From: J. Hugh Sullivan <>
Subject: Re: Anonymous ancestry DNA chat
Full headers:
From: (J. Hugh Sullivan)
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 21:19:30 GMT
On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 11:18:44 -0800 (PST), xyzzy<>

>gf wants to do an Ancestry DNA test.

If she is thinking of Ancestry ( the company) I would advise against
it. They are the most commercial company around. Their ancestry data
is harvested from anyone and everyone without regard to accuracy. One
has to be a very accomplished and diligent researcher to use their
genealogy data. For example Ancestry lists 9 different sets of parents
for my great, great grandfather and no one can prove who they were.
I'll bet my data against anyone.

My YDNA was tested by Family Tree DNA. I can't say they would not sell
the data under certain conditions but they are somewhat secure. Have
you looked at Geno - the National Geographic test group?

What is her purpose? Her DNA is mtDNA and will tell who her mother was
and her mother's mother ad infinitum. It does not work with male
genealogy - she needs a CLOSE male relative for that.

I know my dad and granddad's medical history. But advances in medicine
have changed my prospects. I don't have the same physical infirmaties
as my mother who never had surgery until she broke a hip at 83 and

You are at the point where a little knowledge is a very dangerous
thing. And I think you are being overcautious.

I'm not an expert but, after more than 20 years I probably know more
than the average bear.

A guy here a few years ago IS an expert. His name? Ah disremember!