From: dnrapp <dnrapp@aol.com>
Subject: Re: I like the 4 team CFP
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 06:04:03 -0800 (PST)
From: dnrapp <dnrapp@aol.com>
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 7:29:04 PM UTC-8, michael anderson wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 12:35:53 PM UTC-6, JGibson wrote:
> > Maybe I'm in the minority, but the way I see it, it allows enough teams in to get all the teams
that actually have arguments for #1 while also being small enough to keep the regular season really
exciting.

> agreed....it's ideal imo.
>
> Going to 8 doesn't make sense for another reason as well- that creates another level of
traveling/flying around the country.  Remember these are not 'home' games.  They are neutral site
venues.  When you have Alabama and Georgia especially(and Clemson and Oklahoma are generally good as
well) that makes things better, but can you imagine asking fans of most programs to make 2 and
possible THREE trips to a neutral site end of tournament games?  No way...

Going to 8 adds 4 games. Just plug them into the existing bowl games the week before Christmas. That
week you had bowl games in New Orleans, Las Vegas and Orlando. You just move one of the Texas Bowls
up or move the one in Detroit up and that cuts down on any major traveling.

> this isn't basketball where you can play two games in two days, and only have to fill an arena
before the final four(where four teams/fan bases can share).  You'd be talking about up to 3
different big trips for a team.  Thats just too much to plan around/expect....

> the playoffs have been pretty lucky with the teams they have picked so far, but could you imagine
in years when/if teams like Miami, USC, TCU made it and advanced all through in an 8 team playoff?

> Keeping it at 4 keeps it special for a fan base to some degree.  Move it to 8 and making the
playoff is just expected almost for a few programs.