Next <
From: Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Turns out, the political source of the Steele Dossier was disclosed to the FISA court
Full headers:
From: Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net>
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 15:17:32 -0800

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/02/nunes-fine-the-fbi-did...

>  As Ellen Nakashima reported, the application to wiretap Page did disclose that one of the sources
of intelligence to generate suspicion that Page might be acting illegally came from a political
source. It was mentioned in a footnote on the FISA application. Nunes was asked about this on Fox &
Friends. He did not deny the point. Instead he insisted that it wasn’t good enough because the
disclosure was merely a footnote.

> [...]
>
> Notice how “The FBI LIED about the Steele dossier” has been scaled back to, “The FBI did not
highlight the truth about the Steele Dossier in the part of the application we bothered to read.”
So now the main attack on the FBI is about font size.

Yes, I knew all along that the application said the source is
political. The FBI might have outright lied, or not. But that is
not all: leaving out material facts is against the law. There are
other laws that must be followed when applying for a warrant.

Anyhow, the Nunes memorandum is fine but not the end. The
Grassley/Graham memorandum carries on. I pointed to an article on
it yesterday. You can read the memorandum here. It will answer
some of your questions on the Nunes memorandum

<https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/2018-02-06%20CEG%20LG...).pdf>
<http://tinyurl.com/yauksgjs>

| But here’s the biggest allegation the FBI did not want you to
| see: "This FISA applications are either materially false in
| claiming that Mr. Steele said he did not provide dossier
| information to the press prior to October 2016, or Mr. Steele
| made materially false statements to the FBI when he claimed he
| only provided the dossier information to his business partner and
| the FBI. Mr. Steele’s apparent deception seems to have posed
| significant, material consequences on the FBI’s investigative
| decisions and representations to the court." Even after the FBI
| knew Steele was dishonest, was aware he was a paid agent of a
| presidential candidate, and could not corroborate the dossier’s
| claims, the Bureau continued to use him as the primary—if not the
| only—source to authorize spying on Carter Page. (I hope the
| lawyers are lining up to represent him.)

So the FBI hid from the FISC judge the fact that the political
source was the Clinton campaign.

--
Michael Press