> Prev
From: Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net>
Subject: Delegate Nick Freitas, Virginia House of Delegates
Full headers:
From: Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net>
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 01:14:29 -0800
<https://www.voat.co/v/politics/2431517>

Friday, March 2nd, 2018
Delegate Nick Freitas
Virginia House of Delegates

"So, over the last several days, Mr. Speaker, there's been a lot
of discussion about an "open and honest debate" with respect to
school shootings, gun violence, gun control, etc. An open and
honest debate, as I understand it, is one that would rely on data,
facts, evidence, analysis, reason, logic, etc., etc. And I'm
certainly willing to have that debate.

I think if we were going to look seriously at school shootings and
gun control, we would analyze things like "why do all mass
shootings seem to take place in gun-free zones?" Wouldn't it be
reasonable to test whether or not the efficacy of gun-free zones
have actually achieved what their intended intent is.

[...]

The other reason why it's really difficult to have an honest and
open debate about this is because of members of this body
comparing members on this side of the aisle to Nazis. Members on
the other side of the aisle saying that when a 24 year old teacher
gets up that the whole debate is between the Second Amendment or
her life. That's a false dilemma.

And quite frankly, one of the ones that I found the most offensive
(along with being compared to Nazis) was being compared to
segregationists. I just want to remind everyone of something very
quickly. It was not our party that supported slavery, that fought
women's suffrage, that rounded up tens of thousands of
Asian-Americans and put them in concentration camps, that
supported Jim Crow, that supported segregation, or supported mass
resistance. That wasn't our party. That was the Democrat party.

Now I'm thrilled that Democrats no longer believe that. And I
don't believe that a single current member of this body who is a
Democrat ever believed those things. But I would really appreciate
it if, every time you want to make a powerful point, you don't
project the sins, the atrocities, and the injustices that the
Democratic party perpetrated on others, onto us.

So if we want to have an open and honest debate, I am all for
that. Let's do that. But it does start with a certain degree of
mutual respect. It starts with a certain degree of not assuming
that "the only reason why we believe in the Second Amendment is
because the NRA paid us off." Well if that's the sort of logic you
want to use, why don't you go take a look at how much money the
NRA spends and how much money Planned Parenthood spends. Because
when I get up here and I talk about abortion, I don't assume that
you're all bought and paid for by Planned Parenthood. I don't
assume you're horrible people because I disagree with you on a
policy position. I assume that you have deep convictions and that
we can have an argument and a debate about it. But if you're not
willing to reciprocate that level of respect, well don't be
surprised when it becomes more difficult to talk about these
things.

Because there is a lot that we can do, and there is a lot that we
need to do to ensure the security of our children and our
citizens. But yes, we are going to have a problem with so-called
"solutions" which infringe on people's liberty under the promise
the government will provide for their security. Because
ultimately, in this last school shooting, we had a perfect example
of government being engaged over thirty times and still failing to
provide security for those students.  Thank you, Mr. Speaker."

--
Michael Press