> Prev
Subject: T-Rump Lies About NATO, Gets Publicly Schooled For It
From: Clave <ChrisClavius@TheMonastery.com>
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 14:31:22 -0800
By a former NATO ambassador.  On Twitter, no less.

	Despite what you have heard from the FAKE NEWS, I had a GREAT
	meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel. Nevertheless,
	Germany owes.....
    	Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 18, 2017

	...vast sums of money to NATO & the United States must be paid
	more for the powerful, and very expensive, defense it provides
	to Germany!
	Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 18, 2017

	Ivo Daalder
	@IvoHDaalder
	1/ Sorry, Mr. President, that’s not how NATO works. The US
	decides for itself how much it contributes to defending NATO.

	Ivo Daalder
	@IvoHDaalder
	2/ This is not a financial transaction, where NATO countries pay
	the US to defend them. It is part of our treaty commitment.

	Ivo Daalder
	@IvoHDaalder
	3/ All NATO countries, including Germany, have committed to
	spend 2% of GDP on defense by 2024. So far 5 of 28 NATO
	countries do.

	Ivo Daalder
	@IvoHDaalder
	4/ Those who currently don’t spend 2% of their GDP on defense
	are now increasing their defense budgets. That’s a good thing.

	Ivo Daalder
	@IvoHDaalder
	5/ But no funds will be paid to the US. They are meant to
	increase NATO’s overall defense capabilities, given the growing
	Russian threat.

	Ivo Daalder
	@IvoHDaalder
	6/ Europe must spend more on defense, but not as favor (or
	payment) to the US. But because their security requires it.

	Ivo Daalder
	@IvoHDaalder
	7/ US does provide large military commitment to NATO. But this
	is not a favor to Europe. It is vital for our own security.

	Ivo Daalder
	@IvoHDaalder
	8/ We fought two world wars in Europe, and one cold war. Keeping
	Europe whole, free, and at peace, is vital US interest.

Next <
From: risky biz <swingtrader@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 17:30:37 -0800 (PST)
From: risky biz <swingtrader@gmail.com>
On Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 2:31:00 PM UTC-8, Clave wrote:
> By a former NATO ambassador.  On Twitter, no less.
>
> 	Despite what you have heard from the FAKE NEWS, I had a GREAT
> 	meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel. Nevertheless,
> 	Germany owes.....
>     	Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 18, 2017
>
> 	...vast sums of money to NATO & the United States must be paid
> 	more for the powerful, and very expensive, defense it provides
> 	to Germany!
> 	Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 18, 2017
>
> 	Ivo Daalder
> 	@IvoHDaalder
> 	1/ Sorry, Mr. President, that’s not how NATO works. The US
> 	decides for itself how much it contributes to defending NATO.
>
> 	Ivo Daalder
> 	@IvoHDaalder
> 	2/ This is not a financial transaction, where NATO countries pay
> 	the US to defend them. It is part of our treaty commitment.
>
> 	Ivo Daalder
> 	@IvoHDaalder
> 	3/ All NATO countries, including Germany, have committed to
> 	spend 2% of GDP on defense by 2024. So far 5 of 28 NATO
> 	countries do.
>
> 	Ivo Daalder
> 	@IvoHDaalder
> 	4/ Those who currently don’t spend 2% of their GDP on defense
> 	are now increasing their defense budgets. That’s a good thing.
>
> 	Ivo Daalder
> 	@IvoHDaalder
> 	5/ But no funds will be paid to the US. They are meant to
> 	increase NATO’s overall defense capabilities, given the growing
> 	Russian threat.
>
> 	Ivo Daalder
> 	@IvoHDaalder
> 	6/ Europe must spend more on defense, but not as favor (or
> 	payment) to the US. But because their security requires it.
>
> 	Ivo Daalder
> 	@IvoHDaalder
> 	7/ US does provide large military commitment to NATO. But this
> 	is not a favor to Europe. It is vital for our own security.
>
> 	Ivo Daalder
> 	@IvoHDaalder
> 	8/ We fought two world wars in Europe, and one cold war. Keeping
> 	Europe whole, free, and at peace, is vital US interest.

I think it would be funny as hell if Europe told the US to get out of Europe, increased their
defense spending, and forged closer ties with Russia.