> Prev
From: joeturn <joeturn2@yahoo.com>
Subject: Math Quiz answer
Full headers:
X-Received: by 10.237.36.182 with SMTP id t51mr2478089qtc.12.1517528805236;
Thu, 01 Feb 2018 15:46:45 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 10.31.50.209 with SMTP id y200mr3729807vky.3.1517528804882;
Thu, 01 Feb 2018 15:46:44 -0800 (PST)
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin3!goblin.stu.neva.ru!news.misty.com!border2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!i22no5655079qta.1!news-out.google.com!e39ni1843qtk.1!nntp.google.com!i22no5655074qta.1!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 15:46:44 -0800 (PST)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=107.145.198.173;
posting-account=2BeQgQoAAAA18AOYi_PtjDDNKBsywrG5
NNTP-Posting-Host: 107.145.198.173
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <77021b89-1a6e-4882-be6b-e57469f91c4e@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Math Quiz answer
From: joeturn <joeturn2@yahoo.com>
Injection-Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 23:46:45 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Lines: 16
Print Article
Forward Article
6÷2(1+2) = ? 
This expression can be simplified to yield 9
two ways and not be misunderstood by the majority.
The obvious is to multiply 6/2 by (1+2)
1+2=3 times 6/2=3
thus 3 X 3 = 9

The second way to simplify is to covert it to 
a fraction as shown below.
6(1+2)/2. So you have 
6 x 3 divided by 2
6x3 =18/2
18/2 = 9

*always remove the parenthesis by solving whats in them first.

 It is as simple as 1+2x3 

	
From: Dutch <no@email.com>
Subject: Re: Math Quiz answer
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!peer01.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!post02.iad!fx22.iad.POSTED!not-for-mail
Subject: Re: Math Quiz answer
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
References: <77021b89-1a6e-4882-be6b-e57469f91c4e@googlegroups.com>
From: Dutch <no@email.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/52.6.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <77021b89-1a6e-4882-be6b-e57469f91c4e@googlegroups.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Language: en-US
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Lines: 42
Message-ID: <5DPcC.419$BX2.238@fx22.iad>
X-Complaints-To: abuse@usenetserver.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 02:00:33 UTC
Organization: UsenetServer - www.usenetserver.com
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 18:00:32 -0800
X-Received-Body-CRC: 1645440498
X-Received-Bytes: 1972
Print Article
Forward Article
On 2/1/2018 3:46 PM, joeturn wrote:
>   6÷2(1+2) = ?
> This expression can be simplified to yield 9
> two ways and not be misunderstood by the majority.
> The obvious is to multiply 6/2 by (1+2)
> 1+2=3 times 6/2=3
> thus 3 X 3 = 9
> 
> The second way to simplify is to covert it to
> a fraction as shown below.
> 6(1+2)/2. So you have
> 6 x 3 divided by 2
> 6x3 =18/2
> 18/2 = 9
> 
> *always remove the parenthesis by solving whats in them first.

This expression can be solved to yield 1 several ways using rules that 
are commonly believed to be correct.

6÷2(1+2) = ?
6÷2(3) = ?
prioritize 2(3) as an implied multiplication like ab, so
6÷6=1
or
6÷2(1+2) = ?
the next operation has a name, I forget what it is..
6÷(2+4) = ?
6÷6=1
or
interpret ÷ as a fraction, again
6÷6=1


>   It is as simple as 1+2x3
> 
No it isn't. (6/2)(1+3) is as simple as 1+2x3
6÷2(1+2) = ? is a confusing expression.
https://math.berkeley.edu/~gbergman/misc/numbers/ord_ops.html

I'm not saying 9 is wrong, the expression is poor. Now obsess about 
something else. 

	
From: joeturn <joeturn2@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Math Quiz answer
Full headers:
X-Received: by 10.200.47.19 with SMTP id j19mr28844376qta.2.1517571456875;
Fri, 02 Feb 2018 03:37:36 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 10.31.98.66 with SMTP id w63mr3879451vkb.2.1517571456709; Fri,
02 Feb 2018 03:37:36 -0800 (PST)
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!peer01.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!s47no5972650qta.0!news-out.google.com!g8ni1702qtk.0!nntp.google.com!s47no5972646qta.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 03:37:36 -0800 (PST)
In-Reply-To: <5DPcC.419$BX2.238@fx22.iad>
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=107.145.198.173;
posting-account=2BeQgQoAAAA18AOYi_PtjDDNKBsywrG5
NNTP-Posting-Host: 107.145.198.173
References: <77021b89-1a6e-4882-be6b-e57469f91c4e@googlegroups.com> <5DPcC.419$BX2.238@fx22.iad>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <ee94c70b-a31d-4e76-83b2-66597838e335@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Math Quiz answer
From: joeturn <joeturn2@yahoo.com>
Injection-Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 11:37:36 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Received-Body-CRC: 4208355322
X-Received-Bytes: 2928
Print Article
Forward Article
On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 9:00:37 PM UTC-5, Dutch wrote:
> On 2/1/2018 3:46 PM, joeturn wrote:
> >   6÷2(1+2) = ?
> > This expression can be simplified to yield 9
> > two ways and not be misunderstood by the majority.
> > The obvious is to multiply 6/2 by (1+2)
> > 1+2=3 times 6/2=3
> > thus 3 X 3 = 9
> > 
> > The second way to simplify is to covert it to
> > a fraction as shown below.
> > 6(1+2)/2. So you have
> > 6 x 3 divided by 2
> > 6x3 =18/2
> > 18/2 = 9
> > 
> > *always remove the parenthesis by solving whats in them first.
> 
> This expression can be solved to yield 1 several ways using rules that 
> are commonly believed to be correct.
> 
> 6÷2(1+2) = ?
> 6÷2(3) = ?
> prioritize 2(3) as an implied multiplication like ab, so
> 6÷6=1
> or
> 6÷2(1+2) = ?
> the next operation has a name, I forget what it is..
> 6÷(2+4) = ?
> 6÷6=1
> or
> interpret ÷ as a fraction, again
> 6÷6=1
> 
> 
> >   It is as simple as 1+2x3
> > 
> No it isn't. (6/2)(1+3) is as simple as 1+2x3
> 6÷2(1+2) = ? is a confusing expression.

It is only confusing to the ones that flunked algebra

> https://math.berkeley.edu/~gbergman/misc/numbers/ord_ops.html
> 
> I'm not saying 9 is wrong, the expression is poor. Now obsess about 
> something else.

BULL SHIT you know not of what you speak.

When you solve what is inside of the parenthesis. They are automatically removed from the expression.

6÷2(1+2) = ?
6÷2(3) = ?  so this (3) does not exist anymore it turns into
6÷2 x 3 = you idiot. 

	
From: Dutch <no@email.com>
Subject: Re: Math Quiz answer
Full headers:
X-Received: by 10.55.27.28 with SMTP id b28mr4759180qkb.26.1517601046381;
Fri, 02 Feb 2018 11:50:46 -0800 (PST)
Path: news.netfront.net!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!s47no6233594qta.0!news-out.google.com!e39ni2031qtk.1!nntp.google.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!post02.iad!fx06.iad.POSTED!not-for-mail
Subject: Re: Math Quiz answer
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
References: <77021b89-1a6e-4882-be6b-e57469f91c4e@googlegroups.com>
<5DPcC.419$BX2.238@fx22.iad>
<ee94c70b-a31d-4e76-83b2-66597838e335@googlegroups.com>
From: Dutch <no@email.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/52.6.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <ee94c70b-a31d-4e76-83b2-66597838e335@googlegroups.com>
Lines: 59
Message-ID: <pi3dC.15908$UK7.1601@fx06.iad>
X-Complaints-To: abuse@usenetserver.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 19:50:45 UTC
Organization: UsenetServer - www.usenetserver.com
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 11:50:45 -0800
X-Received-Bytes: 2497
X-Received-Body-CRC: 1930832980
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Language: en-US
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Original-Bytes: 2435
Print Article
Forward Article
On 2/2/2018 3:37 AM, joeturn wrote:
> On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 9:00:37 PM UTC-5, Dutch wrote:
>> On 2/1/2018 3:46 PM, joeturn wrote:
>>>    6÷2(1+2) = ?
>>> This expression can be simplified to yield 9
>>> two ways and not be misunderstood by the majority.
>>> The obvious is to multiply 6/2 by (1+2)
>>> 1+2=3 times 6/2=3
>>> thus 3 X 3 = 9
>>>
>>> The second way to simplify is to covert it to
>>> a fraction as shown below.
>>> 6(1+2)/2. So you have
>>> 6 x 3 divided by 2
>>> 6x3 =18/2
>>> 18/2 = 9
>>>
>>> *always remove the parenthesis by solving whats in them first.
>>
>> This expression can be solved to yield 1 several ways using rules that
>> are commonly believed to be correct.
>>
>> 6÷2(1+2) = ?
>> 6÷2(3) = ?
>> prioritize 2(3) as an implied multiplication like ab, so
>> 6÷6=1
>> or
>> 6÷2(1+2) = ?
>> the next operation has a name, I forget what it is..
>> 6÷(2+4) = ?
>> 6÷6=1
>> or
>> interpret ÷ as a fraction, again
>> 6÷6=1
>>
>>
>>>    It is as simple as 1+2x3
>>>
>> No it isn't. (6/2)(1+3) is as simple as 1+2x3
>> 6÷2(1+2) = ? is a confusing expression.
> 
> It is only confusing to the ones that flunked algebra
> 
>> https://math.berkeley.edu/~gbergman/misc/numbers/ord_ops.html
>>
>> I'm not saying 9 is wrong, the expression is poor. Now obsess about
>> something else.
> 
> BULL SHIT you know not of what you speak.
> 
> When you solve what is inside of the parenthesis. They are automatically removed from the
expression.

Says who?

> 6÷2(1+2) = ?
> 6÷2(3) = ?  so this (3) does not exist anymore it turns into
> 6÷2 x 3 = you idiot. 

	
From: BTSinAustin <btsinaustin@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Math Quiz answer
Full headers:
X-Received: by 10.55.100.145 with SMTP id y139mr4989780qkb.56.1517591576914;
Fri, 02 Feb 2018 09:12:56 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 10.31.180.205 with SMTP id d196mr3451630vkf.10.1517591576664;
Fri, 02 Feb 2018 09:12:56 -0800 (PST)
Path: news.netfront.net!newsgate.cuhk.edu.hk!border2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!s47no6148182qta.0!news-out.google.com!e39ni2019qtk.1!nntp.google.com!s47no6148177qta.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 09:12:56 -0800 (PST)
In-Reply-To: <77021b89-1a6e-4882-be6b-e57469f91c4e@googlegroups.com>
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=70.112.37.10; posting-account=fHocpwoAAABQL-d-c6hsspXXKXpwm6pS
NNTP-Posting-Host: 70.112.37.10
References: <77021b89-1a6e-4882-be6b-e57469f91c4e@googlegroups.com>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <f4b6939a-ba15-414e-82a8-443cd1f3a530@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Math Quiz answer
From: BTSinAustin <btsinaustin@gmail.com>
Injection-Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 17:12:56 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Lines: 22
Print Article
Forward Article
On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 5:46:50 PM UTC-6, joeturn wrote:
> 6÷2(1+2) = ? 
> This expression can be simplified to yield 9
> two ways and not be misunderstood by the majority.
> The obvious is to multiply 6/2 by (1+2)
> 1+2=3 times 6/2=3
> thus 3 X 3 = 9
> 
> The second way to simplify is to covert it to 
> a fraction as shown below.
> 6(1+2)/2. So you have 
> 6 x 3 divided by 2
> 6x3 =18/2
> 18/2 = 9
> 
> *always remove the parenthesis by solving whats in them first.
> 
>  It is as simple as 1+2x3


But let's not forget that the number nine was really played by Morgan Freeman. 

	
From: popinjay <paulpopinjay@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Math Quiz answer
Full headers:
X-Received: by 10.55.73.12 with SMTP id w12mr28022502qka.12.1517602622208;
Fri, 02 Feb 2018 12:17:02 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 10.31.98.66 with SMTP id w63mr4031150vkb.2.1517602621720; Fri,
02 Feb 2018 12:17:01 -0800 (PST)
Path: news.netfront.net!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!s47no6247526qta.0!news-out.google.com!e39ni2056qtk.1!nntp.google.com!i22no6250115qta.1!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 12:17:01 -0800 (PST)
In-Reply-To: <f4b6939a-ba15-414e-82a8-443cd1f3a530@googlegroups.com>
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=2001:558:6012:3:65b0:9fc4:6c82:2108;
posting-account=d1PVKAoAAADguuVHWrfpPTDYHdAHy9dL
NNTP-Posting-Host: 2001:558:6012:3:65b0:9fc4:6c82:2108
References: <77021b89-1a6e-4882-be6b-e57469f91c4e@googlegroups.com> <f4b6939a-ba15-414e-82a8-443cd1f3a530@googlegroups.com>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <887b5741-e5e1-4d29-9632-e2b324588bba@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Math Quiz answer
From: popinjay <paulpopinjay@sbcglobal.net>
Injection-Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 20:17:02 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Lines: 26
Print Article
Forward Article
On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 9:13:04 AM UTC-8, BTSinAustin wrote:
> On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 5:46:50 PM UTC-6, joeturn wrote:
> > 6÷2(1+2) = ? 
> > This expression can be simplified to yield 9
> > two ways and not be misunderstood by the majority.
> > The obvious is to multiply 6/2 by (1+2)
> > 1+2=3 times 6/2=3
> > thus 3 X 3 = 9
> > 
> > The second way to simplify is to covert it to 
> > a fraction as shown below.
> > 6(1+2)/2. So you have 
> > 6 x 3 divided by 2
> > 6x3 =18/2
> > 18/2 = 9
> > 
> > *always remove the parenthesis by solving whats in them first.
> > 
> >  It is as simple as 1+2x3
> 
> 
> But let's not forget that the number nine was really played by Morgan Freeman.



number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine 

	
Next <
From: joeturn <joeturn2@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Math Quiz answer
Full headers:
X-Received: by 10.200.7.4 with SMTP id g4mr5359691qth.50.1517623413465;
Fri, 02 Feb 2018 18:03:33 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 10.31.49.86 with SMTP id x83mr4096359vkx.0.1517623413245; Fri,
02 Feb 2018 18:03:33 -0800 (PST)
Path: news.netfront.net!newsgate.cuhk.edu.hk!border2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!s47no6409732qta.0!news-out.google.com!e39ni2090qtk.1!nntp.google.com!s47no6409731qta.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 18:03:32 -0800 (PST)
In-Reply-To: <f4b6939a-ba15-414e-82a8-443cd1f3a530@googlegroups.com>
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=107.145.198.173;
posting-account=2BeQgQoAAAA18AOYi_PtjDDNKBsywrG5
NNTP-Posting-Host: 107.145.198.173
References: <77021b89-1a6e-4882-be6b-e57469f91c4e@googlegroups.com> <f4b6939a-ba15-414e-82a8-443cd1f3a530@googlegroups.com>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <e04b4aef-8007-4c70-b7c2-5464d40c3ff1@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Math Quiz answer
From: joeturn <joeturn2@yahoo.com>
Injection-Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 02:03:33 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Lines: 25
Print Article
Forward Article
On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 12:13:04 PM UTC-5, BTSinAustin wrote:
> On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 5:46:50 PM UTC-6, joeturn wrote:
> > 6÷2(1+2) = ? 
> > This expression can be simplified to yield 9
> > two ways and not be misunderstood by the majority.
> > The obvious is to multiply 6/2 by (1+2)
> > 1+2=3 times 6/2=3
> > thus 3 X 3 = 9
> > 
> > The second way to simplify is to covert it to 
> > a fraction as shown below.
> > 6(1+2)/2. So you have 
> > 6 x 3 divided by 2
> > 6x3 =18/2
> > 18/2 = 9
> > 
> > *always remove the parenthesis by solving whats in them first.
> > 
> >  It is as simple as 1+2x3
> 
> 
> But let's not forget that the number nine was really played by Morgan Freeman.

https://wadevenden.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/when-jimmy-hendrix-is-mo...