> Prev
From: irishranger317 <irishranger317@gmail.com>
Subject: Watching, or not watching, the Oscars
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 17:38:27 -0800 (PST)
From: irishranger317@gmail.com
I used to watch the Oscars back when they were still about movies and movie stars.  But now it's
just a left wing political platform for bashing America, conservatives and traditional values.  And
the liberal's hysterical, frothing at the mouth hatred for President Trump, since he defeated
Hillary Clinton,
has gone completely off the rails.

Also, given the recent mass exposure of the sexual harassment culture that has infested Hollywood
for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally superior preaching
about
the short-comings in the conduct of we "deplorables".

That said, there is still one small part of the Oscars that I do watch, which is the Memoriam segment
where they pay fleeting homage to the movie stars who have passed away.  It seem fitting to spend
a minute or two acknowledging the life and work of these actors and the memories they created.
I only wish they would make the segment longer and, maybe some day, do a special tribute to the
movie stats who were some how over looked and not shown, back when they passed away.

So I record the Oscars, fast forward to the Memoriam, watch it and then hit delete.

Irish Mike

From: Travel <travel9599@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Watching, or not watching, the Oscars
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 18:17:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Travel <travel9599@gmail.com>
On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 8:38:38 PM UTC-5, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> I used to watch the Oscars back when they were still about movies and movie stars.  But now it's
> just a left wing political platform for bashing America, conservatives and traditional values.  And
> the liberal's hysterical, frothing at the mouth hatred for President Trump, since he defeated
Hillary Clinton,
> has gone completely off the rails.
>
> Also, given the recent mass exposure of the sexual harassment culture that has infested Hollywood
for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally superior preaching
about
> the short-comings in the conduct of we "deplorables".
>
> That said, there is still one small part of the Oscars that I do watch, which is the Memoriam
segment
> where they pay fleeting homage to the movie stars who have passed away.  It seem fitting to spend
> a minute or two acknowledging the life and work of these actors and the memories they created.
> I only wish they would make the segment longer and, maybe some day, do a special tribute to the
> movie stats who were some how over looked and not shown, back when they passed away.
>
> So I record the Oscars, fast forward to the Memoriam, watch it and then hit delete.
>
> Irish Mike

Odd you missed "Travel's Annual (5th) Academy Awards Picks" for the last fives years.

Asshole

From: risky biz <swingtrader@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 21:11:35 -0800 (PST)
From: risky biz <swingtrader@gmail.com>
On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 6:17:17 PM UTC-8, Travel wrote:
> On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 8:38:38 PM UTC-5, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I used to watch the Oscars back when they were still about movies and movie stars.  But now it's
> > just a left wing political platform for bashing America, conservatives and traditional values.
And
> > the liberal's hysterical, frothing at the mouth hatred for President Trump, since he defeated
Hillary Clinton,
> > has gone completely off the rails.
> >
> > Also, given the recent mass exposure of the sexual harassment culture that has infested
Hollywood for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally superior
preaching about
> > the short-comings in the conduct of we "deplorables".
> >
> > That said, there is still one small part of the Oscars that I do watch, which is the Memoriam
segment
> > where they pay fleeting homage to the movie stars who have passed away.  It seem fitting to spend
> > a minute or two acknowledging the life and work of these actors and the memories they created.
> > I only wish they would make the segment longer and, maybe some day, do a special tribute to the
> > movie stats who were some how over looked and not shown, back when they passed away.
> >
> > So I record the Oscars, fast forward to the Memoriam, watch it and then hit delete.
> >
> > Irish Mike
>
> Odd you missed "Travel's Annual (5th) Academy Awards Picks" for the last fives years.
>
> Asshole

I consider this undeniable proof that 'travel' is capable of surefooted, erudite, and lucid
commentary. Kudos, 'travel'.

From: Travel <travel9599@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 10:32:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Travel <travel9599@gmail.com>
On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 12:11:47 AM UTC-5, risky biz wrote:
> On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 6:17:17 PM UTC-8, Travel wrote:
> > On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 8:38:38 PM UTC-5, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > I used to watch the Oscars back when they were still about movies and movie stars.  But now
it's
> > > just a left wing political platform for bashing America, conservatives and traditional values.
 And
> > > the liberal's hysterical, frothing at the mouth hatred for President Trump, since he defeated
Hillary Clinton,
> > > has gone completely off the rails.
> > >
> > > Also, given the recent mass exposure of the sexual harassment culture that has infested
Hollywood for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally superior
preaching about
> > > the short-comings in the conduct of we "deplorables".
> > >
> > > That said, there is still one small part of the Oscars that I do watch, which is the Memoriam
segment
> > > where they pay fleeting homage to the movie stars who have passed away.  It seem fitting to
spend
> > > a minute or two acknowledging the life and work of these actors and the memories they created.
> > > I only wish they would make the segment longer and, maybe some day, do a special tribute to the
> > > movie stats who were some how over looked and not shown, back when they passed away.
> > >
> > > So I record the Oscars, fast forward to the Memoriam, watch it and then hit delete.
> > >
> > > Irish Mike
> >
> > Odd you missed "Travel's Annual (5th) Academy Awards Picks" for the last fives years.
> >
> > Asshole
>
> I consider this undeniable proof that 'travel' is capable of surefooted, erudite, and lucid
commentary. Kudos, 'travel'.

The Popinjay doesn't agree.

From: popinjay <paulpopinjay@sbcglobal.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 13:16:43 -0800 (PST)
From: popinjay <paulpopinjay@sbcglobal.net>
On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 10:32:18 AM UTC-8, Travel wrote:
> On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 12:11:47 AM UTC-5, risky biz wrote:

Hollywood for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally superior
preaching about

Memoriam segment

> > > Odd you missed "Travel's Annual (5th) Academy Awards Picks" for the last fives years.
> > >
> > > Asshole
> >
> > I consider this undeniable proof that 'travel' is capable of surefooted, erudite, and lucid
commentary. Kudos, 'travel'.

> The Popinjay doesn't agree.

I think you are one of the very most intelligent and clear-thinking RGPers ever.

And, you are colorful, in an odd sort of way.  A very interesting fellow.

From: irishranger317 <irishranger317@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 06:34:59 -0800 (PST)
From: irishranger317@gmail.com
On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 9:17:17 PM UTC-5, Travel wrote:
> On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 8:38:38 PM UTC-5, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I used to watch the Oscars back when they were still about movies and movie stars.  But now it's
> > just a left wing political platform for bashing America, conservatives and traditional values.
And
> > the liberal's hysterical, frothing at the mouth hatred for President Trump, since he defeated
Hillary Clinton,
> > has gone completely off the rails.
> >
> > Also, given the recent mass exposure of the sexual harassment culture that has infested
Hollywood for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally superior
preaching about
> > the short-comings in the conduct of we "deplorables".
> >
> > That said, there is still one small part of the Oscars that I do watch, which is the Memoriam
segment
> > where they pay fleeting homage to the movie stars who have passed away.  It seem fitting to spend
> > a minute or two acknowledging the life and work of these actors and the memories they created.
> > I only wish they would make the segment longer and, maybe some day, do a special tribute to the
> > movie stats who were some how over looked and not shown, back when they passed away.
> >
> > So I record the Oscars, fast forward to the Memoriam, watch it and then hit delete.
> >
> > Irish Mike
>
> Odd you missed "Travel's Annual (5th) Academy Awards Picks" for the last fives years.
>
> Asshole

No, I did not read your Oscar post(s).  I stated my own opinion which, apparently, offends you.

Irish Mike

From: Travel <travel9599@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 09:07:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Travel <travel9599@gmail.com>
On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 9:35:13 AM UTC-5, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 9:17:17 PM UTC-5, Travel wrote:
> > On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 8:38:38 PM UTC-5, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > I used to watch the Oscars back when they were still about movies and movie stars.  But now
it's
> > > just a left wing political platform for bashing America, conservatives and traditional values.
 And
> > > the liberal's hysterical, frothing at the mouth hatred for President Trump, since he defeated
Hillary Clinton,
> > > has gone completely off the rails.
> > >
> > > Also, given the recent mass exposure of the sexual harassment culture that has infested
Hollywood for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally superior
preaching about
> > > the short-comings in the conduct of we "deplorables".
> > >
> > > That said, there is still one small part of the Oscars that I do watch, which is the Memoriam
segment
> > > where they pay fleeting homage to the movie stars who have passed away.  It seem fitting to
spend
> > > a minute or two acknowledging the life and work of these actors and the memories they created.
> > > I only wish they would make the segment longer and, maybe some day, do a special tribute to the
> > > movie stats who were some how over looked and not shown, back when they passed away.
> > >
> > > So I record the Oscars, fast forward to the Memoriam, watch it and then hit delete.
> > >
> > > Irish Mike
> >
> > Odd you missed "Travel's Annual (5th) Academy Awards Picks" for the last fives years.
> >
> > Asshole
>
> No, I did not read your Oscar post(s).  I stated my own opinion which, apparently, offends you.
>
> Irish Mike

No, your opinion post doesn't offend me, you offend me.

From: irishranger317 <irishranger317@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 11:11:23 -0800 (PST)
From: irishranger317@gmail.com
On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 12:07:14 PM UTC-5, Travel wrote:
> On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 9:35:13 AM UTC-5, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:

Hollywood for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally superior
preaching about

Memoriam segment

> > > Odd you missed "Travel's Annual (5th) Academy Awards Picks" for the last fives years.
> > >
> > > Asshole
> >
> > No, I did not read your Oscar post(s).  I stated my own opinion which, apparently, offends you.
> >
> > Irish Mike
>
> No, your opinion post doesn't offend me, you offend me.

Then don't read my posts.

Irish Mike

From: risky biz <swingtrader@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 04:34:59 -0800 (PST)
From: risky biz <swingtrader@gmail.com>
On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 11:11:34 AM UTC-8, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 12:07:14 PM UTC-5, Travel wrote:

Hollywood for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally superior
preaching about

Memoriam segment

> > > No, I did not read your Oscar post(s).  I stated my own opinion which, apparently, offends you.
> > >
> > > Irish Mike
> >
> > No, your opinion post doesn't offend me, you offend me.
>
> Then don't read my posts.
>
> Irish Mike

'travel' winged you good. You're losing altitude.

From: Travel <travel9599@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 06:36:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Travel <travel9599@gmail.com>
On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 2:11:34 PM UTC-5, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 12:07:14 PM UTC-5, Travel wrote:

Hollywood for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally superior
preaching about

Memoriam segment

> > > No, I did not read your Oscar post(s).  I stated my own opinion which, apparently, offends you.
> > >
> > > Irish Mike
> >
> > No, your opinion post doesn't offend me, you offend me.
>
> Then don't read my posts.
>
> Irish Mike

Just pointing out how odd it is, your being a movie fan and all, and especially, on the same
"political side," that you couldn't force yourself to just drop-a-line on "Travel's Annual (5th)
Academy Awards Picks."

From: popinjay <paulpopinjay@sbcglobal.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 07:32:42 -0800 (PST)
From: popinjay <paulpopinjay@sbcglobal.net>
On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 6:36:58 AM UTC-8, Travel wrote:

> Just pointing out how odd it is, your being a movie fan and all, and especially, on the same
"political side," that you couldn't force yourself to just drop-a-line on "Travel's Annual (5th)
Academy Awards Picks."

I RARELY see any movies.  But now I want to see the one about the fish.

From: Travel <travel9599@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 09:58:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Travel <travel9599@gmail.com>
On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 10:32:54 AM UTC-5, popinjay wrote:
> On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 6:36:58 AM UTC-8, Travel wrote:
>

> > Just pointing out how odd it is, your being a movie fan and all, and especially, on the same
"political side," that you couldn't force yourself to just drop-a-line on "Travel's Annual (5th)
Academy Awards Picks."

> I RARELY see any movies.  But now I want to see the one about the fish.

It really is kinda disgusting. Michael Shannon played a good character as a government security
specialist, but out of all the awards the thing got, that's never even mentioned.

From: irishranger317 <irishranger317@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 07:33:04 -0800 (PST)
From: irishranger317@gmail.com
On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 9:36:58 AM UTC-5, Travel wrote:
> On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 2:11:34 PM UTC-5, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:

Hollywood for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally superior
preaching about

Memoriam segment

> > > No, your opinion post doesn't offend me, you offend me.
> >
> > Then don't read my posts.
> >
> > Irish Mike
>
> Just pointing out how odd it is, your being a movie fan and all, and especially, on the same
"political side," that you couldn't force yourself to just drop-a-line on "Travel's Annual (5th)
Academy Awards Picks."

Fair enough.  I just read your Oscar post, and it was informative.  I am a movie fan but very rarely
go to a theater.  i wait for the movie to come on AT&T U-Verse or Netflix so I am usually a couple
of months behind seeing new releases.

Of the major films, the only ones I've seen are "Get Out", "Dunkirk" and "Wind river".
 I have "Darkest Hour", "The Shape of Water" and "Three Billboards" in my queue.
I was surprised to see "Get Out" on the list for any thing.  It was a mediocre horror film
at best so I assume it was included because of the black actors and pro-black theme.

I really enjoyed "Wind River" and thought it was under rated.  "Dunkirk" was good but
seemed a little "movies-by-the-book" for lack of a better term.  The two movies
I am really looking forward to seeing are "Hostiles" and The Ballad of Lefty Brown".

You also mentioned "John Wick 2".  I enjoyed the original "John Wick" but the second
installment was just typical, predictable over-the-top Hollywood rubbish.

That said, I stand by my original statement.  The Oscars have devolved into a

From: dsm <dsm1@rock.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 07:57:40 -0800 (PST)
From: dsm <dsm1@rock.com>

> I was surprised to see "Get Out" on the list for any thing.  It was a mediocre horror film at best

I was digging this movie until the third act. From there on until the end, all the creativity just
drained from the story (on par with "The Island of Dr. Moreau").

From: popinjay <paulpopinjay@sbcglobal.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 08:18:45 -0800 (PST)
From: popinjay <paulpopinjay@sbcglobal.net>
Thanks for the link, DSM.

From: dsm <dsm1@rock.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 08:47:30 -0800 (PST)
From: dsm <dsm1@rock.com>
On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 8:18:55 AM UTC-8, popinjay wrote:
> Thanks for the link, DSM.

De nada.

From: VegasJerry <jerryst@cox.net>
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin1!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed9.news.xs4all.nl!feeder.erje.net!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!border1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!r16no3942217qtn.1!news-out.google.com!a13ni783qtd.1!nntp.google.com!r16no3942213qtn.1!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 10:36:34 -0800 (PST)
From: VegasJerry <jerryst@cox.net>
On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 7:33:17 AM UTC-8, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:

> That said, I stand by my original statement.

That you obviously Cut & Paste.

> The Oscars have devolved into a "left wing political platform for bashing
> America, conservatives and traditional values."

Except it didn't, and you can't show where it did.
(Maybe two minor instances because everybody
 already knows what idiots you and the GOP are).

From: Travel <travel9599@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 11:13:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Travel <travel9599@gmail.com>
On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 10:33:17 AM UTC-5, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 9:36:58 AM UTC-5, Travel wrote:
But now it's

infested Hollywood for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally
superior preaching about

Memoriam segment

> > > Then don't read my posts.
> > >
> > > Irish Mike
> >
> > Just pointing out how odd it is, your being a movie fan and all, and especially, on the same
"political side," that you couldn't force yourself to just drop-a-line on "Travel's Annual (5th)
Academy Awards Picks."

> Fair enough.  I just read your Oscar post, and it was informative.  I am a movie fan but very
rarely
> go to a theater.  i wait for the movie to come on AT&T U-Verse or Netflix so I am usually a couple
> of months behind seeing new releases.
>
> Of the major films, the only ones I've seen are "Get Out", "Dunkirk" and "Wind river".
>  I have "Darkest Hour", "The Shape of Water" and "Three Billboards" in my queue.
> I was surprised to see "Get Out" on the list for any thing.  It was a mediocre horror film
> at best so I assume it was included because of the black actors and pro-black theme.
>
> I really enjoyed "Wind River" and thought it was under rated.  "Dunkirk" was good but
> seemed a little "movies-by-the-book" for lack of a better term.  The two movies
> I am really looking forward to seeing are "Hostiles" and The Ballad of Lefty Brown".
>
> You also mentioned "John Wick 2".  I enjoyed the original "John Wick" but the second
> installment was just typical, predictable over-the-top Hollywood rubbish.
>
> That said, I stand by my original statement.  The Oscars have devolved into a
> "left wing political platform for bashing America, conservatives and traditional values."
>
> Irish Mike

Ya, but, why didn't you post this on "Travel's Annual (5th) Academy Awards Thread?" And describing
it as "informative" is about as borderline-snub as it gets.

It's like your daughter getting married, and at the wedding, someone telling you that she looks
adequate.

You went all the way back-to your thread, to post about my thread.

See what I'm saying, something odd about this? Can't just post something like, "thanks," and be done
with it?

Okay, With "Get Out," I thought that it was well-acted and held my attention well, throughout.

It also was by far the best horror movie of the year, with a relatively inspired storyline, and I
thought it deserved a shout-out as a clearly entertaining movie.

I'm not writing: "Travel's Flawless Movies Of The year." That would be a very short list.

Understand that, when dealing with a single year's "best movies," you're dealing with a comparative
study; one can't use a years-past "all-time best" horror movie as a baseline, for example.

You'll like "Hostiles" no doubt, and I'm pretty sure that You'll like "The Ballad Of Lefty Brown;"
it's a traditional-style western with a good ending..

With "John Wick: chapter 2," again, no, it wasn't quite as good as the original, but the original
was last year. This year, it was the best of it's kind, imo.

No, a "best of it's kind" criteria doesn't necessarily translate into one of the "best of the year,"
but I thought that "John Wick: chapter 2" was a good example of "if you liked last year's ("John
Wick" movie), here's more of the same, and it's pretty close to being as good as the original."

Okay, you managed to cherry pick a couple to disagree with, and that's fine (the disagreement part).

I'd thank you for the response, but it's your thread.

From: irishranger317 <irishranger317@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 12:06:22 -0800 (PST)
From: irishranger317@gmail.com
On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 2:14:11 PM UTC-5, Travel wrote:
> [...]
example.

> You'll like "Hostiles" no doubt, and I'm pretty sure that You'll like "The Ballad Of Lefty Brown;"
it's a traditional-style western with a good ending.

> With "John Wick: chapter 2," again, no, it wasn't quite as good as the original, but the original
was last year. This year, it was the best of it's kind, imo.

> No, a "best of it's kind" criteria doesn't necessarily translate into one of the "best of the
year," but I thought that "John Wick: chapter 2" was a good example of "if you liked last year's
("John Wick" movie), here's more of the same, and it's pretty close to being as good as the
original."

> Okay, you managed to cherry pick a couple to disagree with, and that's fine (the disagreement
part).

> I'd thank you for the response, but it's your thread.

LOL! Are you serious?  I honestly have absolutely no idea why your post about the Oscars
is so important to you.  Or why it matters where I post my opinion about the Oscars.  But I'll
tell you what.  I will make a special response, just for you on, your Oscar thread.

Irish Mike

From: risky biz <swingtrader@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 11:24:38 -0800 (PST)
From: risky biz <swingtrader@gmail.com>
On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 7:33:17 AM UTC-8, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 9:36:58 AM UTC-5, Travel wrote:
But now it's

infested Hollywood for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally
superior preaching about

Memoriam segment

> > > Then don't read my posts.
> > >
> > > Irish Mike
> >
> > Just pointing out how odd it is, your being a movie fan and all, and especially, on the same
"political side," that you couldn't force yourself to just drop-a-line on "Travel's Annual (5th)
Academy Awards Picks."

> Fair enough.  I just read your Oscar post, and it was informative.  I am a movie fan but very
rarely
> go to a theater.  i wait for the movie to come on AT&T U-Verse or Netflix so I am usually a couple
> of months behind seeing new releases.
>
> Of the major films, the only ones I've seen are "Get Out", "Dunkirk" and "Wind river".
>  I have "Darkest Hour", "The Shape of Water" and "Three Billboards" in my queue.
> I was surprised to see "Get Out" on the list for any thing.  It was a mediocre horror film
> at best so I assume it was included because of the black actors and pro-black theme.
>
> I really enjoyed "Wind River" and thought it was under rated.  "Dunkirk" was good but
> seemed a little "movies-by-the-book" for lack of a better term.  The two movies
> I am really looking forward to seeing are "Hostiles" and The Ballad of Lefty Brown".
>
> You also mentioned "John Wick 2".  I enjoyed the original "John Wick" but the second
> installment was just typical, predictable over-the-top Hollywood rubbish.
>
> That said, I stand by my original statement.  The Oscars have devolved into a
> "left wing political platform for bashing America, conservatives and traditional values."
>
> Irish Mike

Irish Mike hijacked 'travel's' thread into his thread. Now that's a smooth operator.

From: VegasJerry <jerryst@cox.net>
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!weretis.net!feeder4.news.weretis.net!border2.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!r16no3381737qtn.1!news-out.google.com!m4ni951qte.0!nntp.google.com!r16no3381731qtn.1!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 07:52:43 -0800 (PST)
From: VegasJerry <jerryst@cox.net>
On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 5:38:38 PM UTC-8, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> I used to watch the Oscars back when they

Who give a fuck. You're still dodging & cutting & pasting and have NOT posted those lists. Get
crack'n asshle.

> But now it's just a left wing political platform for bashing America

No, it's not, and you can't show where it is.
Now post the lists for run off again...

From: irishranger317 <irishranger317@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 05:00:10 -0800 (PST)
From: irishranger317@gmail.com
On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 8:38:38 PM UTC-5, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> I used to watch the Oscars back when they were still about movies and movie stars.  But now it's
> just a left wing political platform for bashing America, conservatives and traditional values.  And
> the liberal's hysterical, frothing at the mouth hatred for President Trump, since he defeated
Hillary Clinton,
> has gone completely off the rails.
>
> Also, given the recent mass exposure of the sexual harassment culture that has infested Hollywood
for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally superior preaching
about
> the short-comings in the conduct of we "deplorables".
>
> That said, there is still one small part of the Oscars that I do watch, which is the Memoriam
segment
> where they pay fleeting homage to the movie stars who have passed away.  It seem fitting to spend
> a minute or two acknowledging the life and work of these actors and the memories they created.
> I only wish they would make the segment longer and, maybe some day, do a special tribute to the
> movie stats who were some how over looked and not shown, back when they passed away.
>
> So I record the Oscars, fast forward to the Memoriam, watch it and then hit delete.
>
> Irish Mike

This story appeared today, the day after the Oscars:

"The 2018 Oscars “In Memoriam” segment got an "incomplete" grade from fans after stars including
Adam West, Glen Campbell and David Cassidy were left out of the prestigious montage.

The awards show always honors Hollywood actors, singers and filmmakers who died in the last year.
Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder performed Tom Petty’s “Room at the Top,” a tribute to the late
singer, who died last October. The “In Memoriam” segment featured stars such as Sir Roger Moore,
Don Rickles, Harry Dean Stanton and Jerry Lewis.

Watchers on social media, however, were quick to point out West, known for playing Batman in the
1960s TV series, was snubbed in the segment. West died last June after battling leukemia.
Campbell, who died last August at 81, starred in the 1969 film “True Grit” and was nominated for
best original song, "I'm Not Going to Miss You," in 2015.

Other people left out of the “In Memoriam” segment included “Harlem Nights” actress Della
Reese, “The Lion King” actor Robert Guillaume, “Fraiser” star John Mahoney, "Gomer Pyle"s
Jim Nabors, "The Partridge Family" star David Cassidy, "Magnum P.I." actor John Hillerman, “Texas
Chainsaw Massacre” director Tobe Hooper, “Written on the Wind” actress Dorothy Malone, and
“House of Cards” actor Reg. E. Cathey.

Some people also argued that “M*A*S*H” star David Ogden Stiers should have been honored in the
segment, though he died a day before the awards show. However, the Oscars did manage to add Bill
Paxton into last year's "In Memoriam," who also died a day before the 2017 Academy Awards. "

Irish Mike

Next <
From: risky biz <swingtrader@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 13:06:25 -0800 (PST)
From: risky biz <swingtrader@gmail.com>
On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 5:00:26 AM UTC-8, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> Campbell, who died last August at 81, starred in the 1969 film “True Grit” and was nominated
for best original song, "I'm Not Going to Miss You," in 2015.

> Other people left out of the “In Memoriam” segment included “Harlem Nights” actress Della
Reese, “The Lion King” actor Robert Guillaume, “Fraiser” star John Mahoney, "Gomer Pyle"s
Jim Nabors, "The Partridge Family" star David Cassidy, "Magnum P.I." actor John Hillerman, “Texas
Chainsaw Massacre” director Tobe Hooper, “Written on the Wind” actress Dorothy Malone, and
“House of Cards” actor Reg. E. Cathey.

> Some people also argued that “M*A*S*H” star David Ogden Stiers should have been honored in the
segment, though he died a day before the awards show. However, the Oscars did manage to add Bill
Paxton into last year's "In Memoriam," who also died a day before the 2017 Academy Awards. "

It isn't realistic to expect them to include every lesser-known celebrity in the tribute. It isn't
an 'everyone in the world who died last year' exercise. The only recognizable ones to most people
are Glen Campbell and Jim Nabors. But seriously: Glen Campbell-Jim Nabors/Tom Petty?

OK. I just now did a search and see you cut and pasted this from Fox News. So let me guess. Fox News
compiled a list of Republican semi-celebrities and unknowns that they want to whine about not
getting top billing along with people who ARE well-known. Sheesh. Was Jerry Lewis a 'leftist'? LOL.