> Prev
From: irishranger317 <irishranger317@gmail.com>
Subject: Just watched "Breaking Bad" - my opinion of the series
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 05:53:26 -0800 (PST)
From: irishranger317@gmail.com
I just finished watching all five seasons of "Breaking Bad" on Netflix Streaming.  I'm not sure why
I never watched this series live, because I'd generally heard good things about it.  Anyway, I
thought
it was very good and is definitely worth the time to watch.  In fact, I was even a little
disappointed
when it ended.

I thought the writing was particularly good with a lot of plot twists I didn't see coming.  Just when
you thought you knew where a particular situation was headed, the writers would flip it around,
in a believable way.  The series conclusion was also better than average.

The acting was also excellent.  There were several very good supporting characters including
Saul the shylock lawyer, Mike the private investigator and Gus the drug gang leader.
The only character that got to be a little irritating was Jesse, the dope-head drug cook.

In that regard it reminded me of the HBO series "Ray Donovan".  If Ray would have just killed
his father (John Voight) half of his problems would be solved.  The same with Jesse.  If Walt
(Bryan Cranston) would have gotten rid of Jesse, half of his problems would have been solved.

Bottom-line: "Breaking Bad" was one of the best TV series I've watched and I'd recommend it
for most TV buffs.

Irish Mike

From: irishranger317 <irishranger317@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 05:57:14 -0800 (PST)
From: irishranger317@gmail.com
On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 8:53:38 AM UTC-5, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> I just finished watching all five seasons of "Breaking Bad" on Netflix Streaming.  I'm not sure why
> I never watched this series live, because I'd generally heard good things about it.  Anyway, I
thought
> it was very good and is definitely worth the time to watch.  In fact, I was even a little
disappointed
> when it ended.
>
> I thought the writing was particularly good with a lot of plot twists I didn't see coming.  Just
when
> you thought you knew where a particular situation was headed, the writers would flip it around,
> in a believable way.  The series conclusion was also better than average.
>
> The acting was also excellent.  There were several very good supporting characters including
> Saul the shylock lawyer, Mike the private investigator and Gus the drug gang leader.
> The only character that got to be a little irritating was Jesse, the dope-head drug cook.
>
> In that regard it reminded me of the HBO series "Ray Donovan".  If Ray would have just killed
> his father (John Voight) half of his problems would be solved.  The same with Jesse.  If Walt
> (Bryan Cranston) would have gotten rid of Jesse, half of his problems would have been solved.
>
> Bottom-line: "Breaking Bad" was one of the best TV series I've watched and I'd recommend it
> for most TV buffs.
>
> Irish Mike

Correction: "Ray Donovan" is on Showtime.

Irish Mike

From: dsm <dsm1@rock.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 08:38:05 -0800 (PST)
From: dsm <dsm1@rock.com>

> I'm not sure why I never watched this series live, because I'd generally heard good things about
it.

Same with me, people told me to watch it and I just never did.

The only reason I watched Breaking Bad was because of the show "Better Call Saul". After watching
the first season of Better Call Saul, I read that it was a spin-off of Breaking Bad. I just wanted
to see more of "Slippin' Jimmy", so I found the first episode his character was introduced in (late
season two), but after a few episodes I really liked it and went back to the beginning.

From: Mossingen <jhankins5@cox.net>
From: "Mossingen" <jhankins5@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 12:22:05 -0600
wrote in message

[...]

___________________________________

Excellent show.

The one thing that always bothered me was how Walter killed Mike.  I never
thought that was believable.  Mike was the consummate pro, always thinking
ahead, and always prepared.  I don't think that in that world Walter would
have gotten the best of him like that.

From: risky biz <swingtrader@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 11:33:32 -0800 (PST)
From: risky biz <swingtrader@gmail.com>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaWj-7Pw7qI

From: Dutch <no@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
From: Dutch <no@email.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 12:18:05 -0800
On 3/5/2018 5:53 AM, irishranger317@gmail.com wrote:
> I just finished watching all five seasons of "Breaking Bad" on Netflix Streaming.  I'm not sure why
> I never watched this series live, because I'd generally heard good things about it.  Anyway, I
thought
> it was very good and is definitely worth the time to watch.  In fact, I was even a little
disappointed
> when it ended.
>
> I thought the writing was particularly good with a lot of plot twists I didn't see coming.  Just
when
> you thought you knew where a particular situation was headed, the writers would flip it around,
> in a believable way.  The series conclusion was also better than average.
>
> The acting was also excellent.  There were several very good supporting characters including
> Saul the shylock lawyer, Mike the private investigator and Gus the drug gang leader.
> The only character that got to be a little irritating was Jesse, the dope-head drug cook.
>
> In that regard it reminded me of the HBO series "Ray Donovan".  If Ray would have just killed
> his father (John Voight) half of his problems would be solved.  The same with Jesse.  If Walt
> (Bryan Cranston) would have gotten rid of Jesse, half of his problems would have been solved.
>
> Bottom-line: "Breaking Bad" was one of the best TV series I've watched and I'd recommend it
> for most TV buffs.
>
> Irish Mike

I also binge-watched that entire series after it finished shooting. It
was a wild and highly enjoyable ride. I was incommunicado for a couple
of weeks. If you liked the lawyer character played by Bob Odenkirk then
I highly recommend the spinoff series "Better Call Saul". Saul Goodman
is his trade name, his real name is Jimmy McGill, a two-bit hustler who
somehow passed the bar and practices law out of the storage room of a
Vietnamese nail salon. I'm counting the days until the next season starts.

From: Bill Vanek <bilvanek@invalid.com>
From: Bill Vanek <bilvanek@invalid.com>
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 13:18:38 -0800
On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 12:18:05 -0800, Dutch<no@email.com> wrote:

>I highly recommend the spinoff series "Better Call Saul". Saul Goodman
>is his trade name, his real name is Jimmy McGill, a two-bit hustler who
>somehow passed the bar and practices law out of the storage room of a
>Vietnamese nail salon.

In Vancouver?...

From: Clave <ChrisClavius@TheMonastery.com>
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 14:01:27 -0800
On 3/5/2018 1:18 PM, Bill Vanek wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 12:18:05 -0800, Dutch<no@email.com> wrote:
>
>> I highly recommend the spinoff series "Better Call Saul". Saul Goodman
>> is his trade name, his real name is Jimmy McGill, a two-bit hustler who
>> somehow passed the bar and practices law out of the storage room of a
>> Vietnamese nail salon.
>
> In Vancouver?...

Why not just say you've never watched the show, but wanted to make
monkey noises about it anyway?

Next <
From: Travel <travel9599@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 16:17:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Travel <travel9599@gmail.com>
I started watching it just before the last season ran. So when I finished all the back-seasons, the
last season came-out.

I also finally watched it because of all the hype, as the promo-description of a series about a
terminal cancer patient didn't seem all that compelling to me. Maybe the producers had just that
sort of public reaction in mind when they made the first season with only 7 episodes; i.e., they
weren't sure if a premise including cancer involved would "take" with the viewers.

As it was, it took me until the end of season 2 before I was hooked. I almost stopped watching it
after season 1. Why am I watching acid-dissolved bodies in bathtubs burn through floors for!?

Have to keep reminding yourself: with these quality series, they spend time with character
development early-on, before the "point" of it and the story actually kicks-in.

Once hooked though, it's a totally addictive series, where even Walter's medical condition became
another of the many "edgy" sub-plots going on in the story. Always rooting for Walter, you were
peering at this tension-clusterfuck through splayed fingers, hoping that you'll "get through" just
one more episode without Walter keeling-over on you in the middle of it all.

The supporting cast was awesome, with Hank being a major character who could "screw it all up" at
any time.