> Prev
From: Bro. Edwards <bro.edwards@berkeley.edu>
Subject: Police: 'No evidence' of excessive force in Michael Bennett incident
Full headers:
From: "Bro. Edwards" <bro.edwards@berkeley.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 13:52:29 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.politics.obama, seattle.politics, alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,
rec.sport.football.pro, alt.sports.football.pro.sea-seahawks
Police said Friday they found "no evidence" that officers used
excessive force in detaining Seattle Seahawks defensive end
Michael Bennett during an August incident in Las Vegas and that
they had reasonable suspicion to make the stop.

Bennett has accused police officers of racial profiling, saying
they pointed guns at him and used excessive force in the
incident, which occurred outside a nightclub after the Floyd
Mayweather Jr.-Conor McGregor fight on Aug. 26.

The body camera of the officer who initially detained Bennett
was not turned on. Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said Friday
that police sorted through 861 videos, including from body
cameras from other officers and hotel security cameras, and
found that 193 were pertinent to the investigation. From there,
they said they pieced together a timeline of the incident and
played video for the media at a news conference. They said
Bennett's detainment lasted about 10 minutes, seven of which
were spent in a police car.

The video shown by police showed an officer with his weapon
drawn over Bennett on the sidewalk. Police said Bennett was
handcuffed, moved to a police vehicle and spoken to by another
officer, who told Bennett that police were looking for an active
shooter. After an exchange with police that lasted a few
minutes, police took the handcuffs off Bennett and he was told
he could leave. Bennett shook one of the officers' hands and
walked away.

Lombardo said the internal investigation showed that the
officers behaved "appropriately and professionally" and that
"the incident was not about race." He said two other individuals
were also detained in a similar manner, one black and one
Hispanic.

Bennett told reporters earlier this month that the incident was
"a traumatic experience for me and my family" and he was
considering filing a civil rights lawsuit.

Bennett first gave his side of the incident on Twitter on Sept
6. He said that officers pointed guns at him "for doing nothing
more than simply being a black man in the wrong place at the
wrong time" and ordered him to lie down on the ground.

Bennett wrote that one officer, with his gun drawn, warned him
that he would "blow my f---ing head off" if he moved. Another
officer jammed his knee into Bennett's back and handcuffed him,
according to Bennett.

"The Officers' excessive use of force was unbearable," Bennett
wrote. "I felt helpless as I lay there on the ground handcuffed
facing the real-life threat of being killed. All I could think
of was 'I'm going to die for no other reason than I am black and
my skin color is somehow a threat.'"

Bennett wrote that he was placed in a police car before officers
confirmed his identity, realized he was not a suspect and
released him "without any legitimate justification for the
Officers' abusive conduct."

"They apparently realized I was not a thug, common criminal or
ordinary black man but Michael Bennett a famous professional
football player," he wrote.

The video police shown on Friday showed Bennett identifying
himself as a Seahawks player after police allowed him to get out
of the police car and told him he was not under arrest.

Bennett's attorney, John Burris in Oakland, California, said he
wants to review videos more closely. But he said he believed the
clips shown verified Bennett's accounts.

"He was not acting improperly,'' Burris told The Associated
Press. "He was not acting suspicious. He was not involved in any
criminal activity.

"There's nothing to go on, no description, other than you see
this big black man running,'' the attorney added. "He was
running like everyone else, trying to get away.''

Lombardo said the intent of Friday's news conference was not to
"disparage" Bennett, acknowledging there are "two sides to every
story."

"Mr. Bennett has a valid perspective as a person who experienced
a reasonable suspicion stop for a felony crime," he said. "Those
who experience such a stop, especially when they have not
committed a crime, are not likely to feel good about it. But
there is a reason why officers are trained to do what they do
and what they did that night."

The officer who chased Bennett and handcuffed him didn't have
his body camera on at the time, Lombardo said, and might face
departmental discipline.

Otherwise, "I believe they acted appropriately and
professionally,'' the sheriff said of the officers.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20863146/las-vegas-police-
release-video-incident-involving-seattle-seahawks-defensive-end-
michael-bennett

From: #BeamMeUpScotty <Not-Sure@ideocracy.gov>
Full headers:
Subject: Re: Police: No evidence of excessive force in Michael Bennett
incident
Newsgroups: alt.politics.obama,seattle.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.sport.football.pro,alt.sports.football.pro.sea-seahawks
From: #BeamMeUpScotty <Not-Sure@ideocracy.gov>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 10:05:11 -0400
On 09/30/2017 07:52 AM, Bro. Edwards wrote:
> Police said Friday they found "no evidence" that officers used
> excessive force in detaining Seattle Seahawks defensive end
> Michael Bennett during an August incident in Las Vegas and that
> they had reasonable suspicion to make the stop.
>
> Bennett has accused police officers of racial profiling, saying
> they pointed guns at him and used excessive force in the
> incident, which occurred outside a nightclub after the Floyd
> Mayweather Jr.-Conor McGregor fight on Aug. 26.
>
> The body camera of the officer who initially detained Bennett
> was not turned on. Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said Friday
> that police sorted through 861 videos, including from body
> cameras from other officers and hotel security cameras, and
> found that 193 were pertinent to the investigation. From there,
> they said they pieced together a timeline of the incident and
> played video for the media at a news conference. They said
> Bennett's detainment lasted about 10 minutes, seven of which
> were spent in a police car.
>
> The video shown by police showed an officer with his weapon
> drawn over Bennett on the sidewalk. Police said Bennett was
> handcuffed, moved to a police vehicle and spoken to by another
> officer, who told Bennett that police were looking for an active
> shooter. After an exchange with police that lasted a few
> minutes, police took the handcuffs off Bennett and he was told
> he could leave. Bennett shook one of the officers' hands and
> walked away.
>
> Lombardo said the internal investigation showed that the
> officers behaved "appropriately and professionally" and that
> "the incident was not about race." He said two other individuals
> were also detained in a similar manner, one black and one
> Hispanic.
>
> Bennett told reporters earlier this month that the incident was
> "a traumatic experience for me and my family" and he was
> considering filing a civil rights lawsuit.
>
> Bennett first gave his side of the incident on Twitter on Sept
> 6. He said that officers pointed guns at him "for doing nothing
> more than simply being a black man in the wrong place at the
> wrong time" and ordered him to lie down on the ground.
>
> Bennett wrote that one officer, with his gun drawn, warned him
> that he would "blow my f---ing head off" if he moved. Another
> officer jammed his knee into Bennett's back and handcuffed him,
> according to Bennett.
>
> "The Officers' excessive use of force was unbearable," Bennett
> wrote. "I felt helpless as I lay there on the ground handcuffed
> facing the real-life threat of being killed. All I could think
> of was 'I'm going to die for no other reason than I am black and
> my skin color is somehow a threat.'"

Seems like a phobia about being black and that it meant everyone is out
to get him.....

Perhaps the Liberal media and schools tweaked his fears and have him
acting irrational when in fact the police do that very thing to all
races. "I would have said" they violated the constitution because they
have no power to handcuff and detain you without a warrant. Because it
wasn't an active pursuit.  They were just looking for someone and that's
NOT a pursuit.  Chasing someone and setting up a dragnet to find someone
are totally different uses of the Constitution.  And by being such a
whiner and a phobic person he lost the support of all the other races
tat were NOT stopped in this one single episode.  He could have had
different support for his cause had he NOT been so self absorbed and
phobic that his being black was the origin of the entire issue.

--
That's Karma

                     *Rumination*
It's Liberal-Democrats who are determining for everyone, who and why
they should be offended.

From: None of the Above <Eep@erg.oy>
Full headers:
From: None of the Above <Eep@erg.oy>
Newsgroups: alt.politics.obama,seattle.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.sport.football.pro,alt.sports.football.pro.sea-seahawks
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2017 00:59:00 -0700
On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 10:05:11 -0400, #BeamMeUpScotty<Not-Sure@ideocracy.gov> wrote:

> [...]
>
>Seems like a phobia about being black and that it meant everyone is out
>to get him.....
>
>Perhaps the Liberal media and schools tweaked his fears and have him
>acting irrational when in fact the police do that very thing to all
>races. "I would have said" they violated the constitution because they
>have no power to handcuff and detain you without a warrant. Because it
>wasn't an active pursuit.  They were just looking for someone and that's
>NOT a pursuit.  Chasing someone and setting up a dragnet to find someone
>are totally different uses of the Constitution.  And by being such a
>whiner and a phobic person he lost the support of all the other races
>tat were NOT stopped in this one single episode.  He could have had
>different support for his cause had he NOT been so self absorbed and
>phobic that his being black was the origin of the entire issue.

When everybody else in the place followed orders and hit the floor,
Bennett runs like a chicken with its arse on fire.  Too bad he isn't
that fast on the field...

From: Nunya Bidnits <kc@burntup.ends>
Full headers:
From: Nunya Bidnits <kc@burntup.ends>
Newsgroups: alt.politics.obama,seattle.politics,alt.rush-limbaugh,rec.sport.football.pro,alt.sports.football.pro.sea-seahawks
incident
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 09:43:28 -0600
On 10/1/2017 1:59 AM, None of the Above wrote:
> [...]
>> acting irrational when in fact the police do that very thing to all
>> races. "I would have said" they violated the constitution because they
>> have no power to handcuff and detain you without a warrant. Because it
>> wasn't an active pursuit.  They were just looking for someone and that's
>> NOT a pursuit.  Chasing someone and setting up a dragnet to find someone
>> are totally different uses of the Constitution.  And by being such a
>> whiner and a phobic person he lost the support of all the other races
>> tat were NOT stopped in this one single episode.  He could have had
>> different support for his cause had he NOT been so self absorbed and
>> phobic that his being black was the origin of the entire issue.
>
> When everybody else in the place followed orders and hit the floor,
> Bennett runs like a chicken with its arse on fire.  Too bad he isn't

Laugh, laugh, laugh, laugh!!!!

...meanwhile his lil' brudda can't catch a cold in green bay...

Next <
From: a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com>
Full headers:
From: a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.politics.obama,seattle.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.sport.football.pro,alt.sports.football.pro.sea-seahawks
incident
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 10:12:24 -0700
On 9/30/2017 7:05 AM, #BeamMeUpScotty wrote:
> On 09/30/2017 07:52 AM, Bro. Edwards wrote:
>> Police said Friday they found "no evidence" that officers
>
> --- "I would have said" they violated the constitution because they
> have no power to handcuff and detain you without a warrant.

You are just flat out wrong on that statement!

"Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1 (1968), was a decision by the United States
Supreme Court which held that the Fourth Amendment prohibition on
unreasonable searches and seizures is not violated when a police officer
stops a suspect on the street and frisks him or her without probable
cause to arrest, if the police officer has a reasonable suspicion that
the person has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime
and has a reasonable belief that the person "may be armed and presently
dangerous."[1]

For their own protection, after a person has been stopped, police may
perform a quick surface search of the person’s outer clothing for
weapons if they have reasonable suspicion that the person stopped is
armed. This reasonable suspicion must be based on "specific and
articulable facts" and not merely upon an officer's hunch. This
permitted police action has subsequently been referred to in short as a
"stop and frisk," or simply a "Terry frisk".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_v._Ohio

"The mere act of handcuffing a person does not transform a Terry stop
into an illegal arrest. People v. Colyar, 2013 IL 111835, ¶ 46. Rather,
the propriety of handcuffing a person during a Terry stop depends on the
circumstances of the case. Id. “It would be paradoxical to give police
the authority to detain pursuant to an investigatory stop yet deny them
the use of force that may be necessary to effectuate the detention.”
People v. Starks, 190 Ill. App. 3d 503, 509 (1989). Legitimate interests
in using handcuffs during a Terry stop include protecting law
enforcement officers, the public, or the suspect from the undue risk of
harm. People v. Arnold, 394 Ill. App. 3d 63, 72 (2009)."

http://fourthamendment.com/?p=15287