> Prev
From: a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com>
Subject: Jerry Jones says Cowboys players ‘disrespecting t?==?UTF-8?B?aGUgZmxhZ+KAmSB3b27igJl0IHBsYXk
Full headers:
From: a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sea-seahawks,alt.sports.football.pro.sf-49ers,alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots,alt.sports.football.pro.ny-jets,alt.sports.football.nfl
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Jerry_Jones_says_Cowboys_players_=e2=80=98disrespecting_t?=
=?UTF-8?B?aGUgZmxhZ+KAmSB3b27igJl0IHBsYXk=?=
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2017 07:40:20 -0700
Jerry Jones says Cowboys players ‘disrespecting the flag’ won’t play
By Mark Maske and Des Bieler October 8 at 11:36 PM

Cowboys players stand for the anthem before a game against the Packers.
(Michael Ainsworth/Associated Press)

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said after his team’s loss Sunday to the Green
Bay Packers that he expects his players to stand for the anthem without
expressions of protest.

“If we are disrespecting the flag, then we won’t play. Period. Period,”
Jones told reporters (via the Dallas Morning News). “We’re going to
respect the flag.”

“We cannot in the NFL, in any way, give the implication that we tolerate
disrespecting the flag,” he added. “We cannot do that.”

Jones said he did not see two Cowboys players, Damontre Moore and David
Irving, raise their fists as the anthem concluded Sunday. When apprised
of that, he said that while “we as a team are very much on the page
together,” players and coaches will “under no circumstances” fail to
“stand and recognize and honor the flag.”

The owner made reference to Vice President Pence saying he left the
49ers-Colts game earlier Sunday in Indianapolis because of protests by
players during the anthem.

  Play Video 1:51
Pence leaves NFL game after national anthem protests
Embed
Share
0:00

Vice President Pence left the NFL game between the Indianapolis Colts
and the San Francisco 49ers on Oct. 8 as several 49ers players knelt in
protest during the national anthem. (Amber Ferguson/The Washington Post)
[Trump says he directed Pence to walk out of game if 49ers protested
during national anthem]

“I’m saying our vice president of the United States, if in his opinion
there’s disrespect of the flag, then he should … express himself however
he wants to,” Jones said. “He’s got rights, too. So however he wants to
do it — he felt that not standing for the flag is disrespectful. I do, too.”

The NFL Players Association released a statement Sunday that its members
“are union members and part of the labor movement that has woven the
fabric of America for generations,” adding, “Our men and their families
are also conscientious Americans who continue to be forces for good
through our communities and some have decided to use their platform to
peacefully raise awareness to issues that deserve attention.

“It is a source of enormous pride that some of the best conversations
about these issues have taken place in our locker rooms in a respectful,
civil and thoughtful way that should serve as a model for how all of us
can communicate with each other,” the NFLPA continued. “We should not
stifle these discussions and cannot allow our rights to become
subservient to the very opinions our Constitution protects. That is what
makes us the land of the free and home of the brave.”

An NFLPA executive said on Twitter that the union’s statement had
“originally intended for the protest” by Pence in Indianapolis, but that
it could “serve for many situations.”

  Play Video 1:56
Fact Check: Can the NFL fire players for protesting?
Embed
Share
The NFL can fire players, but it won't be easy. (Meg Kelly/The
Washington Post)

Jones mentioned the requirement in the NFL game operations manual that
players must be on the sideline for the anthem. The league has said that
it will not discipline players for violating that rule.

The NFL’s game operations manual says: “The National Anthem must be
played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline
for the National Anthem.

“During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should
stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and
refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag
is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches
that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for
the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the
National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions,
and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above,
including first offenses.”

Earlier this season, before a Monday night game at Arizona, Jones stood
arm in arm with Cowboys players and coaches and took a knee on the field
before the anthem. Jones and the rest of the Cowboys stood and returned
to their sideline and remained standing for the anthem.

Jerry Jones, center, kneels along with his players before the playing of
the national anthem in Week 3. (Matt York/Associated Press)
“Our players wanted to make a statement about unity and we wanted to
make a statement about equality,” Jones said at a news conference after
that game. “They were very much aware that statement, when made or when
attempted to be made in and a part of the recognition of our flag,
cannot only lead to criticism but also controversy.

“It was real easy for everybody in our organization to see that the
message of unity, the message of equality was getting, if you will,
pushed aside or diminished by the controversy. We even had the
circumstances that it was being made into a controversy.”

On Sunday, Jones said, “The whole deal is political and has been incited
by politics. But let me be real, real clear: The thing that the National
Football League needs to do and the Dallas Cowboys are going to do is
stand for the flag. We’re going to do that.

“We’ve kneeled in support of each other before the national anthem, and
we’ve stood for the national anthem. We’ve always done that. And there
is no equivocation here. We’ll stand for the flag.”

After the Cowboys’ pregame demonstration in Arizona, President Trump
tweeted that he spoke with Jones, calling the owner “a winner who knows
how to get things done.” Trump added,  “Players will stand for Country!”

  Play Video 1:31
NFL players kneel again despite Trump’s call for demonstrations to end
Embed
Share
For the second consecutive Sunday, several NFL players took a knee
during the national anthem or raised their fist. (Amber Ferguson/The
Washington Post)
Jones was not the only NFL owner taking a different approach Sunday to
player protests during the anthem. Earlier in the day, Dolphins owner
Stephen Ross, who in the past has vocally  supported his players’ right
to protest, said (via the Miami Herald), “I think it’s incumbent upon
players today if that’s how the public is looking at it, is to stand and
salute the flag.”

“Trump has made [standing for the anthem] about patriotism,” Ross said,
on a day when three Miami players stayed in the tunnel rather than stand
on the sideline during the anthem. “It’s so important, if that’s what
the country is looking at, to look at it differently. … It’s a different
dialogue. Whenever you’re dealing with the flag, you’re dealing with
something different.”

New York Daily News columnist Shaun King reported Sunday that players
from seven teams told him “they have been told they have to stand for
the Anthem.” He cited the Washington Redskins as one such team.

Irving and Moore, the Cowboys who raised their fists during the anthem
Sunday, said that they had no intention of disrespecting the flag or
military members. “I’m standing, hand over my heart. I don’t think I’m
doing anything wrong,” Irving said (via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram).

“My dad is a master sergeant, he’s a Marine. I know what he thinks. He’s
okay with it, as most Marines I speak to are,” Irving continued. “My
brothers are in the Marines. They don’t think it’s disrespecting the flag.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/10/08/jerry-jones...

Next <
From: Gary Rosen <garymrosen@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Jerry Jones says Cowboys players ‘disrespecting the flag’ won’t play
Full headers:
From: "Gary Rosen" <garymrosen@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sea-seahawks,alt.sports.football.pro.sf-49ers,alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots,alt.sports.football.pro.ny-jets,alt.sports.football.nfl
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re:_Jerry_Jones_says_Cowboys_pla?=
=?UTF-8?Q?yers_=E2=80=98disrespecting_the_flag=E2=80=99_wo?=
=?UTF-8?Q?n=E2=80=99t_play?=
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 00:52:16 -0700
Earth to NFLPA:  people do not tune into the NFL, or any other
sporting event, to see people disrespecting the flag or for any
other kind of political display.  In fact it is likely they are hoping
for a respite from politics for a few hours.  You are destroying
*billions* of dollars in value, much of it going to the players
you are supposed to represent.  You are going to lose *bigly*,
if you'll pardon the expression.