> Prev
From: thinbluemime2 <thinbluemime2@gmail.com>
Subject: Terry Gross - NPR - Bitcoin
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 14:01:58 -0800 (PST)
From: thinbluemime2@gmail.com
Once An Underground Currency, Bitcoin Emerges As 'A New Way To Track Information'
November 9, 2017 Terry Gross
https://www.npr.org/2017/11/09/563050434/once-an-underground-currenc...
https://ondemand.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/npr/fa/2017/11/20171109_fa_01....

The digital currency's value has gone from zero to $120 billion in nine years. Digital Gold author
Nathaniel Popper says major banks are looking into the possibilities of its decentralized network.

TERRY GROSS, HOST:

This is FRESH AIR. I'm Terry Gross. There's so much I have to learn each day in preparation for
interviews that when I don't absolutely have to know something, I sometimes give myself permission
not to learn about it. And that's been my attitude toward bitcoin until now. Or, to put it another
way, when both Bjork and Microsoft are accepting bitcoin, it's time.

So we're going to talk about what bitcoin is and how it's used in the underground and legit
marketplaces, how it's become a vehicle for investors and how big banks are starting to copy it.

My guest, Nathaniel Popper, is a technology reporter for The New York Times who's been covering
digital currency. A couple of years ago he wrote a book about bitcoin called "Digital Gold."
Nathaniel Popper, welcome to FRESH AIR.

From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Subject: Re: Terry Gross - NPR - Bitcoin
From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 20:06:38 -0500
thinbluemime2@gmail.com wrote:

>Once An Underground Currency, Bitcoin Emerges As 'A New Way To Track Information'
>November 9, 2017 Terry Gross
>https://www.npr.org/2017/11/09/563050434/once-an-underground-currenc...
>https://ondemand.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/npr/fa/2017/11/20171109_fa_01....
>
>The digital currency's value has gone from zero to $120 billion in nine years. Digital Gold author
Nathaniel Popper says major banks are looking into the possibilities of its decentralized network.
>TERRY GROSS, HOST:
>This is FRESH AIR. I'm Terry Gross. There's so much I have to learn each day in preparation for
interviews that when I don't absolutely have to know something, I sometimes give myself permission
not to learn about it
>So we're going to talk about what bitcoin is and how it's used in the underground and legit
marketplaces, how it's become a vehicle for investors and how big banks are starting to copy it.
>My guest, Nathaniel Popper, is a technology reporter for The New York Times who's been covering
digital currency. A couple of years ago he wrote a book about bitcoin called "Digital Gold."
Nathaniel Popper, welcome t

And you posted this off-topic article here because?

have to audit liberals  & wire tap reporters' phones.

From: thinbluemime2 <thinbluemime2@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 18:51:23 -0800 (PST)
From: thinbluemime2@gmail.com
On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 8:06:41 PM UTC-5, Ubiquitous wrote:
> thinbluemime2@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >Once An Underground Currency, Bitcoin Emerges As 'A New Way To Track Information'
> >November 9, 2017 Terry Gross
>
>https://www.npr.org/2017/11/09/563050434/once-an-underground-currenc...
> >https://ondemand.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/npr/fa/2017/11/20171109_fa_01....
> >
> >The digital currency's value has gone from zero to $120 billion in nine years. Digital Gold
author Nathaniel Popper says major banks are looking into the possibilities of its decentralized
network.
> >TERRY GROSS, HOST:
> >This is FRESH AIR. I'm Terry Gross. There's so much I have to learn each day in preparation for
interviews that when I don't absolutely have to know something, I sometimes give myself permission
not to learn about it
> >So we're going to talk about what bitcoin is and how it's used in the underground and legit
marketplaces, how it's become a vehicle for investors and how big banks are starting to copy it.
> >My guest, Nathaniel Popper, is a technology reporter for The New York Times who's been covering
digital currency. A couple of years ago he wrote a book about bitcoin called "Digital Gold."
Nathaniel Popper, welcome t

> And you posted this off-topic article here because?

I pay my cable bill with bitcoins earned over the internet and a server farm.

What's in your wallet?

From: bruce2bowser <bruce2bowser@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 23:44:10 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce2bowser@gmail.com
Ubiquitous<web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >Once An Underground Currency, Bitcoin Emerges As 'A New Way To Track Information'
> >November 9, 2017 Terry Gross
>
>https://www.npr.org/2017/11/09/563050434/once-an-underground-currenc...
> >https://ondemand.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/npr/fa/2017/11/20171109_fa_01....
> >
> >The digital currency's value has gone from zero to $120 billion in nine years. Digital Gold
author Nathaniel Popper says major banks are looking into the possibilities of its decentralized
network.
> >TERRY GROSS, HOST:
> >This is FRESH AIR. I'm Terry Gross. There's so much I have to learn each day in preparation for
interviews that when I don't absolutely have to know something, I sometimes give myself permission
not to learn about it
> >So we're going to talk about what bitcoin is and how it's used in the underground and legit
marketplaces, how it's become a vehicle for investors and how big banks are starting to copy it.
> >My guest, Nathaniel Popper, is a technology reporter for The New York Times who's been covering
digital currency. A couple of years ago he wrote a book about bitcoin called "Digital Gold."
Nathaniel Popper, welcome t

> And you posted this off-topic article here because?

It is on-topic because the NPR website has used TV footage.

From: thinbluemime2 <thinbluemime2@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 13:48:31 -0800 (PST)
From: thinbluemime2@gmail.com
On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 8:06:41 PM UTC-5, Ubiquitous wrote:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/shScw0jmTcA/j0Nv-W3eAAAJ

> thinbluemime2@gmail.com wrote:

> >Once An Underground Currency, Bitcoin Emerges As 'A New Way To Track Information'

> >November 9, 2017 Terry Gross

>https://www.npr.org/2017/11/09/563050434/once-an-underground-currenc...

> >The digital currency's value has gone from zero to $120 billion in nine years. Digital Gold
author Nathaniel Popper says major banks are looking into the possibilities of its decentralized
network.

> >My guest, Nathaniel Popper, is a technology reporter for The New York Times who's been covering
digital currency. A couple of years ago he wrote a book about bitcoin called "Digital Gold."
Nathaniel Popper

> And you posted this off-topic article here because?

Previously on, "Bitcoin"
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/shScw0jmTcA/j0Nv-W3eAAAJ

Okay, Let’s Talk About That ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Bitcoin Episode
Jordan Pearson Dec 1 2017
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/d3xzqw/okay-lets-talk-abo...

On Thursday night, The Big Bang Theory, easily one of the most-watched shows on television,
introduced Bitcoin to millions of average people who might know a lot about their favourite sitcom
but very little about digital currencies.

For the Bitcoin community, where people regularly still post news articles about Bitcoin online to
show it’s being talked about, last night’s 11th season episode of the show was a high point in
terms of spreading public awareness about the technology. On the flipside, Bitcoin’s inclusion on
a show that trades in superficial references to “smart” things most people already sort-of know
about shows that Bitcoin is already on people’s minds, and not necessarily for the reasons that
true believers in the technology would like.

The real juice behind Bitcoin is decentralized ledger technology—called the blockchain—but the
digital currency’s recent price run has more people seeing dollar signs than complex system
design. So, with what is likely the technology’s first mainstage appearance in a piece of
primetime television entertainment, it’s worth talking about how it was presented.

First, nobody who watched Thursday night’s episode of The Big Bang Theory learned anything about
Bitcoin that they didn’t know before, unless they literally knew nothing about it. The main things
that I took away are: Bitcoin is worth a lot of money, like a life-changing amount of money, and new
coins are created with computers doing math problems and they’re somehow stored on hard drives.
And that’s it. In 20-odd minutes, the show basically went through the motions of the most generic
“I lost my old Bitcoin” Reddit story ever, of which there are many examples online.

Is it worth complaining that The Big Bang Theory didn’t accurately represent how decentralized
ledgers work, or that private keys are stored on hard drives, and not bitcoins themselves? No, of
course not. The show regularly sacrifices complex subjects for a reference or two that really just
signals that a character is a nerd.

But the question of presentation takes on another dimension when we’re talking about a volatile
asset that people are pouring their hard-earned money into for no other reason than “the price
goes up” and with little understanding beyond that. Hell, octogenarian Ron Paul recently ran a
commercial on Fox News telling people to put their retirement savings into Bitcoin. My
girlfriend’s dad simply calls cryptocurrencies “stocks.” This is real money and a lot of
people really don’t understand it.

So, in a way, The Big Bang Theory’s Bitcoin episode is a pale horse.. The episode—banal,
surface-level, but most importantly price-obsessed—already reflects how some investors and
speculators view Bitcoin. The US Commodity Futures Trading Commission just approved Bitcoin futures
trading, which is purely a way for people to bet on Bitcoin without ever having to engage with it or
even understand it.

From: thinbluemime2 <thinbluemime2@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2017 19:13:14 -0800 (PST)
From: thinbluemime2@gmail.com
On Friday, December 1, 2017 at 4:48:37 PM UTC-5, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 8:06:41 PM UTC-5, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/shScw0jmTcA/j0Nv-W3eAAAJ
>

> > thinbluemime2@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > >Once An Underground Currency, Bitcoin Emerges As 'A New Way To Track Information'
>
> > >November 9, 2017 Terry Gross
>

>https://www.npr.org/2017/11/09/563050434/once-an-underground-currenc...
>

> > >The digital currency's value has gone from zero to $120 billion in nine years. Digital Gold
author Nathaniel Popper says major banks are looking into the possibilities of its decentralized
network.

> > >My guest, Nathaniel Popper, is a technology reporter for The New York Times who's been covering
digital currency. A couple of years ago he wrote a book about bitcoin called "Digital Gold."
Nathaniel Popper

> > And you posted this off-topic article here because?

Thank-you Sheldon Cooper !

> Previously on, "Bitcoin"
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/shScw0jmTcA/j0Nv-W3eAAAJ

Bitcoin hits all-time high above $11,700 as recovery accelerates
Bitcoin jumps 8 percent to an all-time high of $11,773.83, according to CoinDesk.
The gain marks a surge of 30.5 percent, or nearly $2,753, from a Thursday low of $9,021.85.
Bitcoin had topped $11,000 Wednesday, only to drop more than $1,000 in a few hours amid high trading
volume that exchanges initially struggled to keep up with.
Evelyn Cheng Published 5 Hours Ago
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/03/bitcoin-hits-all-time-high-above-117...

> [...]
asset that people are pouring their hard-earned money into for no other reason than “the price
goes up” and with little understanding beyond that. Hell, octogenarian Ron Paul recently ran a
commercial on Fox News telling people to put their retirement savings into Bitcoin. My
girlfriend’s dad simply calls cryptocurrencies “stocks.” This is real money and a lot of
people really don’t understand it.

> So, in a way, The Big Bang Theory’s Bitcoin episode is a pale horse. The episode—banal,
surface-level, but most importantly price-obsessed—already reflects how some investors and
speculators view Bitcoin. The US Commodity Futures Trading Commission just approved Bitcoin futures
trading, which is purely a way for people to bet on Bitcoin without ever having to engage with it or

This public service announcement has been brought to you by, "Buy Low, Sell High"

From: RichA <rander3127@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 19:06:06 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3127@gmail.com>
Seething hated of left-wing politicians and greedy bankers for a currency they can't control and
whose exchange generates no FEES or TAXES.  F--- them.

From: thinbluemime2 <thinbluemime2@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 19:18:36 -0800 (PST)
From: thinbluemime2@gmail.com
On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 10:06:08 PM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
> Seething hated of left-wing politicians and greedy bankers for a currency they can't control and
whose exchange generates no FEES or TAXES.  F--- them.

Yep. But there is even talk on Wall Street to find a similar method to track/account for stocks,
bonds and other securities, bypassing the stock exchange (and fees). Listen to the NPR podcast if
you haven't already, its short, concise and informative. This is Terry Gross at her informative
finest.

Next <
From: thinbluemime2 <thinbluemime2@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 12:49:54 -0800 (PST)
From: thinbluemime2@gmail.com
On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 5:02:01 PM UTC-5, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Once An Underground Currency, Bitcoin Emerges As 'A New Way To Track Information'
> November 9, 2017 Terry Gross

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/09/563050434/once-an-underground-currenc...
> https://ondemand.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/npr/fa/2017/11/20171109_fa_01....
>

> The digital currency's value has gone from zero to $120 billion in nine years. Digital Gold author
Nathaniel Popper says major banks are looking into the possibilities of its decentralized network.

Craigslist Now Allows You to Specify That You Accept Cryptocurrency as Payment
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/7i9mmn/craigslist_now_allo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCgy0dphOGc