> Prev
From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Subject: John Hillerman, Higgins on "Magnum, P.I.," Dies at 84
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.magnum-pi,alt.obituaries,rec.arts.movies.past-films
From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 18:15:00 -0500
The Texan played the stuffy (but lovable) character on the Tom Selleck
starrer, winning an Emmy in 1987, and appeared in 'Chinatown' and
'Blazing Saddles.'

John Hillerman, the actor who made a career out of playing snooty
types, including Tom Selleck's fastidious estate caretaker Jonathan
Quayle Higgins III on Magnum, P.I., died Thursday. He was 84.

Hillerman, who received four Emmy nominations in consecutive years for
portraying Higgins and won in 1987, died at his home in Houston, family
spokeswoman Lori De Waal told the Associated Press. She said the cause
of death had not been determined.

His Higgins character was a natural extension of a part he played on
the TV detective show Ellery Queen: Simon Brimmer, a radio personality
and affected gent who fancied himself a savvy sleuth. Ironically,
Hillerman, who often played condescending characters with more than a
touch of the Tory Brit

From: Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>
Subject: Re: John Hillerman, Higgins on "Magnum, P.I.," Dies at 84
From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 00:11:40 -0000 (UTC)
Ubiquitous<weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-hillerman-dead-magnum-pi...

>The Texan played the stuffy (but lovable) character on the Tom Selleck
>starrer, winning an Emmy in 1987, and appeared in 'Chinatown' and
>'Blazing Saddles.'

>John Hillerman, the actor who made a career out of playing snooty
>types, including Tom Selleck's fastidious estate caretaker Jonathan
>Quayle Higgins III on Magnum, P.I., died Thursday. He was 84. . . .

Higgins was a terrific character. Even in Magnum's lamer episodes, I
always looked forward to his scenes.

>He also was recognized for his character on the 1977-78 sitcom The
>Betty White Show, in which he played the star's director and former
>spouse; as Sandy Duncan's father on Valerie's Family: The Hogans; and
>as Bonnie Franklin's crusty boss Mr. Connors at a PR firm on One Day at
>a Time. . . .

Wow. I remember The Betty White Show. It was one of the worst written
sitcoms ever; what a horrible show. Betty White was, I guess, supposed
to be Angie Dickinson. Georgia Engel, also from The Mary Tyler Moore
Show, was in the cast.

For some reason, I was thinking he was on The Nancy Walker Show too, but
I'm wrong.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 17:30:05 -0700
In article <ou2qrs$beh$1@dont-email.me>,
 "Adam H. Kerman"<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> >He also was recognized for his character on the 1977-78 sitcom The
> >Betty White Show, in which he played the star's director and former
> >spouse; as Sandy Duncan's father on Valerie's Family: The Hogans; and
> >as Bonnie Franklin's crusty boss Mr. Connors at a PR firm on One Day at
> >a Time. . . .
>
> Wow. I remember The Betty White Show. It was one of the worst written
> sitcoms ever; what a horrible show. Betty White was, I guess, supposed
> to be Angie Dickinson. Georgia Engel, also from The Mary Tyler Moore
> Show, was in the cast.

Speak to us more of this?  I have no recollection of it at all, but
Betty White as Angie Dickinson?  Boggle.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Full headers:
From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 19:53:43 -0500
anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> "Adam H. Kerman"<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>> >He also was recognized for his character on the 1977-78 sitcom The
>> >Betty White Show, in which he played the star's director and former
>> >spouse; as Sandy Duncan's father on Valerie's Family: The Hogans; and
>> >as Bonnie Franklin's crusty boss Mr. Connors at a PR firm on One Day at
>> >a Time. . . .
>>
>> Wow. I remember The Betty White Show. It was one of the worst written
>> sitcoms ever; what a horrible show. Betty White was, I guess, supposed
>> to be Angie Dickinson. Georgia Engel, also from The Mary Tyler Moore
>> Show, was in the cast.
>
>Speak to us more of this?  I have no recollection of it at all, but
>Betty White as Angie Dickinson?  Boggle.

I don't remember it being that bad. Betty played a stuntwoman on a female cop
show, Hillerman, her ex, was the producer, and Georgette was her assistant.

Here's avery poor quality ep on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxzGSwV4OMo

have to audit liberals  & wire tap reporters' phones.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 18:02:55 -0700
In article <ou2tao$lej$1@dont-email.me>,
 Ubiquitous<weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

> >> Wow. I remember The Betty White Show. It was one of the worst written
> >> sitcoms ever; what a horrible show. Betty White was, I guess, supposed
> >> to be Angie Dickinson. Georgia Engel, also from The Mary Tyler Moore
> >> Show, was in the cast.
> >
> >Speak to us more of this?  I have no recollection of it at all, but
> >Betty White as Angie Dickinson?  Boggle.
>
> I don't remember it being that bad. Betty played a stuntwoman on a female cop
> show, Hillerman, her ex, was the producer, and Georgette was her assistant.
>
> Here's avery poor quality ep on YouTube.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxzGSwV4OMo

Thanks!

From: Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>
Full headers:
From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 01:17:56 -0000 (UTC)
Ubiquitous<weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

>>>Wow. I remember The Betty White Show. It was one of the worst written
>>>sitcoms ever; what a horrible show. Betty White was, I guess, supposed
>>>to be Angie Dickinson. Georgia Engel, also from The Mary Tyler Moore
>>>Show, was in the cast.

>>Speak to us more of this?  I have no recollection of it at all, but
>>Betty White as Angie Dickinson?  Boggle.

>I don't remember it being that bad. Betty played a stuntwoman on a female cop
>show, Hillerman, her ex, was the producer, and Georgette was her assistant.

No, she was the star of the show-with-a-show, which was a spoof on
Police Woman. Hillerman, her ex-husband, was the director. Not all that
much hillarity ensued.

>Here's avery poor quality ep on YouTube.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxzGSwV4OMo

Thanks for finding that.

Next <
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 19:40:11 -0700
In article <ou2uo4$spn$1@dont-email.me>,
 "Adam H. Kerman"<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> Ubiquitous<weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> >anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

> >>Speak to us more of this?  I have no recollection of it at all, but
> >>Betty White as Angie Dickinson?  Boggle.
>
> >I don't remember it being that bad. Betty played a stuntwoman on a female
> >cop
> >show, Hillerman, her ex, was the producer, and Georgette was her assistant.
>
> No, she was the star of the show-with-a-show, which was a spoof on
> Police Woman. Hillerman, her ex-husband, was the director. Not all that
> much hillarity ensued.
>
> >Here's avery poor quality ep on YouTube.
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxzGSwV4OMo
>
> Thanks for finding that.

And thank YOU for the ice cream!