> Prev
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2017-11-09 (Thursday)
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 08:35:16 -0500
I watched:

THE ORVILLE:  This episode reminded me a bit of the original STAR TREK
episode where flowers kept shooting love spores onto the crew.  The blue
guy (Rob Lowe) is a sexual predator of sorts...and also turns out to be
a liar.  In the end, I have no confidence that the two other species
actually share DNA (even though that is exactly how I expected the
resolution to play out) or that the blue guy was in heat the first time
Kelly fell for him.

BETTER THINGS:  Sam and her three kids go to visit Sam's uncle without
telling her mom.  The uncle (Nigel Havers of CORONATION STREET) and his
wife (Jane Carr of DEAR JOHN) are extremely compliant people who
tolerate anything, including three weird kids invading their home.  Over
dinner, the uncle lets it slip that he has another sister than Sam has
never heard about...a sister sent off to an insane asylum at age 16 so
the family never talked about her or tried to contact her.  As usual,
each family member is off in their own world.  Sam looks for her lost
Aunt. Oldest daughter Max is still mad at her mom for not letting her
boyfriend sleep over...which caused the boyfriend to sleep over at her
best friend's house...which caused her best friend to be
pregnant...which caused Max to blame Sam for the pregnancy.  Middle
child, Frankie, is bonding with Grandpa over the arts of carpentry and
fishing.  Youngest daughter, Duke, is seeing ghosts...literally.
Mostly, though, the shock and awe of this episode was in how the family
discards members in rather casual ways...and dumping a kid in an insane
asylum is loosely connected to going on vacation without telling Phil
and with how Sam's brother is absent and with how Phil was apparently
cast out of the family for marrying a Jewish guy...and for how the other
brother was never talked about after he died.  This family has so many
issues.

ALIAS GRACE:  Episode #2 of this Netflix period piece based upon a
Margaret Atwood (THE HANDMAID'S TALE) novel.  Set in mid 1800s Canada,
the story follows the plight of a servant woman accused of murder.  In
this second episode, we see the rough life of women, constantly sexually
harassed, assaulted, and misused by men.  Sadly, the cute woman (or is
it girl...these 30 year old actresses are playing characters that are
supposed to be early teens) that looks a lot like a young Jami Gertz
suffers severely from a medical complication.

BONUS FAMILY:  Episode #4 of this Netflix dramedy about a blended
family.  In previous episodes the two parents were fighting for more
time/custody of their kids and now they are fighting for less time.
makes sense given that the kids (the boy at least) are horrible.  The
way the coworker is trying to weasel his way into the woman's life by
bonding with her son is a bit creepy even though he seems like a much
nicer guy that her other coworker, the one she is having the affair
with.  Meanwhile, the horrid son gets a pet snake.

STANDING STILL:  A 2005 ensemble comedy film starring Amy Adams, Lauren
German, Mena Suvari, Colin Hanks, Adam garcia, Aaron Stanford, Xander
Berkeley, Jon Abrahams, James Van Der Beek, Marnette Patterson, and
Melissa SageMiller.  The plot involves a bunch of old friends having a
reunion of sorts as they gather for a wedding.  Stuff happens, but
mostly this film was interesting just for the look of so many familiar
faces a decade plus younger than now.

LAST WORD WITH LAWRENCE O'DONNELL:  I saw a few minutes of this
show...horrible load of garbage...bait almost as stinky and mis-guided
as the stuff coming from Mitch McConnell.

What did you watch?

From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2017-11-09 (Thursday)
Full headers:
From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 06:49:57 -0800
On 2017-11-10 13:35:16 +0000, Obveeus said:

> What did you watch?

The Shannara Chronicles (recorded) - "Paranor". An episode that was
almost entirely "filler", as it didn't even resolve its own storylines,
instead kicking the resolution of the various stories to the next
episode.  :/
   Anyway, Wil and Allanon reach Paranor, and enter to meet Bannon
after Allanon sends Mareth off. But, it turns out, it's all a plan by
Allanon to get Mareth to trap himself and Bannon inside Paranor. But
before that happens, Bannon fatally poisons Wil's uncle Flick. So
Bannon coerces Wil and Mareth to get the Warlock Lord's skull in order
to free Bannon in order to save Flick. Instead, though, Wil and Mareth
get transported to the past, where they meet a young, pre-quest version
of Wil's father Shea. Meanwhile, Cogline tells Eretria of her "secret
destiny". And Ander, Lyria, and Garet Jax prepare to interrogate a high
Lieutenant in the Crimson.
   Basically, none of these storylines were resolved in this episode,
so we need to wait until the next episode to see if anything comes of
any of this...  :|

Stranger Things (The Netflix) - "Chapter Two: The Weirdo on Maple
Street". This episode is mostly devoted to fleshing out the strange
girl the boys discovered at the end of the previous episode. They hide
her out in the lead boy's house, and call her Eleven, "El" (shouldn't
it be "Elle"?!) for short. Oh, and she has "mutant powers", as she can
move stuff with her mind... Meanwhile, the sheriff discovers the body
of the diner owner, which has been staged to look like a suicide.
Winona Ryder continues to get weird phone calls from her son from
"beyond", and inexplicable things keep happening during these calls.
And Ryder's son goes to visit his deadbeat dad, but doesn't find the
missing boy there. Meanwhile, the whole subplot with the teen sister
and her teen friends is total distraction-bait that I wish they would
just leave it all out of this - but that does end with the "monster"
getting another "victim": the teen sister's nerdy friend.

Gotham - "Stop Hitting Yourself". An episode that's actually very light
on Gordon, as we focus on the "fight club" where Grundy, Riddler and
Dr. Leslie are hanging out. Penguin orders the female trio of Barbara,
Tabby, and CatGrrl to go to the club to pinch Riddler. But there, Tabby
discovers that "Butch" is still "alive", and Barbara discovers that
Leslie has been hangin' out there, so they get sidetracked. Eventually,
Penguin sends Firefly(?) too, when the three ladies "fail" in their
mission's time-limit, but Leslie and the three babes stand up to
Firefly, and save Riddler. Now the three dames are off Penguin's
payroll, and Leslie is running the fight club.
   Meanwhile, Gordon displaces Bullock as Captain, after Gordon loses
faith in Bullock. And Penguin takes on a very young "apprentice" (was
this kid some kind of "Easter egg" for the comics fans?...), and likely
figures out that Crystal Reed's Sofia has been snowing him this whole
time.
   Next episode: It looks like we're back to Pyg, as Pyg apparently
takes on Penguin head-on...

Arrow - "Deathstroke Returns". An episodes devoted to the backstories
of Slade Wilson and Dinah Drake, probably the show's two *least
interesting* characters. So, yeah, this episode was a total snooze,
especially when they bungled the revelation of who "Vigilante" is
(we've been waiting over a season, for *this*?!...), and then went
improbably awful with the "twist" in the story of Slade's missing son.
   Yeah, this was an episode so bad, even I could hate it like Fred and
Jim usually hate this show - and the worst part is, it's not over: the
next episode is going to follow-up on all of this nonsense...  >:/
   P.S. Why the *Hell* is Willa Holland still main-cast credited on
this show when she never friggin' *appears*...  :/

Recorded for later: The Orville, Van Helsing, and S.W.A.T. (just
because I'm morbidly curious to see if this show gets better, or worse,
after the pilot!!...).

From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:00:21 -0500
In article <ou4eak$uq5$1@dont-email.me>, IJBall@mac.invalid wrote:

>Stranger Things (The Netflix) - "Chapter Two: The Weirdo on Maple
>Street". This episode is mostly devoted to fleshing out the strange
>girl the boys discovered at the end of the previous episode. They hide
>her out in the lead boy's house, and call her Eleven, "El" (shouldn't
>it be "Elle"?!) for short. Oh, and she has "mutant powers", as she can
>move stuff with her mind... Meanwhile, the sheriff discovers the body
>of the diner owner, which has been staged to look like a suicide.
>Winona Ryder continues to get weird phone calls from her son from
>"beyond", and inexplicable things keep happening during these calls.
>And Ryder's son goes to visit his deadbeat dad, but doesn't find the
>missing boy there. Meanwhile, the whole subplot with the teen sister
>and her teen friends is total distraction-bait that I wish they would
>just leave it all out of this - but that does end with the "monster"
>getting another "victim": the teen sister's nerdy friend.

Poor Barb!
Shit! I thought she was on longer!

have to audit liberals  & wire tap reporters' phones.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 08:15:08 -0700
 Ian J. Ball<IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

> Gotham - "Stop Hitting Yourself". An episode that's actually very light
> on Gordon,

and Bullock, and even lighter on Batboy and Alfred

 as we focus on the "fight club" where Grundy, Riddler and
> Dr. Leslie are hanging out. Penguin orders the female trio of Barbara,
> Tabby, and CatGrrl to go to the club to pinch Riddler. But there, Tabby
> discovers that "Butch" is still "alive", and Barbara discovers that
> Leslie has been hangin' out there, so they get sidetracked. Eventually,
> Penguin sends Firefly(?)

Yes.  Not sure if she's dead

 too, when the three ladies "fail" in their
> mission's time-limit, but Leslie and the three babes stand up to
> Firefly, and save Riddler. Now the three dames are off Penguin's
> payroll, and Leslie is running the fight club.

Pengy should be able to take the whole place out pretty easily.

>    Meanwhile, Gordon displaces Bullock as Captain, after Gordon loses
> faith in Bullock. And Penguin takes on a very young "apprentice" (was
> this kid some kind of "Easter egg" for the comics fans?...),

I hope so but I don't know ... they only called him 'Martin' which isn't
much to go on.  One site says Martin will eventually become the "Emperor
Penguin" and I have *no* clew what that means.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/ignatius-ogilvy/4005-85986/

 and likely
> figures out that Crystal Reed's Sofia has been snowing him this whole
> time.
>    Next episode: It looks like we're back to Pyg, as Pyg apparently
> takes on Penguin head-on...
>
> Arrow - "Deathstroke Returns". An episodes devoted to the backstories
> of Slade Wilson and Dinah Drake, probably the show's two *least

Who is Dinah, the Earth 2 canary?

> interesting* characters. So, yeah, this episode was a total snooze,
> especially when they bungled the revelation of who "Vigilante" is
> (we've been waiting over a season, for *this*?!...), and then went
> improbably awful with the "twist" in the story of Slade's missing son.
>    Yeah, this was an episode so bad, even I could hate it like Fred and

waves

> Jim usually hate this show - and the worst part is, it's not over: the
> next episode is going to follow-up on all of this nonsense...  >:/
>    P.S. Why the *Hell* is Willa Holland still main-cast credited on
> this show when she never friggin' *appears*...  :/

What the Hell is wrong with you that you're complaining about Willa
*not* appearing?

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 07:55:04 -0800
On 2017-11-10 15:15:08 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> In article <ou4eak$uq5$1@dont-email.me>,
>  Ian J. Ball<IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Arrow - "Deathstroke Returns". An episodes devoted to the backstories
>> of Slade Wilson and Dinah Drake, probably the show's two *least
>
> Who is Dinah, the Earth 2 canary?

No - she's the new "metahuman" Black Canary "replacement" that was
introduced last season.

>> interesting* characters. So, yeah, this episode was a total snooze,
>> especially when they bungled the revelation of who "Vigilante" is
>> (we've been waiting over a season, for *this*?!...), and then went
>> improbably awful with the "twist" in the story of Slade's missing son.
>> Yeah, this was an episode so bad, even I could hate it like Fred and
>
> waves
>
>> Jim usually hate this show - and the worst part is, it's not over: the
>> next episode is going to follow-up on all of this nonsense...  >:/
>> P.S. Why the *Hell* is Willa Holland still main-cast credited on
>> this show when she never friggin' *appears*...  :/
>
> What the Hell is wrong with you that you're complaining about Willa
> *not* appearing?

Heh.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:37:03 -0700
In article <ou4i4o$sr8$1@dont-email.me>,
 Ian J. Ball<IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2017-11-10 15:15:08 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
> > In article <ou4eak$uq5$1@dont-email.me>,
> >  Ian J. Ball<IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> Arrow - "Deathstroke Returns". An episodes devoted to the backstories
> >> of Slade Wilson and Dinah Drake, probably the show's two *least
> >
> > Who is Dinah, the Earth 2 canary?
>
> No - she's the new "metahuman" Black Canary "replacement" that was
> introduced last season.

And just has the name Dinah?  Geez, how clever.

From: suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com>
Full headers:
From: suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 08:17:20 -0800
Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2017-11-10 13:35:16 +0000, Obveeus said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Stranger Things (The Netflix) - "Chapter Two: The Weirdo on Maple
> Street". This episode is mostly devoted to fleshing out the strange
> girl the boys discovered at the end of the previous episode. They hide
> her out in the lead boy's house, and call her Eleven, "El" (shouldn't
> it be "Elle"?!) for short. Oh, and she has "mutant powers", as she can
> move stuff with her mind... Meanwhile, the sheriff discovers the body
> of the diner owner, which has been staged to look like a suicide.
> Winona Ryder continues to get weird phone calls from her son from
> "beyond", and inexplicable things keep happening during these calls.
> And Ryder's son goes to visit his deadbeat dad, but doesn't find the
> missing boy there. Meanwhile, the whole subplot with the teen sister
> and her teen friends is total distraction-bait that I wish they would
> just leave it all out of this - but that does end with the "monster"
> getting another "victim": the teen sister's nerdy friend.

The teen story does intersect with main storyline in an interesting way.

Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: BTR1701 <address_is@invalid.invalid>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 14:09:55 -0600
Ian J. Ball<IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

> Gotham - "Stop Hitting Yourself". An episode that's actually very light
> on Gordon, as we focus on the "fight club" where Grundy, Riddler and
> Dr. Leslie are hanging out. Penguin orders the female trio of Barbara,
> Tabby, and CatGrrl to go to the club to pinch Riddler. But there, Tabby
> discovers that "Butch" is still "alive", and Barbara discovers that
> Leslie has been hangin' out there, so they get sidetracked. Eventually,
> Penguin sends Firefly(?) too, when the three ladies "fail" in their
> mission's time-limit, but Leslie and the three babes stand up to
> Firefly, and save Riddler. Now the three dames are off Penguin's
> payroll, and Leslie is running the fight club.

> Meanwhile, Gordon displaces Bullock as Captain, after Gordon loses
> faith in Bullock.

'Cause that's how cop shops work: if you lose faith in the boss, you can
just take over and replace him.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 13:32:36 -0700
In article<384349638.532036923.561325.address_is-invalid.invalid@news.giganews.com
 BTR1701<address_is@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Ian J. Ball<IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > Gotham - "Stop Hitting Yourself". An episode that's actually very light
> > on Gordon, as we focus on the "fight club" where Grundy, Riddler and
> > Dr. Leslie are hanging out. Penguin orders the female trio of Barbara,
> > Tabby, and CatGrrl to go to the club to pinch Riddler. But there, Tabby
> > discovers that "Butch" is still "alive", and Barbara discovers that
> > Leslie has been hangin' out there, so they get sidetracked. Eventually,
> > Penguin sends Firefly(?) too, when the three ladies "fail" in their
> > mission's time-limit, but Leslie and the three babes stand up to
> > Firefly, and save Riddler. Now the three dames are off Penguin's
> > payroll, and Leslie is running the fight club.
>
> > Meanwhile, Gordon displaces Bullock as Captain, after Gordon loses
> > faith in Bullock.
>
> 'Cause that's how cop shops work: if you lose faith in the boss, you can
> just take over and replace him.

Well, they sort of almost reasonably set it up.

Commissioner McMillan calls in Gordon.  Hands him a piece of paper
making him a Captain (it requires Gordon's signature at the bottom to
take effect, which seems sort of wonky).  Apparently the promotion
requires taking over the precinct, as if these things are inseparable.
Gordon says he won't do that to Bullock.  Mac says Bullock is gone
either way, and the other candidates for Captain are all in P.N. Guin's
pocket.  The Commish tells Gordon he can think about it.  Gordon finds
Bullock drunk and skirting his duties, so he signs the paper.  My
complaint is that he didn't sit Harvey down and tell him what was going
on first.

Now, if you want to complain about something, how about the bullets?

Last week a bunch of cops got shot.

They have a ceremony where each injured cop gets presented the bullet
that was dug out of them, now gold plated.

Bullock has the bullets in a lovely presentation box, all unmarked as to
which is which.

And they haven't caught the guy that shot (most of) the cops yet so ...
these are evidence in an active cop killing investigation!!!

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 15:39:39 -0500
On 11/10/2017 3:32 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article
><384349638.532036923.561325.address_is-invalid.invalid@news.giganews.com
>> ,
>   BTR1701<address_is@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball<IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Gotham - "Stop Hitting Yourself". An episode that's actually very light
>>> on Gordon, as we focus on the "fight club" where Grundy, Riddler and
>>> Dr. Leslie are hanging out. Penguin orders the female trio of Barbara,
>>> Tabby, and CatGrrl to go to the club to pinch Riddler. But there, Tabby
>>> discovers that "Butch" is still "alive", and Barbara discovers that
>>> Leslie has been hangin' out there, so they get sidetracked. Eventually,
>>> Penguin sends Firefly(?) too, when the three ladies "fail" in their
>>> mission's time-limit, but Leslie and the three babes stand up to
>>> Firefly, and save Riddler. Now the three dames are off Penguin's
>>> payroll, and Leslie is running the fight club.
>>
>>> Meanwhile, Gordon displaces Bullock as Captain, after Gordon loses
>>> faith in Bullock.
>>
>> 'Cause that's how cop shops work: if you lose faith in the boss, you can
>> just take over and replace him.
>
> Well, they sort of almost reasonably set it up.
>
> Commissioner McMillan calls in Gordon.  Hands him a piece of paper
> making him a Captain (it requires Gordon's signature at the bottom to
> take effect, which seems sort of wonky).  Apparently the promotion
> requires taking over the precinct, as if these things are inseparable.
> Gordon says he won't do that to Bullock.  Mac says Bullock is gone
> either way, and the other candidates for Captain are all in P.N. Guin's
> pocket.  The Commish tells Gordon he can think about it.  Gordon finds
> Bullock drunk and skirting his duties, so he signs the paper.  My
> complaint is that he didn't sit Harvey down and tell him what was going
> on first.
>
> Now, if you want to complain about something, how about the bullets?
>
> Last week a bunch of cops got shot.
>
> They have a ceremony where each injured cop gets presented the bullet
> that was dug out of them, now gold plated.
>
> Bullock has the bullets in a lovely presentation box, all unmarked as to
> which is which.
>
> And they haven't caught the guy that shot (most of) the cops yet so ...
> these are evidence in an active cop killing investigation!!!

The gold plating helps preserve the evidence.

From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 17:34:19 -0500
In article <ou52qc$uqh$2@dont-email.me>, Obveeus@aol.com wrote:
>On 11/10/2017 3:32 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> BTR1701<address_is@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> 'Cause that's how cop shops work: if you lose faith in the boss, you can
>>> just take over and replace him.
>>
>> Well, they sort of almost reasonably set it up.
>>
>> Commissioner McMillan calls in Gordon.  Hands him a piece of paper
>> making him a Captain (it requires Gordon's signature at the bottom to
>> take effect, which seems sort of wonky).  Apparently the promotion
>> requires taking over the precinct, as if these things are inseparable.
>> Gordon says he won't do that to Bullock.  Mac says Bullock is gone
>> either way, and the other candidates for Captain are all in P.N. Guin's
>> pocket.  The Commish tells Gordon he can think about it.  Gordon finds
>> Bullock drunk and skirting his duties, so he signs the paper.  My
>> complaint is that he didn't sit Harvey down and tell him what was going
>> on first.
>>
>> Now, if you want to complain about something, how about the bullets?
>>
>> Last week a bunch of cops got shot.
>>
>> They have a ceremony where each injured cop gets presented the bullet
>> that was dug out of them, now gold plated.
>>
>> Bullock has the bullets in a lovely presentation box, all unmarked as to
>> which is which.
>>
>> And they haven't caught the guy that shot (most of) the cops yet so ...
>> these are evidence in an active cop killing investigation!!!
>
>The gold plating helps preserve the evidence.

It's times like this I am glad I quit watching Got ham!

have to audit liberals  & wire tap reporters' phones.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 22:00:02 -0700
In article <ou52qc$uqh$2@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 11/10/2017 3:32 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article
> ><384349638.532036923.561325.address_is-invalid.invalid@news.giganews.com
> >> ,
> >   BTR1701<address_is@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> >> 'Cause that's how cop shops work: if you lose faith in the boss, you can
> >> just take over and replace him.
> >
> > Well, they sort of almost reasonably set it up.
> >
> > Commissioner McMillan calls in Gordon.  Hands him a piece of paper
> > making him a Captain (it requires Gordon's signature at the bottom to
> > take effect, which seems sort of wonky).  Apparently the promotion
> > requires taking over the precinct, as if these things are inseparable.
> > Gordon says he won't do that to Bullock.  Mac says Bullock is gone
> > either way, and the other candidates for Captain are all in P.N. Guin's
> > pocket.  The Commish tells Gordon he can think about it.  Gordon finds
> > Bullock drunk and skirting his duties, so he signs the paper.  My
> > complaint is that he didn't sit Harvey down and tell him what was going
> > on first.
> >
> > Now, if you want to complain about something, how about the bullets?
> >
> > Last week a bunch of cops got shot.
> >
> > They have a ceremony where each injured cop gets presented the bullet
> > that was dug out of them, now gold plated.
> >
> > Bullock has the bullets in a lovely presentation box, all unmarked as to
> > which is which.
> >
> > And they haven't caught the guy that shot (most of) the cops yet so ...
> > these are evidence in an active cop killing investigation!!!
>
> The gold plating helps preserve the evidence.

Yeah.

From: "Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 14:22:16 -0600
BTR1701 sent the following on 11/10/2017 at 02:09 PM:
> Ian J. Ball<IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Gotham - "Stop Hitting Yourself". An episode that's actually very light
>> on Gordon, as we focus on the "fight club" where Grundy, Riddler and
>> Dr. Leslie are hanging out. Penguin orders the female trio of Barbara,
>> Tabby, and CatGrrl to go to the club to pinch Riddler. But there, Tabby
>> discovers that "Butch" is still "alive", and Barbara discovers that
>> Leslie has been hangin' out there, so they get sidetracked. Eventually,
>> Penguin sends Firefly(?) too, when the three ladies "fail" in their
>> mission's time-limit, but Leslie and the three babes stand up to
>> Firefly, and save Riddler. Now the three dames are off Penguin's
>> payroll, and Leslie is running the fight club.
>
>> Meanwhile, Gordon displaces Bullock as Captain, after Gordon loses
>> faith in Bullock.
>
> 'Cause that's how cop shops work: if you lose faith in the boss, you can
> just take over and replace him.

To be fair, the mayor gave him the job and a document to prove it. All
Gordon had to do was to sign the document if/when he was prepared to
take over. Which he didn't do until Harvey screwed up once too often.
Yeah, it's still shaky, but it's not as blatantly stupid as you suggest.

"Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's
occupant makes the rescue imperative." -- Lt. Gordon Malloy, THE ORVILLE

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 15:56:36 -0700
In article <ouaahp$476$1@dont-email.me>,
 "Jim G."<jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> BTR1701 sent the following on 11/10/2017 at 02:09 PM:
> > Ian J. Ball<IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> >>
> >> Gotham - "Stop Hitting Yourself". An episode that's actually very light
> >> on Gordon, as we focus on the "fight club" where Grundy, Riddler and
> >> Dr. Leslie are hanging out. Penguin orders the female trio of Barbara,
> >> Tabby, and CatGrrl to go to the club to pinch Riddler. But there, Tabby
> >> discovers that "Butch" is still "alive", and Barbara discovers that
> >> Leslie has been hangin' out there, so they get sidetracked. Eventually,
> >> Penguin sends Firefly(?) too, when the three ladies "fail" in their
> >> mission's time-limit, but Leslie and the three babes stand up to
> >> Firefly, and save Riddler. Now the three dames are off Penguin's
> >> payroll, and Leslie is running the fight club.
> >
> >> Meanwhile, Gordon displaces Bullock as Captain, after Gordon loses
> >> faith in Bullock.
> >
> > 'Cause that's how cop shops work: if you lose faith in the boss, you can
> > just take over and replace him.
>
> To be fair, the mayor gave him the job and a document to prove it. All
> Gordon had to do was to sign the document if/when he was prepared to
> take over. Which he didn't do until Harvey screwed up once too often.
> Yeah, it's still shaky, but it's not as blatantly stupid as you suggest.

ICE CREAM FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From: tenworld <ten@world.std.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 17:48:13 -0800 (PST)
From: tenworld <ten@world.std.com>
On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 3:10:02 PM UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:
> Ian J. Ball  wrote:
> >
> > Gotham - "Stop Hitting Yourself"...
> > Meanwhile, Gordon displaces Bullock as Captain, after Gordon loses
> > faith in Bullock.
>
> 'Cause that's how cop shops work: if you lose faith in the boss, you can
> just take over and replace him.

unlike most cop shows that are so realistic like when they have DNA 10
minutes after they find blood.

but Bullock was only acting captain, and we do need to move the story
of *commissioner Gordon* along

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 06:06:49 -0700
In article<2748cf1f-d197-43bb-b513-e5f9bc509d48@googlegroups.com>,
 tenworld<ten@world.std.com> wrote:

> On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 3:10:02 PM UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:
> > Ian J. Ball  wrote:
> > >
> > > Gotham - "Stop Hitting Yourself"...
> > > Meanwhile, Gordon displaces Bullock as Captain, after Gordon loses
> > > faith in Bullock.
> >
> > 'Cause that's how cop shops work: if you lose faith in the boss, you can
> > just take over and replace him.
>
> unlike most cop shows that are so realistic like when they have DNA 10
> minutes after they find blood.
>
> but Bullock was only acting captain, and we do need to move the story
> of *commissioner Gordon* along

Jim's got a decade before he needs to be Commissioner.

From: David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 12:53:10 -0700
On 2017-11-13 6:06 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article<2748cf1f-d197-43bb-b513-e5f9bc509d48@googlegroups.com>,
>   tenworld<ten@world.std.com> wrote:

>>> 'Cause that's how cop shops work: if you lose faith in the boss, you can
>>> just take over and replace him.
>>
>> unlike most cop shows that are so realistic like when they have DNA 10
>> minutes after they find blood.
>>
>> but Bullock was only acting captain, and we do need to move the story
>> of *commissioner Gordon* along
>
> Jim's got a decade before he needs to be Commissioner.

Noooot really. Bruce is going to go full Batman by season 7 so Gordon
needs to be at least a Captain by then.

From: Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>
From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 23:02:14 -0000 (UTC)
David Johnston<davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On 2017-11-13 6:06 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> In article<2748cf1f-d197-43bb-b513-e5f9bc509d48@googlegroups.com>,
>>   tenworld<ten@world.std.com> wrote:

>>> unlike most cop shows that are so realistic like when they have DNA 10
>>> minutes after they find blood.
>>>
>>> but Bullock was only acting captain, and we do need to move the story
>>> of *commissioner Gordon* along
>>
>> Jim's got a decade before he needs to be Commissioner.
>>

>Noooot really. Bruce is going to go full Batman by season 7 so Gordon
>needs to be at least a Captain by then.

Season 7? Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From: David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
Full headers:
From: David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 16:44:01 +1100
On Thu Nov 9	I watched:

OUTLANDER: First Wife
OK - the lead characters are always in trouble with someone.

NCIS: Skeleton Crew
Storm and a kidnapping.

NCIS:LA: Can I Get a Witness?
More Hetty in this episode, and another one in trouble.

THE SHANNARA CHRONICLES: Dweller
I think this has been discussed elsewhere.
Princess of Leah

SUPERGIRL: Damage
This has definitely been discussed elsewhere.

--
David Barnett

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:08:55 -0700
In article<MPG.34728a70dabccbb287e@news.eternal-september.org>,
 David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> On Thu Nov 9	I watched:
>
> OUTLANDER: First Wife
> OK - the lead characters are always in trouble with someone.
>
> NCIS: Skeleton Crew
> Storm and a kidnapping.
>
> NCIS:LA: Can I Get a Witness?
> More Hetty in this episode, and another one in trouble.
>
> THE SHANNARA CHRONICLES: Dweller
> I think this has been discussed elsewhere.
> Princess of Leah
>
> SUPERGIRL: Damage
> This has definitely been discussed elsewhere.

You mean all those threads that say "this stinks"?  :)

From: David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
From: David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 09:46:03 +1100
In article<anim8rfsk-21D8EB.10085512112017@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk@cox.net says...

> In article<MPG.34728a70dabccbb287e@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> > On Thu Nov 9	I watched:
> >
> > OUTLANDER: First Wife
> > OK - the lead characters are always in trouble with someone.
> >
> > NCIS: Skeleton Crew
> > Storm and a kidnapping.
> >
> > NCIS:LA: Can I Get a Witness?
> > More Hetty in this episode, and another one in trouble.
> >
> > THE SHANNARA CHRONICLES: Dweller
> > I think this has been discussed elsewhere.
> > Princess of Leah
> >
> > SUPERGIRL: Damage
> > This has definitely been discussed elsewhere.
>
> You mean all those threads that say "this stinks"?  :)

Yes

--
David Barnett

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 15:56:10 -0700
In article<MPG.34737a3b20f144cc881@news.eternal-september.org>,
 David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> In article<anim8rfsk-21D8EB.10085512112017@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk@cox.net says...
> >
> > In article<MPG.34728a70dabccbb287e@news.eternal-september.org>,
> >  David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu Nov 9	I watched:
> > >
> > > OUTLANDER: First Wife
> > > OK - the lead characters are always in trouble with someone.
> > >
> > > NCIS: Skeleton Crew
> > > Storm and a kidnapping.
> > >
> > > NCIS:LA: Can I Get a Witness?
> > > More Hetty in this episode, and another one in trouble.
> > >
> > > THE SHANNARA CHRONICLES: Dweller
> > > I think this has been discussed elsewhere.
> > > Princess of Leah
> > >
> > > SUPERGIRL: Damage
> > > This has definitely been discussed elsewhere.
> >
> > You mean all those threads that say "this stinks"?  :)
>
> Yes

:D

From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 09:56:10 -0500
In article <ou49uj$u8h$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus@aol.com wrote:

>THE ORVILLE:  This episode reminded me a bit of the original STAR TREK
>episode where flowers kept shooting love spores onto the crew.  The blue
>guy (Rob Lowe) is a sexual predator of sorts...and also turns out to be
>a liar.  In the end, I have no confidence that the two other species
>actually share DNA (even though that is exactly how I expected the
>resolution to play out) or that the blue guy was in heat the first time
>Kelly fell for him.

Oh! I wondered why the blue guy seemed familiar!

This ep reminded me of a couple TNG eps involving guest stars affecting
crew members' emotions.

have to audit liberals  & wire tap reporters' phones.

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Full headers:
From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 08:07:25 -0800
On 11/10/2017 5:35 AM, Obveeus wrote:
> I watched:
>
> THE ORVILLE:  This episode reminded me a bit of the original STAR TREK
> episode where flowers kept shooting love spores onto the crew.  The blue
> guy (Rob Lowe) is a sexual predator of sorts...and also turns out to be
> a liar.  In the end, I have no confidence that the two other species
> actually share DNA (even though that is exactly how I expected the
> resolution to play out) or that the blue guy was in heat the first time
> Kelly fell for him.

I was reminded a bit more of the TNG episode "The Naked Now" since that
also had people under the influence sleeping around.  Did they ever
resolved the Doctor's storyline?  The last time I saw her she was
holding the blob at gunpoint.  I don't recall seeing what happened next,
although he obviously made it to engineering.

> What did you watch?

The Blacklist - "The Endling" - The team goes after a Blacklister who
goes after one of a kind items which somehow tied into her also going
after people with a unique blood type she needs to cure her son.

The Mick - "The Haunted House" - Halloween episode.

Gotham - "Stop Hitting Yourself" - Grundy graphically shows why it's a
bad idea to get into a fight with him.  Meanwhile Penguin shows what a
nice guy he is by taking an orphan under his wing and teaching him about
friendship.  ;-)

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 11:17:15 -0500
On 11/10/2017 11:07 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 11/10/2017 5:35 AM, Obveeus wrote:
>> I watched:
>>
>> THE ORVILLE:  This episode reminded me a bit of the original STAR TREK
>> episode where flowers kept shooting love spores onto the crew.  The
>> blue guy (Rob Lowe) is a sexual predator of sorts...and also turns out
>> to be a liar.  In the end, I have no confidence that the two other
>> species actually share DNA (even though that is exactly how I expected
>> the resolution to play out) or that the blue guy was in heat the first
>> time Kelly fell for him.
>>

> I was reminded a bit more of the TNG episode "The Naked Now" since that
> also had people under the influence sleeping around.  Did they ever
> resolved the Doctor's storyline?  The last time I saw her she was
> holding the blob at gunpoint.  I don't recall seeing what happened next,
> although he obviously made it to engineering.

He's a blob, so shooting him might not have any more effect than
stepping in him.  What happened really wasn't resolved aside from
showing the doctor at the end of the episode saying that she was not
looking forward to having to face him again.  The funny thing is that
this episode basically started with more of him aggressively pursuing
her (to the point where she was talking about filing harassment charges
against him) and ended with them having had a mutually enjoyable (though
drug induced) sexual encounter.  It seems likely that they will end up
getting together eventually.

From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 11:33:53 -0500
In article <ou4jeb$7ek$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus@aol.com wrote:
>On 11/10/2017 11:07 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
>> On 11/10/2017 5:35 AM, Obveeus wrote:

>>> THE ORVILLE: This episode reminded me a bit of the original STAR TREK
>>> episode where flowers kept shooting love spores onto the crew.  The
>>> blue guy (Rob Lowe) is a sexual predator of sorts...and also turns out
>>> to be a liar.  In the end, I have no confidence that the two other
>>> species actually share DNA (even though that is exactly how I expected
>>> the resolution to play out) or that the blue guy was in heat the first
>>> time Kelly fell for him.
>>
>> I was reminded a bit more of the TNG episode "The Naked Now" since that
>> also had people under the influence sleeping around.  Did they ever
>> resolved the Doctor's storyline?  The last time I saw her she was
>> holding the blob at gunpoint.  I don't recall seeing what happened next,
>> although he obviously made it to engineering.
>
>He's a blob, so shooting him might not have any more effect than
>stepping in him.  What happened really wasn't resolved aside from
>showing the doctor at the end of the episode saying that she was not
>looking forward to having to face him again.  The funny thing is that
>this episode basically started with more of him aggressively pursuing
>her (to the point where she was talking about filing harassment charges
>against him) and ended with them having had a mutually enjoyable (though
>drug induced) sexual encounter.  It seems likely that they will end up
>getting together eventually.

"Want to go for a swim?"
Yuck.

have to audit liberals  & wire tap reporters' phones.

Next <
From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 11:29:53 -0500
arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:
>On 11/10/2017 5:35 AM, Obveeus wrote:

>> THE ORVILLE:  This episode reminded me a bit of the original STAR TREK
>> episode where flowers kept shooting love spores onto the crew.  The blue
>> guy (Rob Lowe) is a sexual predator of sorts...and also turns out to be
>> a liar.  In the end, I have no confidence that the two other species
>> actually share DNA (even though that is exactly how I expected the
>> resolution to play out) or that the blue guy was in heat the first time
>> Kelly fell for him.
>
>I was reminded a bit more of the TNG episode "The Naked Now" since that
>also had people under the influence sleeping around.

I was thinking more of the ep in which the negotiator was making Troi fall
in love with him.

>Did they ever resolved the Doctor's storyline?  The last time I saw
>her she was holding the blob at gunpoint.  I don't recall seeing what
>happened next, although he obviously made it to engineering.

Not really, but she told what's-her-name that him coming in for his nect
check-up was going to be awkward.

have to audit liberals  & wire tap reporters' phones.