> Prev
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2017-12-06 (Wednesday)
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 09:07:55 -0500
I watched:

SURVIVOR:  The worst Reward Challenge ever...people draw rocks to see
who wins.  Everyone seems to be back stabbing everyone else.  The
Immunity Challenge is decided when one player trades sex (a back rub)
for advancement in the game.  Finally, we see someone use an Immunity
Idol the correct way...though his move was only made possible because
the eventual evictee gave away her own Immunity Idol AND failed to use
her extra vote.  With so much stupidity and lack of game play, she
deserved to go home.  Meanwhile, PTSD guy is playing horribly, but lives
on...and I think his band-aid really is just there to cover up pornography.

MODERN FAMILY:  Phil tries to be a man and survive on his own after
getting fired from work...and real estate agents are not legally allowed
to practice on their own so, despite his claims, he better get that
magic shop back to running.  Lilly babysits because Mitch doesn't even
know what a baby looks like.  Manny tries to date his teacher...I didn't
realize that he wasn't going to a real school.

VIKINGS:  Most of the episode takes place in England where the various
locals build an army and attack York (held by the sons of Ragnar).  The
VIKINGS come out with a victory, but then 2 of the 3 sons try to make
peace and become farmers.  As always, that plan fails to work because
the locals are all very much religious bigots.  Ah well, lesson learned.
  I expect a lot more locals to get killed going forward.

HAPPY!:  Lots of gun play.  Lots of blood splatter.  Lots of vulgar
humor.  An implication that evil/devils are real.  Our main protagonist
happens upon a secret password and a flying blue unicorn.  There is some
setup for an evil Santa Claus who imprisons little children, but so far
our main protagonist has not found time to pursue the case.

Recorded for later:  MR. ROBOT.

What did you watch?

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2017-12-06 (Wednesday)
From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 06:56:50 -0800
On 12/7/2017 6:07 AM, Obveeus wrote:

> I watched:
>
> SURVIVOR:  The worst Reward Challenge ever...people draw rocks to see
> who wins.  Everyone seems to be back stabbing everyone else.  The
> Immunity Challenge is decided when one player trades sex (a back rub)
> for advancement in the game.  Finally, we see someone use an Immunity
> Idol the correct way...though his move was only made possible because
> the eventual evictee gave away her own Immunity Idol AND failed to use
> her extra vote.

Yeah, *what* was up with that?!?!

> MODERN FAMILY:  Phil tries to be a man and survive on his own after
> getting fired from work...and real estate agents are not legally allowed
> to practice on their own so, despite his claims, he better get that
> magic shop back to running.  Lilly babysits because Mitch doesn't even
> know what a baby looks like.  Manny tries to date his teacher...I didn't
> realize that he wasn't going to a real school.
>
> VIKINGS:  Most of the episode takes place in England where the various
> locals build an army and attack York (held by the sons of Ragnar).  The
> VIKINGS come out with a victory, but then 2 of the 3 sons try to make
> peace and become farmers.  As always, that plan fails to work because
> the locals are all very much religious bigots.  Ah well, lesson learned.
>   I expect a lot more locals to get killed going forward.
>
> HAPPY!:
Saved for later.

> Recorded for later:  MR. ROBOT.

I pretty much have the whole season saved for later.  I guess that's
what staycations are for...

> What did you watch?

The Mick - "The Divorce" - Chip learns his dad isn't his biological dad.
  So he tracks down his biodad and ends up on a date with his sister.
Meanwhile, they address the relationship or lack thereof between Mickey
and her live in boy friend.  Do they sleep in separate rooms?

Speechless - "S-T--STAR--WARS W--WARS" - This 30 minute commercial for
the Force Awakens had to be the most shameless, blatant, forced TV tie
in for a movie ever!!!!  The episode starts off with JJ getting two free
tickets for the Star Wars premier, handed to him by his mom who wheres a
Force Awakens t-shirt the whole episode.  JJ then decides who goes with
him via Star Wars trivia contest.  Then the episode revolves around him
watching the movie, we see clips of the movie on the theater screen.
Yeah, there was a b-plot, but still.  Really, speechless?  Really?

Law and Order: SVU - "Intent" - Steve Howey from "Shameless" guest stars
as a famous fighter who is tricked via hacked text message into sexually
assaulting a woman who was also tricked via hacked text message into
going on a date with him.  The police then have to get Howey to plead
guilty to a rape they acknowledge he didn't intend to commit so they can
cross state lines and prosecute the computer hacker, whose motive was
really shaky to say the least.  At least they kept the lights on this week.

Are You the One - "Playing with Fire" - The episode picks up with
everyone returning to the house completely demoralized and chanting
we're going home broke.  This is the last episode, and with only one
perfect match revealed, the odds of them correctly guessing the other 10
perfect matches...well, it's not looking good.  They compete in their
final competition, get their final truth booth, which they also get
wrong, then show up for the final reveal.  Although they didn't talk
about it much, I'm pretty sure they went with the "strategy," although
much of the episode was sidetracked by an emotional breakdown the
strategy guy had when a girl he liked cheated on him and they started to
burn each other's stuff.  Anyway they show up for the final reveal, and
they win?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  How is this even possible?!?!?!?!?!  I thought
it was next to impossible last season when the group won after only
getting a handful of perfect matches.  But to win with only one.
There's definitely some stuff going on behind the scenes that's not
being shown.  Instead of all the in house fighting, I'd like to have
scene more of the "strategy" (which MTV pretty much stopped showing
after the first season) so I can know *how* they track the previous
pairing results and determine who to pair off with who.  I know it's
lots of math and statistic, but I think the MTV audience can handle it.

Full headers:
From: shawn <nanoflower@notformailgmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 10:51:35 -0500
On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 09:07:55 -0500, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:

>I watched:
>
>SURVIVOR:  The worst Reward Challenge ever...people draw rocks to see
>who wins.  Everyone seems to be back stabbing everyone else.  The
>Immunity Challenge is decided when one player trades sex (a back rub)
>for advancement in the game.  Finally, we see someone use an Immunity
>Idol the correct way...though his move was only made possible because
>the eventual evictee gave away her own Immunity Idol AND failed to use
>her extra vote.  With so much stupidity and lack of game play, she
>deserved to go home.  Meanwhile, PTSD guy is playing horribly, but lives
>on...and I think his band-aid really is just there to cover up pornography.

I read Probst's comment that they went with the marble pulling for the
reward challenge because they felt they had too much else to cover. I
get that but hate that they didn't do a real challenge but instead
went with a pure luck of the draw option. Lauren was obviously shocked
at Mike tossing away his half of the HII that Lauren had gotten.
Though that shell was way too easy for her to get.

Ben is clearly going to be the #1 target going forward and is going to
either need to win out the Immunity Challenges or find a social game
that has been sorely lacking to this date.

>What did you watch?

SEAL TEAM where the new guy does an okay job as the seal team does the
slowest run to the border while an unbelievably large number of flash
bangs go off in an effort to blind/confuse the Russian soldiers.
Meanwhile I wonder if they meant to give us a message as Boreanz's
character takes off the ring on a necklace (as in giving up on getting
back with his wife and perhaps getting with the CIA rep.)

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 11:30:57 -0500
On 12/7/2017 10:51 AM, shawn wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 09:07:55 -0500, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:
>

>> I watched:
>>
>> SURVIVOR:  The worst Reward Challenge ever...people draw rocks to see
>> who wins.  Everyone seems to be back stabbing everyone else.  The
>> Immunity Challenge is decided when one player trades sex (a back rub)
>> for advancement in the game.  Finally, we see someone use an Immunity
>> Idol the correct way...though his move was only made possible because
>> the eventual evictee gave away her own Immunity Idol AND failed to use
>> her extra vote.  With so much stupidity and lack of game play, she
>> deserved to go home.  Meanwhile, PTSD guy is playing horribly, but lives
>> on...and I think his band-aid really is just there to cover up pornography.
>
> I read Probst's comment that they went with the marble pulling for the
> reward challenge because they felt they had too much else to cover.

hmmm...the Reward Challenge occurs near the beginning of the episode, so
how did they know how much other stuff they would need to cover as a
result of the subsequent 2 days of filming?

> get that but hate that they didn't do a real challenge but instead
> went with a pure luck of the draw option.

Yes...and especially as part of the loved ones visit.

> Lauren was obviously shocked
> at Mike tossing away his half of the HII that Lauren had gotten.
> Though that shell was way too easy for her to get.

The shell was easy for her to get, but still harder than other HIIs
which are simply hidden somewhere in the first place and don't require
any effort to obtain the second half.  If she hadn't been such a dolt
and announced finding the first half, I don't think anyone would have
noticed the importance of her picking up a shell in the sand.

> Ben is clearly going to be the #1 target going forward and is going to
> either need to win out the Immunity Challenges or find a social game
> that has been sorely lacking to this date.

With this episode, he took the lead as 'perfect loser'.  His
condescending way of talking to others and his extremely tedious and
continuous references to PTSD make him seem like the kind of person
others want to be next to because it increases their odds of winning.

Side note:  How disingenuous was it for his wife to talk about the
hardship of being without him while he has been away on SURVIVOR for a
few weeks?  She must be very used to long stints away from him as part
of his military deployments.

Full headers:
From: shawn <nanoflower@notformailgmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 13:35:24 -0500
On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 11:30:57 -0500, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:

>On 12/7/2017 10:51 AM, shawn wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 09:07:55 -0500, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I watched:
>>>
>>> SURVIVOR:  The worst Reward Challenge ever...people draw rocks to see
>>> who wins.  Everyone seems to be back stabbing everyone else.  The
>>> Immunity Challenge is decided when one player trades sex (a back rub)
>>> for advancement in the game.  Finally, we see someone use an Immunity
>>> Idol the correct way...though his move was only made possible because
>>> the eventual evictee gave away her own Immunity Idol AND failed to use
>>> her extra vote.  With so much stupidity and lack of game play, she
>>> deserved to go home.  Meanwhile, PTSD guy is playing horribly, but lives
>>> on...and I think his band-aid really is just there to cover up pornography.
>>
>> I read Probst's comment that they went with the marble pulling for the
>> reward challenge because they felt they had too much else to cover.
>
>hmmm...the Reward Challenge occurs near the beginning of the episode, so
>how did they know how much other stuff they would need to cover as a
>result of the subsequent 2 days of filming?

Oh no.. You found the fatal flaw in Probst's argument. ;)  That was my
immediate reaction upon reading what he said. I doubt that was what
they were thinking at the time. It's probably Probst just trying to
come up with a good reason for the change.

>> get that but hate that they didn't do a real challenge but instead
>> went with a pure luck of the draw option.
>
>Yes...and especially as part of the loved ones visit.
>
>> Lauren was obviously shocked
>> at Mike tossing away his half of the HII that Lauren had gotten.
>> Though that shell was way too easy for her to get.
>
>The shell was easy for her to get, but still harder than other HIIs
>which are simply hidden somewhere in the first place and don't require
>any effort to obtain the second half.  If she hadn't been such a dolt
>and announced finding the first half, I don't think anyone would have
>noticed the importance of her picking up a shell in the sand.
>
>> Ben is clearly going to be the #1 target going forward and is going to
>> either need to win out the Immunity Challenges or find a social game
>> that has been sorely lacking to this date.
>
>With this episode, he took the lead as 'perfect loser'.  His
>condescending way of talking to others and his extremely tedious and
>continuous references to PTSD make him seem like the kind of person
>others want to be next to because it increases their odds of winning.

That's true but he is a wild card vote and that's a risk so the
players may be unwilling to keep him around.

>Side note:  How disingenuous was it for his wife to talk about the
>hardship of being without him while he has been away on SURVIVOR for a
>few weeks?  She must be very used to long stints away from him as part
>of his military deployments.

Any emotional plea that might convince someone to let them join the
reward is worth the effort. As you say she's probably the one most
used to being separated from their loved ones given the long
deployments that seems to be the standard for the last few decades.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 14:30:38 -0500
On 12/7/2017 1:35 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 11:30:57 -0500, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:

>>> I read Probst's comment that they went with the marble pulling for the
>>> reward challenge because they felt they had too much else to cover.
>>
>> hmmm...the Reward Challenge occurs near the beginning of the episode, so
>> how did they know how much other stuff they would need to cover as a
>> result of the subsequent 2 days of filming?
>
> Oh no.. You found the fatal flaw in Probst's argument. ;)  That was my
> immediate reaction upon reading what he said. I doubt that was what
> they were thinking at the time. It's probably Probst just trying to
> come up with a good reason for the change.

Agreed.  I'd be happier to hear that they designed some obstacle type
course that injured several crew members during run-through so they
scrapped it.  That would be less sad than that the crew of 100 or so
just didn't feel like working so the show had a rock drawing contest.

>>> get that but hate that they didn't do a real challenge but instead
>>> went with a pure luck of the draw option.
>>
>> Yes...and especially as part of the loved ones visit.
>>
>>> Lauren was obviously shocked
>>> at Mike tossing away his half of the HII that Lauren had gotten.
>>> Though that shell was way too easy for her to get.
>>
>> The shell was easy for her to get, but still harder than other HIIs
>> which are simply hidden somewhere in the first place and don't require
>> any effort to obtain the second half.  If she hadn't been such a dolt
>> and announced finding the first half, I don't think anyone would have
>> noticed the importance of her picking up a shell in the sand.
>>
>>> Ben is clearly going to be the #1 target going forward and is going to
>>> either need to win out the Immunity Challenges or find a social game
>>> that has been sorely lacking to this date.
>>
>> With this episode, he took the lead as 'perfect loser'.  His
>> condescending way of talking to others and his extremely tedious and
>> continuous references to PTSD make him seem like the kind of person
>> others want to be next to because it increases their odds of winning.
>
> That's true but he is a wild card vote and that's a risk so the
> players may be unwilling to keep him around.
>
>> Side note:  How disingenuous was it for his wife to talk about the
>> hardship of being without him while he has been away on SURVIVOR for a
>> few weeks?  She must be very used to long stints away from him as part
>> of his military deployments.
>
> Any emotional plea that might convince someone to let them join the
> reward is worth the effort. As you say she's probably the one most
> used to being separated from their loved ones given the long
> deployments that seems to be the standard for the last few decades.

True, though you'd hope that some of the parent/child duos are used to
being separated as well by this point in their lives.  I also thought
that it was interesting that 2 of 3 married couples matched in the first
round of rock pulling.  Other combos went 0 for 4.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 15:09:56 -0500
On 12/7/2017 9:07 AM, Obveeus wrote:

> Recorded for later:  MR. ROBOT.

MR. ROBOT:  Elliot keeps looking into a way to undo the destruction of
world society and finds that he needs access to FBI files to solve the
problem.  So, he sends in his sister to seduce the FBI agent (Grace
Gummer) and...well, that goes south...or does it?  I'm not sure if Darla
and FBI gal are tricking the head of the Homeland Security office or
being duped by him again.  Meanwhile, White Rose is checking off the
LGBTQ box in some way and it still isn't clear what the ultimate goal is
(besides a desire to own the Congo in this Risk'y game).  Meanwhile,
Angela is on her own path, looking to raise the dead or become a bag
lady or something like that.

Full headers:
From: "Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 14:25:28 -0600
Obveeus sent the following on 12/07/2017 at 08:07 AM:
> What did you watch?

RIVERDALE / 2x08 / Chapter Twenty One: House of the Devil

[When Jughead learns that FP is getting released from prison, he and
Betty organize a welcome home party with the Serpents to ease him back
into his former life. Meanwhile, Archie and Veronica reach a crossroad
in their relationship, but are forced to push their issues aside after
Jughead and Betty ask them to take over the Black Hood investigation.]

"Well, I don't know about those other people, but we're actually sinners."

Jughead's dad, FP, is getting released from prison very, very early
because plot. He may or may not be serious in his claims to want to stay
clean and sober and gang-free, but it doesn't matter since Jughead is
too stupid to take him at his word, opting instead to throw him a
"retirement" party. At a bar. With Serpents. So yeah, nothing says "I
love you, Dad" more than exposing Dadd to the very things that he's
trying to stay away from. Jughead is also too stupid to take FP's advice
to stay clear of the gang and make plans to leave town for college. He's
also too stupid to be honest with FP about what their sleazy lawyer,
Penny, is making him do. In short, it's Stupid Jughead Week.

On the Archie front, Jughead's opening monologue tells us that he knows
*way* too much about the private life of Archie and Veronica and where
they do their...private business together. While taking a break from
bumping uglies, Archie and Veronica sub for Jughead and Betty to
investigate the local murder house that gives the episode its name. A
house with ties to the present-day Hood, as well. And it takes them
about 90 seconds to learn that the family of four killed by the Reaper
back in the day was really a family of five, and that one child survived
the massacre. A child who turns out to be the present-day janitor of
Riverdale High. But he's not the Hood, confirming that past clumsy
attempts by the writers to make him appear guilty were just that: clumsy
attempts. In addition to these interesting developments, Archie also
says "I love you" to Veronica after one of their busy sessions. And way
too much time is spent on the soap surrounding the fact that Veronica
couldn't or wouldn't say it back. This eventually leads to a small
confrontation at FP's "retirement" party. In a further waste of time,
they sing a duet soon after...until Veronica runs offstage because emotions.

But not to worry: Betty steps in and finishes the song while stripping
down -- in a biker bar -- to some black lingerie that all high school
kids who are barely old enough to drive are wearing these days, I guess.
She even does a little pole-dancing. She tells him later that she did it
because she wanted to be a part of his world. I am not making this up.
At this point, I can only hope that she and Jughead don't have kids or
it's gonna be Short Bus Central. This is followed up by FP announcing to
the Serpents present that he's not "retiring" after all. He quietly
explains to Jughead that it's because he found out about the Penny
business -- don't ask me how, given that only Penny and Jughead should
know about it -- and that this is his way of protecting Jughead. He also
goes off the wagon, providing Jughead with even more reason to hate
himself for his recent stupidity. Jughead feels guilty about wrecking
things for his dad and so he breaks up with Betty to keep from wrecking
her life, too. Or, I assume, to at least get her to stop slutting it up
at strip clubs for bikers.

But there's still room to cram in a little more soap before it's all
over. And so Archie and Veronica break up over their drama, as well. And
then things end back on the north side of town where a shirtless Archie
shares a look with Betty through their conveniently located bedroom
windows in their conveniently located houses next door to one another.
The End. Sweet Jeebus, this episode sucked hard.

Grade: D-

MR. ROBOT / 3x09 / eps3.8_stage3.torrent

[Elliot trolls a former ally; Mr. Robot leaves cryptic text; Tyrell gets
new commands.]

After spending some quality time with Darlene, it looks as if FBI Agent
Dom may finally realize that her boss is dirty. Elliot and Mr. Robot are
both busy with their separate and opposing agendas. Angela drops strong
hints of a possible timey-wimey reboot of sorts before being picked up
off the street by some folks she'd be better off without. Only time will
tell if this is a real thing or merely a product of her
broken-at-the-moment mind. Whiterose and "her" deputy make some
adjustments of their own and, um, get closer. And the awesome Phillip
reminds us that while he's many things, quitter is not one of them. The
fix is on, but not everyone wants to see things fixed. And someone is
going to end up disappointed.

Grade: B+

"Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's
occupant makes the rescue imperative." -- Lt. Gordon Malloy, THE ORVILLE

Next <
From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 09:52:14 -0500
jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid wrote:

>RIVERDALE / 2x08 / Chapter Twenty One: House of the Devil
>
>[When Jughead learns that FP is getting released from prison, he and
>Betty organize a welcome home party with the Serpents to ease him back
>into his former life. Meanwhile, Archie and Veronica reach a crossroad
>in their relationship, but are forced to push their issues aside after
>Jughead and Betty ask them to take over the Black Hood investigation.]
>
>"Well, I don't know about those other people, but we're actually sinners."
>
>Jughead's dad, FP, is getting released from prison very, very early
>because plot. He may or may not be serious in his claims to want to stay
>clean and sober and gang-free, but it doesn't matter since Jughead is
>too stupid to take him at his word, opting instead to throw him a
>"retirement" party. At a bar. With Serpents. So yeah, nothing says "I
>love you, Dad" more than exposing Dadd to the very things that he's
>trying to stay away from. Jughead is also too stupid to take FP's advice
>to stay clear of the gang and make plans to leave town for college. He's
>also too stupid to be honest with FP about what their sleazy lawyer,
>Penny, is making him do. In short, it's Stupid Jughead Week.
>
>On the Archie front, Jughead's opening monologue tells us that he knows
>*way* too much about the private life of Archie and Veronica and where
>they do their...private business together. While taking a break from
>bumping uglies, Archie and Veronica sub for Jughead and Betty to
>investigate the local murder house that gives the episode its name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8mYLi3PGOc

have to audit liberals  & wire tap reporters' phones.