> Prev
From: Ed Stasiak <estasiak@att.net>
Subject: BAFTAs Go Batty
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 21:07:00 -0800 (PST)
From: Ed Stasiak <estasiak@att.net>
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/12/19/the_bafta_awards_wil...
DEC. 19 2016

Starting in 2019, if Your Film Isn't Diverse, It Won't Be Eligible for a BAFTA Award

In an incredibly bold move, the British Academy of Film and Television Arts announced last week that,
beginning in 2019, works that do not demonstrate inclusivity in their production practices will no
longer
be eligible for the Outstanding British Film or Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director, or
Producer
awards at the annual BAFTAs, often considered the U.K. equivalent of the Oscars.*

Eligible projects must showcase this in two of the following ways, as the BBC reported: On-screen
characters and themes, senior roles and crew, industry training and career progression, and audience
access and appeal to underrepresented audiences. BAFTA will also remove the requirement that newly
admitted voters be recommended by two existing members.

Back in 2014, the British Film Institute established similar standards for projects seeking
National Lottery
funding in an effort to improve representation within the filmmaking industry. BAFTA's decision is
particularly
striking, however, when you hold it up against its American counterpart, the Academy of Motion
Pictures Arts
and Sciences, which, of course, faced an embarrassing PR backlash with the #OscarsSoWhite campaign
this year. Not long after the Oscar nominations revealed, for the second year in a row, a slate of
all-white
acting nominees, the academy announced that it was changing its membership rules in an effort to
address
the issue. This included shortening members' voting statuses to 10 years (able to reactivated so
long as
they remain active within the industry) and adding three more governors' seats filled by people from
underrepresented groups.

But that change was nowhere near as radical as BAFTA's, which directly addresses the bigger and more
pressing concern for representation, from acting to directing to executive opportunities, and
everything in
between. Stating, point blank, that you cannot even think about receiving these accolades from one
of film's
most prestigious institutions unless you make an effort to bring in a wider variety of collaborators
is to light
a much-needed fire under the filmmakers' butts. It won't solve every issue overnight—surely
somewhere
out there there's a filmmaker, or a funder, who really, truly doesn't care about awards—but it's a
step in the
right direction. As we've seen countless times, counting on people in power to do the right thing
while letting
them go unchecked does not lead to progress, and even hinders it.

Many people will undoubtedly find this move to be blasphemous, leaning on the tired crutch of
"artistic freedom"
to label BAFTA as intrusive. They can live and die by that sword if they'd like, but they'll only be
proving that
they're not quite as creative or imaginative as they claim to be.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Subject: Re: BAFTAs Go Batty
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 10:20:42 -0700
In article<ae97fbb1-c555-4439-babc-a369ff8790c9@googlegroups.com>,
 Ed Stasiak<estasiak@att.net> wrote:

> http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/12/19/the_bafta_awards_wil...
> ilms_that_are_not_diverse_starting_in_2019.html
> DEC. 19 2016
>
> Starting in 2019, if Your Film Isn't Diverse, It Won't Be Eligible for a
> BAFTA Award
>
> In an incredibly bold move,

There are a lot of words for this.  "Bold" is not one of them.

So whoever wrote this was a retard.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

From: BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com>
Full headers:
From: BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 09:59:34 -0800
In article<anim8rfsk-911F6F.10204203012018@news.easynews.com>,
 anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> In article<ae97fbb1-c555-4439-babc-a369ff8790c9@googlegroups.com>,
>  Ed Stasiak<estasiak@att.net> wrote:
>
> > http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/12/19/the_bafta_awards_wil...
> > _films_that_are_not_diverse_starting_in_2019.html

> > Starting in 2019, if Your Film Isn't Diverse, It Won't Be Eligible for a
> > BAFTA Award
> >
> > In an incredibly bold move,
>
> There are a lot of words for this. "Bold" is not one of them.

So a movie about the Vikings now has to cast black and latino and Asian
people as Norsemen?**

Or are films about white people just not allowed at all anymore?

**I know Marvel already did that when they turned Asgard into It's A
Small World with swords, but I'm talking about more serious films.

From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 10:13:20 -0800
On 2018-01-03 17:59:34 +0000, BTR1701 said:

> In article<anim8rfsk-911F6F.10204203012018@news.easynews.com>,
>  anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> In article<ae97fbb1-c555-4439-babc-a369ff8790c9@googlegroups.com>,
>> Ed Stasiak<estasiak@att.net> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/12/19/the_bafta_awards_wil...
>>> _films_that_are_not_diverse_starting_in_2019.html
>
>>> Starting in 2019, if Your Film Isn't Diverse, It Won't Be Eligible for a
>>> BAFTA Award
>>>
>>> In an incredibly bold move,
>>
>> There are a lot of words for this. "Bold" is not one of them.
>
> So a movie about the Vikings now has to cast black and latino and Asian
> people as Norsemen?**
>
> Or are films about white people just not allowed at all anymore?
>

> **I know Marvel already did that when they turned Asgard into It's A
> Small World with swords, but I'm talking about more serious films.

Yes - this basically rules any serious historical drama, or literature
adaptaion, out of contention. So any future Jane Austen adaptation, or
even more ridiculously, any film about a, say, 15th century African
tribe or empire (all black cast, so "not diverse", right?...), would be
out of luck.

I don't see how this policy can possibly be implemented.

From: BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com>
Full headers:
From: BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 10:29:47 -0800
In article <p2j6g0$kv8$1@dont-email.me>,
 Ian J. Ball<IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2018-01-03 17:59:34 +0000, BTR1701 said:
>
> > In article<anim8rfsk-911F6F.10204203012018@news.easynews.com>,
> >  anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> >> There are a lot of words for this. "Bold" is not one of them.
> >
> > So a movie about the Vikings now has to cast black and latino and Asian
> > people as Norsemen?**
> >
> > Or are films about white people just not allowed at all anymore?
> >

> > **I know Marvel already did that when they turned Asgard into It's A
> > Small World with swords, but I'm talking about more serious films.
>
> Yes - this basically rules any serious historical drama, or literature
> adaptaion, out of contention. So any future Jane Austen adaptation, or
> even more ridiculously, any film about a, say, 15th century African
> tribe or empire (all black cast, so "not diverse", right?...), would be
> out of luck.

Unless BAFTA goes with the current US definition of 'diverse', which is
'not white'. If they use our definition, then yes, an all-black cast is
still 'diverse'. In fact, it's at maximum 'diversity'.

From: Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 11:11:49 -0800 (PST)
From: "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.com>
On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 10:27:35 AM UTC-8, BTR1701 wrote:

> In article <p2j6g0$kv8$1@dont-email.me>,
>  Ian J. Ball<IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
> > On 2018-01-03 17:59:34 +0000, BTR1701 said:

> > > So a movie about the Vikings now has to cast black and latino and Asian
> > > people as Norsemen?**
> > >
> > > Or are films about white people just not allowed at all anymore?
> > >

> > > **I know Marvel already did that when they turned Asgard into It's A
> > > Small World with swords, but I'm talking about more serious films.
> >
> > Yes - this basically rules any serious historical drama, or literature
> > adaptaion, out of contention. So any future Jane Austen adaptation, or
> > even more ridiculously, any film about a, say, 15th century African
> > tribe or empire (all black cast, so "not diverse", right?...), would be
> > out of luck.
>
> Unless BAFTA goes with the current US definition of 'diverse', which is
> 'not white'. If they use our definition, then yes, an all-black cast is
> still 'diverse'. In fact, it's at maximum 'diversity'.

Then it's explicitly racist, and I don't see how it would withstand challenge.

From: The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
Full headers:
From: The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 15:41:00 -0800
On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 11:11:49 -0800 (PST), "Ian J. Ball"<ijball@mac.com> wrote:

>> Unless BAFTA goes with the current US definition of 'diverse', which is
>> 'not white'. If they use our definition, then yes, an all-black cast is
>> still 'diverse'. In fact, it's at maximum 'diversity'.
>
>Then it's explicitly racist, and I don't see how it would withstand challenge.

well the true SJWs would nominate Spike Lee and Isaac Hayes for
sainthood!

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 11:47:09 -0700
In article <p2j6g0$kv8$1@dont-email.me>,
 Ian J. Ball<IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2018-01-03 17:59:34 +0000, BTR1701 said:
>
> > In article<anim8rfsk-911F6F.10204203012018@news.easynews.com>,
> >  anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> >> There are a lot of words for this. "Bold" is not one of them.
> >
> > So a movie about the Vikings now has to cast black and latino and Asian
> > people as Norsemen?**
> >
> > Or are films about white people just not allowed at all anymore?
> >

> > **I know Marvel already did that when they turned Asgard into It's A
> > Small World with swords, but I'm talking about more serious films.
>
> Yes - this basically rules any serious historical drama, or literature
> adaptaion, out of contention. So any future Jane Austen adaptation, or
> even more ridiculously, any film about a, say, 15th century African
> tribe or empire (all black cast, so "not diverse", right?...), would be
> out of luck.
>
> I don't see how this policy can possibly be implemented.

All black casts *are* diverse, you silly.  "Diverse" means "non-white"

From: Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 14:16:17 -0500
On 2018-01-03 1:13 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2018-01-03 17:59:34 +0000, BTR1701 said:
>
>> In article<anim8rfsk-911F6F.10204203012018@news.easynews.com>,
>>  anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>> There are a lot of words for this. "Bold" is not one of them.
>>
>> So a movie about the Vikings now has to cast black and latino and Asian
>> people as Norsemen?**
>>
>> Or are films about white people just not allowed at all anymore?
>>

>> **I know Marvel already did that when they turned Asgard into It's A
>> Small World with swords, but I'm talking about more serious films.
>
> Yes - this basically rules any serious historical drama, or literature
> adaptaion, out of contention. So any future Jane Austen adaptation, or
> even more ridiculously, any film about a, say, 15th century African
> tribe or empire (all black cast, so "not diverse", right?...), would be
> out of luck.
>
> I don't see how this policy can possibly be implemented.

Some producers are already doing it. I saw that TV adaptation of Beowulf
a couple of years back and they had a South Asian woman as a blacksmith.

A friend of mine who is quite knowledgeable about these things said it
wasn't completely unheard of to have a woman blacksmith in those days -
Beowulf takes place around 500 AD - but there had been no contact
between Britain and South Asian as of yet so there is no way a South
Asian would have been a blacksmith in England in those days.

It seems that if it's a contest between historical accuracy and
political correctness, the latter is going to win every time. I can
hardly wait for a new version of King Arthur and the Knights of the
Round Table in which the King is a transgender and the knights are a
group of diverse women. Or Roberta Hood and Her Band of Merry Women and
Aspiring to Be Women. Or WW II films depicting Winstonia Churchill as
the British Prime Minister.

--
Rhino

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 13:14:18 -0700
In article <p2ja61$i71$1@dont-email.me>,
 Rhino<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

> On 2018-01-03 1:13 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> > On 2018-01-03 17:59:34 +0000, BTR1701 said:

> >> So a movie about the Vikings now has to cast black and latino and Asian
> >> people as Norsemen?**
> >>
> >> Or are films about white people just not allowed at all anymore?
> >>

> >> **I know Marvel already did that when they turned Asgard into

a crapfest

 It's A
> >> Small World with swords, but I'm talking about more serious films.
> >
> > Yes - this basically rules any serious historical drama, or literature
> > adaptaion, out of contention. So any future Jane Austen adaptation, or
> > even more ridiculously, any film about a, say, 15th century African
> > tribe or empire (all black cast, so "not diverse", right?...), would be
> > out of luck.
> >
> > I don't see how this policy can possibly be implemented.
> >

> Some producers are already doing it. I saw that TV adaptation of Beowulf
> a couple of years back and they had a South Asian woman as a blacksmith.
>
> A friend of mine who is quite knowledgeable about these things said it
> wasn't completely unheard of to have a woman blacksmith in those days -
> Beowulf takes place around 500 AD - but there had been no contact
> between Britain and South Asian as of yet so there is no way a South
> Asian would have been a blacksmith in England in those days.

Morgan Freeman was a merry man in 1991's Robin Hood.

> It seems that if it's a contest between historical accuracy and
> political correctness, the latter is going to win every time. I can
> hardly wait for a new version of King Arthur and the Knights of the
> Round Table in which the King is a transgender and the knights are a
> group of diverse women. Or Roberta Hood and Her Band of Merry Women and
> Aspiring to Be Women. Or WW II films depicting Winstonia Churchill as
> the British Prime Minister.

MERLIN (the Katie McGrath (yum) version) was populated with black
characters, that were in all walks of life, including blacksmith,
handmaiden, and Knight of the Round Table.  And there were no color
barriers when it came to dating, and in the incredibly wretched series
destroying (but not for this reason) finale, black Gwen became Queen of
Camelot.

From: Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 16:27:31 -0500
On 2018-01-03 3:14 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <p2ja61$i71$1@dont-email.me>,
>   Rhino<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

> a crapfest
>
>   It's A
>>>
>>> Yes - this basically rules any serious historical drama, or literature
>>> adaptaion, out of contention. So any future Jane Austen adaptation, or
>>> even more ridiculously, any film about a, say, 15th century African
>>> tribe or empire (all black cast, so "not diverse", right?...), would be
>>> out of luck.
>>>
>>> I don't see how this policy can possibly be implemented.
>>>

>> Some producers are already doing it. I saw that TV adaptation of Beowulf
>> a couple of years back and they had a South Asian woman as a blacksmith.
>>
>> A friend of mine who is quite knowledgeable about these things said it
>> wasn't completely unheard of to have a woman blacksmith in those days -
>> Beowulf takes place around 500 AD - but there had been no contact
>> between Britain and South Asian as of yet so there is no way a South
>> Asian would have been a blacksmith in England in those days.
>
> Morgan Freeman was a merry man in 1991's Robin Hood.

By the time of Robin Hood, which is about 1200 AD, Britain knew about
Moors, who were North Africans, some of whom were quite dark. I'm
willing to accept that maybe one of Robin's men was black, although it
still seems a major stretch. It's much more likely that they wanted
Freeman in the cast because he helped sell seats and used the awareness
of Moors that existed to paper over the unlikeliness of it all.

>> It seems that if it's a contest between historical accuracy and
>> political correctness, the latter is going to win every time. I can
>> hardly wait for a new version of King Arthur and the Knights of the
>> Round Table in which the King is a transgender and the knights are a
>> group of diverse women. Or Roberta Hood and Her Band of Merry Women and
>> Aspiring to Be Women. Or WW II films depicting Winstonia Churchill as
>> the British Prime Minister.
>
> MERLIN (the Katie McGrath (yum) version) was populated with black
> characters, that were in all walks of life, including blacksmith,
> handmaiden, and Knight of the Round Table.  And there were no color
> barriers when it came to dating, and in the incredibly wretched series
> destroying (but not for this reason) finale, black Gwen became Queen of
> Camelot.

I think I'm very glad I didn't see Merlin then. It sounds like a
preposterous pile of nonsense.

Don't get me wrong: I have nothing against black characters or actors in
historical films/shows. I just have a problem when they are appear where
they couldn't possibly be. That just grates on me, as it would if we had
a historically accurate portrayal of Elizabethan England showing Klingon
actors. Or Wyatt Earp operating an AK-47 instead of his trusty revolver.

--
Rhino

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 18:06:17 -0700
In article <p2jhs3$cs7$1@dont-email.me>,
 Rhino<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

> On 2018-01-03 3:14 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <p2ja61$i71$1@dont-email.me>,
> >   Rhino<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

> > a crapfest
> >
> >   It's A

> >> Some producers are already doing it. I saw that TV adaptation of Beowulf
> >> a couple of years back and they had a South Asian woman as a blacksmith.
> >>
> >> A friend of mine who is quite knowledgeable about these things said it
> >> wasn't completely unheard of to have a woman blacksmith in those days -
> >> Beowulf takes place around 500 AD - but there had been no contact
> >> between Britain and South Asian as of yet so there is no way a South
> >> Asian would have been a blacksmith in England in those days.
> >
> > Morgan Freeman was a merry man in 1991's Robin Hood.
>
> By the time of Robin Hood, which is about 1200 AD, Britain knew about
> Moors, who were North Africans, some of whom were quite dark. I'm
> willing to accept that maybe one of Robin's men was black, although it
> still seems a major stretch. It's much more likely that they wanted
> Freeman in the cast because he helped sell seats and used the awareness
> of Moors that existed to paper over the unlikeliness of it all.
>

> >> It seems that if it's a contest between historical accuracy and
> >> political correctness, the latter is going to win every time. I can
> >> hardly wait for a new version of King Arthur and the Knights of the
> >> Round Table in which the King is a transgender and the knights are a
> >> group of diverse women. Or Roberta Hood and Her Band of Merry Women and
> >> Aspiring to Be Women. Or WW II films depicting Winstonia Churchill as
> >> the British Prime Minister.
> >
> > MERLIN (the Katie McGrath (yum) version) was populated with black
> > characters, that were in all walks of life, including blacksmith,
> > handmaiden, and Knight of the Round Table.  And there were no color
> > barriers when it came to dating, and in the incredibly wretched series
> > destroying (but not for this reason) finale, black Gwen became Queen of
> > Camelot.
> >
> I think I'm very glad I didn't see Merlin then. It sounds like a
> preposterous pile of nonsense.

It took a little getting used to at first, but it was an appealing cast
and a good retelling of the story, at least until the end.

From: Ed Stasiak <estasiak@att.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 06:41:19 -0800 (PST)
From: Ed Stasiak <estasiak@att.net>

> Rhino
>
> It seems that if it's a contest between historical accuracy and
> political correctness, the latter is going to win every time. I can
> hardly wait for a new version of King Arthur and the Knights of the
> Round Table in which the King is a transgender and the knights are
> a group of diverse women.

You won't have to wait too long...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMTAkdlWkAA-MBV.jpg

From: BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com>
Full headers:
From: BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 09:53:51 -0800
In article<bd6bffba-85c9-4836-9b6a-69b05e8c304d@googlegroups.com>,
 Ed Stasiak<estasiak@att.net> wrote:

> > Rhino
> >
> > It seems that if it's a contest between historical accuracy and
> > political correctness, the latter is going to win every time. I can
> > hardly wait for a new version of King Arthur and the Knights of the
> > Round Table in which the King is a transgender and the knights are
> > a group of diverse women.
>
> You won't have to wait too long...
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMTAkdlWkAA-MBV.jpg

Oh, for fucks sake...

From: FPP <fredp151@gmail.com>
From: FPP <fredp151@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 16:07:01 -0500
On 1/4/18 12:53 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article<bd6bffba-85c9-4836-9b6a-69b05e8c304d@googlegroups.com>,
>   Ed Stasiak<estasiak@att.net> wrote:
>
>>> Rhino
>>>
>>> It seems that if it's a contest between historical accuracy and
>>> political correctness, the latter is going to win every time. I can
>>> hardly wait for a new version of King Arthur and the Knights of the
>>> Round Table in which the King is a transgender and the knights are
>>> a group of diverse women.
>>
>> You won't have to wait too long...
>>
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMTAkdlWkAA-MBV.jpg
>
> Oh, for fucks sake...

This is not exactly new...

https://westernnews.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2016/0...

--
Trump: If I win, you go to jail, if I lose, I will not accept the
results of the election.

From: The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
Full headers:
From: The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 15:39:58 -0800
On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 10:13:20 -0800, Ian J. Ball<IJBall@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>Yes - this basically rules any serious historical drama, or literature
>adaptaion, out of contention. So any future Jane Austen adaptation, or
>even more ridiculously, any film about a, say, 15th century African
>tribe or empire (all black cast, so "not diverse", right?...), would be
>out of luck.

Trouble is the social justice warriors care about more than just
diversity.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter would be criticized by these folks for
having a powerful white man saving defenceless black people from die
hard evil white people (aka Vampires masquerading as hardcore
Confederates chiefly intereste in maintaining slavery to ensure
themselves a source of victims to harvest their blood).

Such a plot is in itself racist you understand.

And don't get me going on Zulu or The Man Who Would Be King! (Since
while Afghans can be assumed to be Muslim they're not African or Asian
- and "based on a story by Rudyard Kipling" is bound to ensure the SJW
do-gooders)

From: Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu>
Full headers:
From: Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 10:51:59 -0500
In article<atropos-ACB509.09593403012018@news.giganews.com>,
 BTR1701<atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> In article<anim8rfsk-911F6F.10204203012018@news.easynews.com>,
>  anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > In article<ae97fbb1-c555-4439-babc-a369ff8790c9@googlegroups.com>,
> >  Ed Stasiak<estasiak@att.net> wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/12/19/the_bafta_awards_wil...
> > > de
> > > _films_that_are_not_diverse_starting_in_2019.html
>
> > > Starting in 2019, if Your Film Isn't Diverse, It Won't Be Eligible for a
> > > BAFTA Award
> > >
> > > In an incredibly bold move,
> >
> > There are a lot of words for this. "Bold" is not one of them.
>
> So a movie about the Vikings now has to cast black and latino and Asian
> people as Norsemen?**
>
> Or are films about white people just not allowed at all anymore?

It doesn't have to be the on-screen cast, the diversity can be in major
crew.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA

From: BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com>
Full headers:
From: BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 09:53:24 -0800
In article<barmar-C94922.10515904012018@reader.eternal-september.org>,
 Barry Margolin<barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article<atropos-ACB509.09593403012018@news.giganews.com>,
>  BTR1701<atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > In article<anim8rfsk-911F6F.10204203012018@news.easynews.com>,
> >  anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> > > There are a lot of words for this. "Bold" is not one of them.
> >
> > So a movie about the Vikings now has to cast black and latino and Asian
> > people as Norsemen?**
> >
> > Or are films about white people just not allowed at all anymore?
>
> It doesn't have to be the on-screen cast, the diversity can be in major
> crew.

So a movie about Vikings has to hire a black director.

I wonder if a movie about black history and full of black actors would
have to hire a white director to balance out the 'diversity'. Or nah.

From: The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
Full headers:
From: The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 15:35:52 -0800
On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 09:59:34 -0800, BTR1701<atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>So a movie about the Vikings now has to cast black and latino and Asian
>people as Norsemen?**
>
>Or are films about white people just not allowed at all anymore?

Not necessarily - Ragnar Lothbrok had a Chinese mistress who had a
whopper of a story about how she was passed hand to hand to eventually
reach the Viking lands.

The story was more than a bit far fetched but for sure she was easy on
the eyes!

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 15:58:41 -0500
On 1/3/2018 12:20 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article<ae97fbb1-c555-4439-babc-a369ff8790c9@googlegroups.com>,
>   Ed Stasiak<estasiak@att.net> wrote:
>
>> http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/12/19/the_bafta_awards_wil...
>> ilms_that_are_not_diverse_starting_in_2019.html
>> DEC. 19 2016
>>
>> Starting in 2019, if Your Film Isn't Diverse, It Won't Be Eligible for a
>> BAFTA Award
>>
>> In an incredibly bold move,
>
> There are a lot of words for this.  "Bold" is not one of them.

Isn't something like 70% of all UK film-making based upon retelling
stories of their royalty?  How are they going to make that work now...at
least beyond Megan Markle?

>>  the British Academy of Film and Television Arts
>> announced last week that,
>> beginning in 2019, works that do not demonstrate inclusivity in their
>> production practices will no longer
>> be eligible for the Outstanding British Film or Outstanding Debut by a
>> British Writer, Director, or Producer
>> awards at the annual BAFTAs, often considered the U.K. equivalent of the
>> Oscars.*

Oh...I see the gimmick.  This doesn't have to be about on screen diversity.

>> Eligible projects must showcase this in two of the following ways, as
>> the BBC reported: On-screen
>> characters and themes, senior roles and crew, industry training and career
>> progression, and audience
>> access and appeal to underrepresented audiences.

Um...wait...so if the whole cast and everyone behind the scenes is
white, but a bunch of non-whites go to see the project it still
qualifies?  Oh my...at this rate the terms are so broad that everything
will still be eligible.

>> BAFTA will also remove the
>> requirement that newly
>> admitted voters be recommended by two existing members.

So, recruiting rather than referral going forward.

>> Back in 2014, the British Film Institute established similar standards for
>> projects seeking National Lottery
>> funding in an effort to improve representation within the filmmaking
>> industry. BAFTA's decision is particularly
>> striking, however, when you hold it up against its American counterpart, the
>> Academy of Motion Pictures Arts
>> and Sciences, which, of course, faced an embarrassing PR backlash with the
>> #OscarsSoWhite campaign
>> this year.

This year?  Hasn't that been going on for several years now?  Didn't the
Golden Globes just step in it again this year with respect to minorities
and gender?

>> Not long after the Oscar nominations revealed, for the second year
>> in a row, a slate of all-white
>> acting nominees, the academy announced that it was changing its membership
>> rules in an effort to address
>> the issue. This included shortening members' voting statuses to 10 years

Which is a good thing since a bunch of out of touch folks have been
determining these awards for far too long.

>> (able to reactivated so long as
>> they remain active within the industry) and adding three more governors'
>> seats filled by people from
>> underrepresented groups.
>>
>> But that change was nowhere near as radical as BAFTA's, which directly
>> addresses the bigger and more
>> pressing concern for representation, from acting to directing to executive
>> opportunities, and everything in
>> between. Stating, point blank, that you cannot even think about receiving
>> these accolades from one of film's
>> most prestigious institutions unless you make an effort to bring in a wider
>> variety of collaborators is to light
>> a much-needed fire under the filmmakers' butts.

Well, no, the rules change, if enforced would actually put a bunch of
filmmakers out of work.  The fire seems to be being lit under the
financers of these films, both in terms of lottery funding and in terms
of denying 'high brow' films the awards recognition they need to recoup
their investment.

>> It won't solve every issue
>> overnight—surely somewhere
>> out there there's a filmmaker, or a funder, who really, truly doesn't care
>> about awards—

Translation...all the action, sci-fi, comedy, and horror films need not
worry about this since they get ignored by the awards circuit anyway.

>> but it's a step in the
>> right direction. As we've seen countless times, counting on people in power
>> to do the right thing while letting
>> them go unchecked does not lead to progress, and even hinders it.
>>
>> Many people will undoubtedly find this move to be blasphemous, leaning on the
>> tired crutch of "artistic freedom"
>> to label BAFTA as intrusive. They can live and die by that sword if they'd
>> like, but they'll only be proving that
>> they're not quite as creative or imaginative as they claim to be.

Someone should take the dare and cast Octavia Spencer as Elizabeth II.

> So whoever wrote this was a retard.

They definitely seem to be trolling.

Next <
From: Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 16:33:54 -0500
On 2018-01-03 3:58 PM, Obveeus wrote:

> On 1/3/2018 12:20 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> In article<ae97fbb1-c555-4439-babc-a369ff8790c9@googlegroups.com>,
>>   Ed Stasiak<estasiak@att.net> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/12/19/the_bafta_awards_wil...
>>>
>>> ilms_that_are_not_diverse_starting_in_2019.html
>>> DEC. 19 2016
>>>
>>> Starting in 2019, if Your Film Isn't Diverse, It Won't Be Eligible for a
>>> BAFTA Award
>>>
>>> In an incredibly bold move,
>>
>> There are a lot of words for this.  "Bold" is not one of them.
>
> Isn't something like 70% of all UK film-making based upon retelling
> stories of their royalty?  How are they going to make that work now...at
> least beyond Megan Markle?

That's just silly. I've seen lots of British productions, with both
contemporary and historical settings, and productions about the Royal
family of the day are only a small percentage of them. Britain has a
rich history so it has plenty of scope for historical dramas but for
every Victoria, you get several Poldarks or Downton Abbeys or Doctor
Whos that rarely if ever feature a Royal.

> [...]
>>> care
>>> about awards—
>
> Translation...all the action, sci-fi, comedy, and horror films need not
> worry about this since they get ignored by the awards circuit anyway.
>
>>> but it's a step in the
>>> right direction. As we've seen countless times, counting on people in
>>> power
>>> to do the right thing while letting
>>> them go unchecked does not lead to progress, and even hinders it.
>>>
>>> Many people will undoubtedly find this move to be blasphemous,
>>> leaning on the
>>> tired crutch of "artistic freedom"
>>> to label BAFTA as intrusive. They can live and die by that sword if
>>> they'd
>>> like, but they'll only be proving that
>>> they're not quite as creative or imaginative as they claim to be.
>
> Someone should take the dare and cast Octavia Spencer as Elizabeth II.

It would be interesting to see the world's reaction to that. Who would
have the courage to say that it was preposterous and which gutless
cowards would insist it was "brave" or "inspired" or what have you?

>> So whoever wrote this was a retard.
>
> They definitely seem to be trolling.

That's possible but it seems more likely to me that they are SJWs
signalling their approval.

--
Rhino