> Prev
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2018-02-08 (Thursday)
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 08:20:45 -0500
I watched:

NCAABB:  In the background I sort of watched Arizona vs. UCLA
basketball.  Arizona started off behind and, aside from a brief moment
in the game, stayed there throughout.  Arizona had a very hard time
getting anything to go into the basket.

SUNLIGHT JR.:  A 2013 drama starring Naomi Watts and Matt Dillon as a
couple living in poverty and trying to make their place in life.  They
have no money to speak of, so they eat out and go to bars a lot and
smoke cigarettes...sadly, this is realistic to a lot of people living in
poverty.  Everyone in the film acts like trailer trash and the only
people I felt bad for were the slew of foster care children that Tess
Harper's character was using like cattle.  This film was nothing more
than a depressing look at society.

A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this film
has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot imagine
how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless tale
stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high art.  This
is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara
provide supporting characters, but really this whole film is just about
a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.

What did you watch?

From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2018-02-08 (Thursday)
From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 06:30:00 -0800
On 2018-02-09 13:20:45 +0000, Obveeus said:

> A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this film
> has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot
> imagine how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless
> tale stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high art.
> This is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck and Rooney
> Mara provide supporting characters, but really this whole film is just
> about a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.

This sounds like something I'd like a lot more than you would.

I believe Arthur also saw this, but I don't remember his take on it...

> What did you watch?

To cover yesterday's eaten-by-ES post, a quick recap of Wednesday,
before Thursday's viewings...:

WED:

The Tudors (The Netflix) - Ep's #4.7 & 4.8. See a general review of the
entire series below. But in these two episodes, it felt like they
thought the show was actually about Henry, when it's supposed to be
about Henry's wives and daughters!!...  ;)

The Blacklist - "The Invisible Hand". I thought this was quite a
mediocre episode - even the 'B' storyline with Red & Lizzie sagged...
:(

THUR:

The Magicians (recorded) - "A Life in the Day" (ep. #3.5). This was an
odd little episode. To continue their "Quest" for the next key, Quentin
and Eliot end up having to live an entire life (in an alternate
timeline) - it was nice to see Rose Lipton again here, though, and the
actress that played Quentin's "wife" (Kylee Bush?) was quite
attractive. Meanwhile, both Kady and Penny have a very bad day. Margo's
life gets crappier (but at least now Dina Meyer is her
mother-in-law!!). And Julia's and Alice's story was confusing - Julia
was told to help Alice, but all she did was help herself!... Still, it
looks like Julia and Alice might consider a "magic switch".

The Tudors (The Netflix) - The final two episodes: "Secrets of the
Heart" and "Death of a Monarchy" (ep's #4.9 & 4.10).
   Overall, I quite enjoyed this series. The strongest parts to my mind
were all of season #2 (which details the rise and fall of Anne Boleyn,
along with Thomas More) and the first half of season #4 (Catherine
Howard). The weakest parts were, perhaps ironically, the beginning (the
first half of season #1) and the end (the last half of season #4).
Indeed, Season #4 got a lot less compelling when Catherine Parr showed
up, and the show never really treated her as much more than a
peripheral character. Also, they kind of blew it by not having Anne of
Cleves back in the last half of season #4, as she was still around...
   That said, I thought the final episode was actually decent, if not
outstanding - it was fun to see 3 of Henry's wives again (Catherine
Howard wasn't granted a ticket to this reunion, as it was only granted
to the wives of Henry who produced extant offspring...).
   However, at the end here, they played fast and loose with the
character of Duke of Suffolk - Charles Brandon actually died in 1545,
two years before Henry, not in the same month!!
   Impressively, this series managed to steer pretty close to the
actual *history* (only deviating majorly in a few spots - e.g.
Catherine Howard's final words), which as we can see from others is
*rare* for a historical series (see, esp: "Reign", but also "Victoria",
both of which like to throw the actual history out the window!!). There
were some (biggish) problems however: losing Henry Czerny's Duke of
Norfolk after season #1 was a major, major problem. Similarly, losing
Archbishop Cranmer after season #2 was almost as big of a problem. Both
of these absences had later repercussions, as both were *actively*
involved in the actual events depicted over the whole course of the
series. Honestly, the show should have just *recast* both roles if they
couldn't get Czerny and Hans Matheson back.
   After this, somebody *really* needs to do a "Mary & Elizabeth"
series - I'd love to see Sarah Bolger again as Princess/Queen Mary,
with Karen Gillan as Princess/Queen Elizabeth!!  ;)

Arrow - "The Devil's Greatest Trick" (ep. #6.13). Well, that was
anti-climatic! The "Cayden James arc" is seemingly resolved... and I'm
both relieved but also a little disappointed, as I was expecting it was
going to be revealed that Alena(!! Kacey Rohl) was behind it all!!
   Anyway, this is all pointing towards a much less interesting
back-half of season #6...  :/

Recorded for later: Thursdays are pretty dead right now, so nuthin'...

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 08:44:53 -0700
In article <p5kb97$2ki$2@dont-email.me>,
 Ian J. Ball<IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2018-02-09 13:20:45 +0000, Obveeus said:
>
> > A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this film
> > has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot
> > imagine how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless
> > tale stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high art.
> > This is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck and Rooney
> > Mara provide supporting characters, but really this whole film is just
> > about a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.
>
> This sounds like something I'd like a lot more than you would.

IMDb score 6.9, so it's way out of your bailiwick.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 11:12:20 -0500
On 2/9/2018 10:44 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <p5kb97$2ki$2@dont-email.me>,
>   Ian J. Ball<IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2018-02-09 13:20:45 +0000, Obveeus said:
>>
>>> A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this film
>>> has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot
>>> imagine how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless
>>> tale stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high art.
>>> This is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck and Rooney
>>> Mara provide supporting characters, but really this whole film is just
>>> about a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.
>>
>> This sounds like something I'd like a lot more than you would.
>
> IMDb score 6.9, so it's way out of your bailiwick.

....and I have no idea why such a tiny concept gets a 'high' score.

Speaking of IMDB scores, the Daddario Netflix film, WHEN WE FIRST MET,
is up to a 6.8, though with only 112 votes.  That is a far cry from the
10,000+ votes that THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX got in its first day...and
the 6.8 puts it out of Ian's sweet spot for now.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 13:34:20 -0700
In article <p5kh93$ge4$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 2/9/2018 10:44 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <p5kb97$2ki$2@dont-email.me>,
> >   Ian J. Ball<IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

> >> This sounds like something I'd like a lot more than you would.
> >
> > IMDb score 6.9, so it's way out of your bailiwick.
>
> ...and I have no idea why such a tiny concept gets a 'high' score.
>
> Speaking of IMDB scores, the Daddario Netflix film, WHEN WE FIRST MET,
> is up to a 6.8, though with only 112 votes.

People keep waking up the same day and voting again.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 11:07:45 -0500
On 2/9/2018 9:30 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2018-02-09 13:20:45 +0000, Obveeus said:
>
>> A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this film
>> has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot
>> imagine how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless
>> tale stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high art.
>> This is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck and
>> Rooney Mara provide supporting characters, but really this whole film
>> is just about a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.
>
> This sounds like something I'd like a lot more than you would.

I don't think so.  Hint:  it isn't 'horror' at all.

> The Magicians (recorded) - "A Life in the Day" (ep. #3.5). This was an
> odd little episode. To continue their "Quest" for the next key, Quentin
> and Eliot end up having to live an entire life (in an alternate
> timeline) - it was nice to see Rose Lipton again here, though, and the
> actress that played Quentin's "wife" (Kylee Bush?) was quite attractive.
> Meanwhile, both Kady and Penny have a very bad day. Margo's life gets
> crappier (but at least now Dina Meyer is her mother-in-law!!). And
> Julia's and Alice's story was confusing - Julia was told to help Alice,
> but all she did was help herself!... Still, it looks like Julia and
> Alice might consider a "magic switch".

Alice is very clearly still a drug addict (for magic) in a dangerously
obsessive way.  Giving her magic seems like a bad idea.

I also wondered, if they can find a way to travel between past-fillory
(the clock) and back (back being the still unknown part, but a button or
something could solve that) then couldn't they travel with some magic
batteries and charge them up for use in the now magic-lite Earth domain?

> Recorded for later: Thursdays are pretty dead right now, so nuthin'...

15million people tuned in for the Olympics.  I guess it was like early
rounds of AMERICAN IDOL (the old one, not the higher class reboot
coming) where there were lots of people failing and that was the reason
to watch.

From: suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com>
Full headers:
From: suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 09:05:47 -0800
Ian J. Ball wrote:

> Recorded for later: Thursdays are pretty dead right now, so nuthin'...

Everyday's pretty dead right now, until the olympics are done.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 11:25:39 -0700
In article <p5kkdn$fha$1@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq<suzee@imbris.com>
wrote:

> Ian J. Ball wrote:
>

> > Recorded for later: Thursdays are pretty dead right now, so nuthin'...
> >

> Everyday's pretty dead right now, until the olympics are done.

Ian's got the entire series of GONE to go through.

From: Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 10:42:13 -0800 (PST)
From: "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.com>
On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 10:25:42 AM UTC-8, anim8rfsk wrote:

> In article <p5kkdn$fha$1@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq<suzee@imbris.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Ian J. Ball wrote:
> >
> > > Recorded for later: Thursdays are pretty dead right now, so nuthin'...
> >
> > Everyday's pretty dead right now, until the olympics are done.
>
> Ian's got the entire series of GONE to go through.

You'll be disappointed to know that that's not even on my radar right now.

Next target is "Top of the Lake" (so that I can then cancel Hulu), and also probably something else
on Netflix - maybe "Altered Carbon" or "Travellers"...

Also, I'm going to add Amazon at some point soon, and then I can tackle "The White Queen"...

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 15:05:35 -0500
On 2/9/2018 1:42 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 10:25:42 AM UTC-8, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> In article <p5kkdn$fha$1@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq<suzee@imbris.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Everyday's pretty dead right now, until the olympics are done.
>>
>> Ian's got the entire series of GONE to go through.
>
> You'll be disappointed to know that that's not even on my radar right now.
>
> Next target is "Top of the Lake" (so that I can then cancel Hulu),

Season #1 was good.  No idea what they did to it in season #2 since it
fell into the Hulu abyss.

> and also probably something else on Netflix - maybe "Altered Carbon" or "Travellers"...

Both worthy shows.

> Also, I'm going to add Amazon at some point soon, and then I can tackle "The White Queen"...

You should try MOZART IN THE JUNGLE.

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 19:24:40 -0800
On 2/9/2018 6:30 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2018-02-09 13:20:45 +0000, Obveeus said:
>
>> A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this film
>> has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot
>> imagine how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless
>> tale stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high art.
>> This is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck and
>> Rooney Mara provide supporting characters, but really this whole film
>> is just about a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.
>
> This sounds like something I'd like a lot more than you would.
>
> I believe Arthur also saw this, but I don't remember his take on it...

I *liked* it *but* it's a movie that absolutely screams out for watching
a second time with a commentary track.

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Full headers:
From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 06:43:07 -0800
On 2/9/2018 5:20 AM, Obveeus wrote:
> I watched:
>
> NCAABB:  In the background I sort of watched Arizona vs. UCLA
> basketball.  Arizona started off behind and, aside from a brief moment
> in the game, stayed there throughout.  Arizona had a very hard time
> getting anything to go into the basket.
>
> SUNLIGHT JR.:  A 2013 drama starring Naomi Watts and Matt Dillon as a
> couple living in poverty and trying to make their place in life.  They
> have no money to speak of, so they eat out and go to bars a lot and
> smoke cigarettes...sadly, this is realistic to a lot of people living in
> poverty.  Everyone in the film acts like trailer trash and the only
> people I felt bad for were the slew of foster care children that Tess
> Harper's character was using like cattle.  This film was nothing more
> than a depressing look at society.
>
> A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this film
> has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot imagine
> how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless tale
> stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high art.  This
> is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara
> provide supporting characters, but really this whole film is just about
> a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.

Well, I guess I liked it a lot more than you did.

> What did you watch?

Law and Order: SVU - "The Undiscovered Country" - This show didn't just
jump the shark, it beat it too death with it's own tale.  Jack McCoy
returns for Benjamin Stone's funeral.  Along for the ride is Ben's son
Peter Stone, who I had *no* idea was an existing character on a spin off
show. Any way, with two extra DAs in the episode, you *know* the current
DA is on the way out.  And he goes out with a bang when in a
*completely* out of character move he mercy kills a baby and is put on
trial for murder by Peter Stone.

Supernatural - "Devil's Bargain" - Lucifer takes up panhandling because
the writers have run out of ideas and think it's funny.  And to really
emphasize just how out of ideas the writers are, they have the angels do
something they would *never* under *any* circumstances ever do.

The Olympics - I watched bits and pieces of this, mostly professional
Olympic level skaters falling one after the other.  And is it really so
hard to schedule the Olympics so that the first event happens *after*
the opening ceremony?

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 08:42:30 -0700
In article <p5kc1t$8mn$1@dont-email.me>,
 Arthur Lipscomb<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> Law and Order: SVU - "The Undiscovered Country" - This show didn't just
> jump the shark, it beat it too death with it's own tale.  Jack McCoy
> returns for Benjamin Stone's funeral.

Wait, what?  Had Stone been on this before or did they just bring back
his corpse?

From: BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com>
From: BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 08:24:43 -0800
In article<anim8rfsk-C13920.08423009022018@news.easynews.com>,
 anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <p5kc1t$8mn$1@dont-email.me>,
>  Arthur Lipscomb<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
> > Law and Order: SVU - "The Undiscovered Country" - This show didn't just
> > jump the shark, it beat it too death with it's own tale.  Jack McCoy
> > returns for Benjamin Stone's funeral.
>
> Wait, what? Had Stone been on this before or did they just bring back
> his corpse?

He's never been on the show and he wasn't on this ep. Just a casket and
and an old head shot on an easel next to it.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 11:32:16 -0700
In article<atropos-E21E4E.08244309022018@news.giganews.com>,
 BTR1701<atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> In article<anim8rfsk-C13920.08423009022018@news.easynews.com>,
>  anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <p5kc1t$8mn$1@dont-email.me>,
> >  Arthur Lipscomb<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Law and Order: SVU - "The Undiscovered Country" - This show didn't just
> > > jump the shark, it beat it too death with it's own tale.  Jack McCoy
> > > returns for Benjamin Stone's funeral.
> >
> > Wait, what? Had Stone been on this before or did they just bring back
> > his corpse?
>
> He's never been on the show and he wasn't on this ep. Just a casket and
> and an old head shot on an easel next to it.

Thanks.  Still I suppose I'll see of OnDEMAND has it, for McCoy.

Wow.  'SVU' returns NO hits on the DVR search.  In fact there's no SV
anything.  If you search for S then V is grayed out.

And they spell it LAW & ORDER but there's no & in the search keys, so
you can't do that either.

And ... Jesus fucking Christ.  There it is, they call it Law & Order SVU
but you can't search for & or SV.  You just search for LAW and then dig
through without being able to narrow it down.

Wow.  Law & Orgasm???

And ... the only SVU eps OnDEMAND are old ones on USA.

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 19:23:57 -0800
On 2/9/2018 7:42 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <p5kc1t$8mn$1@dont-email.me>,
>   Arthur Lipscomb<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> Law and Order: SVU - "The Undiscovered Country" - This show didn't just
>> jump the shark, it beat it too death with it's own tale.  Jack McCoy
>> returns for Benjamin Stone's funeral.
>
> Wait, what?  Had Stone been on this before or did they just bring back
> his corpse?

He hasn't been on ever. Just a picture of him.  As far as I can recall
none of the SVU team has ever met or had any dealings with him.  I
*think* he was long gone when SVU premiered.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 20:35:14 -0700
In article <p5lokd$gqq$1@dont-email.me>,
 Arthur Lipscomb<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On 2/9/2018 7:42 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <p5kc1t$8mn$1@dont-email.me>,
> >   Arthur Lipscomb<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Law and Order: SVU - "The Undiscovered Country" - This show didn't just
> >> jump the shark, it beat it too death with it's own tale.  Jack McCoy
> >> returns for Benjamin Stone's funeral.
> >
> > Wait, what?  Had Stone been on this before or did they just bring back
> > his corpse?
> >

> He hasn't been on ever. Just a picture of him.  As far as I can recall
> none of the SVU team has ever met or had any dealings with him.  I
> *think* he was long gone when SVU premiered.

Yep, I just checked, there's a 5 year gap.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 08:41:06 -0700
In article <p5k77h$5h5$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
wrote:

> A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this film
> has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot imagine
> how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless tale
> stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high art.  This
> is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara
> provide supporting characters, but really this whole film is just about
> a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.

Pretty much a standard description of any Afflac movie.

From: suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com>
Full headers:
From: suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 09:06:14 -0800
anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <p5k77h$5h5$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this film
>> has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot imagine
>> how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless tale
>> stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high art.  This
>> is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara
>> provide supporting characters, but really this whole film is just about
>> a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.
>
> Pretty much a standard description of any Afflac movie.

Is that about a duck?

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 11:25:23 -0700
In article <p5kkej$fha$2@news.albasani.net>, suzeeq<suzee@imbris.com>
wrote:

> anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <p5k77h$5h5$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this film
> >> has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot imagine
> >> how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless tale
> >> stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high art.  This
> >> is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara
> >> provide supporting characters, but really this whole film is just about
> >> a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.
> >
> > Pretty much a standard description of any Afflac movie.
> >
> Is that about a duck?

If the bill fits ...

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 15:00:35 -0500
On 2/9/2018 12:06 PM, suzeeq wrote:
> anim8rfsk wrote:
>> In article <p5k77h$5h5$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this
>>> film has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot
>>> imagine how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless
>>> tale stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high
>>> art.  This is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck
>>> and Rooney Mara provide supporting characters, but really this whole
>>> film is just about a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.
>>
>> Pretty much a standard description of any Afflac movie.
>>
> Is that about a duck?

It is a film that is not all it's quacked up to be.

From: Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 15:11:59 -0500
On 2018-02-09 10:41 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <p5k77h$5h5$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this film
>> has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot imagine
>> how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless tale
>> stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high art.  This
>> is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara
>> provide supporting characters, but really this whole film is just about
>> a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.
>
> Pretty much a standard description of any Afflac movie.

The question is: was the bedsheet a decent actor? I mean, you've got
your talented bedsheets and then you've got the wannabes. Which one was
this? ;-)

--
Rhino

From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 21:36:12 -0500
anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:

>> A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this film
>> has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot imagine
>> how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless tale
>> stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high art.  This
>> is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara
>> provide supporting characters, but really this whole film is just about
>> a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.
>
>Pretty much a standard description of any Afflac movie.

Chili makes his parents vomit.

have to audit liberals  & wire tap reporters' phones.

From: David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 14:20:57 -0700
On 2018-02-09 6:20 AM, Obveeus wrote:
> I watched:
>
> NCAABB:  In the background I sort of watched Arizona vs. UCLA
> basketball.  Arizona started off behind and, aside from a brief moment
> in the game, stayed there throughout.  Arizona had a very hard time
> getting anything to go into the basket.
>
> SUNLIGHT JR.:  A 2013 drama starring Naomi Watts and Matt Dillon as a
> couple living in poverty and trying to make their place in life.  They
> have no money to speak of, so they eat out and go to bars a lot and
> smoke cigarettes...sadly, this is realistic to a lot of people living in
> poverty.  Everyone in the film acts like trailer trash and the only
> people I felt bad for were the slew of foster care children that Tess
> Harper's character was using like cattle.  This film was nothing more
> than a depressing look at society.
>
> A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this film
> has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot imagine
> how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless tale
> stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high art.  This
> is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara
> provide supporting characters, but really this whole film is just about
> a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.
>
> What did you watch?

Mech X-4.  This is a juvenile series and I"m not a faithful watcher of
it, but the ultimate villain in the first season was actually pretty
well characterized considering this was a kid's show.  For it's target
demographic it would actually be really good.***

How the Universe Works:  Supernovas:  Didn't tell me much I didn't
already know but had lots of pretty coloured CGI explosions that ignore
the fact that real supernovae would be just...white to the human eye.  I
wonder how many people think that novas and nebulae really look like
that?***

Frankie Drake Mysteries.  Frankie is asked to try to check out that
"Anastasia Romanoff" who was around in the 20s and find out whether
she's for real.  She fails of course, but does find out who is trying to
kill her , so that's something. ****

Frankie Drake Mysteries:  A flashback to the days when Frankie was a spy
in the Great War and met Trudy...who suspected her of being a German
spy.  Incidentally in the episode before these two I got to find out
what happens to Crabtree after his life in Murdoch Mysteries so they're
definitely shared universe. ****

Endeavour:  A murder involving members of a cult.  I'm afraid I didn't
follow it very well although I did notice that they were really playing
up the capability of the cute WPC...I think to explain her getting
promoted to be the new partner so early in history.  Not a lot of female
homicide detectives in the early 60s I think.**

Next <
Full headers:
From: "Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 20:31:19 -0600
Obveeus sent the following on 02/09/2018 at 07:20 AM:
> What did you watch?

SUPERNATURAL / 13x13 / Devil's Bargain

[Sam, Dean and Castiel search for Lucifer who, meanwhile, strikes an
unlikely deal with a local faith healer named Sister Jo. Asmodeus inches
closer to finding Jack.]

Cass makes it back at the bunker, but we're still missing Jack and Mama
Winchester at this point. In this one, a formerly lowly drone angel has
ambitions and teams up with Lucifer even as Ketch teams up with
Asmodeus. Asmodeus has the angel blade and he has...Gabriel.

Grade: B

BEYOND / 2x05 / Six Feet Deep

[Luke discovers Holden sleepwalking, and helps him unearth a new clue
into what is happening with the Realm. Willa steps in to help Luke with
a difficult situation. Charlie is given the opportunity to get what
she's been seeking, while Shoemacher continues to recruit followers into
Hollow Sky. Meanwhile, Charlie and Holden have a strange reunion, and
Diego makes his way towards Ft. Reed - and Holden.]

Finally, some forward momentum to go along with the soap. Holden
sleepwalks his way to a buried refrigerator that brings back memories
and will surely provide some answers. Willa goes badass to settle an
unfair debt for Luke, eventually leading to me wondering which of them
is the moth and which is the flame. Holden's mom has a creepy exchange
with the creepy pastor and makes tentative plans for a weekend away with
him as she continues to look into Hollow Sky. Charlie can't go through
with murdering Willa's uncle and ends up in Holden's bed in a G-rated
sort of way. Yellowjacket learns that Frost isn't dead, but in cryogenic
freeze. Well, that last bit could get interesting in a hurry...

Grade: B

"Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's
occupant makes the rescue imperative." -- Lt. Gordon Malloy, THE ORVILLE