> Prev
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Subject: Altered Carbon
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 12:21:55 -0500
Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
kept repeating it over and over.

It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
rushed.

I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: Re: Altered Carbon
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 12:58:36 -0500
On 2/9/2018 12:21 PM, EGK wrote:
> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
> the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
> kept repeating it over and over.
>
> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
> rushed.
>
> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>

It was a handsome production -- enough so that I'll likely tune in for a
Season #2.  But, yes, the narrative structure, as well as the nature of
the premise, were pretty "demanding".  Also, for that much work, I'd
have liked a deeper plot with more insights... and fewer spin-kicks...

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 16:51:12 -0600
On 2/9/18 11:58 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 2/9/2018 12:21 PM, EGK wrote:
>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like
>> this
>> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to
>> read
>> the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most
>> part.
>> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>> kept repeating it over and over.
>>
>> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
>> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for
>> Altered
>> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>> rushed.
>>
>> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
>> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much
>> sense
>> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>
> It was a handsome production -- enough so that I'll likely tune in for a
> Season #2.  But, yes, the narrative structure, as well as the nature of
> the premise, were pretty "demanding".  Also, for that much work, I'd
> have liked a deeper plot with more insights... and fewer spin-kicks...

I didn't find it demanding as much as I feel in this day and age you
better be very clever with your use of flashbacks, which they weren't.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 18:35:48 -0500
On 2/9/2018 5:51 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 2/9/18 11:58 AM, moviePig wrote:
>> On 2/9/2018 12:21 PM, EGK wrote:
>>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like
>>> this
>>> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to
>>> read
>>> the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most
>>> part.
>>> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>>> kept repeating it over and over.
>>>
>>> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
>>> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for
>>> Altered
>>> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>>> rushed.
>>>
>>> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear
>>> storyline
>>> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much
>>> sense
>>> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>>
>> It was a handsome production -- enough so that I'll likely tune in for
>> a Season #2.  But, yes, the narrative structure, as well as the nature
>> of the premise, were pretty "demanding".  Also, for that much work,
>> I'd have liked a deeper plot with more insights... and fewer
>> spin-kicks...
>

> I didn't find it demanding as much as I feel in this day and age you
> better be very clever with your use of flashbacks, which they weren't.

E.g., you could forgo a profusion of *both* flashbacks and backstories.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 03:53:34 -0600
On 2/9/18 5:35 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 2/9/2018 5:51 PM, trotsky wrote:

>>> It was a handsome production -- enough so that I'll likely tune in
>>> for a Season #2.  But, yes, the narrative structure, as well as the
>>> nature of the premise, were pretty "demanding".  Also, for that much
>>> work, I'd have liked a deeper plot with more insights... and fewer
>>> spin-kicks...
>>

>> I didn't find it demanding as much as I feel in this day and age you
>> better be very clever with your use of flashbacks, which they weren't.
>
> E.g., you could forgo a profusion of *both* flashbacks and backstories.

I could, but if they were told in a more interesting way it would be
fine.  The part with the kids was insipid, and the part with whoever
that woman was who was his mentor was hackneyed.  I found it really hard
to stay interested.  YMMV.  If you liked it that's your personal
preference, I'm not taking umbrage with that.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 10:32:17 -0500
On 2/10/2018 4:53 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 2/9/18 5:35 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>> I didn't find it demanding as much as I feel in this day and age you
>>> better be very clever with your use of flashbacks, which they weren't.
>>
>> E.g., you could forgo a profusion of *both* flashbacks and backstories.
>>

> I could, but if they were told in a more interesting way it would be
> fine.  The part with the kids was insipid, and the part with whoever
> that woman was who was his mentor was hackneyed.  I found it really hard
> to stay interested.  YMMV.  If you liked it that's your personal
> preference, I'm not taking umbrage with that.

No, I liked the look & feel.  The particulars, not so much.  It seemed
to me always on the edge of turning into something better.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid>
From: Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 12:35:45 -0500
moviePig wrote:
> On 2/10/2018 4:53 AM, trotsky wrote:

>>> E.g., you could forgo a profusion of *both* flashbacks and backstories.
>>>

>> I could, but if they were told in a more interesting way it would be
>> fine.  The part with the kids was insipid, and the part with whoever
>> that woman was who was his mentor was hackneyed.  I found it really
>> hard to stay interested.  YMMV.  If you liked it that's your personal
>> preference, I'm not taking umbrage with that.
>
> No, I liked the look & feel.  The particulars, not so much.  It seemed
> to me always on the edge of turning into something better.

Isn't that frustrating? I've had that reaction to shows before.

--Robin

From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Full headers:
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 13:17:35 -0500

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 17:33:03 -0500
On 2/10/2018 12:35 PM, Robin Miller wrote:
> moviePig wrote:

>>> I could, but if they were told in a more interesting way it would be
>>> fine.  The part with the kids was insipid, and the part with whoever
>>> that woman was who was his mentor was hackneyed.  I found it really
>>> hard to stay interested.  YMMV.  If you liked it that's your personal
>>> preference, I'm not taking umbrage with that.
>>
>> No, I liked the look & feel.  The particulars, not so much.  It seemed
>> to me always on the edge of turning into something better.
>
> Isn't that frustrating? I've had that reaction to shows before.

moviePig is correct about this series having the look and atmosphere of
something that should have been even better.  Just as with the Marvel
Netflix series, they lose some quality grounding every time characters
start using martial arts as plot.

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 14:16:53 -0600
On 2/10/2018 9:32 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 2/10/2018 4:53 AM, trotsky wrote:

>>> E.g., you could forgo a profusion of *both* flashbacks and backstories.
>>>

>> I could, but if they were told in a more interesting way it would be
>> fine.  The part with the kids was insipid, and the part with whoever
>> that woman was who was his mentor was hackneyed.  I found it really
>> hard to stay interested.  YMMV.  If you liked it that's your personal
>> preference, I'm not taking umbrage with that.
>
> No, I liked the look & feel.  The particulars, not so much.  It seemed
> to me always on the edge of turning into something better.

You didn't find it way too Blade Runner-ish?  I'd say the best thing
about it is the cast, in Joel Kinnaman and the lady who plays Ortega.
James Purefoy ruins every scene he's in.

---

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 11:37:17 -0700
In article<bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com>,
 EGK<me@privacy.net> wrote:

> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?

Ob and I have a long detailed discussion about it over on
What Did You Watch? 2018-02-07 (Wednesday)

  I wanted to like this
> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
> the book by the time it ended.

It actually makes me want to read the book, because I know the TV writer
to be an incompetent fool, and the redits say she tossed the book anyway.

 It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
> kept repeating it over and over.

Ob and I are discussing that too.  :)  Please join in!

> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.

In that they were ripping off Larry Niven with every keystroke?  Yep.

   That show got way
> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
> rushed.
>
> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>

I don't think it was that non linear, and probably couldn't be much more
linear given that it covered hundreds of years.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Full headers:
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 14:20:53 -0500
On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 11:37:17 -0700, anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>In article<bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com>,
> EGK<me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?
>
>Ob and I have a long detailed discussion about it over on
>What Did You Watch? 2018-02-07 (Wednesday)

Exactly why those What did you watch threads suck.  :)   I mostly avoid
those threads because of the constant spoilers.

>  I wanted to like this
>> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
>> the book by the time it ended.
>
>It actually makes me want to read the book, because I know the TV writer
>to be an incompetent fool, and the redits say she tossed the book anyway.
>
> It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
>> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>> kept repeating it over and over.
>
>Ob and I are discussing that too.  :)  Please join in!
>
>> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.
>
>In that they were ripping off Larry Niven with every keystroke?  Yep.
>
>   That show got way
>> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
>> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>> rushed.
>>
>> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
>> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
>> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>
>I don't think it was that non linear, and probably couldn't be much more
>linear given that it covered hundreds of years.

Really?  They had constant flashbacks to earlier times.   It wasn't till
episode 7 (I think) that they finally told the story of Quell and the
Envoys.

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 16:52:41 -0600
On 2/9/18 1:20 PM, EGK wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 11:37:17 -0700, anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> In article<bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com>,
>> EGK<me@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?
>>
>> Ob and I have a long detailed discussion about it over on
>> What Did You Watch? 2018-02-07 (Wednesday)
>
> Exactly why those What did you watch threads suck.  :)   I mostly avoid
> those threads because of the constant spoilers.
>
>>   I wanted to like this
>>> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
>>> the book by the time it ended.
>>
>> It actually makes me want to read the book, because I know the TV writer
>> to be an incompetent fool, and the redits say she tossed the book anyway.
>>
>> It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
>>> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>>> kept repeating it over and over.
>>
>> Ob and I are discussing that too.  :)  Please join in!
>>
>>> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.
>>
>> In that they were ripping off Larry Niven with every keystroke?  Yep.
>>
>>    That show got way
>>> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
>>> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>>> rushed.
>>>
>>> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
>>> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
>>> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>>
>> I don't think it was that non linear, and probably couldn't be much more
>> linear given that it covered hundreds of years.
>
> Really?  They had constant flashbacks to earlier times.   It wasn't till
> episode 7 (I think) that they finally told the story of Quell and the
> Envoys.

That would make a good name for a band.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 14:39:30 -0500
On 2/9/2018 1:37 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article<bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com>,
>   EGK<me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?
>
> Ob and I have a long detailed discussion about it over on
> What Did You Watch? 2018-02-07 (Wednesday)
>
>    I wanted to like this
>> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
>> the book by the time it ended.
>
> It actually makes me want to read the book, because I know the TV writer
> to be an incompetent fool, and the redits say she tossed the book anyway.
>
>   It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
>> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>> kept repeating it over and over.
>
> Ob and I are discussing that too.  :)  Please join in!
>
>> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.
>
> In that they were ripping off Larry Niven with every keystroke?  Yep.
>
>     That show got way
>> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
>> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>> rushed.
>>
>> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
>> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
>> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>
> I don't think it was that non linear, and probably couldn't be much more
> linear given that it covered hundreds of years.

True.  If it was linear storytelling then we would have had a first
season about abused little kids that had to run away from home.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 13:29:08 -0700
In article <p5ktdg$bpq$2@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 2/9/2018 1:37 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article<bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com>,
> >   EGK<me@privacy.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?
> >
> > Ob and I have a long detailed discussion about it over on
> > What Did You Watch? 2018-02-07 (Wednesday)
> >
> >    I wanted to like this
> >> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
> >> the book by the time it ended.
> >
> > It actually makes me want to read the book, because I know the TV writer
> > to be an incompetent fool, and the redits say she tossed the book anyway.
> >
> >   It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
> >> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
> >> kept repeating it over and over.
> >
> > Ob and I are discussing that too.  :)  Please join in!
> >
> >> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.
> >
> > In that they were ripping off Larry Niven with every keystroke?  Yep.
> >
> >     That show got way
> >> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for
> >> Altered
> >> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
> >> rushed.
> >>
> >> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
> >> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
> >> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
> >
> > I don't think it was that non linear, and probably couldn't be much more
> > linear given that it covered hundreds of years.
>
> True.  If it was linear storytelling then we would have had a first
> season about abused little kids that had to run away from home.

And then 250 years of nekkid Dichen building her sex empire.

Wait.  Why don't we want this to be linear again?

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 15:43:12 -0500
On 2/9/2018 3:29 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <p5ktdg$bpq$2@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/9/2018 1:37 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> Ob and I have a long detailed discussion about it over on
>>> What Did You Watch? 2018-02-07 (Wednesday)
>>>
>>>     I wanted to like this
>>>
>>> It actually makes me want to read the book, because I know the TV writer
>>> to be an incompetent fool, and the redits say she tossed the book anyway.
>>>
>>>    It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
>>>
>>> Ob and I are discussing that too.  :)  Please join in!

>>> In that they were ripping off Larry Niven with every keystroke?  Yep.
>>>
>>>      That show got way

>>> I don't think it was that non linear, and probably couldn't be much more
>>> linear given that it covered hundreds of years.
>>
>> True.  If it was linear storytelling then we would have had a first
>> season about abused little kids that had to run away from home.
>
> And then 250 years of nekkid Dichen building her sex empire.

Season #2 would probably be the two siblings separated with Dichen as a
part of Renee's rebel army and Kinnaman as part of the Stronghold
military needlecasting from place to place to wipe out rebels.

Season #3 would be the two siblings together working for the rebels.

Season #4 would have Dichen building her clone army while Kinnman rested.

> Wait.  Why don't we want this to be linear again?

....because you'd have to wait until season #4 for the clone army.

From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Full headers:
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 15:51:19 -0500
On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 13:29:08 -0700, anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>In article <p5ktdg$bpq$2@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On 2/9/2018 1:37 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>> > Ob and I have a long detailed discussion about it over on
>> > What Did You Watch? 2018-02-07 (Wednesday)
>> >
>> >    I wanted to like this
>> >
>> > It actually makes me want to read the book, because I know the TV writer
>> > to be an incompetent fool, and the redits say she tossed the book anyway.
>> >
>> >   It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
>> >
>> > Ob and I are discussing that too.  :)  Please join in!

>> > In that they were ripping off Larry Niven with every keystroke?  Yep.
>> >
>> >     That show got way

>> > I don't think it was that non linear, and probably couldn't be much more
>> > linear given that it covered hundreds of years.
>>
>> True.  If it was linear storytelling then we would have had a first
>> season about abused little kids that had to run away from home.
>
>And then 250 years of nekkid Dichen building her sex empire.
>
>Wait.  Why don't we want this to be linear again?

Cuz a few minutes of screen time showing their childhood equals turning it
in to a whole season?   God, damn. I'm glad i missed that WDYW discussion
about it.

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 16:47:24 -0600
On 2/9/18 11:21 AM, EGK wrote:
> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
> the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
> kept repeating it over and over.
>
> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
> rushed.
>
> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>

I don't know if anything would make it better.  It's like a really bad
version of Blade Runner, with some other body swapping sci fi movies
mixed in.  I watched the first five eps. but I was looking at my phone
more than the TV screen for several of them.  The main guy is played by
a Swedish actor named Joel Kinnaman who I saw in a couple of Swedish
movies called "Easy Money" and he was really good.  He's really good in
this show too but the show itself just sucks.  Plus it's got James
Purefoy playing more or less the same character he played in "The
Following" which I *really* hated.  I don't think there is much to be
done to make AC any better.

From: Connor <cshannon1898@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 21:07:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Connor <cshannon1898@gmail.com>
On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 2:47:28 PM UTC-8, trotsky wrote:
> On 2/9/18 11:21 AM, EGK wrote:
> > Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
> > show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
> > the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
> > The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
> > kept repeating it over and over.
> >
> > It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
> > better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
> > Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
> > rushed.
> >
> > I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
> > but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
> > and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>

> I don't know if anything would make it better.  It's like a really bad
> version of Blade Runner, with some other body swapping sci fi movies
> mixed in.  I watched the first five eps. but I was looking at my phone
> more than the TV screen for several of them.  The main guy is played by
> a Swedish actor named Joel Kinnaman who I saw in a couple of Swedish
> movies called "Easy Money" and he was really good.  He's really good in
> this show too but the show itself just sucks.  Plus it's got James
> Purefoy playing more or less the same character he played in "The
> Following" which I *really* hated.  I don't think there is much to be
> done to make AC any better.

Wow you never saw The Killing???

From: Ed Stasiak <estasiak@att.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 19:51:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Ed Stasiak <estasiak@att.net>

> EGK
>
> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?

I’m up to E03 but I’ll agree, it’s kinda confusing and I’ve heard
there are a lot of changes from the book.

From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 16:57:00 +1300
On 2018-02-10 03:51:05 +0000, Ed Stasiak said:

>> EGK
>>
>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?
>
> I'm up to E03 but I'll agree, it's kinda confusing and I've heard
> there are a lot of changes from the book.

There always is. Hollyweird just has to insist on chaging things,
usualy just for the sake of it because some over-egoed and over-paid
producer / director thinks they know better than the person who had the
actual creative talent to make the original.  :-\

From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Full headers:
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 13:22:36 -0500

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 11:35:28 -0700

From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Full headers:
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 14:29:26 -0500

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 13:31:16 -0700
In article<kchu7dt2hkl3h6los6lgdmqvh7upvaq8kt@4ax.com>,
 EGK<me@privacy.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 11:35:28 -0700, anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>

> >I posted a link to a reddit just about the changes from the book.
> >Apparently this was another "Leata can't actually read so she had an
> >assistant give her a verbal outline of the cliff's notes of the book"
> >project.
> >
> >> I just did a quick google to look to see what changes had been made and
> >> one
> >> of the big ones is the book concentrates almost completely on Kovacs and
> >> the
> >> TV show has much larger roles for the women characters.
> >
> >And according to Leata "people of color" because she knows how it feels
> >to be discriminated against as a "person of color" herself because she's
> >... Greek.
>
> LOL  I honestly didn't know who "Laeta" was.  I think Lachman was the only
> actress in the show I even recognized..

Oh, she's the hack writer who destroyed BABES OF PREY and MORONIC WOMAN.

From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Full headers:
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 15:37:36 -0500

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 14:32:02 -0700

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 18:07:37 -0500
On 2/10/2018 1:35 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> Oh, this is fun:
>
> "Before we continue, be warned, this is for all of the people who binged
> the series this weekend ­ major spoilers for episode four of Altered
> Carbon follow, so don't read on unless you've watched it!"
>
> http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/altered-carbon/feature/a849245/altered...
> n-deleted-scene-netflix-cut-shocking/

The showrunner, Laeta Kalogridis, is correct about the silliness of that
bit in the book and about the fact that it wouldn't work visually on
screen because the person being tortured and the person fighting back
wouldn't match the visual bond we had with the character.

From: bob (but not that bob) <nobody@nowhere.net>
Full headers:
From: "bob (but not that bob)" <nobody@nowhere.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 03:18:57 -0500
EGK wrote:

> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
> the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
> kept repeating it over and over.
>
> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
> rushed.
>
> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>

I can't get myself to buy into the concept that the cortical stack is
anything more than a "copy" of the consciousness of a guy who's been
dead for a couple hundred years, and is still stone cold dead.

Can a future that can't even make a flying car autonomous enough to
avoid clumsy crash-landings really be this advanced?

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 08:21:16 -0700
In article<5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net>,
 "bob (but not that bob)"<nobody@nowhere.net> wrote:

> EGK wrote:
> >
> > Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
> > show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
> > the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
> > The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
> > kept repeating it over and over.
> >
> > It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
> > better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
> > Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
> > rushed.
> >
> > I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
> > but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
> > and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>

> I can't get myself to buy into the concept that the cortical stack is
> anything more than a "copy" of the consciousness of a guy who's been
> dead for a couple hundred years, and is still stone cold dead.
>
> Can a future that can't even make a flying car autonomous enough to
> avoid clumsy crash-landings really be this advanced?

Yeah, what kind of idiots have flying cars that don't have autopilots?

From: Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>
From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 15:36:23 -0000 (UTC)
anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>In article<5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net>,
> "bob (but not that bob)"<nobody@nowhere.net> wrote:
>
>> EGK wrote:
>> >
>> > Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
>> > show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
>> > the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
>> > The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>> > kept repeating it over and over.
>> >
>> > It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
>> > better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
>> > Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>> > rushed.
>> >
>> > I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
>> > but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
>> > and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>>

>> I can't get myself to buy into the concept that the cortical stack is
>> anything more than a "copy" of the consciousness of a guy who's been
>> dead for a couple hundred years, and is still stone cold dead.
>>
>> Can a future that can't even make a flying car autonomous enough to
>> avoid clumsy crash-landings really be this advanced?
>
>Yeah, what kind of idiots have flying cars that don't have autopilots?

They were all in a bar getting drunk.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 10:35:03 -0700
In article <p5pntm$c8k$3@dont-email.me>,
 "Adam H. Kerman"<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> >In article<5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net>,

> >> I can't get myself to buy into the concept that the cortical stack is
> >> anything more than a "copy" of the consciousness of a guy who's been
> >> dead for a couple hundred years, and is still stone cold dead.
> >>
> >> Can a future that can't even make a flying car autonomous enough to
> >> avoid clumsy crash-landings really be this advanced?
> >
> >Yeah, what kind of idiots have flying cars that don't have autopilots?
>
> They were all in a bar getting drunk.

heh

From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 10:52:37 +1300
On 2018-02-11 15:21:16 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
> In article<5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net>,
>  "bob (but not that bob)"<nobody@nowhere.net> wrote:
>> EGK wrote:
>>>
>>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
>>> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
>>> the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
>>> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>>> kept repeating it over and over.
>>>
>>> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
>>> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
>>> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>>> rushed.
>>>
>>> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
>>> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
>>> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>>

>> I can't get myself to buy into the concept that the cortical stack is
>> anything more than a "copy" of the consciousness of a guy who's been
>> dead for a couple hundred years, and is still stone cold dead.
>>
>> Can a future that can't even make a flying car autonomous enough to
>> avoid clumsy crash-landings really be this advanced?
>
> Yeah, what kind of idiots have flying cars that don't have autopilots?

Even George Jetson had auto-pilot.  :-)

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 06:06:39 -0600
On 2/11/18 3:52 PM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2018-02-11 15:21:16 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>> In article<5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net>,

>>> I can't get myself to buy into the concept that the cortical stack is
>>> anything more than a "copy" of the consciousness of a guy who's been
>>> dead for a couple hundred years, and is still stone cold dead.
>>>
>>> Can a future that can't even make a flying car autonomous enough to
>>> avoid clumsy crash-landings really be this advanced?
>>
>> Yeah, what kind of idiots have flying cars that don't have autopilots?
>
> Even George Jetson had auto-pilot.  :-)

George Jetson might have saved Altered Carbon had he shown up.

Next <
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 11:12:50 -0500
On 2/11/2018 3:18 AM, bob (but not that bob) wrote:
> EGK wrote:
>>
>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
>> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
>> the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
>> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>> kept repeating it over and over.
>>
>> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
>> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
>> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>> rushed.
>>
>> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
>> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
>> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>

> I can't get myself to buy into the concept that the cortical stack is
> anything more than a "copy" of the consciousness of a guy who's been
> dead for a couple hundred years, and is still stone cold dead.
>
> Can a future that can't even make a flying car autonomous enough to
> avoid clumsy crash-landings really be this advanced?

Despite all the talk of digitization, their ability to make a cortical
stack doesn't necessarily imply that they understand it.  It may be more
a discovery than an invention.

--

   YOUR taste at work...