> Prev
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Subject: Altered Carbon
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 12:21:55 -0500
Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
kept repeating it over and over.

It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
rushed.

I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: Re: Altered Carbon
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 12:58:36 -0500
On 2/9/2018 12:21 PM, EGK wrote:
> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
> the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
> kept repeating it over and over.
>
> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
> rushed.
>
> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>

It was a handsome production -- enough so that I'll likely tune in for a
Season #2.  But, yes, the narrative structure, as well as the nature of
the premise, were pretty "demanding".  Also, for that much work, I'd
have liked a deeper plot with more insights... and fewer spin-kicks...

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 16:51:12 -0600
On 2/9/18 11:58 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 2/9/2018 12:21 PM, EGK wrote:
>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like
>> this
>> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to
>> read
>> the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most
>> part.
>> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>> kept repeating it over and over.
>>
>> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
>> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for
>> Altered
>> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>> rushed.
>>
>> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
>> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much
>> sense
>> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>
> It was a handsome production -- enough so that I'll likely tune in for a
> Season #2.  But, yes, the narrative structure, as well as the nature of
> the premise, were pretty "demanding".  Also, for that much work, I'd
> have liked a deeper plot with more insights... and fewer spin-kicks...

I didn't find it demanding as much as I feel in this day and age you
better be very clever with your use of flashbacks, which they weren't.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 18:35:48 -0500
On 2/9/2018 5:51 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 2/9/18 11:58 AM, moviePig wrote:
>> On 2/9/2018 12:21 PM, EGK wrote:
>>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like
>>> this
>>> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to
>>> read
>>> the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most
>>> part.
>>> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>>> kept repeating it over and over.
>>>
>>> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
>>> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for
>>> Altered
>>> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>>> rushed.
>>>
>>> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear
>>> storyline
>>> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much
>>> sense
>>> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>>
>> It was a handsome production -- enough so that I'll likely tune in for
>> a Season #2.  But, yes, the narrative structure, as well as the nature
>> of the premise, were pretty "demanding".  Also, for that much work,
>> I'd have liked a deeper plot with more insights... and fewer
>> spin-kicks...
>

> I didn't find it demanding as much as I feel in this day and age you
> better be very clever with your use of flashbacks, which they weren't.

E.g., you could forgo a profusion of *both* flashbacks and backstories.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 03:53:34 -0600
On 2/9/18 5:35 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 2/9/2018 5:51 PM, trotsky wrote:

>>> It was a handsome production -- enough so that I'll likely tune in
>>> for a Season #2.  But, yes, the narrative structure, as well as the
>>> nature of the premise, were pretty "demanding".  Also, for that much
>>> work, I'd have liked a deeper plot with more insights... and fewer
>>> spin-kicks...
>>

>> I didn't find it demanding as much as I feel in this day and age you
>> better be very clever with your use of flashbacks, which they weren't.
>
> E.g., you could forgo a profusion of *both* flashbacks and backstories.

I could, but if they were told in a more interesting way it would be
fine.  The part with the kids was insipid, and the part with whoever
that woman was who was his mentor was hackneyed.  I found it really hard
to stay interested.  YMMV.  If you liked it that's your personal
preference, I'm not taking umbrage with that.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 10:32:17 -0500
On 2/10/2018 4:53 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 2/9/18 5:35 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>> I didn't find it demanding as much as I feel in this day and age you
>>> better be very clever with your use of flashbacks, which they weren't.
>>
>> E.g., you could forgo a profusion of *both* flashbacks and backstories.
>>

> I could, but if they were told in a more interesting way it would be
> fine.  The part with the kids was insipid, and the part with whoever
> that woman was who was his mentor was hackneyed.  I found it really hard
> to stay interested.  YMMV.  If you liked it that's your personal
> preference, I'm not taking umbrage with that.

No, I liked the look & feel.  The particulars, not so much.  It seemed
to me always on the edge of turning into something better.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid>
From: Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 12:35:45 -0500
moviePig wrote:
> On 2/10/2018 4:53 AM, trotsky wrote:

>>> E.g., you could forgo a profusion of *both* flashbacks and backstories.
>>>

>> I could, but if they were told in a more interesting way it would be
>> fine.  The part with the kids was insipid, and the part with whoever
>> that woman was who was his mentor was hackneyed.  I found it really
>> hard to stay interested.  YMMV.  If you liked it that's your personal
>> preference, I'm not taking umbrage with that.
>
> No, I liked the look & feel.  The particulars, not so much.  It seemed
> to me always on the edge of turning into something better.

Isn't that frustrating? I've had that reaction to shows before.

--Robin

From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Full headers:
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 13:17:35 -0500

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 17:33:03 -0500
On 2/10/2018 12:35 PM, Robin Miller wrote:
> moviePig wrote:

>>> I could, but if they were told in a more interesting way it would be
>>> fine.  The part with the kids was insipid, and the part with whoever
>>> that woman was who was his mentor was hackneyed.  I found it really
>>> hard to stay interested.  YMMV.  If you liked it that's your personal
>>> preference, I'm not taking umbrage with that.
>>
>> No, I liked the look & feel.  The particulars, not so much.  It seemed
>> to me always on the edge of turning into something better.
>
> Isn't that frustrating? I've had that reaction to shows before.

moviePig is correct about this series having the look and atmosphere of
something that should have been even better.  Just as with the Marvel
Netflix series, they lose some quality grounding every time characters
start using martial arts as plot.

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 14:16:53 -0600
On 2/10/2018 9:32 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 2/10/2018 4:53 AM, trotsky wrote:

>>> E.g., you could forgo a profusion of *both* flashbacks and backstories.
>>>

>> I could, but if they were told in a more interesting way it would be
>> fine.  The part with the kids was insipid, and the part with whoever
>> that woman was who was his mentor was hackneyed.  I found it really
>> hard to stay interested.  YMMV.  If you liked it that's your personal
>> preference, I'm not taking umbrage with that.
>
> No, I liked the look & feel.  The particulars, not so much.  It seemed
> to me always on the edge of turning into something better.

You didn't find it way too Blade Runner-ish?  I'd say the best thing
about it is the cast, in Joel Kinnaman and the lady who plays Ortega.
James Purefoy ruins every scene he's in.

---

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 11:37:17 -0700
In article<bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com>,
 EGK<me@privacy.net> wrote:

> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?

Ob and I have a long detailed discussion about it over on
What Did You Watch? 2018-02-07 (Wednesday)

  I wanted to like this
> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
> the book by the time it ended.

It actually makes me want to read the book, because I know the TV writer
to be an incompetent fool, and the redits say she tossed the book anyway.

 It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
> kept repeating it over and over.

Ob and I are discussing that too.  :)  Please join in!

> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.

In that they were ripping off Larry Niven with every keystroke?  Yep.

   That show got way
> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
> rushed.
>
> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>

I don't think it was that non linear, and probably couldn't be much more
linear given that it covered hundreds of years.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Full headers:
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 14:20:53 -0500
On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 11:37:17 -0700, anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>In article<bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com>,
> EGK<me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?
>
>Ob and I have a long detailed discussion about it over on
>What Did You Watch? 2018-02-07 (Wednesday)

Exactly why those What did you watch threads suck.  :)   I mostly avoid
those threads because of the constant spoilers.

>  I wanted to like this
>> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
>> the book by the time it ended.
>
>It actually makes me want to read the book, because I know the TV writer
>to be an incompetent fool, and the redits say she tossed the book anyway.
>
> It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
>> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>> kept repeating it over and over.
>
>Ob and I are discussing that too.  :)  Please join in!
>
>> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.
>
>In that they were ripping off Larry Niven with every keystroke?  Yep.
>
>   That show got way
>> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
>> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>> rushed.
>>
>> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
>> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
>> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>
>I don't think it was that non linear, and probably couldn't be much more
>linear given that it covered hundreds of years.

Really?  They had constant flashbacks to earlier times.   It wasn't till
episode 7 (I think) that they finally told the story of Quell and the
Envoys.

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 16:52:41 -0600
On 2/9/18 1:20 PM, EGK wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 11:37:17 -0700, anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> In article<bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com>,
>> EGK<me@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?
>>
>> Ob and I have a long detailed discussion about it over on
>> What Did You Watch? 2018-02-07 (Wednesday)
>
> Exactly why those What did you watch threads suck.  :)   I mostly avoid
> those threads because of the constant spoilers.
>
>>   I wanted to like this
>>> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
>>> the book by the time it ended.
>>
>> It actually makes me want to read the book, because I know the TV writer
>> to be an incompetent fool, and the redits say she tossed the book anyway.
>>
>> It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
>>> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>>> kept repeating it over and over.
>>
>> Ob and I are discussing that too.  :)  Please join in!
>>
>>> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.
>>
>> In that they were ripping off Larry Niven with every keystroke?  Yep.
>>
>>    That show got way
>>> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
>>> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>>> rushed.
>>>
>>> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
>>> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
>>> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>>
>> I don't think it was that non linear, and probably couldn't be much more
>> linear given that it covered hundreds of years.
>
> Really?  They had constant flashbacks to earlier times.   It wasn't till
> episode 7 (I think) that they finally told the story of Quell and the
> Envoys.

That would make a good name for a band.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 14:39:30 -0500
On 2/9/2018 1:37 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article<bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com>,
>   EGK<me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?
>
> Ob and I have a long detailed discussion about it over on
> What Did You Watch? 2018-02-07 (Wednesday)
>
>    I wanted to like this
>> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
>> the book by the time it ended.
>
> It actually makes me want to read the book, because I know the TV writer
> to be an incompetent fool, and the redits say she tossed the book anyway.
>
>   It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
>> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>> kept repeating it over and over.
>
> Ob and I are discussing that too.  :)  Please join in!
>
>> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.
>
> In that they were ripping off Larry Niven with every keystroke?  Yep.
>
>     That show got way
>> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
>> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>> rushed.
>>
>> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
>> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
>> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>
> I don't think it was that non linear, and probably couldn't be much more
> linear given that it covered hundreds of years.

True.  If it was linear storytelling then we would have had a first
season about abused little kids that had to run away from home.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 13:29:08 -0700
In article <p5ktdg$bpq$2@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 2/9/2018 1:37 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article<bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com>,
> >   EGK<me@privacy.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?
> >
> > Ob and I have a long detailed discussion about it over on
> > What Did You Watch? 2018-02-07 (Wednesday)
> >
> >    I wanted to like this
> >> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
> >> the book by the time it ended.
> >
> > It actually makes me want to read the book, because I know the TV writer
> > to be an incompetent fool, and the redits say she tossed the book anyway.
> >
> >   It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
> >> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
> >> kept repeating it over and over.
> >
> > Ob and I are discussing that too.  :)  Please join in!
> >
> >> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.
> >
> > In that they were ripping off Larry Niven with every keystroke?  Yep.
> >
> >     That show got way
> >> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for
> >> Altered
> >> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
> >> rushed.
> >>
> >> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
> >> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
> >> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
> >
> > I don't think it was that non linear, and probably couldn't be much more
> > linear given that it covered hundreds of years.
>
> True.  If it was linear storytelling then we would have had a first
> season about abused little kids that had to run away from home.

And then 250 years of nekkid Dichen building her sex empire.

Wait.  Why don't we want this to be linear again?

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 15:43:12 -0500
On 2/9/2018 3:29 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <p5ktdg$bpq$2@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/9/2018 1:37 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> Ob and I have a long detailed discussion about it over on
>>> What Did You Watch? 2018-02-07 (Wednesday)
>>>
>>>     I wanted to like this
>>>
>>> It actually makes me want to read the book, because I know the TV writer
>>> to be an incompetent fool, and the redits say she tossed the book anyway.
>>>
>>>    It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
>>>
>>> Ob and I are discussing that too.  :)  Please join in!

>>> In that they were ripping off Larry Niven with every keystroke?  Yep.
>>>
>>>      That show got way

>>> I don't think it was that non linear, and probably couldn't be much more
>>> linear given that it covered hundreds of years.
>>
>> True.  If it was linear storytelling then we would have had a first
>> season about abused little kids that had to run away from home.
>
> And then 250 years of nekkid Dichen building her sex empire.

Season #2 would probably be the two siblings separated with Dichen as a
part of Renee's rebel army and Kinnaman as part of the Stronghold
military needlecasting from place to place to wipe out rebels.

Season #3 would be the two siblings together working for the rebels.

Season #4 would have Dichen building her clone army while Kinnman rested.

> Wait.  Why don't we want this to be linear again?

....because you'd have to wait until season #4 for the clone army.

From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Full headers:
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 15:51:19 -0500
On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 13:29:08 -0700, anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>In article <p5ktdg$bpq$2@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On 2/9/2018 1:37 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>> > Ob and I have a long detailed discussion about it over on
>> > What Did You Watch? 2018-02-07 (Wednesday)
>> >
>> >    I wanted to like this
>> >
>> > It actually makes me want to read the book, because I know the TV writer
>> > to be an incompetent fool, and the redits say she tossed the book anyway.
>> >
>> >   It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
>> >
>> > Ob and I are discussing that too.  :)  Please join in!

>> > In that they were ripping off Larry Niven with every keystroke?  Yep.
>> >
>> >     That show got way

>> > I don't think it was that non linear, and probably couldn't be much more
>> > linear given that it covered hundreds of years.
>>
>> True.  If it was linear storytelling then we would have had a first
>> season about abused little kids that had to run away from home.
>
>And then 250 years of nekkid Dichen building her sex empire.
>
>Wait.  Why don't we want this to be linear again?

Cuz a few minutes of screen time showing their childhood equals turning it
in to a whole season?   God, damn. I'm glad i missed that WDYW discussion
about it.

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 16:47:24 -0600
On 2/9/18 11:21 AM, EGK wrote:
> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
> the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
> kept repeating it over and over.
>
> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
> rushed.
>
> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>

I don't know if anything would make it better.  It's like a really bad
version of Blade Runner, with some other body swapping sci fi movies
mixed in.  I watched the first five eps. but I was looking at my phone
more than the TV screen for several of them.  The main guy is played by
a Swedish actor named Joel Kinnaman who I saw in a couple of Swedish
movies called "Easy Money" and he was really good.  He's really good in
this show too but the show itself just sucks.  Plus it's got James
Purefoy playing more or less the same character he played in "The
Following" which I *really* hated.  I don't think there is much to be
done to make AC any better.

From: Connor <cshannon1898@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 21:07:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Connor <cshannon1898@gmail.com>
On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 2:47:28 PM UTC-8, trotsky wrote:
> On 2/9/18 11:21 AM, EGK wrote:
> > Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
> > show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
> > the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
> > The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
> > kept repeating it over and over.
> >
> > It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
> > better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
> > Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
> > rushed.
> >
> > I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
> > but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
> > and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>

> I don't know if anything would make it better.  It's like a really bad
> version of Blade Runner, with some other body swapping sci fi movies
> mixed in.  I watched the first five eps. but I was looking at my phone
> more than the TV screen for several of them.  The main guy is played by
> a Swedish actor named Joel Kinnaman who I saw in a couple of Swedish
> movies called "Easy Money" and he was really good.  He's really good in
> this show too but the show itself just sucks.  Plus it's got James
> Purefoy playing more or less the same character he played in "The
> Following" which I *really* hated.  I don't think there is much to be
> done to make AC any better.

Wow you never saw The Killing???

From: Ed Stasiak <estasiak@att.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 19:51:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Ed Stasiak <estasiak@att.net>

> EGK
>
> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?

I’m up to E03 but I’ll agree, it’s kinda confusing and I’ve heard
there are a lot of changes from the book.

From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 16:57:00 +1300
On 2018-02-10 03:51:05 +0000, Ed Stasiak said:

>> EGK
>>
>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?
>
> I'm up to E03 but I'll agree, it's kinda confusing and I've heard
> there are a lot of changes from the book.

There always is. Hollyweird just has to insist on chaging things,
usualy just for the sake of it because some over-egoed and over-paid
producer / director thinks they know better than the person who had the
actual creative talent to make the original.  :-\

From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Full headers:
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 13:22:36 -0500

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 11:35:28 -0700

From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Full headers:
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 14:29:26 -0500

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 13:31:16 -0700
In article<kchu7dt2hkl3h6los6lgdmqvh7upvaq8kt@4ax.com>,
 EGK<me@privacy.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 11:35:28 -0700, anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>

> >I posted a link to a reddit just about the changes from the book.
> >Apparently this was another "Leata can't actually read so she had an
> >assistant give her a verbal outline of the cliff's notes of the book"
> >project.
> >
> >> I just did a quick google to look to see what changes had been made and
> >> one
> >> of the big ones is the book concentrates almost completely on Kovacs and
> >> the
> >> TV show has much larger roles for the women characters.
> >
> >And according to Leata "people of color" because she knows how it feels
> >to be discriminated against as a "person of color" herself because she's
> >... Greek.
>
> LOL  I honestly didn't know who "Laeta" was.  I think Lachman was the only
> actress in the show I even recognized..

Oh, she's the hack writer who destroyed BABES OF PREY and MORONIC WOMAN.

From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Full headers:
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 15:37:36 -0500

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 14:32:02 -0700

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 18:07:37 -0500
On 2/10/2018 1:35 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> Oh, this is fun:
>
> "Before we continue, be warned, this is for all of the people who binged
> the series this weekend ­ major spoilers for episode four of Altered
> Carbon follow, so don't read on unless you've watched it!"
>
> http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/altered-carbon/feature/a849245/altered...
> n-deleted-scene-netflix-cut-shocking/

The showrunner, Laeta Kalogridis, is correct about the silliness of that
bit in the book and about the fact that it wouldn't work visually on
screen because the person being tortured and the person fighting back
wouldn't match the visual bond we had with the character.

From: bob (but not that bob) <nobody@nowhere.net>
Full headers:
From: "bob (but not that bob)" <nobody@nowhere.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 03:18:57 -0500
EGK wrote:

> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
> the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
> kept repeating it over and over.
>
> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
> rushed.
>
> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>

I can't get myself to buy into the concept that the cortical stack is
anything more than a "copy" of the consciousness of a guy who's been
dead for a couple hundred years, and is still stone cold dead.

Can a future that can't even make a flying car autonomous enough to
avoid clumsy crash-landings really be this advanced?

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 08:21:16 -0700
In article<5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net>,
 "bob (but not that bob)"<nobody@nowhere.net> wrote:

> EGK wrote:
> >
> > Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
> > show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
> > the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
> > The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
> > kept repeating it over and over.
> >
> > It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
> > better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
> > Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
> > rushed.
> >
> > I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
> > but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
> > and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>

> I can't get myself to buy into the concept that the cortical stack is
> anything more than a "copy" of the consciousness of a guy who's been
> dead for a couple hundred years, and is still stone cold dead.
>
> Can a future that can't even make a flying car autonomous enough to
> avoid clumsy crash-landings really be this advanced?

Yeah, what kind of idiots have flying cars that don't have autopilots?

From: Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>
From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 15:36:23 -0000 (UTC)
anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>In article<5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net>,
> "bob (but not that bob)"<nobody@nowhere.net> wrote:
>
>> EGK wrote:
>> >
>> > Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
>> > show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
>> > the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
>> > The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>> > kept repeating it over and over.
>> >
>> > It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
>> > better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
>> > Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>> > rushed.
>> >
>> > I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
>> > but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
>> > and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>>

>> I can't get myself to buy into the concept that the cortical stack is
>> anything more than a "copy" of the consciousness of a guy who's been
>> dead for a couple hundred years, and is still stone cold dead.
>>
>> Can a future that can't even make a flying car autonomous enough to
>> avoid clumsy crash-landings really be this advanced?
>
>Yeah, what kind of idiots have flying cars that don't have autopilots?

They were all in a bar getting drunk.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 10:35:03 -0700
In article <p5pntm$c8k$3@dont-email.me>,
 "Adam H. Kerman"<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> >In article<5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net>,

> >> I can't get myself to buy into the concept that the cortical stack is
> >> anything more than a "copy" of the consciousness of a guy who's been
> >> dead for a couple hundred years, and is still stone cold dead.
> >>
> >> Can a future that can't even make a flying car autonomous enough to
> >> avoid clumsy crash-landings really be this advanced?
> >
> >Yeah, what kind of idiots have flying cars that don't have autopilots?
>
> They were all in a bar getting drunk.

heh

From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 10:52:37 +1300
On 2018-02-11 15:21:16 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
> In article<5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net>,
>  "bob (but not that bob)"<nobody@nowhere.net> wrote:
>> EGK wrote:
>>>
>>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
>>> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
>>> the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
>>> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>>> kept repeating it over and over.
>>>
>>> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
>>> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
>>> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>>> rushed.
>>>
>>> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
>>> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
>>> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>>

>> I can't get myself to buy into the concept that the cortical stack is
>> anything more than a "copy" of the consciousness of a guy who's been
>> dead for a couple hundred years, and is still stone cold dead.
>>
>> Can a future that can't even make a flying car autonomous enough to
>> avoid clumsy crash-landings really be this advanced?
>
> Yeah, what kind of idiots have flying cars that don't have autopilots?

Even George Jetson had auto-pilot.  :-)

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 06:06:39 -0600
On 2/11/18 3:52 PM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2018-02-11 15:21:16 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>> In article<5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net>,

>>> I can't get myself to buy into the concept that the cortical stack is
>>> anything more than a "copy" of the consciousness of a guy who's been
>>> dead for a couple hundred years, and is still stone cold dead.
>>>
>>> Can a future that can't even make a flying car autonomous enough to
>>> avoid clumsy crash-landings really be this advanced?
>>
>> Yeah, what kind of idiots have flying cars that don't have autopilots?
>
> Even George Jetson had auto-pilot.  :-)

George Jetson might have saved Altered Carbon had he shown up.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 11:12:50 -0500
On 2/11/2018 3:18 AM, bob (but not that bob) wrote:
> EGK wrote:
>>
>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like this
>> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
>> the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
>> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>> kept repeating it over and over.
>>
>> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
>> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
>> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>> rushed.
>>
>> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
>> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
>> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>

> I can't get myself to buy into the concept that the cortical stack is
> anything more than a "copy" of the consciousness of a guy who's been
> dead for a couple hundred years, and is still stone cold dead.
>
> Can a future that can't even make a flying car autonomous enough to
> avoid clumsy crash-landings really be this advanced?

Despite all the talk of digitization, their ability to make a cortical
stack doesn't necessarily imply that they understand it.  It may be more
a discovery than an invention.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 17:04:54 -0600
On 2/11/2018 10:12 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 2/11/2018 3:18 AM, bob (but not that bob) wrote:
>> EGK wrote:
>>>
>>> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?    I wanted to like
>>> this
>>> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to
>>> read
>>> the book by the time it ended.  It was a convoluted mess for the most
>>> part.
>>> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
>>> kept repeating it over and over.
>>>
>>> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.   That show got way
>>> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for
>>> Altered
>>> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
>>> rushed.
>>>
>>> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear
>>> storyline
>>> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much
>>> sense
>>> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>
>>

>> I can't get myself to buy into the concept that the cortical stack is
>> anything more than a "copy" of the consciousness of a guy who's been
>> dead for a couple hundred years, and is still stone cold dead.
>>
>> Can a future that can't even make a flying car autonomous enough to
>> avoid clumsy crash-landings really be this advanced?
>
> Despite all the talk of digitization, their ability to make a cortical
> stack doesn't necessarily imply that they understand it.  It may be more
> a discovery than an invention.

I'm still working on Ep. 9 (thought it was 10 but I should be so lucky)
and I'm having a hard time with it.  Contrary to some comments in the
thread, I've had no real problem following the story through the
flashbacks, I think all the actors are just fine in their roles, I like
the look of the show, and I think the basic premise SHOULD make for one
terrific science fiction series.

I mean, think about it ... what would society become if our lives were
no longer dependent on the well-being of our bodies? How would our
perception of ourselves and others change if we could die but not, you
know, be permanently dead? It's a fascinating thought experiment, I
think -- one worth exploring.

My problem is that the series takes the premise down the path of almost
total depravity.  I don't find fault with that line of reasoning, I just
find I don't want to be in that world.  I'm like poor Vernon in his
spiffy general's uniform encountering debauchery so shocking he's
immobile. Yeah, immobile, because that's where I stopped the show last
night. I was as put off by what I was seeing as he was, and I'd had
enough for a while. I'm pretty sure he'll still be standing there with
his mouth open when I start things up again tonight. As the show has
gone along I find I'm doing this more and more often -- stopping things
so I can catch my disgusted breath.

At this point I've gone so far I feel I have to see it through to the
end, but I swear it's become a slog. I can't complain about the internal
logic of the show, or not much anyway.  (How do AI bullets fired from am
AI hotel's ceiling-mounted AI machine guns tear through flesh that isn't
AI?  Answer me that. Nah--don't bother as I don't really care.)  I mean
the path the story has taken is reasonable if you like that kind of
thing.  But I don't, not even if you throw in a room full of lethal
naked female killer clones, not even then.

I'll check back into this discussion when I'm done.  Maybe things will
get really great here at the end and I'll be so happy I watched it all.
Maybe.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 18:28:17 -0500
On 2/23/2018 6:04 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
> On 2/11/2018 10:12 AM, moviePig wrote:

>>> I can't get myself to buy into the concept that the cortical stack is
>>> anything more than a "copy" of the consciousness of a guy who's been
>>> dead for a couple hundred years, and is still stone cold dead.
>>>
>>> Can a future that can't even make a flying car autonomous enough to
>>> avoid clumsy crash-landings really be this advanced?
>>
>> Despite all the talk of digitization, their ability to make a cortical
>> stack doesn't necessarily imply that they understand it.  It may be
>> more a discovery than an invention.

They discovered the 'metal' that made it possible, but it was left open
to interpretation as to whether the technology was discovered or
invented by humans.  Of course, by that point they had already mastered
interstellar travel.

> I'm still working on Ep. 9 (thought it was 10 but I should be so lucky)
> and I'm having a hard time with it.  Contrary to some comments in the
> thread, I've had no real problem following the story through the
> flashbacks, I think all the actors are just fine in their roles, I like
> the look of the show, and I think the basic premise SHOULD make for one
> terrific science fiction series.

Agreed...and while I enjoyed the show it should have been even better.

> I mean, think about it ... what would society become if our lives were
> no longer dependent on the well-being of our bodies? How would our
> perception of ourselves and others change if we could die but not, you
> know, be permanently dead? It's a fascinating thought experiment, I
> think -- one worth exploring.
>
> My problem is that the series takes the premise down the path of almost
> total depravity.

Sci-fi is often about taking a social issue premise to its extreme.
There are  'thrill seekers' now...just imagine if they didn't have any
fear of death at all.

> I don't find fault with that line of reasoning, I just
> find I don't want to be in that world.

So then, NeoCatholic it is.

> I'm like poor Vernon in his
> spiffy general's uniform encountering debauchery so shocking he's
> immobile. Yeah, immobile, because that's where I stopped the show last
> night. I was as put off by what I was seeing as he was, and I'd had
> enough for a while. I'm pretty sure he'll still be standing there with
> his mouth open when I start things up again tonight. As the show has
> gone along I find I'm doing this more and more often -- stopping things
> so I can catch my disgusted breath.

If you made it passed the first episode with the white tiger buffet table...

> At this point I've gone so far I feel I have to see it through to the
> end, but I swear it's become a slog. I can't complain about the internal
> logic of the show, or not much anyway.  (How do AI bullets fired from am
> AI hotel's ceiling-mounted AI machine guns tear through flesh that isn't
> AI?  Answer me that.

I don't think the guns/bullets were AI, just the operator.  The floors,
doors, etc... were conventional equipment so that humans could interface
with the hotel as a normal establishment.

> Nah--don't bother as I don't really care.)  I mean
> the path the story has taken is reasonable if you like that kind of
> thing.  But I don't, not even if you throw in a room full of lethal
> naked female killer clones, not even then.

I saw an interview a couple days ago where she said it was a bunch of
different women that looked like her...and she, at least, was wearing a
merkin.

> I'll check back into this discussion when I'm done.  Maybe things will
> get really great here at the end and I'll be so happy I watched it all.
> Maybe.

Hopefully it didn't disappoint you too much with the end game.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 18:03:08 -0700
In article <p6q82h$375$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
wrote:

> I saw an interview a couple days ago where she said it was a bunch of
> different women that looked like her...and she, at least, was wearing a
> merkin.

Speaking as a 'merkin, I'd be happy to have her wear me, and I like her
nepals too.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 23:08:12 -0500
On 2/23/2018 8:03 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <p6q82h$375$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I saw an interview a couple days ago where she said it was a bunch of
>> different women that looked like her...and she, at least, was wearing a
>> merkin.
>
> Speaking as a 'merkin,

Arizona was never part of the south, really, so you don't quite get to
use that accent.

> I'd be happy to have her wear me, and I like her
> nepals too.

Are you sure it isn't the dark circles around the nepals?  <--- a
courtroom topic on the episode of RAKE I watched today.

From: David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
From: David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 11:04:50 +1100
In article<anim8rfsk-04CA5F.18030823022018@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk@cox.net says...

> In article <p6q82h$375$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I saw an interview a couple days ago where she said it was a bunch of
> > different women that looked like her...and she, at least, was wearing a
> > merkin.
>
> Speaking as a 'merkin, I'd be happy to have her wear me, and I like her
> nepals too.

I don't know the "she" being discussed here,
but I have only watched the first 2 episodes so far.

This is sexy show!!,
which I was not expecting.

I wouldn't mind waking up in a new, younger, better body!

We don't know much about the personality of the original Asian character,
but is it consistent with the now Caucasian character?

--
David Barnett

From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Full headers:
From: EGK <me@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 20:15:34 -0500
On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 11:04:50 +1100, David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
wrote:

>In article<anim8rfsk-04CA5F.18030823022018@news.easynews.com>,
>anim8rfsk@cox.net says...
>>
>> In article <p6q82h$375$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I saw an interview a couple days ago where she said it was a bunch of
>> > different women that looked like her...and she, at least, was wearing a
>> > merkin.
>>
>> Speaking as a 'merkin, I'd be happy to have her wear me, and I like her
>> nepals too.
>
>I don't know the "she" being discussed here,
>but I have only watched the first 2 episodes so far.
>
>This is sexy show!!,
>which I was not expecting.
>
>I wouldn't mind waking up in a new, younger, better body!

I'm not sure how to take that, David.  :D

From: David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
Full headers:
From: David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 08:33:26 +1100
In article<7tn69dpdsaidf2i6ev7dkuthfo6dque65g@4ax.com>, me@privacy.net
says...

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 11:04:50 +1100, David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
> wrote:
>
> >In article<anim8rfsk-04CA5F.18030823022018@news.easynews.com>,
> >anim8rfsk@cox.net says...

> >> Speaking as a 'merkin, I'd be happy to have her wear me, and I like her
> >> nepals too.
> >
> >I don't know the "she" being discussed here,
> >but I have only watched the first 2 episodes so far.
> >
> >This is sexy show!!,
> >which I was not expecting.
> >
> >I wouldn't mind waking up in a new, younger, better body!
>
> I'm not sure how to take that, David.  :D

Well, I am 88 with umpteen ailments.

--
David Barnett

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 14:41:03 -0700
In article<MPG.34ff2835333524b9c4@news.eternal-september.org>,
 David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> In article<7tn69dpdsaidf2i6ev7dkuthfo6dque65g@4ax.com>, me@privacy.net
> says...
> >
> > On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 11:04:50 +1100, David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >In article<anim8rfsk-04CA5F.18030823022018@news.easynews.com>,
> > >anim8rfsk@cox.net says...

> > >I don't know the "she" being discussed here,
> > >but I have only watched the first 2 episodes so far.
> > >
> > >This is sexy show!!,
> > >which I was not expecting.
> > >
> > >I wouldn't mind waking up in a new, younger, better body!
> >
> > I'm not sure how to take that, David.  :D
>
> Well, I am 88 with umpteen ailments.

:(

From: David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
From: David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 09:00:14 +1100
References: <bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com> <5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net> <9YZfC.34656$UK7.17190@fx06.iad> <A4idnTYF4NKLAw3HnZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <p6q82h$375$1@dont-email.me> <anim8rfsk-04CA5F.18030823022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.34fdf9feb0f355c99bf@news.eternal-september.org> <7tn69dpdsaidf2i6ev7dkuthfo6dque65g@4ax.com> <MPG.34ff2835333524b9c4@news.eternal-september.org> <anim8rfsk-803C91.14410326022018@news.easynews.com>
In article<anim8rfsk-803C91.14410326022018@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk@cox.net says...

> In article<MPG.34ff2835333524b9c4@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> > In article<7tn69dpdsaidf2i6ev7dkuthfo6dque65g@4ax.com>, me@privacy.net
> > says...

> > > I'm not sure how to take that, David.  :D
> >
> > Well, I am 88 with umpteen ailments.
>
> :(

Thanks for your commiseration.

--
David Barnett

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com> <5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net> <9YZfC.34656$UK7.17190@fx06.iad> <A4idnTYF4NKLAw3HnZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <p6q82h$375$1@dont-email.me> <anim8rfsk-04CA5F.18030823022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.34fdf9feb0f355c99bf@news.eternal-september.org> <7tn69dpdsaidf2i6ev7dkuthfo6dque65g@4ax.com> <MPG.34ff2835333524b9c4@news.eternal-september.org> <anim8rfsk-803C91.14410326022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.34ff2e7ddcdb37279c7@news.eternal-september.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 15:20:06 -0700
In article<MPG.34ff2e7ddcdb37279c7@news.eternal-september.org>,
 David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> In article<anim8rfsk-803C91.14410326022018@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk@cox.net says...
> >
> > In article<MPG.34ff2835333524b9c4@news.eternal-september.org>,
> >  David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > > In article<7tn69dpdsaidf2i6ev7dkuthfo6dque65g@4ax.com>, me@privacy.net
> > > says...

> > > Well, I am 88 with umpteen ailments.
> >
> > :(
>
> Thanks for your commiseration.

I want you to feel good and walk to your club and stone grill lovely
meats and enjoy your cruises!

From: David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
Full headers:
From: David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 08:42:08 +1100
References: <bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com> <5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net> <9YZfC.34656$UK7.17190@fx06.iad> <A4idnTYF4NKLAw3HnZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <p6q82h$375$1@dont-email.me> <anim8rfsk-04CA5F.18030823022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.34fdf9feb0f355c99bf@news.eternal-september.org> <7tn69dpdsaidf2i6ev7dkuthfo6dque65g@4ax.com> <MPG.34ff2835333524b9c4@news.eternal-september.org> <anim8rfsk-803C91.14410326022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.34ff2e7ddcdb37279c7@news.eternal-september.org> <anim8rfsk-2CA51E.15200626022018@news.easynews.com>
In article<anim8rfsk-2CA51E.15200626022018@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk@cox.net says...

> In article<MPG.34ff2e7ddcdb37279c7@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> > In article<anim8rfsk-803C91.14410326022018@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rfsk@cox.net says...

> > > :(
> >
> > Thanks for your commiseration.
>
> I want you to feel good and walk to your club and stone grill lovely
> meats and enjoy your cruises!

Tonight!
Too far to walk; walk from the parking area to the club.

--
David Barnett

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com> <5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net> <9YZfC.34656$UK7.17190@fx06.iad> <A4idnTYF4NKLAw3HnZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <p6q82h$375$1@dont-email.me> <anim8rfsk-04CA5F.18030823022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.34fdf9feb0f355c99bf@news.eternal-september.org> <7tn69dpdsaidf2i6ev7dkuthfo6dque65g@4ax.com> <MPG.34ff2835333524b9c4@news.eternal-september.org> <anim8rfsk-803C91.14410326022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.34ff2e7ddcdb37279c7@news.eternal-september.org> <anim8rfsk-2CA51E.15200626022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.35007bb7b6fcd6649c9@news.eternal-september.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 15:05:00 -0700
In article<MPG.35007bb7b6fcd6649c9@news.eternal-september.org>,
 David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> In article<anim8rfsk-2CA51E.15200626022018@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk@cox.net says...
> >
> > In article<MPG.34ff2e7ddcdb37279c7@news.eternal-september.org>,
> >  David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > > In article<anim8rfsk-803C91.14410326022018@news.easynews.com>,
> > > anim8rfsk@cox.net says...

> > > Thanks for your commiseration.
> >
> > I want you to feel good and walk to your club and stone grill lovely
> > meats and enjoy your cruises!
>
> Tonight!
> Too far to walk; walk from the parking area to the club.

Hey, that's farther than I walk most days.  :)

From: David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
From: David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 08:32:09 +1100
References: <bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com> <5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net> <9YZfC.34656$UK7.17190@fx06.iad> <A4idnTYF4NKLAw3HnZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <p6q82h$375$1@dont-email.me> <anim8rfsk-04CA5F.18030823022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.34fdf9feb0f355c99bf@news.eternal-september.org> <7tn69dpdsaidf2i6ev7dkuthfo6dque65g@4ax.com> <MPG.34ff2835333524b9c4@news.eternal-september.org> <anim8rfsk-803C91.14410326022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.34ff2e7ddcdb37279c7@news.eternal-september.org> <anim8rfsk-2CA51E.15200626022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.35007bb7b6fcd6649c9@news.eternal-september.org> <anim8rfsk-8BC94D.15050027022018@news.easynews.com>
In article<anim8rfsk-8BC94D.15050027022018@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk@cox.net says...

> In article<MPG.35007bb7b6fcd6649c9@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> > In article<anim8rfsk-2CA51E.15200626022018@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rfsk@cox.net says...

> > > I want you to feel good and walk to your club and stone grill lovely
> > > meats and enjoy your cruises!
> >
> > Tonight!
> > Too far to walk; walk from the parking area to the club.
>
> Hey, that's farther than I walk most days.  :)

It is only a short distance.
I can't walk too far these days either.

--
David Barnett

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com> <5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net> <9YZfC.34656$UK7.17190@fx06.iad> <A4idnTYF4NKLAw3HnZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <p6q82h$375$1@dont-email.me> <anim8rfsk-04CA5F.18030823022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.34fdf9feb0f355c99bf@news.eternal-september.org> <7tn69dpdsaidf2i6ev7dkuthfo6dque65g@4ax.com> <MPG.34ff2835333524b9c4@news.eternal-september.org> <anim8rfsk-803C91.14410326022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.34ff2e7ddcdb37279c7@news.eternal-september.org> <anim8rfsk-2CA51E.15200626022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.35007bb7b6fcd6649c9@news.eternal-september.org> <anim8rfsk-8BC94D.15050027022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.3501cae372c542e69cf@news.eternal-september.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 15:33:14 -0700
In article<MPG.3501cae372c542e69cf@news.eternal-september.org>,
 David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> In article<anim8rfsk-8BC94D.15050027022018@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk@cox.net says...
> >
> > In article<MPG.35007bb7b6fcd6649c9@news.eternal-september.org>,
> >  David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > > In article<anim8rfsk-2CA51E.15200626022018@news.easynews.com>,
> > > anim8rfsk@cox.net says...

> > > Tonight!
> > > Too far to walk; walk from the parking area to the club.
> >
> > Hey, that's farther than I walk most days.  :)
>
> It is only a short distance.
> I can't walk too far these days either.

I'm sorry to hear it, and hope your family can go on taking you as long
as you enjoy it!

From: David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
Full headers:
From: David Barnett <dbar3518@bigpond.net.au>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2018 08:22:38 +1100
References: <bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com> <5A7FFC71.28EF@nowhere.net> <9YZfC.34656$UK7.17190@fx06.iad> <A4idnTYF4NKLAw3HnZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <p6q82h$375$1@dont-email.me> <anim8rfsk-04CA5F.18030823022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.34fdf9feb0f355c99bf@news.eternal-september.org> <7tn69dpdsaidf2i6ev7dkuthfo6dque65g@4ax.com> <MPG.34ff2835333524b9c4@news.eternal-september.org> <anim8rfsk-803C91.14410326022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.34ff2e7ddcdb37279c7@news.eternal-september.org> <anim8rfsk-2CA51E.15200626022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.35007bb7b6fcd6649c9@news.eternal-september.org> <anim8rfsk-8BC94D.15050027022018@news.easynews.com> <MPG.3501cae372c542e69cf@news.eternal-september.org> <anim8rfsk-E91364.15331428022018@news.easynews.com>
In article<anim8rfsk-E91364.15331428022018@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk@cox.net says...

> In article<MPG.3501cae372c542e69cf@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  David Barnett<dbar3518@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> > In article<anim8rfsk-8BC94D.15050027022018@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rfsk@cox.net says...

> > > Hey, that's farther than I walk most days.  :)
> >
> > It is only a short distance.
> > I can't walk too far these days either.
>
> I'm sorry to hear it, and hope your family can go on taking you as long
> as you enjoy it!

I did enjoy my eye fillet SG on Wednesday night.

--
David Barnett