> Prev
From: David <dimlan17@yahoo.com>
Subject: FOX News Exec upset by diversity of U.S. Olympics team
From: David <dimlan17@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 12:47:10 -0500
https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/02/08/fox-news-executive-vp-r...

Fox News executive VP rails against diversity of US Olympians:
"Darker, Gayer, Different"

Fox News

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 14:44:33 -0500
On 2/9/2018 12:47 PM, David wrote:

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/02/08/fox-news-executive-vp-r...

> Fox News executive VP rails against diversity of US Olympians:
> "Darker, Gayer, Different"
>

> Fox News’ John Moody, who serves as the network’s executive vice
> president and an executive editor, criticized the diversity of Team
> USA in an op-ed a day before the 2018 Winter Olympics were scheduled
> to open in PyeongChang, South Korea.
>
> Moody decried the strides Team USA has made toward diversity of its
> athletes in a February 7 op-ed published on FoxNews.com. Though this
> is Team USA’s most diverse delegation of athletes ever, as The
> Washington Post reported, the U.S. Olympic Committee still has a lot
> of progress to make: Out of 243 athletes, two men are openly gay, “10
> are African American — 4 percent — and another 10 are Asian American.
> The rest, by and large, are white.” Moody suggested without basis that
> the focus on diversity may cost Team USA medals, and speculated that
> athletes were given spots on the team that they didn’t earn during
> their trials, because of their race. From Moody’s op-ed:

I can't wait to see what he has to say for the Summer Olympics.

From: mogulah <mogulah@hotmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 12:47:57 -0800 (PST)
From: mogulah@hotmail.com
On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 2:44:34 PM UTC-5, Obveeus wrote:
> On 2/9/2018 12:47 PM, David wrote:

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/02/08/fox-news-executive-vp-r...

> > Fox News executive VP rails against diversity of US Olympians:
> > "Darker, Gayer, Different"
> >
> > Fox News’ John Moody, who serves as the network’s executive vice
> > president and an executive editor, criticized the diversity of Team
> > USA in an op-ed a day before the 2018 Winter Olympics were scheduled
> > to open in PyeongChang, South Korea.
> >
> > Moody decried the strides Team USA has made toward diversity of its
> > athletes in a February 7 op-ed published on FoxNews.com. Though this
> > is Team USA’s most diverse delegation of athletes ever, as The
> > Washington Post reported, the U.S. Olympic Committee still has a lot
> > of progress to make: Out of 243 athletes, two men are openly gay, “10
> > are African American — 4 percent — and another 10 are Asian American.
> > The rest, by and large, are white.” Moody suggested without basis that
> > the focus on diversity may cost Team USA medals, and speculated that
> > athletes were given spots on the team that they didn’t earn during
> > their trials, because of their race. From Moody’s op-ed:
>
> I can't wait to see what he has to say for the Summer Olympics.

Imagine what he's said in the past. Off record.

From: Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>
From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 20:33:56 -0000 (UTC)
David<dimlan17@yahoo.com> wrote:

>https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/02/08/fox-news-executive-vp-r...

>Fox News executive VP rails against diversity of US Olympians:
>"Darker, Gayer, Different"

>Fox News' John Moody, who serves as the network's executive vice
>president and an executive editor, criticized the diversity of Team
>USA in an op-ed a day before the 2018 Winter Olympics were scheduled
>to open in PyeongChang, South Korea.

>Moody decried the strides Team USA has made toward diversity of its
>athletes in a February 7 op-ed published on FoxNews.com. Though this
>is Team USA's most diverse delegation of athletes ever, as The
>Washington Post reported, the U.S. Olympic Committee still has a lot
>of progress to make: Out of 243 athletes, two men are openly gay, 10
>are African American  4 percent  and another 10 are Asian American.
>The rest, by and large, are white. Moody suggested without basis that
>the focus on diversity may cost Team USA medals, and speculated that
>athletes were given spots on the team that they didn't earn during
>their trials, because of their race. From Moody's op-ed:

Here's another way to look at it:

The sports federations need to ensure that the Olympic trials are fair
and honest competitions, and emphasize that point. There is absolutely
no reason for the U.S. Olympic Committee to have made a statement that
there is still a lot of progress to make beyond achieving the goal of
open and honest competition. All it has to do is ensure that athlete were
selected on merit and no one was selected who is unable to compete with
world-class athletes from other countries.

There is no reason for any athlete to tell any sports executive what his
or her sexuality is. It's as insulting as black athletes and
entertainers who were told decades ago, upon receiving awards and
recognition, that they were excellent representatives of their race.

By the time it gets to Olympic trials, it's years too late to address
any discrimination, which is in access to being able to practice and
play the sport because gifted athletes who aren't blessed with middle
class parents totally dedicated to their sport probably won't get too
far in it as children.

As we learned from the recent allegations by former athletes against the
US Soccer Federation, the sports federations have all the money in the
world from marketing. Somehow this money is used to pay generous executive
compensation but too little of it is used for the benefit of the young
athletes for development when they are pre-teen children and teenagers,
whose parents just can't afford the huge cost of sports.

On the off chance that I've been too subtle, let me re-iterate my point
by paraphrasing the immortal words of Tanner Boyle from The Bad News Bears:

Hey U.S. Olympic Committee: You can take apology and your tokenism and
shove 'em straight up your ass!

From: Ed Stasiak <estasiak@att.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 20:25:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Ed Stasiak <estasiak@att.net>

> David
>
> Fox News executive VP rails against diversity of US Olympians:
> ”Darker, Gayer, Different"

Meanwhile, a coin toss is now “racist”…

http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20180208/SPORTS/180209460
By Tim Reynolds, The Associated Press
02/08/18

Tweet from Olympic speedskater’s account rips flagbearer coin toss

PYEONGCHANG, South Korea -  It was a feel-good story for a few hours:
Luge veteran Erin Hamlin gets the chance to enter her last Olympics carrying
the U.S. flag into the opening ceremony of the Pyeongchang Games, winning
that distinction after a vote by some of her fellow athletes.

And then Shani Davis tweeted.

With that, the entire process was called into controversy. The tweet posted to
Davis’ account said the process by which Hamlin won was executed “dishonorably,”
and included a reference to Black History Month — raising the question of whether
the speedskater was suggesting that race played a role in the decision.

Davis is black, Hamlin is white.

“We feel strongly toward Shani and they felt strongly for Erin,” U.S. speedskater
Joey Mantia said. “That’s just that.”

Hamlin and Davis were among eight nominees for the flagbearer role, and athletes
from each of the eight winter sports federations — bobsled and skeleton, ski and
snowboarding, figure skating, curling, biathlon, hockey, speedskating and luge —
represented those nominees in a balloting that took place Wednesday night.

Eventually, the final vote was deadlocked at 4-4. Hamlin won a coin toss, the
predetermined method of picking a winner if all else failed in the athlete-led
process. The U.S. Olympic Committee confirmed the tie, and that voters knew
if the tie couldn’t be broken by them the coin toss would have to occur.

USA Luge declined comment on the tweet. Calls placed to Davis’ phone rang
unanswered, and his agent Ian Baranski did not immediately respond to an
email seeking comment.

From: BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 22:53:43 -0600
Ed Stasiak<estasiak@att.net> wrote:
>> David
>>
>> Fox News executive VP rails against diversity of US Olympians:
>> ”Darker, Gayer, Different"
>
> Meanwhile, a coin toss is now “racist”…
>
> http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20180208/SPORTS/180209460
> By Tim Reynolds, The Associated Press
> 02/08/18
>
> Tweet from Olympic speedskater’s account rips flagbearer coin toss
>
> PYEONGCHANG, South Korea -  It was a feel-good story for a few hours:
> Luge veteran Erin Hamlin gets the chance to enter her last Olympics carrying
> the U.S. flag into the opening ceremony of the Pyeongchang Games, winning
> that distinction after a vote by some of her fellow athletes.
>
> And then Shani Davis tweeted.
>
> With that, the entire process was called into controversy. The tweet posted to
> Davis’ account said the process by which Hamlin won was executed “dishonorably,”
> and included a reference to Black History Month — raising the question of whether
> the speedskater was suggesting that race played a role in the decision.

Yep. Apparently in this guy's mind, he should have been the default choice
because she's white and white is bad.

Maybe he should call up the girl who didn't get to play Esmeralda and they
can commiserate on how oppressed they are.

From: FPP <fredp151@gmail.com>
From: FPP <fredp151@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 04:35:20 -0500

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 14:14:38 -0600

From: Alan Smithee <alms@last.inc>
From: Alan Smithee <alms@last.inc>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 03:00:51 -0400
On 02/09/2018 01:47 PM, David wrote:

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/02/08/fox-news-executive-vp-r...

> Fox News executive VP rails against diversity of US Olympians:
> "Darker, Gayer, Different"
>
> Fox News’ John Moody, who serves as the network’s executive vice
> president and an executive editor, criticized the diversity of Team
> USA in an op-ed a day before the 2018 Winter Olympics were scheduled
> to open in PyeongChang, South Korea.

And the (not unexpected) response ... wonder how much longer he'll be
working there.

Fox News Yanks John Moody's Incendiary "Darker, Gayer" Olympics Column:
"Does Not Reflect Views or Values" At Company

From: Lisa de Moraes

Fox News Yanks John Moody's Incendiary "Darker, Gayer" Olympics Column:
"Does Not Reflect Views or Values" At Company Fox News
<http://deadline.com/tag/fox-news/> yanked an online column about the
Winter Olympics <http://deadline.com/tag/olympics/>, written by longtime
Fox News executive John Moody <http://deadline.com/tag/john-moody/>,
in which he blasted the U.S. Olympics Committee, saying it would like to
change the Olympics motto from,

'Faster, Higher, Stronger'

'Darker, Gayer, Different.'"

"If your goal is to win medals, that won't work,"

Moody complained in the column, which was posted Wednesday and pulled
Friday around 10:30 AM PT, after getting blasted on Twitter and in
statements...

From: bruce2bowser <bruce2bowser@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 23:53:24 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce2bowser@gmail.com
On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 2:00:54 AM UTC-5, Alan Smithee wrote:
> On 02/09/2018 01:47 PM, David wrote:

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/02/08/fox-news-executive-vp-r...

> > Fox News executive VP rails against diversity of US Olympians:
> > "Darker, Gayer, Different"
> >
> > Fox News’ John Moody, who serves as the network’s executive vice
> > president and an executive editor, criticized the diversity of Team
> > USA in an op-ed a day before the 2018 Winter Olympics were scheduled
> > to open in PyeongChang, South Korea.
>
> And the (not unexpected) response ... wonder how much longer he'll be
> working there.
>
> Fox News Yanks John Moody's Incendiary "Darker, Gayer" Olympics Column:
> "Does Not Reflect Views or Values" At Company

That bigotry stuff is the only reason Fox News is even there.

From: FPP <fredp151@gmail.com>
From: FPP <fredp151@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 04:37:07 -0500

From: mogulah <mogulah@hotmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 07:44:57 -0800 (PST)
From: mogulah@hotmail.com
On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 4:37:09 AM UTC-5, FPP wrote:
> On 2/10/18 2:53 AM, bruce2bowser@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 2:00:54 AM UTC-5, Alan Smithee wrote:
> >> On 02/09/2018 01:47 PM, David wrote:

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/02/08/fox-news-executive-vp-r...

> >> And the (not unexpected) response ... wonder how much longer he'll be
> >> working there.
> >>
> >> Fox News Yanks John Moody's Incendiary "Darker, Gayer" Olympics Column:
> >> "Does Not Reflect Views or Values" At Company
> >
> > That bigotry stuff is the only reason Fox News is even there.
>
> Well, that and the sexual harassment.  Everybody's got to have a
> hobby... and that appears to be the favorite one at Fox.

Naaahhh, there's something probably far worse that we still don't know about.

From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 23:29:12 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Friday, 9 February 2018 12:47:10 UTC-5, David  wrote:

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/02/08/fox-news-executive-vp-r...

> Fox News executive VP rails against diversity of US Olympians:
> "Darker, Gayer, Different"
>

> Fox News’ John Moody, who serves as the network’s executive vice
> president and an executive editor, criticized the diversity of Team
> USA in an op-ed a day before the 2018 Winter Olympics were scheduled
> to open in PyeongChang, South Korea.
>
> Moody decried the strides Team USA has made toward diversity of its
> athletes in a February 7 op-ed published on FoxNews.com. Though this
> is Team USA’s most diverse delegation of athletes ever, as The
> Washington Post reported, the U.S. Olympic Committee still has a lot
> of progress to make: Out of 243 athletes, two men are openly gay, “10
> are African American — 4 percent — and another 10 are Asian American.
> The rest, by and large, are white.” Moody suggested without basis that
> the focus on diversity may cost Team USA medals, and speculated that
> athletes were given spots on the team that they didn’t earn during
> their trials, because of their race. From Moody’s op-ed:

Winter sports cost money.  Parents who can afford to send their kids to ski school, hire coaches for
skating, etc., are NOT as a rule black.  Same with tennis in summer.  And golf.  They are sports for
the upper-middle classes for the most part, hence, few blacks.  It's economics at it's most basic.
But I'm sure some liberal will insist the government subsidize just one more thing.

Next <
From: Breezy Kildare <dfager995@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 12:50:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Breezy Kildare <dfager995@gmail.com>
On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 9:47:10 AM UTC-8, David wrote:

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/02/08/fox-news-executive-vp-r...

> Fox News executive VP rails against diversity of US Olympians:
> "Darker, Gayer, Different"
>

> Fox News’ John Moody, who serves as the network’s executive vice
> president and an executive editor, criticized the diversity of Team
> USA in an op-ed a day before the 2018 Winter Olympics were scheduled
> to open in PyeongChang, South Korea.
>
> Moody decried the strides Team USA has made toward diversity of its
> athletes in a February 7 op-ed published on FoxNews.com. Though this
> is Team USA’s most diverse delegation of athletes ever, as The
> Washington Post reported, the U.S. Olympic Committee still has a lot
> of progress to make: Out of 243 athletes, two men are openly gay, “10
> are African American — 4 percent — and another 10 are Asian American.
> The rest, by and large, are white.” Moody suggested without basis that
> the focus on diversity may cost Team USA medals, and speculated that
> athletes were given spots on the team that they didn’t earn during
> their trials, because of their race. From Moody’s op-ed:

when Parrot Poster David says "Diversity" ... he's really talking about the 2 Homosexuals on the
Olympic team ... no Homosexuals ... No Diversity!!!