> Prev
From: David <dimlan17@yahoo.com>
Subject: "Firefly" getting a book series
Full headers:
From: David <dimlan17@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 13:24:10 -0500
http://ew.com/books/2018/02/08/firefly-book-series/

Firefly canon to expand with series of original books
by DAVID CANFIELD

EW can exclusively report that Titan Books and Twentieth Century Fox
Consumer Products have teamed up to publish an original range of new
fiction tying in to Joss Whedon

From: Steve Dodds <sdodds@nova-optical.com>
Subject: Re: "Firefly" getting a book series
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.tv
From: Steve Dodds <sdodds@nova-optical.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 11:58:42 -0700
On 2/9/2018 11:24 AM, David wrote:
> http://ew.com/books/2018/02/08/firefly-book-series/
>
> Firefly canon to expand with series of original books
> by DAVID CANFIELD
>
> EW can exclusively report that Titan Books and Twentieth Century Fox
> Consumer Products have teamed up to publish an original range of new
> fiction tying in to Joss Whedon’s beloved but short-lived TV series
> Firefly. The books will be official titles within the Firefly canon,
> with Whedon serving as consulting editor. The first book is due in the
> fall.
>
> EW has exclusive details on the first three books in the upcoming
> Firefly fiction series, including the authors and release dates. Read
> on below.
>
> Firefly: Big Damn Hero, by Nancy Holder (Oct. 2018)
>
> Captain Malcolm Reynolds finds himself in a dangerous situation after
> being kidnapped by a bunch of embittered veteran Browncoats.
>
> Firefly: The Magnificent Nine, by James Lovegrove (March 2019)
>
> Jayne receives a distress call from his ex Temperance McCloud that
> leads the Serenity crew to danger on a desert moon.
>
> Firefly: Generations, by Tim Lebbon (Oct. 2019)
>
> The discovery of the location of one of the legendary Ark ships that
> brought humans from Earth to the ’Verse promises staggering salvage
> potential, but at what cost? River Tam thinks she might know …

This is the best news I have had in a while. A few years Steven Brust
wrote a Firefly novel, but the powers that be wouldn't let him publish
it, so he put it up on his website for free.  I kept thinking why is
there not more of this, there sure as hell is a market.

From: Horace LaBadie <hlabadie@nospam.com>
From: Horace LaBadie <hlabadie@nospam.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 14:19:27 -0500

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 14:36:41 -0500
On 2/9/2018 1:24 PM, David wrote:
> http://ew.com/books/2018/02/08/firefly-book-series/
>
> Firefly canon to expand with series of original books
> by DAVID CANFIELD
>
> EW can exclusively report that Titan Books and Twentieth Century Fox
> Consumer Products have teamed up to publish an original range of new
> fiction tying in to Joss Whedon’s beloved but short-lived TV series
> Firefly. The books will be official titles within the Firefly canon,
> with Whedon serving as consulting editor. The first book is due in the
> fall.
>
> EW has exclusive details on the first three books in the upcoming
> Firefly fiction series,

If this is really 'in canon', then there was only one Book and he passed
away.

Side note:  I saw at the mall that there is a FIREFLY version of
Monopoly and a FIREFLY version of CLUE...and Book isn't even a suspect.

> The discovery of the location of one of the legendary Ark ships that
> brought humans from Earth to the ’Verse promises staggering salvage
> potential, but at what cost? River Tam thinks she might know …

I'll hold out for the movie.

From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 10:22:38 +1300
On 2018-02-09 19:36:41 +0000, Obveeus said:
> On 2/9/2018 1:24 PM, David wrote:
>>
>> http://ew.com/books/2018/02/08/firefly-book-series/
>>
>> Firefly canon to expand with series of original books
>> by DAVID CANFIELD
>>
>> EW can exclusively report that Titan Books and Twentieth Century Fox
>> Consumer Products have teamed up to publish an original range of new
>> fiction tying in to Joss Whedon's beloved but short-lived TV series
>> Firefly. The books will be official titles within the Firefly canon,
>> with Whedon serving as consulting editor. The first book is due in the
>> fall.
>>
>> EW has exclusive details on the first three books in the upcoming
>> Firefly fiction series,
>
> If this is really 'in canon', then there was only one Book and he passed away.
>
> Side note:  I saw at the mall that there is a FIREFLY version of
> Monopoly and a FIREFLY version of CLUE...and Book isn't even a suspect.
>
>> The discovery of the location of one of the legendary Ark ships that
>> brought humans from Earth to the 'Verse promises staggering salvage
>> potential, but at what cost? River Tam thinks she might know ...
>
> I'll hold out for the movie.

More like an idiotic reboot, with "Captain Mallory Reynolds", an Asian
woman with one leg missing since birth.  :-\

From: Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.tv
From: Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 17:21:58 -0700
Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in

> On 2018-02-09 19:36:41 +0000, Obveeus said:
>> On 2/9/2018 1:24 PM, David wrote:
>>>
>>> http://ew.com/books/2018/02/08/firefly-book-series/
>>>
>>> Firefly canon to expand with series of original books
>>> by DAVID CANFIELD
>>>
>>> EW can exclusively report that Titan Books and Twentieth
>>> Century Fox Consumer Products have teamed up to publish an
>>> original range of new fiction tying in to Joss Whedon's
>>> beloved but short-lived TV series Firefly. The books will be
>>> official titles within the Firefly canon, with Whedon serving
>>> as consulting editor. The first book is due in the fall.
>>>
>>> EW has exclusive details on the first three books in the
>>> upcoming Firefly fiction series,
>>
>> If this is really 'in canon', then there was only one Book and
>> he passed away.
>>
>> Side note:  I saw at the mall that there is a FIREFLY version
>> of Monopoly and a FIREFLY version of CLUE...and Book isn't even
>> a suspect.
>>
>>> The discovery of the location of one of the legendary Ark
>>> ships that brought humans from Earth to the 'Verse promises
>>> staggering salvage potential, but at what cost? River Tam
>>> thinks she might know ...
>>
>> I'll hold out for the movie.
>
> More like an idiotic reboot, with "Captain Mallory Reynolds", an

Jewish

> Asian woman

lesbian

> with one leg missing since birth.  :-\

Jayne would have to be gay, too, and a mincing effeminate (who
still kicks ass better than anyone else could ever hope to).

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

    -- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

From: Doc OLeary <droleary@2017usenet1.subsume.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 22:51:04 -0000 (UTC)
For your reference, records indicate that
Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:

> If this is really 'in canon', then there was only one Book and he passed
> away.

Timelines are malleable things, especially when you don’t have to rely
on specific actors to play the characters.  Novels could be set before,
during, or after the events of the series and/or movie.  It does put
some limits on *what* could be done with characters like Book or Wash,
but it doesn’t necessarily keep them from appearing in the stories.

> > The discovery of the location of one of the legendary Ark ships that
> > brought humans from Earth to the ’Verse promises staggering salvage
> > potential, but at what cost? River Tam thinks she might know …
>
> I'll hold out for the movie.

I’d hold out on *everything* until I knew the continuity of the timeline
got the proper attention.  As much as it was nice to get Serenity, it
did depict things in a way that seemed to contradict what the series
established (e.g., the rescue of River).  If they really want to try to
franchise the Firefly universe, they really should try harder to avoid
the mistakes that have been made by properties like Star Trek.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Next <
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Full headers:
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 12:50:09 +1300
On 2018-02-10 22:51:04 +0000, Doc O'Leary said:
> For your reference, records indicate that
> Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> If this is really 'in canon', then there was only one Book and he passed
>> away.
>
> Timelines are malleable things, especially when you don’t have to rely
> on specific actors to play the characters.  Novels could be set before,
> during, or after the events of the series and/or movie.  It does put
> some limits on *what* could be done with characters like Book or Wash,
> but it doesn’t necessarily keep them from appearing in the stories.
>
>>> The discovery of the location of one of the legendary Ark ships that
>>> brought humans from Earth to the ’Verse promises staggering salvage
>>> potential, but at what cost? River Tam thinks she might know …
>>
>> I'll hold out for the movie.
>
> I’d hold out on *everything* until I knew the continuity of the timeline
> got the proper attention.  As much as it was nice to get Serenity, it
> did depict things in a way that seemed to contradict what the series
> established (e.g., the rescue of River).  If they really want to try to
> franchise the Firefly universe, they really should try harder to avoid
> the mistakes that have been made by properties like Star Trek.

Mistakes like idioticlly reboot it (including rebooting while
oreenteding it's a sequel), multiple times in the case of some
franchises.

Mistakes like moronically trying to update it or "Politically
Correct"-ify it to fit modern tastes and times.

Mistakes like smacking the existing fan base in the face while
attempting to grab more dollars from some, often mythical, "new fans".

Mistakes like a massive number of (near) simiultaneous projects that
simply over-whelm and quickly "tire" the franchise.

:-\