> Prev
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2018-03-07 (Wednesday)
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 07:49:21 -0500
I watched:

MODERN FAMILY:  Mitch gets a new job with a company that is going
bankrupt under criminal investigation.  Unrealistically, they pretend
that such a job doesn't pay well.  Phil and Alex switch roles, briefly,
and battle the next door work neighbor.  Jay and Gloria have a sexual
taboo episode involving spanking...which is really just so not some
weird kinky sex thing that this part of the episode felt like it fell
out of the 1950s.

THE MAGICIANS:  Margo and Eliot are sentenced to death, but on the good
side they get to choose the method.  Julia and Fen play with a fairy and
try to teach it magic so that it can gain its freedom.  Penny and Alice
and Kady get stuck in a happy sucking pocket world with Josh...and the
demon running it hints that he was told to do it by 'him'...which I'm
guessing is a half goat God.  In the process of all of this, the 5th key
(E) is found and everyone can talk to each other across space and
dimension.  This was a musical episode, sort of, and all the music aside
from the last song sucked.

CORPORATE:  After a long hard week at work, the various employees get
sucked into a situation where they have to see their bosses on the
weekend, too.  A lame western style restaurant that serves milk (I've
been to a much better one) and male prostitutes and birds and a
grandfather clock make for a mediocre episode.

REVOLT:  A 2017 sci-fi film starring Lee Pace (HALT AND CATCH FIRE) and
Berenice Marlohe (SKYFALL) as a US soldier and a French doctor who get
caught up in an alien invasion while on assignments in Africa.  To make
matters worse, Lee Pace's character is suffering from amnesia.  While
you would think that a worldwide alien invasion is the biggest problem
they would have, in this film's reality, the biggest problem is that the
humans are busy killing each other off as fast as they can with
mini-conflicts between the battles with aliens.  This film plays like
one of those Syfy action films.  People who enjoy low budget cheesy
action will probably love this...and it wasn't totally intolerable for
normal folks, either.

What did you watch?

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2018-03-07 (Wednesday)
From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 06:41:35 -0800
On 3/8/2018 4:49 AM, Obveeus wrote:
> I watched:
>
> MODERN FAMILY:  Mitch gets a new job with a company that is going
> bankrupt under criminal investigation.  Unrealistically, they pretend
> that such a job doesn't pay well.  Phil and Alex switch roles, briefly,
> and battle the next door work neighbor.  Jay and Gloria have a sexual
> taboo episode involving spanking...which is really just so not some
> weird kinky sex thing that this part of the episode felt like it fell
> out of the 1950s.
>
> THE MAGICIANS:  Margo and Eliot are sentenced to death, but on the good
> side they get to choose the method.  Julia and Fen play with a fairy and
> try to teach it magic so that it can gain its freedom.  Penny and Alice
> and Kady get stuck in a happy sucking pocket world with Josh...

When even the characters on the show don't know who Josh is, how am *I*
supposed to know who Josh is? :-/

I could have sworn the lyrics to his song said he was *not* who he
looked like.  I assumed that meant he was a fake Josh.  How did they
figure out he was the real Josh and everyone else was fake?

and the
> demon running it hints that he was told to do it by 'him'...which I'm
> guessing is a half goat God.  In the process of all of this, the 5th key
> (E) is found and everyone can talk to each other across space and
> dimension.  This was a musical episode, sort of, and all the music aside
> from the last song sucked.

Agreed.  And Eliot can actually sing!

> CORPORATE:  After a long hard week at work, the various employees get
> sucked into a situation where they have to see their bosses on the
> weekend, too.  A lame western style restaurant that serves milk (I've
> been to a much better one) and male prostitutes and birds and a
> grandfather clock make for a mediocre episode.
>
> REVOLT:  A 2017 sci-fi film starring Lee Pace (HALT AND CATCH FIRE) and
> Berenice Marlohe (SKYFALL) as a US soldier and a French doctor who get
> caught up in an alien invasion while on assignments in Africa.  To make
> matters worse, Lee Pace's character is suffering from amnesia.  While
> you would think that a worldwide alien invasion is the biggest problem
> they would have, in this film's reality, the biggest problem is that the
> humans are busy killing each other off as fast as they can with
> mini-conflicts between the battles with aliens.  This film plays like
> one of those Syfy action films.  People who enjoy low budget cheesy
> action will probably love this...and it wasn't totally intolerable for
> normal folks, either.

This was already in the queue, but I moved it closer to the top.

> What did you watch?

Law and Order: SVU - "In Loco Parentis" - Carisi's niece claims she's
raped then says she made it up then says she was raped a second time by
the same guy, but this time she means it.  The only way to get a
conviction is for the guy to make a dramatic confession on the stand.
Good thing this is SVU...

Survivor - "Only Time Will Tell" - Mostly background noise.

Speechless - "UN-UNFORGETTABLE P-A-PAIN" - JJ and his friend who happens
to be a really annoying movie nerd go to a movie.  And other even dumber
stuff happens.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 10:53:24 -0500
On 3/8/2018 9:41 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

> On 3/8/2018 4:49 AM, Obveeus wrote:
>> THE MAGICIANS:  Margo and Eliot are sentenced to death, but on the
>> good side they get to choose the method.  Julia and Fen play with a
>> fairy and try to teach it magic so that it can gain its freedom.
>> Penny and Alice and Kady get stuck in a happy sucking pocket world
>> with Josh...
>
> When even the characters on the show don't know who Josh is, how am *I*
> supposed to know who Josh is? :-/

We've seen Josh many times before as one of the Brakebill students that
occasionally helps out, but then disappears again into the background.

> I could have sworn the lyrics to his song said he was *not* who he
> looked like.  I assumed that meant he was a fake Josh.  How did they
> figure out he was the real Josh and everyone else was fake?

I agree.  Everything in Josh's lyrics fit the demon character's
plan/persona.  Maybe the guy doing the Todd character just cannot sing?
Maybe it was just not enough of a misdirect/puzzle if the room/pocket
world became mostly about Todd instead of the all-but-forgotten Josh?

From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Full headers:
From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 20:01:47 -0800
On 2018-03-08 14:41:35 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 3/8/2018 4:49 AM, Obveeus wrote:
>> I watched:
>>
>> THE MAGICIANS:

Full headers:
From: MDuPree@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 07:30:40 +0000 (UTC)
Arthur Lipscomb<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

> On 3/8/2018 4:49 AM, Obveeus wrote:

>> THE MAGICIANS:  Margo and Eliot are sentenced to death, but on the
>> good side they get to choose the method.  Julia and Fen play with a
>> fairy and try to teach it magic so that it can gain its freedom.
>> Penny and Alice and Kady get stuck in a happy sucking pocket world
>> with Josh...
>
> When even the characters on the show don't know who Josh is, how am
> *I* supposed to know who Josh is? :-/
>
> I could have sworn the lyrics to his song said he was *not* who he
> looked like.  I assumed that meant he was a fake Josh.  How did they
> figure out he was the real Josh and everyone else was fake?

While I thought I vaguely remembered a character like Josh from before,
a guy that the cool kids ditch, I just decided to go with the flow when
it came to the details, because I couldn't dredge them up either.

>> ... and the demon running it hints that he was told to do it by
>> 'him'...which I'm guessing is a half goat God.  In the process of
>> all of this, the 5th key (E) is found and everyone can talk to each
>> other across space and dimension.  This was a musical episode, sort
>> of, and all the music aside from the last song sucked.
>
> Agreed.  And Eliot can actually sing!

It was hokey, yet I actually kind of liked it because I'm rooting for
the main characters.  I think I had more trouble believing that a bunch
of 20-somethings would all know all the lyrics to a song that came out
before they were born.

-Micky

Full headers:
From: ~consul <consul@dolphinsPLEASEdelAWAY-cove.DELcom>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 17:02:14 -0400

From: MDuPree@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 09:03:17 +0000 (UTC)
~consul<consul@dolphinsPLEASEdelAWAY-cove.DELcom> writes:

>> It was hokey, yet I actually kind of liked it because I'm rooting for
>> the main characters.  I think I had more trouble believing that a
>> bunch of 20-somethings would all know all the lyrics to a song that
>> came out before they were born.
>
> They didn't, I think only Quentin did. I think he did a magic spell
> taht ave them all the lyrics directly. He did some sort of conjuring
> while he was explaining what they needed to do. Q definately seems to
> be the one who would know this song. :)

LOL

-Micky

From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Full headers:
From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 07:10:03 -0800
On 2018-03-08 12:49:21 +0000, Obveeus said:

> I watched:
>
> REVOLT:  A 2017 sci-fi film starring Lee Pace (HALT AND CATCH FIRE) and
> Berenice Marlohe (SKYFALL) as a US soldier and a French doctor who get
> caught up in an alien invasion while on assignments in Africa.  To make
> matters worse, Lee Pace's character is suffering from amnesia.  While
> you would think that a worldwide alien invasion is the biggest problem
> they would have, in this film's reality, the biggest problem is that
> the humans are busy killing each other off as fast as they can with
> mini-conflicts between the battles with aliens.  This film plays like
> one of those Syfy action films.  People who enjoy low budget cheesy
> action will probably love this...and it wasn't totally intolerable for
> normal folks, either.

Yes - if this is on The Netflix, I will probably check it out...

> What did you watch?

Chicago Med (recorded) - "Folie a Deux" (ep. #3.11). I quite liked this
episode... We find out more about why Sarah Reese is so nutty - her
estranged (astrophysicist!) father shows up in town, and immediately
"plays" Dr. Charles in order to get closer to his daughter... with
definitely less than "noble" motives. In fact, by the end of this we
get the strong feeling that Reese's Mom was correct to warn everyone to
stay away from this guy, as he's totally shady...
   The titular storyline, in which Dr. Charles treats an apparently
paranoid and crazy woman has stabbed her neighbor unprovoked - though,
'natch, there's more going on here - was pretty compelling. There was
also a LOL exchange in between Det. Halstead and Dr. Charles in this
one - something like - Halstead: "I don't think she likes you."
Charles: "I get that alot."
   Meanwhile, we get YA scene in which Manning once again acts like a
self-righteous lunatic: even when she's right about something, you
still just want to slap her. And after Noah Sexton misses a diagnosis,
Rhodes and Bekker have a long open-heart surgery to perform... which
ultimately leads to smoochies between them. Yuck.

The Blacklist - "Pattie Sue Edwards" (ep. 5.15). A pretty episode. The
Blacklister storyline involves a woman who is going around infecting
people with a deadly "designer" virus that is both highly contageous
and kills fast. Meanwhile, Lizzie and her new cop "mole" set up a trap
for Garvey... but things don't go as planned for Lizzie's cop friend.
And Red has to "wheel and deal" in order to avoid an IRS audit of one
of his shady business... In the end, Lizzie has seemingly found her
target.

SEAL Team - "No Man's Land" (ep. #15). Honestly I didn't really follow
this episode. Something about the team finding a money stash which gets
them closer(?) to who killed Echo team, and them using an Afghan girl
to do it. Meanwhile, they introduce Dawn Olivieri as a new potential
love interest for Jason (after Jason spoils the mood with Mandy by
unnecessarily waking her up while she is sleeping!)...

Recorded for later: The Magicians.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 10:47:03 -0500
On 3/8/2018 10:10 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2018-03-08 12:49:21 +0000, Obveeus said:
>
>> I watched:
>>
>> REVOLT:  A 2017 sci-fi film starring Lee Pace (HALT AND CATCH FIRE)
>> and Berenice Marlohe (SKYFALL) as a US soldier and a French doctor who
>> get caught up in an alien invasion while on assignments in Africa.
>
> Yes - if this is on The Netflix, I will probably check it out...

Netflix DVD.  You can pay $5 to rent it streaming on Amazon...or you
could subscribe to Netflix DVD for $8 and get about 8 films a month on
DVD or you could check it out from RedBox for about $1.50.

From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Full headers:
From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 08:10:38 -0800

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 12:14:20 -0700

From: chicagofan <me7@privacy.net>
From: chicagofan <me7@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 12:17:53 -0500
Obveeus wrote:
> What did you watch?

Don't faint!  I finally watched something that I want to comment on.  ;)

CRIMINAL MINDS: I don't know about others, but after that episode, I
felt like they took all the regular characters put them in a bucket,
shook it up and then threw them out.  ;)  I'm really not sure I was
watching the right show.  LOL ... I can't comment on what happened,
because I can't make sense of it.

It seems like desperation to me ... maybe ratings are dropping since
they fired Thomas Gibson.  I know I really miss him. :(
bj

From: Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 10:10:22 -0800 (PST)
From: "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.com>
On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 9:17:55 AM UTC-8, chicagofan wrote:

> Obveeus wrote:
>
> > What did you watch?
>
> Don't faint!  I finally watched something that I want to comment on.  ;)
>
> CRIMINAL MINDS: I don't know about others, but after that episode, I
> felt like they took all the regular characters put them in a bucket,
> shook it up and then threw them out.  ;)  I'm really not sure I was
> watching the right show.  LOL ... I can't comment on what happened,
> because I can't make sense of it.
>
> It seems like desperation to me ... maybe ratings are dropping since
> they fired Thomas Gibson.  I know I really miss him. :(
> bj

Note: I only saw the beginning of this.

But if they leave JJ as the new team leader, that might be enough to get me to sample this again, as
that's an interesting change...

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 13:04:11 -0700
In article <p7rr80$e4q$1@dont-email.me>, chicagofan<me7@privacy.net>
wrote:

> Obveeus wrote:
> > What did you watch?
>
> Don't faint!  I finally watched something that I want to comment on.  ;)
>
> CRIMINAL MINDS: I don't know about others, but after that episode, I
> felt like they took all the regular characters put them in a bucket,
> shook it up and then threw them out.  ;)  I'm really not sure I was
> watching the right show.  LOL ... I can't comment on what happened,
> because I can't make sense of it.
>
> It seems like desperation to me ... maybe ratings are dropping since
> they fired Thomas Gibson.  I know I really miss him. :(
> bj

Hell, I still miss Lola Glaudini.  :(

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

From: chicagofan <me7@privacy.net>
From: chicagofan <me7@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 10:29:16 -0400
anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <p7rr80$e4q$1@dont-email.me>, chicagofan<me7@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Obveeus wrote:
>>> What did you watch?
>> Don't faint!  I finally watched something that I want to comment on.  ;)
>>
>> CRIMINAL MINDS: I don't know about others, but after that episode, I
>> felt like they took all the regular characters put them in a bucket,
>> shook it up and then threw them out.  ;)  I'm really not sure I was
>> watching the right show.  LOL ... I can't comment on what happened,
>> because I can't make sense of it.
>>
>> It seems like desperation to me ... maybe ratings are dropping since
>> they fired Thomas Gibson.  I know I really miss him. :(
>> bj
> Hell, I still miss Lola Glaudini.  :(

You and a lot of others.   For some reason I was never a big fan of
hers.  I'm wondering what happened to her though, I haven't seen her
since CM.
bj

From: BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com>
Full headers:
From: BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 08:10:20 -0800
In article <p83efs$tj9$3@dont-email.me>, chicagofan<me7@privacy.net>
wrote:

> anim8rfsk wrote:

> > In article <p7rr80$e4q$1@dont-email.me>, chicagofan<me7@privacy.net>
> > wrote:

> >> Don't faint!  I finally watched something that I want to comment on.  ;)
> >>
> >> CRIMINAL MINDS: I don't know about others, but after that episode, I
> >> felt like they took all the regular characters put them in a bucket,
> >> shook it up and then threw them out.  ;)  I'm really not sure I was
> >> watching the right show.  LOL ... I can't comment on what happened,
> >> because I can't make sense of it.
> >>
> >> It seems like desperation to me ... maybe ratings are dropping since
> >> they fired Thomas Gibson.  I know I really miss him. :(
> >> bj

> > Hell, I still miss Lola Glaudini.  :(
> >
> You and a lot of others. For some reason I was never a big fan of
> hers.

+1

I never got the appeal.

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 12:08:59 -0700
In article<atropos-238A1E.08102011032018@news.giganews.com>,
 BTR1701<atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> In article <p83efs$tj9$3@dont-email.me>, chicagofan<me7@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>
> > anim8rfsk wrote:

> > > Hell, I still miss Lola Glaudini.  :(
> > >
> > You and a lot of others. For some reason I was never a big fan of
> > hers.
>
> +1
>
> I never got the appeal.

You ever see her as the head of Montecito security N'Orleans on LAS
VEGAS?

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 11:52:05 -0700
wrote:

> anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <p7rr80$e4q$1@dont-email.me>, chicagofan<me7@privacy.net>
> > wrote:

> >> Don't faint!  I finally watched something that I want to comment on.  ;)
> >>
> >> CRIMINAL MINDS: I don't know about others, but after that episode, I
> >> felt like they took all the regular characters put them in a bucket,
> >> shook it up and then threw them out.  ;)  I'm really not sure I was
> >> watching the right show.  LOL ... I can't comment on what happened,
> >> because I can't make sense of it.
> >>
> >> It seems like desperation to me ... maybe ratings are dropping since
> >> they fired Thomas Gibson.  I know I really miss him. :(
> >> bj
> > Hell, I still miss Lola Glaudini.  :(
> >
> You and a lot of others.   For some reason I was never a big fan of
> hers.  I'm wondering what happened to her though, I haven't seen her
> since CM.
> bj

She pops up in a minor recurring role in MARVEL Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
and I noted her in the pilot of The Expanse but that was one and done
for me.  She seems to be doing mostly one off guest shots in the dozen
(!) years since she left Criminal Minds, maybe as a result of her
raising two kids.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:12:40 -0500
On 3/8/2018 12:17 PM, chicagofan wrote:
> Obveeus wrote:
>> What did you watch?
>
> Don't faint!  I finally watched something that I want to comment on.  ;)

Yeah!

> CRIMINAL MINDS: I don't know about others, but after that episode, I
> felt like they took all the regular characters put them in a bucket,
> shook it up and then threw them out.  ;)

So now all of them are chum?

From: chicagofan <me7@privacy.net>
Full headers:
From: chicagofan <me7@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 10:31:56 -0400
Obveeus wrote:

> On 3/8/2018 12:17 PM, chicagofan wrote:
>> Obveeus wrote:
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Don't faint!  I finally watched something that I want to comment on.  ;)
>
> Yeah!
>
>> CRIMINAL MINDS: I don't know about others, but after that episode, I
>> felt like they took all the regular characters put them in a bucket,
>> shook it up and then threw them out.  ;)
>
> So now all of them are chum?

LOL ... could be!  I guess we're supposed to be wondering who survives
this big shakeup, and I'm just annoyed, because it seems they are
ruining one of my formerly favorite shows.
bj

From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 12:10:50 -0700
In article <p7rbgg$qfq$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
wrote:

> What did you watch?

LIFE SENTENCE

So.  It's not horrible.  Hale is quite good in it.  She's also Lindy
Booth skinny.  None of the dialog rings true - it sounds like overly
clever writing making characters say the things they wish they had said
but not thought of until the middle of the night.

The idea that your beautiful Asian virgin doctor would try a treatment
and then say "you're cured - not in remission cured - you've beaten
cancer, it's gone" - especially without a 5 year wait or something - is
absolutely ridiculous.  She went from 6 months to live (suffering from
the type of cancer that smites yet does not wither) to ABSOLUTELY
COMPLETELY TOTALLY CURED NOT IN REMISSION CURED CURED CURED from one
doctor visit to the next.  Paul Bryan should have been so lucky.

They checked the PC boxes left and right.  Hale and her sister Beth are
both married to men of color.  Mom's a lesbian.  Boss is black.  Doctor
is Asian.  The two white males in her life - her father and brother -
are both hapless idiots.  This is becoming tiresome fast.

The premise is that now that Hale is ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY TOTALLY CURED
NOT IN REMISSION CURED CURED CURED she now has to fix everybody else's
life.  So her first mission is to fix her beautiful virgin Asian doctor
up with her literal moron drug addict idiot worthless brother because -
wait, what the fuck?  WHY?

I wouldn't say you're stuffed absolutely clean full of wild blueberry
muffins for liking it, but it's not for me.  One and done.

From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Full headers:
From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 11:54:49 -0800
On 2018-03-08 19:10:50 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> In article <p7rbgg$qfq$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> LIFE SENTENCE
>
> So.  It's not horrible.  Hale is quite good in it.  She's also Lindy
> Booth skinny.  None of the dialog rings true - it sounds like overly
> clever writing making characters say the things they wish they had said
> but not thought of until the middle of the night.
>
> The idea that your beautiful Asian virgin doctor would try a treatment
> and then say "you're cured - not in remission cured - you've beaten
> cancer, it's gone" - especially without a 5 year wait or something - is
> absolutely ridiculous.  She went from 6 months to live (suffering from
> the type of cancer that smites yet does not wither) to ABSOLUTELY
> COMPLETELY TOTALLY CURED NOT IN REMISSION CURED CURED CURED from one
> doctor visit to the next.  Paul Bryan should have been so lucky.
>
> They checked the PC boxes left and right.  Hale and her sister Beth are
> both married to men of color.  Mom's a lesbian.  Boss is black.  Doctor
> is Asian.  The two white males in her life - her father and brother -
> are both hapless idiots.  This is becoming tiresome fast.
>
> The premise is that now that Hale is ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY TOTALLY CURED
> NOT IN REMISSION CURED CURED CURED she now has to fix everybody else's
> life.  So her first mission is to fix her beautiful virgin Asian doctor
> up with her literal moron drug addict idiot worthless brother because -
> wait, what the fuck?  WHY?
>
> I wouldn't say you're stuffed absolutely clean full of wild blueberry
> muffins for liking it, but it's not for me.  One and done.

Thank you! for confirming that I was completely right to skip this show.  ;)

(It was worth repeating!!  ;p  )

From: icebreaker <icebreaker@nowhere.com>
From: icebreaker <icebreaker@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 16:06:36 -0500
On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 12:10:50 -0700, anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>In article <p7rbgg$qfq$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
>LIFE SENTENCE
>
>So.  It's not horrible.  Hale is quite good in it.  She's also Lindy
>Booth skinny.  None of the dialog rings true - it sounds like overly
>clever writing making characters say the things they wish they had said
>but not thought of until the middle of the night.
>
>The idea that your beautiful Asian virgin doctor would try a treatment
>and then say "you're cured - not in remission cured - you've beaten
>cancer, it's gone" - especially without a 5 year wait or something - is
>absolutely ridiculous.  She went from 6 months to live (suffering from
>the type of cancer that smites yet does not wither) to ABSOLUTELY
>COMPLETELY TOTALLY CURED NOT IN REMISSION CURED CURED CURED from one
>doctor visit to the next.  Paul Bryan should have been so lucky.
>
>They checked the PC boxes left and right.  Hale and her sister Beth are
>both married to men of color.  Mom's a lesbian.  Boss is black.  Doctor
>is Asian.  The two white males in her life - her father and brother -
>are both hapless idiots.  This is becoming tiresome fast.
>
>The premise is that now that Hale is ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY TOTALLY CURED
>NOT IN REMISSION CURED CURED CURED she now has to fix everybody else's
>life.  So her first mission is to fix her beautiful virgin Asian doctor
>up with her literal moron drug addict idiot worthless brother because -
>wait, what the fuck?  WHY?
>
>I wouldn't say you're stuffed absolutely clean full of wild blueberry
>muffins for liking it, but it's not for me.  One and done.

The setup was absurd with the cure and all. They had to get the show
on the road so I'll forgive them for that. It depends what they do
from here. It's probably going to be all in for SJW based on making
mom bi and all checkbox ticking, which will kill it for lots,
including me.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:14:45 -0500
On 3/8/2018 2:10 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <p7rbgg$qfq$1@dont-email.me>, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> LIFE SENTENCE

> The premise is that now that Hale is ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY TOTALLY CURED
> NOT IN REMISSION CURED CURED CURED she now has to fix everybody else's
> life.  So her first mission is to fix her beautiful virgin Asian doctor
> up with her literal moron drug addict idiot worthless brother because -
> wait, what the fuck?  WHY?

Maybe she is trying to save her brother at the expense of the doctor she
no longer needs?

From: icebreaker <icebreaker@nowhere.com>
From: icebreaker <icebreaker@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 16:26:01 -0500
On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 07:49:21 -0500, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:

>I watched:

>THE MAGICIANS:  Margo and Eliot are sentenced to death, but on the good
>side they get to choose the method.  Julia and Fen play with a fairy and
>try to teach it magic so that it can gain its freedom.  Penny and Alice
>and Kady get stuck in a happy sucking pocket world with Josh...and the
>demon running it hints that he was told to do it by 'him'...which I'm
>guessing is a half goat God.  In the process of all of this, the 5th key
>(E) is found and everyone can talk to each other across space and
>dimension.  This was a musical episode, sort of, and all the music aside
>from the last song sucked.

I saw this while in my office last night. One of my favorites. Loved
the Bowie/Queen tribute that brought them together.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:16:22 -0500
On 3/8/2018 4:26 PM, icebreaker wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 07:49:21 -0500, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> I watched:
>
>> THE MAGICIANS:  Margo and Eliot are sentenced to death, but on the good
>> side they get to choose the method.  Julia and Fen play with a fairy and
>> try to teach it magic so that it can gain its freedom.  Penny and Alice
>> and Kady get stuck in a happy sucking pocket world with Josh...and the
>> demon running it hints that he was told to do it by 'him'...which I'm
>> guessing is a half goat God.  In the process of all of this, the 5th key
>> (E) is found and everyone can talk to each other across space and
>> dimension.  This was a musical episode, sort of, and all the music aside
>>from the last song sucked.
>
> I saw this while in my office last night. One of my favorites. Loved
> the Bowie/Queen tribute that brought them together.

Yes, it was the single musical highlight of this musical episode.
Beyond that, I was surprised at how little music there was given the
previews sort of made it seem like it would be music filled.

From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 20:05:19 -0800
On 2018-03-09 00:16:22 +0000, Obveeus said:

> On 3/8/2018 4:26 PM, icebreaker wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 07:49:21 -0500, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I watched:
>>
>>> THE MAGICIANS:  Margo and Eliot are sentenced to death, but on the good
>>> side they get to choose the method.  Julia and Fen play with a fairy and
>>> try to teach it magic so that it can gain its freedom.  Penny and Alice
>>> and Kady get stuck in a happy sucking pocket world with Josh...and the
>>> demon running it hints that he was told to do it by 'him'...which I'm
>>> guessing is a half goat God.  In the process of all of this, the 5th key
>>> (E) is found and everyone can talk to each other across space and
>>> dimension.  This was a musical episode, sort of, and all the music aside
>>> from the last song sucked.
>>
>> I saw this while in my office last night. One of my favorites. Loved
>> the Bowie/Queen tribute that brought them together.
>
> Yes, it was the single musical highlight of this musical episode.
> Beyond that, I was surprised at how little music there was given the
> previews sort of made it seem like it would be music filled.

Yeah, they basically gave Kady a "number" (badly lipsynched), but they
oddly stuck Alice and Quentin in there with her, and they appear to be
the two worst singers among the entire main cast!!(?)!

Odd choice.

From: icebreaker <icebreaker@nowhere.com>
From: icebreaker <icebreaker@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2018 09:29:34 -0500
On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:16:22 -0500, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:

>On 3/8/2018 4:26 PM, icebreaker wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 07:49:21 -0500, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I watched:
>>
>>> THE MAGICIANS:  Margo and Eliot are sentenced to death, but on the good
>>> side they get to choose the method.  Julia and Fen play with a fairy and
>>> try to teach it magic so that it can gain its freedom.  Penny and Alice
>>> and Kady get stuck in a happy sucking pocket world with Josh...and the
>>> demon running it hints that he was told to do it by 'him'...which I'm
>>> guessing is a half goat God.  In the process of all of this, the 5th key
>>> (E) is found and everyone can talk to each other across space and
>>> dimension.  This was a musical episode, sort of, and all the music aside
>>>from the last song sucked.
>>
>> I saw this while in my office last night. One of my favorites. Loved
>> the Bowie/Queen tribute that brought them together.
>
>Yes, it was the single musical highlight of this musical episode.
>Beyond that, I was surprised at how little music there was given the
>previews sort of made it seem like it would be music filled.

Saw an article a while back that only Hale Appleman (Eliot) and Jade
Tailor (Kady) were singers. The others had to be coaxed into the deed.
That might explain why they didn't go all Buffy. Appleman did perform
a Queenish vocal which made the whole effort work imo.

From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 06:56:30 -0800
On 2018-03-09 14:29:34 +0000, icebreaker said:

> On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:16:22 -0500, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:

>>> I saw this while in my office last night. One of my favorites. Loved
>>> the Bowie/Queen tribute that brought them together.
>>
>> Yes, it was the single musical highlight of this musical episode.
>> Beyond that, I was surprised at how little music there was given the
>> previews sort of made it seem like it would be music filled.
>
> Saw an article a while back that only Hale Appleman (Eliot) and Jade
> Tailor (Kady) were singers. The others had to be coaxed into the deed.
> That might explain why they didn't go all Buffy. Appleman did perform
> a Queenish vocal which made the whole effort work imo.

As I said, Trevor Einhorn (Josh) has got to be a singer too. (Unclear
about Penny...)

But, yeah - there was no evidence presented that Julia, Quentin or
Alice can actually sing.

From: "Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 13:49:30 -0600
Obveeus sent the following on 03/08/2018 at 06:49 AM:
> What did you watch?

THE X-FILES / 11x08 / Familiar

[Mulder and Scully investigate the brutal animal attack of a little boy
in Connecticut, while suspecting darker forces are at play.]

After last week's absolute worst episode in the history of the series,
the show rebounds with a strong outing that hits on many of the best
notes of a classic standalone MotW episode from the show's heyday. A
woman, embittered by her sheriff husband's infidelity, unleashes old
dark magic in a small -- despite the apparent size of its police force
-- Connecticut town. Along the way, Scully wants to accept the easy and
obvious explanation, but Mulder is at his skeptical best in this one and
proves to be correct. On a casting note, I've joked for years that Roger
Cross, who seems to make it a point to show up on every Vancouver-based
show ever made, had somehow missed his chance with THE X-FILES. Then the
revival came along and here we are: Roger shows up as a cop. Good job,
Roger and Roger's agent. Cross this one off your list. :)

On a side note related to another thread, Mulder fires two warning shots
into the air. :)

Grade: A-

RIVERDALE / 2x14 / Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Hills Have Eyes

[When Hiram suggests that Veronica and Archie head up to their lake
house for the weekend, Veronica decides to invite Betty and Jughead to
join them. Determined to uncover Hiram’s plans for Riverdale, Jughead
uses his time at the lake house to press Veronica about what she may
know. Back in Riverdale, Cheryl makes a surprising connection with an
unlikely friend, while Josie lands in hot water after revealing a secret
to Kevin.]

The writers continue to tread water and be clueless about where to take
the narrative. And this time, instead of it being 95% soap opera, it was
99%, with the remaining 1% being a random and stupid robbery that's
probably going to be forgotten next week. I still plan to see this
through to the end of the season, but it's no longer going to be any
kind of a priority. And unless things change massively, I won't be back
for any third season that might come along. As far as sophomore season
disappointments are concerned, I can't recall such a drop-off in quality
since HEROES, but at least that show had a writers' strike to use as an
excuse. Oh, and they've made Cheryl gay here. Because I guess that's the
sort of thing that you do plotwise when you have no idea what else to do
with a character and fan feedback has told you long ago to drop the
incest insinuations.

Grade: F

THE MAGICIANS / 3x09 / All That Josh

[Quentin, Kady and Alice try to convince an old friend to return home.]

"As desired then. You will plummet through freezing waters against walls
of razor rocks, so you bleed out or drown, or if you're lucky, just
starve to death."
"I really don't think we could've picked a better option."

"I don't mean to be rude, but pigging out on Josh's dream world has left
me a little gassy."

Tick shows his true colors and ultimately abandons Margo and Eliot and
the magic boat. Meanwhile, our former royals are facing death by
waterfall and have a heartfelt talk. Margo channels Han Solo.

On the campus-ish front, UnTodd, who is actually a "joy junkie," has The
Fifth Key. Until our heroes find it inside a piano because someone must
have watched CASABLANCA. Josh is sorta kinda helpful, but still whiney.
Despite having a valid point or two.

Elsewhere, Julia finds fairy Skye and does some magic coaching. It
works, and Skye has her mojo back. For a moment. Just long enough for
the necklace that she's been outfitted with to almost kill her. But
Julia has "leveled up" and can now do magic without the handwaving
stuff, so there's that. And she freezes Skye pre-death.

The Fifth Key somehow unites all of our heroes in a way that allows them
to talk to each other -- Q, Kady and Alice from the faux dorm house;
Margo and Eliot from the magic boat about to go over the waterfall;
Julia with Skye and Fen, wherever they are; Penny in the Underworld
Library -- and Q figures out that "unity" includes outsider Josh, as
well. All of which requires everyone to sing David Bowie's "Under
Pressure." Including Penny. Heh. Because this show is freaking awesome.
It works. Skye is saved and Team Q ends up back at the real dorm house,
where Julia joins them and they learn that it's time to face the next
chapter in the story.

In short, this one lacked a lot on the dialogue front but made up for it
with story advancement and with some musical accompaniment. Including,
of course, David Bowie. Is there anything that that man can't do, even
after death?

Grade: A

"Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's
occupant makes the rescue imperative." -- Lt. Gordon Malloy, THE ORVILLE

From: Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net>
From: Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 12:06:51 -0800
On 3/9/2018 11:49 AM, Jim G. wrote:
> Obveeus sent the following on 03/08/2018 at 06:49 AM:
>> What did you watch?
>
> THE X-FILES / 11x08 / Familiar
>
> [Mulder and Scully investigate the brutal animal attack of a little boy
> in Connecticut, while suspecting darker forces are at play.]
>
> After last week's absolute worst episode in the history of the series,
> the show rebounds with a strong outing that hits on many of the best
> notes of a classic standalone MotW episode from the show's heyday. A
> woman, embittered by her sheriff husband's infidelity, unleashes old
> dark magic in a small -- despite the apparent size of its police force
> -- Connecticut town. Along the way, Scully wants to accept the easy and
> obvious explanation, but Mulder is at his skeptical best in this one and
> proves to be correct. On a casting note, I've joked for years that Roger
> Cross, who seems to make it a point to show up on every Vancouver-based
> show ever made, had somehow missed his chance with THE X-FILES. Then the
> revival came along and here we are: Roger shows up as a cop. Good job,
> Roger and Roger's agent. Cross this one off your list. :)
>
> On a side note related to another thread, Mulder fires two warning shots
> into the air. :)
>
> Grade: A-

Are you sure he wasn't shooting at aliens?

instinct are running screaming.

Next <
From: "Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 11:01:48 -0600
Dimensional Traveler sent the following on 03/09/2018 at 02:06 PM:
> On 3/9/2018 11:49 AM, Jim G. wrote:
>> Obveeus sent the following on 03/08/2018 at 06:49 AM:
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> THE X-FILES / 11x08 / Familiar
>>
>> [Mulder and Scully investigate the brutal animal attack of a little boy
>> in Connecticut, while suspecting darker forces are at play.]
>>
>> After last week's absolute worst episode in the history of the series,
>> the show rebounds with a strong outing that hits on many of the best
>> notes of a classic standalone MotW episode from the show's heyday. A
>> woman, embittered by her sheriff husband's infidelity, unleashes old
>> dark magic in a small -- despite the apparent size of its police force
>> -- Connecticut town. Along the way, Scully wants to accept the easy and
>> obvious explanation, but Mulder is at his skeptical best in this one and
>> proves to be correct. On a casting note, I've joked for years that Roger
>> Cross, who seems to make it a point to show up on every Vancouver-based
>> show ever made, had somehow missed his chance with THE X-FILES. Then the
>> revival came along and here we are: Roger shows up as a cop. Good job,
>> Roger and Roger's agent. Cross this one off your list. :)
>>
>> On a side note related to another thread, Mulder fires two warning shots
>> into the air. :)
>>
>> Grade: A-
>>
> Are you sure he wasn't shooting at aliens?

Mulder would never put his besties at risk like that.