> Prev
From: ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <@ednolan>
Subject: Thor: Ragnarok -- Fun movie
Full headers:
From: ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: 4 Nov 2017 05:50:44 GMT
Once again a flawless execution of the Marvel style: frequent bits of
real humor embedded in a story about characters facing superhero level
problems.

I'd say it was easy since they've done it so many times, but apparently not
as others seem unable.

I'd say the only weak performance in the bunch was Cate Blanchett, but
as she was mostly the Mcguffin that didn't really hurt the film.

I did wonder: Where were the Warriors Three & Lady Sif during
crucial events.  That's from a comic point of view though -- they haven't
really figured too much in the movies.  Also I mostly read DC now, so
I don't know the current state of play in the Marvel comic universe, but
there was a pretty major event at the end of this installment that reminds
me a bit of the Adams Star Trek reboot.

Watch for the snake story.

Thumbs up!
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Subject: Re: Thor: Ragnarok -- Fun movie
From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2017 19:50:58 -0700
On 11/3/2017 10:50 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> Once again a flawless execution of the Marvel style: frequent bits of
> real humor embedded in a story about characters facing superhero level
> problems.
>
> I'd say it was easy since they've done it so many times, but apparently not
> as others seem unable.
>
> I'd say the only weak performance in the bunch was Cate Blanchett, but
> as she was mostly the Mcguffin that didn't really hurt the film.
>
> I did wonder: Where were the Warriors Three & Lady Sif during
> crucial events.

Uryn xvyyf Ibyfgntt naq Snaqeny jura fur svefg neevirf ba Nfthneq.  Fur
yngre xvyyf Ubtha jura ur fubjf hc yrnqvat gur zvyvgnel erfvfgnapr.
Ynql Fvs jnfa'g frra  fb fur jnf cerfhznoyl fnsr bss jbeyq.  Nygubhtu
fur jnf ersreraprq rneyl ba qhevat gur cynl.  SLV va gur pbzrqvp cynl,
Ybxv jnf cynlrq ol Zngg Qnzba,  Gube jnf cynlrq ol Urzfjbegu'f erny yvsr
oebgure Yhxr naq Bqva jnf cynlrq ol Fnz Arvy.

http://www.rot13.com/

From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2017 19:56:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
On Saturday, November 4, 2017 at 10:51:03 PM UTC-4, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

> Uryn xvyyf Ibyfgntt naq Snaqeny jura fur svefg neevirf ba Nfthneq.  Fur
> yngre xvyyf Ubtha jura ur fubjf hc yrnqvat gur zvyvgnel erfvfgnapr.
> Ynql Fvs jnfa'g frra  fb fur jnf cerfhznoyl fnsr bss jbeyq.  Nygubhtu
> fur jnf ersreraprq rneyl ba qhevat gur cynl.  SLV va gur pbzrqvp cynl,
> Ybxv jnf cynlrq ol Zngg Qnzba,  Gube jnf cynlrq ol Urzfjbegu'f erny yvsr
> oebgure Yhxr naq Bqva jnf cynlrq ol Fnz Arvy.
>
> http://www.rot13.com/

Clever. Maybe mPig can finally provide spoilers.

From: ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <@ednolan>
Full headers:
From: ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: 5 Nov 2017 03:03:17 GMT
In article <otluak$62i$1@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>On 11/3/2017 10:50 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> Once again a flawless execution of the Marvel style: frequent bits of
>> real humor embedded in a story about characters facing superhero level
>> problems.
>>
>> I'd say it was easy since they've done it so many times, but apparently not
>> as others seem unable.
>>
>> I'd say the only weak performance in the bunch was Cate Blanchett, but
>> as she was mostly the Mcguffin that didn't really hurt the film.
>>
>> I did wonder: Where were the Warriors Three & Lady Sif during
>> crucial events.
>

>Uryn xvyyf Ibyfgntt naq Snaqeny jura fur svefg neevirf ba Nfthneq.  Fur
>yngre xvyyf Ubtha jura ur fubjf hc yrnqvat gur zvyvgnel erfvfgnapr.

Ah, ok.  I totally missed the first two and wasn't sure if the third guy
was one or not.  Man, I always had a soft spot for old Ibyfgntt..
--
------
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Next <
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 08:43:37 -0500
On 11/4/2017 1:50 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> Once again a flawless execution of the Marvel style: frequent bits of
> real humor embedded in a story about characters facing superhero level
> problems.
>
> I'd say it was easy since they've done it so many times, but apparently not
> as others seem unable.
>
> I'd say the only weak performance in the bunch was Cate Blanchett, but
> as she was mostly the Mcguffin that didn't really hurt the film.
>
> I did wonder: Where were the Warriors Three & Lady Sif during
> crucial events.

The Warriors Three were in this film...no Lady Sif, though.  Maybe she
was in Seattle drinking coffee with Jane Foster?

>  That's from a comic point of view though -- they haven't
> really figured too much in the movies.  Also I mostly read DC now, so
> I don't know the current state of play in the Marvel comic universe, but
> there was a pretty major event at the end of this installment that reminds
> me a bit of the Adams Star Trek reboot.
>
> Watch for the snake story.
>
> Thumbs up!

I agree with everything you wrote above.

THOR RAGNAROK:  The 2017 film that serves as the third entry in this
Marvel series.  Most of the main characters are invulnerable so the
fight scenes are cartoon-y, but the plot is entertaining and keeps
moving and all the actors (except Cate Blanchett) are up to the task of
their slightly campy roles.  The story fills in what our returning
characters have been up to the last couple of years.  Tessa Thompson
(WESTWORLD, VERONICA MARS) was a nice addition to the series.
Entertaining film and a good addition to the Marvel cinematic universe.