> Prev
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: THE QUIET ONES (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 13:11:29 -0500
In 1974, it would appear that an experiment was begun at Oxford
University.  Its objective was to prove that supernatural events
surrounding a young mental patient were, in fact, "merely" paranormal
ones.  As a horror-movie premise, this already concedes the usual battle
between the real and the unreal ...nominally qualifying the movie more
as fantasy than as horror.  Still, THE QUIET ONES is indeed horror,
which you'll know because you've seen it all before.  Though the story
seems based on enough research that the filmmakers, including the
estimable Jared Harris, take it all quite seriously, the horror-fan may
well wish for more style and less substance.  Minimally recommended.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Subject: Re: THE QUIET ONES (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 14:05:39 -0600
On 11/5/2017 12:11 PM, moviePig wrote:

> In 1974, it would appear that an experiment was begun at Oxford
> University.  Its objective was to prove that supernatural events
> surrounding a young mental patient were, in fact, "merely" paranormal
> ones.  As a horror-movie premise, this already concedes the usual battle
> between the real and the unreal ...nominally qualifying the movie more
> as fantasy than as horror.  Still, THE QUIET ONES is indeed horror,
> which you'll know because you've seen it all before.  Though the story
> seems based on enough research that the filmmakers, including the
> estimable Jared Harris, take it all quite seriously, the horror-fan may
> well wish for more style and less substance.  Minimally recommended.

A great movie that was extremely well executed.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 15:23:55 -0500
On 11/5/2017 3:05 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 11/5/2017 12:11 PM, moviePig wrote:
>>
>> In 1974, it would appear that an experiment was begun at Oxford
>> University.  Its objective was to prove that supernatural events
>> surrounding a young mental patient were, in fact, "merely" paranormal
>> ones.  As a horror-movie premise, this already concedes the usual
>> battle between the real and the unreal ...nominally qualifying the
>> movie more as fantasy than as horror.  Still, THE QUIET ONES is indeed
>> horror, which you'll know because you've seen it all before.  Though
>> the story seems based on enough research that the filmmakers,
>> including the estimable Jared Harris, take it all quite seriously, the
>> horror-fan may well wish for more style and less substance.  Minimally
>> recommended.
>
> A great movie that was extremely well executed.

Though I liked its performers and even its tone well enough, I can give
it some respect for only its alleged authenticity.  But those neither
engaged nor scared me.  Meanwhile, for me, this flick was doubly hurt by
its PG-13 rating: first, I knew there'd be no seriously horrific stuff
despite how the aforementioned 'tone' seemed to promise some, and
second, there *was* no seriously horrific stuff.  And I don't understand
those decisions, as tQO's themes were decidedly non-juvenile...

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 14:38:45 -0600
On 11/5/2017 2:23 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/5/2017 3:05 PM, trotsky wrote:
>> On 11/5/2017 12:11 PM, moviePig wrote:
>>>
>>> In 1974, it would appear that an experiment was begun at Oxford
>>> University.  Its objective was to prove that supernatural events
>>> surrounding a young mental patient were, in fact, "merely" paranormal
>>> ones.  As a horror-movie premise, this already concedes the usual
>>> battle between the real and the unreal ...nominally qualifying the
>>> movie more as fantasy than as horror.  Still, THE QUIET ONES is
>>> indeed horror, which you'll know because you've seen it all before.
>>> Though the story seems based on enough research that the filmmakers,
>>> including the estimable Jared Harris, take it all quite seriously,
>>> the horror-fan may well wish for more style and less substance.
>>> Minimally recommended.
>>
>> A great movie that was extremely well executed.
>
> Though I liked its performers and even its tone well enough, I can give
> it some respect for only its alleged authenticity.  But those neither
> engaged nor scared me.  Meanwhile, for me, this flick was doubly hurt by
> its PG-13 rating: first, I knew there'd be no seriously horrific stuff
> despite how the aforementioned 'tone' seemed to promise some, and
> second, there *was* no seriously horrific stuff.  And I don't understand
> those decisions, as tQO's themes were decidedly non-juvenile...

You are so full of shit.  Have you never seen a Robert Wise movie?  Both
the original "The Haunting" and "The Andromeda Strain" were fantastic.
How about a James Whale movie?  How about "Nosferatu"?  Most of the
scariest movies I can name weren't rated "R".  That's a cop out for your
minimally recommended review.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 16:19:30 -0500
On 11/5/2017 3:38 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 11/5/2017 2:23 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>> A great movie that was extremely well executed.
>>
>> Though I liked its performers and even its tone well enough, I can
>> give it some respect for only its alleged authenticity.  But those
>> neither engaged nor scared me.  Meanwhile, for me, this flick was
>> doubly hurt by its PG-13 rating: first, I knew there'd be no seriously
>> horrific stuff despite how the aforementioned 'tone' seemed to promise
>> some, and second, there *was* no seriously horrific stuff.  And I
>> don't understand those decisions, as tQO's themes were decidedly
>> non-juvenile...
>
> You are so full of shit.  Have you never seen a Robert Wise movie?  Both
> the original "The Haunting" and "The Andromeda Strain" were fantastic.
> How about a James Whale movie?  How about "Nosferatu"?  Most of the
> scariest movies I can name weren't rated "R".  That's a cop out for your
> minimally recommended review.

Yes, your views on PG-13 horror are well known to most bipeds.  But
*this* movie would've been better to watch even if *only* its rating
were changed.  And, if Robert Wise made THE HAUNTING today, I'm
reasonably certain it'd be 'R' -- if only to keep the kids home.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 16:12:10 -0600
On 11/5/2017 3:19 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/5/2017 3:38 PM, trotsky wrote:
>> On 11/5/2017 2:23 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>> Though I liked its performers and even its tone well enough, I can
>>> give it some respect for only its alleged authenticity.  But those
>>> neither engaged nor scared me.  Meanwhile, for me, this flick was
>>> doubly hurt by its PG-13 rating: first, I knew there'd be no
>>> seriously horrific stuff despite how the aforementioned 'tone' seemed
>>> to promise some, and second, there *was* no seriously horrific
>>> stuff.  And I don't understand those decisions, as tQO's themes were
>>> decidedly non-juvenile...
>>
>> You are so full of shit.  Have you never seen a Robert Wise movie?
>> Both the original "The Haunting" and "The Andromeda Strain" were
>> fantastic. How about a James Whale movie?  How about "Nosferatu"?
>> Most of the scariest movies I can name weren't rated "R".  That's a
>> cop out for your minimally recommended review.
>
> Yes, your views on PG-13 horror are well known to most bipeds.  But
> *this* movie would've been better to watch even if *only* its rating
> were changed.  And, if Robert Wise made THE HAUNTING today, I'm
> reasonably certain it'd be 'R' -- if only to keep the kids home.

Address the larger point: are classic horror films such as
"Frankenstein" and "Nosferatu" scary or not?  Why not give an example of
similar movies where one was better because of the "R" rating, or even
the same movie that "better" because of the unrated version?  Do you
have any logic or reasoning attached to this opinion at all?

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 17:42:41 -0500
On 11/5/2017 5:12 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 11/5/2017 3:19 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>> You are so full of shit.  Have you never seen a Robert Wise movie?
>>> Both the original "The Haunting" and "The Andromeda Strain" were
>>> fantastic. How about a James Whale movie?  How about "Nosferatu"?
>>> Most of the scariest movies I can name weren't rated "R".  That's a
>>> cop out for your minimally recommended review.
>>
>> Yes, your views on PG-13 horror are well known to most bipeds.  But
>> *this* movie would've been better to watch even if *only* its rating
>> were changed.  And, if Robert Wise made THE HAUNTING today, I'm
>> reasonably certain it'd be 'R' -- if only to keep the kids home.
>
> Address the larger point: are classic horror films such as
> "Frankenstein" and "Nosferatu" scary or not?  Why not give an example of
> similar movies where one was better because of the "R" rating, or even
> the same movie that "better" because of the unrated version?  Do you
> have any logic or reasoning attached to this opinion at all?

No, not to modern audiences, those old films aren't especially scary.
More specifically, being scared by them requires a viewer who's
considerably more sophisticated and/or fluid than is normal.

For an example of the utility of the 'R'-rating, consider THE QUIET
ONES, along with two people who sit down to watch it.  Tell one of them
-- privately -- that this film will give them the worst nightmares
they've ever had.  But tell the other that, despite the setups,
everything that happens on-screen turns out to be rather tame.  Then
have them watch the movie, while you measure their respective pulses...

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 07:23:01 -0600
On 11/5/17 4:42 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/5/2017 5:12 PM, trotsky wrote:

>> Address the larger point: are classic horror films such as
>> "Frankenstein" and "Nosferatu" scary or not?  Why not give an example
>> of similar movies where one was better because of the "R" rating, or
>> even the same movie that "better" because of the unrated version?  Do
>> you have any logic or reasoning attached to this opinion at all?
>
> No, not to modern audiences, those old films aren't especially scary.
> More specifically, being scared by them requires a viewer who's
> considerably more sophisticated and/or fluid than is normal.
>
> For an example of the utility of the 'R'-rating, consider THE QUIET
> ONES, along with two people who sit down to watch it.  Tell one of them
> -- privately -- that this film will give them the worst nightmares
> they've ever had.  But tell the other that, despite the setups,
> everything that happens on-screen turns out to be rather tame.  Then
> have them watch the movie, while you measure their respective pulses...

"Scary" is of course subjective, but I believe the "R" rating you feel
means something just allows for more gore, which isn't particularly
scary if you've seen it before.  The other thing common in modern horror
is what's known as the "jump scare", a shot designed to make the
audience jump.  I rarely find those scary anymore.  When I do, I
actually feel surprised by the fact that I do.  So then we come to the
question "what is scary?"  Some people are afraid of spiders, so seeing
lots of spiders on screen would probably be scary.  So the larger point
is one that I bring up all the time, unless you establish a point of
reference your "mimimal recommendation" doesn't mean much.  You can say,
"I thought movie X was similar in theme, but was more scary because of
Y" where "Y" may or may not have something to do with an R rating.
While I'm writing this I'm trying to think what I would compare "The
Quiet Ones" to, because I seem to recall thinking that it reminded me of
other movies I didn't like as much, but I can't remember what they were.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 09:31:05 -0500
On 11/6/2017 8:23 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 11/5/17 4:42 PM, moviePig wrote:
>> On 11/5/2017 5:12 PM, trotsky wrote:
>
>>> Address the larger point: are classic horror films such as
>>> "Frankenstein" and "Nosferatu" scary or not?  Why not give an example
>>> of similar movies where one was better because of the "R" rating, or
>>> even the same movie that "better" because of the unrated version?  Do
>>> you have any logic or reasoning attached to this opinion at all?
>>
>> No, not to modern audiences, those old films aren't especially scary.
>> More specifically, being scared by them requires a viewer who's
>> considerably more sophisticated and/or fluid than is normal.
>>
>> For an example of the utility of the 'R'-rating, consider THE QUIET
>> ONES, along with two people who sit down to watch it.  Tell one of
>> them -- privately -- that this film will give them the worst
>> nightmares they've ever had.  But tell the other that, despite the
>> setups, everything that happens on-screen turns out to be rather
>> tame.  Then have them watch the movie, while you measure their
>> respective pulses...
>

> "Scary" is of course subjective, but I believe the "R" rating you feel
> means something just allows for more gore, which isn't particularly
> scary if you've seen it before.  The other thing common in modern horror
> is what's known as the "jump scare", a shot designed to make the
> audience jump.  I rarely find those scary anymore.  When I do, I
> actually feel surprised by the fact that I do.  So then we come to the
> question "what is scary?"  Some people are afraid of spiders, so seeing
> lots of spiders on screen would probably be scary.  So the larger point
> is one that I bring up all the time, unless you establish a point of
> reference your "mimimal recommendation" doesn't mean much.  You can say,
> "I thought movie X was similar in theme, but was more scary because of
> Y" where "Y" may or may not have something to do with an R rating. While
> I'm writing this I'm trying to think what I would compare "The Quiet
> Ones" to, because I seem to recall thinking that it reminded me of other
> movies I didn't like as much, but I can't remember what they were.

I'm talking about 'R' vs. 'PG-13' to the degree that they reflect their
nominal intent: "suitability" for particular ages.  I.e., I wouldn't
expect stuff that'd scare a 13-year-old to be as scary to a 50-year-old.

(Fwiw, tQO kept reminding me of John Carpenter's PRINCE OF DARKNESS.)

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 18:39:39 -0800 (PST)
From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 1:11:35 PM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:

> In 1974, it would appear that an experiment was begun at Oxford
> University.  Its objective was to prove that supernatural events
> surrounding a young mental patient were, in fact, "merely" paranormal
> ones.  As a horror-movie premise, this already concedes the usual battle
> between the real and the unreal ...nominally qualifying the movie more
> as fantasy than as horror.  Still, THE QUIET ONES is indeed horror,
> which you'll know because you've seen it all before.  Though the story
> seems based on enough research that the filmmakers, including the
> estimable Jared Harris, take it all quite seriously, the horror-fan may
> well wish for more style and less substance.  Minimally recommended.

Well produced hokum chatfest.

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 07:23:31 -0600
On 11/5/17 8:39 PM, william ahearn wrote:
> On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 1:11:35 PM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
>
>> In 1974, it would appear that an experiment was begun at Oxford
>> University.  Its objective was to prove that supernatural events
>> surrounding a young mental patient were, in fact, "merely" paranormal
>> ones.  As a horror-movie premise, this already concedes the usual battle
>> between the real and the unreal ...nominally qualifying the movie more
>> as fantasy than as horror.  Still, THE QUIET ONES is indeed horror,
>> which you'll know because you've seen it all before.  Though the story
>> seems based on enough research that the filmmakers, including the
>> estimable Jared Harris, take it all quite seriously, the horror-fan may
>> well wish for more style and less substance.  Minimally recommended.
>>
> Well produced hokum chatfest.

Please, the grown ups are talking.

From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 06:52:51 -0800 (PST)
From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 8:23:33 AM UTC-5, Greg Singh wrote:

> Please, the grown ups are talking.

I saw your review of A Cure For Wellness. It always makes me laugh. Grown up? I don't think so.

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 11:55:14 -0600
On 11/6/17 8:52 AM, william ahearn wrote:
> On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 8:23:33 AM UTC-5, Greg Singh wrote:
>
>> Please, the grown ups are talking.
>
> I saw your review of A Cure For Wellness. It always makes me laugh. Grown up? I don't think so.

I liked it.  I realize you inhabit a space where subjective
determinations falsely have objective criteria, but that's still a pile
of bullshit.

From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 10:07:05 -0800 (PST)
From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 12:55:17 PM UTC-5, Greg Singh wrote:

> I liked it.  I realize you inhabit a space where subjective
> determinations falsely have objective criteria, but that's still a pile
> of bullshit.

Actually, it isn't. What is a pile of shit is your need for attention by any means necessary. You're
the perfect replacement for calvin.

Next <
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 09:33:04 -0500
On 11/5/2017 9:39 PM, william ahearn wrote:
> On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 1:11:35 PM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
>
>> In 1974, it would appear that an experiment was begun at Oxford
>> University.  Its objective was to prove that supernatural events
>> surrounding a young mental patient were, in fact, "merely" paranormal
>> ones.  As a horror-movie premise, this already concedes the usual battle
>> between the real and the unreal ...nominally qualifying the movie more
>> as fantasy than as horror.  Still, THE QUIET ONES is indeed horror,
>> which you'll know because you've seen it all before.  Though the story
>> seems based on enough research that the filmmakers, including the
>> estimable Jared Harris, take it all quite seriously, the horror-fan may
>> well wish for more style and less substance.  Minimally recommended.
>>
> Well produced hokum chatfest.

I agree.  But the nice production set me up for greater disappointment.

--

   YOUR taste at work...