> Prev
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: WIND RIVER (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 09:21:07 -0500
The massive snowstorm that threatens Wyoming's already frozen WIND RIVER
reservation is just a head-fake (possibly owing to the story's basing on
"true events").  Instead, the movie follows the investigation -- mostly
outdoors -- of a grisly and heart-wrenching assault on a young Native
American woman.  Ranger/hunter Jeremy Renner leads the pursuit,
delivering epigrams both pithy and sententious, and there's a moralizing
end-title that's almost puzzling.  But, here, the story is the story,
and it's in expert -- if frostbitten - hands.  Solidly recommended.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: WIND RIVER (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 07:42:14 -0800 (PST)
From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 9:21:33 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:

> The massive snowstorm that threatens Wyoming's already frozen WIND RIVER
> reservation is just a head-fake (possibly owing to the story's basing on
> "true events").  Instead, the movie follows the investigation -- mostly
> outdoors -- of a grisly and heart-wrenching assault on a young Native
> American woman.  Ranger/hunter Jeremy Renner leads the pursuit,
> delivering epigrams both pithy and sententious, and there's a moralizing
> end-title that's almost puzzling.  But, here, the story is the story,
> and it's in expert -- if frostbitten - hands.  Solidly recommended.

Yeah, that needless end title bothered me as well. Ir could have been incorporated into the script.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 12:10:24 -0500
On 11/15/2017 10:42 AM, william ahearn wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 9:21:33 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
>
>> The massive snowstorm that threatens Wyoming's already frozen WIND RIVER
>> reservation is just a head-fake (possibly owing to the story's basing on
>> "true events").  Instead, the movie follows the investigation -- mostly
>> outdoors -- of a grisly and heart-wrenching assault on a young Native
>> American woman.  Ranger/hunter Jeremy Renner leads the pursuit,
>> delivering epigrams both pithy and sententious, and there's a moralizing
>> end-title that's almost puzzling.  But, here, the story is the story,
>> and it's in expert -- if frostbitten - hands.  Solidly recommended.
>>
> Yeah, that needless end title bothered me as well. Ir could have been incorporated into the script.

!!! SOME DESCRIPTION OF NARRATIVE STRUCTURE !!!

I was especially taken with the ballsy "cutaway" -- as she knocks on the
trailer door -- to the boyfriend answering it (and the progression of
scenes that followed).  Whoever came up with that very unconventional
yet inspired sequence has my admiration.  (If it's not fresh enough in
your mind, I'm happy to recap.)

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 19:14:28 -0600
On 11/15/2017 11:10 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/15/2017 10:42 AM, william ahearn wrote:
>> On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 9:21:33 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
>>
>>> The massive snowstorm that threatens Wyoming's already frozen WIND RIVER
>>> reservation is just a head-fake (possibly owing to the story's basing on
>>> "true events").  Instead, the movie follows the investigation -- mostly
>>> outdoors -- of a grisly and heart-wrenching assault on a young Native
>>> American woman.  Ranger/hunter Jeremy Renner leads the pursuit,
>>> delivering epigrams both pithy and sententious, and there's a moralizing
>>> end-title that's almost puzzling.  But, here, the story is the story,
>>> and it's in expert -- if frostbitten - hands.  Solidly recommended.
>>>
>> Yeah, that needless end title bothered me as well. Ir could have been
>> incorporated into the script.
>
> !!! SOME DESCRIPTION OF NARRATIVE STRUCTURE !!!
>
> I was especially taken with the ballsy "cutaway" -- as she knocks on the
> trailer door -- to the boyfriend answering it (and the progression of
> scenes that followed).  Whoever came up

You don't even know who made the movie?

---

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 22:09:57 -0500
On 11/15/2017 8:14 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 11/15/2017 11:10 AM, moviePig wrote:

>>> Yeah, that needless end title bothered me as well. Ir could have been
>>> incorporated into the script.
>>
>> !!! SOME DESCRIPTION OF NARRATIVE STRUCTURE !!!
>>
>> I was especially taken with the ballsy "cutaway" -- as she knocks on
>> the trailer door -- to the boyfriend answering it (and the progression
>> of scenes that followed).  Whoever came up
>
> You don't even know who made the movie?

For that particular flourish, I don't know whether to credit the
director, the screenwriter, the editor, or even someone else...

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 04:07:56 -0600
On 11/15/17 9:09 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/15/2017 8:14 PM, trotsky wrote:

>>> !!! SOME DESCRIPTION OF NARRATIVE STRUCTURE !!!
>>>
>>> I was especially taken with the ballsy "cutaway" -- as she knocks on
>>> the trailer door -- to the boyfriend answering it (and the
>>> progression of scenes that followed).  Whoever came up
>>
>> You don't even know who made the movie?
>
> For that particular flourish, I don't know whether to credit the
> director, the screenwriter, the editor, or even someone else...

If it helps at all, Taylor Sheridan didn't edit the movie.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 09:31:14 -0500
On 11/16/2017 5:07 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 11/15/17 9:09 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>> You don't even know who made the movie?
>>
>> For that particular flourish, I don't know whether to credit the
>> director, the screenwriter, the editor, or even someone else...
>
> If it helps at all, Taylor Sheridan didn't edit the movie.

It wouldn't help if he did, and catered too.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 10:44:36 -0600
On 11/16/17 8:31 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/16/2017 5:07 AM, trotsky wrote:

>>> For that particular flourish, I don't know whether to credit the
>>> director, the screenwriter, the editor, or even someone else...
>>
>> If it helps at all, Taylor Sheridan didn't edit the movie.
>
> It wouldn't help if he did, and catered too.

If your referring to fixing your smallmindedness I wholeheartedly agree.
  Beyond that I still can't decipher what you're trying to say.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 11:52:28 -0500
On 11/16/2017 11:44 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 11/16/17 8:31 AM, moviePig wrote:

>>> If it helps at all, Taylor Sheridan didn't edit the movie.
>>
>> It wouldn't help if he did, and catered too.
>
> If your referring to fixing your smallmindedness I wholeheartedly agree.
>   Beyond that I still can't decipher what you're trying to say.

There was, imo, a particularly nice and rather unconventional narrative
choice in this movie, but I find it hard to guess at when -- i.e., in
what phase(s) of the production -- it was made.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 18:14:04 -0600
On 11/16/2017 10:52 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/16/2017 11:44 AM, trotsky wrote:

>>> It wouldn't help if he did, and catered too.
>>
>> If your referring to fixing your smallmindedness I wholeheartedly
>> agree.   Beyond that I still can't decipher what you're trying to say.
>
> There was, imo, a particularly nice and rather unconventional narrative
> choice in this movie, but I find it hard to guess at when -- i.e., in
> what phase(s) of the production -- it was made.

It was obviously in the script, but it stick out like a mildly sore thumb.

---

From: reilloc <reilloc@gmail.com>
Full headers:
From: reilloc <reilloc@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 21:24:38 -0600
On 11/15/2017 11:10 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/15/2017 10:42 AM, william ahearn wrote:
>> On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 9:21:33 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
>>
>>> The massive snowstorm that threatens Wyoming's already frozen WIND RIVER
>>> reservation is just a head-fake (possibly owing to the story's basing on
>>> "true events").  Instead, the movie follows the investigation -- mostly
>>> outdoors -- of a grisly and heart-wrenching assault on a young Native
>>> American woman.  Ranger/hunter Jeremy Renner leads the pursuit,
>>> delivering epigrams both pithy and sententious, and there's a moralizing
>>> end-title that's almost puzzling.  But, here, the story is the story,
>>> and it's in expert -- if frostbitten - hands.  Solidly recommended.
>>>
>> Yeah, that needless end title bothered me as well. Ir could have been
>> incorporated into the script.
>
> !!! SOME DESCRIPTION OF NARRATIVE STRUCTURE !!!
>
> I was especially taken with the ballsy "cutaway" -- as she knocks on the
> trailer door -- to the boyfriend answering it (and the progression of
> scenes that followed).  Whoever came up with that very unconventional
> yet inspired sequence has my admiration.  (If it's not fresh enough in
> your mind, I'm happy to recap.)

Ballsy, eh? Cheap? It's somewhere between the two. Technically, it's
cheating: because no law-enforcement character knows what happened
inside the trailer it can't tie a neat ribbon around the investigation
or resolution (many dead bad guys), and comes off as a crutch for the
audience, a group of people who are always presumed to be wanting to be
led by the nose to a reason they ought to hate somebody and not flinch
so much at that somebody's bloody death.

Theatrically, it's been done before--I just can't tell you when.

Damn movie looks like it was living hell to make and I liked that the
cops had to clean out two trailers packed with soulless animals that
needed killing.

LNC

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 09:19:28 -0500
On 11/20/2017 10:24 PM, reilloc wrote:
> On 11/15/2017 11:10 AM, moviePig wrote:

>>> Yeah, that needless end title bothered me as well. Ir could have been
>>> incorporated into the script.
>>
>> !!! SOME DESCRIPTION OF NARRATIVE STRUCTURE !!!
>>
>> I was especially taken with the ballsy "cutaway" -- as she knocks on
>> the trailer door -- to the boyfriend answering it (and the progression
>> of scenes that followed).  Whoever came up with that very
>> unconventional yet inspired sequence has my admiration.  (If it's not
>> fresh enough in your mind, I'm happy to recap.)
>>

> Ballsy, eh? Cheap? It's somewhere between the two. Technically, it's
> cheating: because no law-enforcement character knows what happened
> inside the trailer it can't tie a neat ribbon around the investigation
> or resolution (many dead bad guys), and comes off as a crutch for the
> audience, a group of people who are always presumed to be wanting to be
> led by the nose to a reason they ought to hate somebody and not flinch
> so much at that somebody's bloody death.
>
> Theatrically, it's been done before--I just can't tell you when.
>
> Damn movie looks like it was living hell to make and I liked that the
> cops had to clean out two trailers packed with soulless animals that
> needed killing.

Yeah, I appreciated it as a storytelling flourish, for doing the things
you list (...beginning with the elaborate head-fake shootout that
*almost* occurs just before she gets to the door, which, being quelled
by cooler heads, makes us relax on that front.)

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 19:13:26 -0600
On 11/15/2017 8:21 AM, moviePig wrote:

> The massive snowstorm that threatens Wyoming's already frozen WIND RIVER
> reservation is just a head-fake (possibly owing to the story's basing on
> "true events").  Instead, the movie follows the investigation -- mostly
> outdoors -- of a grisly and heart-wrenching assault on a young Native
> American woman.  Ranger/hunter Jeremy Renner leads the pursuit,
> delivering epigrams both pithy and sententious, and there's a moralizing
> end-title that's almost puzzling.  But, here, the story is the story,
> and it's in expert -- if frostbitten - hands.  Solidly recommended.

Decent review that completely misses the theme of the plight of the
Native American.  This is a scathing indictment of the lives their
forced to lead, and it's depressing as hell but it's well done and still
extremely interesting to watch.  You're two for two as far as Sheridan
is concerned.

---

From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 17:32:40 -0800 (PST)
From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 8:13:26 PM UTC-5, Greg Singh wrote:

> Decent review that completely misses the theme of the plight of the
> Native American.

Here we go again. Good thing you didn't call it a little movie.

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 04:06:12 -0600
On 11/15/17 7:32 PM, william ahearn wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 8:13:26 PM UTC-5, Greg Singh wrote:
>>>

>> Decent review that completely misses the theme of the plight of the
>> Native American.
>
> Here we go again. Good thing you didn't call it a little movie.

It wouldn't matter.  You lack the mental capacity to discuss a film's
theme(s) too.  Agree or disagree?

Next <
From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 09:03:49 -0800 (PST)
From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 5:06:14 AM UTC-5, Greg Singh wrote:

> It wouldn't matter.  You lack the mental capacity to discuss a film's
> theme(s) too.  Agree or disagree?

I wouldn't discuss anything with an angry troll.