> Prev
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: MUDBOUND (no spoilers)
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 09:31:03 -0500
MUDBOUND: A 2017 Netflix original film.  Set in/after WWII, this film
follows a group of farmers in Mississippi.  Carey Mulligan (AN
EDUCATION), Jason Clark (BROTHERHOOD), Garrett Hedlund (TRON LEGACY),
and Johnathan Banks (BREAKING BAD) star as a white family full of racism
and education without common sense. Rob Morgan (DAREDEVIL), Jason
Mitchell (THE CHI), and Mary J. Blige (singer) star as a black family
just trying to get by as tenant farmers.  At various times, each of the
characters becomes the narrator of the story so that the viewer can gain
some insight on their perspective.  This was a slow paced, but well done
film.  I enjoyed it even as it is an 'awards worthy' targeted effort.
However, I'm not sure I quite understood the change from the start to
the finish as that seemed to be more than perspective...perhaps an
ethereal bit of hope for the viewer?

Currently 97% at Rottentomatoes (with 96 of 99 Fresh reviews).

Next <
From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: MUDBOUND (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 09:05:49 -0800 (PST)
From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 9:31:04 AM UTC-5, Obveeus wrote:

> MUDBOUND: A 2017 Netflix original film.  Set in/after WWII, this film
> follows a group of farmers in Mississippi.  Carey Mulligan (AN
> EDUCATION), Jason Clark (BROTHERHOOD), Garrett Hedlund (TRON LEGACY),
> and Johnathan Banks (BREAKING BAD) star as a white family full of racism
> and education without common sense. Rob Morgan (DAREDEVIL), Jason
> Mitchell (THE CHI), and Mary J. Blige (singer) star as a black family
> just trying to get by as tenant farmers.  At various times, each of the
> characters becomes the narrator of the story so that the viewer can gain
> some insight on their perspective.  This was a slow paced, but well done
> film.  I enjoyed it even as it is an 'awards worthy' targeted effort.
> However, I'm not sure I quite understood the change from the start to
> the finish as that seemed to be more than perspective...perhaps an
> ethereal bit of hope for the viewer?

Been thinking about seeing this. Thanks.