> Prev
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: YOUR NAME (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 09:53:16 -0500
A high-school boy and girl, miles apart, find they've switched bodies.
The hand-drawn fantasy drama YOUR NAME is more than rewarding to look
at, as both the complexity and scope of its story are a year or two
above the adolescent demo typical of anime.  Fans of this stuff may well
be (and apparently are) thrilled.  For me, though, a couple more years
of age-level are needed for an entry in this genre be an unqualified
must-see.  Admittedly, those twain may never meet.  Mostly recommended.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: YOUR NAME (no spoilers)
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 09:57:54 -0500
On 12/1/2017 9:53 AM, moviePig wrote:

> A high-school boy and girl, miles apart, find they've switched bodies.
> The hand-drawn fantasy drama YOUR NAME is more than rewarding to look
> at, as both the complexity and scope of its story are a year or two
> above the adolescent demo typical of anime.  Fans of this stuff may well
> be (and apparently are) thrilled.  For me, though, a couple more years
> of age-level are needed for an entry in this genre be an unqualified
> must-see.  Admittedly, those twain may never meet.  Mostly recommended.

What I wrote last month:
YOUR NAME.:  A 2016 animated feature from Japan.  The story starts off
looking like it will follow one of those standard film tropes/themes
that we have seen a dozen or more times before.  It does take a bit of a
sci-fi (and I use that term loosely) twist and adds some depth as it
goes.  The animation here is a bit generic feeling, but it is certainly
well done.  The story feels abridged at times, as though they wanted to
keep the film under 2 hours and had to cut some transitional bits for
time.  Still, this is a good film and certainly worth watching,
especially for those looking for family friendly fare.  The IMDB score
stands at 8.5 and this film earned over $350million at the box office
even though it was limited to only $5million domestically.  I have to
attribute the US non-interest as a product of the film choosing not to
use a bunch of famous American actors as voice cast.  Well, that and the
tiny FUNimation studio backing.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 10:12:16 -0500
On 12/1/2017 9:57 AM, Obveeus wrote:

> On 12/1/2017 9:53 AM, moviePig wrote:
>>
>> A high-school boy and girl, miles apart, find they've switched bodies.
>> The hand-drawn fantasy drama YOUR NAME is more than rewarding to look
>> at, as both the complexity and scope of its story are a year or two
>> above the adolescent demo typical of anime.  Fans of this stuff may
>> well be (and apparently are) thrilled.  For me, though, a couple more
>> years of age-level are needed for an entry in this genre be an
>> unqualified must-see.  Admittedly, those twain may never meet.  Mostly
>> recommended.
>
> What I wrote last month:
> YOUR NAME.:  A 2016 animated feature from Japan.  The story starts off
> looking like it will follow one of those standard film tropes/themes
> that we have seen a dozen or more times before.  It does take a bit of a
> sci-fi (and I use that term loosely) twist and adds some depth as it
> goes.  The animation here is a bit generic feeling, but it is certainly
> well done.  The story feels abridged at times, as though they wanted to
> keep the film under 2 hours and had to cut some transitional bits for
> time.  Still, this is a good film and certainly worth watching,
> especially for those looking for family friendly fare.  The IMDB score
> stands at 8.5 and this film earned over $350million at the box office
> even though it was limited to only $5million domestically.  I have to
> attribute the US non-interest as a product of the film choosing not to
> use a bunch of famous American actors as voice cast.  Well, that and the
> tiny FUNimation studio backing.

Yeah, I remember reading that now -- might've put me onto the movie.  It
is interesting to estimate the box-office had they gone with name-voices
(though I don't know what well-knowns could credibly do high-school).
Meanwhile, I'm guessing I liked the visuals more than you did, with its
wonderful little throwaways and minimalisms.  Re 'family fare', I was
surprised to see such frank boob-groping in a 'PG' (but noted the
obverse handled so deferentially that I didn't get what was going on).

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 10:21:33 -0500
On 12/1/2017 10:12 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 12/1/2017 9:57 AM, Obveeus wrote:
>>

>> On 12/1/2017 9:53 AM, moviePig wrote:
>>>
>>> A high-school boy and girl, miles apart, find they've switched
>>> bodies. The hand-drawn fantasy drama YOUR NAME is more than rewarding
>>> to look at, as both the complexity and scope of its story are a year
>>> or two above the adolescent demo typical of anime.  Fans of this
>>> stuff may well be (and apparently are) thrilled.  For me, though, a
>>> couple more years of age-level are needed for an entry in this genre
>>> be an unqualified must-see.  Admittedly, those twain may never meet.
>>> Mostly recommended.
>>
>> What I wrote last month:
>> YOUR NAME.:  A 2016 animated feature from Japan.  The story starts off
>> looking like it will follow one of those standard film tropes/themes
>> that we have seen a dozen or more times before.  It does take a bit of
>> a sci-fi (and I use that term loosely) twist and adds some depth as it
>> goes.  The animation here is a bit generic feeling, but it is
>> certainly well done.  The story feels abridged at times, as though
>> they wanted to keep the film under 2 hours and had to cut some
>> transitional bits for time.  Still, this is a good film and certainly
>> worth watching, especially for those looking for family friendly
>> fare.  The IMDB score stands at 8.5 and this film earned over
>> $350million at the box office even though it was limited to only
>> $5million domestically.  I have to attribute the US non-interest as a
>> product of the film choosing not to use a bunch of famous American
>> actors as voice cast.  Well, that and the tiny FUNimation studio backing.
>
> Yeah, I remember reading that now -- might've put me onto the movie.  It
> is interesting to estimate the box-office had they gone with name-voices
> (though I don't know what well-knowns could credibly do high-school).

Given how many 25-30 year olds are doing high school 'credibly' in live
action TV/film, I'd imagine they wouldn't have too many problems finding
voices.

> Meanwhile, I'm guessing I liked the visuals more than you did, with its
> wonderful little throwaways and minimalisms.

There were times when I really liked the animation, times when I
*really* missed the Hayeo Miyazaki style drawing rather than comic book
line art, and times when I was just disappointed at how much the
animation looked like generic TV anime from Japan.

>  Re 'family fare', I was
> surprised to see such frank boob-groping in a 'PG' (but noted the
> obverse handled so deferentially that I didn't get what was going on).

Boob-groping is probably ok in a PG film when done as comedy...and when
it is a solo act...and when it is not real flesh.

Next <
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 12:06:19 -0500
On 12/1/2017 10:21 AM, Obveeus wrote:

> On 12/1/2017 10:12 AM, moviePig wrote:

>>> What I wrote last month:
>>> YOUR NAME.:  A 2016 animated feature from Japan.  The story starts
>>> off looking like it will follow one of those standard film
>>> tropes/themes that we have seen a dozen or more times before.  It
>>> does take a bit of a sci-fi (and I use that term loosely) twist and
>>> adds some depth as it goes.  The animation here is a bit generic
>>> feeling, but it is certainly well done.  The story feels abridged at
>>> times, as though they wanted to keep the film under 2 hours and had
>>> to cut some transitional bits for time.  Still, this is a good film
>>> and certainly worth watching, especially for those looking for family
>>> friendly fare.  The IMDB score stands at 8.5 and this film earned
>>> over $350million at the box office even though it was limited to only
>>> $5million domestically.  I have to attribute the US non-interest as a
>>> product of the film choosing not to use a bunch of famous American
>>> actors as voice cast.  Well, that and the tiny FUNimation studio
>>> backing.
>>
>> Yeah, I remember reading that now -- might've put me onto the movie.
>> It is interesting to estimate the box-office had they gone with
>> name-voices (though I don't know what well-knowns could credibly do
>> high-school).
>
> Given how many 25-30 year olds are doing high school 'credibly' in live
> action TV/film, I'd imagine they wouldn't have too many problems finding
> voices.
>
>> Meanwhile, I'm guessing I liked the visuals more than you did, with
>> its wonderful little throwaways and minimalisms.
>
> There were times when I really liked the animation, times when I
> *really* missed the Hayeo Miyazaki style drawing rather than comic book
> line art, and times when I was just disappointed at how much the
> animation looked like generic TV anime from Japan.
>
>>   Re 'family fare', I was surprised to see such frank boob-groping in
>> a 'PG' (but noted the obverse handled so deferentially that I didn't
>> get what was going on).
>
> Boob-groping is probably ok in a PG film when done as comedy...and when
> it is a solo act...and when it is not real flesh.

Of course, those particular scenes in this particular movie were a bit
solo-challenged...

--

   YOUR taste at work...