> Prev
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: THE FUNDAMENTALS OF CARING (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 13:28:00 -0500
Trying to re-balance his own life, Paul Rudd takes a job as the
professional caregiver to an 18-year-old wiseacre paraplegic.  THE
FUNDAMENTALS OF CARING is more snappy than sappy, staying mercifully dry
through the maudlin swamps this kind of comedy invariably must
negotiate.  However, its story is also a rather slight one -- making the
flick, though quite agreeable, not compulsory.  Mostly recommended.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: THE FUNDAMENTALS OF CARING (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 10:37:22 -0800 (PST)
From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.arts.movies.current-films/...

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 13:56:55 -0500
On 12/5/2017 1:37 PM, william ahearn wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 1:28:05 PM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
>> Trying to re-balance his own life, Paul Rudd takes a job as the
>> professional caregiver to an 18-year-old wiseacre paraplegic.  THE
>> FUNDAMENTALS OF CARING is more snappy than sappy, staying mercifully dry
>> through the maudlin swamps this kind of comedy invariably must
>> negotiate.  However, its story is also a rather slight one -- making the
>> flick, though quite agreeable, not compulsory.  Mostly recommended.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.arts.movies.current-films/...

....when a movie not fucking up makes it a standout.  Rudd's persona is
usually a quiet one anyway, and here he almost vanishes even when he's
onscreen.  Deliberate and generous, I think.  (I thought he'd even taken
second billing, but no, he merely shared the top.)

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 13:55:24 -0500
On 12/5/2017 1:28 PM, moviePig wrote:

> Trying to re-balance his own life, Paul Rudd takes a job as the
> professional caregiver to an 18-year-old wiseacre paraplegic.  THE
> FUNDAMENTALS OF CARING is more snappy than sappy, staying mercifully dry
> through the maudlin swamps this kind of comedy invariably must
> negotiate.  However, its story is also a rather slight one -- making the
> flick, though quite agreeable, not compulsory.  Mostly recommended.

My response back in mid 2016 was:
QUOTE:
THE FUNDAMENTALS OF CARING:  A 2016 film based upon a book.  Paul Rudd
stars as a caregiver to Craig Roberts and both men are rather grumpy
about their lives.  In time, they take a road trip and along the way
meet Selena Gomez, Bobby Cannavale, and Megan Ferguson.  For a drama
about illness and loss and such, this film had a lot of humor and was
worth watching.  Additionally, there was one plot twist that hit much
harder because of recent stories in the news.
:UNQUOTE

....and now, for the life of me, I cannot remember the 'plot twist' that
had to do with recent news stories.

Next <
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 14:02:20 -0500
On 12/5/2017 1:55 PM, Obveeus wrote:

> On 12/5/2017 1:28 PM, moviePig wrote:
>>
>> Trying to re-balance his own life, Paul Rudd takes a job as the
>> professional caregiver to an 18-year-old wiseacre paraplegic.  THE
>> FUNDAMENTALS OF CARING is more snappy than sappy, staying mercifully
>> dry through the maudlin swamps this kind of comedy invariably must
>> negotiate.  However, its story is also a rather slight one -- making
>> the flick, though quite agreeable, not compulsory.  Mostly recommended.
>
> My response back in mid 2016 was:
> QUOTE:
> THE FUNDAMENTALS OF CARING:  A 2016 film based upon a book.  Paul Rudd
> stars as a caregiver to Craig Roberts and both men are rather grumpy
> about their lives.  In time, they take a road trip and along the way
> meet Selena Gomez, Bobby Cannavale, and Megan Ferguson.  For a drama
> about illness and loss and such, this film had a lot of humor and was
> worth watching.  Additionally, there was one plot twist that hit much
> harder because of recent stories in the news.
> :UNQUOTE
>
> ...and now, for the life of me, I cannot remember the 'plot twist' that
> had to do with recent news stories.

Must've had to do with disease or irresponsible care of a young child.
Never a shortage of gawk... I mean, human interest stories about those.

--

   YOUR taste at work...