> Prev
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Subject: Will Smith's "Bright" a disaster in the making
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 17:24:26 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=R148WqGxDMSpjwSYt7uICw...

Can't even find it on Rottentomatoes.com which is very interesting.  Paid-off to bury it?

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Will Smith's "Bright" a disaster in the making
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 23:11:56 -0500
On 12/21/2017 8:24 PM, RichA wrote:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=R148WqGxDMSpjwSYt7uICw...

> Can't even find it on Rottentomatoes.com which is very interesting.  Paid-off to bury it?

I'll skip making the obvious joke about why you cannot find BRIGHT.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bright

From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 18:27:40 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Thursday, 21 December 2017 23:11:58 UTC-5, Obveeus  wrote:
> On 12/21/2017 8:24 PM, RichA wrote:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=R148WqGxDMSpjwSYt7uICw...

> > Can't even find it on Rottentomatoes.com which is very interesting.  Paid-off to bury it?
>
> I'll skip making the obvious joke about why you cannot find BRIGHT.
>
> https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bright

Not there when I looked.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 22:29:49 -0500
On 12/22/2017 9:27 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Thursday, 21 December 2017 23:11:58 UTC-5, Obveeus  wrote:
>> On 12/21/2017 8:24 PM, RichA wrote:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=R148WqGxDMSpjwSYt7uICw...

>>> Can't even find it on Rottentomatoes.com which is very interesting.  Paid-off to bury it?
>>
>> I'll skip making the obvious joke about why you cannot find BRIGHT.
>>
>> https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bright
>
> Not there when I looked.

Odd since it was there a day before your post when I looked.

As for the film, it is much better than the rottentomato reviews would
have you believe.  Perhaps the film side of the reviewer world is still
smarting from the idea that evil Netflix will convince people to watch
films in the comfort of their own home instead of the theater?  BRIGHT
is not the crime procedural I feared it might be.  It is a bit of
sci-fi, but it is just as much alt.history as sci-fi.  Mostly, though,
it is a buddy cop flick in the vein of 40 HOURS or BEVERLY HILLS COP.  I
know some reviewers don't like the idea of sci-fi having any nudity or
swear words, but really there isn't even much of that...and certainly
not so much that it should have been a problem for sci-fi viewers.
Maybe they were worried about their 8 year old kid's fragile ears and
eyes?  Whatever the case, the film is entertaining and manages a bit of
funny and a bit of social preaching.  Some of the transitions are a bit
rough and the fight sequences are definitely a bit too filled with quick
cuts and wire work and such, but the plot is solid enough and does its
job creating characters and a world that is interesting and in focus
enough to warrant a sequel.

From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 23:28:00 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Friday, 22 December 2017 22:30:17 UTC-5, Obveeus  wrote:
> On 12/22/2017 9:27 PM, RichA wrote:
> > On Thursday, 21 December 2017 23:11:58 UTC-5, Obveeus  wrote:
> >> On 12/21/2017 8:24 PM, RichA wrote:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=R148WqGxDMSpjwSYt7uICw...

> >> I'll skip making the obvious joke about why you cannot find BRIGHT.
> >>
> >> https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bright
> >
> > Not there when I looked.
>
> Odd since it was there a day before your post when I looked.
>
> As for the film, it is much better than the rottentomato reviews would
> have you believe.  Perhaps the film side of the reviewer world is still
> smarting from the idea that evil Netflix will convince people to watch
> films in the comfort of their own home instead of the theater?  BRIGHT
> is not the crime procedural I feared it might be.  It is a bit of
> sci-fi, but it is just as much alt.history as sci-fi.  Mostly, though,
> it is a buddy cop flick in the vein of 40 HOURS or BEVERLY HILLS COP.  I
> know some reviewers don't like the idea of sci-fi having any nudity or
> swear words, but really there isn't even much of that...and certainly
> not so much that it should have been a problem for sci-fi viewers.
> Maybe they were worried about their 8 year old kid's fragile ears and
> eyes?  Whatever the case, the film is entertaining and manages a bit of
> funny and a bit of social preaching.  Some of the transitions are a bit
> rough and the fight sequences are definitely a bit too filled with quick
> cuts and wire work and such, but the plot is solid enough and does its
> job creating characters and a world that is interesting and in focus
> enough to warrant a sequel.

It seems like "Alien Nation" again.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 07:57:14 -0500
On 12/23/2017 2:28 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Friday, 22 December 2017 22:30:17 UTC-5, Obveeus  wrote:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=R148WqGxDMSpjwSYt7uICw...

>>> Not there when I looked.
>>
>> Odd since it was there a day before your post when I looked.
>>
>> As for the film, it is much better than the rottentomato reviews would
>> have you believe.  Perhaps the film side of the reviewer world is still
>> smarting from the idea that evil Netflix will convince people to watch
>> films in the comfort of their own home instead of the theater?  BRIGHT
>> is not the crime procedural I feared it might be.  It is a bit of
>> sci-fi, but it is just as much alt.history as sci-fi.  Mostly, though,
>> it is a buddy cop flick in the vein of 40 HOURS or BEVERLY HILLS COP.  I
>> know some reviewers don't like the idea of sci-fi having any nudity or
>> swear words, but really there isn't even much of that...and certainly
>> not so much that it should have been a problem for sci-fi viewers.
>> Maybe they were worried about their 8 year old kid's fragile ears and
>> eyes?  Whatever the case, the film is entertaining and manages a bit of
>> funny and a bit of social preaching.  Some of the transitions are a bit
>> rough and the fight sequences are definitely a bit too filled with quick
>> cuts and wire work and such, but the plot is solid enough and does its
>> job creating characters and a world that is interesting and in focus
>> enough to warrant a sequel.
>
> It seems like "Alien Nation" again.

It did have some ALIEN NATION feel to it and that was a good thing.  I
actually would have preferred even more of an ALIEN NATION vibe than it
had since that was what I was hoping for.

Side note:  At least the reviewers haven't scared people away from the
film.  IMDB shows that 11,000+ people watched and rated it
yesterday...and the ratings are all skewed towards the top half of the
spectrum without looking like a bunch of relatives just chimed in with
obligatory 10s.

From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2017 19:09:23 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Saturday, 23 December 2017 07:57:15 UTC-5, Obveeus  wrote:
> On 12/23/2017 2:28 AM, RichA wrote:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=R148WqGxDMSpjwSYt7uICw...

> >> Odd since it was there a day before your post when I looked.
> >>
> >> As for the film, it is much better than the rottentomato reviews would
> >> have you believe.  Perhaps the film side of the reviewer world is still
> >> smarting from the idea that evil Netflix will convince people to watch
> >> films in the comfort of their own home instead of the theater?  BRIGHT
> >> is not the crime procedural I feared it might be.  It is a bit of
> >> sci-fi, but it is just as much alt.history as sci-fi.  Mostly, though,
> >> it is a buddy cop flick in the vein of 40 HOURS or BEVERLY HILLS COP.  I
> >> know some reviewers don't like the idea of sci-fi having any nudity or
> >> swear words, but really there isn't even much of that...and certainly
> >> not so much that it should have been a problem for sci-fi viewers.
> >> Maybe they were worried about their 8 year old kid's fragile ears and
> >> eyes?  Whatever the case, the film is entertaining and manages a bit of
> >> funny and a bit of social preaching.  Some of the transitions are a bit
> >> rough and the fight sequences are definitely a bit too filled with quick
> >> cuts and wire work and such, but the plot is solid enough and does its
> >> job creating characters and a world that is interesting and in focus
> >> enough to warrant a sequel.
> >
> > It seems like "Alien Nation" again.
>
> It did have some ALIEN NATION feel to it and that was a good thing.  I
> actually would have preferred even more of an ALIEN NATION vibe than it
> had since that was what I was hoping for.
>
> Side note:  At least the reviewers haven't scared people away from the
> film.  IMDB shows that 11,000+ people watched and rated it
> yesterday...and the ratings are all skewed towards the top half of the
> spectrum without looking like a bunch of relatives just chimed in with
> obligatory 10s.

Netflix has $90M riding on it, not including whatever promotion cost.  I'm sure they hired a few
homeless to salt the mine.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 00:43:21 -0500
On 12/25/2017 10:09 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 December 2017 07:57:15 UTC-5, Obveeus  wrote:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=R148WqGxDMSpjwSYt7uICw...

>>> It seems like "Alien Nation" again.
>>
>> It did have some ALIEN NATION feel to it and that was a good thing.  I
>> actually would have preferred even more of an ALIEN NATION vibe than it
>> had since that was what I was hoping for.
>>
>> Side note:  At least the reviewers haven't scared people away from the
>> film.  IMDB shows that 11,000+ people watched and rated it
>> yesterday...and the ratings are all skewed towards the top half of the
>> spectrum without looking like a bunch of relatives just chimed in with
>> obligatory 10s.
>
> Netflix has $90M riding on it, not including whatever promotion cost.  I'm sure they hired a few
homeless to salt the mine.

Salt the mine?  You think Netflix is hiring homeless people to set up
IMDB accounts?  Checking...over 35,000 ratings on IMDB now.

From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 01:19:40 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Tuesday, 26 December 2017 00:43:25 UTC-5, Obveeus  wrote:
> On 12/25/2017 10:09 PM, RichA wrote:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=R148WqGxDMSpjwSYt7uICw...

> >> It did have some ALIEN NATION feel to it and that was a good thing.  I
> >> actually would have preferred even more of an ALIEN NATION vibe than it
> >> had since that was what I was hoping for.
> >>
> >> Side note:  At least the reviewers haven't scared people away from the
> >> film.  IMDB shows that 11,000+ people watched and rated it
> >> yesterday...and the ratings are all skewed towards the top half of the
> >> spectrum without looking like a bunch of relatives just chimed in with
> >> obligatory 10s.
> >
> > Netflix has $90M riding on it, not including whatever promotion cost.  I'm sure they hired a few
homeless to salt the mine.

> Salt the mine?  You think Netflix is hiring homeless people to set up
> IMDB accounts?  Checking...over 35,000 ratings on IMDB now.

No, they'd hire "content producers" (filler-people, people who normally churn-out inane articles to
fill websites, no shortage of liberal arts grads who need the money) to open multiple accounts.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 09:17:09 -0500
On 12/26/2017 4:19 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 December 2017 00:43:25 UTC-5, Obveeus  wrote:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=R148WqGxDMSpjwSYt7uICw...

>>> Netflix has $90M riding on it, not including whatever promotion cost.  I'm sure they hired a few
homeless to salt the mine.

>> Salt the mine?  You think Netflix is hiring homeless people to set up
>> IMDB accounts?  Checking...over 35,000 ratings on IMDB now.
>
> No, they'd hire "content producers" (filler-people, people who normally churn-out inane articles
to fill websites, no shortage of liberal arts grads who need the money) to open multiple accounts.

I think you have it backwards.  It seems far more likely that the
professional theater reviewers have been 'salted' with encouragement to
give bad reviews to BRIGHT specifically because it threatens their
theater going universe.

Along those lines, it is interesting how different the critics' opinion
is from the public's opinion on both BRIGHT and STAR WARS THE LAST JEDI.

https://qz.com/1165113/rotten-tomatoes-scores-for-star-wars-the-last...

From: The Starmaker <starmaker@ix.netcom.com>
From: The Starmaker <starmaker@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 11:00:35 -0800
Obveeus wrote:

> On 12/23/2017 2:28 AM, RichA wrote:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=R148WqGxDMSpjwSYt7uICw...

> >> Odd since it was there a day before your post when I looked.
> >>
> >> As for the film, it is much better than the rottentomato reviews would
> >> have you believe.  Perhaps the film side of the reviewer world is still
> >> smarting from the idea that evil Netflix will convince people to watch
> >> films in the comfort of their own home instead of the theater?  BRIGHT
> >> is not the crime procedural I feared it might be.  It is a bit of
> >> sci-fi, but it is just as much alt.history as sci-fi.  Mostly, though,
> >> it is a buddy cop flick in the vein of 40 HOURS or BEVERLY HILLS COP.  I
> >> know some reviewers don't like the idea of sci-fi having any nudity or
> >> swear words, but really there isn't even much of that...and certainly
> >> not so much that it should have been a problem for sci-fi viewers.
> >> Maybe they were worried about their 8 year old kid's fragile ears and
> >> eyes?  Whatever the case, the film is entertaining and manages a bit of
> >> funny and a bit of social preaching.  Some of the transitions are a bit
> >> rough and the fight sequences are definitely a bit too filled with quick
> >> cuts and wire work and such, but the plot is solid enough and does its
> >> job creating characters and a world that is interesting and in focus
> >> enough to warrant a sequel.
> >
> > It seems like "Alien Nation" again.
>
> It did have some ALIEN NATION feel to it and that was a good thing.  I
> actually would have preferred even more of an ALIEN NATION vibe than it
> had since that was what I was hoping for.
>
> Side note:  At least the reviewers haven't scared people away from the
> film.  IMDB shows that 11,000+ people watched and rated it
> yesterday...and the ratings are all skewed towards the top half of the
> spectrum without looking like a bunch of relatives just chimed in with
> obligatory 10s.

it is a tv show..

From: The Starmaker <starmaker@ix.netcom.com>
From: The Starmaker <starmaker@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 10:59:35 -0800
Obveeus wrote:

> On 12/22/2017 9:27 PM, RichA wrote:
> > On Thursday, 21 December 2017 23:11:58 UTC-5, Obveeus  wrote:
> >> On 12/21/2017 8:24 PM, RichA wrote:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=R148WqGxDMSpjwSYt7uICw...

> >> I'll skip making the obvious joke about why you cannot find BRIGHT.
> >>
> >> https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bright
> >
> > Not there when I looked.
>
> Odd since it was there a day before your post when I looked.

maybe it wasn't bright enough to see..

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 03:41:06 -0600
On 12/21/17 7:24 PM, RichA wrote:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=R148WqGxDMSpjwSYt7uICw...

> Can't even find it on Rottentomatoes.com which is very interesting.  Paid-off to bury it?

Distribution channels for movies (and TV) are changing.  Too stupid to
understand this?

From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Full headers:
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 10:05:07 +1300
On 2017-12-22 01:24:26 +0000, RichA said:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=R148WqGxDMSpjwSYt7uICw...

> Can't even find it on Rottentomatoes.com which is very interesting.
> Paid-off to bury it?

Hey, it stars Will Smith, so it's already a disaster.  ;-)

From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 18:34:35 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Friday, 22 December 2017 16:05:09 UTC-5, Your Name  wrote:
> On 2017-12-22 01:24:26 +0000, RichA said:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=R148WqGxDMSpjwSYt7uICw...

> > Can't even find it on Rottentomatoes.com which is very interesting.
> > Paid-off to bury it?
>
> Hey, it stars Will Smith, so it's already a disaster.  ;-)

I like the on critic's assertion that Netflix will have to raise subscription rates to pay for its
impending failure.

From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 19:34:07 +1300
On 2017-12-23 02:34:35 +0000, RichA said:
> On Friday, 22 December 2017 16:05:09 UTC-5, Your Name  wrote:
>> On 2017-12-22 01:24:26 +0000, RichA said:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=R148WqGxDMSpjwSYt7uICw...

>>> Can't even find it on Rottentomatoes.com which is very interesting.
>>> Paid-off to bury it?
>>
>> Hey, it stars Will Smith, so it's already a disaster.  ;-)
>
> I like the on critic's assertion that Netflix will have to raise
> subscription rates to pay for its impending failure.

They will already have raised subscription fees just to pay Will
Smith's massively over-bloated wages (as well as widen doorways to fit
his over-inflated ego though).  :-\

From: reilloc <reilloc@gmail.com>
Subject: "Bright"
From: reilloc <reilloc@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 11:56:52 -0600
On 12/21/2017 7:24 PM, RichA wrote:
> (moronic shit, deleted)

I watched this on Netflix on Sunday and it wasn't terrible but there was
something missing. I think it was the writing that really wasn't quite
there. Maybe it was how they dealt with the subject of magic:
inconsistent, like they'd never really thought about it, how it would
work, what it would be in this alternate universe.

Yeah, I really kinda think that that's it.

Watch it and tell me what you think.

LNC

Next <
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: "Bright"
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 13:04:31 -0500
On 12/26/2017 12:56 PM, reilloc wrote:
> On 12/21/2017 7:24 PM, RichA wrote:
>> (moronic shit, deleted)
>
> I watched this on Netflix on Sunday and it wasn't terrible but there was
> something missing. I think it was the writing that really wasn't quite
> there. Maybe it was how they dealt with the subject of magic:
> inconsistent, like they'd never really thought about it, how it would
> work, what it would be in this alternate universe.
>
> Yeah, I really kinda think that that's it.
>
> Watch it and tell me what you think.

The magic in this film seems to be limited to some specific bit of
'technology', an unexplained device, that one being/group is working to
control so that they can rule the world...a plotline that seems to be as
much based upon religion as anything else...and not far removed from
those 'infinity stones' in the Marvel Universe.