> Prev
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: THE OBJECTIVE (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 17:25:47 -0500
A military agent is sent to a remote area of the Afghan desert to
investigate a strange yet ominous report from an old ally.  Directed and
co-written by BLAIR WITCH alum Daniel Myrick, THE OBJECTIVE is a pretty
solid, atmospheric little horror thriller.  At 90 minutes it welcomely
recalls, and adds to, some of tBWP's more creative juices.  Recommended.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Subject: Re: THE OBJECTIVE (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 06:09:56 -0600
On 12/27/17 4:25 PM, moviePig wrote:

> A military agent is sent to a remote area of the Afghan desert to
> investigate a strange yet ominous report from an old ally.  Directed and
> co-written by BLAIR WITCH alum Daniel Myrick, THE OBJECTIVE is a pretty
> solid, atmospheric little horror thriller.  At 90 minutes it welcomely
> recalls, and adds to, some of tBWP's more creative juices.  Recommended.

How little is it?

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 09:13:28 -0500
On 12/28/2017 7:09 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 12/27/17 4:25 PM, moviePig wrote:
>>
>> A military agent is sent to a remote area of the Afghan desert to
>> investigate a strange yet ominous report from an old ally.  Directed
>> and co-written by BLAIR WITCH alum Daniel Myrick, THE OBJECTIVE is a
>> pretty solid, atmospheric little horror thriller.  At 90 minutes it
>> welcomely recalls, and adds to, some of tBWP's more creative juices.
>> Recommended.
>
> How little is it?
  Like we keep telling you, size doesn't matter...

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 06:35:42 -0800 (PST)
From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 9:13:33 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:

>   Like we keep telling you, size doesn't matter...

From the 1952 New York Times review of Mandy:

The virtue of simplicity in screen narration is put to clear and eloquent use in the little British
film "The Story of Mandy," which came to the Sutton yesterday. Unpretentious and almost documentary
in its telling of a tense dramatic tale of a husband and wife's estrangement over the training of
their deaf-mute child, it opens a straight, revealing vista into the heart of a problem of this sort
and makes pretty vivid the anxieties and the sensations of all involved.

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 14:13:29 -0600
On 12/28/2017 8:13 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 12/28/2017 7:09 AM, trotsky wrote:
>> On 12/27/17 4:25 PM, moviePig wrote:
>>>
>>> A military agent is sent to a remote area of the Afghan desert to
>>> investigate a strange yet ominous report from an old ally.  Directed
>>> and co-written by BLAIR WITCH alum Daniel Myrick, THE OBJECTIVE is a
>>> pretty solid, atmospheric little horror thriller.  At 90 minutes it
>>> welcomely recalls, and adds to, some of tBWP's more creative juices.
>>> Recommended.
>>
>> How little is it?
>   Like we keep telling you, size doesn't matter...

I just don't know what that word is supposed to mean pertaining to
movie.  Actually, I do know: it's a habit in the American vernacular to
throw in wasted words in an effort to sound cogent.  This is both
fascinating and irritating at the same time.

https://afterdeadline.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/16/wasted-words/

---

From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 12:46:06 -0800 (PST)
From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 04:30:11 -0600
On 12/28/17 2:46 PM, william ahearn wrote:
> On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 3:13:30 PM UTC-5, Greg Singh wrote:
>
>> I just don't know what that word is supposed to mean pertaining to
>> movie.  Actually, I do know: it's a habit in the American vernacular to
>> throw in wasted words in an effort to sound cogent.  This is both
>> fascinating and irritating at the same time.

Thanks for re-posting me.  It reminds me of how often people like to
re-tweet me.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 17:40:23 -0500
On 12/28/2017 3:13 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 12/28/2017 8:13 AM, moviePig wrote:

>>> How little is it?
>>   Like we keep telling you, size doesn't matter...
>
> I just don't know what that word is supposed to mean pertaining to
> movie.  Actually, I do know: it's a habit in the American vernacular to
> throw in wasted words in an effort to sound cogent.  This is both
> fascinating and irritating at the same time.
>
> https://afterdeadline.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/16/wasted-words/

Here, in Google-order, are the five B.P. nominees from 2005:

    FINding Neverland
    MILlion Dollar Baby
    RAY
    SIDeways
    THE Aviator

And here I've ranked them in order of suitability to be called 'little':

FVQ
SVA
ZVY
ENL
GUR

They're in ROT13, "littlest" first.

You do the ranking, too, before you decode, and we'll see if 'little'
actually communicates anything.

(Anyone can play, and publish the results.)

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 04:29:19 -0600
On 12/28/17 4:40 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 12/28/2017 3:13 PM, trotsky wrote:

>>>   Like we keep telling you, size doesn't matter...
>>
>> I just don't know what that word is supposed to mean pertaining to
>> movie.  Actually, I do know: it's a habit in the American vernacular
>> to throw in wasted words in an effort to sound cogent.  This is both
>> fascinating and irritating at the same time.
>>
>> https://afterdeadline.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/16/wasted-words/
>
> Here, in Google-order, are the five B.P. nominees from 2005:
>
>     FINding Neverland
>     MILlion Dollar Baby
>     RAY
>     SIDeways
>     THE Aviator
>
> And here I've ranked them in order of suitability to be called 'little':
>
> FVQ
> SVA
> ZVY
> ENL
> GUR
>
> They're in ROT13, "littlest" first.
>
> You do the ranking, too, before you decode, and we'll see if 'little'
> actually communicates anything.
>
> (Anyone can play, and publish the results.)

Interesting, none of the abbreviations you used correspond to the
abbreviations you assigned on your list.  Has senility finally set in?

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 09:11:22 -0500

http://www.rot13.com/

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: artyw2@yahoo.com <artyw2@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 08:14:11 -0800 (PST)
From: "artyw2@yahoo.com" <artyw2@yahoo.com>
Is this the one that starts with a dog going missing? The description from IMDB seems very similar
to a movie I saw recently, but some of the he details don't match up. Could easily be my faulty
memory.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 11:41:40 -0500
On 12/28/2017 11:14 AM, artyw2@yahoo.com wrote:
> Is this the one that starts with a dog going missing? The description from IMDB seems very similar
to a movie I saw recently, but some of the he details don't match up. Could easily be my faulty
memory.

Maybe I blinked, but I don't remember a dog.  If there was one, he
stayed missing...

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

Next <
From: artyw2@yahoo.com <artyw2@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 12:29:01 -0800 (PST)
From: "artyw2@yahoo.com" <artyw2@yahoo.com>
On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 11:41:47 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
> On 12/28/2017 11:14 AM, artyw2@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Is this the one that starts with a dog going missing? The description from IMDB seems very
similar to a movie I saw recently, but some of the he details don't match up. Could easily be my
faulty memory.

> Maybe I blinked, but I don't remember a dog.  If there was one, he
> stayed missing...

The movie I was thinking of is "Neither Heaven Nor Earth" which is also a horror story involving
soldiers in Afghanistan.
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/neither-heaven-nor-earth-2016