> Prev
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Subject: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin3!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films, rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 09:47:09 +1300
Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server
Lines: 15
Message-ID: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org>
NNTP-Posting-Host: a94YrsJKVciyF4b2STAOaA.user.gioia.aioe.org
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Complaints-To: abuse@aioe.org
User-Agent: Unison/2.2
X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.8.2
Print Article
Forward Article
I can't find it now, but someone recently complained about the new Star 
Wars movie using bombers in space where there is "no gravity" (despite 
bombers also being in 'The Empire Strikes back').

According to 'The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary' book:

    "Resistance Bombers
     Bombs don't technically "drop" in microgravity,
     but are impelled from their racks by sequenced
     electromagnetic plates in the clip. The bombs
     are then drawn magnetically to their unfortunate
     targets." 

	
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
X-Received: by 10.36.115.203 with SMTP id y194mr28391829itb.35.1514694107161;
Sat, 30 Dec 2017 20:21:47 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 10.157.90.22 with SMTP id v22mr1616731oth.12.1514694106969;
Sat, 30 Dec 2017 20:21:46 -0800 (PST)
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!peer01.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!i6no4294636itb.0!news-out.google.com!b73ni16425ita.0!nntp.google.com!g80no4285403itg.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 20:21:46 -0800 (PST)
In-Reply-To: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org>
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=65.95.0.172; posting-account=8Vsz_woAAABQPV3Epo66m_rYvK1EHzOV
NNTP-Posting-Host: 65.95.0.172
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <fee13b3f-e223-4644-bccf-8bb2dca38efa@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Injection-Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 04:21:47 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
X-Received-Body-CRC: 3799821418
X-Received-Bytes: 1915
Print Article
Forward Article
On Saturday, 30 December 2017 15:47:12 UTC-5, Your Name  wrote:
> I can't find it now, but someone recently complained about the new Star 
> Wars movie using bombers in space where there is "no gravity" (despite 
> bombers also being in 'The Empire Strikes back').
> 
> According to 'The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary' book:
> 
>     "Resistance Bombers
>      Bombs don't technically "drop" in microgravity,
>      but are impelled from their racks by sequenced
>      electromagnetic plates in the clip. The bombs
>      are then drawn magnetically to their unfortunate
>      targets."

Still B.S.  You'd need incredible magnetic power to do that, enough to disrupt any other electronic
systems in-use. 

	
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 18:09:29 +1300
Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server
Lines: 26
Message-ID: <p29re9$qre$1@gioia.aioe.org>
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <fee13b3f-e223-4644-bccf-8bb2dca38efa@googlegroups.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: a94YrsJKVciyF4b2STAOaA.user.gioia.aioe.org
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Complaints-To: abuse@aioe.org
User-Agent: Unison/2.2
X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.8.2
Print Article
Forward Article
On 2017-12-31 04:21:46 +0000, RichA said:
> On Saturday, 30 December 2017 15:47:12 UTC-5, Your Name  wrote:
>> 
>> I can't find it now, but someone recently complained about the new Star
>> Wars movie using bombers in space where there is "no gravity" (despite
>> bombers also being in 'The Empire Strikes back').
>> 
>> According to 'The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary' book:
>> 
>> "Resistance Bombers
>> Bombs don't technically "drop" in microgravity,
>> but are impelled from their racks by sequenced
>> electromagnetic plates in the clip. The bombs
>> are then drawn magnetically to their unfortunate
>> targets."
> 
> Still B.S.  You'd need incredible magnetic power to do that, enough to 
> disrupt any other electronic systems in-use.

No you don't.

The "impelling" is the same technique as maglev trains use, and the 
bombs are smaller. The intial ejection gives them enough momentum to 
(hopefully) get close enough to the target to then be magnetically 
attract towards the target object, and then explode. 

	
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
X-Received: by 10.107.166.69 with SMTP id p66mr29953591ioe.85.1514742403417;
Sun, 31 Dec 2017 09:46:43 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 10.157.82.148 with SMTP id f20mr1880158oth.2.1514742403312;
Sun, 31 Dec 2017 09:46:43 -0800 (PST)
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin1!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!peer02.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!g80no4469493itg.0!news-out.google.com!b73ni17183ita.0!nntp.google.com!i6no4479476itb.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 09:46:42 -0800 (PST)
In-Reply-To: <p29re9$qre$1@gioia.aioe.org>
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=65.95.0.172; posting-account=8Vsz_woAAABQPV3Epo66m_rYvK1EHzOV
NNTP-Posting-Host: 65.95.0.172
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <fee13b3f-e223-4644-bccf-8bb2dca38efa@googlegroups.com>
<p29re9$qre$1@gioia.aioe.org>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <d1df52f9-effb-435a-90b3-dedaa9c000e9@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Injection-Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 17:46:43 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Lines: 33
X-Received-Body-CRC: 3994033061
X-Received-Bytes: 2929
Print Article
Forward Article
On Sunday, 31 December 2017 00:09:32 UTC-5, Your Name  wrote:
> On 2017-12-31 04:21:46 +0000, RichA said:
> > On Saturday, 30 December 2017 15:47:12 UTC-5, Your Name  wrote:
> >> 
> >> I can't find it now, but someone recently complained about the new Star
> >> Wars movie using bombers in space where there is "no gravity" (despite
> >> bombers also being in 'The Empire Strikes back').
> >> 
> >> According to 'The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary' book:
> >> 
> >> "Resistance Bombers
> >> Bombs don't technically "drop" in microgravity,
> >> but are impelled from their racks by sequenced
> >> electromagnetic plates in the clip. The bombs
> >> are then drawn magnetically to their unfortunate
> >> targets."
> > 
> > Still B.S.  You'd need incredible magnetic power to do that, enough to 
> > disrupt any other electronic systems in-use.
> 
> No you don't.
> 
> The "impelling" is the same technique as maglev trains use, and the 
> bombs are smaller. The intial ejection gives them enough momentum to 
> (hopefully) get close enough to the target to then be magnetically 
> attract towards the target object, and then explode.

Then why would they need magnetism at all?  Once you set something in motion, in a particular direct
in space, it keeps going that way, there is basically zero drag, unless they are near a body like a
planet or star.  If you say the magnetism was strong enough to allow the bombs to make
course-corrections then my old argument stands. 

	
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin3!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films, rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 10:14:42 +1300
Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server
Lines: 49
Message-ID: <p2bk00$1ecs$1@gioia.aioe.org>
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <d1df52f9-effb-435a-90b3-dedaa9c000e9@googlegroups.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: a94YrsJKVciyF4b2STAOaA.user.gioia.aioe.org
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Complaints-To: abuse@aioe.org
User-Agent: Unison/2.2
X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.8.2
Print Article
Forward Article
On 2017-12-31 17:46:42 +0000, RichA said:

> On Sunday, 31 December 2017 00:09:32 UTC-5, Your Name  wrote:
>> On 2017-12-31 04:21:46 +0000, RichA said:
>>> On Saturday, 30 December 2017 15:47:12 UTC-5, Your Name  wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> I can't find it now, but someone recently complained about the new Star
>>>> Wars movie using bombers in space where there is "no gravity" (despite
>>>> bombers also being in 'The Empire Strikes back').
>>>> 
>>>> According to 'The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary' book:
>>>> 
>>>> "Resistance Bombers
>>>> Bombs don't technically "drop" in microgravity,
>>>> but are impelled from their racks by sequenced
>>>> electromagnetic plates in the clip. The bombs
>>>> are then drawn magnetically to their unfortunate
>>>> targets."
>>> 
>>> Still B.S.  You'd need incredible magnetic power to do that, enough to> 
>>> > disrupt any other electronic systems in-use.
>> 
>> No you don't.
>> 
>> The "impelling" is the same technique as maglev trains use, and the 
>> bombs are smaller. The intial ejection gives them enough momentum to 
>> (hopefully) get close enough to the target to then be magnetically 
>> attract towards the target object, and then explode.
> 
> Then why would they need magnetism at all?  Once you set something in 
> motion, in a particular direct in space, it keeps going that way, there 
> is basically zero drag, unless they are near a body like a planet or 
> star.  If you say the magnetism was strong enough to allow the bombs to 
> make course-corrections then my old argument stands.

Once the bombs hit a target they would mostly just bounce off and do 
less damage. Better to have them stick to the hull when they explode, 
especially in space combat where there is no atmosphere to allow 
concussion waves to more easily reach the separated target.

There is no "course correction", other than the minor magentic 
attraction pulling the bomb slightly. They're bombs, not some sort of 
guided torpedoes or missles.

There's no great mystery or magic to it. Earth based military have been 
doing basically the same thing for decades with some of their explosive 
devices. They even (supposedly) trained dolphins to swim to an enemy 
vessel and had the bombs magnetically attach. 

	
From: Ninapenda Jibini <taustinca@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
X-Received: by 10.55.163.193 with SMTP id m184mr26415925qke.56.1514756859741;
Sun, 31 Dec 2017 13:47:39 -0800 (PST)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!feeder.usenetexpress.com!feeder-in1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!g35no4739605qtk.1!news-out.google.com!t48ni1546qtc.1!nntp.google.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!post02.iad!fx26.iad.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
From: Ninapenda Jibini <taustinca@gmail.com>
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <d1df52f9-effb-435a-90b3-dedaa9c000e9@googlegroups.com> <p2bk00$1ecs$1@gioia.aioe.org>
Message-ID: <XnsA85C8C53AFA52taustincagmailcom@69.16.179.43>
User-Agent: Xnews/2009.05.01
Lines: 18
X-Complaints-To: abuse@easynews.com
Organization: Forte - www.forteinc.com
X-Complaints-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly.
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 21:47:39 GMT
X-Received-Bytes: 1203
X-Received-Body-CRC: 2068133751
X-Original-Bytes: 1059
Print Article
Forward Article
Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in
news:p2bk00$1ecs$1@gioia.aioe.org: 

> There's no great mystery or magic to it. 

Er, actually, as someone pointed out, it *is* magic, in that 
magnetism doesn't work that way.

But then, Star Wars is fantasy from the word go, so it should hardly 
surprise anyone that they use fantasy elements in it.

-- 
Terry Austin

"Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole."
    -- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals. 

	
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin3!goblin.stu.neva.ru!inn10.news.alteholz.net!news.in-chemnitz.de!news2.arglkargh.de!news.mixmin.net!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 10:55:51 +1300
Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server
Lines: 19
Message-ID: <p2bmd5$1hn5$1@gioia.aioe.org>
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <fee13b3f-e223-4644-bccf-8bb2dca38efa@googlegroups.com> <p29re9$qre$1@gioia.aioe.org> <d1df52f9-effb-435a-90b3-dedaa9c000e9@googlegroups.com> <XnsA85C8C53AFA52taustincagmailcom@69.16.179.43>
NNTP-Posting-Host: a94YrsJKVciyF4b2STAOaA.user.gioia.aioe.org
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Complaints-To: abuse@aioe.org
User-Agent: Unison/2.2
X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.8.2
Print Article
Forward Article
On 2017-12-31 21:47:39 +0000, Ninapenda Jibini said:

> Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in
> news:p2bk00$1ecs$1@gioia.aioe.org:
> 
>> There's no great mystery or magic to it.
> 
> Er, actually, as someone pointed out, it *is* magic, in that
> magnetism doesn't work that way.
> 
> But then, Star Wars is fantasy from the word go, so it should hardly
> surprise anyone that they use fantasy elements in it.

Tell that to the people who have built and those who ride in maglev 
trains. Tell that to teh Earth military and industries who have been 
using teh same thing for decades.

Believe what braindead crap you want. I'm done with this silly topic.    :-\ 

	
From: J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin1!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!peer03.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!post02.iad!fx35.iad.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Message-ID: <8joi4dpn8stjbsn6ntbg3po94ap81lt0lq@4ax.com>
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <fee13b3f-e223-4644-bccf-8bb2dca38efa@googlegroups.com> <p29re9$qre$1@gioia.aioe.org> <d1df52f9-effb-435a-90b3-dedaa9c000e9@googlegroups.com> <XnsA85C8C53AFA52taustincagmailcom@69.16.179.43> <p2bmd5$1hn5$1@gioia.aioe.org>
User-Agent: ForteAgent/8.00.32.1272
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 32
X-Complaints-To: abuse@newsdemon.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 22:21:47 UTC
Organization: http://www.NewsDemon.com
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 17:21:44 -0500
X-Received-Bytes: 2120
X-Received-Body-CRC: 3539694200
Print Article
Forward Article
On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 10:55:51 +1300, Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com>
wrote:

>On 2017-12-31 21:47:39 +0000, Ninapenda Jibini said:
>
>> Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in
>> news:p2bk00$1ecs$1@gioia.aioe.org:
>> 
>>> There's no great mystery or magic to it.
>> 
>> Er, actually, as someone pointed out, it *is* magic, in that
>> magnetism doesn't work that way.
>> 
>> But then, Star Wars is fantasy from the word go, so it should hardly
>> surprise anyone that they use fantasy elements in it.
>
>Tell that to the people who have built and those who ride in maglev 
>trains. Tell that to teh Earth military and industries who have been 
>using teh same thing for decades.
>
>Believe what braindead crap you want. I'm done with this silly topic.    :-\

OK, please tell us the designation of any weapon in any current or
past real-world military inventory that when dropped from an aircraft
is drawn to an object below it by magnetism.

And please explain what you believe maglev trains have to do with
anything.  Nobody is asserting that magetism doesn't exist, just that
it does not work the way the movie depicts it.

However, anybody expecting anything resembling real-world physics from
Star Wars has come to the wrong shop. 

	
From: Ninapenda Jibini <taustinca@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!peer01.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!post02.iad!fx43.iad.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
From: Ninapenda Jibini <taustinca@gmail.com>
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <fee13b3f-e223-4644-bccf-8bb2dca38efa@googlegroups.com> <p29re9$qre$1@gioia.aioe.org> <d1df52f9-effb-435a-90b3-dedaa9c000e9@googlegroups.com> <XnsA85C8C53AFA52taustincagmailcom@69.16.179.43> <p2bmd5$1hn5$1@gioia.aioe.org> <8joi4dpn8stjbsn6ntbg3po94ap81lt0lq@4ax.com>
Message-ID: <XnsA85C9C9EBF191taustincagmailcom@69.16.179.42>
User-Agent: Xnews/2009.05.01
Lines: 48
X-Complaints-To: abuse@easynews.com
Organization: Forte - www.forteinc.com
X-Complaints-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly.
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 23:23:45 GMT
X-Received-Body-CRC: 278706481
X-Received-Bytes: 2731
Print Article
Forward Article
J. Clarke<jclarke.873638@gmail.com> wrote in
news:8joi4dpn8stjbsn6ntbg3po94ap81lt0lq@4ax.com: 

> On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 10:55:51 +1300, Your Name
><YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> 
>>On 2017-12-31 21:47:39 +0000, Ninapenda Jibini said:
>>
>>> Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in
>>> news:p2bk00$1ecs$1@gioia.aioe.org:
>>> 
>>>> There's no great mystery or magic to it.
>>> 
>>> Er, actually, as someone pointed out, it *is* magic, in that
>>> magnetism doesn't work that way.
>>> 
>>> But then, Star Wars is fantasy from the word go, so it should
>>> hardly surprise anyone that they use fantasy elements in it.
>>
>>Tell that to the people who have built and those who ride in
>>maglev trains. Tell that to teh Earth military and industries
>>who have been using teh same thing for decades.
>>
>>Believe what braindead crap you want. I'm done with this silly
>>topic.    :-\ 
> 
> OK, please tell us the designation of any weapon in any current
> or past real-world military inventory that when dropped from an
> aircraft is drawn to an object below it by magnetism.
> 
> And please explain what you believe maglev trains have to do
> with anything.  Nobody is asserting that magetism doesn't exist,
> just that it does not work the way the movie depicts it.
> 
> However, anybody expecting anything resembling real-world
> physics from Star Wars has come to the wrong shop.
> 
Or pretty much any other movie, really. But Star Wars doesn't even 
*pretend* to be realistic. Only the infantile fanbois are too 
fucking stupid to get that.

-- 
Terry Austin

"Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole."
    -- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals. 

	
From: Ninapenda Jibini <taustinca@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin1!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!peer01.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!post01.iad!fx43.iad.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
From: Ninapenda Jibini <taustinca@gmail.com>
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <fee13b3f-e223-4644-bccf-8bb2dca38efa@googlegroups.com> <p29re9$qre$1@gioia.aioe.org> <d1df52f9-effb-435a-90b3-dedaa9c000e9@googlegroups.com> <XnsA85C8C53AFA52taustincagmailcom@69.16.179.43> <p2bmd5$1hn5$1@gioia.aioe.org>
Message-ID: <XnsA85C9C70BF9EBtaustincagmailcom@69.16.179.42>
User-Agent: Xnews/2009.05.01
Lines: 33
X-Complaints-To: abuse@easynews.com
Organization: Forte - www.forteinc.com
X-Complaints-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly.
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 23:22:41 GMT
X-Received-Body-CRC: 992837922
X-Received-Bytes: 1881
Print Article
Forward Article
Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in
news:p2bmd5$1hn5$1@gioia.aioe.org: 

> On 2017-12-31 21:47:39 +0000, Ninapenda Jibini said:
> 
>> Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in
>> news:p2bk00$1ecs$1@gioia.aioe.org:
>> 
>>> There's no great mystery or magic to it.
>> 
>> Er, actually, as someone pointed out, it *is* magic, in that
>> magnetism doesn't work that way.
>> 
>> But then, Star Wars is fantasy from the word go, so it should
>> hardly surprise anyone that they use fantasy elements in it.
> 
> Tell that to the people who have built and those who ride in
> maglev trains.

That has nothing to do with the use of the word in Star Wars, nor 
how it functions in the movies.

Star Wars is fantasy, not a documentary.

Get over it, child.

-- 
Terry Austin

"Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole."
    -- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals. 

	
From: Neill Massello <nmassello@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin1!goblin.stu.neva.ru!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: nmassello@yahoo.com (Neill Massello)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 01:08:20 -0700
Organization: Dead Usenet Society
Lines: 10
Message-ID: <1nhxbor.kcxerk15zu6l4N%nmassello@yahoo.com>
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <fee13b3f-e223-4644-bccf-8bb2dca38efa@googlegroups.com> <p29re9$qre$1@gioia.aioe.org> <d1df52f9-effb-435a-90b3-dedaa9c000e9@googlegroups.com> <p2bk00$1ecs$1@gioia.aioe.org> <XnsA85C8C53AFA52taustincagmailcom@69.16.179.43>
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="25ad45753fe831ba32dc54a52e6ad7aa";
logging-data="16168"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org";posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+36WS7mpksanbAWM/C0pf+NRKlgwCOyDE="
User-Agent: MacSOUP/2.8.6b1 (ed136d9b90) (Mac OS 10.13.2)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:ISzR8cdEsgoQcPlu3XRAszZssb4=
Print Article
Forward Article
Ninapenda Jibini<taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:

> But then, Star Wars is fantasy from the word go, so it should hardly 
> surprise anyone that they use fantasy elements in it.

They started out using bombs that navigated by using Jedi-style
telekinesis, but they had to switch to "magnetism" because of a shortage
of midichlorians, the sad result of the fact that those who possess the
genes for them also tend to commit suicidal acts of self-sacrifice. 

	
From: Neill Massello <nmassello@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin1!goblin.stu.neva.ru!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: nmassello@yahoo.com (Neill Massello)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 01:08:20 -0700
Organization: Dead Usenet Society
Lines: 7
Message-ID: <1nhxbje.118pg2c8c0pkN%nmassello@yahoo.com>
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <fee13b3f-e223-4644-bccf-8bb2dca38efa@googlegroups.com> <p29re9$qre$1@gioia.aioe.org>
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="25ad45753fe831ba32dc54a52e6ad7aa";
logging-data="16168"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org";posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19l/xplIK8rcfpgJuEmdbUu7gbbcPJmTD8="
User-Agent: MacSOUP/2.8.6b1 (ed136d9b90) (Mac OS 10.13.2)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:ay4nBFZQ4x4/+Q6qMVxyJXm79d4=
Print Article
Forward Article
Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> The "impelling" is the same technique as maglev trains use, and the 
> bombs are smaller. 

And the distances are much greater. Look up "inverse square law". 

	
From: BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin1!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!feeder.usenetexpress.com!feeder-in1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 10:54:39 -0600
User-Agent: NewsTap/5.3.1 (iPhone/iPod Touch)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:O309nFECNS/s0WOhB/SdHgufosY=
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
From: BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid>
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org>
Message-ID: <7rSdnSuWbobSi9THnZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 10:54:39 -0600
Lines: 20
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-TUsKum83VS8XQyO5uQHllnZaN2B4db1Lth0jElkU/F9hiuGVj3XQ4JxCqNjzy35neZ3lqG6J2D7qCL3!jRoyYZPCcEKQQQw2J7px7Jwbom8G27VUatKhTPuUcP2n+ZkVahhWIRtjonc/bf8Eg6eSoRQFyN2n!zg==
X-Complaints-To: abuse@giganews.com
X-DMCA-Notifications: http://www.giganews.com/info/dmca.html
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
X-Original-Bytes: 1972
Print Article
Forward Article
Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> 
> I can't find it now, but someone recently complained about the new Star 
> Wars movie using bombers in space where there is "no gravity" (despite 
> bombers also being in 'The Empire Strikes back').
> 
> According to 'The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary' book:
> 
>    "Resistance Bombers
>     Bombs don't technically "drop" in microgravity,
>     but are impelled from their racks by sequenced
>     electromagnetic plates in the clip. The bombs
>     are then drawn magnetically to their unfortunate
>     targets."

As opposed to being drawn magnetically to the sides of their own ship?

(And this bombs clearly dropped, not pulled magnetically. You can tell by
the way they fell. There was no sequencing about it, either. She pushed the
button and they all dropped at once.) 

	
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin3!goblin.stu.neva.ru!news.roellig-ltd.de!open-news-network.org!weretis.net!feeder4.news.weretis.net!news.mixmin.net!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 10:06:08 +1300
Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server
Lines: 48
Message-ID: <p2bjfu$1dku$1@gioia.aioe.org>
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <7rSdnSuWbobSi9THnZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: a94YrsJKVciyF4b2STAOaA.user.gioia.aioe.org
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Complaints-To: abuse@aioe.org
User-Agent: Unison/2.2
X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.8.2
Print Article
Forward Article
On 2017-12-31 16:54:39 +0000, BTR1701 said:
> Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>> 
>> I can't find it now, but someone recently complained about the new Star
>> Wars movie using bombers in space where there is "no gravity" (despite
>> bombers also being in 'The Empire Strikes back').
>> 
>> According to 'The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary' book:
>> 
>> "Resistance Bombers
>> Bombs don't technically "drop" in microgravity,
>> but are impelled from their racks by sequenced
>> electromagnetic plates in the clip. The bombs
>> are then drawn magnetically to their unfortunate
>> targets."
> 
> As opposed to being drawn magnetically to the sides of their own ship?

It's not difficult to have the bombs turn on the magnetic attraction 
*after* they've have been launched and far enough away from the 
Rebel... err, "Resistance" bombers. Or turn on even later when they 
detect a target to attach to.



> (And this bombs clearly dropped, not pulled magnetically. You can tell by
> the way they fell.

There's no way to tell the difference from a movie clip, unless the 
movie maker decides to have pulsating lights to indicate the magnets 
along the track turning on and off.



> There was no sequencing about it, either. She pushed the
> button and they all dropped at once.)

The bombadier no doubt has the ability to choose how many to drop 
depending on the target and the mission.



Geez, so much nit-picking over a pointlessly minor topic. It would be 
better to complain to Disney about the fact that the new movies are 
just lazy-ass, talentless rip-offs of George Lucas' originals.   :-( 

	
From: Ninapenda Jibini <taustinca@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin3!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!peer03.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!post01.iad!fx26.iad.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
From: Ninapenda Jibini <taustinca@gmail.com>
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <7rSdnSuWbobSi9THnZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <p2bjfu$1dku$1@gioia.aioe.org>
Message-ID: <XnsA85C8C1E1799Ftaustincagmailcom@69.16.179.43>
User-Agent: Xnews/2009.05.01
Lines: 63
X-Complaints-To: abuse@easynews.com
Organization: Forte - www.forteinc.com
X-Complaints-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly.
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 21:46:25 GMT
X-Received-Bytes: 2813
X-Received-Body-CRC: 3867428608
Print Article
Forward Article
Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in
news:p2bjfu$1dku$1@gioia.aioe.org: 

> On 2017-12-31 16:54:39 +0000, BTR1701 said:
>> Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>>> 
>>> I can't find it now, but someone recently complained about the
>>> new Star Wars movie using bombers in space where there is "no
>>> gravity" (despite bombers also being in 'The Empire Strikes
>>> back'). 
>>> 
>>> According to 'The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary' book:
>>> 
>>> "Resistance Bombers
>>> Bombs don't technically "drop" in microgravity,
>>> but are impelled from their racks by sequenced
>>> electromagnetic plates in the clip. The bombs
>>> are then drawn magnetically to their unfortunate
>>> targets."
>> 
>> As opposed to being drawn magnetically to the sides of their
>> own ship? 
> 
> It's not difficult to have the bombs turn on the magnetic
> attraction *after* they've have been launched and far enough
> away from the Rebel... err, "Resistance" bombers. Or turn on
> even later when they detect a target to attach to.
> 
> 
> 
>> (And this bombs clearly dropped, not pulled magnetically. You
>> can tell by the way they fell.
> 
> There's no way to tell the difference from a movie clip, unless
> the movie maker decides to have pulsating lights to indicate the
> magnets along the track turning on and off.
> 
> 
> 
>> There was no sequencing about it, either. She pushed the
>> button and they all dropped at once.)
> 
> The bombadier no doubt has the ability to choose how many to
> drop depending on the target and the mission.
> 
> 
> 
> Geez, so much nit-picking over a pointlessly minor topic. It
> would be better to complain to Disney about the fact that the
> new movies are just lazy-ass, talentless rip-offs of George
> Lucas' originals.   :-( 
> 
Which were, themselve,s lazy-ass, talentless rip-offs of each other 
and eveyrthing else Lucas could possibly rip-off without having to 
work too hard.

-- 
Terry Austin

"Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole."
    -- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals. 

	
From: BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!peer01.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 18:54:54 -0600
User-Agent: NewsTap/5.3.1 (iPhone/iPod Touch)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:O309nFECNS/s0WOhB/SdHgufosY=
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
From: BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid>
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<7rSdnSuWbobSi9THnZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<p2bjfu$1dku$1@gioia.aioe.org>
Message-ID: <xvSdnZo8GOVDG9THnZ2dnUU7-fFQAAAA@giganews.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 18:54:54 -0600
Lines: 51
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-XKzjdREcpcMQ2Rxaod7rgR+et4yUqLDtbWKHlE2TjsRFugO8D81QkOZz65+GkhzSAlG0JpmttSF7Wjq!YxU3NmSr/2ns/xXrGw/N168azMov5LProXKfFjqcMBDu2RpB3jwBjb83IgrnnxBZVy3S4B1iEmf8
X-Complaints-To: abuse@giganews.com
X-DMCA-Notifications: http://www.giganews.com/info/dmca.html
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
X-Original-Bytes: 3280
X-Received-Body-CRC: 1171048114
X-Received-Bytes: 3523
Print Article
Forward Article
Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> On 2017-12-31 16:54:39 +0000, BTR1701 said:

>> Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>>> 
>>> I can't find it now, but someone recently complained about the new Star
>>> Wars movie using bombers in space where there is "no gravity" (despite
>>> bombers also being in 'The Empire Strikes back').
>>> 
>>> According to 'The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary' book:
>>> 
>>> "Resistance Bombers
>>> Bombs don't technically "drop" in microgravity,
>>> but are impelled from their racks by sequenced
>>> electromagnetic plates in the clip. The bombs
>>> are then drawn magnetically to their unfortunate
>>> targets."
>> 
>> As opposed to being drawn magnetically to the sides of their own ship?
> 
> It's not difficult to have the bombs turn on the magnetic attraction 
> *after* they've have been launched and far enough away from the 
> Rebel... err, "Resistance" bombers. Or turn on even later when they 
> detect a target to attach to.
> 
>> (And this bombs clearly dropped, not pulled magnetically. You can tell by
>> the way they fell.
> 
> There's no way to tell the difference from a movie clip, unless the 
> movie maker decides to have pulsating lights to indicate the magnets 
> along the track turning on and off.
> 
>> There was no sequencing about it, either. She pushed the
>> button and they all dropped at once.)
> 
> The bombadier no doubt has the ability to choose how many to drop 
> depending on the target and the mission.

> Geez, so much nit-picking over a pointlessly minor topic.

You brought it up. I'm just responding to the issue you raised.

But I have a bigger problem with the idea that a ship the size of the
Supremacy can be shorn in two and scuttled by a (relatively) tiny cruiser
hitting it at lightspeed.

If that's a thing, why has the tactic never been used before? The Rebellion
could have easily taken out Vader's flagship, the Executor, or even the
Death Star itself just by sending up unmanned drone ships and hitting the
hyperspace buttons. 

	
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin1!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 14:40:54 +1300
Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server
Lines: 51
Message-ID: <p2c3j3$3co$1@gioia.aioe.org>
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <xvSdnZo8GOVDG9THnZ2dnUU7-fFQAAAA@giganews.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: a94YrsJKVciyF4b2STAOaA.user.gioia.aioe.org
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Complaints-To: abuse@aioe.org
User-Agent: Unison/2.2
X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.8.2
Print Article
Forward Article
On 2018-01-01 00:54:54 +0000, BTR1701 said:

> Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> 
>> On 2017-12-31 16:54:39 +0000, BTR1701 said:
> 
>>> Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> I can't find it now, but someone recently complained about the new Star
>>>> Wars movie using bombers in space where there is "no gravity" (despite
>>>> bombers also being in 'The Empire Strikes back').
>>>> 
>>>> According to 'The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary' book:
>>>> 
>>>> "Resistance Bombers
>>>> Bombs don't technically "drop" in microgravity,
>>>> but are impelled from their racks by sequenced
>>>> electromagnetic plates in the clip. The bombs
>>>> are then drawn magnetically to their unfortunate
>>>> targets."
>>> 
>>> As opposed to being drawn magnetically to the sides of their own ship?
>> 
>> It's not difficult to have the bombs turn on the magnetic attraction
>> *after* they've have been launched and far enough away from the
>> Rebel... err, "Resistance" bombers. Or turn on even later when they
>> detect a target to attach to.
>> 
>>> (And this bombs clearly dropped, not pulled magnetically. You can tell by
>>> the way they fell.
>> 
>> There's no way to tell the difference from a movie clip, unless the
>> movie maker decides to have pulsating lights to indicate the magnets
>> along the track turning on and off.
>> 
>>> There was no sequencing about it, either. She pushed the
>>> button and they all dropped at once.)
>> 
>> The bombadier no doubt has the ability to choose how many to drop
>> depending on the target and the mission.
> 
>> Geez, so much nit-picking over a pointlessly minor topic.
> 
> You brought it up. I'm just responding to the issue you raised.
<snip>

No I didn't. I was simply giving the answer from the book to someone 
else's complaint in a different topic that I couldn't re-find. 

	
Next <
From: Neill Massello <nmassello@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin2!goblin1!goblin.stu.neva.ru!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: nmassello@yahoo.com (Neill Massello)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: Re: Star Wars bombing runs in space
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 12:25:29 -0700
Organization: Dead Usenet Society
Lines: 18
Message-ID: <1nhwcxo.1hccjnc1ok8d3yN%nmassello@yahoo.com>
References: <p28u0b$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org>
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="ee9202ea6349054fab6c826d1143846c";
logging-data="4848"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org";posting-account="U2FsdGVkX18vojsL6MrD13BaSuxGsEocdVuOl6eP9Nw="
User-Agent: MacSOUP/2.8.6b1 (ed136d9b90) (Mac OS 10.13.2)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:oi4UJxBPA0rqjFSAOQhFswq3lhY=
Print Article
Forward Article
Your Name<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> I can't find it now, but someone recently complained about the new Star
> Wars movie using bombers in space where there is "no gravity" (despite
> bombers also being in 'The Empire Strikes back').
> 
> According to 'The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary' book:
> 
>     "Resistance Bombers
>      Bombs don't technically "drop" in microgravity,
>      but are impelled from their racks by sequenced
>      electromagnetic plates in the clip. The bombs
>      are then drawn magnetically to their unfortunate
>      targets."

One of the kinds of magic used in the Star Wars universe is called
"magnetism" and has nothing to do with the physics of our universe.