> Prev
From: Mark Leeper <mleeper@optonline.net>
Subject: My Top Ten Films of 2017
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 09:08:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Mark Leeper <mleeper@optonline.net>
My Top Ten Films of 2017
               (film comments by Mark R. Leeper)

Once again it is time to pick out what I consider the best of the
best films I saw this year and I have to bemoan the fact that I am
just not in a position to see all the films that deserve
recommendations.  I should not call these the top ten films of
2017, but the top ten I have managed to see.  It also is not a good
idea putting a bunch of these films together and rank ordering
them.  Last year there were four or five good documentaries wholly
or in part about police brutality, race relations, and riots.  This
year there is at least that many.  It was a topic that was very
much in the news in 2017.  If they were seen separately and months
apart they would probably get high ratings.  But it is hard to see
three in a week and not down-rate them for being so similar and not
have that affect my opinion.

Films are rated on a -4 to +4 scale.

MOLLY'S GAME
This film is based on a true story.  Molly Bloom wanted to be an
Olympic skier and came very close to making it.  Then in an instant
she had an accident, was washed out, and had to give up her Olympic
dreams.  By chance she ended up inheriting the job of organizing the
most exclusive weekly poker game in the world.  This task brought
her some small fame and some major fortune in (honest) tips.
MOLLY'S GAME is written and directed by Aaron Sorkin who wrote THE
SOCIAL NETWORK, STEVE JOBS, MONEYBALL, and A FEW GOOD MEN.  He also
did much of the writing for "The West Wing".  I will be honest that
sports films are not my thing, and poker films are not my thing
either.  I started this film thinking it was not for me.  It took
five minutes before I became fascinated by this film and by Molly.
Jessica Chastain is captivating as Molly Bloom and Idris Elba is
her lawyer.  When the two talk they are really convincing as being
very, very smart.  Much of the film revolves around the fact that
Molly has very high scruples.  The FBI did not believe that, but I
do.  This film was a lot of enjoyment and it may well be the most
fun I will have at the movies this year.  This is a major role for
Chastain and I suspect that from now on she will be thought of as a
glamorous actress.  Rating: +3

THE POST
Set in 1971, the owner of the Washington Post is faced with a
Constitutional issue of whether to publish the contents of the
Pentagon papers or to allow the government to gag her newspaper.
Meanwhile as the first woman ever to own a newspaper she gets
little respect from her own staff.  Steven Spielberg directs a good
cast led by Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks.  Hanks's character,
Streep's editor-in-chief, is pushing for the newspaper to exercise
the First Amendment right of the newspaper.  But that way leads to
a lot of trouble.  Rating: +3

JANE
This biography of Jane Goodall shows us how by studying chimpanzees
she has changed our definition of what is and is not human.  We
see her in-depth (and continuing) study of chimpanzee behavior.  The
film is a feast for the eye with its beautiful animal photography.
Just how these images became part of the film is actually part of
the story.  This is certainly one of the year's best documentaries.
Rating: +3

FIRST THEY KILLED MY FATHER
This is an epic yet personal story, a memoir of one very young
girl.  Loung Ung, survived in Cambodia when the violently militant
Khmer Rouge controlled much of the populace.  The narrative is just
as vicious and painful as the title suggests it to be.  Angelina
Jolie directs from a script by she co-authored with the real Loung
Ung.  Rating: +3

DUNKIRK
With an unusual stylistic approach, Christopher Nolan writes and
directs his re-creation of one of the most heroic retreats in
history.  400,000 British soldiers had been fighting in Europe and
now were surrounded by Germans, stranded on the beaches of near the
French town of Dunkirk where they were vulnerable to attack from
the land, sea, and air.  At the same time as he is telling the
story, Nolan does some strange experiments with cinematic time that
the inattentive viewer (like me perhaps) might easily miss.  Rating:
+3

HAROLD AND LILLIAN: A HOLLYWOOD LOVE STORY
This is the story of the lives of a Hollywood couple, Lillian and
Harold Michelson, who were the barely-sung heroes of the Hollywood
film industry for six decades.  Harold had an instinct for how films
should look and created pitch-perfect storyboards, often
transforming the director's whole vision of the film being shot.
Lillian had a huge and astutely collected research library to find
authentic visions from around the world, from all of history, and
into the future.  The story of their private lives is a love story
of a perfect marriage.  Their visual style and knowledge shaped the
look and feel of surprisingly many classic films.  This film was
written, produced, and directed by Daniel Raim.  Rating: low +3

BREATHE
This is based on a true story.  Stricken with polio and a prognosis
of only three months to live, Robin Cavendish must first overcome
his death wish.  He then attacks his problem that he must live in
hospital with an immovable respirator.  With the help of friends he
engineers a way to live at home and then to actually move around.
His engineering solutions improved the lives of thousands of polio
victims.  Andy Serkis's directorial debut is a moving paean to the
human spirit and the possibilities of engineering.  Rating: high +2

BLADE RUNNER 2049
After thirty-five years the classic science fiction film BLADE
RUNNER gets a sequel directed by Denis Villeneuve and based on a
screenplay by Hampton Fancher among others.  The story concerns a
search for the author of the false memories implanted in replicants.
The film is a long 163 minutes starting at a contemplative (not to
say "snail's") pace, yet is a little overstuffed with action later
in the second half.  It is richer in ideas than is the original
film, though it lacks the iconic visuals that that first film did
so well.  Rating: high +2

THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM
A police detective stalks a serial killer in Victorian London and
tries to connect it to a recent killing.  The film feels as if it
was dipped in "Victorian atmosphere concentrate." The movie takes
itself very serious indeed, but the viewer can look between the
lines to see it as something of a romp.  Peter Ackroyd's 1994 novel
DAN LENO AND THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM is the basis of this dourly fun
mystery with a popular London music hall as a background.  Juan
Carlos Medina directs a screen adaptation by Jane Goldman.  The film
features the never-fail actor Bill Nighy and Olivia Cooke.  The
mystery is perhaps not enough mysterious, but the acting and the
look and feel are worth the trip.  Incidentally, one disappointment
is that the plot has virtually nothing to do with golems.  Rating:
high +2

TICKLING GIANTS
Dr. Bassem Youssef was a heart surgeon in Cairo who was fascinated
by "The Daily Show" and its host Jon Stewart.  He quit medicine and
started his own satirical daily show, patterning himself after
Stewart, but in a country where extremists can be deadly.  This
documentary, heavily laced with humor and satire, tells the story
of Youssef and his send-up show(s) under three dangerous and
autocratic presidents of Egypt.  Rating: high +2

					Mark R. Leeper
					Copyright 2018 Mark R. Leeper

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: My Top Ten Films of 2017
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 12:35:29 -0500
On 1/2/2018 12:08 PM, Mark Leeper wrote:
>                       My Top Ten Films of 2017
>                 (film comments by Mark R. Leeper)
>
> Once again it is time to pick out what I consider the best of the
> best films I saw this year and I have to bemoan the fact that I am
> just not in a position to see all the films that deserve
> recommendations.  I should not call these the top ten films of
> 2017, but the top ten I have managed to see.

Have you seen THE BIG SICK?  MUDBOUND?

From: luisbunuel <luisbunuel@aol.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 11:55:05 -0800 (PST)
From: luisbunuel@aol.com
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 12:35:31 PM UTC-5, Obveeus wrote:
> On 1/2/2018 12:08 PM, Mark Leeper wrote:
> >                       My Top Ten Films of 2017
> >                 (film comments by Mark R. Leeper)
> >
> > Once again it is time to pick out what I consider the best of the
> > best films I saw this year and I have to bemoan the fact that I am
> > just not in a position to see all the films that deserve
> > recommendations.  I should not call these the top ten films of
> > 2017, but the top ten I have managed to see.
>
> Have you seen THE BIG SICK?  MUDBOUND?

I saw the Big Sick. Haven't seen Mudbound. Big Sick was just a couple of degrees above awful for me.
It was full of moments where I thought, "Okay, it's going to kick in now. No, Now. No, NOW!" But it
didn't. It kept meandering over the same ideas repeatedly, only to suddenly throw in this massive
curve ball in the plot--a kind of WTF-ex-machina--that perfectly solved all the earlier problems.
Since the main character just isn't that funny, it made it hard to buy into a big part of the stand
up comic premise as well. I'm surprised it got as much hype as it did.

From: Mark Leeper <mleeper@optonline.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 03:53:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Mark Leeper <mleeper@optonline.net>
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 12:35:31 PM UTC-5, Obveeus wrote:
> On 1/2/2018 12:08 PM, Mark Leeper wrote:
> >                       My Top Ten Films of 2017
> >                 (film comments by Mark R. Leeper)
> >
> > Once again it is time to pick out what I consider the best of the
> > best films I saw this year and I have to bemoan the fact that I am
> > just not in a position to see all the films that deserve
> > recommendations.  I should not call these the top ten films of
> > 2017, but the top ten I have managed to see.
>
> Have you seen THE BIG SICK?  MUDBOUND?

MUDBOUND is a good film, but a painful experience.  THE BIG SICK is a pretty good film, but there
can only be ten films in the top ten.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 08:17:57 -0500
On 1/3/2018 6:53 AM, Mark Leeper wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 12:35:31 PM UTC-5, Obveeus wrote:
>> On 1/2/2018 12:08 PM, Mark Leeper wrote:
>>>                        My Top Ten Films of 2017
>>>                  (film comments by Mark R. Leeper)
>>>
>>> Once again it is time to pick out what I consider the best of the
>>> best films I saw this year and I have to bemoan the fact that I am
>>> just not in a position to see all the films that deserve
>>> recommendations.  I should not call these the top ten films of
>>> 2017, but the top ten I have managed to see.
>>
>> Have you seen THE BIG SICK?  MUDBOUND?
>
> MUDBOUND is a good film, but a painful experience.  THE BIG SICK is a pretty good film, but there
can only be ten films in the top ten.

True enough.  I was just curious if those films were part of your
consideration (on the list of films you had seen so far).  Similarly,
what about LADY BIRD and THE SHAPE OF WATER?

From: Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 13:05:28 -0600
On 1/2/2018 11:08 AM, Mark Leeper wrote:
> [...]
> Carlos Medina directs a screen adaptation by Jane Goldman.  The film
> features the never-fail actor Bill Nighy and Olivia Cooke.  The
> mystery is perhaps not enough mysterious, but the acting and the
> look and feel are worth the trip.  Incidentally, one disappointment
> is that the plot has virtually nothing to do with golems.  Rating:
> high +2
>
> TICKLING GIANTS
> Dr. Bassem Youssef was a heart surgeon in Cairo who was fascinated
> by "The Daily Show" and its host Jon Stewart.  He quit medicine and
> started his own satirical daily show, patterning himself after
> Stewart, but in a country where extremists can be deadly.  This
> documentary, heavily laced with humor and satire, tells the story
> of Youssef and his send-up show(s) under three dangerous and
> autocratic presidents of Egypt.  Rating: high +2

This year I am looking for A GHOST STORY to appear on the year-end best
10 lists.  I think those not including it are flawed.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 14:49:20 -0500
On 1/2/2018 2:05 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
> [...]
>> look and feel are worth the trip.  Incidentally, one disappointment
>> is that the plot has virtually nothing to do with golems.  Rating:
>> high +2
>>
>> TICKLING GIANTS
>> Dr. Bassem Youssef was a heart surgeon in Cairo who was fascinated
>> by "The Daily Show" and its host Jon Stewart.  He quit medicine and
>> started his own satirical daily show, patterning himself after
>> Stewart, but in a country where extremists can be deadly.  This
>> documentary, heavily laced with humor and satire, tells the story
>> of Youssef and his send-up show(s) under three dangerous and
>> autocratic presidents of Egypt.  Rating: high +2
>>

>>                     Mark R. Leeper
>>                     Copyright 2018 Mark R. Leeper
>>

> This year I am looking for A GHOST STORY to appear on the year-end best
> 10 lists.  I think those not including it are flawed.

Came out in July.  Unpropitious...

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 14:57:59 -0600
On 1/2/2018 1:49 PM, moviePig wrote:
> [...]
>>> look and feel are worth the trip.  Incidentally, one disappointment
>>> is that the plot has virtually nothing to do with golems.  Rating:
>>> high +2
>>>
>>> TICKLING GIANTS
>>> Dr. Bassem Youssef was a heart surgeon in Cairo who was fascinated
>>> by "The Daily Show" and its host Jon Stewart.  He quit medicine and
>>> started his own satirical daily show, patterning himself after
>>> Stewart, but in a country where extremists can be deadly.  This
>>> documentary, heavily laced with humor and satire, tells the story
>>> of Youssef and his send-up show(s) under three dangerous and
>>> autocratic presidents of Egypt.  Rating: high +2
>>>

>>>                     Mark R. Leeper
>>>                     Copyright 2018 Mark R. Leeper
>>>

>> This year I am looking for A GHOST STORY to appear on the year-end
>> best 10 lists.  I think those not including it are flawed.

And yet this guy at USA Today ranked it #1 for the year:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/12/26/our-critic-bri...

https://goo.gl/C84HWD

I also just noticed Leeper didn't include THREE BILLBOARDS either, so I
suppose it's best to understand his list as "the best 10 movies I saw in
2017" rather than "the best 10 of 2017."  Actually I really appreciate
his list.  There are some movies on it that I really must make an effort
to see.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 16:41:09 -0500
On 1/2/2018 3:57 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
> On 1/2/2018 1:49 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>> This year I am looking for A GHOST STORY to appear on the year-end
>>> best 10 lists.  I think those not including it are flawed.
>>
>> Came out in July.  Unpropitious...
>
> And yet this guy at USA Today ranked it #1 for the year:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/12/26/our-critic-bri...

> https://goo.gl/C84HWD

A ghost of a chance, then...

> I also just noticed Leeper didn't include THREE BILLBOARDS either, so I
> suppose it's best to understand his list as "the best 10 movies I saw in
> 2017" rather than "the best 10 of 2017."  Actually I really appreciate
> his list.  There are some movies on it that I really must make an effort
> to see.

Imo, that's the main value of lists, (respectable) nominees, etc.
Rarely do you get a film that's transparent junk.  So, even if you don't
like it, you can engage with why someone else did.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: Mark Leeper <mleeper@optonline.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 04:01:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Mark Leeper <mleeper@optonline.net>
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 3:58:11 PM UTC-5, Bill Anderson wrote:
> On 1/2/2018 1:49 PM, moviePig wrote:

> >> This year I am looking for A GHOST STORY to appear on the year-end
> >> best 10 lists.  I think those not including it are flawed.
> >
> > Came out in July.  Unpropitious...
> >

> And yet this guy at USA Today ranked it #1 for the year:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/12/26/our-critic-bri...

> https://goo.gl/C84HWD
>
> I also just noticed Leeper didn't include THREE BILLBOARDS either, so I
> suppose it's best to understand his list as "the best 10 movies I saw in
> 2017" rather than "the best 10 of 2017."  Actually I really appreciate
> his list.  There are some movies on it that I really must make an effort
> to see.
>
> --
> Bill Anderson
>
> I am the Mighty Favog

THREE BILLBOARDS would have been on a Top 15 list.  Very well acted film.  Rockwell was very good.
I think some people did not like the ending (or lack thereof).

From: Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 07:25:45 -0600
On 1/3/2018 6:01 AM, Mark Leeper wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 3:58:11 PM UTC-5, Bill Anderson wrote:

>>> Came out in July.  Unpropitious...
>>>

>> And yet this guy at USA Today ranked it #1 for the year:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/12/26/our-critic-bri...

>> https://goo.gl/C84HWD
>>
>> I also just noticed Leeper didn't include THREE BILLBOARDS either, so I
>> suppose it's best to understand his list as "the best 10 movies I saw in
>> 2017" rather than "the best 10 of 2017."  Actually I really appreciate
>> his list.  There are some movies on it that I really must make an effort
>> to see.
>>
>> --
>> Bill Anderson
>>
>> I am the Mighty Favog
>
> THREE BILLBOARDS would have been on a Top 15 list.  Very well acted film.  Rockwell was very good.
 I think some people did not like the ending (or lack thereof).

But what about A GHOST STORY?

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

From: eleeper <eleeper@optonline.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 08:20:36 -0800 (PST)
From: eleeper@optonline.net
On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 8:25:55 AM UTC-5, Bill Anderson wrote:
> On 1/3/2018 6:01 AM, Mark Leeper wrote:

> >> And yet this guy at USA Today ranked it #1 for the year:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/12/26/our-critic-bri...

> >> https://goo.gl/C84HWD
> >>
> >> I also just noticed Leeper didn't include THREE BILLBOARDS either, so I
> >> suppose it's best to understand his list as "the best 10 movies I saw in
> >> 2017" rather than "the best 10 of 2017."  Actually I really appreciate
> >> his list.  There are some movies on it that I really must make an effort
> >> to see.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bill Anderson
> >>
> >> I am the Mighty Favog
> >
> > THREE BILLBOARDS would have been on a Top 15 list.  Very well acted film.  Rockwell was very
good.  I think some people did not like the ending (or lack thereof).

> But what about A GHOST STORY?

As Mark noted, there can be only ten films on a "top ten" list.  Anyone suggesting an addition
should be required to say which film it will displace. :-)

--
Evelyn C. Leeper

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 11:33:46 -0500
On 1/4/2018 11:20 AM, eleeper@optonline.net wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 8:25:55 AM UTC-5, Bill Anderson wrote:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/12/26/our-critic-bri...

>>> THREE BILLBOARDS would have been on a Top 15 list.  Very well acted film.  Rockwell was very
good.  I think some people did not like the ending (or lack thereof).

>> But what about A GHOST STORY?
>
> As Mark noted, there can be only ten films on a "top ten" list.  Anyone suggesting an addition
should be required to say which film it will displace. :-)

As is well-known, ghosts take up no space...

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: luisbunuel <luisbunuel@aol.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 12:23:08 -0800 (PST)
From: luisbunuel@aol.com
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 12:08:05 PM UTC-5, Mark Leeper wrote:
> [...]
> Carlos Medina directs a screen adaptation by Jane Goldman.  The film
> features the never-fail actor Bill Nighy and Olivia Cooke.  The
> mystery is perhaps not enough mysterious, but the acting and the
> look and feel are worth the trip.  Incidentally, one disappointment
> is that the plot has virtually nothing to do with golems.  Rating:
> high +2
>
> TICKLING GIANTS
> Dr. Bassem Youssef was a heart surgeon in Cairo who was fascinated
> by "The Daily Show" and its host Jon Stewart.  He quit medicine and
> started his own satirical daily show, patterning himself after
> Stewart, but in a country where extremists can be deadly.  This
> documentary, heavily laced with humor and satire, tells the story
> of Youssef and his send-up show(s) under three dangerous and
> autocratic presidents of Egypt.  Rating: high +2

The Post is the only one I'm familiar with on this list, though I'm eager to see Molly's Game and
now the story board artist film because I never heard of it before. I'd also like to see the Agnes
Varda film, but that's not on your list.

The Post surprised me. It goes over the ground of a very old situation that is quite similar to what
happens in All the President's Men...and the Redford/Pakula film does it so much better. President's
Men was recently on TV so it's kind of fresh in my mind. An important difference between the two
films that gives President's Men a significant edge is that the '70s film gets into the details of
the "crimes" the reporters are trying to uncover. It isn't all just boiler plate and McGuffin.

In The Post, by contrast, the enormity of the Pentagon Papers' revelations is almost all McGuffin.
They are the ticking time bomb that a bad president wants to stop at any cost. Their substance could
consist of almost anything. The important thing is that ink-stained wretches fueled by nothing but
coffee and integrity must decide whether they're willing to go to the mat for the First Amendment,
nay, for the very survival of the Republic itself.

The film is so self serving to the characters and the institution of this particular newspaper that
half way though I coudn't help but suspect that Bezos personally commissioned The Post as a
promotional film for his new baby..

(But it does have a pretty cool coda.)

From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 07:07:02 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 12:08:05 UTC-5, Mark Leeper  wrote:
> My Top Ten Films of 2017

> MOLLY'S GAME
> This film is based on a true story.  Molly Bloom wanted to be an
> Olympic skier and came very close to making it.  Then in an instant
> she had an accident, was washed out, and had to give up her Olympic
> dreams.  By chance she ended up inheriting the job of organizing the
> most exclusive weekly poker game in the world.

Sigh.  From Murder Incorporated, to Meyer Lansky, Bugsy Siegel, to this female.  Trying to make
criminality sound acceptable, dashing, or even glamorous.  I think the only one to actually ever be
condemned was Madoff because he ripped-off his own people in addition to the goyim.

> THE POST
> Set in 1971, the owner of thejavascript:; Washington Post is faced with a
> Constitutional issue of whether to publish the contents of the
> Pentagon papers or to allow the government to gag her newspaper.

Lib media still trying to live in their glory days, supporting treason.

From: Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com>
From: Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 12:52:24 -0600
On 1/2/2018 11:08 AM, Mark Leeper wrote:
>                       My Top Ten Films of 2017
>                 (film comments by Mark R. Leeper)
>
> Once again it is time to pick out what I consider the best of the
> best films I saw this year and I have to bemoan the fact that I am
> just not in a position to see all the films that deserve
> recommendations.  I should not call these the top ten films of
> 2017, but the top ten I have managed to see.  It also is not a good
> idea putting a bunch of these films together and rank ordering
> them.  Last year there were four or five good documentaries wholly
> or in part about police brutality, race relations, and riots.  This
> year there is at least that many.  It was a topic that was very
> much in the news in 2017.  If they were seen separately and months
> apart they would probably get high ratings.  But it is hard to see
> three in a week and not down-rate them for being so similar and not
> have that affect my opinion.

"The Darkest Hour" ?

Lynn

From: Mark Leeper <mleeper@optonline.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 02:31:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Mark Leeper <mleeper@optonline.net>
On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 1:52:28 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 1/2/2018 11:08 AM, Mark Leeper wrote:
> >                       My Top Ten Films of 2017
> >                 (film comments by Mark R. Leeper)
> >
> > Once again it is time to pick out what I consider the best of the
> > best films I saw this year and I have to bemoan the fact that I am
> > just not in a position to see all the films that deserve
> > recommendations.  I should not call these the top ten films of
> > 2017, but the top ten I have managed to see.  It also is not a good
> > idea putting a bunch of these films together and rank ordering
> > them.  Last year there were four or five good documentaries wholly
> > or in part about police brutality, race relations, and riots.  This
> > year there is at least that many.  It was a topic that was very
> > much in the news in 2017.  If they were seen separately and months
> > apart they would probably get high ratings.  But it is hard to see
> > three in a week and not down-rate them for being so similar and not
> > have that affect my opinion.
>
> "The Darkest Hour" ?
>
> Lynn

I enjoyed it.  I understand some of the history is wrong, but it is an enjoyable look at British
WWII history in Britain.  It goes well with DUNKIRK.  But again there can be only ten films in a top
ten list.

From: Mark Leeper <mleeper@optonline.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 04:11:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Mark Leeper <mleeper@optonline.net>
On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 1:52:28 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 1/2/2018 11:08 AM, Mark Leeper wrote:
> >                       My Top Ten Films of 2017
> >                 (film comments by Mark R. Leeper)
> >

> "The Darkest Hour" ?
>
> Lynn

It is not entirely accurate in some minor ways.  Churchill often sought the opinions of the
commoners but he did not take the underground and here he would have gone only one stop.  Oldman did
not look a lot like Churchill but he looked a lot less like Oldman.  It is one of the best films of
the year but I thought there were ten films that were better. It does make a good pairing with
DUNKIRK.

From: eleeper <eleeper@optonline.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 06:43:28 -0800 (PST)
From: eleeper@optonline.net
On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 7:11:42 AM UTC-5, Mark Leeper wrote:
> On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 1:52:28 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > On 1/2/2018 11:08 AM, Mark Leeper wrote:
> > >                       My Top Ten Films of 2017
> > >                 (film comments by Mark R. Leeper)
> > >

> > "The Darkest Hour" ?
> >
> > Lynn
>
> It is not entirely accurate in some minor ways.  Churchill often sought the opinions of the
commoners but he did not take the underground and here he would have gone only one stop.  Oldman did
not look a lot like Churchill but he looked a lot less like Oldman.  It is one of the best films of
the year but I thought there were ten films that were better. It does make a good pairing with
DUNKIRK.

Nitpick: It's just "Darkest Hour".  "The Darkest Hour" is a 2011 SF film.

==
Evelyn C. Leeper

From: SLGreg <SLGreg@madeitup.com>
From: SLGreg <SLGreg@madeitup.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 06:44:40 -0800
On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 06:43:28 -0800 (PST), eleeper@optonline.net wrote:

>On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 7:11:42 AM UTC-5, Mark Leeper wrote:
>> > >

>> > "The Darkest Hour" ?
>> >
>> > Lynn
>>
>> It is not entirely accurate in some minor ways.  Churchill often sought the opinions of the
commoners but he did not take the underground and here he would have gone only one stop.  Oldman did
not look a lot like Churchill but he looked a lot less like Oldman.  It is one of the best films of
the year but I thought there were ten films that were better. It does make a good pairing with
DUNKIRK.

>Nitpick: It's just "Darkest Hour".  "The Darkest Hour" is a 2011 SF film.
>
>==
>Evelyn C. Leeper

Nitpick: You posted this three times.
--
 - greg

From: eleeper <eleeper@optonline.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2018 06:53:43 -0800 (PST)
From: eleeper@optonline.net
On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 9:45:20 AM UTC-5, SLGreg wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 06:43:28 -0800 (PST), eleeper@optonline.net wrote:

> >> It is not entirely accurate in some minor ways.  Churchill often sought the opinions of the
commoners but he did not take the underground and here he would have gone only one stop.  Oldman did
not look a lot like Churchill but he looked a lot less like Oldman.  It is one of the best films of
the year but I thought there were ten films that were better. It does make a good pairing with
DUNKIRK.

> >Nitpick: It's just "Darkest Hour".  "The Darkest Hour" is a 2011 SF film..
> >
> >==
> >Evelyn C. Leeper
>
> Nitpick: You posted this three times.
> --
>  - greg

Sorry about the multiple posts--it kept failing to show up as posted. :-(

==
Evelyn C. Leeper

From: eleeper <eleeper@optonline.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 06:40:59 -0800 (PST)
From: eleeper@optonline.net

From: eleeper <eleeper@optonline.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 06:42:17 -0800 (PST)
From: eleeper@optonline.net

From: hector <bobble@there.com>
From: hector <bobble@there.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2018 15:51:20 +1100
On 3/01/2018 4:08 AM, Mark Leeper wrote:
> [...]
> girl.  Loung Ung, survived in Cambodia when the violently militant
> Khmer Rouge controlled much of the populace.  The narrative is just
> as vicious and painful as the title suggests it to be.  Angelina
> Jolie directs from a script by she co-authored with the real Loung
> Ung.  Rating: +3
>
> DUNKIRK
> With an unusual stylistic approach, Christopher Nolan writes and
> directs his re-creation of one of the most heroic retreats in
> history.  400,000 British soldiers had been fighting in Europe and
> now were surrounded by Germans, stranded on the beaches of near the
> French town of Dunkirk where they were vulnerable to attack from
> the land, sea, and air.  At the same time as he is telling the
> story, Nolan does some strange experiments with cinematic time that
> the inattentive viewer (like me perhaps) might easily miss.  Rating:

It was an action movie about people getting trapped in a boat, amongst
other things.  I'm finding it harder to remember it.

From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Full headers:
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2018 09:42:02 +1300
On 2018-01-02 17:08:02 +0000, Mark Leeper said:

>                      My Top Ten Films of 2017
>                (film comments by Mark R. Leeper)
<snip>

The top film of 2017, according to the National Society of Film
Critics, was "Lady Bird", with runners-up "Get Out" and "Phantom
Thread" ... all boring crap (I wouldn't even waste my time watching
them on broadcast TV for free!), as usual with silly critics' awards.

'Lady Bird' Named Best Film of 2017 by National Society of Film Critics
<http://variety.com/2018/film/awards/lady-bird-named-best-film-of-20...

From: Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2018 15:01:33 -0600
On 1/6/2018 2:42 PM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2018-01-02 17:08:02 +0000, Mark Leeper said:
>>
>>                      My Top Ten Films of 2017
>>                (film comments by Mark R. Leeper)
> <snip>
>
> The top film of 2017, according to the National Society of Film Critics,
> was "Lady Bird", with runners-up "Get Out" and "Phantom Thread" ... all
> boring crap (I wouldn't even waste my time watching them on broadcast TV
> for free!), as usual with silly critics' awards.
>
> 'Lady Bird' Named Best Film of 2017 by National Society of Film Critics

<http://variety.com/2018/film/awards/lady-bird-named-best-film-of-20...

After FRANCES HA I vowed never again to allow glowing reviews to sucker
me into watching a Greta Gerwig movie.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Next <
From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2018 13:23:44 -0800 (PST)
From: william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com>
On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 4:01:40 PM UTC-5, Bill Anderson wrote:

> After FRANCES HA I vowed never again to allow glowing reviews to sucker
> me into watching a Greta Gerwig movie.

No kidding.