> Prev
From: T987654321 <qwrtz123@gmail.com>
Subject: Blade Runner 2049
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 02:40:16 -0800 (PST)
From: T987654321 <qwrtz123@gmail.com>
Blade Runner 2049
2017 R Rated R  2hr 43m

Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling),
unearths a long buried secret that has the potential to plunge what's left of society into chaos.
K's discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner
who has been missing for 30 years.

Cast: Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford, Jared Leto, more...

At first I was underwhemed, 2049 just looked like one more knockoff of Blade Runner, but the
characters are deeper than that.  All the casting is spot on, and Ford puts in an exceptional
performance.  It's just, I don't know the ending; bubble girl is the daughter?  Even when the
assistant clearly becomes a redharing I was kind of hopping she was the daughter.

From: ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <@ednolan>
Subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
Full headers:
From: ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: 30 Jan 2018 17:21:46 GMT
In article<922dcec8-5180-4424-9dba-6f9472aad48a@googlegroups.com>,
T987654321<qwrtz123@gmail.com> wrote:
>Blade Runner 2049
>2017 R Rated R  2hr 43m
>
>Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner,
>LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long buried secret that has
>the potential to plunge what's left of society into chaos. K's discovery
>leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD
>blade runner who has been missing for 30 years.
>
>Cast: Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford, Jared Leto, more...
>

>At first I was underwhemed, 2049 just looked like one more knockoff of
>Blade Runner, but the characters are deeper than that.  All the casting
>is spot on, and Ford puts in an exceptional performance.  It's just, I
>don't know the ending; bubble girl is the daughter?  Even when the
>assistant clearly becomes a redharing I was kind of hopping she was the
>daughter.

But you have to admit the clues are there, clever and given very fairly.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

From: Michael OConnor <mpoconnor7@aol.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 10:59:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Michael OConnor <mpoconnor7@aol.com>
Why would the only female replicant who was able to reproduce being kept in a protective dome where
she was unable to bear children?  As she was about 29 years old she only had so many childbearing
years left in her.

The flip side that Wallace alluded to was perhaps there might have been something special about
Deckard (if he is a replicant) also, that Tyrell intended to get him and Rachel together and fall in
love and have a replicant child.  In that case, I would have expected Wallace to have required an
autopsy of Deckard or at the very least a sperm sample to see if there was something different about
him if he were in fact a replicant.  I've been on  the fence about the Deckard is a replicant issue,
but after his meeting with Wallace, am convinced that Wallace knew he was a replicant.

I thought Blade Runner 2049 was really good, a sequel that was worth the wait, and one of the ten
best sci-fi films of the decade.  The casting was great, I loved the Gaff cameo, and Jared Leto is
one of the most fascinating actors of his generation.  Harrison Ford, I believe, has become a better
actor as he has aged, and again he gave a great performance.  (I thought Ford deserved a Best
Supporting Oscar nom for his Branch Rickey role in the Jackie Robinson biopic 42 from a couple years
ago.) I thought Harrison Ford was always a pretty good actor, but nobody ever really asked him to
act, they just wanted him to play Han Solo or Indiana Jones.

The special effects were extraordinary, and this movie will win all of the technical Oscars it is
nominated for.  It should have been nominated for Best Picture.

From: Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 11:57:08 -0600
On 1/30/2018 12:59 PM, Michael OConnor wrote:
> Why would the only female replicant who was able to reproduce being kept in a protective dome
where she was unable to bear children?  As she was about 29 years old she only had so many
childbearing years left in her.

> The flip side that Wallace alluded to was perhaps there might have been something special about
Deckard (if he is a replicant) also, that Tyrell intended to get him and Rachel together and fall in
love and have a replicant child.  In that case, I would have expected Wallace to have required an
autopsy of Deckard or at the very least a sperm sample to see if there was something different about
him if he were in fact a replicant.  I've been on  the fence about the Deckard is a replicant issue,
but after his meeting with Wallace, am convinced that Wallace knew he was a replicant.

> I thought Blade Runner 2049 was really good, a sequel that was worth the wait, and one of the ten
best sci-fi films of the decade.  The casting was great, I loved the Gaff cameo, and Jared Leto is
one of the most fascinating actors of his generation.  Harrison Ford, I believe, has become a better
actor as he has aged, and again he gave a great performance.  (I thought Ford deserved a Best
Supporting Oscar nom for his Branch Rickey role in the Jackie Robinson biopic 42 from a couple years
ago.) I thought Harrison Ford was always a pretty good actor, but nobody ever really asked him to
act, they just wanted him to play Han Solo or Indiana Jones.

> The special effects were extraordinary, and this movie will win all of the technical Oscars it is
nominated for.  It should have been nominated for Best Picture.

I enjoyed the movie too, but I came away perplexed about whether I'm
supposed to think Deckerd is a replicant.  I began watching the movie
100% convinced he was a replicant as I had paid attention to the clues
in the original film and I thought there was no question.  When I came
out of BR2049 my certainty had been shaken -- and then I read reviews
that just flat out assumed everyone agrees Deckerd is human. Where'd
they come up with that?  I dunno.

So...can you please explain to me in just a bit more detail what you saw
in the meeting with Wallace that confirms he is a replicant?

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Next <
From: m.balarama <pandava@sbcglobal.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 06:52:29 -0800 (PST)
From: "m.balarama" <pandava@sbcglobal.net>
I found the new blade runner 2049-very boring--wanted to leave-guess you had to see the first one-
watch it on tv--don't waste the movie money