> Prev
From: SLGreg <SLGreg@madeitup.com>
Subject: THE SQUARE (Sweden) 2017
From: SLGreg <SLGreg@madeitup.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 05:31:24 -0800
My first venture into the foreign nominees for best picture didn't
disappoint.  Ruben Ostlund (FORCE MAJEURE) tackles the world of high
art, class distinctions, and man's increasing isolation and lack of
humanity.

Christian (Claes Bang), is the curator of a modern art museum in
Stockholm.  Pretentious and smug, he bullshits his way through life,
basically getting what he wants on charm alone. The plot (somewhat)
centers around a controversial You Tube video that gets mistakenly
released, putting Christian's future in jeopardy.

At 2.5 hours long, it's a marathon of odd sub plots and Scandinavian
weirdness, including Elizabeth Moss as an American journalist, with a
pet ape.

Enjoy!
--
 - greg

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: Re: THE SQUARE (Sweden) 2017
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2018 13:54:54 -0500
On 2/3/2018 8:31 AM, SLGreg wrote:
> My first venture into the foreign nominees for best picture didn't
> disappoint.  Ruben Ostlund (FORCE MAJEURE) tackles the world of high
> art, class distinctions, and man's increasing isolation and lack of
> humanity.
>
> Christian (Claes Bang), is the curator of a modern art museum in
> Stockholm.  Pretentious and smug, he bullshits his way through life,
> basically getting what he wants on charm alone. The plot (somewhat)
> centers around a controversial You Tube video that gets mistakenly
> released, putting Christian's future in jeopardy.
>
> At 2.5 hours long, it's a marathon of odd sub plots and Scandinavian
> weirdness, including Elizabeth Moss as an American journalist, with a
> pet ape.
>
> Enjoy!

Though unplanned, I watched it two sittings, which probably helped.  (I
didn't know it was the FORCE MAJEURE guy -- that would've helped, too.)
Fwiw, the DVD has a 10-minute making-of on just the dining-room sequence
-- which nevertheless sheds some light on the whole movie, imo.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: SLGreg <SLGreg@madeitup.com>
From: SLGreg <SLGreg@madeitup.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 11:07:16 -0800
On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 13:54:54 -0500, moviePig<pwallace@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>On 2/3/2018 8:31 AM, SLGreg wrote:
>> My first venture into the foreign nominees for best picture didn't
>> disappoint.  Ruben Ostlund (FORCE MAJEURE) tackles the world of high
>> art, class distinctions, and man's increasing isolation and lack of
>> humanity.
>>
>> Christian (Claes Bang), is the curator of a modern art museum in
>> Stockholm.  Pretentious and smug, he bullshits his way through life,
>> basically getting what he wants on charm alone. The plot (somewhat)
>> centers around a controversial You Tube video that gets mistakenly
>> released, putting Christian's future in jeopardy.
>>
>> At 2.5 hours long, it's a marathon of odd sub plots and Scandinavian
>> weirdness, including Elizabeth Moss as an American journalist, with a
>> pet ape.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>
>Though unplanned, I watched it two sittings, which probably helped.  (I
>didn't know it was the FORCE MAJEURE guy -- that would've helped, too.)
>Fwiw, the DVD has a 10-minute making-of on just the dining-room sequence
>-- which nevertheless sheds some light on the whole movie, imo.

The dining-room sequence was brilliant and, I feel, kind of summed up
what Ostlund was most interested in communicating to us.
--
 - greg

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2018 14:57:48 -0500
On 2/3/2018 2:07 PM, SLGreg wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 13:54:54 -0500, moviePig<pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/3/2018 8:31 AM, SLGreg wrote:
>>> My first venture into the foreign nominees for best picture didn't
>>> disappoint.  Ruben Ostlund (FORCE MAJEURE) tackles the world of high
>>> art, class distinctions, and man's increasing isolation and lack of
>>> humanity.
>>>
>>> Christian (Claes Bang), is the curator of a modern art museum in
>>> Stockholm.  Pretentious and smug, he bullshits his way through life,
>>> basically getting what he wants on charm alone. The plot (somewhat)
>>> centers around a controversial You Tube video that gets mistakenly
>>> released, putting Christian's future in jeopardy.
>>>
>>> At 2.5 hours long, it's a marathon of odd sub plots and Scandinavian
>>> weirdness, including Elizabeth Moss as an American journalist, with a
>>> pet ape.
>>>
>>> Enjoy!
>>
>> Though unplanned, I watched it two sittings, which probably helped.  (I
>> didn't know it was the FORCE MAJEURE guy -- that would've helped, too.)
>> Fwiw, the DVD has a 10-minute making-of on just the dining-room sequence
>> -- which nevertheless sheds some light on the whole movie, imo.
>
> The dining-room sequence was brilliant and, I feel, kind of summed up
> what Ostlund was most interested in communicating to us.

Fwiw, the actor without lines get secondary (i.e., top four) billing,
along with Elisabeth Moss and Dominic West.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: jgrove24 <jgrove24@hotmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 18:05:14 -0800 (PST)
From: jgrove24@hotmail.com
On Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 12:54:59 PM UTC-6, moviePig wrote:
> On 2/3/2018 8:31 AM, SLGreg wrote:
> > My first venture into the foreign nominees for best picture didn't
> > disappoint.  Ruben Ostlund (FORCE MAJEURE) tackles the world of high
> > art, class distinctions, and man's increasing isolation and lack of
> > humanity.
> >
> > Christian (Claes Bang), is the curator of a modern art museum in
> > Stockholm.  Pretentious and smug, he bullshits his way through life,
> > basically getting what he wants on charm alone. The plot (somewhat)
> > centers around a controversial You Tube video that gets mistakenly
> > released, putting Christian's future in jeopardy.
> >
> > At 2.5 hours long, it's a marathon of odd sub plots and Scandinavian
> > weirdness, including Elizabeth Moss as an American journalist, with a
> > pet ape.
> >
> > Enjoy!
>
> Though unplanned, I watched it two sittings, which probably helped.  (I
> didn't know it was the FORCE MAJEURE guy -- that would've helped, too.)
> Fwiw, the DVD has a 10-minute making-of on just the dining-room sequence
> -- which nevertheless sheds some light on the whole movie, imo.

I'll probably finish it in 4 sittings. This is my second Euro-museum insite film, the first was
about the Rejks museum in Amsterdam.

Next <
From: jgrove24 <jgrove24@hotmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 13:27:12 -0800 (PST)
From: jgrove24@hotmail.com
On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 8:05:17 PM UTC-6, jgro...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 12:54:59 PM UTC-6, moviePig wrote:
> > On 2/3/2018 8:31 AM, SLGreg wrote:
> > > My first venture into the foreign nominees for best picture didn't
> > > disappoint.  Ruben Ostlund (FORCE MAJEURE) tackles the world of high
> > > art, class distinctions, and man's increasing isolation and lack of
> > > humanity.
> > >
> > > Christian (Claes Bang), is the curator of a modern art museum in
> > > Stockholm.  Pretentious and smug, he bullshits his way through life,
> > > basically getting what he wants on charm alone. The plot (somewhat)
> > > centers around a controversial You Tube video that gets mistakenly
> > > released, putting Christian's future in jeopardy.
> > >
> > > At 2.5 hours long, it's a marathon of odd sub plots and Scandinavian
> > > weirdness, including Elizabeth Moss as an American journalist, with a
> > > pet ape.
> > >
> > > Enjoy!
> >
> > Though unplanned, I watched it two sittings, which probably helped.  (I
> > didn't know it was the FORCE MAJEURE guy -- that would've helped, too.)
> > Fwiw, the DVD has a 10-minute making-of on just the dining-room sequence
> > -- which nevertheless sheds some light on the whole movie, imo.
> >

> I'll probably finish it in 4 sittings. This is my second Euro-museum insite film, the first was
about the Rejks museum in Amsterdam.

The finale is kind of boring, in the same vein as the Sopranoes ending. Skip this one if you've got
better stuff to watch.