> Prev
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: GOD'S OWN COUNTRY (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 11:46:20 -0500
Two young men, tending sheep in a picturesque mountainous setting,
discover their forbidden physical attraction for each other.  No, this
time it's Scotland, and, truth be told, GOD'S OWN COUNTRY is very much
its own -- and quite watchable -- film.  (Its arrestingly graphic
sequences all have to do with care of animals.)  Still, although it
doesn't feel like a "gay-normative" flick, I can't pinpoint what
narrative function the sexual orientation serves -- Montagues and
Capulets, maybe.  Regardless, GOC is well-executed, and recommended.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: SLGreg <SLGreg@madeitup.com>
Subject: Re: GOD'S OWN COUNTRY (no spoilers)
From: SLGreg <SLGreg@madeitup.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 05:08:15 -0800
On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 11:46:20 -0500, moviePig<pwallace@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>Two young men, tending sheep in a picturesque mountainous setting,
>discover their forbidden physical attraction for each other.  No, this
>time it's Scotland, and, truth be told, GOD'S OWN COUNTRY is very much
>its own -- and quite watchable -- film.  (Its arrestingly graphic
>sequences all have to do with care of animals.)  Still, although it
>doesn't feel like a "gay-normative" flick, I can't pinpoint what
>narrative function the sexual orientation serves -- Montagues and
>Capulets, maybe.  Regardless, GOC is well-executed, and recommended.

Kind of a "Brokeback Mountain" goes to mucky Yorkshire, minus any
women they destroyed. Hard to discuss without spoilers, but Josh
O'Connor as Johnny Saxby did a remarkable job growing and shaping his
troubled character from start to finish, with the dreamy, idealistic
Romanian farm laborer Alec Secareanu as Gheorghe Ionescu.  A
satisfying ending really helped, too. Nicely paced and recommended
from me, as well.
--
 - greg

Next <
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 09:26:18 -0500
On 2/5/2018 8:08 AM, SLGreg wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 11:46:20 -0500, moviePig<pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Two young men, tending sheep in a picturesque mountainous setting,
>> discover their forbidden physical attraction for each other.  No, this
>> time it's Scotland, and, truth be told, GOD'S OWN COUNTRY is very much
>> its own -- and quite watchable -- film.  (Its arrestingly graphic
>> sequences all have to do with care of animals.)  Still, although it
>> doesn't feel like a "gay-normative" flick, I can't pinpoint what
>> narrative function the sexual orientation serves -- Montagues and
>> Capulets, maybe.  Regardless, GOC is well-executed, and recommended.
>
> Kind of a "Brokeback Mountain" goes to mucky Yorkshire, minus any
> women they destroyed. Hard to discuss without spoilers, but Josh
> O'Connor as Johnny Saxby did a remarkable job growing and shaping his
> troubled character from start to finish, with the dreamy, idealistic
> Romanian farm laborer Alec Secareanu as Gheorghe Ionescu.  A
> satisfying ending really helped, too. Nicely paced and recommended
> from me, as well.

My geographic parochialism is showing... yeah, Yorkshire not Scotland.

--

   YOUR taste at work...