> Prev
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: NOCTURNE (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 17:33:18 -0500
Six high-school seniors gather for an evening of partying and spooky
soul-searching.  For the first half of its 90 minutes, NOCTURNE promises
a somewhat stylish and above-average horror-flick.  Then the second-half
goes off the rails like a bent bicycle.  Minimally recommended.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: NOCTURNE (no spoilers)
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 17:47:42 -0500
On 2/6/2018 5:33 PM, moviePig wrote:

> Six high-school seniors gather for an evening of partying and spooky
> soul-searching.  For the first half of its 90 minutes, NOCTURNE promises
> a somewhat stylish and above-average horror-flick.  Then the second-half
> goes off the rails like a bent bicycle.  Minimally recommended.

NOCTURNE a film that really does look like a direct to DVD offering with
a 4.7 IMDB score and yet you watched this while forgoing the 6.0 THE
CLOVERFIELD PARADOX?

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 18:25:37 -0500
On 2/6/2018 5:47 PM, Obveeus wrote:

> On 2/6/2018 5:33 PM, moviePig wrote:
>>
>> Six high-school seniors gather for an evening of partying and spooky
>> soul-searching.  For the first half of its 90 minutes, NOCTURNE
>> promises a somewhat stylish and above-average horror-flick.  Then the
>> second-half goes off the rails like a bent bicycle.  Minimally
>> recommended.
>
> NOCTURNE a film that really does look like a direct to DVD offering with
> a 4.7 IMDB score and yet you watched this while forgoing the 6.0 THE
> CLOVERFIELD PARADOX?

I go into each movie pursuing a glimmer of hope.  But a movie being
blatantly painted over to ride another's coattails snuffs that out.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 22:59:00 -0500
On 2/6/2018 6:25 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 2/6/2018 5:47 PM, Obveeus wrote:
>>

>> On 2/6/2018 5:33 PM, moviePig wrote:
>>>
>>> Six high-school seniors gather for an evening of partying and spooky
>>> soul-searching.  For the first half of its 90 minutes, NOCTURNE
>>> promises a somewhat stylish and above-average horror-flick.  Then the
>>> second-half goes off the rails like a bent bicycle.  Minimally
>>> recommended.
>>
>> NOCTURNE a film that really does look like a direct to DVD offering
>> with a 4.7 IMDB score and yet you watched this while forgoing the 6.0
>> THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX?
>
> I go into each movie pursuing a glimmer of hope.  But a movie being
> blatantly painted over to ride another's coattails snuffs that out.

By 'painted over', I guess you me rewrite draft of a script?

Side note:  the last CLOVERFIELD film (10 CLOVERFIELD LANE) was also a
rewrite of a different spec film script (THE CELLAR).

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 09:18:14 -0500
On 2/6/2018 10:59 PM, Obveeus wrote:
> On 2/6/2018 6:25 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>> NOCTURNE a film that really does look like a direct to DVD offering
>>> with a 4.7 IMDB score and yet you watched this while forgoing the 6.0
>>> THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX?
>>
>> I go into each movie pursuing a glimmer of hope.  But a movie being
>> blatantly painted over to ride another's coattails snuffs that out.
>
> By 'painted over', I guess you me rewrite draft of a script?
>
> Side note:  the last CLOVERFIELD film (10 CLOVERFIELD LANE) was also a
> rewrite of a different spec film script (THE CELLAR).

If tCP was merely a rewrite, i.e., was "Cloverfield"ed before the
cameras ever rolled, that'd make a difference to me.  But I thought it
was filmed, shelved, and then re-titled with extreme prejudice.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 10:41:07 -0500
On 2/7/2018 9:18 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 2/6/2018 10:59 PM, Obveeus wrote:

>>> I go into each movie pursuing a glimmer of hope.  But a movie being
>>> blatantly painted over to ride another's coattails snuffs that out.
>>
>> By 'painted over', I guess you me rewrite draft of a script?
>>
>> Side note:  the last CLOVERFIELD film (10 CLOVERFIELD LANE) was also a
>> rewrite of a different spec film script (THE CELLAR).
>
> If tCP was merely a rewrite, i.e., was "Cloverfield"ed before the
> cameras ever rolled, that'd make a difference to me.  But I thought it
> was filmed, shelved, and then re-titled with extreme prejudice.

 From wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloverfield_Paradox

QUOTE:
The film was shot in Los Angeles, California, where it received tax
credits under the state's film incentive program.[19] While filming in
Los Angeles, the project was shot under the titles of God Particle and
Clean Pass.[20] Filming began on June 10, 2016 and wrapped on September
23, 2016.[17] According to Uziel, it was during production that he came
to learn that the film was being connected to Cloverfield, requiring him
to rewrite a few scenes and added addition shooting.[9] Uziel speculated
that the decision to connect to Cloverfield was due to the difficulty in
marketing a stand-alone science-fiction film at the time, and felt the
connection between the films was more of an anthology series similar to
The Twilight Zone, with each movie dealing with how people with complex
relations deal with a other-worldly dilemma.[9]
:UNQUOTE

That paragraph would appear to me to indicate that the rewriting and
filming of CLOVERFIELD tie-in stuff occurred during the original filming
of the project.  there is other stuff at the link that hints that the
script sat around for a few years before any filming began (probably
because most scripts do and because of studio/ownership changes).  Also,
after filming, the link explains some delay in release as they worked on
an ARG video game tie-in and wrung their hands about how the high cost
of the film would prevent it from becoming a theatrical success.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 12:31:34 -0500
On 2/7/2018 10:41 AM, Obveeus wrote:

> On 2/7/2018 9:18 AM, moviePig wrote:

>>> By 'painted over', I guess you me rewrite draft of a script?
>>>
>>> Side note:  the last CLOVERFIELD film (10 CLOVERFIELD LANE) was also
>>> a rewrite of a different spec film script (THE CELLAR).
>>
>> If tCP was merely a rewrite, i.e., was "Cloverfield"ed before the
>> cameras ever rolled, that'd make a difference to me.  But I thought it
>> was filmed, shelved, and then re-titled with extreme prejudice.
>
>  From wiki:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloverfield_Paradox
>
> QUOTE:
> The film was shot in Los Angeles, California, where it received tax
> credits under the state's film incentive program.[19] While filming in
> Los Angeles, the project was shot under the titles of God Particle and
> Clean Pass.[20] Filming began on June 10, 2016 and wrapped on September
> 23, 2016.[17] According to Uziel, it was during production that he came
> to learn that the film was being connected to Cloverfield, requiring him
> to rewrite a few scenes and added addition shooting.[9] Uziel speculated
> that the decision to connect to Cloverfield was due to the difficulty in
> marketing a stand-alone science-fiction film at the time, and felt the
> connection between the films was more of an anthology series similar to
> The Twilight Zone, with each movie dealing with how people with complex
> relations deal with a other-worldly dilemma.[9]
> :UNQUOTE
>

> That paragraph would appear to me to indicate that the rewriting and
> filming of CLOVERFIELD tie-in stuff occurred during the original filming
> of the project.  there is other stuff at the link that hints that the
> script sat around for a few years before any filming began (probably
> because most scripts do and because of studio/ownership changes).  Also,
> after filming, the link explains some delay in release as they worked on
> an ARG video game tie-in and wrung their hands about how the high cost
> of the film would prevent it from becoming a theatrical success.

So he did the re-writes "during" shooting, a sort-of hybrid status.
Then, however, they judged the result unworthy of theaters.  A year
later, the Netflix deal materialized.

Afaics, the most favorable indicator therein is the Netflix badge --
better than, say, a Showtime premiere, but not as auspicious as a 2,000
theater Friday.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 20:37:55 -0500
On 2/7/2018 12:31 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 2/7/2018 10:41 AM, Obveeus wrote:

>>> If tCP was merely a rewrite, i.e., was "Cloverfield"ed before the
>>> cameras ever rolled, that'd make a difference to me.  But I thought
>>> it was filmed, shelved, and then re-titled with extreme prejudice.
>>
>>  From wiki:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloverfield_Paradox
>>
>> QUOTE:
>> The film was shot in Los Angeles, California, where it received tax
>> credits under the state's film incentive program.[19] While filming in
>> Los Angeles, the project was shot under the titles of God Particle and
>> Clean Pass.[20] Filming began on June 10, 2016 and wrapped on
>> September 23, 2016.[17] According to Uziel, it was during production
>> that he came to learn that the film was being connected to
>> Cloverfield, requiring him to rewrite a few scenes and added addition
>> shooting.[9] Uziel speculated that the decision to connect to
>> Cloverfield was due to the difficulty in marketing a stand-alone
>> science-fiction film at the time, and felt the connection between the
>> films was more of an anthology series similar to The Twilight Zone,
>> with each movie dealing with how people with complex relations deal
>> with a other-worldly dilemma.[9]
>> :UNQUOTE
>>

>> That paragraph would appear to me to indicate that the rewriting and
>> filming of CLOVERFIELD tie-in stuff occurred during the original
>> filming of the project.  there is other stuff at the link that hints
>> that the script sat around for a few years before any filming began
>> (probably because most scripts do and because of studio/ownership
>> changes).  Also, after filming, the link explains some delay in
>> release as they worked on an ARG video game tie-in and wrung their
>> hands about how the high cost of the film would prevent it from
>> becoming a theatrical success.
>
> So he did the re-writes "during" shooting, a sort-of hybrid status.
> Then, however, they judged the result unworthy of theaters.  A year
> later, the Netflix deal materialized.
>
> Afaics, the most favorable indicator therein is the Netflix badge --
> better than, say, a Showtime premiere, but not as auspicious as a 2,000
> theater Friday.

What if it was a 2,000 theater opening in February?
We are in the month when garbage is traditionally dumped to the big screens.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 22:11:04 -0500
On 2/7/2018 8:37 PM, Obveeus wrote:

> On 2/7/2018 12:31 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>>  From wiki:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloverfield_Paradox
>>>
>>> QUOTE:
>>> The film was shot in Los Angeles, California, where it received tax
>>> credits under the state's film incentive program.[19] While filming
>>> in Los Angeles, the project was shot under the titles of God Particle
>>> and Clean Pass.[20] Filming began on June 10, 2016 and wrapped on
>>> September 23, 2016.[17] According to Uziel, it was during production
>>> that he came to learn that the film was being connected to
>>> Cloverfield, requiring him to rewrite a few scenes and added addition
>>> shooting.[9] Uziel speculated that the decision to connect to
>>> Cloverfield was due to the difficulty in marketing a stand-alone
>>> science-fiction film at the time, and felt the connection between the
>>> films was more of an anthology series similar to The Twilight Zone,
>>> with each movie dealing with how people with complex relations deal
>>> with a other-worldly dilemma.[9]
>>> :UNQUOTE
>>>

>>> That paragraph would appear to me to indicate that the rewriting and
>>> filming of CLOVERFIELD tie-in stuff occurred during the original
>>> filming of the project.  there is other stuff at the link that hints
>>> that the script sat around for a few years before any filming began
>>> (probably because most scripts do and because of studio/ownership
>>> changes).  Also, after filming, the link explains some delay in
>>> release as they worked on an ARG video game tie-in and wrung their
>>> hands about how the high cost of the film would prevent it from
>>> becoming a theatrical success.
>>
>> So he did the re-writes "during" shooting, a sort-of hybrid status.
>> Then, however, they judged the result unworthy of theaters.  A year
>> later, the Netflix deal materialized.
>>
>> Afaics, the most favorable indicator therein is the Netflix badge --
>> better than, say, a Showtime premiere, but not as auspicious as a
>> 2,000 theater Friday.
>
> What if it was a 2,000 theater opening in February?
> We are in the month when garbage is traditionally dumped to the big
> screens.

Without researching, my sense is that, over the past 10 or 15 years, the
wee months have seen more respectable thriller/horrors than previously.
And remember, this is a February *streaming* release.  Still, of course,
I'll welcome any firsthand reports that I'm wrong...

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 09:33:59 -0500
On 2/7/2018 10:11 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 2/7/2018 8:37 PM, Obveeus wrote:

>>> So he did the re-writes "during" shooting, a sort-of hybrid status.
>>> Then, however, they judged the result unworthy of theaters.  A year
>>> later, the Netflix deal materialized.
>>>
>>> Afaics, the most favorable indicator therein is the Netflix badge --
>>> better than, say, a Showtime premiere, but not as auspicious as a
>>> 2,000 theater Friday.
>>
>> What if it was a 2,000 theater opening in February?
>> We are in the month when garbage is traditionally dumped to the big
>> screens.
>
> Without researching, my sense is that, over the past 10 or 15 years, the
> wee months have seen more respectable thriller/horrors than previously.

Respectable horrors...like military intelligence?  Horror is the genre
most associated with schlock.

> And remember, this is a February *streaming* release.  Still, of course,
> I'll welcome any firsthand reports that I'm wrong...

An article addressing the last couple of CLOVERFIELD films as rewrites
of unrelated stand alone scripts as well as some other films like
DIEHARD WITH A VENGENCE, SAW II, EVAN ALMIGHTY and (almost) SOLACE:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/08/the-sequel-paradox-when...

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 10:09:52 -0500
On 2/8/2018 9:33 AM, Obveeus wrote:

> On 2/7/2018 10:11 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>> What if it was a 2,000 theater opening in February?
>>> We are in the month when garbage is traditionally dumped to the big
>>> screens.
>>
>> Without researching, my sense is that, over the past 10 or 15 years,
>> the wee months have seen more respectable thriller/horrors than
>> previously.
>
> Respectable horrors...like military intelligence?  Horror is the genre
> most associated with schlock.

Well, yes.  As much as I seek out horror, my cinematic standards for it
are... umm... lower.  They have to be...

>> And remember, this is a February *streaming* release.  Still, of
>> course, I'll welcome any firsthand reports that I'm wrong...
>
> An article addressing the last couple of CLOVERFIELD films as rewrites
> of unrelated stand alone scripts as well as some other films like
> DIEHARD WITH A VENGENCE, SAW II, EVAN ALMIGHTY and (almost) SOLACE:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/08/the-sequel-paradox-when...

Pretty good.  And of course I saw most of those, with nary a suspicion.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: bermuda999 <bermuda999@aol.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 23:14:49 -0800 (PST)
From: bermuda999 <bermuda999@aol.com>
On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 8:37:55 PM UTC-5, Obveeus wrote:
> On 2/7/2018 12:31 PM, moviePig wrote:

> >>  From wiki:
> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloverfield_Paradox
> >>
> >> QUOTE:
> >> The film was shot in Los Angeles, California, where it received tax
> >> credits under the state's film incentive program.[19] While filming in
> >> Los Angeles, the project was shot under the titles of God Particle and
> >> Clean Pass.[20] Filming began on June 10, 2016 and wrapped on
> >> September 23, 2016.[17] According to Uziel, it was during production
> >> that he came to learn that the film was being connected to
> >> Cloverfield, requiring him to rewrite a few scenes and added addition
> >> shooting.[9] Uziel speculated that the decision to connect to
> >> Cloverfield was due to the difficulty in marketing a stand-alone
> >> science-fiction film at the time, and felt the connection between the
> >> films was more of an anthology series similar to The Twilight Zone,
> >> with each movie dealing with how people with complex relations deal
> >> with a other-worldly dilemma.[9]
> >> :UNQUOTE
> >>

> >> That paragraph would appear to me to indicate that the rewriting and
> >> filming of CLOVERFIELD tie-in stuff occurred during the original
> >> filming of the project.  there is other stuff at the link that hints
> >> that the script sat around for a few years before any filming began
> >> (probably because most scripts do and because of studio/ownership
> >> changes).  Also, after filming, the link explains some delay in
> >> release as they worked on an ARG video game tie-in and wrung their
> >> hands about how the high cost of the film would prevent it from
> >> becoming a theatrical success.
> >
> > So he did the re-writes "during" shooting, a sort-of hybrid status.
> > Then, however, they judged the result unworthy of theaters.  A year
> > later, the Netflix deal materialized.
> >
> > Afaics, the most favorable indicator therein is the Netflix badge --
> > better than, say, a Showtime premiere, but not as auspicious as a 2,000
> > theater Friday.
>
> What if it was a 2,000 theater opening in February?
> We are in the month when garbage is traditionally dumped to the big screens.

Except, of course the January/February Liam Neeson Paradox

Next <
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 05:16:29 -0600
On 2/7/18 8:18 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 2/6/2018 10:59 PM, Obveeus wrote:

>>> I go into each movie pursuing a glimmer of hope.  But a movie being
>>> blatantly painted over to ride another's coattails snuffs that out.
>>
>> By 'painted over', I guess you me rewrite draft of a script?
>>
>> Side note:  the last CLOVERFIELD film (10 CLOVERFIELD LANE) was also a
>> rewrite of a different spec film script (THE CELLAR).
>
> If tCP was merely a rewrite, i.e., was "Cloverfield"ed before the
> cameras ever rolled, that'd make a difference to me.  But I thought it
> was filmed, shelved, and then re-titled with extreme prejudice.

That's also incorrect.