> Prev
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Subject: "The Big Sick"
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 04:49:39 -0600
This is an Amazon Studios produced movie from Silicon Valley star and
Pakistani American Kumail Nanjiani.  I was surprised and even a little
shocked at how good this movie was.  The only reason for this, I reckon,
is because on Silicon Valley plays a total dork and in this movie he
gets a chance to be much more three dimensional.  The fact that he is
the co-writer of a movie that is clearly autobiographical has to help.
The writing is extremely good, being funny, poignant, and even handed
never making any of the characters unrealistic.  A lot of the movie
deals with traditional Pakistani families arranging marriages and the
way it plays out is fascinating.  His attempt at a being a brown man
doing stand up comedy is also great.  But, perhaps the most show
stealing was Ray Romano and Holly Hunter coming in in the middle as his
girlfriend's parents.  In my opinin their work here is Oscar caliber.

The title is a little strange but when you see the movie it makes sense.

The other noteworthy thing about the movie is it yet another strong
entry in the streaming video company turned movie production company
sweepstakes.  After the debacle that is Harvey Weinstein I can see these
movies continuing to take off, and, if truth be told, I can't remember
what the last movie I've seen in a theater was.

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: "The Big Sick"
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 09:30:18 -0500
On 2/25/2018 5:49 AM, trotsky wrote:
> This is an Amazon Studios produced movie from Silicon Valley star and
> Pakistani American Kumail Nanjiani.  I was surprised and even a little
> shocked at how good this movie was.  The only reason for this, I reckon,
> is because on Silicon Valley plays a total dork and in this movie he
> gets a chance to be much more three dimensional.  The fact that he is
> the co-writer of a movie that is clearly autobiographical has to help.
> The writing is extremely good, being funny, poignant, and even handed
> never making any of the characters unrealistic.  A lot of the movie
> deals with traditional Pakistani families arranging marriages and the
> way it plays out is fascinating.  His attempt at a being a brown man
> doing stand up comedy is also great.  But, perhaps the most show
> stealing was Ray Romano and Holly Hunter coming in in the middle as his
> girlfriend's parents.  In my opinin their work here is Oscar caliber.
>
> The title is a little strange but when you see the movie it makes sense.

I feel that THE BIG SICK was the best film that came out in 2017.

> The other noteworthy thing about the movie is it yet another strong
> entry in the streaming video company turned movie production company
> sweepstakes.  After the debacle that is Harvey Weinstein I can see these
> movies continuing to take off, and, if truth be told, I can't remember
> what the last movie I've seen in a theater was.

Weinstein was closely tied to both Amazon Studios and Netflix, though,
so there is no respite from predatory filmmakers in the streaming arena.

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 09:24:10 -0600
On 2/25/2018 8:30 AM, Obveeus wrote:

> On 2/25/2018 5:49 AM, trotsky wrote:
>> This is an Amazon Studios produced movie from Silicon Valley star and
>> Pakistani American Kumail Nanjiani.  I was surprised and even a little
>> shocked at how good this movie was.  The only reason for this, I
>> reckon, is because on Silicon Valley plays a total dork and in this
>> movie he gets a chance to be much more three dimensional.  The fact
>> that he is the co-writer of a movie that is clearly autobiographical
>> has to help. The writing is extremely good, being funny, poignant, and
>> even handed never making any of the characters unrealistic.  A lot of
>> the movie deals with traditional Pakistani families arranging
>> marriages and the way it plays out is fascinating.  His attempt at a
>> being a brown man doing stand up comedy is also great.  But, perhaps
>> the most show stealing was Ray Romano and Holly Hunter coming in in
>> the middle as his girlfriend's parents.  In my opinin their work here
>> is Oscar caliber.
>>
>> The title is a little strange but when you see the movie it makes sense.
>
> I feel that THE BIG SICK was the best film that came out in 2017.
>
>> The other noteworthy thing about the movie is it yet another strong
>> entry in the streaming video company turned movie production company
>> sweepstakes.  After the debacle that is Harvey Weinstein I can see
>> these movies continuing to take off, and, if truth be told, I can't
>> remember what the last movie I've seen in a theater was.
>
> Weinstein was closely tied to both Amazon Studios and Netflix, though,
> so there is no respite from predatory filmmakers in the streaming arena.

Closely tied meaning he had women from there tie him up with ropes as
part of his sex games?  I don't understand your vague assertion.
Perhaps a cite explaining it is necessary.

---

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 12:45:26 -0500
On 2/25/2018 10:24 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 2/25/2018 8:30 AM, Obveeus wrote:
>>

>> On 2/25/2018 5:49 AM, trotsky wrote:
>>> This is an Amazon Studios produced movie from Silicon Valley star and
>>> Pakistani American Kumail Nanjiani.  I was surprised and even a
>>> little shocked at how good this movie was.  The only reason for this,
>>> I reckon, is because on Silicon Valley plays a total dork and in this
>>> movie he gets a chance to be much more three dimensional.  The fact
>>> that he is the co-writer of a movie that is clearly autobiographical
>>> has to help. The writing is extremely good, being funny, poignant,
>>> and even handed never making any of the characters unrealistic.  A
>>> lot of the movie deals with traditional Pakistani families arranging
>>> marriages and the way it plays out is fascinating.  His attempt at a
>>> being a brown man doing stand up comedy is also great.  But, perhaps
>>> the most show stealing was Ray Romano and Holly Hunter coming in in
>>> the middle as his girlfriend's parents.  In my opinin their work here
>>> is Oscar caliber.
>>>
>>> The title is a little strange but when you see the movie it makes sense.
>>
>> I feel that THE BIG SICK was the best film that came out in 2017.
>>
>>> The other noteworthy thing about the movie is it yet another strong
>>> entry in the streaming video company turned movie production company
>>> sweepstakes.  After the debacle that is Harvey Weinstein I can see
>>> these movies continuing to take off, and, if truth be told, I can't
>>> remember what the last movie I've seen in a theater was.
>>
>> Weinstein was closely tied to both Amazon Studios and Netflix, though,
>> so there is no respite from predatory filmmakers in the streaming arena.
>

> Closely tied meaning he had women from there tie him up with ropes as
> part of his sex games?  I don't understand your vague assertion. Perhaps
> a cite explaining it is necessary.

No cite is necessary because people are probably familiar with Weinstein
doing projects for both Amazon and Netflix.  This stuff has been in the
news over the last 6 months or so as the scandal churned along.  I know
you like to shout 'cite' at every opportunity, but really, you are a
tedious human being prone to an inability to have these/any
conversations so why would I go out of my way to produce a cite for you
when you could easily look it up on the internet if you actually cared
to know?

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 12:04:45 -0600
On 2/25/2018 11:45 AM, Obveeus wrote:

>>> I feel that THE BIG SICK was the best film that came out in 2017.

>>> Weinstein was closely tied to both Amazon Studios and Netflix,
>>> though, so there is no respite from predatory filmmakers in the
>>> streaming arena.
>>

>> Closely tied meaning he had women from there tie him up with ropes as
>> part of his sex games?  I don't understand your vague assertion.
>> Perhaps a cite explaining it is necessary.
>

> No cite is necessary because people are probably familiar with Weinstein
> doing projects for both Amazon and Netflix.  This stuff has been in the
> news over the last 6 months or so as the scandal churned along.  I know
> you like to shout 'cite' at every opportunity, but really, you are a
> tedious human being prone to an inability to have these/any
> conversations so why would I go out of my way to produce a cite for you
> when you could easily look it up on the internet if you actually cared
> to know?

It's amusing, your trying to put the onus on me, but that's not going to
fly.  "People are probably familiar..."  is exactly analogous to Trump
saying "A lot of people are saying..."  It's mentally lazy and show no
regard for facts.  What you say might be true, but unless you have a
credible source to cite there is no reason to believe what you're
saying.  Conversely, I cite articles to back what I'm saying time and
time and time again, but the mental laziness of people on the internet
is both obvious and widespread.  But you're right about one thing:
Weinstein and Netflix do have a relationship:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/netflix-harvey-weinstein-ted-sarand...

Unfortunately:

> TWC also produced Netflix original series “Marco Polo,” one of the most expensive shows in
television history. “The Green Legend” and “Marco Polo” were both costly critical failures
for a streaming service that previously had few.

So, on the plus side, we both liked the movie a lot.  I'm glad you
agree, you clearly have some taste.  On the minus side, I'm talking
about streaming services gaining traction as the new frontier in movie
release channels, countering it with the fall of Harvey, and you
actually point out Harvey had a working relationship with streaming
services already, neglecting to mention it was an utter utter utter
failure.  So, again, please explain what point you were trying to make.

---

From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 14:38:04 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Sunday, 25 February 2018 10:24:12 UTC-5, Greg Singh  wrote:
> On 2/25/2018 8:30 AM, Obveeus wrote:
> >

> > On 2/25/2018 5:49 AM, trotsky wrote:
> >> This is an Amazon Studios produced movie from Silicon Valley star and
> >> Pakistani American Kumail Nanjiani.  I was surprised and even a little
> >> shocked at how good this movie was.  The only reason for this, I
> >> reckon, is because on Silicon Valley plays a total dork and in this
> >> movie he gets a chance to be much more three dimensional.  The fact
> >> that he is the co-writer of a movie that is clearly autobiographical
> >> has to help. The writing is extremely good, being funny, poignant, and
> >> even handed never making any of the characters unrealistic.  A lot of
> >> the movie deals with traditional Pakistani families arranging
> >> marriages and the way it plays out is fascinating.  His attempt at a
> >> being a brown man doing stand up comedy is also great.  But, perhaps
> >> the most show stealing was Ray Romano and Holly Hunter coming in in
> >> the middle as his girlfriend's parents.  In my opinin their work here
> >> is Oscar caliber.
> >>
> >> The title is a little strange but when you see the movie it makes sense.
> >
> > I feel that THE BIG SICK was the best film that came out in 2017.
> >
> >> The other noteworthy thing about the movie is it yet another strong
> >> entry in the streaming video company turned movie production company
> >> sweepstakes.  After the debacle that is Harvey Weinstein I can see
> >> these movies continuing to take off, and, if truth be told, I can't
> >> remember what the last movie I've seen in a theater was.
> >
> > Weinstein was closely tied to both Amazon Studios and Netflix, though,
> > so there is no respite from predatory filmmakers in the streaming arena..
>

> Closely tied meaning he had women from there tie him up with ropes as
> part of his sex games?  I don't understand your vague assertion.

Can you ever respond to anyone without sounding adversarial?  Who beat you as a child?

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 03:45:15 -0600
On 2/25/18 4:38 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Sunday, 25 February 2018 10:24:12 UTC-5, Greg Singh  wrote:

>>> I feel that THE BIG SICK was the best film that came out in 2017.

>>> Weinstein was closely tied to both Amazon Studios and Netflix, though,
>>> so there is no respite from predatory filmmakers in the streaming arena.
>>

>> Closely tied meaning he had women from there tie him up with ropes as
>> part of his sex games?  I don't understand your vague assertion.
>
> Can you ever respond to anyone without sounding adversarial?  Who beat you as a child?

Rich, I know you're not exceptionally bright, but I'll tell you what,
I'll give you a homework assignment to answer your question.  I posted
an article yesterday from the Hollywood Reporter about Netflix as an
outlet for first run movies.  I've attempted to broach this subject here
a couple of times.  Look at the comments at the end of the article and
compare them to the piles and piles and piles of horseshit I get here
when I attempt the discussion.  Now, keep in mind, this is extremely
obvious so even you should be able to handle it.  But you asked a
serious question and I expect a serious answer.  I dare you.

From: alvey <alvey@is.invalid>
From: alvey <alvey@is.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 06:02:19 +1000
On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 04:49:39 -0600, trotsky wrote:

> This is an Amazon Studios produced movie from Silicon Valley star and
> Pakistani American Kumail Nanjiani.  I was surprised and even a little
> shocked at how good this movie was.  The only reason for this, I reckon,
> is because on Silicon Valley plays a total dork and in this movie he
> gets a chance to be much more three dimensional.  The fact that he is
> the co-writer of a movie that is clearly autobiographical has to help.
> The writing is extremely good, being funny, poignant, and even handed
> never making any of the characters unrealistic.  A lot of the movie
> deals with traditional Pakistani families arranging marriages and the
> way it plays out is fascinating.  His attempt at a being a brown man
> doing stand up comedy is also great.  But, perhaps the most show
> stealing was Ray Romano and Holly Hunter coming in in the middle as his
> girlfriend's parents.  In my opinin their work here is Oscar caliber.
>
> The title is a little strange but when you see the movie it makes sense.
>
> The other noteworthy thing about the movie is it yet another strong
> entry in the streaming video company turned movie production company
> sweepstakes.  After the debacle that is Harvey Weinstein I can see these
> movies continuing to take off, and, if truth be told, I can't remember
> what the last movie I've seen in a theater was.

Two other noteworthy aspects of it were that there was a complete absence
of; a) super-powered comic book characters, and b) gun play. Over the last
few days I watched; Cold in July, Wind River and the infinitely idiotic
John Wick. America, can you see a nexus?
The Big Sick isn't actually a very good movie. Its plot is predictable,
both the acting and dialogue are mediocre, it is the rarity of its type
that makes it appear better than it is.

alvey

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 14:40:29 -0600
On 2/25/18 2:02 PM, alvey wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 04:49:39 -0600, trotsky wrote:
>
>> This is an Amazon Studios produced movie from Silicon Valley star and
>> Pakistani American Kumail Nanjiani.  I was surprised and even a little
>> shocked at how good this movie was.  The only reason for this, I reckon,
>> is because on Silicon Valley plays a total dork and in this movie he
>> gets a chance to be much more three dimensional.  The fact that he is
>> the co-writer of a movie that is clearly autobiographical has to help.
>> The writing is extremely good, being funny, poignant, and even handed
>> never making any of the characters unrealistic.  A lot of the movie
>> deals with traditional Pakistani families arranging marriages and the
>> way it plays out is fascinating.  His attempt at a being a brown man
>> doing stand up comedy is also great.  But, perhaps the most show
>> stealing was Ray Romano and Holly Hunter coming in in the middle as his
>> girlfriend's parents.  In my opinin their work here is Oscar caliber.
>>
>> The title is a little strange but when you see the movie it makes sense.
>>
>> The other noteworthy thing about the movie is it yet another strong
>> entry in the streaming video company turned movie production company
>> sweepstakes.  After the debacle that is Harvey Weinstein I can see these
>> movies continuing to take off, and, if truth be told, I can't remember
>> what the last movie I've seen in a theater was.
>
> Two other noteworthy aspects of it were that there was a complete absence
> of; a) super-powered comic book characters, and b) gun play. Over the last
> few days I watched; Cold in July, Wind River and the infinitely idiotic
> John Wick. America, can you see a nexus?
> The Big Sick isn't actually a very good movie. Its plot is predictable,
> both the acting and dialogue are mediocre, it is the rarity of its type
> that makes it appear better than it is.

You must have seen a different movie than me.  Several lines were LOL
funny, such as "a dog with a boner" and "we lost nineteen of our best
guys", and those are just two I can name off the top of my head.  And
what happened to his erstwhile girlfriend came completely out of left
field.  As for the acting, Ray Romano and Holly Hunter is fantastic, but
since they rarely give out Oscars for comedies they weren't recognized.
Then there was the glimpse into Pakistani culture, which was woven into
the story seamlessly.  But, if you had only watched action and dramas
previously it could be you don't like Judd Apatow type comedies.

From: alvey <alvey@is.invalid>
From: alvey <alvey@is.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 07:06:43 +1000
On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 14:40:29 -0600, trotsky wrote:

> On 2/25/18 2:02 PM, alvey wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 04:49:39 -0600, trotsky wrote:
>>
>>> This is an Amazon Studios produced movie from Silicon Valley star and
>>> Pakistani American Kumail Nanjiani.  I was surprised and even a little
>>> shocked at how good this movie was.  The only reason for this, I reckon,
>>> is because on Silicon Valley plays a total dork and in this movie he
>>> gets a chance to be much more three dimensional.  The fact that he is
>>> the co-writer of a movie that is clearly autobiographical has to help.
>>> The writing is extremely good, being funny, poignant, and even handed
>>> never making any of the characters unrealistic.  A lot of the movie
>>> deals with traditional Pakistani families arranging marriages and the
>>> way it plays out is fascinating.  His attempt at a being a brown man
>>> doing stand up comedy is also great.  But, perhaps the most show
>>> stealing was Ray Romano and Holly Hunter coming in in the middle as his
>>> girlfriend's parents.  In my opinin their work here is Oscar caliber.
>>>
>>> The title is a little strange but when you see the movie it makes sense.
>>>
>>> The other noteworthy thing about the movie is it yet another strong
>>> entry in the streaming video company turned movie production company
>>> sweepstakes.  After the debacle that is Harvey Weinstein I can see these
>>> movies continuing to take off, and, if truth be told, I can't remember
>>> what the last movie I've seen in a theater was.
>>
>> Two other noteworthy aspects of it were that there was a complete absence
>> of; a) super-powered comic book characters, and b) gun play. Over the last
>> few days I watched; Cold in July, Wind River and the infinitely idiotic
>> John Wick. America, can you see a nexus?
>> The Big Sick isn't actually a very good movie. Its plot is predictable,
>> both the acting and dialogue are mediocre, it is the rarity of its type
>> that makes it appear better than it is.
>
> You must have seen a different movie than me.  Several lines were LOL
> funny, such as "a dog with a boner" and "we lost nineteen of our best
> guys", and those are just two I can name off the top of my head.  And
> what happened to his erstwhile girlfriend came completely out of left
> field.  As for the acting, Ray Romano and Holly Hunter is fantastic, but
> since they rarely give out Oscars for comedies they weren't recognized.
> Then there was the glimpse into Pakistani culture, which was woven into
> the story seamlessly.  But, if you had only watched action and dramas
> previously it could be you don't like Judd Apatow type comedies.

Hmmm. "Judd Apatow type comedies" is bloody close to an oxymoron.

alvey

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 03:38:25 -0600
On 2/25/18 3:06 PM, alvey wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 14:40:29 -0600, trotsky wrote:

>>> Two other noteworthy aspects of it were that there was a complete absence
>>> of; a) super-powered comic book characters, and b) gun play. Over the last
>>> few days I watched; Cold in July, Wind River and the infinitely idiotic
>>> John Wick. America, can you see a nexus?
>>> The Big Sick isn't actually a very good movie. Its plot is predictable,
>>> both the acting and dialogue are mediocre, it is the rarity of its type
>>> that makes it appear better than it is.
>>
>> You must have seen a different movie than me.  Several lines were LOL
>> funny, such as "a dog with a boner" and "we lost nineteen of our best
>> guys", and those are just two I can name off the top of my head.  And
>> what happened to his erstwhile girlfriend came completely out of left
>> field.  As for the acting, Ray Romano and Holly Hunter is fantastic, but
>> since they rarely give out Oscars for comedies they weren't recognized.
>> Then there was the glimpse into Pakistani culture, which was woven into
>> the story seamlessly.  But, if you had only watched action and dramas
>> previously it could be you don't like Judd Apatow type comedies.
>
> Hmmm. "Judd Apatow type comedies" is bloody close to an oxymoron.

Interesting.  You lack a point of reference, though, any fucking moron
with a keyboard and an ISP can say everything is shit, but for some
reason they all lack the brains and the balls to tell us what's good.
So far, as near as I can tell, you have no sense of humor whatsoever and
wouldn't know a comedy if it smacked you in your brain dead cranium.
Your mileage may vary though.  Now let's see if you can grow a spine and
give us a list of the comedies you think are "funny".

From: alvey <alvey@is.invalid>
Full headers:
From: alvey <alvey@is.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 07:04:52 +1000
On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 03:38:25 -0600, trotsky wrote:

> On 2/25/18 3:06 PM, alvey wrote:

>>> You must have seen a different movie than me.  Several lines were LOL
>>> funny, such as "a dog with a boner" and "we lost nineteen of our best
>>> guys", and those are just two I can name off the top of my head.  And
>>> what happened to his erstwhile girlfriend came completely out of left
>>> field.  As for the acting, Ray Romano and Holly Hunter is fantastic, but
>>> since they rarely give out Oscars for comedies they weren't recognized.
>>> Then there was the glimpse into Pakistani culture, which was woven into
>>> the story seamlessly.  But, if you had only watched action and dramas
>>> previously it could be you don't like Judd Apatow type comedies.
>>
>> Hmmm. "Judd Apatow type comedies" is bloody close to an oxymoron.
>
> Interesting.  You lack a point of reference, though, any fucking moron
> with a keyboard and an ISP can say everything is shit, but for some
> reason they all lack the brains and the balls to tell us what's good.
> So far, as near as I can tell, you have no sense of humor whatsoever and
> wouldn't know a comedy if it smacked you in your brain dead cranium.
> Your mileage may vary though.  Now let's see if you can grow a spine and
> give us a list of the comedies you think are "funny".

No worries!

You.

alvey

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 15:35:53 -0600
On 2/26/2018 3:04 PM, alvey wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 03:38:25 -0600, trotsky wrote:

>>> Hmmm. "Judd Apatow type comedies" is bloody close to an oxymoron.
>>
>> Interesting.  You lack a point of reference, though, any fucking moron
>> with a keyboard and an ISP can say everything is shit, but for some
>> reason they all lack the brains and the balls to tell us what's good.
>> So far, as near as I can tell, you have no sense of humor whatsoever and
>> wouldn't know a comedy if it smacked you in your brain dead cranium.
>> Your mileage may vary though.  Now let's see if you can grow a spine and
>> give us a list of the comedies you think are "funny".
>
> No worries!
>
> You.

Brains and balls, tough to come by these days.

---

From: alvey <alvey@is.invalid>
Full headers:
From: alvey <alvey@is.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 09:09:40 +1000
On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 15:35:53 -0600, trotsky wrote:

> On 2/26/2018 3:04 PM, alvey wrote:

>>> Interesting.  You lack a point of reference, though, any fucking moron
>>> with a keyboard and an ISP can say everything is shit, but for some
>>> reason they all lack the brains and the balls to tell us what's good.
>>> So far, as near as I can tell, you have no sense of humor whatsoever and
>>> wouldn't know a comedy if it smacked you in your brain dead cranium.
>>> Your mileage may vary though.  Now let's see if you can grow a spine and
>>> give us a list of the comedies you think are "funny".
>>
>> No worries!
>>
>> You.
>
> Brains and balls, tough to come by these days.

Swings and roundabouts. There's an over-supply of keyboard hard men.

alvey

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 17:34:28 -0600
On 2/26/2018 5:09 PM, alvey wrote:

>>> No worries!
>>>
>>> You.
>>
>> Brains and balls, tough to come by these days.
>
> Swings and roundabouts. There's an over-supply of keyboard hard men.

Is that supposed to be humor, alvey?  It would explain why you didn't
like the movie?

---

From: alvey <alvey@is.invalid>
From: alvey <alvey@is.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 10:54:47 +1000
On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 17:34:28 -0600, trotsky wrote:

>>> Brains and balls, tough to come by these days.
>>
>> Swings and roundabouts. There's an over-supply of keyboard hard men.
>
> Is that supposed to be humor, alvey?

Me? Humour? Neverrrr. I gave that up when America ceased to be a respected
country.

> It would explain why you didn't like the movie?

Being pedantic, I never said that I "didn't like the movie". My opinion was
that it's over-rated because of the scarcity of its genre and the
relentless barrage of violent crap. And Judd Apatow.

This is what's known as A Difference of Opinion.
You need to learn to live with it.

alvey

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 04:47:13 -0600
On 2/26/18 6:54 PM, alvey wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 17:34:28 -0600, trotsky wrote:

>>> Swings and roundabouts. There's an over-supply of keyboard hard men.
>>
>> Is that supposed to be humor, alvey?
>
> Me? Humour? Neverrrr. I gave that up when America ceased to be a respected
> country.
>
>> It would explain why you didn't like the movie?
>
> Being pedantic, I never said that I "didn't like the movie". My opinion was
> that it's over-rated because of the scarcity of its genre and the
> relentless barrage of violent crap. And Judd Apatow.
>
> This is what's known as A Difference of Opinion.
> You need to learn to live with it.

Yes but "Judd Apatow sucks" isn't a well informed or well stated
opinion.  It makes you look stupid.  Also, saying something "isn't
funny" without have the brains or balls to establish a point of
reference for what you find funny also makes you look stupid as well as
making you look like you're missing genitalia.  Any questions?

From: alvey <alvey@is.invalid>
From: alvey <alvey@is.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 09:56:30 +1000
References: <8xwkC.122770$UK7.49436@fx06.iad> <gbtqjzapsemv.vo0q2j4lmscg.dlg@40tude.net> <2bFkC.184761$qv.85170@fx33.iad> <ojhefcj51w9u$.znkw8j59pjta.dlg@40tude.net> <lAQkC.75352$YR7.60860@fx34.iad> <fhe2uqvn17cs.1du375uv6whkz$.dlg@40tude.net> <Y4%kC.7040$VM2.887@fx01.iad> <1hfynooewijen.n1e92osohgqw.dlg@40tude.net> <7Q0lC.76831$kZ2.22796@fx41.iad> <ax4qj11s8kta.2kcghblt1rzj.dlg@40tude.net> <RGalC.117662$9%2.52359@fx36.iad>
On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 04:47:13 -0600, trotsky wrote:

> On 2/26/18 6:54 PM, alvey wrote:

>>> Is that supposed to be humor, alvey?
>>
>> Me? Humour? Neverrrr. I gave that up when America ceased to be a respected
>> country.
>>
>>> It would explain why you didn't like the movie?
>>
>> Being pedantic, I never said that I "didn't like the movie". My opinion was
>> that it's over-rated because of the scarcity of its genre and the
>> relentless barrage of violent crap. And Judd Apatow.
>>
>> This is what's known as A Difference of Opinion.
>> You need to learn to live with it.
>
> Yes but "Judd Apatow sucks" isn't a well informed or well stated
> opinion.  It makes you look stupid.

Not as stupid as inventing a quote.

>  Also, saying something "isn't
> funny" without have the brains or balls to establish a point of
> reference for what you find funny also makes you look stupid as well as
> making you look like you're missing genitalia.  Any questions?

Yep.
Have you always been this stupid or has some head trauma been involved?

alvey

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 04:54:21 -0600
On 2/27/18 5:56 PM, alvey wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 04:47:13 -0600, trotsky wrote:

>>> Me? Humour? Neverrrr. I gave that up when America ceased to be a respected
>>> country.

>>> Being pedantic, I never said that I "didn't like the movie". My opinion was
>>> that it's over-rated because of the scarcity of its genre and the
>>> relentless barrage of violent crap. And Judd Apatow.
>>>
>>> This is what's known as A Difference of Opinion.
>>> You need to learn to live with it.
>>
>> Yes but "Judd Apatow sucks" isn't a well informed or well stated
>> opinion.  It makes you look stupid.
>
> Not as stupid as inventing a quote.
>
>>   Also, saying something "isn't
>> funny" without have the brains or balls to establish a point of
>> reference for what you find funny also makes you look stupid as well as
>> making you look like you're missing genitalia.  Any questions?
>
> Yep.
> Have you always been this stupid or has some head trauma been involved?

Don't answer a question with a question.  Are you capable of responding
to the claim I made above?

From: alvey <alvey@is.invalid>
Full headers:
From: alvey <alvey@is.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 07:27:17 +1000
References: <8xwkC.122770$UK7.49436@fx06.iad> <gbtqjzapsemv.vo0q2j4lmscg.dlg@40tude.net> <2bFkC.184761$qv.85170@fx33.iad> <ojhefcj51w9u$.znkw8j59pjta.dlg@40tude.net> <lAQkC.75352$YR7.60860@fx34.iad> <fhe2uqvn17cs.1du375uv6whkz$.dlg@40tude.net> <Y4%kC.7040$VM2.887@fx01.iad> <1hfynooewijen.n1e92osohgqw.dlg@40tude.net> <7Q0lC.76831$kZ2.22796@fx41.iad> <ax4qj11s8kta.2kcghblt1rzj.dlg@40tude.net> <RGalC.117662$9%2.52359@fx36.iad> <151q9eah5pozi.13mnktaip7izc.dlg@40tude.net> <xTvlC.107587$NZ2.5191@fx40.iad>
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 04:54:21 -0600, trotsky wrote:

> On 2/27/18 5:56 PM, alvey wrote:

>>> Yes but "Judd Apatow sucks" isn't a well informed or well stated
>>> opinion.  It makes you look stupid.
>>
>> Not as stupid as inventing a quote.
>>
>>>   Also, saying something "isn't
>>> funny" without have the brains or balls to establish a point of
>>> reference for what you find funny also makes you look stupid as well as
>>> making you look like you're missing genitalia.  Any questions?
>>
>> Yep.
>> Have you always been this stupid or has some head trauma been involved?
>
> Don't answer a question with a question.

Errr. Your question was "Any questions?". What did you expect in reply? A
sonnet?

> Are you capable of responding to the claim I made above?

Yes. Am I interested in doing so? No.

alvey

From: reilloc <reilloc@gmail.com>
From: reilloc <reilloc@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 15:17:20 -0600
On 2/25/2018 2:40 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 2/25/18 2:02 PM, alvey wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 04:49:39 -0600, trotsky wrote:
>>
>>> This is an Amazon Studios produced movie from Silicon Valley star and
>>> Pakistani American Kumail Nanjiani.  I was surprised and even a little
>>> shocked at how good this movie was.  The only reason for this, I reckon,
>>> is because on Silicon Valley plays a total dork and in this movie he
>>> gets a chance to be much more three dimensional.  The fact that he is
>>> the co-writer of a movie that is clearly autobiographical has to help.
>>> The writing is extremely good, being funny, poignant, and even handed
>>> never making any of the characters unrealistic.  A lot of the movie
>>> deals with traditional Pakistani families arranging marriages and the
>>> way it plays out is fascinating.  His attempt at a being a brown man
>>> doing stand up comedy is also great.  But, perhaps the most show
>>> stealing was Ray Romano and Holly Hunter coming in in the middle as his
>>> girlfriend's parents.  In my opinin their work here is Oscar caliber.
>>>
>>> The title is a little strange but when you see the movie it makes sense.
>>>
>>> The other noteworthy thing about the movie is it yet another strong
>>> entry in the streaming video company turned movie production company
>>> sweepstakes.  After the debacle that is Harvey Weinstein I can see these
>>> movies continuing to take off, and, if truth be told, I can't remember
>>> what the last movie I've seen in a theater was.
>>
>> Two other noteworthy aspects of it were that there was a complete absence
>> of; a) super-powered comic book characters, and b) gun play. Over the
>> last
>> few days I watched; Cold in July, Wind River and the infinitely idiotic
>> John Wick. America, can you see a nexus?
>> The Big Sick isn't actually a very good movie. Its plot is predictable,
>> both the acting and dialogue are mediocre, it is the rarity of its type
>> that makes it appear better than it is.
>

> You must have seen a different movie than me.  Several lines were LOL
> funny, such as "a dog with a boner" and "we lost nineteen of our best
> guys", and those are just two I can name off the top of my head.  And
> what happened to his erstwhile girlfriend came completely out of left
> field.  As for the acting, Ray Romano and Holly Hunter is fantastic, but
> since they rarely give out Oscars for comedies they weren't recognized.
> Then there was the glimpse into Pakistani culture, which was woven into
> the story seamlessly.  But, if you had only watched action and dramas
> previously it could be you don't like Judd Apatow type comedies.

That "nineteen of our best guys" line was spit-out-your-coffee funny but
when you mention Pakistani culture, too, it's funnier.

It's a joke.
Was it a joke?
It's a joke.
Was it?
What was a joke?
It was a joke.
What joke?
You're joking.
I'm joking.
Was it a joke?
You can't joke about that.
You're joking.
Quit joking.
Who's joking?

LNC

Next <
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 03:41:31 -0600
On 2/25/18 3:17 PM, reilloc wrote:
> On 2/25/2018 2:40 PM, trotsky wrote:

>>> Two other noteworthy aspects of it were that there was a complete
>>> absence
>>> of; a) super-powered comic book characters, and b) gun play. Over the
>>> last
>>> few days I watched; Cold in July, Wind River and the infinitely idiotic
>>> John Wick. America, can you see a nexus?
>>> The Big Sick isn't actually a very good movie. Its plot is predictable,
>>> both the acting and dialogue are mediocre, it is the rarity of its type
>>> that makes it appear better than it is.
>>

>> You must have seen a different movie than me.  Several lines were LOL
>> funny, such as "a dog with a boner" and "we lost nineteen of our best
>> guys", and those are just two I can name off the top of my head.  And
>> what happened to his erstwhile girlfriend came completely out of left
>> field.  As for the acting, Ray Romano and Holly Hunter is fantastic,
>> but since they rarely give out Oscars for comedies they weren't
>> recognized. Then there was the glimpse into Pakistani culture, which
>> was woven into the story seamlessly.  But, if you had only watched
>> action and dramas previously it could be you don't like Judd Apatow
>> type comedies.
>>

> That "nineteen of our best guys" line was spit-out-your-coffee funny but
> when you mention Pakistani culture, too, it's funnier.
>
> It's a joke.
> Was it a joke?
> It's a joke.
> Was it?
> What was a joke?
> It was a joke.
> What joke?
> You're joking.
> I'm joking.
> Was it a joke?
> You can't joke about that.
> You're joking.
> Quit joking.
> Who's joking?

The flash cards at the end were extremely clever too.