> Prev
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: THE FLORIDA PROJECT (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 17:44:06 -0500
Writer-director Sean Baker (TANGERINE) turns his disquisitive eye on the
matchstick sub-culture growing in the economic crevices of Orlando's
Disney World.  Willem DaFoe heads the adult cast, but the stars are a
few very young kids whose performances approach Cinema Verite.  (The
DVD's making-of is a particularly engaging one.)  THE FLORIDA PROJECT
is, to be sure, an art-house movie, with an art-house movie's ambiance
and structure.  It's nevertheless gripping -- and well recommended.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid>
Subject: Re: THE FLORIDA PROJECT (no spoilers)
From: super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 09:42:43 -0600
In article <W40lC.80685$4_2.972@fx35.iad>,
 moviePig<pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> Writer-director Sean Baker (TANGERINE) turns his disquisitive eye on the
> matchstick sub-culture growing in the economic crevices of Orlando's
> Disney World.  Willem DaFoe heads the adult cast, but the stars are a
> few very young kids whose performances approach Cinema Verite.  (The
> DVD's making-of is a particularly engaging one.)  THE FLORIDA PROJECT
> is, to be sure, an art-house movie, with an art-house movie's ambiance
> and structure.  It's nevertheless gripping -- and well recommended.

DaFoe might have won the best supporting male Oscar on Sunday if it
weren't for Sam Rockwell.

Ironically 3 Billboards probably won't get best picture because of
recent concern by the Academy that Rockwell's racist character wasn't
"redeemed enough" at the end (The Shape of Water has pulled ahead).

Also looks like Frances McDormand has a lock on her second Oscar. For
the guys, Gary Oldman is a shoo-in.

From: luisbunuel <luisbunuel@aol.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 20:43:55 -0800 (PST)
From: luisbunuel@aol.com
On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 5:44:13 PM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
> Writer-director Sean Baker (TANGERINE) turns his disquisitive eye on the
> matchstick sub-culture growing in the economic crevices of Orlando's
> Disney World.  Willem DaFoe heads the adult cast, but the stars are a
> few very young kids whose performances approach Cinema Verite.  (The
> DVD's making-of is a particularly engaging one.)  THE FLORIDA PROJECT
> is, to be sure, an art-house movie, with an art-house movie's ambiance
> and structure.  It's nevertheless gripping -- and well recommended.
>
> --
>
> - - - - - - - -
>    YOUR taste at work...
>      http://www.moviepig.com

Now THIS...is a very good film. But you don't think so when it's starting. Then it starts jabbing at
you and making little cuts. It gets uncomfortable.. By the end all the little incidental-seeming
moments and scenes add up to something to powerful to stop. I was very surprised at the way this
film got a hold of me. But this film is recommended only for human beings.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 08:55:42 -0500
On 3/9/2018 11:43 PM, luisbunuel@aol.com wrote:
> On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 5:44:13 PM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
>> Writer-director Sean Baker (TANGERINE) turns his disquisitive eye on the
>> matchstick sub-culture growing in the economic crevices of Orlando's
>> Disney World.  Willem DaFoe heads the adult cast, but the stars are a
>> few very young kids whose performances approach Cinema Verite.  (The
>> DVD's making-of is a particularly engaging one.)  THE FLORIDA PROJECT
>> is, to be sure, an art-house movie, with an art-house movie's ambiance
>> and structure.  It's nevertheless gripping -- and well recommended.
>
> Now THIS...is a very good film. But you don't think so when it's starting. Then it starts jabbing
at you and making little cuts. It gets uncomfortable. By the end all the little incidental-seeming
moments and scenes add up to something to powerful to stop. I was very surprised at the way this
film got a hold of me. But this film is recommended only for human beings.
TANGERINE should also be on your list, past or future.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

Next <
From: luisbunuel <luisbunuel@aol.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 20:10:28 -0800 (PST)
From: luisbunuel@aol.com
On Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 8:55:46 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
> On 3/9/2018 11:43 PM, luisbunuel@aol.com wrote:
> > On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 5:44:13 PM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
> >> Writer-director Sean Baker (TANGERINE) turns his disquisitive eye on the
> >> matchstick sub-culture growing in the economic crevices of Orlando's
> >> Disney World.  Willem DaFoe heads the adult cast, but the stars are a
> >> few very young kids whose performances approach Cinema Verite.  (The
> >> DVD's making-of is a particularly engaging one.)  THE FLORIDA PROJECT
> >> is, to be sure, an art-house movie, with an art-house movie's ambiance
> >> and structure.  It's nevertheless gripping -- and well recommended.
> >
> > Now THIS...is a very good film. But you don't think so when it's starting. Then it starts
jabbing at you and making little cuts. It gets uncomfortable. By the end all the little
incidental-seeming moments and scenes add up to something to powerful to stop. I was very surprised
at the way this film got a hold of me. But this film is recommended only for human beings.
> TANGERINE should also be on your list, past or future.

I watched trailers and kept getting near it but never actually undressing.