> Prev
From: Irish Ranger <irishranger317@gmail.com>
Subject: Watching, or not watching, the Oscars
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 17:36:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Irish Ranger <irishranger317@gmail.com>
I used to watch the Oscars back when they were still about movies and movie stars.  But now it's
just a left wing political platform for bashing America, conservatives and traditional values.  And
the liberal's hysterical, frothing at the mouth hatred for President Trump, since he defeated
Hillary Clinton,
has gone completely off the rails.

Also, given the recent mass exposure of the sexual harassment culture that has infested Hollywood
for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally superior preaching
about
the short-comings in the conduct of we "deplorables".

That said, there is still one small part of the Oscars that I do watch, which is the Memoriam segment
where they pay fleeting homage to the movie stars who have passed away.  It seem fitting to spend
a minute or two acknowledging the life and work of these actors and the memories they created.
I only wish they would make the segment longer and, maybe some day, do a special tribute to the
movie stats who were some how over looked and not shown, back when they passed away.

So I record the Oscars, fast forward to the Memoriam, watch it and then hit delete.

Irish Mike

From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Watching, or not watching, the Oscars
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 18:23:20 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Aside from the left-wingism of the Oscars, this year was dog's breakfast for movies on the whole.  I
remember one other year where it was lousy too, sometime in he 90's.  It would show a great deal of
integrity to simply say, "sorry, but no movie this year merited a best picture nomination so we
aren't granting an award." Plus, we ALL know that smaller movies which play only in restricted
markets rarely get nominated despite the fact some may be considerably better than the mainstream
offerings.

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 15:21:04 -0600
On 3/3/2018 8:23 PM, RichA wrote:
> Aside from the left-wingism of the Oscars, this year was dog's breakfast for movies on the whole.
I remember one other year where it was lousy too, sometime in he 90's.  It would show a great deal
of integrity to simply say, "sorry, but no movie this year merited a best picture nomination so we
aren't granting an award." Plus, we ALL know that smaller movies which play only in restricted
markets rarely get nominated despite the fact some may be considerably better than the mainstream
offerings.

Such as?

---

From: Irish Ranger <irishranger317@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 16:18:34 -0800 (PST)
From: Irish Ranger <irishranger317@gmail.com>
On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 9:23:23 PM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
> Aside from the left-wingism of the Oscars, this year was dog's breakfast for movies on the whole.
I remember one other year where it was lousy too, sometime in he 90's.  It would show a great deal
of integrity to simply say, "sorry, but no movie this year merited a best picture nomination so we
aren't granting an award." Plus, we ALL know that smaller movies which play only in restricted
markets rarely get nominated despite the fact some may be considerably better than the mainstream
offerings.

I thought 1999, was one of the worst when they gave the Best Picture Oscar to
"Shakespeare In Love" instead of "Saving Private Ryan".  That pretty much sums
up Hollywood and the Oscars.

Irish Mike

From: Michael OConnor <mpoconnor7@aol.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 07:11:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Michael OConnor <mpoconnor7@aol.com>
I won't watch it, I'll scroll thru the list of winners tomorrow.  Even though I haven't seen any of
the movies nominated other than watching trailers and reading critics, I've said all along I thought
The Shape of Water and Sally Hawkins would win, and Gary Oldman was a lock.  Sam Rockwell and Alison
Janney for the supporting categories.

If there is any of the above I am shaky on it is best actress which I think is perhaps a toss-up
between her and Frances McDormand.  I really like the Best Supporting Actor race, where you have
four great actors (Richard Jenkins, Woody Harrelson, Willem DeFoe and Rockwell) who have never won,
along with Plummer, who has won and the odds are very unlikely he will win again, so one of these
actors will get an Oscar.

From: Inkan1969 <jlara4606@charter.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 06:39:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Inkan1969 <jlara4606@charter.net>
On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 10:11:05 AM UTC-5, Michael OConnor wrote:
> I won't watch it, I'll scroll thru the list of winners tomorrow.  Even though I haven't seen any
of the movies nominated other than watching trailers and reading critics, I've said all along I
thought The Shape of Water and Sally Hawkins would win, and Gary Oldman was a lock.  Sam Rockwell
and Alison Janney for the supporting categories.

> If there is any of the above I am shaky on it is best actress which I think is perhaps a toss-up
between her and Frances McDormand.  I really like the Best Supporting Actor race, where you have
four great actors (Richard Jenkins, Woody Harrelson, Willem DeFoe and Rockwell) who have never won,
along with Plummer, who has won and the odds are very unlikely he will win again, so one of these
actors will get an Oscar.

My main interest is in the two Animated Oscars.  "Coco"'s win was...as expected. (Really good movie,
actually.  But people are getting fed up with the predictability of the BAF Oscar.)  I was surprised
by the BAS win of "Dear Basketball".  This being the "Me Too" year, both wins are getting caught up
in controversy.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/coco-dear-basketball-win-oscars-1...

 - Inkan1969

From: Irish Ranger <irishranger317@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin3!goblin.stu.neva.ru!inn10.news.alteholz.net!news.in-chemnitz.de!feeder.erje.net!1.eu.feeder.erje.net!border1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!e10no1352639itf.0!news-out.google.com!a25ni4016itj.0!nntp.google.com!w142no1349424ita.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 04:59:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Irish Ranger <irishranger317@gmail.com>
On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 8:36:12 PM UTC-5, Irish Ranger wrote:
> I used to watch the Oscars back when they were still about movies and movie stars.  But now it's
> just a left wing political platform for bashing America, conservatives and traditional values.  And
> the liberal's hysterical, frothing at the mouth hatred for President Trump, since he defeated
Hillary Clinton,
> has gone completely off the rails.
>
> Also, given the recent mass exposure of the sexual harassment culture that has infested Hollywood
for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally superior preaching
about
> the short-comings in the conduct of we "deplorables".
>
> That said, there is still one small part of the Oscars that I do watch, which is the Memoriam
segment
> where they pay fleeting homage to the movie stars who have passed away.  It seem fitting to spend
> a minute or two acknowledging the life and work of these actors and the memories they created.
> I only wish they would make the segment longer and, maybe some day, do a special tribute to the
> movie stats who were some how over looked and not shown, back when they passed away.
>
> So I record the Oscars, fast forward to the Memoriam, watch it and then hit delete.
>
> Irish Mike

This story appeared today, the day after the Oscars:

"The 2018 Oscars “In Memoriam” segment got an "incomplete" grade from fans after stars including
Adam West, Glen Campbell and David Cassidy were left out of the prestigious montage.

The awards show always honors Hollywood actors, singers and filmmakers who died in the last year.
Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder performed Tom Petty’s “Room at the Top,” a tribute to the late
singer, who died last October. The “In Memoriam” segment featured stars such as Sir Roger Moore,
Don Rickles, Harry Dean Stanton and Jerry Lewis.

Watchers on social media, however, were quick to point out West, known for playing Batman in the
1960s TV series, was snubbed in the segment. West died last June after battling leukemia.
Campbell, who died last August at 81, starred in the 1969 film “True Grit” and was nominated for
best original song, "I'm Not Going to Miss You," in 2015.

Other people left out of the “In Memoriam” segment included “Harlem Nights” actress Della
Reese, “The Lion King” actor Robert Guillaume, “Fraiser” star John Mahoney, "Gomer Pyle"s
Jim Nabors, "The Partridge Family" star David Cassidy, "Magnum P.I." actor John Hillerman, “Texas
Chainsaw Massacre” director Tobe Hooper, “Written on the Wind” actress Dorothy Malone, and
“House of Cards” actor Reg. E. Cathey.

Some people also argued that “M*A*S*H” star David Ogden Stiers should have been honored in the
segment, though he died a day before the awards show. However, the Oscars did manage to add Bill
Paxton into last year's "In Memoriam," who also died a day before the 2017 Academy Awards. "

Irish Mike

Next <
From: Michael OConnor <mpoconnor7@aol.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 08:00:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Michael OConnor <mpoconnor7@aol.com>
I think they had pretty much established in the past if the actor or actress if primarily a TV star,
like Farrah Fawcett, they will omit him or her from the Oscar Obituary segment unless they had a
long career that was close to 59/50 between film and TV or was a bona-fide TV star who became a
movie star, like George Clooney, or Will Farrell, as an example.

In the case of Adam West, he was very famous for Batman, and also for Family Guy.  John Hillerman
and John Mahoney both were known for playing characters on TV shows that ran for many years,
although they both had extensive movie work also.  Both of them could have been included in the
Oscar segment, but I think because they were on long-running shows, they will instead by honored by
the Emmys.

I think Tobe Hooper, who also directed "Poltergeist", should have been in the segment.  I will also
argue for Glenn Campbell, who had a brief career acting in feature films but his big role was
co-starring in an iconic film "True Grit" and his music has been used in many films, and a recent
documentary about him was nominated for an Oscar.  As for Dorothy Malone, I would think any
Oscar-winning actor or actress would automatically get into the Obit reel, regardless of anything
else they did in their careers.