> Prev
From: Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
Subject: THE SHAPE OF WATER (2017)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 20:43:52 -0600
A mute cleaning woman discovers a man/fish being held captive in a
government lab and things go on from there.  This film has been
nominated for a host of Academy Awards and I don't get it, I just don't
get it. I kept wondering for whom this movie had been made.  Fans of
comic book movies? Fans of romance movies? Fans of 50s monster movies?
No to all that, Shirley, and it certainly wasn't made for the likes of
me. The Snidely Whiplash villains were cardboard cartoon caricatures,
the fishman was wearing a replica of the rubber suit worn by the
Creature from the Black Lagoon, the acting was adequate but uninspired,
there wasn't a single story element I hadn't encountered before, nothing
special here, why did they make this waste-of-time silly movie?

And HOW did it get nominated for Best Picture?  No...just no.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Subject: Re: THE SHAPE OF WATER (2017)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 06:28:59 -0600
On 3/4/18 8:43 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
> A mute cleaning woman discovers a man/fish being held captive in a
> government lab and things go on from there.  This film has been
> nominated for a host of Academy Awards and I don't get it, I just don't
> get it. I kept wondering for whom this movie had been made.  Fans of
> comic book movies? Fans of romance movies? Fans of 50s monster movies?
> No to all that, Shirley, and it certainly wasn't made for the likes of
> me. The Snidely Whiplash villains were cardboard cartoon caricatures,
> the fishman was wearing a replica of the rubber suit worn by the
> Creature from the Black Lagoon, the acting was adequate but uninspired,
> there wasn't a single story element I hadn't encountered before, nothing
> special here, why did they make this waste-of-time silly movie?
>
> And HOW did it get nominated for Best Picture?  No...just no.

It's easy to say that a movie is shit, why not go out on a limb and say
what movie should've won?  And give some reasons even.

From: Inkan1969 <jlara4606@charter.net>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 06:21:55 -0800 (PST)
From: Inkan1969 <jlara4606@charter.net>
On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 9:44:01 PM UTC-5, Bill Anderson wrote:
> A mute cleaning woman discovers a man/fish being held captive in a
> government lab and things go on from there.  This film has been
> nominated for a host of Academy Awards and I don't get it, I just don't
> get it. I kept wondering for whom this movie had been made.  Fans of
> comic book movies? Fans of romance movies? Fans of 50s monster movies?
> No to all that, Shirley, and it certainly wasn't made for the likes of
> me. The Snidely Whiplash villains were cardboard cartoon caricatures,
> the fishman was wearing a replica of the rubber suit worn by the
> Creature from the Black Lagoon, the acting was adequate but uninspired,
> there wasn't a single story element I hadn't encountered before, nothing
> special here, why did they make this waste-of-time silly movie?
>
> And HOW did it get nominated for Best Picture?  No...just no.
>
> --
> Bill Anderson
>
> I am the Mighty Favog

Del Toro implied that it was made for 50's movie monster fans:  he said he wondered what "Creature
from the Black Lagoon" would've been like if the Gil-Man got the girl.

I agree with you here.  The movie felt too self conscious about its kitschy portrayal of the late
50's.  And the movie villain was a one dimensional copy of the villain from Del Toro's "Pan's
Labyrinth".

 - Inkan1969

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 11:44:46 -0600
On 3/5/18 8:21 AM, Inkan1969 wrote:
> On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 9:44:01 PM UTC-5, Bill Anderson wrote:
>> A mute cleaning woman discovers a man/fish being held captive in a
>> government lab and things go on from there.  This film has been
>> nominated for a host of Academy Awards and I don't get it, I just don't
>> get it. I kept wondering for whom this movie had been made.  Fans of
>> comic book movies? Fans of romance movies? Fans of 50s monster movies?
>> No to all that, Shirley, and it certainly wasn't made for the likes of
>> me. The Snidely Whiplash villains were cardboard cartoon caricatures,
>> the fishman was wearing a replica of the rubber suit worn by the
>> Creature from the Black Lagoon, the acting was adequate but uninspired,
>> there wasn't a single story element I hadn't encountered before, nothing
>> special here, why did they make this waste-of-time silly movie?
>>
>> And HOW did it get nominated for Best Picture?  No...just no.
>>
>> --
>> Bill Anderson
>>
>> I am the Mighty Favog
>
> Del Toro implied that it was made for 50's movie monster fans:  he said he wondered what "Creature
from the Black Lagoon" would've been like if the Gil-Man got the girl.

> I agree with you here.  The movie felt too self conscious about its kitschy portrayal of the late
50's.  And the movie villain was a one dimensional copy of the villain from Del Toro's "Pan's
Labyrinth".

The movie looked like other del Toro movies.  The lab scenes where the
creature was kept reminded me of the scenes where the bad guy filled
with sand was kept in "Hellboy".  But the sense of nostalgia when
Richard Jenkins and Sally Hawkins were together were like nothing else
he's ever done.  And the bad guy was way worse than the bad guy in Pan's
Labyrinth, and set up the ending quite nicely.  They have classes in
music appreciation, sometimes when I read these comments I think there
should be classes in movie appreciation too.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 12:59:04 -0400
On 3/5/2018 9:21 AM, Inkan1969 wrote:
> On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 9:44:01 PM UTC-5, Bill Anderson wrote:
>> A mute cleaning woman discovers a man/fish being held captive in a
>> government lab and things go on from there.  This film has been
>> nominated for a host of Academy Awards and I don't get it, I just don't
>> get it. I kept wondering for whom this movie had been made.  Fans of
>> comic book movies? Fans of romance movies? Fans of 50s monster movies?
>> No to all that, Shirley, and it certainly wasn't made for the likes of
>> me. The Snidely Whiplash villains were cardboard cartoon caricatures,
>> the fishman was wearing a replica of the rubber suit worn by the
>> Creature from the Black Lagoon, the acting was adequate but uninspired,
>> there wasn't a single story element I hadn't encountered before, nothing
>> special here, why did they make this waste-of-time silly movie?
>>
>> And HOW did it get nominated for Best Picture?  No...just no.
>>
>> --
>> Bill Anderson
>>
>> I am the Mighty Favog
>
> Del Toro implied that it was made for 50's movie monster fans:  he said he wondered what "Creature
from the Black Lagoon" would've been like if the Gil-Man got the girl.

> I agree with you here.  The movie felt too self conscious about its kitschy portrayal of the late
50's.  And the movie villain was a one dimensional copy of the villain from Del Toro's "Pan's
Labyrinth".

I think it was a deliberately romanticized portrayal of the '50s/'60s,
as del Toro likes the borderland between harsh reality and nearby
appealing fantasy.  As to the B.P. nom (and win), I'd agree that there
might be a certain Lifetime-Achievement aspect.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 06:00:40 -0500
On 3/21/18 11:59 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 3/5/2018 9:21 AM, Inkan1969 wrote:
>> On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 9:44:01 PM UTC-5, Bill Anderson wrote:
>>> A mute cleaning woman discovers a man/fish being held captive in a
>>> government lab and things go on from there.  This film has been
>>> nominated for a host of Academy Awards and I don't get it, I just don't
>>> get it. I kept wondering for whom this movie had been made.  Fans of
>>> comic book movies? Fans of romance movies? Fans of 50s monster movies?
>>> No to all that, Shirley, and it certainly wasn't made for the likes of
>>> me. The Snidely Whiplash villains were cardboard cartoon caricatures,
>>> the fishman was wearing a replica of the rubber suit worn by the
>>> Creature from the Black Lagoon, the acting was adequate but uninspired,
>>> there wasn't a single story element I hadn't encountered before, nothing
>>> special here, why did they make this waste-of-time silly movie?
>>>
>>> And HOW did it get nominated for Best Picture?  No...just no.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bill Anderson
>>>
>>> I am the Mighty Favog
>>
>> Del Toro implied that it was made for 50's movie monster fans:  he
>> said he wondered what "Creature from the Black Lagoon" would've been
>> like if the Gil-Man got the girl.
>>
>> I agree with you here.  The movie felt too self conscious about its
>> kitschy portrayal of the late 50's.  And the movie villain was a one
>> dimensional copy of the villain from Del Toro's "Pan's Labyrinth".
>
> I think it was a deliberately romanticized portrayal of the '50s/'60s,
> as del Toro likes the borderland between harsh reality and nearby
> appealing fantasy.  As to the B.P. nom (and win), I'd agree that there
> might be a certain Lifetime-Achievement aspect.

I'd guess not since his other films were genre films and don't get the
Academy's attention.  You're just under appreciative of this movie,
which is your prerogative, but you shouldn't try and weasel out of your
criticism by spouting this bullshit.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 09:13:13 -0400
On 3/22/2018 7:00 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 3/21/18 11:59 AM, moviePig wrote:

>>> Del Toro implied that it was made for 50's movie monster fans:  he
>>> said he wondered what "Creature from the Black Lagoon" would've been
>>> like if the Gil-Man got the girl.
>>>
>>> I agree with you here.  The movie felt too self conscious about its
>>> kitschy portrayal of the late 50's.  And the movie villain was a one
>>> dimensional copy of the villain from Del Toro's "Pan's Labyrinth".
>>
>> I think it was a deliberately romanticized portrayal of the '50s/'60s,
>> as del Toro likes the borderland between harsh reality and nearby
>> appealing fantasy.  As to the B.P. nom (and win), I'd agree that there
>> might be a certain Lifetime-Achievement aspect.
>
> I'd guess not since his other films were genre films and don't get the
> Academy's attention.  You're just under appreciative of this movie,
> which is your prerogative, but you shouldn't try and weasel out of your
> criticism by spouting this bullshit.

Then I'm glad I didn't.  My remark about 'Lifetime-Achievement' was one
I'd considered putting in my original blurb.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 17:44:32 -0500
On 3/22/2018 8:13 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 3/22/2018 7:00 AM, trotsky wrote:

>>> I think it was a deliberately romanticized portrayal of the
>>> '50s/'60s, as del Toro likes the borderland between harsh reality and
>>> nearby appealing fantasy.  As to the B.P. nom (and win), I'd agree
>>> that there might be a certain Lifetime-Achievement aspect.
>>
>> I'd guess not since his other films were genre films and don't get the
>> Academy's attention.  You're just under appreciative of this movie,
>> which is your prerogative, but you shouldn't try and weasel out of
>> your criticism by spouting this bullshit.
>
> Then I'm glad I didn't.  My remark about 'Lifetime-Achievement' was one
> I'd considered putting in my original blurb.

I have no idea what the means.

---

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 22:53:00 -0400
On 3/22/2018 6:44 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 3/22/2018 8:13 AM, moviePig wrote:

>>> I'd guess not since his other films were genre films and don't get
>>> the Academy's attention.  You're just under appreciative of this
>>> movie, which is your prerogative, but you shouldn't try and weasel
>>> out of your criticism by spouting this bullshit.
>>
>> Then I'm glad I didn't.  My remark about 'Lifetime-Achievement' was
>> one I'd considered putting in my original blurb.
>
> I have no idea what the means.

Then I probably have no idea what 'weaseling' means.

--

   YOUR taste at work...