> Prev
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 10:06:44 -0500
Trying to prod police response to a crime against her family, a woman
buys ad space.  The Oscar-nommed THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING,
MISSOURI is a slice of wacky, winsomely tragic Americana.  For me, its
charms lay more in its several character arcs than in its insights.
(And I must note here that a couple of those arcs felt incomplete.)
Still, the writing often shines, and I was fully engaged throughout.  As
a b.p. nominee should be, it's well recommended.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 17:14:23 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Thursday, 8 March 2018 10:06:50 UTC-5, moviePig  wrote:
> Trying to prod police response to a crime against her family, a woman
> buys ad space.  The Oscar-nommed THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING,
> MISSOURI is a slice of wacky, winsomely tragic Americana.  For me, its
> charms lay more in its several character arcs than in its insights.
> (And I must note here that a couple of those arcs felt incomplete.)
> Still, the writing often shines, and I was fully engaged throughout.  As
> a b.p. nominee should be, it's well recommended.
>
> --
>
> - - - - - - - -
>    YOUR taste at work...
>      http://www.moviepig.com

Just one question, since I'm  never going to watch it.  Did they portray the cops and heroine as
one-dimensional, like most of these rants?

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 04:46:42 -0600
On 3/8/18 7:14 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 March 2018 10:06:50 UTC-5, moviePig  wrote:
>> Trying to prod police response to a crime against her family, a woman
>> buys ad space.  The Oscar-nommed THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING,
>> MISSOURI is a slice of wacky, winsomely tragic Americana.  For me, its
>> charms lay more in its several character arcs than in its insights.
>> (And I must note here that a couple of those arcs felt incomplete.)
>> Still, the writing often shines, and I was fully engaged throughout.  As
>> a b.p. nominee should be, it's well recommended.
>>
>> --
>>
>> - - - - - - - -
>>     YOUR taste at work...
>>       http://www.moviepig.com
>
> Just one question, since I'm  never going to watch it.  Did they portray the cops and heroine as
one-dimensional, like most of these rants?

Why aren't you going to watch it, snowflake?  And what do you think its
"ranting" about?  You're like watching a beetle that's been turned over
trying to wave its legs to right itself.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 08:26:27 -0500
On 3/9/2018 5:46 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 3/8/18 7:14 PM, RichA wrote:
>> On Thursday, 8 March 2018 10:06:50 UTC-5, moviePig  wrote:
>>> Trying to prod police response to a crime against her family, a woman
>>> buys ad space.  The Oscar-nommed THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING,
>>> MISSOURI is a slice of wacky, winsomely tragic Americana.  For me, its
>>> charms lay more in its several character arcs than in its insights.
>>> (And I must note here that a couple of those arcs felt incomplete.)
>>> Still, the writing often shines, and I was fully engaged throughout.  As
>>> a b.p. nominee should be, it's well recommended.
>>>
>> Just one question, since I'm  never going to watch it.  Did they
>> portray the cops and heroine as one-dimensional, like most of these
>> rants?
>

> Why aren't you going to watch it, snowflake?  And what do you think its
> "ranting" about?  You're like watching a beetle that's been turned over
> trying to wave its legs to right itself.

You must have seen the movie...

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 08:38:14 -0500
On 3/9/2018 8:26 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 3/9/2018 5:46 AM, trotsky wrote:
>>>>
>>> Just one question, since I'm  never going to watch it.  Did they
>>> portray the cops and heroine as one-dimensional, like most of these
>>> rants?
>>

>> Why aren't you going to watch it, snowflake?  And what do you think
>> its "ranting" about?  You're like watching a beetle that's been turned
>> over trying to wave its legs to right itself.
>
> You must have seen the movie...

Apparently, trotsky thinks of himself as giving RichA the finger.

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 04:12:55 -0600
On 3/9/18 7:26 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 3/9/2018 5:46 AM, trotsky wrote:
>>>>
>>> Just one question, since I'm  never going to watch it.  Did they
>>> portray the cops and heroine as one-dimensional, like most of these
>>> rants?
>>

>> Why aren't you going to watch it, snowflake?  And what do you think
>> its "ranting" about?  You're like watching a beetle that's been turned
>> over trying to wave its legs to right itself.
>
> You must have seen the movie...

You didn't see my posts about it last week?

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 08:57:15 -0500
On 3/10/2018 5:12 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 3/9/18 7:26 AM, moviePig wrote:

>>> Why aren't you going to watch it, snowflake?  And what do you think
>>> its "ranting" about?  You're like watching a beetle that's been
>>> turned over trying to wave its legs to right itself.
>>
>> You must have seen the movie...
>
> You didn't see my posts about it last week?

No, I mostly stay away from threads until I've seen a movie.

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 16:15:57 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Friday, 9 March 2018 05:46:45 UTC-5, Greg Singh  wrote:
> On 3/8/18 7:14 PM, RichA wrote:
> > On Thursday, 8 March 2018 10:06:50 UTC-5, moviePig  wrote:
> >> Trying to prod police response to a crime against her family, a woman
> >> buys ad space.  The Oscar-nommed THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING,
> >> MISSOURI is a slice of wacky, winsomely tragic Americana.  For me, its
> >> charms lay more in its several character arcs than in its insights.
> >> (And I must note here that a couple of those arcs felt incomplete.)
> >> Still, the writing often shines, and I was fully engaged throughout.  As
> >> a b.p. nominee should be, it's well recommended.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> - - - - - - - -
> >>     YOUR taste at work...
> >>       http://www.moviepig.com
> >
> > Just one question, since I'm  never going to watch it.  Did they portray the cops and heroine as
one-dimensional, like most of these rants?

> Why aren't you going to watch it, snowflake?  And what do you think its
> "ranting" about?  You're like watching a beetle that's been turned over
> trying to wave its legs to right itself.

What did the last one say to you?  "Please don't eat me!"

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 04:22:24 -0600
On 3/9/18 6:15 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Friday, 9 March 2018 05:46:45 UTC-5, Greg Singh  wrote:

>>> Just one question, since I'm  never going to watch it.  Did they portray the cops and heroine as
one-dimensional, like most of these rants?

>> Why aren't you going to watch it, snowflake?  And what do you think its
>> "ranting" about?  You're like watching a beetle that's been turned over
>> trying to wave its legs to right itself.
>
> What did the last one say to you?  "Please don't eat me!"

So you can't answer the question then?  Quelle surprise.  (That's
French, which they speak in the good part of Canada.)

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 08:15:13 -0500
On 3/8/2018 10:06 AM, moviePig wrote:

> Trying to prod police response to a crime against her family, a woman
> buys ad space.  The Oscar-nommed THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING,
> MISSOURI is a slice of wacky, winsomely tragic Americana.  For me, its
> charms lay more in its several character arcs than in its insights. (And
> I must note here that a couple of those arcs felt incomplete.) Still,
> the writing often shines, and I was fully engaged throughout.  As a b.p.
> nominee should be, it's well recommended.

This movie had good acting and well written characters (even if they
were sometimes too witty for themselves), but it felt like it jumped the
shark around midway through the film.  It was a good film.  It was an
entertaining film.  I agree with you about some unresolved character
arcs.  I wish it hadn't been so over-the-top.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 08:31:56 -0500
On 3/9/2018 8:15 AM, Obveeus wrote:

> On 3/8/2018 10:06 AM, moviePig wrote:
>>
>> Trying to prod police response to a crime against her family, a woman
>> buys ad space.  The Oscar-nommed THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING,
>> MISSOURI is a slice of wacky, winsomely tragic Americana.  For me, its
>> charms lay more in its several character arcs than in its insights.
>> (And I must note here that a couple of those arcs felt incomplete.)
>> Still, the writing often shines, and I was fully engaged throughout.
>> As a b.p. nominee should be, it's well recommended.
>
> This movie had good acting and well written characters (even if they
> were sometimes too witty for themselves), but it felt like it jumped the
> shark around midway through the film.  It was a good film.  It was an
> entertaining film.  I agree with you about some unresolved character
> arcs.  I wish it hadn't been so over-the-top.

My version of that is that, despite all its trappings, I always had the
feeling that I wasn't watching "the movie that should've won the Oscar".
  Was there any particular development the brought the shark into view?

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 08:39:41 -0500
On 3/9/2018 8:31 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 3/9/2018 8:15 AM, Obveeus wrote:
>>
>> On 3/8/2018 10:06 AM, moviePig wrote:
>>>
>>> Trying to prod police response to a crime against her family, a woman
>>> buys ad space.  The Oscar-nommed THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING,
>>> MISSOURI is a slice of wacky, winsomely tragic Americana.  For me,
>>> its charms lay more in its several character arcs than in its
>>> insights. (And I must note here that a couple of those arcs felt
>>> incomplete.) Still, the writing often shines, and I was fully engaged
>>> throughout. As a b.p. nominee should be, it's well recommended.
>>
>> This movie had good acting and well written characters (even if they
>> were sometimes too witty for themselves), but it felt like it jumped
>> the shark around midway through the film.  It was a good film.  It was
>> an entertaining film.  I agree with you about some unresolved
>> character arcs.  I wish it hadn't been so over-the-top.
>
> My version of that is that, despite all its trappings, I always had the
> feeling that I wasn't watching "the movie that should've won the Oscar".
>   Was there any particular development the brought the shark into view?

The moment the shark went out the second story window...and multiple
more things after that which were just as jumpy as the film let a
quality story devolve into nothing more than quirky characters.

From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 09:20:27 -0500
On 3/9/2018 8:39 AM, Obveeus wrote:

> On 3/9/2018 8:31 AM, moviePig wrote:

>>> This movie had good acting and well written characters (even if they
>>> were sometimes too witty for themselves), but it felt like it jumped
>>> the shark around midway through the film.  It was a good film.  It
>>> was an entertaining film.  I agree with you about some unresolved
>>> character arcs.  I wish it hadn't been so over-the-top.
>>
>> My version of that is that, despite all its trappings, I always had
>> the feeling that I wasn't watching "the movie that should've won the
>> Oscar".   Was there any particular development the brought the shark
>> into view?
>
> The moment the shark went out the second story window...and multiple
> more things after that which were just as jumpy as the film let a
> quality story devolve into nothing more than quirky characters.

Fwiw, it seems possible that 'quirky characters' was always what the
writer-director had in mind -- which, I'll agree, the defenestration
brought home.  McDormand's son, btw, was the actor from
MANCHESTER-BY-THE-SEA -- an unintended comparison that did this movie no
favors...

--

- - - - - - - -
   YOUR taste at work...

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 04:18:49 -0600
On 3/9/18 8:20 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 3/9/2018 8:39 AM, Obveeus wrote:

>>> My version of that is that, despite all its trappings, I always had
>>> the feeling that I wasn't watching "the movie that should've won the
>>> Oscar".   Was there any particular development the brought the shark
>>> into view?
>>
>> The moment the shark went out the second story window...and multiple
>> more things after that which were just as jumpy as the film let a
>> quality story devolve into nothing more than quirky characters.
>
> Fwiw, it seems possible that 'quirky characters' was always what the
> writer-director had in mind -- which, I'll agree, the defenestration
> brought home.  McDormand's son, btw, was the actor from
> MANCHESTER-BY-THE-SEA -- an unintended comparison that did this movie no
> favors...

More horseshit.  Focus on what made this movie different: being the
cinematic equivalent of a foul mouthed bar conversation.  That just also
happened to have characters striving for redemption at the same time.
In fact, looking back on it, I would imagine this point is lost in many
viewers (including me until I just realized it) did you catch that the
need for redemption in the case of Frances McDormand's case was seen
entirely by the flashbacks of her with her daughter?

From: SLGreg <SLGreg@madeitup.com>
From: SLGreg <SLGreg@madeitup.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2018 07:33:31 -0800

From: Bill Anderson <billanderson@my-deja.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 13:48:16 -0800 (PST)
From: Bill Anderson <billanderson@my-deja.com>
Again, IN BRUGES. There are indeed similarities.

—
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog.

From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 16:16:50 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Friday, 9 March 2018 08:39:45 UTC-5, Obveeus  wrote:
> On 3/9/2018 8:31 AM, moviePig wrote:

> >> This movie had good acting and well written characters (even if they
> >> were sometimes too witty for themselves), but it felt like it jumped
> >> the shark around midway through the film.  It was a good film.  It was
> >> an entertaining film.  I agree with you about some unresolved
> >> character arcs.  I wish it hadn't been so over-the-top.
> >
> > My version of that is that, despite all its trappings, I always had the
> > feeling that I wasn't watching "the movie that should've won the Oscar"..
> >   Was there any particular development the brought the shark into view?
>
> The moment the shark went out the second story window...and multiple
> more things after that which were just as jumpy as the film let a
> quality story devolve into nothing more than quirky characters.

Is McDormand stuck in a "Fargo" loop?

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 04:23:53 -0600
On 3/9/18 6:16 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Friday, 9 March 2018 08:39:45 UTC-5, Obveeus  wrote:

>>> My version of that is that, despite all its trappings, I always had the
>>> feeling that I wasn't watching "the movie that should've won the Oscar".
>>>    Was there any particular development the brought the shark into view?
>>
>> The moment the shark went out the second story window...and multiple
>> more things after that which were just as jumpy as the film let a
>> quality story devolve into nothing more than quirky characters.
>
> Is McDormand stuck in a "Fargo" loop?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES, BY WINNING MULTIPLE OSCARS!  WOULDN'T YOU BE BETTER OFF JUST BY
TYPING "RICHA IS A DUMBSHIT"?

From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 04:14:58 -0600
On 3/9/18 7:31 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 3/9/2018 8:15 AM, Obveeus wrote:
>>
>> On 3/8/2018 10:06 AM, moviePig wrote:
>>>
>>> Trying to prod police response to a crime against her family, a woman
>>> buys ad space.  The Oscar-nommed THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING,
>>> MISSOURI is a slice of wacky, winsomely tragic Americana.  For me,
>>> its charms lay more in its several character arcs than in its
>>> insights. (And I must note here that a couple of those arcs felt
>>> incomplete.) Still, the writing often shines, and I was fully engaged
>>> throughout. As a b.p. nominee should be, it's well recommended.
>>
>> This movie had good acting and well written characters (even if they
>> were sometimes too witty for themselves), but it felt like it jumped
>> the shark around midway through the film.  It was a good film.  It was
>> an entertaining film.  I agree with you about some unresolved
>> character arcs.  I wish it hadn't been so over-the-top.
>
> My version of that is that, despite all its trappings, I always had the
> feeling that I wasn't watching "the movie that should've won the Oscar".
>   Was there any particular development the brought the shark into view?

Did you say that it was over the top?  I must have missed that part.  As
ever, "Obveeus" missed the obvious: it's being "over the top" made it
stand out and kept it from being another slice of life art film.  My God
are there some stupid comments on the internet.

From: luisbunuel <luisbunuel@aol.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 20:29:48 -0800 (PST)
From: luisbunuel@aol.com
On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 10:06:50 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
> Trying to prod police response to a crime against her family, a woman
> buys ad space.  The Oscar-nommed THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING,
> MISSOURI is a slice of wacky, winsomely tragic Americana.  For me, its
> charms lay more in its several character arcs than in its insights.
> (And I must note here that a couple of those arcs felt incomplete.)
> Still, the writing often shines, and I was fully engaged throughout.  As
> a b.p. nominee should be, it's well recommended.
>
> --
>
> - - - - - - - -
>    YOUR taste at work...
>      http://www.moviepig.com

Such a good movie on multiple levels. I found myself enjoying  my time with the characters and their
story. Oh--nice plotting.

Next <
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 14:04:43 -0500
On 3/9/18 10:29 PM, luisbunuel@aol.com wrote:
> On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 10:06:50 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
>> Trying to prod police response to a crime against her family, a woman
>> buys ad space.  The Oscar-nommed THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING,
>> MISSOURI is a slice of wacky, winsomely tragic Americana.  For me, its
>> charms lay more in its several character arcs than in its insights.
>> (And I must note here that a couple of those arcs felt incomplete.)
>> Still, the writing often shines, and I was fully engaged throughout.  As
>> a b.p. nominee should be, it's well recommended.
>>
>> --

>>     YOUR taste at work...
>>       http://www.moviepig.com
>
> Such a good movie on multiple levels. I found myself enjoying  my time with the characters and
their story. Oh--nice plotting.

Agreed.