> Prev
From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Subject: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin2!goblin1!goblin.stu.neva.ru!border1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 08:26:48 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
X-Mozilla-News-Host: news://news.plus.net:119
From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Subject: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 14:26:48 +0100
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/52.4.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Language: en-GB
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-ID: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
Lines: 8
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-buyHwxiKrJsMx3iJPDxbaTJ5xSWm+K8how4IUI9/12Ch1QzMBWt1QMCBhRDm5IbfAuOmjVdgubDKuDf!k1ADsG0ccFiLM8QaMzdkOnKbUs27Jgvm1DatlUKpeOBTOHN1TN1/HJDj6g+i9TT8EfhsBSp6fYNN!Yb3/slgwJ8Gkn4SvqavCqgX7MS4=
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
X-Original-Bytes: 1550
Print Article
Forward Article
I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I 
believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the trouble 
to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro and a Unix 
box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I 
invest in VueScan, or something else?

Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking to 
spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either. 

	
From: android <here@there.was>
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin3!goblin.stu.neva.ru!news-2.dfn.de!news.dfn.de!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 15:59:01 +0200
Organization: the center
Lines: 16
Message-ID: <here-3B9CFC.15590124102017@news.individual.net>
References: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
X-Trace: individual.net uQcU7kjhV2GEdGW2fycXwATimcZjxqBExYJXCHPo6CvJor1oAM
X-Orig-Path: here
Cancel-Lock: sha1:l4jfQOOWiQNf6EFN5/9RDNFnvcI=
User-Agent: MT-NewsWatcher/3.5.2 (Intel Mac OS X)
Print Article
Forward Article
In article<LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
 newshound<newshound@stevejqr.plus.com> wrote:

> I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I 
> believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the trouble 
> to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro and a Unix 
> box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I 
> invest in VueScan, or something else?
> 
> Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking to 
> spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.

Download Vuescan and check if you like the results. The download is free 
and fully functional besides clearly visible "watermarks".
-- 
teleportation kills 

	
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 14:33:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
From: Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 15:33:00 -0400
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.3.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Language: en-US
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-ID: <sOWdnUD73tTxCHLEnZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@giganews.com>
Lines: 17
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-Eb7EzNdlvjRrEuy3iuIAQX4JTakDcr9Kmbrh8UpSzey6ulMGt0m8oeL1KT+VkSeMLT9iRPI20ARU0nc!GkIrXExu8LXtOVcs7DS+m6qSxYoxTTh+OiDCjOsDNh8vgIWeb3bbPJ3GdEx/A+bxWATYBkZggz0=
X-Complaints-To: abuse@giganews.com
X-DMCA-Notifications: http://www.giganews.com/info/dmca.html
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
X-Original-Bytes: 2142
Print Article
Forward Article
On 2017-10-24 09:26, newshound wrote:
> I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I 
> believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the trouble 
> to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro and a Unix 
> box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I 
> invest in VueScan, or something else?
> 
> Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking to 
> spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.

I'd get it up and running, but I'm funny that way.  That scanner was a 
late model, the last from Minolta being the 5400 (and 5400 II).  I had 
the 5400 and it was excellent.  (Sold it and bought a Nikon 9000ED).

Is VueScan worth it?  Sure.  Currently it's about US$90.  Question is: 
can you get equivalent (or better) scans of the photos of interest for 
less cost (and hassle). 

	
From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!feeder.erje.net!1.eu.feeder.erje.net!border1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 05:34:38 -0500
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<sOWdnUD73tTxCHLEnZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 11:34:39 +0100
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/52.4.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <sOWdnUD73tTxCHLEnZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@giganews.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Language: en-GB
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Message-ID: <t6CdnW1ZT8sj9W3EnZ2dnUU78IfNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
Lines: 25
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-A1Im3V0cI/tgO7yl/IypOEU44wIC4vMGNTHWmVnibhJiABH4kXwARbzEIlbW/bNJ8rY3RmWgbuhqMr5!zxxJsHn/7egiKNle9nMzlVKV08JSLZxWX2ZZJDqwPtxmwu4mQYyXrXdV14+cWUbqGhRHyS7q/Nja!FRhgVxSy2Qd9yQNr8ebqbRMgfCg=
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
X-Original-Bytes: 2479
Print Article
Forward Article
On 24/10/2017 20:33, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2017-10-24 09:26, newshound wrote:
>> I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I 
>> believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the 
>> trouble to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro 
>> and a Unix box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, 
>> should I invest in VueScan, or something else?
>>
>> Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking 
>> to spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.
> 
> I'd get it up and running, but I'm funny that way.  That scanner was a 
> late model, the last from Minolta being the 5400 (and 5400 II).  I had 
> the 5400 and it was excellent.  (Sold it and bought a Nikon 9000ED).
> 
> Is VueScan worth it?  Sure.  Currently it's about US$90.  Question is: 
> can you get equivalent (or better) scans of the photos of interest for 
> less cost (and hassle).

Thanks both for the advice on VueScan. I've been burned before with 
trialware that has great reviews on-line, takes an age to get setup and 
working, turns out to have the feature I wanted to test crippled, and 
only then declares its true cost.

I'll give it a try. 

	
From: android <here@there.was>
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin2!goblin1!goblin.stu.neva.ru!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 12:57:49 +0200
Organization: the center
Lines: 37
Message-ID: <here-D76963.12574825102017@news.individual.net>
References: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <sOWdnUD73tTxCHLEnZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@giganews.com> <t6CdnW1ZT8sj9W3EnZ2dnUU78IfNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
X-Trace: individual.net R7wUSwWsA916QMPZQ6iriQxKxKgyqm95hjQckYyJIQtZ1yb6rV
X-Orig-Path: here
Cancel-Lock: sha1:jQMUiR9c6Hjtt/wc1YZTH02xt4o=
User-Agent: MT-NewsWatcher/3.5.2 (Intel Mac OS X)
Print Article
Forward Article
In article<t6CdnW1ZT8sj9W3EnZ2dnUU78IfNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
 newshound<newshound@stevejqr.plus.com> wrote:

> On 24/10/2017 20:33, Alan Browne wrote:
> > On 2017-10-24 09:26, newshound wrote:
> >> I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I 
> >> believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the 
> >> trouble to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro 
> >> and a Unix box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, 
> >> should I invest in VueScan, or something else?
> >>
> >> Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking 
> >> to spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.
> > 
> > I'd get it up and running, but I'm funny that way.  That scanner was a 
> > late model, the last from Minolta being the 5400 (and 5400 II).  I had 
> > the 5400 and it was excellent.  (Sold it and bought a Nikon 9000ED).
> > 
> > Is VueScan worth it?  Sure.  Currently it's about US$90.  Question is: 
> > can you get equivalent (or better) scans of the photos of interest for 
> > less cost (and hassle).
> 
> Thanks both for the advice on VueScan. I've been burned before with 
> trialware that has great reviews on-line, takes an age to get setup and 
> working, turns out to have the feature I wanted to test crippled, and 
> only then declares its true cost.
> 
> I'll give it a try.

I've paid for and use the pro version. You don't need to pay to try. You 
need to pay to get scans without watermarks. I've described my workflow 
in another thread some time ago... You can find two samples in the 
gallery of my blog:

<http://wp.me/P3strj-2m>
-- 
teleportation kills 

	
From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!ecngs!feeder2.ecngs.de!border1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 06:54:59 -0500
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<sOWdnUD73tTxCHLEnZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t6CdnW1ZT8sj9W3EnZ2dnUU78IfNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<here-D76963.12574825102017@news.individual.net>
From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 12:55:01 +0100
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/52.4.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <here-D76963.12574825102017@news.individual.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Language: en-GB
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Message-ID: <1_idncJC9-QO5m3EnZ2dnUU78IOdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
Lines: 38
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-wEhzsEeQd6UH9J4QCaeYAsbtaP2lftz1UAZqfxHEcnYCjp6UMxhz9vm1aGKOPjee36wRz9xxMbm2waK!uTfbwThiUHAGdiTs2FXI6PRJU+pi191RrFSpzyj+sv2dPTjnm9EKEopiQneK6pOevJYfs7Foh1V1!71k2JpUylz3m3mKl+kv1STAfexk=
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
X-Original-Bytes: 3124
Print Article
Forward Article
On 25/10/2017 11:57, android wrote:
> In article<t6CdnW1ZT8sj9W3EnZ2dnUU78IfNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
>   newshound<newshound@stevejqr.plus.com> wrote:
> 
>> On 24/10/2017 20:33, Alan Browne wrote:
>>> On 2017-10-24 09:26, newshound wrote:
>>>> I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I
>>>> believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the
>>>> trouble to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro
>>>> and a Unix box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand,
>>>> should I invest in VueScan, or something else?
>>>>
>>>> Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking
>>>> to spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.
>>>
>>> I'd get it up and running, but I'm funny that way.  That scanner was a
>>> late model, the last from Minolta being the 5400 (and 5400 II).  I had
>>> the 5400 and it was excellent.  (Sold it and bought a Nikon 9000ED).
>>>
>>> Is VueScan worth it?  Sure.  Currently it's about US$90.  Question is:
>>> can you get equivalent (or better) scans of the photos of interest for
>>> less cost (and hassle).
>>
>> Thanks both for the advice on VueScan. I've been burned before with
>> trialware that has great reviews on-line, takes an age to get setup and
>> working, turns out to have the feature I wanted to test crippled, and
>> only then declares its true cost.
>>
>> I'll give it a try.
> 
> I've paid for and use the pro version. You don't need to pay to try. You
> need to pay to get scans without watermarks. I've described my workflow
> in another thread some time ago... You can find two samples in the
> gallery of my blog:
> 
> <http://wp.me/P3strj-2m>
> 
Thanks. I used to *love* Kodachrome II. 

	
From: Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com>
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin1!goblin.stu.neva.ru!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 08:01:48 +1100
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 29
Message-ID: <41j4vcd3hat389at1g7frjd5vlt6aicu7i@4ax.com>
References: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <sOWdnUD73tTxCHLEnZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@giganews.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="3f8175dfefd6c90f045d09b0c87886f5";
logging-data="21033"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org";posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19rmsNNrleSNK6h/4jl/9fS"
User-Agent: ForteAgent/8.00.32.1272
Cancel-Lock: sha1:o9lJNiETLVE8SoP3IUF9VlhQvmE=
Print Article
Forward Article
On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 15:33:00 -0400, Alan Browne<alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

>On 2017-10-24 09:26, newshound wrote:
>> I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I 
>> believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the trouble 
>> to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro and a Unix 
>> box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I 
>> invest in VueScan, or something else?
>> 
>> Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking to 
>> spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.
>
>I'd get it up and running, but I'm funny that way.  That scanner was a 
>late model, the last from Minolta being the 5400 (and 5400 II).  I had 
>the 5400 and it was excellent.  (Sold it and bought a Nikon 9000ED).
>
>Is VueScan worth it?  Sure.  Currently it's about US$90.  Question is: 
>can you get equivalent (or better) scans of the photos of interest for 
>less cost (and hassle).

I have a Dimage scanner but it's slow.
Are there good commercial scanning services for slides, that can
handle a chest full of old slides?  Some slides have disintegrating
cardboard surrounds that will have to be cleaned.
Do these commercial scanning services clean the slides too?  Some
slides have been stored in the open with emulsion-side up and so have
dust entrained in the emulsion.   And there are fingerprints.  Can the
soiled surface of the emulsion be scraped off? 

	
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 17:00:33 -0500
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<sOWdnUD73tTxCHLEnZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<41j4vcd3hat389at1g7frjd5vlt6aicu7i@4ax.com>
From: Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 18:00:33 -0400
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.3.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <41j4vcd3hat389at1g7frjd5vlt6aicu7i@4ax.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Language: en-US
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-ID: <h_WdnVHKWa6cxm_EnZ2dnUU7-T3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
Lines: 42
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-nI05njBTfzKq9s90xxSn0Wrbuov9w7sI7nbNyT3PSlZ/Bqzz1bXobPRdDrcVCPbCuBb2HBvpREne9kT!FN/qrR/oQaqGqPDa2zYcbHR3UuVeB2+syOt2HcTvr/xJ37a4r7d6FOtu6p36V+8Od284FUu75WY=
X-Complaints-To: abuse@giganews.com
X-DMCA-Notifications: http://www.giganews.com/info/dmca.html
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
X-Original-Bytes: 3379
Print Article
Forward Article
On 2017-10-26 17:01, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 15:33:00 -0400, Alan Browne 
><alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
> 
>> On 2017-10-24 09:26, newshound wrote:
>>> I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which
>>> I believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the
>>> trouble to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook
>>> Pro and a Unix box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I
>>> understand, should I invest in VueScan, or something else?
>>> 
>>> Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not
>>> looking to spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement
>>> either.
>> 
>> I'd get it up and running, but I'm funny that way.  That scanner
>> was a late model, the last from Minolta being the 5400 (and 5400
>> II).  I had the 5400 and it was excellent.  (Sold it and bought a
>> Nikon 9000ED).
>> 
>> Is VueScan worth it?  Sure.  Currently it's about US$90.  Question
>> is: can you get equivalent (or better) scans of the photos of
>> interest for less cost (and hassle).
> 
> I have a Dimage scanner but it's slow. Are there good commercial
> scanning services for slides, that can handle a chest full of old
> slides?  Some slides have disintegrating cardboard surrounds that
> will have to be cleaned. Do these commercial scanning services clean
> the slides too?  Some slides have been stored in the open with
> emulsion-side up and so have dust entrained in the emulsion.   And
> there are fingerprints.  Can the soiled surface of the emulsion be
> scraped off?

Very difficult to clean the emulsion side unless you have the right 
chemicals and technique.  One of those chemicals is now banned.  (Google 
away for the details).

ICE (in those scanners that have it) does a remarkable job and even a 
badly scratched, dusty, finger printed slide comes out great but may 
need a bit of touch up.  VueScan supports ICE (as IR scanning).

Call a service to find out to what degree they'll handle damaged slides. 

	
From: Dimitris Tzortzakakis <noone@nospam.com>
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin1!goblin.stu.neva.ru!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Dimitris Tzortzakakis <noone@nospam.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 16:37:54 +0300
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 21
Message-ID: <osq43k$tam$1@dont-email.me>
References: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 13:37:56 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="9d97a2da061d4567698fb49eee464080";
logging-data="30038"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org";posting-account="U2FsdGVkX18yrk/U8daws8whQD3KqGuBVK4OFJwGI9E="
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/52.4.0
In-Reply-To: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
Content-Language: el
X-Antivirus: AVG (VPS 171025-0, 25/10/2017), Outbound message
Cancel-Lock: sha1:qpHoBHLRQHS0S/9zMvsT8rnwFIo=
Print Article
Forward Article
Στις 24/10/2017 4:26 μμ, ο newshound έγραψε:
> I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I 
> believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the trouble 
> to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro and a Unix 
> box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I 
> invest in VueScan, or something else?
> 
> Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking to 
> spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.
I'm not sure about getting it to work on win10, it might as well be 
impossible. I have a Rollei scanner, which is standalone and takes an SD 
card, and is for B&W, colour negs and slides. I bought it from an online 
shop, called e-shop in Greece. It is Rollei DF-S 100 SE and cost me 65 
euros in 2015, and produces acceptable results, as long as you have the 
patience to clean the negatives, or slides. Getting your dimage to work 
in win 10 might be a different kettle of fish.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com 

	
From: Noons <wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin3!goblin1!goblin.stu.neva.ru!news.mixmin.net!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Noons <wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 23:31:17 +1100
Organization: NOYB
Lines: 22
Message-ID: <osskis$bc8$1@dont-email.me>
References: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 12:31:25 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="6cd85fd04552c04fc824bdde78078d7c";
logging-data="11656"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org";posting-account="U2FsdGVkX18uKXLndMIr6PbApVOluidu"
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/52.3.0
In-Reply-To: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
Content-Language: en-US
Cancel-Lock: sha1:PxJK2JvKgfiD7Z6AnORlFxPieyU=
Print Article
Forward Article
On 25/10/2017 12:26 @wiz, newshound wrote:


> box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I 
> invest in VueScan, or something else?

Most definitely vuescan.  I cannot recommend it more highly.
Been using it for over 10 years and it is the best value.


> Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking to 
> spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.

If you find a more neew recent scanner as good as that one, let us know.

Unfortunately apart from some of the top end Epsons, there is very 
little choice nowadays.
Other than something incredibly expensive like the plustek Opticfilm120 
- which is that expensive because of the crap software bundled with it.

Mine works heaps better with vuescan than with its horrible bundled 
software! 

	
From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!weretis.net!feeder4.news.weretis.net!border2.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:54:58 -0500
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<osskis$bc8$1@dont-email.me>
From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 16:54:59 +0100
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/52.4.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <osskis$bc8$1@dont-email.me>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Language: en-GB
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Message-ID: <xJidneEJ977PmG_EnZ2dnUU78LOdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
Lines: 26
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-6GAFEDUpU4/wra+f/nHTVpfq8PDtBR+WL46uDIUU4OmPBXBxZNcE5P09fUuj8LzBtjQjzRMgMLucOSS!GGtcZm8V24OMkkhVlG7H4E/iJI4ZbJ5dU8S56qNi1UpRhA1MaPQGi5qbd6affPDNdD/rT11FCCXP!5u4ynBOzc1UUScqjfBYOVO5I/vU=
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
X-Original-Bytes: 2205
Print Article
Forward Article
On 26/10/2017 13:31, Noons wrote:
> On 25/10/2017 12:26 @wiz, newshound wrote:
> 
> 
>> box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I 
>> invest in VueScan, or something else?
> 
> Most definitely vuescan.  I cannot recommend it more highly.
> Been using it for over 10 years and it is the best value.
> 
> 
>> Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking 
>> to spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.
> 
> If you find a more neew recent scanner as good as that one, let us know.
> 
> Unfortunately apart from some of the top end Epsons, there is very 
> little choice nowadays.
> Other than something incredibly expensive like the plustek Opticfilm120 
> - which is that expensive because of the crap software bundled with it.
> 
> Mine works heaps better with vuescan than with its horrible bundled 
> software!

Thanks, that's definitely on my list to try, then! Nothing like a couple 
of recommendations from actual users! 

	
From: Russell D. <rmd#@sfcnnn.org>
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed9.news.xs4all.nl!feeder.erje.net!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!feed.usenet.farm!feeder4.usenet.farm!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: "Russell D." <rmd#@sfcnnn.org>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 09:47:36 -0600
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 28
Message-ID: <osvker$mcn$1@dont-email.me>
References: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<osskis$bc8$1@dont-email.me>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 15:47:39 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="5eb3417ff80fec84a684799fd4d05697";
logging-data="22935"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org";posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19y/nHxiUrIj0LbO96FYkyUjHzE0KXNF2s="
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/52.4.0
In-Reply-To: <osskis$bc8$1@dont-email.me>
Content-Language: en-US
Cancel-Lock: sha1:XKQNoG6WGVxcc4NuS85r6KLPIRM=
Print Article
Forward Article
On 10/26/2017 6:31 AM, Noons wrote:
> On 25/10/2017 12:26 @wiz, newshound wrote:
> 
> 
>> box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I 
>> invest in VueScan, or something else?
> 
> Most definitely vuescan.  I cannot recommend it more highly.
> Been using it for over 10 years and it is the best value.
> 
> 
>> Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking 
>> to spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.
> 
> If you find a more neew recent scanner as good as that one, let us know.
> 
> Unfortunately apart from some of the top end Epsons, there is very 
> little choice nowadays.
> Other than something incredibly expensive like the plustek Opticfilm120 
> - which is that expensive because of the crap software bundled with it.
> 
> Mine works heaps better with vuescan than with its horrible bundled 
> software!

Another nod for Vuescan. I bought the "pro" version 7 or 8 years ago. I 
works great.

Russell 

	
From: Wally <Wally@luxx.com>
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!peer01.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer04.fr7!futter-mich.highwinds-media.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!post02.iad!fx40.iad.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Wally <Wally@luxx.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Message-ID: <vqn4vcpb75aufd7iipdgldrgdms1885dak@4ax.com>
References: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 6.00/32.1186
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Antivirus: Avast (VPS 171026-4, 10/26/2017), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
Lines: 14
X-Complaints-To: abuse@frugalusenet.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 22:20:53 UTC
Organization: frugalusenet - www.frugalusenet.com
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 16:20:52 -0600
X-Received-Body-CRC: 348861810
X-Received-Bytes: 1553
Print Article
Forward Article
On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 14:26:48 +0100, newshound<newshound@stevejqr.plus.com> wrote:

>I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I 
>believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the trouble 
>to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro and a Unix 
>box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I 
>invest in VueScan, or something else?
>
>Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking to 
>spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.

My Nikon Coolscan 5000ED works great with Vuescan and Win 10. Your
Minolta will probably work the Vuescan driver. 

	
From: android <here@there.was>
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin1!goblin.stu.neva.ru!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 00:34:17 +0200
Organization: the center
Lines: 27
Message-ID: <here-ADFD8F.00341627102017@news.individual.net>
References: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <vqn4vcpb75aufd7iipdgldrgdms1885dak@4ax.com>
X-Trace: individual.net JQ6/M5L6UZ90VXMUiSzcLQOdoZ6TsDcgJiiGyre8uhhu0ghJ2L
X-Orig-Path: here
Cancel-Lock: sha1:swLK9LKL6y3WavHfcBipTylFlNE=
User-Agent: MT-NewsWatcher/3.5.2 (Intel Mac OS X)
Print Article
Forward Article
In article<vqn4vcpb75aufd7iipdgldrgdms1885dak@4ax.com>,
 Wally<Wally@luxx.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 14:26:48 +0100, newshound
><newshound@stevejqr.plus.com> wrote:
> 
> >I have an ancient (and almost unused) Dimage Scan Dual IV which I 
> >believe was well rated in its day. Is it still worth taking the trouble 
> >to try to get it working on Win 10 (I also have a Macbook Pro and a Unix 
> >box)? No current drivers from Minolta/Konica I understand, should I 
> >invest in VueScan, or something else?
> >
> >Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking to 
> >spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.
> 
> My Nikon Coolscan 5000ED works great with Vuescan and Win 10. Your
> Minolta will probably work the Vuescan driver.

It's soooo easy to find out. One of the great things with VS is that if 
you get another scanner you can use the same soft, workflow and license.

<https://www.hamrick.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/does-my-s...
er-work-with-vuescan.html>

<http://tinyurl.com/y7nyt5c2>
-- 
teleportation kills 

	
Next <
From: Noons <wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin3!goblin1!goblin.stu.neva.ru!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Noons <wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Scanning 35mm negs and slides
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 20:41:03 +1100
Organization: NOYB
Lines: 10
Message-ID: <ot1jbo$3dc$1@dont-email.me>
References: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 09:41:13 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="bda415aef203b3ccf1788c3dfa3f0d30";
logging-data="3500"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org";posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+2x+cWSpYwamwMh54AD3Z9"
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/52.3.0
In-Reply-To: <LYWdnZ1H_YgFonLEnZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
Content-Language: en-US
Cancel-Lock: sha1:9NLKUjtoQfMzOvEpVbSVKtnASg0=
Print Article
Forward Article
On 25/10/2017 12:26 @wiz, newshound wrote:

Would love to know who is the f...wit deleting my posts...
Hope you chuck on your spit and die!


> 
> Or would it be easier just to buy something more recent? Not looking to 
> spend "professional" money, but not bargain basement either.