> Prev
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Subject: NIK rises from the dead
Full headers:
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 00:04:22 -0400
DxO has purchased NIK and will continue development.

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/25/dxo-buys-nik-collection-google-will...
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

From: android <here@there.was>
Subject: Re: NIK rises from the dead
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 06:51:32 +0200
In article<2kn2vc5tpkdm0tus82ipm2r16ho4vman87@4ax.com>,
 Tony Cooper<tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

> DxO has purchased NIK and will continue development.
>
> https://petapixel.com/2017/10/25/dxo-buys-nik-collection-google-will...
> velopment/?mc_cid=54bcc5e002&mc_eid=b307a66a15

That's more or less buying market. The DxO do have better duplications
for most of that soft. Good news for NIK users that have feelt lost and
been wandering about though! :-))
--
teleportation kills

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 00:34:05 -0700
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Oct 25, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in article<2kn2vc5tpkdm0tus82ipm2r16ho4vman87@4ax.com>):

> DxO has purchased NIK and will continue development.
>
> https://petapixel.com/2017/10/25/dxo-buys-nik-collection-google-will...
> velopment/?mc_cid=54bcc5e002&mc_eid=b307a66a15

I believe that with this move, and what is happening with many of the various
plugin, and Adobe alternative developers, 2018 is going to be an interesting
year. 2018 is going to be the year of the race to provide the photography
world a standalone DAM replacement for LR6, and there are going to be so many
contendors it is going to look like a presidential primary.

As far as NIK truly rising from the dead as a set of image enhancement tools,
DxO will have to deliver a worthy update/upgrade to surpass what other
developers in the field have done since Google pulled the development plug.
In my case, various pieces of the NIK Collection are seldom used today.I will
watch to see what happens to NIK with a French accent, and I will test it,
but for the most part I have moved on.

ColorEfex has been surpassed by On1, Exposure X3, and Luminar.

Viveza cannot match Luminar, or current editions of On1 Photo RAW.

Silver Efex Pro has been out done by Exposure X3, Luminar, Tonality, and On1
(&  I suspect the Topaz stuff).

HDR Efex Pro was once a benchmark, but no longer. Adobe does a better job
today with LR-C CC and ACR, but the current best HDR software is
MacPhun’s(Skylum) Aurora HDR 2018.

AnalogPro never even got to the level of Exposure X, X2, or X3.

....and Define has been left in the shade by MacPhun’s (soon to be SkyLume)
Noiseless CK and Luminar.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:29:56 -0400
On 10/26/2017 3:34 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
> (in article<2kn2vc5tpkdm0tus82ipm2r16ho4vman87@4ax.com>):
>
>> DxO has purchased NIK and will continue development.
>>
>> https://petapixel.com/2017/10/25/dxo-buys-nik-collection-google-will...
>> velopment/?mc_cid=54bcc5e002&mc_eid=b307a66a15
>
> I believe that with this move, and what is happening with many of the various
> plugin, and Adobe alternative developers, 2018 is going to be an interesting
> year. 2018 is going to be the year of the race to provide the photography
> world a standalone DAM replacement for LR6, and there are going to be so many
> contendors it is going to look like a presidential primary.
>
> As far as NIK truly rising from the dead as a set of image enhancement tools,
> DxO will have to deliver a worthy update/upgrade to surpass what other
> developers in the field have done since Google pulled the development plug.
> In my case, various pieces of the NIK Collection are seldom used today.I will
> watch to see what happens to NIK with a French accent, and I will test it,
> but for the most part I have moved on.
>
> ColorEfex has been surpassed by On1, Exposure X3, and Luminar.

I have only used On1,

> Viveza cannot match Luminar, or current editions of On1 Photo RAW.

Again, I have only used On1, and Topaz. For a quick and dirty adjustment
I prefer Viveza.

> Silver Efex Pro has been out done by Exposure X3, Luminar, Tonality, and On1
> (&  I suspect the Topaz stuff).
>
> HDR Efex Pro was once a benchmark, but no longer. Adobe does a better job
> today with LR-C CC and ACR, but the current best HDR software is
> MacPhun’s(Skylum) Aurora HDR 2018.
>
> AnalogPro never even got to the level of Exposure X, X2, or X3.
>
> ...and Define has been left in the shade by MacPhun’s (soon to be SkyLume)
> Noiseless CK and Luminar.

Topaz does a great job, but only on RAW images. I am starting to play
with DxO again.

Of course that is all opinion. What I like about NIK is the control
points. With other filters I use masking and blending, which takes much
longer, but it is more accurate, for me.

--
PeterN

From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Full headers:
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 11:26:21 -0400

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 08:42:43 -0700
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Oct 26, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in article<ujv3vctn7cqjsv5v3ac226sr8v63okht2b@4ax.com>):

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:29:56 -0400, PeterN
> <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>  wrote:
>
> > On 10/26/2017 3:34 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> > > On Oct 25, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
> > > (in article<2kn2vc5tpkdm0tus82ipm2r16ho4vman87@4ax.com>):

> > > I believe that with this move, and what is happening with many of the
> > > various
> > > plugin, and Adobe alternative developers, 2018 is going to be an
> > > interesting
> > > year. 2018 is going to be the year of the race to provide the photography
> > > world a standalone DAM replacement for LR6, and there are going to be so
> > > many
> > > contendors it is going to look like a presidential primary.
> > >
> > > As far as NIK truly rising from the dead as a set of image enhancement
> > > tools,
> > > DxO will have to deliver a worthy update/upgrade to surpass what other
> > > developers in the field have done since Google pulled the development plug.
> > > In my case, various pieces of the NIK Collection are seldom used today.I
> > > will
> > > watch to see what happens to NIK with a French accent, and I will test it,
> > > but for the most part I have moved on.
> > >
> > > ColorEfex has been surpassed by On1, Exposure X3, and Luminar.
> >
> > I have only used On1,
> >

> > > Viveza cannot match Luminar, or current editions of On1 Photo RAW.
> >
> > Again, I have only used On1, and Topaz. For a quick and dirty adjustment
> > I prefer Viveza.
> >

> > > Silver Efex Pro has been out done by Exposure X3, Luminar, Tonality, and
> > > On1
> > > (&  I suspect the Topaz stuff).
> > >
> > > HDR Efex Pro was once a benchmark, but no longer. Adobe does a better job
> > > today with LR-C CC and ACR, but the current best HDR software is
> > > MacPhun’s(Skylum) Aurora HDR 2018.
> > >
> > > AnalogPro never even got to the level of Exposure X, X2, or X3.
> > >
> > > ...and Define has been left in the shade by MacPhun’s (soon to be
> > > SkyLume)
> > > Noiseless CK and Luminar.
> > Topaz does a great job, but only on RAW images. I am starting to play
> > with DxO again.
> >

> > Of course that is all opinion. What I like about NIK is the control
> > points. With other filters I use masking and blending, which takes much
> > longer, but it is more accurate, for me.
>
> Free isn't bad, either.

For now.
Google got what they wanted, Snapseed. All DxO is doing is extending the
Google give away, until they deliver the update next year. That is going to
give DxO the time to figure out how to monitize NIK, or integrate it into
their software.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 17:57:09 -0400
On 10/26/2017 11:26 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:29:56 -0400, PeterN
> <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On 10/26/2017 3:34 AM, Savageduck wrote:
>>> On Oct 25, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
>>> (in article<2kn2vc5tpkdm0tus82ipm2r16ho4vman87@4ax.com>):

>>> I believe that with this move, and what is happening with many of the various
>>> plugin, and Adobe alternative developers, 2018 is going to be an interesting
>>> year. 2018 is going to be the year of the race to provide the photography
>>> world a standalone DAM replacement for LR6, and there are going to be so many
>>> contendors it is going to look like a presidential primary.
>>>
>>> As far as NIK truly rising from the dead as a set of image enhancement tools,
>>> DxO will have to deliver a worthy update/upgrade to surpass what other
>>> developers in the field have done since Google pulled the development plug.
>>> In my case, various pieces of the NIK Collection are seldom used today.I will
>>> watch to see what happens to NIK with a French accent, and I will test it,
>>> but for the most part I have moved on.
>>>
>>> ColorEfex has been surpassed by On1, Exposure X3, and Luminar.
>>
>> I have only used On1,
>>

>>> Viveza cannot match Luminar, or current editions of On1 Photo RAW.
>>
>> Again, I have only used On1, and Topaz. For a quick and dirty adjustment
>> I prefer Viveza.
>>

>>> Silver Efex Pro has been out done by Exposure X3, Luminar, Tonality, and On1
>>> (&  I suspect the Topaz stuff).
>>>
>>> HDR Efex Pro was once a benchmark, but no longer. Adobe does a better job
>>> today with LR-C CC and ACR, but the current best HDR software is
>>> MacPhun’s(Skylum) Aurora HDR 2018.
>>>
>>> AnalogPro never even got to the level of Exposure X, X2, or X3.
>>>
>>> ...and Define has been left in the shade by MacPhun’s (soon to be SkyLume)
>>> Noiseless CK and Luminar.
>>>
>> Topaz does a great job, but only on RAW images. I am starting to play
>> with DxO again.
>>

>> Of course that is all opinion. What I like about NIK is the control
>> points. With other filters I use masking and blending, which takes much
>> longer, but it is more accurate, for me.
>
> Free isn't bad, either.

I have been told that most of the plug in functions can be done in PS,
without plugins.

--
PeterN

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 15:04:05 -0700
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Oct 26, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article<ostlv702v2u@news6.newsguy.com>):

> On 10/26/2017 11:26 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:29:56 -0400, PeterN
> > <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>  wrote:

> > > I have only used On1,

> > > Again, I have only used On1, and Topaz. For a quick and dirty adjustment
> > > I prefer Viveza.

> > > Topaz does a great job, but only on RAW images. I am starting to play
> > > with DxO again.
> > >

> > > Of course that is all opinion. What I like about NIK is the control
> > > points. With other filters I use masking and blending, which takes much
> > > longer, but it is more accurate, for me.
> >
> > Free isn't bad, either.
>
> I have been told that most of the plug in functions can be done in PS,
> without plugins.

All of the plugin functions can be done in PS without the plugins, but that
is a royal PIA. There is a reason many of us Pro and enthusiast are willing
to pay for those plugins. Some of us paid for the NIK apps before they were
free, and when they were among the best at what they do. As I have said, to
day there are better and folks are willing to pay for them.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 22:45:26 -0400
On 10/26/2017 6:04 PM, Savageduck wrote:

<snip>

> All of the plugin functions can be done in PS without the plugins, but that
> is a royal PIA. There is a reason many of us Pro and enthusiast are willing
> to pay for those plugins. Some of us paid for the NIK apps before they were
> free, and when they were among the best at what they do. As I have said, to
> day there are better and folks are willing to pay for them.

Since I have not used many of them, I indicated I don't know whether one
is better than the other. My only comment is that they are better for
you, use them. For what I like to do, I use Painter XVII, and Painter
Essentials, in addition to other plugins. The ones I have seem to work
for me. I also like to play with the various built in tools. But that is
my preference. Others feel differently.

--
PeterN

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 18:13:37 -0400
In article<ostlv702v2u@news6.newsguy.com>, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

> >> Topaz does a great job, but only on RAW images. I am starting to play
> >> with DxO again.
> >>

> >> Of course that is all opinion. What I like about NIK is the control
> >> points. With other filters I use masking and blending, which takes much
> >> longer, but it is more accurate, for me.
> >
> > Free isn't bad, either.
>
> I have been told that most of the plug in functions can be done in PS,
> without plugins.

it boils down to how much one values their time and the quality of the
results.

From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 21:39:32 -0400
On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 17:57:09 -0400, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

>On 10/26/2017 11:26 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:29:56 -0400, PeterN
>> <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

>>> I have only used On1,

>>> Again, I have only used On1, and Topaz. For a quick and dirty adjustment
>>> I prefer Viveza.

Next <
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 22:48:07 -0400
On 10/26/2017 9:39 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 17:57:09 -0400, PeterN
> <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On 10/26/2017 11:26 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:

>>> Free isn't bad, either.
>>>

>> I have been told that most of the plug in functions can be done in PS,
>> without plugins.
>
> Most of the plug-in functions of most of the plug-ins for PS can be
> replicated in PS without the plug-in.  However, it's easier and faster
> to get the same place with a plug-in.

No question about that.

> An effect created with a plug-in can be deleted and replaced with
> slightly different effect with a few keystrokes, but making that
> change in PS may require figuring out which layer to change.  That is,
> if the user is smart enough to work on effects a layer at a time.

Yup! That is why I label my layers.

--
PeterN