> Prev
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Subject: Seagate 3TB hard drive class action lawsuits
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 00:46:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Apparently, their failure rate is something like 32%?!  Not sure if it's that bad but it must be
high.  Reason I mention it is I have a failed 3TB drive.  Luckily, anything I had on it was
backed-up elsewhere and I didn't use it much but it kicked the bucket after less than 1.5 years.
What it appears happened was that instead of using five platters in the drive, they used 3 at 1TB
each.  Something went wrong.

Lawsuits are in the U.S. and Canada.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3028981/storage/seagate-slapped-with...

From: android <here@there.was>
Subject: Re: Seagate 3TB hard drive class action lawsuits
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 09:12:36 +0100
In article<9fc72347-3524-411c-9621-511f7b4176cc@googlegroups.com>,
 RichA<rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

> Apparently, their failure rate is something like 32%?!  Not sure if it's that
> bad but it must be high.  Reason I mention it is I have a failed 3TB drive.
> Luckily, anything I had on it was backed-up elsewhere and I didn't use it
> much but it kicked the bucket after less than 1.5 years.  What it appears
> happened was that instead of using five platters in the drive, they used 3 at
> 1TB each.  Something went wrong.
>
> Lawsuits are in the U.S. and Canada.
>
> https://www.pcworld.com/article/3028981/storage/seagate-slapped-with...
> ction-lawsuit-over-hard-drive-failure-rates.html

The the the merger is on : How many states are you gonna be? I figure
Lawrence, Quebec, Ontario and Western Canada (WC). You're in the know so
spill them beans!
--
teleportation kills

From: Dimitris Tzortzakakis <noone@nospam.com>
Full headers:
From: Dimitris Tzortzakakis <noone@nospam.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 13:08:36 +0200
Στις 29/10/2017 9:46 πμ, ο RichA έγραψε:
> Apparently, their failure rate is something like 32%?!  Not sure if it's that bad but it must be
high.  Reason I mention it is I have a failed 3TB drive.  Luckily, anything I had on it was
backed-up elsewhere and I didn't use it much but it kicked the bucket after less than 1.5 years.
What it appears happened was that instead of using five platters in the drive, they used 3 at 1TB
each.  Something went wrong.

> Lawsuits are in the U.S. and Canada.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3028981/storage/seagate-slapped-with...

> I don't know about the 3TB ones but my 1TB Barracuda is going still
stable after 3 years and in the unstable Cretan electricity (many wind
turbines and photovoltaics, unfortunately).My main drive is a class 5
Intel SSD, with win 10 my ssytem boots in less than 20 secs! (Hope I'm
not opening a can of worms, though).

---
http://www.avg.com

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 10:09:19 -0400
"Dimitris Tzortzakakis"<noone@nospam.com> wrote

|  I don't know about the 3TB ones but my 1TB Barracuda is going still
| stable after 3 years

   I remember reading, awhile back, about a group
of drives where only particular sizes were bad. I
don't remember whether that was Seagate.

   This week I'm repairing a laptop for a friend.
The WD Blue disk drive died after only 3 years. The
WD diagnotic software says, "Too many errors to
continue. Replace the drive." A lemon? A mistreated
drive? Maybe a Windows program that never stopped
accessing the disk? The last possibility I can probably
plan for when I set up the new system. But lemons?
Unfortunately, those are usually only known when it's
too late, if even then.

| My main drive is a class 5
| Intel SSD, with win 10 my ssytem boots in less than 20 secs! (Hope I'm
| not opening a can of worms, though).

  I'm also using SSD for main drive and disk drive
for secondary, with redundant storage. The SSDs
are quick, but reported to often go without
warning when they do go.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 10:29:37 -0400
In article <ot4ng7$bnm$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> |  I don't know about the 3TB ones but my 1TB Barracuda is going still
> | stable after 3 years
>
>    I remember reading, awhile back, about a group
> of drives where only particular sizes were bad. I
> don't remember whether that was Seagate.

the 1.5tb and 3tb seagates were *awful*.

<https://www.backblaze.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/blog-fail-...
ves-manufactureX.jpg>

>    This week I'm repairing a laptop for a friend.
> The WD Blue disk drive died after only 3 years. The
> WD diagnotic software says, "Too many errors to
> continue. Replace the drive."

it has a lot of bad blocks.

> A lemon? A mistreated
> drive? Maybe a Windows program that never stopped
> accessing the disk? The last possibility I can probably
> plan for when I set up the new system. But lemons?
> Unfortunately, those are usually only known when it's
> too late, if even then.

stop guessing. what does smart say?

> | My main drive is a class 5
> | Intel SSD, with win 10 my ssytem boots in less than 20 secs! (Hope I'm
> | not opening a can of worms, though).
>
>   I'm also using SSD for main drive and disk drive
> for secondary, with redundant storage. The SSDs
> are quick, but reported to often go without
> warning when they do go.

hard drives can also fail without warning.

the difference is that if an ssd fails, it often fails to read-only,
whereas a drive failure is usually not usable anymore, or at best, some
files corrupted.

ssds are also *much* more reliable.

not that it matters, because with proper backups, the interruption is
minor, no matter what type of device.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 10:52:26 -0400
"nospam"<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

| stop guessing. what does smart say?

   I'm not guessing. SMART says okey dokey.
The WD diagnostic tool says bad disk. As
far as I can tell, SMART is not a terribly
useful development.

  To clarify: The disk was made by WD. I ran
low-level diagnostics with their own tool.
If there's a more dependable test than that
I don't know what it is.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 11:12:37 -0400
In article <ot4q12$ff1$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | stop guessing. what does smart say?
> |

>    I'm not guessing.

no?

what do you call this?

In article <ot4ng7$bnm$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>    This week I'm repairing a laptop for a friend.
> The WD Blue disk drive died after only 3 years. The
> WD diagnotic software says, "Too many errors to
> continue. Replace the drive." A lemon? A mistreated
> drive? Maybe a Windows program that never stopped
> accessing the disk? The last possibility I can probably
> plan for when I set up the new system. But lemons?
> Unfortunately, those are usually only known when it's
> too late, if even then.

you gave three potential reasons, while missing the obvious one, that a
3 year old drive simply has worn out.

that's clearly guessing.

>    SMART says okey dokey.

bullshit.

if it did, the wd diagnostic tool would not say 'too many errors'.

you probably did the quickie test (or don't know how to even read
smart). try the full test, which will take several hours.

> The WD diagnostic tool says bad disk. As
> far as I can tell, SMART is not a terribly
> useful development.

smart is much better than a dumbed down wd diagnostic tool and will
tell you all sorts of things, including what type of errors and what
'too many' really means.

in some cases, it's possible to salvage the drive, although since
drives are cheap, it's not really worth it other than to use for a
spare.

replace that drive with an ssd and put some life into that aging laptop.

>   To clarify: The disk was made by WD. I ran
> low-level diagnostics with their own tool.
> If there's a more dependable test than that
> I don't know what it is.

it's called smart.

which you clearly are not.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 12:04:24 -0400
"nospam"<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

| it's called smart.
|
| which you clearly are not.

   My, my. Are we critically short of sex today?
Coffee? Maybe too much coffee? Even for you
this is an unusually mean-spirited and irrelevant
blast. But I expect others can understand the
gist of my post. I'm not going to bicker with you.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 12:10:14 -0400
In article <ot4u7v$n6r$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | it's called smart.
> |
> | which you clearly are not.
>
>    My, my. Are we critically short of sex today?
> Coffee? Maybe too much coffee? Even for you
> this is an unusually mean-spirited and irrelevant
> blast. But I expect others can understand the
> gist of my post. I'm not going to bicker with you.

the gist of your post is that you don't understand what smart is and
does, how to use it to test drives and refuse to learn anything.

Next <
From: Rich A <rander3127@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 00:18:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rich A <rander3127@gmail.com>
On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 4:08:39 AM UTC-7, Dimitris Tzortzakakis wrote:
> Στις 29/10/2017 9:46 πμ, ο RichA έγραψε:
> > Apparently, their failure rate is something like 32%?!  Not sure if it's that bad but it must be
high.  Reason I mention it is I have a failed 3TB drive.  Luckily, anything I had on it was
backed-up elsewhere and I didn't use it much but it kicked the bucket after less than 1.5 years.
What it appears happened was that instead of using five platters in the drive, they used 3 at 1TB
each.  Something went wrong.

> > Lawsuits are in the U.S. and Canada.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3028981/storage/seagate-slapped-with...

> > I don't know about the 3TB ones but my 1TB Barracuda is going still
> stable after 3 years and in the unstable Cretan electricity (many wind
> turbines and photovoltaics, unfortunately).My main drive is a class 5
> Intel SSD, with win 10 my ssytem boots in less than 20 secs! (Hope I'm
> not opening a can of worms, though).
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

My OS drive is a Samsung SSD, and I have outboard drives for storage. I've got an older Seagate 2TB
that works fine.