> Prev
From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: On "real" photography vs collage
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 09:42:22 -0400
Interesting development apropos of last week's discussion:

https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-neural-network-generates-photore...

  I can't say that I really understand this technology,
but it apparently uses something like an internal
software argument to systematically improve on a
result. what they've done is to generate realistic
faces from limited data. I could imagine this being
used for image improvement. Example: Feed a bad
photo into a program and then give it good photos
of the people in photo #1, with the result being
a "clean-up" of those faces.
  The result would be something like a "realistic
fabrication", just as these sample faces are.

 They all look convincing to me, except for the
second image in from the top left and the second
one down from the top left, which both look
like cross-dressers. I find it intriguing that the
software seems to be able to put a soul behind
the eyes, so to speak, but has trouble with the
subtleties of gender features.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: On "real" photography vs collage
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 09:49:48 -0400
In article <otcj1m$1160$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> Interesting development apropos of last week's discussion:
>

> https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-neural-network-generates-photore...
> ces-disturbing-results
>
>   I can't say that I really understand this technology,

or any other technology.

> but it apparently uses something like an internal
> software argument to systematically improve on a
> result. what they've done is to generate realistic
> faces from limited data. I could imagine this being
> used for image improvement. Example: Feed a bad
> photo into a program and then give it good photos
> of the people in photo #1, with the result being
> a "clean-up" of those faces.

that's already happening.

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2017 09:28:14 +1300
On Wed, 01 Nov 2017 09:49:48 -0400, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <otcj1m$1160$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana
><mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>
>> Interesting development apropos of last week's discussion:
>>

>> https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-neural-network-generates-photore...
>> ces-disturbing-results
>>
>>   I can't say that I really understand this technology,
>
>or any other technology.

  --- aaah! Sweetness and light!

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 07:06:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 13:43:23 UTC, Mayayana  wrote:
> Interesting development apropos of last week's discussion:

https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-neural-network-generates-photore...

>   I can't say that I really understand this technology,
> but it apparently uses something like an internal
> software argument to systematically improve on a
> result. what they've done is to generate realistic
> faces from limited data. I could imagine this being
> used for image improvement. Example: Feed a bad
> photo into a program and then give it good photos
> of the people in photo #1, with the result being
> a "clean-up" of those faces.
>   The result would be something like a "realistic
> fabrication", just as these sample faces are.
>
>  They all look convincing to me, except for the
> second image in from the top left and the second
> one down from the top left, which both look
> like cross-dressers.

cross-dressers do exist and not everyone looks or is either 100% male or 100% female.

>I find it intriguing that the
> software seems to be able to put a soul behind
> the eyes, so to speak, but has trouble with the
> subtleties of gender features.

I don't see it that way, but what interests me more is where these are photographs and could they be
entered into say a portait section of a photogrphy competition as they are about as real as my
favourite warbird.  (Romulan)

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 22:45:55 +0100
Imagine if a couple goes to a doctor one day and with a nice genetic
engineering machine they design the perfect baby by modifying the DNA of
their egg cell and sperm, the way they want it to look and be.
And on the computer screen, in a photorealistic simulation, they see how
this person will look like when it's 1, 5, 10, 20 ... years old.
--
Alfred Molon

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 18:23:58 -0400
"Alfred Molon"<alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote

| Imagine if a couple goes to a doctor one day and with a nice genetic
| engineering machine they design the perfect baby by modifying the DNA of
| their egg cell and sperm, the way they want it to look and be.
| And on the computer screen, in a photorealistic simulation, they see how
| this person will look like when it's 1, 5, 10, 20 ... years old.

   Interesting idea. I wonder if it's really possible,
though. I went to grade school with identical twin
girls. Over the years they became less identical.
Different builds. different temperaments. noticeably
different faces. Yet identical genes and very similar
childhood environment.
   It makes me think of The Portrait of Dorian Gray.
We wear our minds as our bodies, to some extent.

Next <
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 19:09:30 -0400
In article<MPG.34645f00c5b832298cef4@news.supernews.com>, Alfred Molon<alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Imagine if a couple goes to a doctor one day and with a nice genetic
> engineering machine they design the perfect baby by modifying the DNA of
> their egg cell and sperm, the way they want it to look and be.
> And on the computer screen, in a photorealistic simulation, they see how
> this person will look like when it's 1, 5, 10, 20 ... years old.

that's not as far off as you might think.