> Prev
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Subject: Geotagging app
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 22:39:03 +0100
Caan anybody recommend an Android app which records position and
altitude, and later you can add that data to the exif of JPEGs and RAWs?

I'm using O.I.Share for the E-M1 II but it doesn't record the altitude.
--
Alfred Molon

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: Geotagging app
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 18:31:46 -0400
"Alfred Molon"<alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote

| Caan anybody recommend an Android app which records position and
| altitude, and later you can add that data to the exif of JPEGs and RAWs?
|
| I'm using O.I.Share for the E-M1 II but it doesn't record the altitude.

 I don't have an app suggestion, but a possible idea:
If you don't find it you might be able to rig up
something with Google maps, which does offer
altitude.
Sample:

Enter this URL into a browser and you'll get back the
elevation (in meters) for Boulder, CO. The text is
easily parsed and the whole thing can be automated.

maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/elevation/json?locations=40.014985,-105.270545

That request returns this:

{
   "results" : [
      {
         "elevation" : 1623.978393554688,
         "location" : {
            "lat" : 40.014985,
            "lng" : -105.270545
         },
         "resolution" : 19.08790397644043
      }
   ],
   "status" : "OK"
}

  But then of course there's the issue of auto-entering it
into your image files.

Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 19:00:22 -0400
On 2017-11-03 17:39, Alfred Molon wrote:
> Caan anybody recommend an Android app which records position and
> altitude, and later you can add that data to the exif of JPEGs and
> RAWs?

Any trail logger that saves (or exports) date in .kml, .kmz, .gpx, .log
(NMEA sentences) should do the trick.  But do check that it supports
altitude, esp. NMEA files as many do not record altitude.

Google Play is the source.
This looks promising:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilyabogdanovich.ge...

I use a German product called "Trails" on my iPhone - alas not available
for Android.

> I'm using O.I.Share for the E-M1 II but it doesn't record the
> altitude.

As a stopgap you could snap a photo with the Android camera and (if
properly set) that data would be saved in the snap for later transfer to
the other photos. (tedious).

Pretty much any "trail logger" can be used for what you want to do and
usually the "tagging" can be made automated in post process.  You do
need to know the offset from "real time" to your camera's time in order
to do that - no big deal using exiftool.  (ie: your time zone and the
difference between "correct" time and the camera's time (unless you
sync'd it all before going out).

Important note: GPS altitude ≠ altitude above sea level of where you are
as the GPS ellipsoid is not referenced to sea level.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2017 10:55:31 -0400
On 11/3/2017 7:00 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2017-11-03 17:39, Alfred Molon wrote:
>> Caan anybody recommend an Android app which records position and
>> altitude, and later you can add that data to the exif of JPEGs and
>> RAWs?
>
> Any trail logger that saves (or exports) date in .kml, .kmz, .gpx, .log
> (NMEA sentences) should do the trick.  But do check that it supports
> altitude, esp. NMEA files as many do not record altitude.
>
> Google Play is the source.
> This looks promising:
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilyabogdanovich.ge...
>

> I use a German product called "Trails" on my iPhone - alas not available
> for Android.
>

>> I'm using O.I.Share for the E-M1 II but it doesn't record the
>> altitude.
>
> As a stopgap you could snap a photo with the Android camera and (if
> properly set) that data would be saved in the snap for later transfer to
> the other photos. (tedious).
>
> Pretty much any "trail logger" can be used for what you want to do and
> usually the "tagging" can be made automated in post process.  You do
> need to know the offset from "real time" to your camera's time in order
> to do that - no big deal using exiftool.  (ie: your time zone and the
> difference between "correct" time and the camera's time (unless you
> sync'd it all before going out).
>
> Important note: GPS altitude ≠ altitude above sea level of where you are
> as the GPS ellipsoid is not referenced to sea level.

I do it the easy way. I take a snap of the location with my iPhone. All
relevant information is recorded.

--
PeterN

Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2017 17:17:44 -0400
On 2017-11-04 10:55, PeterN wrote:
> On 11/3/2017 7:00 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2017-11-03 17:39, Alfred Molon wrote:
>>> Caan anybody recommend an Android app which records position and
>>> altitude, and later you can add that data to the exif of JPEGs and
>>> RAWs?
>>
>> Any trail logger that saves (or exports) date in .kml, .kmz, .gpx,
>> .log (NMEA sentences) should do the trick.  But do check that it
>> supports altitude, esp. NMEA files as many do not record altitude.
>>
>> Google Play is the source.
>> This looks promising:
>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilyabogdanovich.ge...
>>

>> I use a German product called "Trails" on my iPhone - alas not
>> available for Android.
>>

>>> I'm using O.I.Share for the E-M1 II but it doesn't record the
>>> altitude.
>>
>> As a stopgap you could snap a photo with the Android camera and (if
>> properly set) that data would be saved in the snap for later transfer
>> to the other photos. (tedious).
>>
>> Pretty much any "trail logger" can be used for what you want to do and
>> usually the "tagging" can be made automated in post process.  You do
>> need to know the offset from "real time" to your camera's time in
>> order to do that - no big deal using exiftool.  (ie: your time zone
>> and the difference between "correct" time and the camera's time
>> (unless you sync'd it all before going out).
>>
>> Important note: GPS altitude ≠ altitude above sea level of where you
>> are as the GPS ellipsoid is not referenced to sea level.
>>

> I do it the easy way. I take a snap of the location with my iPhone. All
> relevant information is recorded.

That sounds like the hard way given what the OP wants to do.

The OP's issue is automated tagging his Oly phots.  Similar to me
tagging my SLR phots.  (Though I usually use an independent GPS recorder
I can also use my iPhone for that).

If you record GPS continuously then tagging any number of photos after
the fact takes a minute to set up and a few seconds to execute using a
tool like exiftool or any one of a variety of GUI based tools.

exiftool -geotag=GPS_20171103_162238.log -overwrite_original_in_place
-geosync=-4:00:00 *.dng

(Just need to navigate to the folder containing the dng's before
executing the command.  I keep a "template" of the command in a text
file so I just need to paste that into terminal, modify the gps file
name and let 'er rip).

Recording the position in a single shot is a fine backup, but pretty
tedious if you have 50 - 100 photos to tag afterwards.

From: android <here@there.was>
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 06:46:52 +0100
In article<CsCdnRcB3sTks2PEnZ2dnUU7-fnNnZ2d@giganews.com>,
 Alan Browne<alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

> On 2017-11-04 10:55, PeterN wrote:
> >>
> >> Any trail logger that saves (or exports) date in .kml, .kmz, .gpx,
> >> .log (NMEA sentences) should do the trick.  But do check that it
> >> supports altitude, esp. NMEA files as many do not record altitude.
> >>
> >> Google Play is the source.
> >> This looks promising:
> >> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilyabogdanovich.ge...
> >> r&hl=en
> >>

> >> I use a German product called "Trails" on my iPhone - alas not
> >> available for Android.

> >> As a stopgap you could snap a photo with the Android camera and (if
> >> properly set) that data would be saved in the snap for later transfer
> >> to the other photos. (tedious).
> >>
> >> Pretty much any "trail logger" can be used for what you want to do and
> >> usually the "tagging" can be made automated in post process.  You do
> >> need to know the offset from "real time" to your camera's time in
> >> order to do that - no big deal using exiftool.  (ie: your time zone
> >> and the difference between "correct" time and the camera's time
> >> (unless you sync'd it all before going out).
> >>
> >> Important note: GPS altitude ≠ altitude above sea level of where you
> >> are as the GPS ellipsoid is not referenced to sea level.
> >>

> > I do it the easy way. I take a snap of the location with my iPhone. All
> > relevant information is recorded.
>
> That sounds like the hard way given what the OP wants to do.
>
> The OP's issue is automated tagging his Oly phots.  Similar to me
> tagging my SLR phots.  (Though I usually use an independent GPS recorder
> I can also use my iPhone for that).
>
> If you record GPS continuously then tagging any number of photos after
> the fact takes a minute to set up and a few seconds to execute using a
> tool like exiftool or any one of a variety of GUI based tools.
>
> exiftool -geotag=GPS_20171103_162238.log -overwrite_original_in_place
> -geosync=-4:00:00 *.dng
>
> (Just need to navigate to the folder containing the dng's before
> executing the command.  I keep a "template" of the command in a text
> file so I just need to paste that into terminal, modify the gps file
> name and let 'er rip).
>
> Recording the position in a single shot is a fine backup, but pretty
> tedious if you have 50 - 100 photos to tag afterwards.

GPSPrune is free, has a GUI and work:

<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GpsPrune>
--
teleportation kills

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 06:48:57 +0100
In article<CsCdnRcB3sTks2PEnZ2dnUU7-fnNnZ2d@giganews.com>,
 Alan Browne<alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

> On 2017-11-04 10:55, PeterN wrote:
> >>
> >> Any trail logger that saves (or exports) date in .kml, .kmz, .gpx,
> >> .log (NMEA sentences) should do the trick.  But do check that it
> >> supports altitude, esp. NMEA files as many do not record altitude.
> >>
> >> Google Play is the source.
> >> This looks promising:
> >> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilyabogdanovich.ge...
> >> r&hl=en

Available on Aptoide too:

<https://www.aptoide.com/search/view?search=com.ilyabogdanovich.geotr...
r>

From: Tim Watts <tw_usenet@dionic.net>
From: Tim Watts <tw_usenet@dionic.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 10:29:05 +0000
On 04/11/17 21:17, Alan Browne wrote:

> If you record GPS continuously then tagging any number of photos after
> the fact takes a minute to set up and a few seconds to execute using a
> tool like exiftool or any one of a variety of GUI based tools.
>
> exiftool -geotag=GPS_20171103_162238.log -overwrite_original_in_place
> -geosync=-4:00:00 *.dng
>
> (Just need to navigate to the folder containing the dng's before
> executing the command.  I keep a "template" of the command in a text
> file so I just need to paste that into terminal, modify the gps file
> name and let 'er rip).
>
> Recording the position in a single shot is a fine backup, but pretty
> tedious if you have 50 - 100 photos to tag afterwards.

That is useful - I've used exiftool before, but this is either new or I
have not noticed this feature...

What particular app do *you* use for recording travel geo points?

Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 13:48:49 -0500
On 2017-11-06 05:29, Tim Watts wrote:
> On 04/11/17 21:17, Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> If you record GPS continuously then tagging any number of photos after
>> the fact takes a minute to set up and a few seconds to execute using a
>> tool like exiftool or any one of a variety of GUI based tools.
>>
>> exiftool -geotag=GPS_20171103_162238.log -overwrite_original_in_place
>> -geosync=-4:00:00 *.dng
>>
>> (Just need to navigate to the folder containing the dng's before
>> executing the command.  I keep a "template" of the command in a text
>> file so I just need to paste that into terminal, modify the gps file
>> name and let 'er rip).
>>
>> Recording the position in a single shot is a fine backup, but pretty
>> tedious if you have 50 - 100 photos to tag afterwards.
>
> That is useful - I've used exiftool before, but this is either new or I
> have not noticed this feature...

Many years.

> What particular app do *you* use for recording travel geo points?

I use either a dedicated GPS recorder (AMOD) or my iPhone or both.

On the iPhone I can use several apps but have tended to use Trails - as
I mentioned in my first reply to the OP.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 11:33:03 -0500
On 11/4/2017 5:17 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2017-11-04 10:55, PeterN wrote:
>>>
>>> Any trail logger that saves (or exports) date in .kml, .kmz, .gpx,
>>> .log (NMEA sentences) should do the trick.  But do check that it
>>> supports altitude, esp. NMEA files as many do not record altitude.
>>>
>>> Google Play is the source.
>>> This looks promising:
>>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilyabogdanovich.ge...
>>>

>>> I use a German product called "Trails" on my iPhone - alas not
>>> available for Android.

>>> As a stopgap you could snap a photo with the Android camera and (if
>>> properly set) that data would be saved in the snap for later transfer
>>> to the other photos. (tedious).
>>>
>>> Pretty much any "trail logger" can be used for what you want to do
>>> and usually the "tagging" can be made automated in post process.  You
>>> do need to know the offset from "real time" to your camera's time in
>>> order to do that - no big deal using exiftool.  (ie: your time zone
>>> and the difference between "correct" time and the camera's time
>>> (unless you sync'd it all before going out).
>>>
>>> Important note: GPS altitude ≠ altitude above sea level of where you
>>> are as the GPS ellipsoid is not referenced to sea level.
>>>

>> I do it the easy way. I take a snap of the location with my iPhone.
>> All relevant information is recorded.
>
> That sounds like the hard way given what the OP wants to do.

That well may be. For a lot of images it would be a PITA. I do
geotagging primarily so I can come back to the location, and/or let my
friends know the location. I started doing that after I saw some great
potential shots, but was unable to stop. I have been unable to locate
that area on Google, and I was unable to transfer the locations from my
car's GPS.
A few weeks ago we were just going for a ride, looking for possible fall
foliage shots. I quickly realized that I was a few days early, so I took
some iPhone shots, for general location purposes only.

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/awo5errl9x8hojw/Photo%20Oct%2021%2C%201%20...

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/11bsk8ervy7nofb/Photo%20Oct%2021%2C%204%20...

Unfortunately we had a Nor'easter, that blew away the leaves. But at
lease I can look in that area next year.

> The OP's issue is automated tagging his Oly phots.  Similar to me
> tagging my SLR phots.  (Though I usually use an independent GPS recorder
> I can also use my iPhone for that).
>
> If you record GPS continuously then tagging any number of photos after
> the fact takes a minute to set up and a few seconds to execute using a
> tool like exiftool or any one of a variety of GUI based tools.
>
> exiftool -geotag=GPS_20171103_162238.log -overwrite_original_in_place
> -geosync=-4:00:00 *.dng
>
> (Just need to navigate to the folder containing the dng's before
> executing the command.  I keep a "template" of the command in a text
> file so I just need to paste that into terminal, modify the gps file
> name and let 'er rip).
>
> Recording the position in a single shot is a fine backup, but pretty
> tedious if you have 50 - 100 photos to tag afterwards.

Agreed. If geotagging all of my images was important to me, I would
attach a GPS gadget to my camera.

--
PeterN

From: Tim Watts <tw_usenet@dionic.net>
Full headers:
From: Tim Watts <tw_usenet@dionic.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 22:47:58 +0000
On 04/11/17 14:55, PeterN wrote:
> On 11/3/2017 7:00 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2017-11-03 17:39, Alfred Molon wrote:
>>> Caan anybody recommend an Android app which records position and
>>> altitude, and later you can add that data to the exif of JPEGs and
>>> RAWs?
>>
>> Any trail logger that saves (or exports) date in .kml, .kmz, .gpx,
>> .log (NMEA sentences) should do the trick.  But do check that it
>> supports altitude, esp. NMEA files as many do not record altitude.
>>
>> Google Play is the source.
>> This looks promising:
>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilyabogdanovich.ge...
>>

>> I use a German product called "Trails" on my iPhone - alas not
>> available for Android.
>>

>>> I'm using O.I.Share for the E-M1 II but it doesn't record the
>>> altitude.
>>
>> As a stopgap you could snap a photo with the Android camera and (if
>> properly set) that data would be saved in the snap for later transfer
>> to the other photos. (tedious).
>>
>> Pretty much any "trail logger" can be used for what you want to do and
>> usually the "tagging" can be made automated in post process.  You do
>> need to know the offset from "real time" to your camera's time in
>> order to do that - no big deal using exiftool.  (ie: your time zone
>> and the difference between "correct" time and the camera's time
>> (unless you sync'd it all before going out).
>>
>> Important note: GPS altitude ≠ altitude above sea level of where you
>> are as the GPS ellipsoid is not referenced to sea level.
>>

> I do it the easy way. I take a snap of the location with my iPhone. All
> relevant information is recorded.

Yes - I do that too. A manual step, but in some ways simpler than
running weird geotag apps.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 08:41:31 -0500
"PeterN" <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote

| I do it the easy way. I take a snap of the location with my iPhone. All
| relevant information is recorded.

  For what it's worth, I got curious and looked at
some photos a friend took at Mt Desert Island last
year, on an iPhone 6. The lat/long seems to be
very close, within yards. The altitude, however,
is not so accurate. A photo of me looking at a rock
on the beach recorded altitude 4.53 meters
(14.8 feet). Another shot taken in the same
spot (within a few feet on a nearly flat beach)
shows 6.6 meters (21.6 feet).
This photo...

http://www.jsware.net/Files2/cliff1.jpg

....shows 58.84 meters (193 feet). We were probably
30-40 feet above the water. There may be variation,
accounting for tides, but it still seems to be inflated
by about 500% and/or to some extent arbitrary. How
can it vary by 50% in the same spot with pictures
taken a few minutes apart? I don't know. Perhaps
different info sources? Maybe a change in cell towers
that caused variations in location?

  It might be worthwhile to check some known altitudes
and maybe check those against Google before depending
on the stats. (Though I don't know what one depends on
them for. Why does anyone care about altitude stats
except, maybe, when mountain climbing?)

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 16:51:46 +0100
In article <otpos7$1ulp$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
 "Mayayana"<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> "PeterN" <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote
>
> | I do it the easy way. I take a snap of the location with my iPhone. All
> | relevant information is recorded.
> |

>   For what it's worth, I got curious and looked at
> some photos a friend took at Mt Desert Island last
> year, on an iPhone 6. The lat/long seems to be
> very close, within yards. The altitude, however,
> is not so accurate. A photo of me looking at a rock
> on the beach recorded altitude 4.53 meters
> (14.8 feet). Another shot taken in the same
> spot (within a few feet on a nearly flat beach)
> shows 6.6 meters (21.6 feet).
> This photo...
>
> http://www.jsware.net/Files2/cliff1.jpg
>
> ...shows 58.84 meters (193 feet). We were probably
> 30-40 feet above the water. There may be variation,
> accounting for tides, but it still seems to be inflated
> by about 500% and/or to some extent arbitrary. How
> can it vary by 50% in the same spot with pictures
> taken a few minutes apart? I don't know. Perhaps
> different info sources? Maybe a change in cell towers
> that caused variations in location?
>
>   It might be worthwhile to check some known altitudes
> and maybe check those against Google before depending
> on the stats. (Though I don't know what one depends on
> them for. Why does anyone care about altitude stats
> except, maybe, when mountain climbing?)

Do your iPhone have a gyroscope? If not then it's obsolete for pinpoint
accuracy navigation!
--
teleportation kills

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 11:09:53 -0500
"android"<here@there.was> wrote

| Do your iPhone have a gyroscope? If not then it's obsolete for pinpoint
| accuracy navigation!

 Don't allow cellphones have a gyroscope if they allow
for changing orientation? And why is that needed
for altitude? I assumed the iPhone was calling some
service that uses the cell towers (or satellite?) for
the data.

   But you know more than I do. I don't use an iPhone
and can't imagine caring about altitude data for photos.
As I said, this was not my phone. It was a friend taking
pictures with an iPhone 6. Have you tested with your
own phone for altitude accuracy?

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 11:17:37 -0500
In article <otq1id$ko7$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | Do your iPhone have a gyroscope? If not then it's obsolete for pinpoint
> | accuracy navigation!
>
>  Don't allow cellphones have a gyroscope if they allow
> for changing orientation? And why is that needed
> for altitude? I assumed the iPhone was calling some
> service that uses the cell towers (or satellite?) for
> the data.

as usual, you assume wrong.

iphones have a gps, which can show altitude if it's tracking 4 or more
gps satellites, just as any gps would.

a gyro is not relevant.

>    But you know more than I do.

many people do.

>    I don't use an iPhone
> and can't imagine caring about altitude data for photos.
> As I said, this was not my phone. It was a friend taking
> pictures with an iPhone 6. Have you tested with your
> own phone for altitude accuracy?

it depends on gps reception.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 11:36:07 -0500
"nospam"<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

| iphones have a gps, which can show altitude if it's tracking 4 or more
| gps satellites, just as any gps would.

  A quick look around seems to indicate that the GPS
altitude used in cellphones is not very accurate. I
found this, that shows reasonably good results:

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/gps/gps-elevation-accuracy-test-sm...

  But those results are better than what I saw,
with a report varying by 50% in the same spot at
almost the same time.

   Google Maps seems to be accurate, to the
extent I've used it, but I've only done limited
testing. I guess it depends on how much accuracy
matters to people. I wouldn't want a photo to tell
me I was on a 200' cliff when it was really 30', but
if one only cares in the 1000' range that won't be
a problem.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 11:48:08 -0500
In article <otq33j$o72$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | iphones have a gps, which can show altitude if it's tracking 4 or more
> | gps satellites, just as any gps would.
> |

>   A quick look around seems to indicate that the GPS
> altitude used in cellphones is not very accurate.

it can be very accurate, depending on how many gps satellites are being
tracked.

recent iphones also have a barometer, as do many other smartphones,
wearables and of course, dedicated gps devices (e.g, garmin), which
increases accuracy, particularly indoors.

however, nothing is perfect. my garmin dedicated gps in my car once
told me i was 200 feet below sea level, despite being on a bridge over
a river and with at least 8 sats being tracked. it was wrong. it did
have the correct road, though.

Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 14:07:13 -0500
On 2017-11-06 11:48, nospam wrote:
> In article <otq33j$o72$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana
><mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>

>> | iphones have a gps, which can show altitude if it's tracking 4 or
>> more | gps satellites, just as any gps would. |
>>
>> A quick look around seems to indicate that the GPS altitude used in
>> cellphones is not very accurate.
>
> it can be very accurate, depending on how many gps satellites are
> being tracked.
>
> recent iphones also have a barometer, as do many other smartphones,
> wearables and of course, dedicated gps devices (e.g, garmin), which
> increases accuracy, particularly indoors.
>
> however, nothing is perfect. my garmin dedicated gps in my car once
> told me i was 200 feet below sea level, despite being on a bridge
> over a river and with at least 8 sats being tracked. it was wrong. it
> did have the correct road, though.

GPS elipsoid and the local geoid are not coincident all over.  The
difference can be quite large and correction models are not all that
accurate.

The barometer is not very useful to determine altitude above sea level
unless set to a known reference point first.  Otherwise it's pretty good
for relative changes over a short period.

Hmm, there's a thing Apple could do: have a function to ping Apple with
the position of the phone and receive the nearest QNH (or a triangle of
them to interpolate from).  Then the baro altitude could be used to
determine an accurate altitude above sea level.

From: android <here@there.was>
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 17:57:43 +0100
In article <061120171117376554%nospam@nospam.invalid>,
 nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <otq1id$ko7$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana
><mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>

> > | Do your iPhone have a gyroscope? If not then it's obsolete for pinpoint
> > | accuracy navigation!
> >
> >  Don't allow cellphones have a gyroscope if they allow
> > for changing orientation? And why is that needed
> > for altitude? I assumed the iPhone was calling some
> > service that uses the cell towers (or satellite?) for
> > the data.
>
> as usual, you assume wrong.
>
> iphones have a gps, which can show altitude if it's tracking 4 or more
> gps satellites, just as any gps would.
>
> a gyro is not relevant.

It sure is! But it could be broken or other factors of this obsolete
design called iPhone 6 could have come into play...

> >    But you know more than I do.
>
> many people do.
>
> >    I don't use an iPhone
> > and can't imagine caring about altitude data for photos.
> > As I said, this was not my phone. It was a friend taking
> > pictures with an iPhone 6. Have you tested with your
> > own phone for altitude accuracy?

My phone, an Xperia M4 don't have a gyroscope. It's about the only thing
of substance that it miss, and RAM...

> it depends on gps reception.

Youpp, and on the 58th parallel we do have another tilt on most
satellites. They are closer to the horizon, unless they are in closer to
polar orbit. The ESA Galileo system is probably more tailored to our
needs with more satellites higher on the horizon further north:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Galileo_sat_constallation.gif>

Navstar:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GPS24goldenSML.gif>

The Russian Glosnav is another good complement to Navstar and Galileo.
Android phones uses all three systems simultaneously but dedicated
system based on TomTom and Garmin seem to use Navstar exclusively and
have therefore a longer standalone startup time...

All together here:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_%28satellite_navigation%29#/me...
File:Comparison_satellite_navigation_orbits.svg>
--
teleportation kills

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 13:12:53 -0500
On 11/6/2017 8:41 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> "PeterN" <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote
>
> | I do it the easy way. I take a snap of the location with my iPhone. All
> | relevant information is recorded.
> |

>    For what it's worth, I got curious and looked at
> some photos a friend took at Mt Desert Island last
> year, on an iPhone 6. The lat/long seems to be
> very close, within yards. The altitude, however,
> is not so accurate. A photo of me looking at a rock
> on the beach recorded altitude 4.53 meters
> (14.8 feet). Another shot taken in the same
> spot (within a few feet on a nearly flat beach)
> shows 6.6 meters (21.6 feet).
> This photo...
>
> http://www.jsware.net/Files2/cliff1.jpg

I remember that area well. I like the fog you caught. Was the camera
level when you took that shot?

> ...shows 58.84 meters (193 feet). We were probably
> 30-40 feet above the water. There may be variation,
> accounting for tides, but it still seems to be inflated
> by about 500% and/or to some extent arbitrary. How
> can it vary by 50% in the same spot with pictures
> taken a few minutes apart? I don't know. Perhaps
> different info sources? Maybe a change in cell towers
> that caused variations in location?
>
>    It might be worthwhile to check some known altitudes
> and maybe check those against Google before depending
> on the stats. (Though I don't know what one depends on
> them for. Why does anyone care about altitude stats
> except, maybe, when mountain climbing?)

On my last trip there, several years ago, I was climbing down Cadillac
Mountain to catch the sunrise. My leg collapsed, I sat down and skidded,
using my tripod to give me more friction. Luckily I stopped a few yards
from the drop-off.

After I found I wasn't broken, I took this to see if the camera worked.
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxd5l6bb13low74/Sunrise%20in%20Acadia.jpg?...

--
PeterN

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 15:06:14 -0500
"PeterN" <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote

| > http://www.jsware.net/Files2/cliff1.jpg
|
| I remember that area well. I like the fog you caught. Was the camera
| level when you took that shot?

   I didn't take it. A friend did. With an iPhone 6. Those
things amaze me. They seem to do all sorts of auto-editing
internally to produce an image with great clarity and
great lighting. But the Exif data doesn't seem to mention
anything about what filters are (or are not) applied.

| On my last trip there, several years ago, I was climbing down Cadillac
| Mountain to catch the sunrise. My leg collapsed, I sat down and skidded,
| using my tripod to give me more friction. Luckily I stopped a few yards
| from the drop-off.
|
| After I found I wasn't broken, I took this to see if the camera worked.
| <https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxd5l6bb13low74/Sunrise%20in%20Acadia.jpg?...

  Very atmospheric. It looks like a Mars rover shot....
that elusive water. :)

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 15:10:58 -0500
In article <otqfdh$1ki8$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>    I didn't take it. A friend did. With an iPhone 6. Those
> things amaze me. They seem to do all sorts of auto-editing
> internally to produce an image with great clarity and
> great lighting.

they have very good cameras, which are even better in later models.

> But the Exif data doesn't seem to mention
> anything about what filters are (or are not) applied.

no filters, unless the user applies one.

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 13:39:22 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Nov 6, 2017, Mayayana wrote
(in article <otqfdh$1ki8$1@gioia.aioe.org>):

> "PeterN"<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>  wrote
>
> > > http://www.jsware.net/Files2/cliff1.jpg
> >
> > I remember that area well. I like the fog you caught. Was the camera
> > level when you took that shot?
>
> I didn't take it. A friend did. With an iPhone 6. Those
> things amaze me. They seem to do all sorts of auto-editing
> internally to produce an image with great clarity and
> great lighting. But the Exif data doesn't seem to mention
> anything about what filters are (or are not) applied.

I would say that you got that image SOOC.

The only filters applied should be those chosen by the photographer,
otherwise, if unedited, you should get the iPhone photo as shot. There are
many iOS and Android apps which such as Snapseed, VSCO, Filmborn, and others
which provide all sorts of filters.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Joe Makowiec <makowiec@invalid.invalid>
Full headers:
From: Joe Makowiec <makowiec@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 13:35:30 -0000 (UTC)
On 03 Nov 2017 in rec.photo.digital, Alfred Molon wrote:

> Caan anybody recommend an Android app which records position and
> altitude, and later you can add that data to the exif of JPEGs and
> RAWs?
>
> I'm using O.I.Share for the E-M1 II but it doesn't record the
> altitude.

GPS Essentials:

http://www.gpsessentials.com/

I still haven't figured out everything it does - which is a lot - but it
will record a track (with altitudes) which you can export as a .gpx file.
You can also save waypoints. I use it with GeoSetter (Win only) to geotag
images.

http://www.geosetter.de/en

In spite of what it looks like, geosetter is still in development. Get
the beta, as it has some recent developments which make it more useful:
www.geosetter.de/geosetter_beta.exe

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

From: Tim Watts <tw_usenet@dionic.net>
Full headers:
From: Tim Watts <tw_usenet@dionic.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 15:14:13 +0000
On 06/11/17 13:35, Joe Makowiec wrote:
> On 03 Nov 2017 in rec.photo.digital, Alfred Molon wrote:
>
>> Caan anybody recommend an Android app which records position and
>> altitude, and later you can add that data to the exif of JPEGs and
>> RAWs?
>>
>> I'm using O.I.Share for the E-M1 II but it doesn't record the
>> altitude.
>
> GPS Essentials:
>
> http://www.gpsessentials.com/
>
> I still haven't figured out everything it does - which is a lot - but it
> will record a track (with altitudes) which you can export as a .gpx file.
> You can also save waypoints. I use it with GeoSetter (Win only) to geotag
> images.
>
> http://www.geosetter.de/en
>
> In spite of what it looks like, geosetter is still in development. Get
> the beta, as it has some recent developments which make it more useful:
>
> www.geosetter.de/geosetter_beta.exe

Thank you - I'll be trying those out :)