> Prev
From: Noons <wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
Subject: Ah well...
Full headers:
From: Noons <wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 11:01:57 +1100
They were warned quite a few times that dumping on their long term users
was a BAD idea...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4726313125/nikon-will-shut-down-all-sa...

Buh-bye, Nikon.
You were once good, but...

From: Davoud <zerbatory@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Ah well...
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 19:41:06 -0800 (PST)
From: Davoud <zerbatory@gmail.com>
Noons:
> Buh-bye, Nikon.
> You were once good, but...

Are you saying that Nikon no longer builds good cameras? I find that rather to be very unlikely. So
what's the real reason for Nikon's decline?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
Full headers:
From: Noons <wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 18:58:48 +1100
On 7/11/2017 2:41 @wiz, Davoud wrote:
> Noons:
>> Buh-bye, Nikon. You were once good, but...
>
> Are you saying that Nikon no longer builds good cameras?

No.  They build the same boring old cameras that were great news 55
years ago: slrs.  The "D" in front is just for marketing.

The 850 is soooo expensive it might have been useful at another time
when folks were suckers enough to waste $$$ on the "mine has more
megapixels than yours" nonsense.
Nowadays?  No way!

And there is a little bit more about photography than just the cameras.
Lenses come to mind...

> I find that rather to be very unlikely. So what's the real reason for
Nikon's decline?

Aww, let me see...
Lack of modern products at a reasonable price, capable of keeping them
afloat while other companies sell a better product and stay on the market?

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 09:52:03 -0500
In article <otrp3r$9q9$1@dont-email.me>, Noons<wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

> >> Buh-bye, Nikon. You were once good, but...
> >
> > Are you saying that Nikon no longer builds good cameras?
>
> No.  They build the same boring old cameras that were great news 55
> years ago: slrs.  The "D" in front is just for marketing.

nonsense. the d is for digital. there weren't digital cameras 55 years
ago.

55 years ago, there was the nikon f, which was nice in its day, but
primitive compared to even the 1980s, nevermind now.

> The 850 is soooo expensive it might have been useful at another time
> when folks were suckers enough to waste $$$ on the "mine has more
> megapixels than yours" nonsense.
> Nowadays?  No way!

considering what it can do, it's cheap.

> And there is a little bit more about photography than just the cameras.
> Lenses come to mind...

nikon lenses are quite good.

> > I find that rather to be very unlikely. So what's the real reason for
> Nikon's decline?
>
> Aww, let me see...
> Lack of modern products at a reasonable price, capable of keeping them
> afloat while other companies sell a better product and stay on the market?

nonsense.

From: Noons <wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
From: Noons <wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 18:07:41 +1100
On 8/11/2017 1:52 @wiz, nospam wrote:

>> No.  They build the same boring old cameras that were great news 55
>> years ago: slrs.  The "D" in front is just for marketing.
>
> nonsense. the d is for digital. there weren't digital cameras 55 years
> ago.

But there were slrs.  And that is old news.

>> Nowadays?  No way!
>
> considering what it can do, it's cheap.

Like I said: nowadays? No way!

> nikon lenses are quite good.

when they work...

>> Aww, let me see...
>> Lack of modern products at a reasonable price, capable of keeping them
>> afloat while other companies sell a better product and stay on the market?
>
> nonsense.

Good.  Keep using their crap.
I won't.

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2017 23:49:06 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Nov 8, 2017, Noons wrote
(in article <ou0us0$98p$2@dont-email.me>):

> On 8/11/2017 1:52 @wiz, nospam wrote:
>
> > > No. They build the same boring old cameras that were great news 55
> > > years ago: slrs. The "D" in front is just for marketing.
> >
> > nonsense. the d is for digital. there weren't digital cameras 55 years
> > ago.
>
> But there were slrs. And that is old news.
>
> > > Nowadays? No way!
> >
> > considering what it can do, it's cheap.
>
> Like I said: nowadays? No way!
>
> > nikon lenses are quite good.
>
> when they work...
>
> > > Aww, let me see...
> > > Lack of modern products at a reasonable price, capable of keeping them
> > > afloat while other companies sell a better product and stay on the market?
> >
> > nonsense.
>
> Good. Keep using their crap.
> I won't.

Oh! Well! I made my move to Fujifilm 30 months ago.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 07:48:59 -0500
In article <ou0us0$98p$2@dont-email.me>, Noons<wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

> >> No.  They build the same boring old cameras that were great news 55
> >> years ago: slrs.  The "D" in front is just for marketing.
> >
> > nonsense. the d is for digital. there weren't digital cameras 55 years
> > ago.
>
> But there were slrs.  And that is old news.

slrs are very useful, with the results from today's slrs blowing away
anything from 55 years ago, including medium format.

> >> Nowadays?  No way!
> >
> > considering what it can do, it's cheap.
>
> Like I said: nowadays? No way!

yes way.

> > nikon lenses are quite good.
>
> when they work...

they work quite well, so well in fact, that someone designed an adapter
so that nikon lenses could be used on canon cameras *and* converts the
electrical signals, not just the usual metal ring that is just a mount.

> >> Aww, let me see...
> >> Lack of modern products at a reasonable price, capable of keeping them
> >> afloat while other companies sell a better product and stay on the market?
> >
> > nonsense.
>
> Good.  Keep using their crap.
> I won't.

your loss.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 12:55:46 -0500
On 11/9/2017 2:07 AM, Noons wrote:
> On 8/11/2017 1:52 @wiz, nospam wrote:
>
>>> No.  They build the same boring old cameras that were great news 55
>>> years ago: slrs.  The "D" in front is just for marketing.
>>
>> nonsense. the d is for digital. there weren't digital cameras 55 years
>> ago.
>
> But there were slrs.  And that is old news.
>

>>> Nowadays?  No way!
>>
>> considering what it can do, it's cheap.
>
> Like I said: nowadays? No way!
>

>> nikon lenses are quite good.
>
> when they work...
>

>>> Aww, let me see...
>>> Lack of modern products at a reasonable price, capable of keeping them
>>> afloat while other companies sell a better product and stay on the
>>> market?
>>
>> nonsense.
>
> Good.  Keep using their crap.
> I won't.

That's your choice. I own a bunch of Nikon lenses, some of them dating
back to about 1974. IIRC one lens I purchased was defective. It was
replaced on the spot. I recently had an issue with my D500, which is now
out of warranty. Nikon took care of the repair, at no cost. The original
reasons I went with Nikon were: at that time, they were the only ones
making a zoom lens in a range that I considered perfect for snapshots of
my kids. (43-86 f3.5, yes I know it is considered a crap lens, but it
was perfect for my use.) and the Nikon repair facility was about ten
minutes from my house.
I had tested other systems, and just didn't like the feel, or couldn't
afford them.

--
PeterN

From: android <here@there.was>
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 06:26:56 +0100
In article <otqt5l$l8u$1@dont-email.me>, Noons<wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

> They were warned quite a few times that dumping on their long term users
> was a BAD idea...
>
> https://www.dpreview.com/news/4726313125/nikon-will-shut-down-all-sa...
> ions-in-brazil-at-the-end-of-2017
>
> Buh-bye, Nikon.
> You were once good, but...

That the sales outlet provide the warranty is common practice in most
parts of the world, including the EU and there is really no need to have
outlet that cannibalizes on the local distributors market share.

Nikon will sell cameras to Brazilian outlets that will provide warranty
under Brazilian law, and Nikon will repair them.:

"The company's other business segments, including customer service and
technical assistance, will continue to operate normally in Brazil."

<https://nikonrumors.com/2017/11/06/nikon-announces-closing-of-sales-...
ations-in-brazil.aspx/>

So they close down their "company store"... Big deal!
--
teleportation kills

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 19:33:27 +1300
On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 11:01:57 +1100, Noons<wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>They were warned quite a few times that dumping on their long term users
>was a BAD idea...
>
>https://www.dpreview.com/news/4726313125/nikon-will-shut-down-all-sa...
>
>Buh-bye, Nikon.
>You were once good, but...

I don't know the details of what Nikon is doing in Brazil but I expect
a major factor in whatever they are doing is the horrendous state of
the economy and internal conditions within Brazil. See
http://www.heritage.org/index/country/brazil
  "A political crisis that, along with declines in commodity prices,
   contributed to a sharp contraction of the economy has undermined
   consumer and investor confidence. Brazil’s fiscal condition has
   been severely compromised by a combination of high inflation,
   political paralysis, and widening budget deficits that have
   elevated the burden of public debt.

   The state’s interference in the economy has been heavy. The
   efficiency and overall quality of government services remain poor
   despite high government spending. Implementation of any reform
   program has proven difficult. Barriers to entrepreneurial activity
   include burdensome taxes, inefficient regulation, poor access to
   long-term financing, and a rigid labor market. The judicial system
   remains vulnerable to corruption.

.... and look at the economic data for the last few years:
https://www.focus-economics.com/countries/brazil
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

From: Rich A <rander3127@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 17:41:31 -0800 (PST)
From: Rich A <rander3127@gmail.com>
On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 7:02:01 PM UTC-5, Noons wrote:
> They were warned quite a few times that dumping on their long term users
> was a BAD idea...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4726313125/nikon-will-shut-down-all-sa...

> Buh-bye, Nikon.
> You were once good, but...

The goal with Nikon, since they are losing customers to Canon and Sony is to maximize income from
existing uses.  There is nothing else they can do.

Next <
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 00:23:40 -0500
On 11/8/2017 8:41 PM, Rich A wrote:
> On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 7:02:01 PM UTC-5, Noons wrote:
>> They were warned quite a few times that dumping on their long term users
>> was a BAD idea...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4726313125/nikon-will-shut-down-all-sa...

>> Buh-bye, Nikon.
>> You were once good, but...
>
> The goal with Nikon, since they are losing customers to Canon and Sony is to maximize income from
existing uses.  There is nothing else they can do.

You need to take Management 101

--
PeterN