> Prev
From: Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid>
Subject: Timestamp confusion
From: Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2017 15:58:06 +0000
I'm sorting out holiday photos (JPG) and movies (MOV) from Italy in May.
Mainly from my iPhone 6S+. As I use these for making videos, I'm keen to
get their rough roughly correct. But I'm confused by some apparent
contradictions about timestamps. In an attempt to resolve these, amongst
other things I'm looking at the iPhone's EXIF data. Here's an example of
where I hit a snag:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j6luq2xtgi7paf/EXIFvGPS-1.jpg?dl=0

That 'DateTimeOriginal' of 11:28 seems reliable. Not only is it obtained
directly from the iPhone's Date/Time setting (which was correct
throughout the holiday) but a photo of a church clock the day before was
accurate within a minute or so.

But this was Italy in 'summer time'. So local Italy time should be two
hours ahead of GMT, yes? Therefore why is the GPS Timestamp 10:28
instead of 09:28?

Here's a similar issue for an MOV video clip,, using MediaInfo for my
detective work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yn8kjs3badl8ap/TimeConfusion-2.jpg?dl=0

Needless to say, I should have taken photos of my watch or iPhone screen
more often - will do so in future!

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

From: Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid>
Subject: Re: Timestamp confusion
Full headers:
From: Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 12:02:11 +0000
Terry Pinnell<me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:

>I'm sorting out holiday photos (JPG) and movies (MOV) from Italy in May.
>Mainly from my iPhone 6S+. As I use these for making videos, I'm keen to
>get their rough roughly correct. But I'm confused by some apparent
>contradictions about timestamps. In an attempt to resolve these, amongst
>other things I'm looking at the iPhone's EXIF data. Here's an example of
>where I hit a snag:
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j6luq2xtgi7paf/EXIFvGPS-1.jpg?dl=0
>
>That 'DateTimeOriginal' of 11:28 seems reliable. Not only is it obtained
>directly from the iPhone's Date/Time setting (which was correct
>throughout the holiday) but a photo of a church clock the day before was
>accurate within a minute or so.
>
>But this was Italy in 'summer time'. So local Italy time should be two
>hours ahead of GMT, yes? Therefore why is the GPS Timestamp 10:28
>instead of 09:28?
>
>Here's a similar issue for an MOV video clip,, using MediaInfo for my
>detective work:
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yn8kjs3badl8ap/TimeConfusion-2.jpg?dl=0
>
>Needless to say, I should have taken photos of my watch or iPhone screen
>more often - will do so in future!
>
>Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Alternatively, does anyone have any photos taken in 'summer' time on an
iPhone in a time zone ahead of UK, such as mainland Europe etc? If so,
can you advise what these two EXIF fields say please?
Date TimeOriginal
GPS Date Timestamp

That might help me fathom why my iPhone shows these as only differing by
one hour instead of two. My wife's Sony Xperia (Android OS) does show
two.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 12:24:56 -0500
On 11/9/2017 7:02 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
> Terry Pinnell<me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I'm sorting out holiday photos (JPG) and movies (MOV) from Italy in May.
>> Mainly from my iPhone 6S+. As I use these for making videos, I'm keen to
>> get their rough roughly correct. But I'm confused by some apparent
>> contradictions about timestamps. In an attempt to resolve these, amongst
>> other things I'm looking at the iPhone's EXIF data. Here's an example of
>> where I hit a snag:
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j6luq2xtgi7paf/EXIFvGPS-1.jpg?dl=0
>>
>> That 'DateTimeOriginal' of 11:28 seems reliable. Not only is it obtained
>> directly from the iPhone's Date/Time setting (which was correct
>> throughout the holiday) but a photo of a church clock the day before was
>> accurate within a minute or so.
>>
>> But this was Italy in 'summer time'. So local Italy time should be two
>> hours ahead of GMT, yes? Therefore why is the GPS Timestamp 10:28
>> instead of 09:28?
>>
>> Here's a similar issue for an MOV video clip,, using MediaInfo for my
>> detective work:
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yn8kjs3badl8ap/TimeConfusion-2.jpg?dl=0
>>
>> Needless to say, I should have taken photos of my watch or iPhone screen
>> more often - will do so in future!
>>
>> Terry, East Grinstead, UK
>
> Alternatively, does anyone have any photos taken in 'summer' time on an
> iPhone in a time zone ahead of UK, such as mainland Europe etc? If so,
> can you advise what these two EXIF fields say please?
> Date TimeOriginal
> GPS Date Timestamp
>
> That might help me fathom why my iPhone shows these as only differing by
> one hour instead of two. My wife's Sony Xperia (Android OS) does show
> two.
>
> Terry, East Grinstead, UK

If you contact Apple support, or go to an Apple store they will give you
the answer. I found Apple support to be helpful. Yes I do pay for it.
Before I had Apple Care, I had an issue on my iPhone that the folks at
an Apple store were only to glad to help me with.

--
PeterN

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 12:44:50 -0500
In article<ou231a02r87@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

> > Alternatively, does anyone have any photos taken in 'summer' time on an
> > iPhone in a time zone ahead of UK, such as mainland Europe etc? If so,
> > can you advise what these two EXIF fields say please?
> > Date TimeOriginal
> > GPS Date Timestamp
> >
> > That might help me fathom why my iPhone shows these as only differing by
> > one hour instead of two. My wife's Sony Xperia (Android OS) does show
> > two.
> >
> > Terry, East Grinstead, UK
> >

> If you contact Apple support, or go to an Apple store they will give you
> the answer. I found Apple support to be helpful. Yes I do pay for it.
> Before I had Apple Care, I had an issue on my iPhone that the folks at
> an Apple store were only to glad to help me with.

there is no need to pay for applecare to get help at an apple store,
whether or not the product is under warranty or applecare. they'll even
help with getting an iphone or ipad to work with a pc laptop.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 13:14:53 -0500
On 11/9/2017 12:44 PM, nospam wrote:
> In article<ou231a02r87@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN
> <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:
>

>>> Alternatively, does anyone have any photos taken in 'summer' time on an
>>> iPhone in a time zone ahead of UK, such as mainland Europe etc? If so,
>>> can you advise what these two EXIF fields say please?
>>> Date TimeOriginal
>>> GPS Date Timestamp
>>>
>>> That might help me fathom why my iPhone shows these as only differing by
>>> one hour instead of two. My wife's Sony Xperia (Android OS) does show
>>> two.
>>>
>>> Terry, East Grinstead, UK
>>>

>> If you contact Apple support, or go to an Apple store they will give you
>> the answer. I found Apple support to be helpful. Yes I do pay for it.
>> Before I had Apple Care, I had an issue on my iPhone that the folks at
>> an Apple store were only to glad to help me with.
>
> there is no need to pay for applecare to get help at an apple store,
> whether or not the product is under warranty or applecare. they'll even
> help with getting an iphone or ipad to work with a pc laptop.

That is not the point. the OP had a problem, and I gave him what I
consider to be a valid solution. There is no need to start an argument.

--
PeterN

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 13:25:22 -0500
In article<ou25uv02t6j@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN

> >> If you contact Apple support, or go to an Apple store they will give you
> >> the answer. I found Apple support to be helpful. Yes I do pay for it.
> >> Before I had Apple Care, I had an issue on my iPhone that the folks at
> >> an Apple store were only to glad to help me with.
> >
> > there is no need to pay for applecare to get help at an apple store,
> > whether or not the product is under warranty or applecare. they'll even
> > help with getting an iphone or ipad to work with a pc laptop.
> >

> That is not the point. the OP had a problem, and I gave him what I
> consider to be a valid solution. There is no need to start an argument.

i'm not starting an argument. i'm clarifying that one need not pay
anything to go to an apple store with a question and they'll help, for
free.

hardware repairs, however, may incur a fee if the product is out of
warranty (although sometimes even that is free).

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 02:14:19 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Thursday, 9 November 2017 18:15:38 UTC, PeterN  wrote:
> On 11/9/2017 12:44 PM, nospam wrote:

> >> If you contact Apple support, or go to an Apple store they will give you
> >> the answer. I found Apple support to be helpful. Yes I do pay for it.
> >> Before I had Apple Care, I had an issue on my iPhone that the folks at
> >> an Apple store were only to glad to help me with.
> >
> > there is no need to pay for applecare to get help at an apple store,
> > whether or not the product is under warranty or applecare. they'll even
> > help with getting an iphone or ipad to work with a pc laptop.
> >

> That is not the point. the OP had a problem, and I gave him what I
> consider to be a valid solution. There is no need to start an argument.

But what you said wasn't stricty correct.

> If you contact Apple support, or go to an Apple store they will give you
> the answer. I found Apple support to be helpful. Yes I do pay for it.

YOU DO NOT have to pay for apple support within the 1st year at least.
If you have applecare you get 3 years support.
But even when you don't have applecare and the product is out of warrenty sometime Apple will still
support it.

So while this might be a small point, it's still important to get it right.

Bcause it might give the impression that if you have a problem such as not knowing why the time
isn't what you expect it to be you can always go into an applestore and ask, you are NOT expected to
pay a fee on the door or at the counter.

Of course you could do it on-line.

https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=psp&PRKEYS=PL133
No where are you asked to pay for this type of support.

I've never used the support but I do know people that have used both apple support,  and MS support.
MS  via their premium line which cost one person I know of £400 and about a months phone calls and
still didn't get his wireless keyboard working with vista on his new laptop.

> --
> PeterN

Next <
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 08:18:38 -0500
In article<08c2473b-38fd-4c7b-b18e-a6e0bb6fffe5@googlegroups.com>,
Whisky-dave<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > there is no need to pay for applecare to get help at an apple store,
> > > whether or not the product is under warranty or applecare. they'll even
> > > help with getting an iphone or ipad to work with a pc laptop.
> > >

> > That is not the point. the OP had a problem, and I gave him what I
> > consider to be a valid solution. There is no need to start an argument.
>
> But what you said wasn't stricty correct.

it was mostly incorrect.

> > If you contact Apple support, or go to an Apple store they will give you
> > the answer. I found Apple support to be helpful. Yes I do pay for it.
>
> YOU DO NOT have to pay for apple support within the 1st year at least.
> If you have applecare you get 3 years support.
> But even when you don't have applecare and the product is out of warrenty
> sometime Apple will still support it.

that is not strictly correct either.

getting support at an apple store is free, regardless of warranty
status or applecare coverage and in some cases, may involve non-apple
products (e.g., how do i sync my ipod with my pc laptop).

however, if the solution requires a hardware repair and the product is
out of warranty or it's user damage, there will *probably* be a cost,
but in some cases, they may waive that.

for example, i know someone who bought a new iphone and dropped it a
couple of days later, shattering the front glass. he went to the apple
store. told them exactly what happened, that he dropped the phone and
was entirely at fault, and asked how much it would cost to fix, fully
expecting to pay for it. they replaced it with a new iphone, for free.

> So while this might be a small point, it's still important to get it right.

it's always important to get it right.

> Bcause it might give the impression that if you have a problem such as not
> knowing why the time isn't what you expect it to be you can always go into an
> applestore and ask, you are NOT expected to pay a fee on the door or at the
> counter.

correct.