> Prev
Subject: Jupiter photos
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.invalid>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 09:23:29 +0000
"Traveling above Jupiter at more than 130,000 miles per hour, NASA's $1
billion Juno probe took its ninth set of stunning flyby images on
October 24. But the sun slipped between the giant planet and Earth for
more than a week, blocking the spacecraft from beaming home its precious
bounty of data.

Now that the conjunction is over, however, new raw image data from
Juno's ninth perijove — as the spacecraft's high-speed flybys are called
— has poured in. Researchers posted it all online on Tuesday, and a
community of amateurs and professionals has been busily processing the
data to yield colorful and stunning new pictures of Jupiter."

http://www.sci-techuniverse.com/2017/11/nasas-1-billion-jupiter-pro...

Fascinating images. Enjoy! :-)

--
David B.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: Jupiter photos
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 09:19:09 -0500
"David B."<DavidB@nomail.afraid.invalid> wrote

http://www.sci-techuniverse.com/2017/11/nasas-1-billion-jupiter-pro...

| Fascinating images.

  Except that the colors are made-up, so what
you're really seeing is sci-fi fantasy. On the
bright side, NASA images are public domain
by law.

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 07:58:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Thursday, 9 November 2017 14:20:16 UTC, Mayayana  wrote:
> "David B."<DavidB@nomail.afraid.invalid> wrote
>

> http://www.sci-techuniverse.com/2017/11/nasas-1-billion-jupiter-pro...
> |
> | Fascinating images.
>
>   Except that the colors are made-up,

all colours are made up, it;s what our eye does, colours don;t really exist.
But I do no what you mean the colours are used to sperate things that are going on making them
easier to see. A bit less crude than a highlight pen :-)

>so what
> you're really seeing is sci-fi fantasy.

Not really it's being  able to see more wavelenghs or more information than the human eye could
actually see.

Itls a bit likke claiming that bats don;t fly at night because you can;t see them in the dark, in
ordee to see how they fly yuo could use infra-red light with an infra-red sensative camera, you'd
see bats flying but not their correct colour.

It;s a bit like teh link below we can;t see carbon dioxide in the air but colouring it makes it
easier to see and understand,

So as long as you appreciate this there shouldn't be a problem.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 14:10:28 -0500
"Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote

| >   Except that the colors are made-up,
|
| Itls a bit likke claiming that bats don;t fly at night because you can;t
see them in the dark,

  No. It's a bit like saying people are coloring in
B/W photos willy nilly.

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 02:21:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Thursday, 9 November 2017 19:11:34 UTC, Mayayana  wrote:
> "Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote
>
> | >   Except that the colors are made-up,
> |
> | Itls a bit likke claiming that bats don;t fly at night because you can;t
> see them in the dark,
>
>   No. It's a bit like saying people are coloring in
> B/W photos willy nilly.

It;s not willy nilly when they have the information that tells you what the colours mean. It's like
staining cells in biology at school there's a reason for doing it and it's not for artistic
perception of reality.

you might as well say our eyes colour in willy nilly as not everyone sees the exact same colour(s).

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 09:26:58 -0500
"Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote

| It;s not willy nilly when they have the information that tells you what
the colours mean. It's like staining cells in biology at school there's a
reason for doing it and it's not for artistic perception of reality.

  Take a look here:

https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing

  They invite you to download photos and upload your
own version. Some are more subtle. Some are wild.
Where do you draw the line? It's a scientific photo if it's
tastefully done and it's an art project if it looks like a
Peter Max poster? Both are made up. It's basically
a 6th-grade art project.

  Staining a slide is done to increase the visibility of
structures. In that scenario the color itself is not
relevant and one knows that it's not accurate. Colorizing
NASA photos is done to make them look more interesting
aesthetically and spark the imagination. Entertaining
space fantasies might help to increase public support
of NASA.

"Junocam is on the spacecraft explicitly to reach out to the public and
share the excitement of space exploration."

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11214-014-0079-x

  NASA are trying to increase interest by making
it all look more intriguing. As someone interested in
science I find that misleading and devaluing. I can
see how many people might think it's simply fun,
like an artist's rendering of how they imagine trceratops
might have been adorned with war paint-like stripes.
But they should make it clear that these are doctored
photos with made-up colors. That's all I'm saying.
Separate the science from the entertainment. It's
not as though we need an artist's rendering. The whole
point is that they have actual photos of the planet.

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 08:14:28 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Friday, 10 November 2017 14:28:09 UTC, Mayayana  wrote:
> "Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote
>
> | It;s not willy nilly when they have the information that tells you what
> the colours mean. It's like staining cells in biology at school there's a
> reason for doing it and it's not for artistic perception of reality.
> |

>   Take a look here:
>
> https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing
>
>   They invite you to download photos and upload your
> own version. Some are more subtle. Some are wild.

yes I've been tempted to do such a thing and upload a picture of Elvis hidding in the clouds and
waving.

> Where do you draw the line?

Why would you draw a line we don't with most photos.

>It's a scientific photo if it's
> tastefully done and it's an art project if it looks like a
> Peter Max poster? Both are made up. It's basically
> a 6th-grade art project.

So, NASA makes the images availble for people.
If someone adds a bowler hat to a picture of jupitor  so what.
Scientists want believe that jupitor has suddnly decided to wear a bowler hat it might confuse or
trick you, but that isn;lt NASAs fault is it.

>   Staining a slide is done to increase the visibility of
> structures. In that scenario the color itself is not
> relevant and one knows that it's not accurate.

ell I know the same about pictures of juipitor and other objects.
I know that if I want to understand what the picture means I have to do more than just look at it, I
must read the description and details supplied.

> Colorizing
> NASA photos is done to make them look more interesting
> aesthetically and spark the imagination. Entertaining
> space fantasies might help to increase public support
> of NASA.

That will help I guess and the pictures from hubble are composite images so peole can see wavelenghs
of light the human eye can't see.
Typically when a nebula is shown in blue that is the gas clouds which while the the human eye can't
see, it's only invisible to the human eye thiose gas clouds do exist. Using technology that only
records a tiny fraction of teh light emitted IS a fake picture of the object as yuo're only seeing
the visable light.

This is why we need sun glasses too, just because you can only see the visiable light that doesnl;t
mean that no other radiation  is being emitted.
I;t syou that;s seeing a fake picture because of relative poor eyesight, I know because I have a
friend that can't see the colour red so for him a sunset is quite differnt to what I see.

> "Junocam is on the spacecraft explicitly to reach out to the public and
> share the excitement of space exploration."
>
> https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11214-014-0079-x
>
>   NASA are trying to increase interest by making
> it all look more intriguing.

if they wanted to do that they'd show alien pyrimds on mars more than they do.

> As someone interested in
> science I find that misleading and devaluing.

What I find worse are artists impressions but sometimes these are required to make things clear.

> I can
> see how many people might think it's simply fun,

for some it is, just like believe in zombies or jesus.
Pleanty of picture of jesus despite few if any being drawn by anyone that saw him.

> like an artist's rendering of how they imagine trceratops
> might have been adorned with war paint-like stripes.
> But they should make it clear that these are doctored
> photos with made-up colors. That's all I'm saying.

I think NASA do, but maybe they expect those viweing them to read the captions too.

> Separate the science from the entertainment. It's
> not as though we need an artist's rendering. The whole
> point is that they have actual photos of the planet.

Yes but we can;t move earth above the red spot to compare sizes so we need either a fake photo as
you put it or an artosist impression or a rather dry statment using miles or KMs or perhaps you'd
prefer AUs

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 09:31:30 +1300
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 07:58:15 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, 9 November 2017 14:20:16 UTC, Mayayana  wrote:
>> "David B."<DavidB@nomail.afraid.invalid> wrote
>>

>> http://www.sci-techuniverse.com/2017/11/nasas-1-billion-jupiter-pro...
>> |
>> | Fascinating images.
>>
>>   Except that the colors are made-up,
>
>all colours are made up, it;s what our eye does, colours don;t really exist.
>But I do no what you mean the colours are used to sperate things that are going on making them
easier to see. A bit less crude than a highlight pen :-)

>>so what
>> you're really seeing is sci-fi fantasy.
>
>Not really it's being  able to see more wavelenghs or more information than the human eye could
actually see.

>Itls a bit likke claiming that bats don;t fly at night because you can;t see them in the dark, in
ordee to see how they fly yuo could use infra-red light with an infra-red sensative camera, you'd
see bats flying but not their correct colour.

>It;s a bit like teh link below we can;t see carbon dioxide in the air but colouring it makes it
easier to see and understand,

>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41604760
>
>So as long as you appreciate this there shouldn't be a problem.

Except that is not any sort of a photographic image. Its a computer
generated diagram based on observational data.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 02:22:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Thursday, 9 November 2017 20:31:31 UTC, Eric Stevens  wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 07:58:15 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
><whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, 9 November 2017 14:20:16 UTC, Mayayana  wrote:
> >> "David B."<DavidB@nomail.afraid.invalid> wrote
> >>

> >> http://www.sci-techuniverse.com/2017/11/nasas-1-billion-jupiter-pro...

> >>   Except that the colors are made-up,
> >
> >all colours are made up, it;s what our eye does, colours don;t really exist.
> >But I do no what you mean the colours are used to sperate things that are going on making them
easier to see. A bit less crude than a highlight pen :-)

> >>so what
> >> you're really seeing is sci-fi fantasy.
> >
> >Not really it's being  able to see more wavelenghs or more information than the human eye could
actually see.

> >Itls a bit likke claiming that bats don;t fly at night because you can;t see them in the dark, in
ordee to see how they fly yuo could use infra-red light with an infra-red sensative camera, you'd
see bats flying but not their correct colour.

> >It;s a bit like teh link below we can;t see carbon dioxide in the air but colouring it makes it
easier to see and understand,

> >http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41604760
> >
> >So as long as you appreciate this there shouldn't be a problem.
> >
> Except that is not any sort of a photographic image. Its a computer
> generated diagram based on observational data.

No one said it was a photographic image, perhaps you assumed it was because you viewed it using your
eyes.

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:54:36 +1300
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 02:22:58 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, 9 November 2017 20:31:31 UTC, Eric Stevens  wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 07:58:15 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
>><whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >all colours are made up, it;s what our eye does, colours don;t really exist.
>> >But I do no what you mean the colours are used to sperate things that are going on making them
easier to see. A bit less crude than a highlight pen :-)

>> >Not really it's being  able to see more wavelenghs or more information than the human eye could
actually see.

>> >Itls a bit likke claiming that bats don;t fly at night because you can;t see them in the dark,
in ordee to see how they fly yuo could use infra-red light with an infra-red sensative camera, you'd
see bats flying but not their correct colour.

>> >It;s a bit like teh link below we can;t see carbon dioxide in the air but colouring it makes it
easier to see and understand,

>> >http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41604760
>> >
>> >So as long as you appreciate this there shouldn't be a problem.
>> >
>> Except that is not any sort of a photographic image. Its a computer
>> generated diagram based on observational data.
>
>No one said it was a photographic image, perhaps you assumed it was because you viewed it using
your eyes.

We were discussing photographic images and then, suddenly, without
warning you popped up a computer generated diagram.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 02:46:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Friday, 10 November 2017 21:54:43 UTC, Eric Stevens  wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 02:22:58 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
><whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, 9 November 2017 20:31:31 UTC, Eric Stevens  wrote:

easier to see. A bit less crude than a highlight pen :-)

in ordee to see how they fly yuo could use infra-red light with an infra-red sensative camera, you'd
see bats flying but not their correct colour.

it easier to see and understand,

> >> Except that is not any sort of a photographic image. Its a computer
> >> generated diagram based on observational data.
> >
> >No one said it was a photographic image, perhaps you assumed it was because you viewed it using
your eyes.

> We were discussing photographic images and then, suddenly, without
> warning you popped up a computer generated diagram.

No you said because the colours are made up.
Every single colour you see is made up becvause colours don;t really exist all we have is light of
differnt wavelenghs human yes and animals takes thes wavelenghts and the chemical and sensory
reactions that take place make us see colours.

Prhaps it;s also easier to explain with sound if a car is coming towards you and then the same car
at the same speed is going away from you it sounds diffent but the car is making exactly the same
sound irespective of what yuo sense and it's the same with light, mosty common is red shift which
deosn;t mean the star or whatever has changed colour just that our perception of colour depends on
wavelengh of light coming from it.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 09:04:07 -0500
"Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote

Every single colour you see is made up becvause colours don;t really exist
all we have is light of differnt wavelenghs human yes and animals takes thes
wavelenghts and the chemical and sensory reactions that take place make us
see colours.

   What you're saying is not wrong but you're losing
track of context, so that your argument becomes
just endless devil's advocate to no purpose.

  Light reflecting off Jupiter has wavelengths. Those
correspond to colors. You can argue about whether
a color is magenta or crimson and you can argue about
whether colors have true existence. You can argue about
whether a tree in the woods has dark brown bark if no
one is there to look at it. But the issue is much simpler
than that: People are colorizing the Jupiter photos willy
nilly and the public is not clearly informed of that. The
motive for colorizing is to make the images look more
interesting to the public. They're mixing marketing with
science. The NASA marketers clearly think that colors
exist. :)

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 16:30:18 +0100
In article <ouc8ql$1ek5$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
 "Mayayana"<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> "Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote

[---]

>    What you're saying is not wrong but you're losing
> track of context, so that your argument becomes
> just endless devil's advocate to no purpose.

Oki...
--
teleportation kills

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 07:52:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Monday, 13 November 2017 14:05:20 UTC, Mayayana  wrote:
> "Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote
>

> Every single colour you see is made up becvause colours don;t really exist
> all we have is light of differnt wavelenghs human yes and animals takes thes
> wavelenghts and the chemical and sensory reactions that take place make us
> see colours.
> >

>    What you're saying is not wrong but you're losing
> track of context, so that your argument becomes
> just endless devil's advocate to no purpose.

No it's a fact.

>   Light reflecting off Jupiter has wavelengths. Those
> correspond to colors.

For human eyes but ome humans see colours differently.

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/explaining-perceptions-dress/

>You can argue about whether
> a color is magenta or crimson and you can argue about
> whether colors have true existence. You can argue about
> whether a tree in the woods has dark brown bark if no
> one is there to look at it. But the issue is much simpler
> than that: People are colorizing the Jupiter photos willy
> nilly and the public is not clearly informed of that.

Who cares ?

> The
> motive for colorizing is to make the images look more
> interesting to the public.

Isn't that the same for the majority of photographs other than snap shots.

Did you not know that the object a long way away that looks out of focus ins't really all fuzzy it's
just that your eye is faulty.

>They're mixing marketing with
> science. The NASA marketers clearly think that colors
> exist. :)

No they aren't,  scientists aren't looking at those pictures in the same way as the colourisors do.
And who are these marketers anyway ?
 Do you realy think that when there's an eclipse of teh earth the moon really turns red, it doesn;t
you know the material that the moon is made up of doesn't change colour during the eclipse it's an
illusion.

Do yuo really think the moon is now the same colour as Mars ?

Here's my evidence wheres yours

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/albums/72157659160438796

your eye and brain will also think the moon is larger when closer to the horizon it isn't.

When a star is heading away from us it can have red shift which means it's redder than it actually
is.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 10:54:48 -0500
On 11/13/2017 9:04 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> "Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote
>

> Every single colour you see is made up becvause colours don;t really exist
> all we have is light of differnt wavelenghs human yes and animals takes thes
> wavelenghts and the chemical and sensory reactions that take place make us
> see colours.
>>

>     What you're saying is not wrong but you're losing
> track of context, so that your argument becomes
> just endless devil's advocate to no purpose.
>
>    Light reflecting off Jupiter has wavelengths. Those
> correspond to colors. You can argue about whether
> a color is magenta or crimson and you can argue about
> whether colors have true existence. You can argue about
> whether a tree in the woods has dark brown bark if no
> one is there to look at it. But the issue is much simpler
> than that: People are colorizing the Jupiter photos willy
> nilly and the public is not clearly informed of that. The
> motive for colorizing is to make the images look more
> interesting to the public. They're mixing marketing with
> science. The NASA marketers clearly think that colors
> exist. :)

Nope. They want those who fund them to think color.

--
PeterN

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 02:36:31 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Monday, 13 November 2017 15:55:42 UTC, PeterN  wrote:
> On 11/13/2017 9:04 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> > "Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote
> >

> > Every single colour you see is made up becvause colours don;t really exist
> > all we have is light of differnt wavelenghs human yes and animals takes thes
> > wavelenghts and the chemical and sensory reactions that take place make us
> > see colours.
> >>

> >     What you're saying is not wrong but you're losing
> > track of context, so that your argument becomes
> > just endless devil's advocate to no purpose.
> >
> >    Light reflecting off Jupiter has wavelengths. Those
> > correspond to colors. You can argue about whether
> > a color is magenta or crimson and you can argue about
> > whether colors have true existence. You can argue about
> > whether a tree in the woods has dark brown bark if no
> > one is there to look at it. But the issue is much simpler
> > than that: People are colorizing the Jupiter photos willy
> > nilly and the public is not clearly informed of that. The
> > motive for colorizing is to make the images look more
> > interesting to the public. They're mixing marketing with
> > science. The NASA marketers clearly think that colors
> > exist. :)
> >
> Nope. They want those who fund them to think color.
>

> --
> PeterN

What do you think of this image then ?

A colourful moon.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap171111.html

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 09:59:52 -0500
References: <l8VMB.233452$mj4.3561@fx29.fr7> <ou1o6q$1cf9$1@gioia.aioe.org> <7ae68bab-bf79-4535-b3b7-76db3f702088@googlegroups.com> <nhe90dp749usqd54re6e0b2fj98v3fp6qp@4ax.com> <db3cf4eb-28bd-42ef-97a9-e3f1b2622ef3@googlegroups.com> <9u7c0d5u7jk87j5cfrehag276otd4pcq4m@4ax.com> <72bf9559-8882-4df3-a2e7-324e53ea3b28@googlegroups.com> <ouc8ql$1ek5$1@gioia.aioe.org> <oucfgs02qn4@news6.newsguy.com> <b21c09e6-df6c-430a-a2db-b39fd3e09d8d@googlegroups.com>
"Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote

| What do you think of this image then ?
|
| A colourful moon.
|
| https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap171111.html

   I'd say a NASA wiseguy took a shot of onyx tile
in his bathroom.

  This reminds me of Oliver Stone movies and
the increasing trend toward "vaguely based on
fact". True stories are interesting because
they're true. On the one hand we could say
that truth is in the eye of the beholder. To
some extent that's accurate. But there is also
valid objective truth on a relative level. I
never went to see Stone's Nixon and generally
don't watch any of his movies because they're
lies in the service of marketing. He feels he has
the right to exploit the "based on fact" angle while
at the same time making up his own facts. It
doesn't work that way. His work distorts history.

  Your link to the moon photo is interesting in
that it has a purpose. As explianed, it's really
more a chart of mineral deposits than a photo.
They make that clear. But if they pull an Oliver
Stone and say this is the real moon then it's
misleading (that is, lies) for the sake of
entertainment.

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 19:38:12 +0100
References: <l8VMB.233452$mj4.3561@fx29.fr7> <ou1o6q$1cf9$1@gioia.aioe.org> <7ae68bab-bf79-4535-b3b7-76db3f702088@googlegroups.com> <nhe90dp749usqd54re6e0b2fj98v3fp6qp@4ax.com> <db3cf4eb-28bd-42ef-97a9-e3f1b2622ef3@googlegroups.com> <9u7c0d5u7jk87j5cfrehag276otd4pcq4m@4ax.com> <72bf9559-8882-4df3-a2e7-324e53ea3b28@googlegroups.com> <ouc8ql$1ek5$1@gioia.aioe.org> <oucfgs02qn4@news6.newsguy.com> <b21c09e6-df6c-430a-a2db-b39fd3e09d8d@googlegroups.com> <ouhkr6$n0t$1@gioia.aioe.org>
In article <ouhkr6$n0t$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
 "Mayayana"<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>    I'd say a NASA wiseguy took a shot of onyx tile
> in his bathroom.

I enjoyed 2001 last night. I fast forwarded 2010 today... Ain't tapes
great!
--
teleportation kills

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 02:07:40 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Wednesday, 15 November 2017 18:38:17 UTC, android  wrote:
> In article <ouhkr6$n0t$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
>  "Mayayana"<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>
> >    I'd say a NASA wiseguy took a shot of onyx tile
> > in his bathroom.
>
> I enjoyed 2001 last night. I fast forwarded 2010 today... Ain't tapes
> great!

When I saw 2001 at the cinema when it came out apart from falling asleep I'm sure I remmebr most of
the interbnal shots were out of focus or blurred as we we loking through a space helmet, same thing
the second time I saw it years laster, recently it was on TV and it seemd much clearer and I'm
pretty sure it wasn't because I now have an HD TV. So I;m not sure what has happened faulty memory
or have the done something to the original that's fare more than tweeking colours  and sharpness for
'digital' transmission.

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 12:16:48 +0100
References: <l8VMB.233452$mj4.3561@fx29.fr7> <ou1o6q$1cf9$1@gioia.aioe.org> <7ae68bab-bf79-4535-b3b7-76db3f702088@googlegroups.com> <nhe90dp749usqd54re6e0b2fj98v3fp6qp@4ax.com> <db3cf4eb-28bd-42ef-97a9-e3f1b2622ef3@googlegroups.com> <9u7c0d5u7jk87j5cfrehag276otd4pcq4m@4ax.com> <72bf9559-8882-4df3-a2e7-324e53ea3b28@googlegroups.com> <ouc8ql$1ek5$1@gioia.aioe.org> <oucfgs02qn4@news6.newsguy.com> <b21c09e6-df6c-430a-a2db-b39fd3e09d8d@googlegroups.com> <ouhkr6$n0t$1@gioia.aioe.org> <here-AA7C65.19381215112017@news.individual.net> <e1649c72-cbb1-4c43-8496-df04c5a3b45d@googlegroups.com>
In article<e1649c72-cbb1-4c43-8496-df04c5a3b45d@googlegroups.com>,
 Whisky-dave<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 15 November 2017 18:38:17 UTC, android  wrote:
> > In article <ouhkr6$n0t$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> >  "Mayayana"<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> >
> > >    I'd say a NASA wiseguy took a shot of onyx tile
> > > in his bathroom.
> >
> > I enjoyed 2001 last night. I fast forwarded 2010 today... Ain't tapes
> > great!

I should have said  re enjoyed since I've saw it in a theater once upon
a time and then on the telly. I later taped a rerun of it and 2010...

> When I saw 2001 at the cinema when it came out apart from falling asleep I'm
> sure I remmebr most of the interbnal shots were out of focus or blurred as we
> we loking through a space helmet, same thing the second time I saw it years
> laster, recently it was on TV and it seemd much clearer and I'm pretty sure
> it wasn't because I now have an HD TV. So I;m not sure what has happened
> faulty memory or have the done something to the original that's fare more
> than tweeking colours  and sharpness for 'digital' transmission.

There you go. Just say nooo to drugs... Even beer can interfere with
your out of body experiences!
--
teleportation kills

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 09:04:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Thursday, 16 November 2017 11:16:56 UTC, android  wrote:
> In article<e1649c72-cbb1-4c43-8496-df04c5a3b45d@googlegroups.com>,
>  Whisky-dave<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, 15 November 2017 18:38:17 UTC, android  wrote:

> > > I enjoyed 2001 last night. I fast forwarded 2010 today... Ain't tapes
> > > great!
>
> I should have said  re enjoyed since I've saw it in a theater once upon
> a time and then on the telly. I later taped a rerun of it and 2010...

I too taped it but never got around to watching the taped version.

> > When I saw 2001 at the cinema when it came out apart from falling asleep I'm
> > sure I remmebr most of the interbnal shots were out of focus or blurred as we
> > we loking through a space helmet, same thing the second time I saw it years
> > laster, recently it was on TV and it seemd much clearer and I'm pretty sure
> > it wasn't because I now have an HD TV. So I;m not sure what has happened
> > faulty memory or have the done something to the original that's fare more
> > than tweeking colours  and sharpness for 'digital' transmission.
>
> There you go. Just say nooo to drugs...

I was under 10 when it came out, and as now living in the UK.
 Maybe you aren't observant enough to see what changes were made.

Stanley Kubrick’s spectacular, transcendent epic has been the touchstone for all science-fiction
cinema since its original 1968 release. This landmark film will return to cinema screens across the
UK on 28 November when the BFI, as part of its 2014 Science Fiction blockbuster project, releases a
magnificent digital transfer from Warner Bros.

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 02:03:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Wednesday, 15 November 2017 15:01:05 UTC, Mayayana  wrote:
> "Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote
>
> | What do you think of this image then ?
> |
> | A colourful moon.
> |
> | https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap171111.html
> |

>    I'd say a NASA wiseguy took a shot of onyx tile
> in his bathroom.
>
>   This reminds me of Oliver Stone movies and
> the increasing trend toward "vaguely based on
> fact". True stories are interesting because
> they're true. On the one hand we could say
> that truth is in the eye of the beholder. To
> some extent that's accurate. But there is also
> valid objective truth on a relative level. I
> never went to see Stone's Nixon and generally
> don't watch any of his movies because they're
> lies in the service of marketing. He feels he has
> the right to exploit the "based on fact" angle while
> at the same time making up his own facts. It
> doesn't work that way. His work distorts history.
>
>   Your link to the moon photo is interesting in
> that it has a purpose. As explianed,

But only if you read it.

> it's really
> more a chart of mineral deposits than a photo.

But those colours are real it's just that our eyes are so poor that we can't see the colour, we all
pretty much see the moon as shades of grey.

When some of us small wine we smell wine other smells herbs spices and whatever else might go into
it.
Even when I drunk whisky I either like it or I don't I can't taste peat or marsh detect the type of
water used or the type of barrel it was stored in, similar with blends of tea or even steaks, but
just because my senses aren't tuned to such doesn't make the fact that someome else can a lie.

Most opf us that take a photo can zoom in to a detail that we can;t normally see with the naked eye,
that doesnlt make the picture of a flys compound eye a lie or pictures of dust mites some SCI-Fi
fantasy monster.

> They make that clear. But if they pull an Oliver
> Stone and say this is the real moon.

well it is the real moon is not a blow up doll.

> then it's
> misleading (that is, lies) for the sake of
> entertainment.

But that is the real moon, the real moon isn't made up of just grey dust and dirt all of which is
shades of grey. If my friend watches star trek he doesn't see people in red shits getting killed
like I do as he;s coloured blind in the red section, so what colour are those shirts ?.

As for films it's bit differnt from a documentary  films are entertainment.

The vast majority of american wars films are fiction even the ones 'based' on fact seemd to be more
fictional than fact, but they are enjoyable.

 Now for the aliens in peru, not the mummyfied ones but the live ones, what happened to them and did
they taste nice ;-)

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 08:37:17 -0500
References: <l8VMB.233452$mj4.3561@fx29.fr7> <ou1o6q$1cf9$1@gioia.aioe.org> <7ae68bab-bf79-4535-b3b7-76db3f702088@googlegroups.com> <nhe90dp749usqd54re6e0b2fj98v3fp6qp@4ax.com> <db3cf4eb-28bd-42ef-97a9-e3f1b2622ef3@googlegroups.com> <9u7c0d5u7jk87j5cfrehag276otd4pcq4m@4ax.com> <72bf9559-8882-4df3-a2e7-324e53ea3b28@googlegroups.com> <ouc8ql$1ek5$1@gioia.aioe.org> <oucfgs02qn4@news6.newsguy.com> <b21c09e6-df6c-430a-a2db-b39fd3e09d8d@googlegroups.com> <ouhkr6$n0t$1@gioia.aioe.org> <c975727b-17a4-45d7-ac57-be02729570c0@googlegroups.com>
"Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote

But that is the real moon, the real moon isn't made up of just grey dust and
dirt all of which is shades of grey. If my friend watches star trek he
doesn't see people in red shits getting killed like I do

  Luckily for you, whatever you're smoking is
now legal in many states. But you might want
to go easy on the chips and cookies. :)

  I'm curious, though, which Star Trek it was
that had a planet where people dressed in
red shits.

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 09:05:46 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Thursday, 16 November 2017 13:38:30 UTC, Mayayana  wrote:
> "Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote
>

> But that is the real moon, the real moon isn't made up of just grey dust and
> dirt all of which is shades of grey. If my friend watches star trek he
> doesn't see people in red shits getting killed like I do
> >

>   Luckily for you, whatever you're smoking is
> now legal in many states.

Shows you how observent you are, I live in the UK so state laws don't realy affect me.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 13:29:53 -0500
<ouk4cd$84h$1@gioia.aioe.org>
On 11/16/2017 8:37 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> "Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote
>

> But that is the real moon, the real moon isn't made up of just grey dust and
> dirt all of which is shades of grey. If my friend watches star trek he
> doesn't see people in red shits getting killed like I do
>>

>    Luckily for you, whatever you're smoking is
> now legal in many states. But you might want
> to go easy on the chips and cookies. :)
>
>    I'm curious, though, which Star Trek it was
> that had a planet where people dressed in
> red shits.

It was the episode where most of them had hemorrhoids.

--
PeterN

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 16:46:21 -0500
"Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote

| >   Except that the colors are made-up,
|
| all colours are made up,

Here's an actual photo:

https://d2xkkdgjnsfvb0.cloudfront.net/Vault/Thumb?VaultID=12610&...

Here's my cleaned up version:

http://tropic-island.net/gallery/img.php?id_img=196

 So I guess you're right. My choice of  wavelengths look
better than Nasa's undoctored images.

  I look forward to the Ladies of Neptune series. :)

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 18:36:04 -0500
In article <ou2id9$1348$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | >   Except that the colors are made-up,
> |
> | all colours are made up,
>
> Here's an actual photo:
>
> https://d2xkkdgjnsfvb0.cloudfront.net/Vault/Thumb?VaultID=12610&...
> ode=D&ResX=600&ResY=600&OutputFormat=jpg&Quality=80&t=1508962497
>
> Here's my cleaned up version:
>
> http://tropic-island.net/gallery/img.php?id_img=196
>
>  So I guess you're right. My choice of  wavelengths look
> better than Nasa's undoctored images.

is that your home planet?

>   I look forward to the Ladies of Neptune series. :)

i'm sure you do.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 19:15:31 -0500
"nospam"<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

| > http://tropic-island.net/gallery/img.php?id_img=196
| >
| >  So I guess you're right. My choice of  wavelengths look
| > better than Nasa's undoctored images.
|
| is that your home planet?

Maybe when my ship comes in. :)

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 20:01:45 -0500
In article <ou2r4u$1hfs$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | > http://tropic-island.net/gallery/img.php?id_img=196
> | >
> | >  So I guess you're right. My choice of  wavelengths look
> | > better than Nasa's undoctored images.
> |
> | is that your home planet?
>
> Maybe when my ship comes in. :)

what can we do so that it arrives sooner to take you back home?

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 02:29:55 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Thursday, 9 November 2017 21:47:27 UTC, Mayayana  wrote:
> "Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote
>
> | >   Except that the colors are made-up,
> |
> | all colours are made up,
>
> Here's an actual photo:

https://d2xkkdgjnsfvb0.cloudfront.net/Vault/Thumb?VaultID=12610&...

> Here's my cleaned up version:
>
> http://tropic-island.net/gallery/img.php?id_img=196

I get a picture of Mauritian coast.

>  So I guess you're right.

Of course how could you doubt it :)

> My choice of  wavelengths look
> better than Nasa's undoctored images.

You I wouldn't want to be doctored.[1]

>   I look forward to the Ladies of Neptune series. :)

[1] A word I and friends commonly us when taking a pet to the vets to get their reproductive organs
made useless or removed.

From: Old Geezerr <dpspahr@cox.net>
Full headers:
From: Old Geezerr <dpspahr@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 08:18:14 -0700

From: Davoud <star@sky.net>
Full headers:
From: Davoud <star@sky.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 16:32:51 -0500
David B.
> >>http://www.sci-techuniverse.com/2017/11/nasas-1-billion-jupiter-pro...
> >ent.html
> >
> >Fascinating images. Enjoy! :-)

I didn't enjoy them at all on that web page cluttered with slimy ads. I
enjoyed them here
<https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/images/index.html>.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

From: Ron C <r.capik@verizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Ron C <r.capik@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 16:45:16 -0500
On 11/9/2017 4:32 PM, Davoud wrote:
> David B.
>>> ent.html
>>>
>>> Fascinating images. Enjoy! :-)
>
> I didn't enjoy them at all on that web page cluttered with slimy ads. I
> enjoyed them here
> <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/images/index.html>.

Very much better experience! Thanks for posting that link.
--
==
Later...

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 16:49:12 -0500
"Ron C"<r.capik@verizon.net> wrote

| > <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/images/index.html>.
| >
| Very much better experience!

Also here... some info about the photos and access
the the originals:

https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing

From: Davoud <star@sky.net>
Full headers:
From: Davoud <star@sky.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 18:18:31 -0500
Davoud:
> > <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/images/index.html>.

Ron C:
> Very much better experience! Thanks for posting that link.

You're welcome. I have sort of a thing, a fixation perhaps, on getting
things directly from the source. It's a career-related ability
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/13024995215>.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 18:36:05 -0500
In article <091120171632518433%star@sky.net>, Davoud<star@sky.net>
wrote:

> David B.
> > >
> > >Fascinating images. Enjoy! :-)
>
> I didn't enjoy them at all on that web page cluttered with slimy ads.

install an ad blocker.

> I enjoyed them here
> <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/images/index.html>.

a much better choice.

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 02:24:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Thursday, 9 November 2017 21:32:57 UTC, Davoud  wrote:
> David B.
> > >ent.html
> > >
> > >Fascinating images. Enjoy! :-)
>
> I didn't enjoy them at all on that web page cluttered with slimy ads. I
> enjoyed them here
> <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/images/index.html>.

yes that site (sci-techuniverse) was rather disturbing and made viewing annoying.

From: android <here@there.was>
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 12:17:38 +0100
In article<dd2ab281-20c7-4586-80f0-9985ae6d4f68@googlegroups.com>,
 Whisky-dave<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 9 November 2017 21:32:57 UTC, Davoud  wrote:
> > David B.

> > I didn't enjoy them at all on that web page cluttered with slimy ads. I
> > enjoyed them here
> > <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/images/index.html>.
>
> yes that site (sci-techuniverse) was rather disturbing and made viewing
> annoying.
>

> > --
> > I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything
> > that
> > you will say in your entire life.
> >
> > usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Hmmm... I do hope that the rest of the pics ain't as fake as this one...

<https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/full_width_feature/p...
c/thumbnails/image/pia21774.jpg>
--
teleportation kills

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 07:55:24 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Friday, 10 November 2017 11:17:47 UTC, android  wrote:
> In article<dd2ab281-20c7-4586-80f0-9985ae6d4f68@googlegroups.com>,
>  Whisky-dave<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, 9 November 2017 21:32:57 UTC, Davoud  wrote:
> > > David B.

> > > I didn't enjoy them at all on that web page cluttered with slimy ads. I
> > > enjoyed them here
> > > <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/images/index.html>.
> >
> > yes that site (sci-techuniverse) was rather disturbing and made viewing
> > annoying.
> >

> > > --
> > > I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything
> > > that
> > > you will say in your entire life.
> > >
> > > usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
>
> Hmmm... I do hope that the rest of the pics ain't as fake as this one...
>
> <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/full_width_feature/p...
> c/thumbnails/image/pia21774.jpg>
> --
> teleportation kills

Is that fake ?
I though what they were doing is showing the size of the earth compared to the great red spot for
those that can't visualise such a comparision.

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:57:24 +1300
rOn Fri, 10 Nov 2017 12:17:38 +0100, android<here@there.was> wrote:

>In article<dd2ab281-20c7-4586-80f0-9985ae6d4f68@googlegroups.com>,
> Whisky-dave<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, 9 November 2017 21:32:57 UTC, Davoud  wrote:
>> > David B.

>> > I didn't enjoy them at all on that web page cluttered with slimy ads. I
>> > enjoyed them here
>> > <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/images/index.html>.
>>
>> yes that site (sci-techuniverse) was rather disturbing and made viewing
>> annoying.
>>

>> > --
>> > I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything
>> > that
>> > you will say in your entire life.
>> >
>> > usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
>
>Hmmm... I do hope that the rest of the pics ain't as fake as this one...
>
><https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/full_width_feature/p...

I don't know about 'fake' so much as a good way to show the scale of
the Great Red Spot.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 17:28:05 +0100
In article<j28c0dpvm3ah0vkaefffdqc7b99488ogme@4ax.com>,
 Eric Stevens<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> rOn Fri, 10 Nov 2017 12:17:38 +0100, android<here@there.was> wrote:
>
> >In article<dd2ab281-20c7-4586-80f0-9985ae6d4f68@googlegroups.com>,
> > Whisky-dave<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> yes that site (sci-techuniverse) was rather disturbing and made viewing
> >> annoying.

> >Hmmm... I do hope that the rest of the pics ain't as fake as this one...
> >
> ><https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/full_width_feature/p...
> >umbnails/image/pia21774.jpg>
>
> I don't know about 'fake' so much as a good way to show the scale of
> the Great Red Spot.

It's FAKE science it tell ya! FAAKE!!!!!
--
teleportation kills

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 13:46:57 -0500
"android"<here@there.was> wrote

| > I don't know about 'fake' so much as a good way to show the scale of
| > the Great Red Spot.
|
| It's FAKE science it tell ya! FAAKE!!!!!

 That ought to teach you not to make jokes about
such a grave issue. :)

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 16:56:16 -0500
On 11/11/2017 1:46 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> "android"<here@there.was> wrote
>
> | > I don't know about 'fake' so much as a good way to show the scale of
> | > the Great Red Spot.
> |
> | It's FAKE science it tell ya! FAAKE!!!!!
>
>   That ought to teach you not to make jokes about
> such a grave issue. :)

Here is a grave issue, illustrated:
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bwywpdvklihzqq/Photo%20Sep%2002%2C%205%20...

--
PeterN

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 08:09:38 +0100
In article<ou7rm41p5j@news4.newsguy.com>,
 PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

> On 11/11/2017 1:46 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> > "android"<here@there.was> wrote

> > | It's FAKE science it tell ya! FAAKE!!!!!
> >
> >   That ought to teach you not to make jokes about
> > such a grave issue. :)
> >

> Here is a grave issue, illustrated:
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bwywpdvklihzqq/Photo%20Sep%2002%2C%205%20...
> 0PM.jpg?dl=0>

That's deep. That's ART!!!
--
teleportation kills

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 02:49:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Saturday, 11 November 2017 16:28:09 UTC, android  wrote:

> > I don't know about 'fake' so much as a good way to show the scale of
> > the Great Red Spot.
>
> It's FAKE science it tell ya! FAAKE!!!!!
> --
> teleportation kills

Anyone had any thoughts about these fake aliens.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/859016/Nazca-tomb-aliens-mummif...

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 12:47:01 +0100
In article<e33c6f7f-e6c5-481f-b9bf-7ca1f603e26f@googlegroups.com>,
 Whisky-dave<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, 11 November 2017 16:28:09 UTC, android  wrote:
>

> > > I don't know about 'fake' so much as a good way to show the scale of
> > > the Great Red Spot.
> >
> > It's FAKE science it tell ya! FAAKE!!!!!
> > --
> > teleportation kills
>
> Anyone had any thoughts about these fake aliens.
>
> http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/859016/Nazca-tomb-aliens-mummif...
> Peru-UFO-three-fingered

You can clearly see on this picture that the digits are malformed and
have the number of bones expected of a full hand. Cult surgery or
inbreeding?

<https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/80/590x/Nazca-Tomb-Alie...
59016.jpg>
--
teleportation kills

From: Rich A <rander3127@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 19:09:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Rich A <rander3127@gmail.com>
On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 4:23:36 AM UTC-5, David B. wrote:
> "Traveling above Jupiter at more than 130,000 miles per hour, NASA's $1
> billion Juno probe took its ninth set of stunning flyby images on
> October 24. But the sun slipped between the giant planet and Earth for
> more than a week, blocking the spacecraft from beaming home its precious
> bounty of data.
>
> Now that the conjunction is over, however, new raw image data from
> Juno's ninth perijove — as the spacecraft's high-speed flybys are called
> — has poured in. Researchers posted it all online on Tuesday, and a
> community of amateurs and professionals has been busily processing the
> data to yield colorful and stunning new pictures of Jupiter."
>
> http://www.sci-techuniverse.com/2017/11/nasas-1-billion-jupiter-pro...
>
> Fascinating images. Enjoy! :-)
>
> --
> David B.

Why have we seen no real close-ups?  Any image where you can clearly see the planet is round is from
a distance.  Have they had no probes crash but take a few images on the way down?

Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.invalid>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 16:59:11 +0000
On 10/11/2017 03:09, Rich A wrote:
> On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 4:23:36 AM UTC-5, David B. wrote:
>> "Traveling above Jupiter at more than 130,000 miles per hour, NASA's $1
>> billion Juno probe took its ninth set of stunning flyby images on
>> October 24. But the sun slipped between the giant planet and Earth for
>> more than a week, blocking the spacecraft from beaming home its precious
>> bounty of data.
>>
>> Now that the conjunction is over, however, new raw image data from
>> Juno's ninth perijove — as the spacecraft's high-speed flybys are called
>> — has poured in. Researchers posted it all online on Tuesday, and a
>> community of amateurs and professionals has been busily processing the
>> data to yield colorful and stunning new pictures of Jupiter."
>>
>> http://www.sci-techuniverse.com/2017/11/nasas-1-billion-jupiter-pro...
>>
>> Fascinating images. Enjoy! :-)
>>
>> --
>> David B.
>
> Why have we seen no real close-ups?  Any image where you can clearly see the planet is round is
from a distance.  Have they had no probes crash but take a few images on the way down?

This link posted earlier in this thread by Davoud shows MUCH better images:-

<https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/images/index.html>

I suspect, though, that without me raising the matter with my initial
post, he wouldn't have offered the readers here HIS link! ;-)

--
David B.

From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 22:04:46 +0000
On 09/11/2017 09:23, David B. wrote:
> "Traveling above Jupiter at more than 130,000 miles per hour, NASA's $1
> billion Juno probe took its ninth set of stunning flyby images on
> October 24. But the sun slipped between the giant planet and Earth for
> more than a week, blocking the spacecraft from beaming home its precious
> bounty of data.
>
> Now that the conjunction is over, however, new raw image data from
> Juno's ninth perijove — as the spacecraft's high-speed flybys are called
> — has poured in. Researchers posted it all online on Tuesday, and a
> community of amateurs and professionals has been busily processing the
> data to yield colorful and stunning new pictures of Jupiter."
>
> http://www.sci-techuniverse.com/2017/11/nasas-1-billion-jupiter-pro...
>

> Fascinating images. Enjoy! :-)

Indeed.

But Chevrons? Looks like an ordinary Von Karman vortex street to me.

Next <
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.invalid>