> Prev
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: On1 Photo RAW 2018 Final Release
Full headers:
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 16:36:24 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
On1 Photo RAW 2018 Final Release Is here, and so far I am impressed. It is a
great improvement over previous On1 products. I believe that it is good
enough to be a viable Lightroom/Photoshop alternative for those looking for
one.All the usual familiar stuff, including nondestructive layers, and Resize
are available, and there are plenty of tutorials available for learning the
finer points.

For those continuing with an LR/PS workflow, On1 Photo RAW 2018 installs, and
works as an LR&  PS plugin as it did in the past.

Mac users also get an Apple Photos extension if they choose to go in that
direction.

<https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001800631>

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxzf2nbtwdz1b0y/screenshot_214.png>
--

Regards,
Savageduck

Subject: Re: On1 Photo RAW 2018 Final Release
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 21:36:17 -0500
On 11/9/2017 7:36 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On1 Photo RAW 2018 Final Release Is here, and so far I am impressed. It is a
> great improvement over previous On1 products. I believe that it is good
> enough to be a viable Lightroom/Photoshop alternative for those looking for
> one.All the usual familiar stuff, including nondestructive layers, and Resize
> are available, and there are plenty of tutorials available for learning the
> finer points.
>
> For those continuing with an LR/PS workflow, On1 Photo RAW 2018 installs, and
> works as an LR&  PS plugin as it did in the past.
>
> Mac users also get an Apple Photos extension if they choose to go in that
> direction.
>
> <https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001800631>
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxzf2nbtwdz1b0y/screenshot_214.png>

It works fine for me, as a PS plugin. I am first starting to use LR
instead of Bridge and think it is far more convenient. For my workflow I
made a mistake in converting some of my NEF files to DNG when importing
them. I use Capture purely as an aid to diagnose problem files, so the
conversion to DNG removes that value for me. Also, I am surprised that I
am unable to find a free DNG codec from Adobe. I don't see any real
advantage in converting to DNG.

--
PeterN

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 22:16:59 +0100
In article<0001HW.1FB52C0800E25F367000083AE2CF@news.giganews.com>,
Savageduck says...

> On1 Photo RAW 2018 Final Release Is here, and so far I am impressed. It is a
> great improvement over previous On1 products. I believe that it is good
> enough to be a viable Lightroom/Photoshop alternative for those looking for
> one.All the usual familiar stuff, including nondestructive layers, and Resize
> are available, and there are plenty of tutorials available for learning the
> finer points.
>
> For those continuing with an LR/PS workflow, On1 Photo RAW 2018 installs, and
> works as an LR&  PS plugin as it did in the past.
>
> Mac users also get an Apple Photos extension if they choose to go in that
> direction.
>
> <https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001800631>
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxzf2nbtwdz1b0y/screenshot_214.png>

I gave it a try and wasn't impressed. The JPEG engine is not good (poor
detail and crispness) and it didn't apply the lens profile:
http://myolympus.org/test/raw_comp_detail1.png

ON1 is the top left one (top right is the our of camera JPEG).
--
Alfred Molon

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 14:47:29 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
On Nov 10, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in article<MPG.347035b91d84f07b98cf03@news.supernews.com>):

> In article<0001HW.1FB52C0800E25F367000083AE2CF@news.giganews.com>,
> Savageduck says...
> >
> > On1 Photo RAW 2018 Final Release Is here, and so far I am impressed. It is a
> > great improvement over previous On1 products. I believe that it is good
> > enough to be a viable Lightroom/Photoshop alternative for those looking for
> > one.All the usual familiar stuff, including nondestructive layers, and
> > Resize
> > are available, and there are plenty of tutorials available for learning the
> > finer points.
> >
> > For those continuing with an LR/PS workflow, On1 Photo RAW 2018 installs,
> > and
> > works as an LR&  PS plugin as it did in the past.
> >
> > Mac users also get an Apple Photos extension if they choose to go in that
> > direction.
> >
> > <https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001800631>
> >
> > <https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxzf2nbtwdz1b0y/screenshot_214.png>
>
> I gave it a try and wasn't impressed.

When did you give it a try?

> The JPEG engine is not good (poor
> detail and crispness) and it didn't apply the lens profile:
> http://myolympus.org/test/raw_comp_detail1.png

Strange. I have not had any issues editing/adjusting JPEGs with On1. Was this
the only image you tested?

Did you check the Lens Correction panel to see if the Lens Profile was
active?

Whether or not On1 PR has the lens profiles for your particular Oly
lens/camera I have no idea, all I can demonstrate is, they seem to have Nikon
and Fujifilm lens/camera profiles onboard. Moreover, they are applied.

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/0i5e90usilyq7p8/screenshot_215.png>

> ON1 is the top left one (top right is the our of camera JPEG).

To start with, why did you choose a problematic, badly shot/exposed JPEG?
I have a hard time believing that any software could do much for that shot.
You have an f/4 ISO 200 1/8s shot with visible camera shake, and movement
blur in the hands of the woman on the right. The CA/purple fringing is
present in the SOOC JPEG, and you have made it worse in your adjusted
examples.

How did you think you were going to get away with making that shot, with the
indoor scene on the right, and the blown highlights through the glass door on
the left?

Are the other three shots your examples of On1 PR adjustment?

If so, what did you do to screw things up so badly?

Why did you not test a RAW image file, or do you shoot JPEG only?

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 15:01:45 +0100
In article<0001HW.1FB66401012B7CF670000CC512CF@news.giganews.com>,
Savageduck says...

> > The JPEG engine is not good (poor
> > detail and crispness) and it didn't apply the lens profile:
> > http://myolympus.org/test/raw_comp_detail1.png
>
> Strange. I have not had any issues editing/adjusting JPEGs with On1. Was this
> the only image you tested?

Yep, this or perhaps another one as well. I tested ON1 and other RAW
converters.

> Did you check the Lens Correction panel to see if the Lens Profile was
> active?

Can't remember exactly, probably yes. I did put in some effort to find a
way to activate the lens profile corrections. FYI, also other RAW
converters I tested were unable to properly apply the lens corrections.

I even had an extended email exchange with the technical support of
Corel regarding Aftershop Photo 3. Despite many emails, it was
impossible to solve the issue.

Besides the lens profile issue, I also wasn't impressed by the crispness
of the pixels of the RAW converter.

<snip>

> To start with, why did you choose a problematic, badly shot/exposed JPEG?

It's not a problematic badly shot/exposed JPEG. It's the interior of a
church and the section you see is the one with the door, where obviously
there is some overexposure, but only there. The rest of the image is
reasonably well exposed.

You can see the complete image here:
http://myolympus.org/test/raw_comp_overall.png

In defense of the ON1 I can mention that it recovered nicely the
overexposed area on the pillar to the right.

> I have a hard time believing that any software could do much for that shot.
> You have an f/4 ISO 200 1/8s shot with visible camera shake,

Where do you see the camera shake? The stabilisation of the camera did a
very good job.

> and movement
> blur in the hands of the woman on the right. The CA/purple fringing is
> present in the SOOC JPEG, and you have made it worse in your adjusted
> examples.

To be accurate: the ON1 RAW converter got the worst results here,
probably because it didn't apply a lens profile. All other RAW
converters corrected the CA better than ON1.

> How did you think you were going to get away with making that shot, with the
> indoor scene on the right, and the blown highlights through the glass door on
> the left?

Again: what you see is just a small section of the image. That door
makes out only a few % of the entire image.
The camera was set up for center-weighted metering, that's why it chose
that exposure. It probably decided that it was ok to overexpose 1%-2% of
the image, rather than underexposing the entire image and having more
noise.

> Are the other three shots your examples of On1 PR adjustment?

All images you see are sections of images from conversions from the
*same* RAW file. You can see it from the filenames (P6055084*).

> If so, what did you do to screw things up so badly?

Nothing is screwed up here. You have to look at the entire image.

> Why did you not test a RAW image file, or do you shoot JPEG only?

This *is* a RAW file test.
--
Alfred Molon

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 07:04:09 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
On Nov 11, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in article<MPG.34712137fed4e99198cf04@news.supernews.com>):

> In article<0001HW.1FB66401012B7CF670000CC512CF@news.giganews.com>,
> Savageduck says...
> >
> > > The JPEG engine is not good (poor
> > > detail and crispness) and it didn't apply the lens profile:
> > > http://myolympus.org/test/raw_comp_detail1.png
> >
> > Strange. I have not had any issues editing/adjusting JPEGs with On1. Was
> > this the only image you tested?
>
> Yep, this or perhaps another one as well. I tested ON1 and other RAW
> converters.
>
> > Did you check the Lens Correction panel to see if the Lens Profile was
> > active?
>
> Can't remember exactly, probably yes. I did put in some effort to find a
> way to activate the lens profile corrections. FYI, also other RAW
> converters I tested were unable to properly apply the lens corrections.

This sounds like operator error rather than a software failure.

> I even had an extended email exchange with the technical support of
> Corel regarding Aftershop Photo 3. Despite many emails, it was
> impossible to solve the issue.

See above.

> Besides the lens profile issue, I also wasn't impressed by the crispness
> of the pixels of the RAW converter.

I have a feeling that you need to develop some familiarity with the software
before making a blanket condemnation. As I said in my OP I have been
impressed with the result I have managed to get from it, and from other
reports other folks seem to be happy with the results.

> <snip>
>
> > To start with, why did you choose a problematic, badly shot/exposed JPEG?
>
> It's not a problematic badly shot/exposed JPEG. It's the interior of a
> church and the section you see is the one with the door, where obviously
> there is some overexposure, but only there. The rest of the image is
> reasonably well exposed.
>
> You can see the complete image here:
> http://myolympus.org/test/raw_comp_overall.png

So that was not a SOOC JPEG.

To my mind that is a scene which calls for HDR.
Also, the JPEG crop is quite severe, and does not do the entire scene
justice.

> In defense of the ON1 I can mention that it recovered nicely the
> overexposed area on the pillar to the right.

That was a blown highlight area. However, the recovery by each of the apps is
minimal.

> > I have a hard time believing that any software could do much for that shot.
> > You have an f/4 ISO 200 1/8s shot with visible camera shake,
>
> Where do you see the camera shake? The stabilisation of the camera did a
> very good job.

I think the issue was visible artifacts resulting from your severe crop.

> > and movement blur in the hands of the woman on the right. The CA/purple fringing is
> > present in the SOOC JPEG, and you have made it worse in your adjusted
> > examples.
>
> To be accurate: the ON1 RAW converter got the worst results here,
> probably because it didn't apply a lens profile. All other RAW
> converters corrected the CA better than ON1.

There are two issues relating to CA; the first is the CA is in visible in the
cropped JPEG, which lays the blame on the lens/camera combo.

Then regarding whatever you did to fix the CA/fringing, it looks like you
exacerbated the problem rather than correcting it. Again I think it boils
down to your lack of familiarity with the software, or just poor technique.
However, the CA/Fringing is worse in all three examples from On1, ACDSEE, or
PS7 than in the alleged SOOC JPEG.

> > How did you think you were going to get away with making that shot, with the
> > indoor scene on the right, and the blown highlights through the glass door
> > on the left?
>
> Again: what you see is just a small section of the image. That door
> makes out only a few % of the entire image.

That is the reason the crop you shared was not a fair representation of the
entire image. It was not an SOOC JPEG.

> The camera was set up for center-weighted metering, that's why it chose
> that exposure. It probably decided that it was ok to overexpose 1%-2% of
> the image, rather than underexposing the entire image and having more
> noise.

Hmmm...

> > Are the other three shots your examples of On1 PR adjustment?
>
> All images you see are sections of images from conversions from the
> *same* RAW file. You can see it from the filenames (P6055084*).
>
> > If so, what did you do to screw things up so badly?
>
> Nothing is screwed up here. You have to look at the entire image.

You have only just posted what the entire image looks like, and still not
posted a good full final rendition.

> > Why did you not test a RAW image file, or do you shoot JPEG only?
>
> This *is* a RAW file test.

Not the file you originally shared, that was not even what you claimed it to
be, a SOOC JPEG. What you originally shared was a severe crop of a small area
of the original, and the artifacting due to the crop was misleading.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 17:14:18 +0100
In article<0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com>,
Savageduck says...

> This sounds like operator error rather than a software failure.

It's very easy to call things "operator error". Sometimes the software
is at fault.

Other RAW converters just apply the lens profile. ON1 did not. This
should happen automatically - if the software is not capable of that,
it's not good enough.

<snip>

> I have a feeling that you need to develop some familiarity with the software
> before making a blanket condemnation. As I said in my OP I have been
> impressed with the result I have managed to get from it, and from other
> reports other folks seem to be happy with the results.

Other RAW converters create good results by default.

Besides, I did spend some effort to get good results out of ON1, and I'm
not exactly clueless for what concerns image processing and RAW
conversions.

> So that was not a SOOC JPEG.

The out of camera JPEG is image in the top right, the other three images
are RAW conversions. I posted also (a crop of) the out of camera JPEG as
a comparison.

> To my mind that is a scene which calls for HDR.

In fact I also did that (have five RAWs, at 0EV and +-2EV).

> Also, the JPEG crop is quite severe, and does not do the entire scene
> justice.

Now I don't follow you. The JPEG crop is just meant to show a section of
the image at 100%, to be able to compare the pixel level image.

> That was a blown highlight area. However, the recovery by each of the apps is
> minimal.

The output of ON1 and another RAW converter show the details in the
overblown area (except for the door area, where there is just too much
overexposure; but the column highlight is recovered much better).

<snip>

> Then regarding whatever you did to fix the CA/fringing, it looks like you
> exacerbated the problem rather than correcting it. Again I think it boils
> down to your lack of familiarity with the software, or just poor technique.
> However, the CA/Fringing is worse in all three examples from On1, ACDSEE, or
> PS7 than in the alleged SOOC JPEG.

The CA you see is what the ON1 converter is creating, simply because it
is not using the lens profile information. The ON1 and ACDSee RAW
converters here have the worst CA (left side of the image; top right is
the out of camera JPEG).

<snip>

> That is the reason the crop you shared was not a fair representation of the
> entire image. It was not an SOOC JPEG.

I'm not complaining about the CA or highlight recovery. I'm complaining
about the lack of crispness (at pixel level) in the image and the
unability of the RAW converter to apply the lens profile. These two
issues make the ON1 converter useless for me.

By the way, the Corel converter (the latest vers

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 09:22:58 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
On Nov 11, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in article<MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com>):

> In article<0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com>,
> Savageduck says...
>
> > This sounds like operator error rather than a software failure.
>
> It's very easy to call things "operator error". Sometimes the software
> is at fault.

Sometimes it isn’t.
So far I haven’t found anything to give me cause to believe there is
anything wrong with On1 Photo RAW 2018.

> Other RAW converters just apply the lens profile. ON1 did not. This
> should happen automatically - if the software is not capable of that,
> it's not good enough.

It seems quite capable of doing that for my Nikon, and Fujifilm RAW files.

> <snip>
>
> > I have a feeling that you need to develop some familiarity with the software
> > before making a blanket condemnation. As I said in my OP I have been
> > impressed with the result I have managed to get from it, and from other
> > reports other folks seem to be happy with the results.
>
> Other RAW converters create good results by default.

What other RAW converters?

> Besides, I did spend some effort to get good results out of ON1, and I'm
> not exactly clueless for what concerns image processing and RAW
> conversions.

I guess your effort got lost in translation.

> > So that was not a SOOC JPEG.
>
> The out of camera JPEG is image in the top right, the other three images
> are RAW conversions. I posted also (a crop of) the out of camera JPEG as
> a comparison.

Yeah! Yeah! I got that from the start. I can read.

> > To my mind that is a scene which calls for HDR.
>
> In fact I also did that (have five RAWs, at 0EV and +-2EV).
>
> > Also, the JPEG crop is quite severe, and does not do the entire scene
> > justice.
>
> Now I don't follow you. The JPEG crop is just meant to show a section of
> the image at 100%, to be able to compare the pixel level image.

The quality of your original particularly in the area showing of the 100%
crop is poor to start with.

> > That was a blown highlight area. However, the recovery by each of the apps
> > is
> > minimal.
>
> The output of ON1 and another RAW converter show the details in the
> overblown area (except for the door area, where there is just too much
> overexposure; but the column highlight is recovered much better).
>
> <snip>
>
> > Then regarding whatever you did to fix the CA/fringing, it looks like you
> > exacerbated the problem rather than correcting it. Again I think it boils
> > down to your lack of familiarity with the software, or just poor technique.
> > However, the CA/Fringing is worse in all three examples from On1, ACDSEE, or
> > PS7 than in the alleged SOOC JPEG.
>
> The CA you see is what the ON1 converter is creating, simply because it
> is not using the lens profile information. The ON1 and ACDSee RAW
> converters here have the worst CA (left side of the image; top right is
> the out of camera JPEG).

....but the CA is still there in the original, and you should have been able
to correct, not exacerbate it with all three of the processors you used for
your comparison.

> <snip>
>
> > That is the reason the crop you shared was not a fair representation of the
> > entire image. It was not an SOOC JPEG.
>
> I'm not complaining about the CA or highlight recovery.

You should.

> I'm complaining about the lack of crispness (at pixel level) in the image and the
> unability of the RAW converter to apply the lens profile. These two
> issues make the ON1 converter useless for me.

Again, I don’t believe the quality of the original shot, particularly in
the detail area of the crop would ever make a good test subject. This is a
separate issue to the lens profile being applied, or not. An applied lens
profile isn’t going to make a difference to “crispness”, it might help
reduce the CA. It is also worth noting that, the two other processors
didn’t do much better.

If you look at the screen shot of the Lens Correction panel I had previously
sent you, you would see that the lens profile application was set to
‘auto’.

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/0i5e90usilyq7p8/screenshot_215.png>

If you check the On1 preferences there is an option to set that as a default.

> By the way, the Corel converter (the latest versíon) initially even
> refused to open the RAW files of the Olympus E-M1 II.
> I had to raise the issue to Corel and they gave me a link to a place
> where I could download a camera profile for the E-M1 II. Only after I
> did that and loaded the camera profile into Aftershot, Aftershot was
> able to open the ORFs of the E-M1 II.
>
> This is not operator error - it's a clear programming error of Corel.
> The E-M1 II has been around for a year, yet Corel haven't managed to
> include it in their Aftershot RAW converter.

I really don’t give a damn about the Corel software. I don’t use it, and
I am not testing it.

> <snip>
>
> > You have only just posted what the entire image looks like, and still not
> > posted a good full final rendition.
>
> I don't follow you here. I'm posting crops of the RAW conversion
> results. Or do you want me to post the four full resolution images?

Don’t worry about it. You have obviously made up your mind. The only thing
I can say is, I don’t think that you selected an appropriate image for
testing.

> > > This *is* a RAW file test.
> >
> > Not the file you originally shared, that was not even what you claimed it to
> > be, a SOOC JPEG. What you originally shared was a severe crop of a small
> > area
> > of the original, and the artifacting due to the crop was misleading.
>
> Seems you still have not understood what the first test result is.

Nope! I understood from the start. Note that you didn’t say anything
regarding a 100% crop when you shared the test shots.

> - Top left is a crop of the ON1 RAW conversion

That I understood.

> - Top right is a crop of the out of camera JPEG (from the RAW+JPEG output of the camera)

However, when you originally shared the panel of four shots you did not say
anything about a crop.

> - Bottom left is a crop of the ACDSee RAW conversion
> - Bottom right is a crop of the ACR RAW conversion

That much I get. What I don’t understand is how you got the PS7 version of
ACR to convert a RAW file from a recent camera.

> By the way, all crops are 100% crops.

OK! I pretty much figured out what you had done.

I think the bottom line is, you and this software are not a match.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 20:44:37 +0100
To cut it short and avoid a long discussion, how about if I send you the
RAW file and you show me what you can get out of it from ON1?

And if your result are really so much better, you tell me how you did
it.
--
Alfred Molon

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 13:03:29 -0800
References: <0001HW.1FB52C0800E25F367000083AE2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347035b91d84f07b98cf03@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB66401012B7CF670000CC512CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.34712137fed4e99198cf04@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB769720168C311700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347171939603848a98cf07@news.supernews.com>
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 20:44:37 +0100, Alfred Molon<alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:

>To cut it short and avoid a long discussion, how about if I send you the
>RAW file and you show me what you can get out of it from ON1?
>
>And if your result are really so much better, you tell me how you did
>it.

I have the new On1 too, so if you want to post a download link, I'll
play along.

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 16:59:19 +0100
References: <0001HW.1FB52C0800E25F367000083AE2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347035b91d84f07b98cf03@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB66401012B7CF670000CC512CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.34712137fed4e99198cf04@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB769720168C311700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347171939603848a98cf07@news.supernews.com> <ebpe0dp359v8mi7v1998chjijvr4urue4s@4ax.com>
In article<ebpe0dp359v8mi7v1998chjijvr4urue4s@4ax.com>, Bill W says...
> I have the new On1 too, so if you want to post a download link, I'll
> play along.

If you send me your email address, I'll send you the download link.
--
Alfred Molon

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Full headers:
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 18:38:42 -0800
References: <MPG.347035b91d84f07b98cf03@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB66401012B7CF670000CC512CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.34712137fed4e99198cf04@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB769720168C311700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347171939603848a98cf07@news.supernews.com> <ebpe0dp359v8mi7v1998chjijvr4urue4s@4ax.com> <MPG.34728e3de958d2d798cf0a@news.supernews.com>
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 16:59:19 +0100, Alfred Molon<alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In article<ebpe0dp359v8mi7v1998chjijvr4urue4s@4ax.com>, Bill W says...
>> I have the new On1 too, so if you want to post a download link, I'll
>> play along.
>
>If you send me your email address, I'll send you the download link.

I sent you an email.

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 20:11:01 +0100
References: <MPG.347035b91d84f07b98cf03@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB66401012B7CF670000CC512CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.34712137fed4e99198cf04@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB769720168C311700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347171939603848a98cf07@news.supernews.com> <ebpe0dp359v8mi7v1998chjijvr4urue4s@4ax.com> <MPG.34728e3de958d2d798cf0a@news.supernews.com> <2d1i0dd9hpssu2kcl3ed4umc7vap0blvql@4ax.com>
In article<2d1i0dd9hpssu2kcl3ed4umc7vap0blvql@4ax.com>, Bill W says...

> I sent you an email.

I just sent you the link.
--
Alfred Molon

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Full headers:
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 12:44:21 -0800
References: <MPG.34712137fed4e99198cf04@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB769720168C311700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347171939603848a98cf07@news.supernews.com> <ebpe0dp359v8mi7v1998chjijvr4urue4s@4ax.com> <MPG.34728e3de958d2d798cf0a@news.supernews.com> <2d1i0dd9hpssu2kcl3ed4umc7vap0blvql@4ax.com> <MPG.34740cb3d17835a098cf0e@news.supernews.com>
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 20:11:01 +0100, Alfred Molon<alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In article<2d1i0dd9hpssu2kcl3ed4umc7vap0blvql@4ax.com>, Bill W says...
>>
>> I sent you an email.
>
>I just sent you the link.

Got it, but it will probably be a couple of days to get to it.

Thanks.

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Full headers:
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 13:55:57 -0800
References: <MPG.34712137fed4e99198cf04@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB769720168C311700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347171939603848a98cf07@news.supernews.com> <ebpe0dp359v8mi7v1998chjijvr4urue4s@4ax.com> <MPG.34728e3de958d2d798cf0a@news.supernews.com> <2d1i0dd9hpssu2kcl3ed4umc7vap0blvql@4ax.com> <MPG.34740cb3d17835a098cf0e@news.supernews.com>
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 20:11:01 +0100, Alfred Molon<alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In article<2d1i0dd9hpssu2kcl3ed4umc7vap0blvql@4ax.com>, Bill W says...
>>
>> I sent you an email.
>
>I just sent you the link.

After a quick look, these are my comments:

Your lens is properly identified, but there is no profile for that
lens included. You can always select another lens from the dropdown
list, and maybe find something that looks right. It doesn't matter in
this case, but under Edit/Preferences/File, there is a check box at
the bottom to apply lens correction automatically.

The highlight in the open doorway is just blown out, and
unrecoverable. Some detail is recoverable on the column, but not all.

The CA is easily removed with one slider in the lens correction panel.

The photo appears to be very low resolution (I'm working the raw
file), and there does appear to be some camera shake on top of that.

I do like the photo, though.

I'm going to look at it in LR next.

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 14:14:38 -0800
References: <0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB769720168C311700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347171939603848a98cf07@news.supernews.com> <ebpe0dp359v8mi7v1998chjijvr4urue4s@4ax.com> <MPG.34728e3de958d2d798cf0a@news.supernews.com> <2d1i0dd9hpssu2kcl3ed4umc7vap0blvql@4ax.com> <MPG.34740cb3d17835a098cf0e@news.supernews.com> <qh4k0dtv6d5jg2uljhqg9v8bpanu99r3dl@4ax.com>
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 13:55:57 -0800, Bill W<nothing@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 20:11:01 +0100, Alfred Molon
><alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>In article<2d1i0dd9hpssu2kcl3ed4umc7vap0blvql@4ax.com>, Bill W says...
>>>
>>> I sent you an email.
>>
>>I just sent you the link.
>
>After a quick look, these are my comments:
>
>Your lens is properly identified, but there is no profile for that
>lens included. You can always select another lens from the dropdown
>list, and maybe find something that looks right. It doesn't matter in
>this case, but under Edit/Preferences/File, there is a check box at
>the bottom to apply lens correction automatically.
>
>The highlight in the open doorway is just blown out, and
>unrecoverable. Some detail is recoverable on the column, but not all.
>
>The CA is easily removed with one slider in the lens correction panel.
>
>The photo appears to be very low resolution (I'm working the raw
>file), and there does appear to be some camera shake on top of that.
>
>I do like the photo, though.
>
>I'm going to look at it in LR next.

Okay, now I see that the lens correction is automatically applied -
it's built-in. I see no geometric difference between the jpg and the
raw in either On1 or LR.

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 19:55:22 +0100
References: <0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB769720168C311700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347171939603848a98cf07@news.supernews.com> <ebpe0dp359v8mi7v1998chjijvr4urue4s@4ax.com> <MPG.34728e3de958d2d798cf0a@news.supernews.com> <2d1i0dd9hpssu2kcl3ed4umc7vap0blvql@4ax.com> <MPG.34740cb3d17835a098cf0e@news.supernews.com> <qh4k0dtv6d5jg2uljhqg9v8bpanu99r3dl@4ax.com> <s76k0d1e973jgjhcaicjkgmvt58a3juth5@4ax.com>
In article<s76k0d1e973jgjhcaicjkgmvt58a3juth5@4ax.com>, Bill W says...
> Okay, now I see that the lens correction is automatically applied -
> it's built-in. I see no geometric difference between the jpg and the
> raw in either On1 or LR.

Yes, the Adobe software correctly applies the lens profile. But I
thought we were talking about the ON1 converter?
--
Alfred Molon

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 12:57:48 -0800
References: <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB769720168C311700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347171939603848a98cf07@news.supernews.com> <ebpe0dp359v8mi7v1998chjijvr4urue4s@4ax.com> <MPG.34728e3de958d2d798cf0a@news.supernews.com> <2d1i0dd9hpssu2kcl3ed4umc7vap0blvql@4ax.com> <MPG.34740cb3d17835a098cf0e@news.supernews.com> <qh4k0dtv6d5jg2uljhqg9v8bpanu99r3dl@4ax.com> <s76k0d1e973jgjhcaicjkgmvt58a3juth5@4ax.com> <MPG.34755a84c4e853a98cf0f@news.supernews.com>
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 19:55:22 +0100, Alfred Molon<alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In article<s76k0d1e973jgjhcaicjkgmvt58a3juth5@4ax.com>, Bill W says...
>> Okay, now I see that the lens correction is automatically applied -
>> it's built-in. I see no geometric difference between the jpg and the
>> raw in either On1 or LR.
>
>Yes, the Adobe software correctly applies the lens profile. But I
>thought we were talking about the ON1 converter?

I am, and it appears to me that it does. As I said, I don't see any
geometric difference among the photos - whether rendered in LR, On1,
or SOOC jpg's.

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 19:49:47 +0100
References: <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB769720168C311700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347171939603848a98cf07@news.supernews.com> <ebpe0dp359v8mi7v1998chjijvr4urue4s@4ax.com> <MPG.34728e3de958d2d798cf0a@news.supernews.com> <2d1i0dd9hpssu2kcl3ed4umc7vap0blvql@4ax.com> <MPG.34740cb3d17835a098cf0e@news.supernews.com> <qh4k0dtv6d5jg2uljhqg9v8bpanu99r3dl@4ax.com> <s76k0d1e973jgjhcaicjkgmvt58a3juth5@4ax.com> <MPG.34755a84c4e853a98cf0f@news.supernews.com> <t2mm0dhqfrreai1op06u1rutp9dick5gka@4ax.com>
In article<t2mm0dhqfrreai1op06u1rutp9dick5gka@4ax.com>, Bill W says...
> I am, and it appears to me that it does. As I said, I don't see any
> geometric difference among the photos - whether rendered in LR, On1,
> or SOOC jpg's.

Can you send me the picture you got out of ON1? The one I got was quite
different geometrically from the out of camera JPEG.
--
Alfred Molon

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 18:50:35 -0800
References: <MPG.347171939603848a98cf07@news.supernews.com> <ebpe0dp359v8mi7v1998chjijvr4urue4s@4ax.com> <MPG.34728e3de958d2d798cf0a@news.supernews.com> <2d1i0dd9hpssu2kcl3ed4umc7vap0blvql@4ax.com> <MPG.34740cb3d17835a098cf0e@news.supernews.com> <qh4k0dtv6d5jg2uljhqg9v8bpanu99r3dl@4ax.com> <s76k0d1e973jgjhcaicjkgmvt58a3juth5@4ax.com> <MPG.34755a84c4e853a98cf0f@news.supernews.com> <t2mm0dhqfrreai1op06u1rutp9dick5gka@4ax.com> <MPG.3476aab4b6804b5b98cf13@news.supernews.com>
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 19:49:47 +0100, Alfred Molon<alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In article<t2mm0dhqfrreai1op06u1rutp9dick5gka@4ax.com>, Bill W says...
>> I am, and it appears to me that it does. As I said, I don't see any
>> geometric difference among the photos - whether rendered in LR, On1,
>> or SOOC jpg's.
>
>Can you send me the picture you got out of ON1? The one I got was quite
>different geometrically from the out of camera JPEG.

I just sent it, but it's 9MB, so if you have small limits on
attachments, it might be an issue.

The only difference I see is that the SOOC jpg is slightly larger, but
it still appears the same geometrically. I also removed the CA, and
tried to bring back the highlights a bit.

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 20:34:24 +0100
References: <MPG.347171939603848a98cf07@news.supernews.com> <ebpe0dp359v8mi7v1998chjijvr4urue4s@4ax.com> <MPG.34728e3de958d2d798cf0a@news.supernews.com> <2d1i0dd9hpssu2kcl3ed4umc7vap0blvql@4ax.com> <MPG.34740cb3d17835a098cf0e@news.supernews.com> <qh4k0dtv6d5jg2uljhqg9v8bpanu99r3dl@4ax.com> <s76k0d1e973jgjhcaicjkgmvt58a3juth5@4ax.com> <MPG.34755a84c4e853a98cf0f@news.supernews.com> <t2mm0dhqfrreai1op06u1rutp9dick5gka@4ax.com> <MPG.3476aab4b6804b5b98cf13@news.supernews.com> <24vp0dporq4idhi23l9b87cdq6a8ul8v27@4ax.com>
In article<24vp0dporq4idhi23l9b87cdq6a8ul8v27@4ax.com>, Bill W says...
> I just sent it, but it's 9MB, so if you have small limits on
> attachments, it might be an issue.
>
> The only difference I see is that the SOOC jpg is slightly larger, but
> it still appears the same geometrically. I also removed the CA, and
> tried to bring back the highlights a bit.

I got the picture. You got closer (geometrically) to the original JPEG
than I did, but still didn't manage to match it exactly.

But the bigger problem is the lack of pixel crispness and detail in the
RAW conversion from ON1. You can see it in this comparison:
http://myolympus.org/test/raw_comp_detail3.png

Left is the out of camera JPEG, middle is an ACR conversion, right is
your ON1 conversion. Even the out of camera JPEG has more detail than
the ON1 conversion.

It's not a sharpening issue. In my test with ON1 I applied a lot of
sharpening to the image, but didn't manage to get more pixel crispness
and detail. The detail in the image actually got worse as I applied more
sharpening with ON1. Maybe it's the way ON1 generates the full colour
data from the RAW image.
--
Alfred Molon

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 21:31:29 -0800
References: <MPG.34728e3de958d2d798cf0a@news.supernews.com> <2d1i0dd9hpssu2kcl3ed4umc7vap0blvql@4ax.com> <MPG.34740cb3d17835a098cf0e@news.supernews.com> <qh4k0dtv6d5jg2uljhqg9v8bpanu99r3dl@4ax.com> <s76k0d1e973jgjhcaicjkgmvt58a3juth5@4ax.com> <MPG.34755a84c4e853a98cf0f@news.supernews.com> <t2mm0dhqfrreai1op06u1rutp9dick5gka@4ax.com> <MPG.3476aab4b6804b5b98cf13@news.supernews.com> <24vp0dporq4idhi23l9b87cdq6a8ul8v27@4ax.com> <MPG.347806a745a6480598cf15@news.supernews.com>
On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 20:34:24 +0100, Alfred Molon<alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In article<24vp0dporq4idhi23l9b87cdq6a8ul8v27@4ax.com>, Bill W says...
>> I just sent it, but it's 9MB, so if you have small limits on
>> attachments, it might be an issue.
>>
>> The only difference I see is that the SOOC jpg is slightly larger, but
>> it still appears the same geometrically. I also removed the CA, and
>> tried to bring back the highlights a bit.
>
>I got the picture. You got closer (geometrically) to the original JPEG
>than I did, but still didn't manage to match it exactly.

*I* didn't do anything about lens distortion. The correction is built
in.

>But the bigger problem is the lack of pixel crispness and detail in the
>RAW conversion from ON1. You can see it in this comparison:
>http://myolympus.org/test/raw_comp_detail3.png
>
>Left is the out of camera JPEG, middle is an ACR conversion, right is
>your ON1 conversion. Even the out of camera JPEG has more detail than
>the ON1 conversion.

Yes, but remember that I killed the highlights and whites with those
two sliders, so the contrast is going to suffer.

>It's not a sharpening issue. In my test with ON1 I applied a lot of
>sharpening to the image, but didn't manage to get more pixel crispness
>and detail. The detail in the image actually got worse as I applied more
>sharpening with ON1. Maybe it's the way ON1 generates the full colour
>data from the RAW image.

When I adjust the contrast and structure sliders in On1, the detail
increases. I have no idea what your camera does when it generates the
jpg, or what ACR and On1 automatically do or don't do when they render
the photo. I think that as long as you can adjust the photo to
something you want, the software is perfectly adequate.

Try On1 again, but make sure the automatic lens correction is checked
in preferences, and then play with the sliders. Like I said, you can
completely remove the CA, and I'll bet you can get all the detail you
want. I'm not trying to promote On1 - I still use LR, but I wanted On1
as an alternative as needed. I think it's good software, even though
I'm still having performance issues that I don't understand.

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 21:43:10 +0100
References: <MPG.34728e3de958d2d798cf0a@news.supernews.com> <2d1i0dd9hpssu2kcl3ed4umc7vap0blvql@4ax.com> <MPG.34740cb3d17835a098cf0e@news.supernews.com> <qh4k0dtv6d5jg2uljhqg9v8bpanu99r3dl@4ax.com> <s76k0d1e973jgjhcaicjkgmvt58a3juth5@4ax.com> <MPG.34755a84c4e853a98cf0f@news.supernews.com> <t2mm0dhqfrreai1op06u1rutp9dick5gka@4ax.com> <MPG.3476aab4b6804b5b98cf13@news.supernews.com> <24vp0dporq4idhi23l9b87cdq6a8ul8v27@4ax.com> <MPG.347806a745a6480598cf15@news.supernews.com> <c3ss0dtkh02ca6ls087a2jof41i2p548i0@4ax.com>
In article<c3ss0dtkh02ca6ls087a2jof41i2p548i0@4ax.com>, Bill W says...

> >I got the picture. You got closer (geometrically) to the original
JPEG
> >than I did, but still didn't manage to match it exactly.
>
> *I* didn't do anything about lens distortion. The correction is built
> in.

I meant that the ON1 converter didn't apply the correctly lens profile.

> >But the bigger problem is the lack of pixel crispness and detail in the
> >RAW conversion from ON1. You can see it in this comparison:
> >http://myolympus.org/test/raw_comp_detail3.png
> >
> >Left is the out of camera JPEG, middle is an ACR conversion, right is
> >your ON1 conversion. Even the out of camera JPEG has more detail than
> >the ON1 conversion.
>
> Yes, but remember that I killed the highlights and whites with those
> two sliders, so the contrast is going to suffer.

There are ways to compress the highlights without killing the contrast.

<snip>

> Try On1 again, but make sure the automatic lens correction is checked
> in preferences, and then play with the sliders. Like I said, you can
> completely remove the CA, and I'll bet you can get all the detail you
> want. I'm not trying to promote On1 - I still use LR, but I wanted On1
> as an alternative as needed. I think it's good software, even though
> I'm still having performance issues that I don't understand.

ON1 doesn't apply the lens profile correctly and generates images which
are not so crisp and lack detail (compared to other RAW converters).

I'll skip ON1 for the time being (maybe I'll try it again in a couple of
years) and do a trial with Silkypix.
--
Alfred Molon

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 15:27:38 -0800
References: <MPG.34740cb3d17835a098cf0e@news.supernews.com> <qh4k0dtv6d5jg2uljhqg9v8bpanu99r3dl@4ax.com> <s76k0d1e973jgjhcaicjkgmvt58a3juth5@4ax.com> <MPG.34755a84c4e853a98cf0f@news.supernews.com> <t2mm0dhqfrreai1op06u1rutp9dick5gka@4ax.com> <MPG.3476aab4b6804b5b98cf13@news.supernews.com> <24vp0dporq4idhi23l9b87cdq6a8ul8v27@4ax.com> <MPG.347806a745a6480598cf15@news.supernews.com> <c3ss0dtkh02ca6ls087a2jof41i2p548i0@4ax.com> <MPG.34796847df4a572798cf16@news.supernews.com>
On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 21:43:10 +0100, Alfred Molon<alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In article<c3ss0dtkh02ca6ls087a2jof41i2p548i0@4ax.com>, Bill W says...
>>
>> >I got the picture. You got closer (geometrically) to the original
>JPEG
>> >than I did, but still didn't manage to match it exactly.
>>
>> *I* didn't do anything about lens distortion. The correction is built
>> in.
>
>I meant that the ON1 converter didn't apply the correctly lens profile.

I don't think that there's a profile to apply. It's done in the
camera, the way I understand it.

>> >But the bigger problem is the lack of pixel crispness and detail in the
>> >RAW conversion from ON1. You can see it in this comparison:
>> >http://myolympus.org/test/raw_comp_detail3.png
>> >
>> >Left is the out of camera JPEG, middle is an ACR conversion, right is
>> >your ON1 conversion. Even the out of camera JPEG has more detail than
>> >the ON1 conversion.
>>
>> Yes, but remember that I killed the highlights and whites with those
>> two sliders, so the contrast is going to suffer.
>
>There are ways to compress the highlights without killing the contrast.

I didn't try to do anything besides recovering the highlights in those
two areas.

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 13:46:09 +0100
References: <MPG.34740cb3d17835a098cf0e@news.supernews.com> <qh4k0dtv6d5jg2uljhqg9v8bpanu99r3dl@4ax.com> <s76k0d1e973jgjhcaicjkgmvt58a3juth5@4ax.com> <MPG.34755a84c4e853a98cf0f@news.supernews.com> <t2mm0dhqfrreai1op06u1rutp9dick5gka@4ax.com> <MPG.3476aab4b6804b5b98cf13@news.supernews.com> <24vp0dporq4idhi23l9b87cdq6a8ul8v27@4ax.com> <MPG.347806a745a6480598cf15@news.supernews.com> <c3ss0dtkh02ca6ls087a2jof41i2p548i0@4ax.com> <MPG.34796847df4a572798cf16@news.supernews.com> <fvru0dpv710ikk6lc2k0op3ucnfudus0ui@4ax.com>
In article<fvru0dpv710ikk6lc2k0op3ucnfudus0ui@4ax.com>, Bill W says...

> >I'll skip ON1 for the time being (maybe I'll try it again in a couple of
> >years) and do a trial with Silkypix.

I gave a try to Silkypix Developer Studio Pro 8:

- It automatically reads the lens profile and applies it perfectly
(pixel-to-pixel identical geometry compared to the OOC JPEG).
Impressive, the only RAW converter besides ACR capable of doing so right
now.

- The pixel crispness and sharpness is not that bad either. Not as good
as ACR, but way better than ON1.

- The user interface is complicated, hard to understand all the
controls. For instance, the only way I found so far to recover the
highlights is to play with the curves tool.

Given that Silkypix is actually a bit pricey (253 Euro), I'm inclined to
give it a pass, even if their RAW converter seems to have a lot of
potential (in my opinion probably the best of the "alternative" RAW
converters I've tested so far).
--
Alfred Molon

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 13:32:56 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
(in article<MPG.347171939603848a98cf07@news.supernews.com>):

> To cut it short and avoid a long discussion, how about if I send you the
> RAW file and you show me what you can get out of it from ON1?
>
> And if your result are really so much better, you tell me how you did
> it.

OK!

Use whatever method is convenient for you to send it.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 17:01:39 +0100
References: <0001HW.1FB52C0800E25F367000083AE2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347035b91d84f07b98cf03@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB66401012B7CF670000CC512CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.34712137fed4e99198cf04@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB769720168C311700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347171939603848a98cf07@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB7A40801767E1B7000020792CF@news.giganews.com>
In article<0001HW.1FB7A40801767E1B7000020792CF@news.giganews.com>,
Savageduck says...
> Use whatever method is convenient for you to send it.

I just sent you the download links to your me.com email address. Did you
receive it?
--
Alfred Molon

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:48:33 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
References: <0001HW.1FB52C0800E25F367000083AE2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347035b91d84f07b98cf03@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB66401012B7CF670000CC512CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.34712137fed4e99198cf04@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB769720168C311700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347171939603848a98cf07@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB7A40801767E1B7000020792CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.34728ece13c5c0cf98cf0b@news.supernews.com>
On Nov 12, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in article<MPG.34728ece13c5c0cf98cf0b@news.supernews.com>):

> In article<0001HW.1FB7A40801767E1B7000020792CF@news.giganews.com>,
> Savageduck says...
> > Use whatever method is convenient for you to send it.
>
> I just sent you the download links to your me.com email address. Did you
> receive it?

Yup! I got them. Thank you.

I have done some On1 PR adjustments and emailed some results back to you.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 20:10:09 +0100
References: <0001HW.1FB52C0800E25F367000083AE2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347035b91d84f07b98cf03@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB66401012B7CF670000CC512CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.34712137fed4e99198cf04@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB769720168C311700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347171939603848a98cf07@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB7A40801767E1B7000020792CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.34728ece13c5c0cf98cf0b@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB8CF0101BC90277000065022CF@news.giganews.com>
In article<0001HW.1FB8CF0101BC90277000065022CF@news.giganews.com>,
Savageduck says...

> I have done some On1 PR adjustments and emailed some results back to you.

I got your mail and already replied to you with comments.
--
Alfred Molon

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 16:45:51 -0500
On 11/11/2017 11:14 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article<0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com>,
> Savageduck says...
>
>> This sounds like operator error rather than a software failure.
>
> It's very easy to call things "operator error". Sometimes the software
> is at fault.
>
> Other RAW converters just apply the lens profile. ON1 did not. This
> should happen automatically - if the software is not capable of that,
> it's not good enough.

Neither LR nor ACR apply the RAW converter, unless you tell it too.
Unless you are shooting for all shots to have the same look, that is the
was it should be. I do not want profile adjustments to be made, unless
there is a reason. When I am using a WA lens, There are times I want the
distortion. Consider this pano, which is incomplete.

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4r568h1pqvzo8f/ship%20pano%20ist%20pass_D...

--
PeterN

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 18:04:58 -0500
On 11/11/2017 4:45 PM, PeterN wrote:
> On 11/11/2017 11:14 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
>> In article<0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com>,
>> Savageduck says...
>>
>>> This sounds like operator error rather than a software failure.
>>
>> It's very easy to call things "operator error". Sometimes the software
>> is at fault.
>>
>> Other RAW converters just apply the lens profile. ON1 did not. This
>> should happen automatically - if the software is not capable of that,
>> it's not good enough.
>>

> Neither LR nor ACR apply the RAW converter, unless you tell it too.
> Unless you are shooting for all shots to have the same look, that is the
> was it should be. I do not want profile adjustments to be made, unless
> there is a reason. When I am using a WA lens, There are times I want the
> distortion. Consider this pano, which is incomplete.
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4r568h1pqvzo8f/ship%20pano%20ist%20pass_D...

Oops! I meant to say apply lens distortion correction, which is what I
thought you meant.

--
PeterN

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 09:53:56 +0100
In article<ou7vmt0sa3@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN says...

> > Neither LR nor ACR apply the RAW converter, unless you tell it too.
> > Unless you are shooting for all shots to have the same look, that is the
> > was it should be. I do not want profile adjustments to be made, unless
> > there is a reason. When I am using a WA lens, There are times I want the
> > distortion. Consider this pano, which is incomplete.
> >
> > <https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4r568h1pqvzo8f/ship%20pano%20ist%20pass_D...
> >

> Oops! I meant to say apply lens distortion correction, which is what I
> thought you meant.

ACR does apply the lens distortion correction by default.
--
Alfred Molon

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 13:06:15 -0500
On 11/12/2017 3:53 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article<ou7vmt0sa3@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN says...
>>
>>> Neither LR nor ACR apply the RAW converter, unless you tell it too.
>>> Unless you are shooting for all shots to have the same look, that is the
>>> was it should be. I do not want profile adjustments to be made, unless
>>> there is a reason. When I am using a WA lens, There are times I want the
>>> distortion. Consider this pano, which is incomplete.
>>>
>>> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4r568h1pqvzo8f/ship%20pano%20ist%20pass_D...
>>>

>> Oops! I meant to say apply lens distortion correction, which is what I
>> thought you meant.
>
> ACR does apply the lens distortion correction by default.

You must have a different version than I have.

--
PeterN

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 11:02:49 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
References: <0001HW.1FB52C0800E25F367000083AE2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347035b91d84f07b98cf03@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB66401012B7CF670000CC512CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.34712137fed4e99198cf04@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <ou7r2j0oog@news4.newsguy.com> <ou7vmt0sa3@news4.newsguy.com> <MPG.34722a8dd8af367598cf09@news.supernews.com> <oua2qv01rsa@news6.newsguy.com>
On Nov 12, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article<oua2qv01rsa@news6.newsguy.com>):

> On 11/12/2017 3:53 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
> > In article<ou7vmt0sa3@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN says...

> > > Oops! I meant to say apply lens distortion correction, which is what I
> > > thought you meant.
> >
> > ACR does apply the lens distortion correction by default.
>
> You must have a different version than I have.

ACR sees the Olympus lens profile as imbedded in the metadata, and does apply
that by default. I have just checked.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 14:27:02 -0500
<0001HW.1FB8D25901BD58B67000065022CF@news.giganews.com>
On 11/12/2017 2:02 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On Nov 12, 2017, PeterN wrote
> (in article<oua2qv01rsa@news6.newsguy.com>):
>
>> On 11/12/2017 3:53 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
>>> In article<ou7vmt0sa3@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN says...

>>> ACR does apply the lens distortion correction by default.
>>
>> You must have a different version than I have.
>
> ACR sees the Olympus lens profile as imbedded in the metadata, and does apply
> that by default. I have just checked.

Strange. I have to tell ACR to apply corrections, even though it sees my
lens. As I said earlier, I do not want any correction applied
automatically.
I wonder if there is a preference setting. Or perhaps we are talking
about two different things.

--
PeterN

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 12:05:08 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
References: <0001HW.1FB52C0800E25F367000083AE2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347035b91d84f07b98cf03@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB66401012B7CF670000CC512CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.34712137fed4e99198cf04@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <ou7r2j0oog@news4.newsguy.com> <ou7vmt0sa3@news4.newsguy.com> <MPG.34722a8dd8af367598cf09@news.supernews.com> <oua2qv01rsa@news6.newsguy.com> <0001HW.1FB8D25901BD58B67000065022CF@news.giganews.com> <oua7ie01thu@news6.newsguy.com>
On Nov 12, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article<oua7ie01thu@news6.newsguy.com>):

> On 11/12/2017 2:02 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> > On Nov 12, 2017, PeterN wrote
> > (in article<oua2qv01rsa@news6.newsguy.com>):

> > > You must have a different version than I have.
> >
> > ACR sees the Olympus lens profile as imbedded in the metadata, and does
> > apply that by default. I have just checked.
>
> Strange. I have to tell ACR to apply corrections, even though it sees my
> lens. As I said earlier, I do not want any correction applied
> automatically.
> I wonder if there is a preference setting. Or perhaps we are talking
> about two different things.

That is specific to that particular Olympus lens. Since the profile is
metadata embedded, ACR has no say in the matter, and the profile is
auto-applied.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 22:32:37 +0100
References: <0001HW.1FB52C0800E25F367000083AE2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347035b91d84f07b98cf03@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB66401012B7CF670000CC512CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.34712137fed4e99198cf04@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <ou7r2j0oog@news4.newsguy.com> <ou7vmt0sa3@news4.newsguy.com> <MPG.34722a8dd8af367598cf09@news.supernews.com> <oua2qv01rsa@news6.newsguy.com> <0001HW.1FB8D25901BD58B67000065022CF@news.giganews.com> <oua7ie01thu@news6.newsguy.com> <0001HW.1FB8E0F401C0C4E97000065022CF@news.giganews.com>
In article<0001HW.1FB8E0F401C0C4E97000065022CF@news.giganews.com>,
Savageduck says...

> That is specific to that particular Olympus lens. Since the profile is
> metadata embedded, ACR has no say in the matter, and the profile is
> auto-applied.

Even the RAW files of other camera-lens combos have embedded lens
profiles. For instance:

- Sony A65 with the 16-70, 16-80 and 70-300 G SSM (and probably several
other lenses as well)
- Panasonic GM1 with the 12-32 lens (and probably many other lenses as
well)

Probably most cameras nowadays embed the lens profile into their RAW
files.
--
Alfred Molon

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 17:11:17 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
References: <0001HW.1FB52C0800E25F367000083AE2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347035b91d84f07b98cf03@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB66401012B7CF670000CC512CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.34712137fed4e99198cf04@news.supernews.com> <0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.347140426c5c424e98cf05@news.supernews.com> <ou7r2j0oog@news4.newsguy.com> <ou7vmt0sa3@news4.newsguy.com> <MPG.34722a8dd8af367598cf09@news.supernews.com> <oua2qv01rsa@news6.newsguy.com> <0001HW.1FB8D25901BD58B67000065022CF@news.giganews.com> <oua7ie01thu@news6.newsguy.com> <0001HW.1FB8E0F401C0C4E97000065022CF@news.giganews.com> <MPG.3472dc63548342cd98cf0d@news.supernews.com>
On Nov 12, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in article<MPG.3472dc63548342cd98cf0d@news.supernews.com>):

> In article<0001HW.1FB8E0F401C0C4E97000065022CF@news.giganews.com>,
> Savageduck says...
> >
> > That is specific to that particular Olympus lens. Since the profile is
> > metadata embedded, ACR has no say in the matter, and the profile is
> > auto-applied.
>
> Even the RAW files of other camera-lens combos have embedded lens
> profiles. For instance:
>
> - Sony A65 with the 16-70, 16-80 and 70-300 G SSM (and probably several
> other lenses as well)
> - Panasonic GM1 with the 12-32 lens (and probably many other lenses as
> well)
>
> Probably most cameras nowadays embed the lens profile into their RAW
> files.

I am not so sure of most cameras, but it is true of Fujifilm/Fujinon.
However, that is a feature which is On/Off switchable in the X-series
cameras, and is on by default. The differences in software dealing with this
feature are obvious. Adobe does a particularly good job of this, probably
because of collaboration with the various camera manufacturers.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Next <
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 04:01:00 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Saturday, 11 November 2017 16:14:21 UTC, Alfred Molon  wrote:
> In article<0001HW.1FB748E901612320700002CDD2CF@news.giganews.com>,
> Savageduck says...
>
> > This sounds like operator error rather than a software failure.
>
> It's very easy to call things "operator error". Sometimes the software
> is at fault.

with my students I tend to use the term :-

Me "There's a nut loose on the keyboard"
Student  "where ?"
Me "It's you doing it worng"