> Prev
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Subject: B&H is sharing your data! Sharing your DATA!!!
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 21:06:00 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Most of these sites have fine-print legal boiler-plate alluding to things like this.  Or not, if
not, the guy might sue.  But has no one noticed after having dealt with a site, all of a sudden you
get spammed by a half-dozen other sites who could only have gotten say your email from the site you
dealt with?  As for Dpreview and all other sites, I figure hundreds of little minion are frantically
going over data gleaned from dozens of cookies, desperately trying to figure out how to sqeeze more
money out of us.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60471676

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: B&H is sharing your data! Sharing your DATA!!!
Full headers:
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 22:00:26 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Dec 5, 2017, RichA wrote
(in article<dad330c1-f470-434c-8d55-ffda98386053@googlegroups.com>):

> Most of these sites have fine-print legal boiler-plate alluding to things
> like this. Or not, if not, the guy might sue. But has no one noticed after
> having dealt with a site, all of a sudden you get spammed by a half-dozen
> other sites who could only have gotten say your email from the site you dealt
> with? As for Dpreview and all other sites, I figure hundreds of little minion
> are frantically going over data gleaned from dozens of cookies, desperately
> trying to figure out how to sqeeze more money out of us.
>
> https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60471676

It is cookies doing their thing.

The most common manifestation I see is with add supported sites such as
fujirumors.com when adds for a specific item, and vendor appear after I have
made a purchase, or search at Amazon, or B&H for the same item, and they try
to sell me something I have just bought.

For most sites I use an add blocker, but when I want to access the content of
the site, I just ignore the adds.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid>
Full headers:
From: "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 12:37:05 +0100
On 2017-12-06 07:00, Savageduck wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2017, RichA wrote
> (in article<dad330c1-f470-434c-8d55-ffda98386053@googlegroups.com>):
>
>> Most of these sites have fine-print legal boiler-plate alluding to things
>> like this. Or not, if not, the guy might sue. But has no one noticed after
>> having dealt with a site, all of a sudden you get spammed by a half-dozen
>> other sites who could only have gotten say your email from the site you dealt
>> with? As for Dpreview and all other sites, I figure hundreds of little minion
>> are frantically going over data gleaned from dozens of cookies, desperately
>> trying to figure out how to sqeeze more money out of us.
>>
>> https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60471676
>
> It is cookies doing their thing.
>
> The most common manifestation I see is with add supported sites such as
> fujirumors.com when adds for a specific item, and vendor appear after I have
> made a purchase, or search at Amazon, or B&H for the same item, and they try
> to sell me something I have just bought.
>
> For most sites I use an add blocker, but when I want to access the content of
> the site, I just ignore the adds.

I use a different Firefox session with a different profile to access
sites such as Amazon, so that they can't share cookies, or read google
cookies and find out about my searches. Use different profiles and
sessions for google, facebook, etc.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 09:12:26 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 01:00:34 UTC-5, Savageduck  wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2017, RichA wrote
> (in article<dad330c1-f470-434c-8d55-ffda98386053@googlegroups.com>):
>
> > Most of these sites have fine-print legal boiler-plate alluding to things
> > like this. Or not, if not, the guy might sue. But has no one noticed after
> > having dealt with a site, all of a sudden you get spammed by a half-dozen
> > other sites who could only have gotten say your email from the site you dealt
> > with? As for Dpreview and all other sites, I figure hundreds of little minion
> > are frantically going over data gleaned from dozens of cookies, desperately
> > trying to figure out how to sqeeze more money out of us.
> >
> > https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60471676
>
> It is cookies doing their thing.
>
> The most common manifestation I see is with add supported sites such as
> fujirumors.com when adds for a specific item, and vendor appear after I have
> made a purchase, or search at Amazon, or B&H for the same item, and they try
> to sell me something I have just bought.
>
> For most sites I use an add blocker, but when I want to access the content of
> the site, I just ignore the adds.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Savageduck

Ads for specific products can chase you around for a month or more before disappearing.  All it
takes is one product look-up.

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 18:52:11 +0100
On 2017-12-06 17:12:26 +0000, RichA said:

> On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 01:00:34 UTC-5, Savageduck  wrote:
>> On Dec 5, 2017, RichA wrote
>> (in article<dad330c1-f470-434c-8d55-ffda98386053@googlegroups.com>):
>>
>>> Most of these sites have fine-print legal boiler-plate alluding to things
>>> like this. Or not, if not, the guy might sue. But has no one noticed after
>>> having dealt with a site, all of a sudden you get spammed by a half-dozen
>>> other sites who could only have gotten say your email from the site you dealt
>>> with? As for Dpreview and all other sites, I figure hundreds of little minion
>>> are frantically going over data gleaned from dozens of cookies, desperately
>>> trying to figure out how to sqeeze more money out of us.
>>>
>>> https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60471676
>>
>> It is cookies doing their thing.
>>
>> The most common manifestation I see is with add supported sites such as
>> fujirumors.com when adds for a specific item, and vendor appear after I have
>> made a purchase, or search at Amazon, or B&H for the same item, and they try
>> to sell me something I have just bought.
>>
>> For most sites I use an add blocker, but when I want to access the content of
>> the site, I just ignore the adds.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>> Savageduck
>
> Ads for specific products can chase you around for a month or more
> before disappearing.  All it takes is one product look-up.

That would be the work of those that serve the ads at B&H, not the
store itself. I wonder if the USSR would have lost control of their
masses with such data, and on record on who's reading what...
--
teleportation kills

Full headers:
From: peter <peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 6 Dec 2017 17:27:50 GMT
> On Dec 5, 2017, RichA wrote
> (in article<dad330c1-f470-434c-8d55-ffda98386053@googlegroups.com>):
>
>> Most of these sites have fine-print legal boiler-plate alluding to things
>> like this. Or not, if not, the guy might sue. But has no one noticed after
>> having dealt with a site, all of a sudden you get spammed by a half-dozen
>> other sites who could only have gotten say your email from the site you dealt
>> with? As for Dpreview and all other sites, I figure hundreds of little minion
>> are frantically going over data gleaned from dozens of cookies, desperately
>> trying to figure out how to sqeeze more money out of us.
>>
>> https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60471676
>
> It is cookies doing their thing.
>
> The most common manifestation I see is with add supported sites such as
> fujirumors.com when adds for a specific item, and vendor appear after I have
> made a purchase, or search at Amazon, or B&H for the same item, and they try
> to sell me something I have just bought.
>
> For most sites I use an add blocker, but when I want to access the content of
> the site, I just ignore the adds.

It is nothing more than RichA expressing his expected trashy self . I doubt
if there is a successful Internet retailer that doesn’t do the same thing.
If I order something from Amazon, I do not have to sign in, nor do I even
have to give them my credit card. What is strange about that is they are
using an old credit card that has expired. My new one has a different
security code, expiration date, and billing address

—
PeterN

From: android <here@there.was>
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 18:52:15 +0100
On 2017-12-06 17:27:50 +0000, peter said:

> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 5, 2017, RichA wrote
>> (in article<dad330c1-f470-434c-8d55-ffda98386053@googlegroups.com>):
>>
>>> Most of these sites have fine-print legal boiler-plate alluding to things
>>> like this. Or not, if not, the guy might sue. But has no one noticed after
>>> having dealt with a site, all of a sudden you get spammed by a half-dozen
>>> other sites who could only have gotten say your email from the site you dealt
>>> with? As for Dpreview and all other sites, I figure hundreds of little minion
>>> are frantically going over data gleaned from dozens of cookies, desperately
>>> trying to figure out how to sqeeze more money out of us.
>>>
>>> https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60471676
>>
>> It is cookies doing their thing.
>>
>> The most common manifestation I see is with add supported sites such as
>> fujirumors.com when adds for a specific item, and vendor appear after I have
>> made a purchase, or search at Amazon, or B&H for the same item, and they try
>> to sell me something I have just bought.
>>
>> For most sites I use an add blocker, but when I want to access the content of
>> the site, I just ignore the adds.
>>

> It is nothing more than RichA expressing his expected trashy self . I doubt
> if there is a successful Internet retailer that doesn’t do the same thing.
> If I order something from Amazon, I do not have to sign in, nor do I even
> have to give them my credit card. What is strange about that is they are
> using an old credit card that has expired. My new one has a different
> security code, expiration date, and billing address
>
> —
> PeterN

You've changed your handle... From who are you hiding? <scrathing side of nose>
--
teleportation kills

Full headers:
From: peter <peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 6 Dec 2017 19:48:53 GMT
android<here@there.was> wrote:
> On 2017-12-06 17:27:50 +0000, peter said:

>>> On Dec 5, 2017, RichA wrote
>>> (in article<dad330c1-f470-434c-8d55-ffda98386053@googlegroups.com>):

>>> It is cookies doing their thing.
>>>
>>> The most common manifestation I see is with add supported sites such as
>>> fujirumors.com when adds for a specific item, and vendor appear after I have
>>> made a purchase, or search at Amazon, or B&H for the same item, and they try
>>> to sell me something I have just bought.
>>>
>>> For most sites I use an add blocker, but when I want to access the content of
>>> the site, I just ignore the adds.
>>>

>> It is nothing more than RichA expressing his expected trashy self . I doubt
>> if there is a successful Internet retailer that doesn’t do the same thing.
>> If I order something from Amazon, I do not have to sign in, nor do I even
>> have to give them my credit card. What is strange about that is they are
>> using an old credit card that has expired. My new one has a different
>> security code, expiration date, and billing address
>>
>> —
>> PeterN
>
> You've changed your handle... From who are you hiding? <scrathing side of nose>

Just using a different newsreader

--
PeterN

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 13:53:18 -0500
In article<p099am01ij1@news4.newsguy.com>, peter<peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net> wrote:

> If I order something from Amazon, I do not have to sign in, nor do I even
> have to give them my credit card. What is strange about that is they are
> using an old credit card that has expired. My new one has a different
> security code, expiration date, and billing address

the bank pushed the updated information to amazon.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 00:03:53 -0500
On 12/6/2017 1:53 PM, nospam wrote:
> In article<p099am01ij1@news4.newsguy.com>, peter
><peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net> wrote:
>

>> If I order something from Amazon, I do not have to sign in, nor do I even
>> have to give them my credit card. What is strange about that is they are
>> using an old credit card that has expired. My new one has a different
>> security code, expiration date, and billing address
>
> the bank pushed the updated information to amazon.

And violate banking laws?

--
PeterN

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 06:23:26 +0100
On 2017-12-07 05:03:53 +0000, PeterN said:

> On 12/6/2017 1:53 PM, nospam wrote:
>> In article<p099am01ij1@news4.newsguy.com>, peter
>><peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net> wrote:
>>

>>> If I order something from Amazon, I do not have to sign in, nor do I even
>>> have to give them my credit card. What is strange about that is they are
>>> using an old credit card that has expired. My new one has a different
>>> security code, expiration date, and billing address
>>
>> the bank pushed the updated information to amazon.
>>

> And violate banking laws?

You have probably waved them...
--
teleportation kills

From: me <me@privacy.net>
From: me@privacy.net
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 23:05:38 -0800
On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 06:23:26 +0100, android<here@there.was> wrote:

>On 2017-12-07 05:03:53 +0000, PeterN said:
>
>> On 12/6/2017 1:53 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> the bank pushed the updated information to amazon.
>>>

>> And violate banking laws?
>
>You have probably waved them...

About as believable as ANYTHING else on The Net and especially Usenet.

I've used Amazon and other sales sites on the net for years,
and if my card is expired, they LET ME KNOW, and NO WAY in hell
does my bank give them my new card number, let alone anything else.

My card number DOESN'T even TELL them who my bank (Credit Union) is..

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 23:59:59 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Dec 6, 2017, me@privacy.net wrote
(in article<crph2d51j3rboiib1f5seq5v13c16i3fvt@4ax.com>):

> On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 06:23:26 +0100, android<here@there.was>  wrote:

> > > And violate banking laws?
> >
> > You have probably waved them...
>
> About as believable as ANYTHING else on The Net and especially Usenet.
>
> I've used Amazon and other sales sites on the net for years,
> and if my card is expired, they LET ME KNOW, and NO WAY in hell
> does my bank give them my new card number, let alone anything else.

From what I know of Amazon, and vendors such as B&H who the customer has
given authorization to retain credit card, or other payment information, if
the card has expired, and been re-issued with a new number, and CVV number,
they will request updated information from you, not the bank, before
completing any transaction.

Also since I am using a Mac, all my credit card information is retained in my
encrypted Keychain, and I can select from one of those cards for a regular
payment, or an ApplePay payment.

> My card number DOESN'T even TELL them who my bank (Credit Union) is..

It should tell them if it is Amex, Visa, or MC.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 09:27:34 +0100
On 2017-12-07 07:59:59 +0000, Savageduck said:

> On Dec 6, 2017, me@privacy.net wrote
> (in article<crph2d51j3rboiib1f5seq5v13c16i3fvt@4ax.com>):

>>> You have probably waved them...
>>
>> About as believable as ANYTHING else on The Net and especially Usenet.
>>
>> I've used Amazon and other sales sites on the net for years,
>> and if my card is expired, they LET ME KNOW, and NO WAY in hell
>> does my bank give them my new card number, let alone anything else.
>
> From what I know of Amazon, and vendors such as B&H who the customer has
> given authorization to retain credit card, or other payment information, if
> the card has expired, and been re-issued with a new number, and CVV number,
> they will request updated information from you, not the bank, before
> completing any transaction.
>
> Also since I am using a Mac, all my credit card information is retained in my
> encrypted Keychain, and I can select from one of those cards for a regular
> payment, or an ApplePay payment.
>>
>> My card number DOESN'T even TELL them who my bank (Credit Union) is..
>
> It should tell them if it is Amex, Visa, or MC.

The fact that "me" didn't wave anything doesn't mean that PeterN did not...
--
teleportation kills

Full headers:
From: peter <peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 7 Dec 2017 16:11:16 GMT
<me@privacy.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 06:23:26 +0100, android<here@there.was> wrote:

>>> And violate banking laws?
>>
>> You have probably waved them...
>
> About as believable as ANYTHING else on The Net and especially Usenet.
>
> I've used Amazon and other sales sites on the net for years,
> and if my card is expired, they LET ME KNOW, and NO WAY in hell
> does my bank give them my new card number, let alone anything else.
>
> My card number DOESN'T even TELL them who my bank (Credit Union) is..

Your card number tells them what type of card you have.  Note that the
number is the same. Other merchants who have my card on file request my
security code and new expiration date .  If you don’t believe it, that’s
your problem.

--
PeterN

From: Rich A <rander3127@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 12:54:40 -0800 (PST)
From: Rich A <rander3127@gmail.com>
On another notr, there have been incidences of long-defunct credits cards being billed and paid
simply because the billing company is a huge corporation.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:01:45 -0500
In article<33de194d-480e-47d7-911a-b619427a6f70@googlegroups.com>,
Rich A<rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:

> On another notr, there have been incidences of long-defunct credits cards
> being billed and paid simply because the billing company is a huge
> corporation.

cite.

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 14:14:48 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Dec 7, 2017, Rich A wrote
(in article<33de194d-480e-47d7-911a-b619427a6f70@googlegroups.com>):

> On another notr, there have been incidences of long-defunct credits cards
> being billed and paid simply because the billing company is a huge
> corporation.

There have??? Please cite.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Ken Hart <kwhart1@frontier.com>
Full headers:
From: Ken Hart <kwhart1@frontier.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 15:18:56 -0500
On 12/07/2017 02:05 AM, me@privacy.net wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 06:23:26 +0100, android<here@there.was> wrote:

>>> And violate banking laws?
>>
>> You have probably waved them...
>
> About as believable as ANYTHING else on The Net and especially Usenet.
>
> I've used Amazon and other sales sites on the net for years,
> and if my card is expired, they LET ME KNOW, and NO WAY in hell
> does my bank give them my new card number, let alone anything else.
>
> My card number DOESN'T even TELL them who my bank (Credit Union) is..

Actually, it might.
 From Wikipedia: "The leading six digits of the card number is the
"issuer identification number (IIN)", sometimes referred to as the "bank
identification number (BIN)"."

--
Ken Hart
kwhart1@frontier.com

Full headers:
From: peter <peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 8 Dec 2017 20:36:30 GMT
Ken Hart<kwhart1@frontier.com> wrote:
> On 12/07/2017 02:05 AM, me@privacy.net wrote:

>>> You have probably waved them...
>>
>> About as believable as ANYTHING else on The Net and especially Usenet.
>>
>> I've used Amazon and other sales sites on the net for years,
>> and if my card is expired, they LET ME KNOW, and NO WAY in hell
>> does my bank give them my new card number, let alone anything else.
>>
>> My card number DOESN'T even TELL them who my bank (Credit Union) is..
>>

> Actually, it might.
> From Wikipedia: "The leading six digits of the card number is the
> "issuer identification number (IIN)", sometimes referred to as the "bank
> identification number (BIN)"."

Absolutely correct. There are certain websites where upon check out, there
is no visible indication of the type of credit card being used. You just
put in the digits, and the type of credit card will automatically appear.

—
PeterN

Full headers:
From: peter <peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 7 Dec 2017 16:08:29 GMT
android<here@there.was> wrote:
> On 2017-12-07 05:03:53 +0000, PeterN said:
>
>> On 12/6/2017 1:53 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> the bank pushed the updated information to amazon.
>>>

>> And violate banking laws?
>
> You have probably waved them...

Nope.

--
PeterN

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 08:30:50 -0500
In article<p0ai4002dv3@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

> >> If I order something from Amazon, I do not have to sign in, nor do I even
> >> have to give them my credit card. What is strange about that is they are
> >> using an old credit card that has expired. My new one has a different
> >> security code, expiration date, and billing address
> >
> > the bank pushed the updated information to amazon.
>
> And violate banking laws?

it's not a violation of any law. it's a service that some merchants may
use.

<https://usa.visa.com/run-your-business/commercial-solutions/solution...
erchant-processing.html>
  Merchants enrolled in VAU receive updates to cardholder account
  information, including new account numbers, new expiration dates,
  and/or contact cardholder notifications from participating Visa
  issuers.

<https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/merchants/grow-your-business/find-so...
ions-by-business-type/bill-payment-services.html>
  The Mastercard Automatic Billing Updater allows you to efficiently
  and seamlessly update account-on-file information, preventing
  disruptions due to account changes and helping you to secure ongoing
  payment relationships with your customers.

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 15:26:57 +0100

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 09:30:57 -0500

From: peter <peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 7 Dec 2017 16:47:24 GMT
nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article<f8t1dhFhak4U1@mid.individual.net>, android<here@there.was>
> wrote:
>

>>> it's not a violation of any law. it's a service that some merchants may
>>> use.
>>>
>>> <https://usa.visa.com/run-your-business/commercial-solutions/solution...
>>> erchant-processing.html>
>>> Merchants enrolled in VAU receive updates to cardholder account
>>> information, including new account numbers, new expiration dates,
>>> and/or contact cardholder notifications from participating Visa
>>> issuers.
>>>
>>> <https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/merchants/grow-your-business/find-so...
>>> ions-by-business-type/bill-payment-services.html>
>>> The Mastercard Automatic Billing Updater allows you to efficiently
>>> and seamlessly update account-on-file information, preventing
>>> disruptions due to account changes and helping you to secure ongoing
>>> payment relationships with your customers.
>>
>> Can PeterN opt out of this?
>
> maybe.
>
>> Shouldn't this be strictly opt in?
>
> no.
>
>> I've
>> always had to update info at places like PayPal...
>
> not all merchants use it.

The link I posted below provides a lot of insight into the problem

https://www.truthinadvertising.org/credit-card-updating-service-may-...

--
PeterN

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 13:55:06 -0500

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 12:01:52 -0800

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 15:21:40 -0500

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 13:08:36 -0800

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:15:13 -0500
In article<hbbj2d558tb1e2fqm2sqblrfbsmqjv4vdi@4ax.com>, Bill W<nothing@nowhere.com> wrote:

> >> As someone who has had the same card compromised 4 times in the last
> >> couple of years, I wish everyone would use it. It's tiresome updating
> >> the info for the replacement cards when it's the same account after
> >> all.
> >
> >it's more tiresome dealing with a compromised card.
> >
> >start using apple pay, and you'll only need to worry about inside leaks.
>
> I'm sure it's the same with Android Pay,

close, but not quite. android pay is slightly less secure than apple
pay.

with both, the merchant doesn't get your actual card number, so even if
their systems are hacked, your card won't be.

> but far too few places use it
> around here. It's ridiculous. I can't even threaten to take my
> business elsewhere because elsewhere doesn't have it either.

around here, it's nearly everywhere, with restaurants being the big
exception (mostly a cultural issue, not a technical one). some places
say they don't support it, but they do.

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 13:31:13 -0800
On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:15:13 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>> >it's more tiresome dealing with a compromised card.
>> >
>> >start using apple pay, and you'll only need to worry about inside leaks.
>>
>> I'm sure it's the same with Android Pay,
>
>close, but not quite. android pay is slightly less secure than apple
>pay.

But more secure than handing it to the kid at the drive-through window
at Jack in the Box. I do have to give the CC companies some credit,
though: they have some pretty good algorithms for flagging sales. They
picked up on sales that seemed perfectly innocuous to even me, and
there have been no false positives at all, even for very large
charges.

>with both, the merchant doesn't get your actual card number, so even if
>their systems are hacked, your card won't be.
>
>> but far too few places use it
>> around here. It's ridiculous. I can't even threaten to take my
>> business elsewhere because elsewhere doesn't have it either.
>
>around here, it's nearly everywhere, with restaurants being the big
>exception (mostly a cultural issue, not a technical one). some places
>say they don't support it, but they do.

Yep, big city living. You'd think Las Vegas would be a little further
along.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:40:33 -0500
References: <dad330c1-f470-434c-8d55-ffda98386053@googlegroups.com> <071220170830501998%nospam@nospam.invalid> <f8t1dhFhak4U1@mid.individual.net> <071220170930578423%nospam@nospam.invalid> <fe7j2d5usbo81u5rn74bqt7cfnvrkovcjj@4ax.com> <071220171521404129%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hbbj2d558tb1e2fqm2sqblrfbsmqjv4vdi@4ax.com> <071220171615136875%nospam@nospam.invalid> <igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com>
In article<igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com>, Bill W<nothing@nowhere.com> wrote:

> >> I'm sure it's the same with Android Pay,
> >
> >close, but not quite. android pay is slightly less secure than apple
> >pay.
>
> But more secure than handing it to the kid at the drive-through window
> at Jack in the Box.

or the underpaid waitstaff.

> I do have to give the CC companies some credit,
> though: they have some pretty good algorithms for flagging sales. They
> picked up on sales that seemed perfectly innocuous to even me, and
> there have been no false positives at all, even for very large
> charges.

buy gas twice in the same day. they love that one.

> >with both, the merchant doesn't get your actual card number, so even if
> >their systems are hacked, your card won't be.
> >
> >> but far too few places use it
> >> around here. It's ridiculous. I can't even threaten to take my
> >> business elsewhere because elsewhere doesn't have it either.
> >
> >around here, it's nearly everywhere, with restaurants being the big
> >exception (mostly a cultural issue, not a technical one). some places
> >say they don't support it, but they do.
>
> Yep, big city living. You'd think Las Vegas would be a little further
> along.

they're more further along than you might think. i see a shitload of
places w/contactless.

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <dad330c1-f470-434c-8d55-ffda98386053@googlegroups.com> <071220170830501998%nospam@nospam.invalid> <f8t1dhFhak4U1@mid.individual.net> <071220170930578423%nospam@nospam.invalid> <fe7j2d5usbo81u5rn74bqt7cfnvrkovcjj@4ax.com> <071220171521404129%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hbbj2d558tb1e2fqm2sqblrfbsmqjv4vdi@4ax.com> <071220171615136875%nospam@nospam.invalid> <igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com> <071220171640332473%nospam@nospam.invalid>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 11:39:30 +1300
On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:40:33 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>> >close, but not quite. android pay is slightly less secure than apple
>> >pay.
>>
>> But more secure than handing it to the kid at the drive-through window
>> at Jack in the Box.
>
>or the underpaid waitstaff.
>
>> I do have to give the CC companies some credit,
>> though: they have some pretty good algorithms for flagging sales. They
>> picked up on sales that seemed perfectly innocuous to even me, and
>> there have been no false positives at all, even for very large
>> charges.
>
>buy gas twice in the same day. they love that one.

I've bought gas three times in one day and twice the next day - and
nobody blinked. They probably recognised that each purchase was
several hundred miles from the previous purchase.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 15:43:02 -0800
References: <071220170830501998%nospam@nospam.invalid> <f8t1dhFhak4U1@mid.individual.net> <071220170930578423%nospam@nospam.invalid> <fe7j2d5usbo81u5rn74bqt7cfnvrkovcjj@4ax.com> <071220171521404129%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hbbj2d558tb1e2fqm2sqblrfbsmqjv4vdi@4ax.com> <071220171615136875%nospam@nospam.invalid> <igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com> <071220171640332473%nospam@nospam.invalid> <skgj2dpksc21mp0idfo2sgg8bpbka65e4o@4ax.com>
On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 11:39:30 +1300, Eric Stevens<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:40:33 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
>wrote:

>>> But more secure than handing it to the kid at the drive-through window
>>> at Jack in the Box.
>>
>>or the underpaid waitstaff.
>>
>>> I do have to give the CC companies some credit,
>>> though: they have some pretty good algorithms for flagging sales. They
>>> picked up on sales that seemed perfectly innocuous to even me, and
>>> there have been no false positives at all, even for very large
>>> charges.
>>
>>buy gas twice in the same day. they love that one.
>
>I've bought gas three times in one day and twice the next day - and
>nobody blinked. They probably recognised that each purchase was
>several hundred miles from the previous purchase.

I've been flagged for that, but I was also on the road.

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:09:57 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <071220170830501998%nospam@nospam.invalid> <f8t1dhFhak4U1@mid.individual.net> <071220170930578423%nospam@nospam.invalid> <fe7j2d5usbo81u5rn74bqt7cfnvrkovcjj@4ax.com> <071220171521404129%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hbbj2d558tb1e2fqm2sqblrfbsmqjv4vdi@4ax.com> <071220171615136875%nospam@nospam.invalid> <igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com> <071220171640332473%nospam@nospam.invalid> <skgj2dpksc21mp0idfo2sgg8bpbka65e4o@4ax.com> <7ekj2dt8r8qnoijc3e2sk092m443is8r2m@4ax.com>
On Dec 7, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in article<7ekj2dt8r8qnoijc3e2sk092m443is8r2m@4ax.com>):

> On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 11:39:30 +1300, Eric Stevens
><eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>  wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:40:33 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
> > wrote:

<<Snip>>

> > > buy gas twice in the same day. they love that one.
> >
> > I've bought gas three times in one day and twice the next day - and
> > nobody blinked. They probably recognised that each purchase was
> > several hundred miles from the previous purchase.
>
> I've been flagged for that, but I was also on the road.

Hell! Several times I have filled up two cars at two different pumps at the
same time with the same card, not so much as a peep from the bank. I have
also done the multiple fill-ups on the same and following day, also without
reaction from the bank.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Full headers:
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:13:34 -0800
References: <071220170930578423%nospam@nospam.invalid> <fe7j2d5usbo81u5rn74bqt7cfnvrkovcjj@4ax.com> <071220171521404129%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hbbj2d558tb1e2fqm2sqblrfbsmqjv4vdi@4ax.com> <071220171615136875%nospam@nospam.invalid> <igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com> <071220171640332473%nospam@nospam.invalid> <skgj2dpksc21mp0idfo2sgg8bpbka65e4o@4ax.com> <7ekj2dt8r8qnoijc3e2sk092m443is8r2m@4ax.com> <0001HW.1FDA0FD50081743D70000FE282CF@news.giganews.com>
On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:09:57 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On Dec 7, 2017, Bill W wrote
>(in article<7ekj2dt8r8qnoijc3e2sk092m443is8r2m@4ax.com>):
>
>> On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 11:39:30 +1300, Eric Stevens
>><eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>  wrote:
>>
>> > On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:40:33 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
>> > wrote:
>
><<Snip>>

>> > I've bought gas three times in one day and twice the next day - and
>> > nobody blinked. They probably recognised that each purchase was
>> > several hundred miles from the previous purchase.
>>
>> I've been flagged for that, but I was also on the road.
>
>Hell! Several times I have filled up two cars at two different pumps at the
>same time with the same card, not so much as a peep from the bank. I have
>also done the multiple fill-ups on the same and following day, also without
>reaction from the bank.

I don't remember all the details, but time might be a factor in their
determination. I drive fast. Sometimes very fast. So gas in two
different cities that in their calculations are too far apart might
have been the trigger.

Full headers:
From: peter <peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 8 Dec 2017 01:32:50 GMT
<7ekj2dt8r8qnoijc3e2sk092m443is8r2m@4ax.com>
<0001HW.1FDA0FD50081743D70000FE282CF@news.giganews.com>
> On Dec 7, 2017, Bill W wrote
> (in article<7ekj2dt8r8qnoijc3e2sk092m443is8r2m@4ax.com>):
>
>> On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 11:39:30 +1300, Eric Stevens
>><eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>  wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:40:33 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
>>> wrote:
>
> <<Snip>>

>>> I've bought gas three times in one day and twice the next day - and
>>> nobody blinked. They probably recognised that each purchase was
>>> several hundred miles from the previous purchase.
>>
>> I've been flagged for that, but I was also on the road.
>
> Hell! Several times I have filled up two cars at two different pumps at the
> same time with the same card, not so much as a peep from the bank. I have
> also done the multiple fill-ups on the same and following day, also without
> reaction from the bank.

Same here

--
PeterN

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 16:38:46 +1300
On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:09:57 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On Dec 7, 2017, Bill W wrote
>(in article<7ekj2dt8r8qnoijc3e2sk092m443is8r2m@4ax.com>):
>
>> On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 11:39:30 +1300, Eric Stevens
>><eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>  wrote:
>>
>> > On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:40:33 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
>> > wrote:
>
><<Snip>>

>> > I've bought gas three times in one day and twice the next day - and
>> > nobody blinked. They probably recognised that each purchase was
>> > several hundred miles from the previous purchase.
>>
>> I've been flagged for that, but I was also on the road.
>
>Hell! Several times I have filled up two cars at two different pumps at the
>same time with the same card, not so much as a peep from the bank. I have
>also done the multiple fill-ups on the same and following day, also without
>reaction from the bank.

After years of using my card around Auckland (NZ) I flew to Geneva
(Switzerland) to visit my daughter. My bank got all twitchy when I
used my card to withdraw some cash in Geneva. They seem to be watching
for changes in the pattern of card use.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 22:45:05 -0500
References: <071220170930578423%nospam@nospam.invalid> <fe7j2d5usbo81u5rn74bqt7cfnvrkovcjj@4ax.com> <071220171521404129%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hbbj2d558tb1e2fqm2sqblrfbsmqjv4vdi@4ax.com> <071220171615136875%nospam@nospam.invalid> <igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com> <071220171640332473%nospam@nospam.invalid> <skgj2dpksc21mp0idfo2sgg8bpbka65e4o@4ax.com> <7ekj2dt8r8qnoijc3e2sk092m443is8r2m@4ax.com> <0001HW.1FDA0FD50081743D70000FE282CF@news.giganews.com> <842k2dhcb971eguef1gm6s246vis16mvfo@4ax.com>
In article<842k2dhcb971eguef1gm6s246vis16mvfo@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> They seem to be watching
> for changes in the pattern of card use.

obviously

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <071220171521404129%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hbbj2d558tb1e2fqm2sqblrfbsmqjv4vdi@4ax.com> <071220171615136875%nospam@nospam.invalid> <igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com> <071220171640332473%nospam@nospam.invalid> <skgj2dpksc21mp0idfo2sgg8bpbka65e4o@4ax.com> <7ekj2dt8r8qnoijc3e2sk092m443is8r2m@4ax.com> <0001HW.1FDA0FD50081743D70000FE282CF@news.giganews.com> <842k2dhcb971eguef1gm6s246vis16mvfo@4ax.com> <071220172245059742%nospam@nospam.invalid>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 21:26:25 +1300
On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 22:45:05 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article<842k2dhcb971eguef1gm6s246vis16mvfo@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
><eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> They seem to be watching
>> for changes in the pattern of card use.
>
>obviously

It's alright nospam. You aren't obliged to answer *every* post in a
thread in which you are engaged.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Full headers:
From: peter <peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 8 Dec 2017 18:05:27 GMT
<842k2dhcb971eguef1gm6s246vis16mvfo@4ax.com>
Eric Stevens<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:09:57 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 7, 2017, Bill W wrote
>> (in article<7ekj2dt8r8qnoijc3e2sk092m443is8r2m@4ax.com>):

>> <<Snip>>

>>> I've been flagged for that, but I was also on the road.
>>
>> Hell! Several times I have filled up two cars at two different pumps at the
>> same time with the same card, not so much as a peep from the bank. I have
>> also done the multiple fill-ups on the same and following day, also without
>> reaction from the bank.
>
> After years of using my card around Auckland (NZ) I flew to Geneva
> (Switzerland) to visit my daughter. My bank got all twitchy when I
> used my card to withdraw some cash in Geneva. They seem to be watching
> for changes in the pattern of card use.

That may be part of their algorithm.

--
PeterN

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <071220171521404129%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hbbj2d558tb1e2fqm2sqblrfbsmqjv4vdi@4ax.com> <071220171615136875%nospam@nospam.invalid> <igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com> <071220171640332473%nospam@nospam.invalid> <skgj2dpksc21mp0idfo2sgg8bpbka65e4o@4ax.com> <7ekj2dt8r8qnoijc3e2sk092m443is8r2m@4ax.com> <0001HW.1FDA0FD50081743D70000FE282CF@news.giganews.com> <842k2dhcb971eguef1gm6s246vis16mvfo@4ax.com> <p0ek971vgg@news3.newsguy.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2017 12:20:35 +1300
On 8 Dec 2017 18:05:27 GMT, peter<peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net>
wrote:

>Eric Stevens<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:09:57 -0800, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Dec 7, 2017, Bill W wrote
>>> (in article<7ekj2dt8r8qnoijc3e2sk092m443is8r2m@4ax.com>):

>>> <<Snip>>

>>> Hell! Several times I have filled up two cars at two different pumps at the
>>> same time with the same card, not so much as a peep from the bank. I have
>>> also done the multiple fill-ups on the same and following day, also without
>>> reaction from the bank.
>>
>> After years of using my card around Auckland (NZ) I flew to Geneva
>> (Switzerland) to visit my daughter. My bank got all twitchy when I
>> used my card to withdraw some cash in Geneva. They seem to be watching
>> for changes in the pattern of card use.
>
>That may be part of their algorithm.

Yes. Now when I'm going overseas I ring them up and tell them. Their
idea.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 18:32:14 -0500
References: <071220171521404129%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hbbj2d558tb1e2fqm2sqblrfbsmqjv4vdi@4ax.com> <071220171615136875%nospam@nospam.invalid> <igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com> <071220171640332473%nospam@nospam.invalid> <skgj2dpksc21mp0idfo2sgg8bpbka65e4o@4ax.com> <7ekj2dt8r8qnoijc3e2sk092m443is8r2m@4ax.com> <0001HW.1FDA0FD50081743D70000FE282CF@news.giganews.com> <842k2dhcb971eguef1gm6s246vis16mvfo@4ax.com> <p0ek971vgg@news3.newsguy.com> <cg7m2dl1sdaj084ttco5f6lpej98ugqfoj@4ax.com>
In article<cg7m2dl1sdaj084ttco5f6lpej98ugqfoj@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> >> After years of using my card around Auckland (NZ) I flew to Geneva
> >> (Switzerland) to visit my daughter. My bank got all twitchy when I
> >> used my card to withdraw some cash in Geneva. They seem to be watching
> >> for changes in the pattern of card use.
> >
> >That may be part of their algorithm.
>
> Yes. Now when I'm going overseas I ring them up and tell them. Their
> idea.

some card issuers determine that automatically, such as from purchases
of airline tickets and/or hotel reservations in the destination
country.

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <071220171615136875%nospam@nospam.invalid> <igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com> <071220171640332473%nospam@nospam.invalid> <skgj2dpksc21mp0idfo2sgg8bpbka65e4o@4ax.com> <7ekj2dt8r8qnoijc3e2sk092m443is8r2m@4ax.com> <0001HW.1FDA0FD50081743D70000FE282CF@news.giganews.com> <842k2dhcb971eguef1gm6s246vis16mvfo@4ax.com> <p0ek971vgg@news3.newsguy.com> <cg7m2dl1sdaj084ttco5f6lpej98ugqfoj@4ax.com> <081220171832149250%nospam@nospam.invalid>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2017 16:54:08 +1300
On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 18:32:14 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>> >That may be part of their algorithm.
>>
>> Yes. Now when I'm going overseas I ring them up and tell them. Their
>> idea.
>
>some card issuers determine that automatically, such as from purchases
>of airline tickets and/or hotel reservations in the destination
>country.

They may do that now but this was some years ago.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 14:27:57 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <dad330c1-f470-434c-8d55-ffda98386053@googlegroups.com> <071220170830501998%nospam@nospam.invalid> <f8t1dhFhak4U1@mid.individual.net> <071220170930578423%nospam@nospam.invalid> <fe7j2d5usbo81u5rn74bqt7cfnvrkovcjj@4ax.com> <071220171521404129%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hbbj2d558tb1e2fqm2sqblrfbsmqjv4vdi@4ax.com> <071220171615136875%nospam@nospam.invalid> <igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com>
On Dec 7, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in article<igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com>):

> On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:15:13 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:

> > > I'm sure it's the same with Android Pay,
> >
> > close, but not quite. android pay is slightly less secure than apple
> > pay.
>
> But more secure than handing it to the kid at the drive-through window
> at Jack in the Box. I do have to give the CC companies some credit,
> though: they have some pretty good algorithms for flagging sales. They
> picked up on sales that seemed perfectly innocuous to even me, and
> there have been no false positives at all, even for very large
> charges.
>
> > with both, the merchant doesn't get your actual card number, so even if
> > their systems are hacked, your card won't be.
> >
> > > but far too few places use it
> > > around here. It's ridiculous. I can't even threaten to take my
> > > business elsewhere because elsewhere doesn't have it either.
> >
> > around here, it's nearly everywhere, with restaurants being the big
> > exception (mostly a cultural issue, not a technical one). some places
> > say they don't support it, but they do.
>
> Yep, big city living. You'd think Las Vegas would be a little further
> along.

I believe that if you actually looked you would find that they are further
along than you thought. You have several Trader Joe’s in Las Vegas and they
use Apple Pay. I just got home from doing my pre-weekend resupply shopping,
and one of the stops was our local Trader Joe’s where I paid $62 via Apple
Pay using my iPhone.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 15:46:14 -0800
References: <dad330c1-f470-434c-8d55-ffda98386053@googlegroups.com> <071220170830501998%nospam@nospam.invalid> <f8t1dhFhak4U1@mid.individual.net> <071220170930578423%nospam@nospam.invalid> <fe7j2d5usbo81u5rn74bqt7cfnvrkovcjj@4ax.com> <071220171521404129%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hbbj2d558tb1e2fqm2sqblrfbsmqjv4vdi@4ax.com> <071220171615136875%nospam@nospam.invalid> <igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com> <0001HW.1FD9F7ED007BD9F970000FE282CF@news.giganews.com>
On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 14:27:57 -0800, Savageduck

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 18:48:20 -0500
References: <dad330c1-f470-434c-8d55-ffda98386053@googlegroups.com> <071220170830501998%nospam@nospam.invalid> <f8t1dhFhak4U1@mid.individual.net> <071220170930578423%nospam@nospam.invalid> <fe7j2d5usbo81u5rn74bqt7cfnvrkovcjj@4ax.com> <071220171521404129%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hbbj2d558tb1e2fqm2sqblrfbsmqjv4vdi@4ax.com> <071220171615136875%nospam@nospam.invalid> <igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com> <0001HW.1FD9F7ED007BD9F970000FE282CF@news.giganews.com> <rgkj2dtcn78jgockfsh3joldbknh4arld8@4ax.com>

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Full headers:
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:10:05 -0800
References: <f8t1dhFhak4U1@mid.individual.net> <071220170930578423%nospam@nospam.invalid> <fe7j2d5usbo81u5rn74bqt7cfnvrkovcjj@4ax.com> <071220171521404129%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hbbj2d558tb1e2fqm2sqblrfbsmqjv4vdi@4ax.com> <071220171615136875%nospam@nospam.invalid> <igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com> <0001HW.1FD9F7ED007BD9F970000FE282CF@news.giganews.com> <rgkj2dtcn78jgockfsh3joldbknh4arld8@4ax.com> <071220171848202540%nospam@nospam.invalid>

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 19:18:58 -0500
References: <f8t1dhFhak4U1@mid.individual.net> <071220170930578423%nospam@nospam.invalid> <fe7j2d5usbo81u5rn74bqt7cfnvrkovcjj@4ax.com> <071220171521404129%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hbbj2d558tb1e2fqm2sqblrfbsmqjv4vdi@4ax.com> <071220171615136875%nospam@nospam.invalid> <igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com> <0001HW.1FD9F7ED007BD9F970000FE282CF@news.giganews.com> <rgkj2dtcn78jgockfsh3joldbknh4arld8@4ax.com> <071220171848202540%nospam@nospam.invalid> <otlj2dhktibo1rm6sifo4foji9q91mkfr2@4ax.com>
In article<otlj2dhktibo1rm6sifo4foji9q91mkfr2@4ax.com>, Bill W<nothing@nowhere.com> wrote:

> >> It's crazy. In fact, both of the food stores I use had
> >> Android Pay, and now they don't. That's why I can't just go elsewhere
> >> - I'm not driving 10 miles for some bananas.
> >
> >did they say they no longer support it or did you try and it didn't
> >work?
>
> You know, that's another irritation. I ask the checkers, and they
> never know. They look at me like I'm crazy sometimes, so I always try
> it. I'm shocked when it does work, and it happens in places where I'd
> least expect it. Even the employees are sometimes shocked because it's
> the first time they've seen it. It's like some pathetic backwater
> around here.

it's not much different elsewhere. cashiers aren't hip to the mobile
payment scene. don't bother asking, just look for mobile payment logos
and/or 4 dots.

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:23:17 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <dad330c1-f470-434c-8d55-ffda98386053@googlegroups.com> <071220170830501998%nospam@nospam.invalid> <f8t1dhFhak4U1@mid.individual.net> <071220170930578423%nospam@nospam.invalid> <fe7j2d5usbo81u5rn74bqt7cfnvrkovcjj@4ax.com> <071220171521404129%nospam@nospam.invalid> <hbbj2d558tb1e2fqm2sqblrfbsmqjv4vdi@4ax.com> <071220171615136875%nospam@nospam.invalid> <igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com> <0001HW.1FD9F7ED007BD9F970000FE282CF@news.giganews.com> <rgkj2dtcn78jgockfsh3joldbknh4arld8@4ax.com>
On Dec 7, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in article<rgkj2dtcn78jgockfsh3joldbknh4arld8@4ax.com>):

> On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 14:27:57 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>  wrote:
>
> > On Dec 7, 2017, Bill W wrote
> > (in article<igcj2d5m8jo0d73jvihn2t8ljeliiiqfr0@4ax.com>):

> > > But more secure than handing it to the kid at the drive-through window
> > > at Jack in the Box. I do have to give the CC companies some credit,
> > > though: they have some pretty good algorithms for flagging sales. They
> > > picked up on sales that seemed perfectly innocuous to even me, and
> > > there have been no false positives at all, even for very large
> > > charges.

> > > Yep, big city living. You'd think Las Vegas would be a little further
> > > along.
> >
> > I believe that if you actually looked you would find that they are further
> > along than you thought. You have several Trader Joe’s in Las Vegas and
> > they
> > use Apple Pay. I just got home from doing my pre-weekend resupply shopping,
> > and one of the stops was our local Trader Joe’s where I paid $62 via Apple
> > Pay using my iPhone.
>
> Sure, the city in general, but for whatever reason the places I
> routinely go to don't have it, and lots of them don't even have chip
> readers. It's crazy. In fact, both of the food stores I use had
> Android Pay, and now they don't. That's why I can't just go elsewhere
> - I'm not driving 10 miles for some bananas.

10 miles!

I liveat Lake Nacimiento, 13 miles from town (Paso Robles), and I have to
make that drive before my shopping options are made. If I want to shop at
Trader Joe’s I have to drive another five miles South to Templeton. On an
average shopping day I have a 40 mile round trip. If for some reason I have
to go down to San Luis Obispo another 30 miles each way is added to that 40
miles.

BTW: Trader Joe’s sells much more than bananas, and I see they have three
branches in Ls Vegas.

--

Regards,
Savageduck