From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: ot. iPhone updates
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 16:23:08 -0500
In article<p09nap02o7m@news6.newsguy.com>, peter<peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net> wrote:

> Prior to getting my new iPhone I would be notified that there is an update
> available. I have had issues with my plus that have been solved by updating
> the iOS system. Both times I had not received a notice that an update was
> available that would fix the bug. Has anybody else had that issue, or is
> there a setting that I have missed. If it is a setting, which one?

updates can take a few days to appear for everyone, or you can request
it at any time.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 00:06:17 -0500
On 12/6/2017 4:23 PM, nospam wrote:
> In article<p09nap02o7m@news6.newsguy.com>, peter
><peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Prior to getting my new iPhone I would be notified that there is an update
>> available. I have had issues with my plus that have been solved by updating
>> the iOS system. Both times I had not received a notice that an update was
>> available that would fix the bug. Has anybody else had that issue, or is
>> there a setting that I have missed. If it is a setting, which one?
>
> updates can take a few days to appear for everyone, or you can request
> it at any time.

i used to get a notification that there was an update. Since I go the 8+
I have not been getting any.

--
PeterN

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 08:30:50 -0500
In article<p0ai8h12dv3@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

> >> Prior to getting my new iPhone I would be notified that there is an update
> >> available. I have had issues with my plus that have been solved by updating
> >> the iOS system. Both times I had not received a notice that an update was
> >> available that would fix the bug. Has anybody else had that issue, or is
> >> there a setting that I have missed. If it is a setting, which one?
> >
> > updates can take a few days to appear for everyone, or you can request
> > it at any time.
>
> i used to get a notification that there was an update. Since I go the 8+
> I have not been getting any.

what version does your 8+ currently have? you may be up to date already.

as i said, it sometimes may take a few days for it to check on its own.
11.2 was released over the weekend so it may not have checked yet, but
if you prefer, just manually request it.

Full headers:
From: peter <peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 7 Dec 2017 17:10:12 GMT
nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> updates can take a few days to appear for everyone, or you can request
>>> it at any time.
>>
>> i used to get a notification that there was an update. Since I go the 8+
>> I have not been getting any.
>
> what version does your 8+ currently have? you may be up to date already.
>
> as i said, it sometimes may take a few days for it to check on its own.
> 11.2 was released over the weekend so it may not have checked yet, but
> if you prefer, just manually request it.

I called support and was advised to bring in the phone, which I cannot do.
I’ve been poked around and found there was an update, which I installed and
the problem was fixed. My question is has Apple changed it’s policy? Or was
this just because they were In a rush to get the update out. The problem
was a serious one. I had no access to my contact list and could not use the
phone except with Siri or Bluetooth.

—
PeterN

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 13:55:07 -0500
In article<p0bslk0jmm@news6.newsguy.com>, peter<peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net> wrote:

> >> i used to get a notification that there was an update. Since I go the 8+
> >> I have not been getting any.
> >
> > what version does your 8+ currently have? you may be up to date already.
> >
> > as i said, it sometimes may take a few days for it to check on its own.
> > 11.2 was released over the weekend so it may not have checked yet, but
> > if you prefer, just manually request it.
>
> I called support and was advised to bring in the phone, which I cannot do.

no need.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 08:02:44 -0500
In article<p0e2i601dhk@news6.newsguy.com>, peter<peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net> wrote:

> Newsflash!
> There

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 20:28:07 -0500
On 12/8/2017 8:02 AM, nospam wrote:
> In article<p0e2i601dhk@news6.newsguy.com>, peter
><peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Newsflash!
>> There¹s a lot of us who use an iPhone to make telephone calls,
>
> not as many as you think. most people use smartphones for *other* stuff.
>
>> And send
>> text messages.
>
> that part is true. messaging is one of the most common uses.
>
>> I had the problem on Monday. Today is Thursday, and our
>> daughter was visiting with us had a similar problem on her iPhone eight.
>
> 8
>
>> She still had the problem today, and she had not been notified about the
>> fix.
>
> how many times do you have to be told that anyone can request an update
> at any time. there is no need to wait. if an update is available, they
> will have the option to install it.
>
> also, the problem you describe (as vague as it is), isn't one that's
> been circling the ios forums, so it's not as common as you might think.

And Trump had the largest crowd in history at his inauguration.

--
PeterN

Full headers:
From: peter <peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 8 Dec 2017 13:03:02 GMT
nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> what version does your 8+ currently have? you may be up to date already.
>>>
>>> as i said, it sometimes may take a few days for it to check on its own.
>>> 11.2 was released over the weekend so it may not have checked yet, but
>>> if you prefer, just manually request it.
>>
>> I called support and was advised to bring in the phone, which I cannot do.
>
> no need.
>
>> I¹ve been poked around and found there was an update, which I installed and
>> the problem was fixed.
>
> which is exactly what i said to do.
>
>> My question is has Apple changed it¹s policy?
>
> no.
>
>> Or was
>> this just because they were In a rush to get the update out.
>
> no.
>
> there are nearly 1 billion ios users, which means the update is not
> pushed to everyone at the exact same time. it's staggered over about a
> week or so.
>
> as i said before and will say again because you *still* don't get it,
> it may take a few days for everyone to see the update, however, you can
> check at any time and will get the latest currently available.
>
> microsoft does the same thing, but over an even longer period of time.
> creators update was *still* being rolled out this past fall, some six
> *months* after its initial rollout, right around the time fall creators
> update appeared.
>
>> The problem
>> was a serious one. I had no access to my contact list and could not use the
>> phone except with Siri or Bluetooth.
>
> that's it?

Newsflash!
There’s a lot of us who use an iPhone to make telephone calls, And send
text messages. I had the problem on Monday. Today is Thursday, and our

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 02:23:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Thursday, 7 December 2017 17:00:59 UTC, peter  wrote:
> nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> >> i used to get a notification that there was an update. Since I go the 8+
> >> I have not been getting any.
> >
> > what version does your 8+ currently have? you may be up to date already..
> >
> > as i said, it sometimes may take a few days for it to check on its own.
> > 11.2 was released over the weekend so it may not have checked yet, but
> > if you prefer, just manually request it.
> >

> I called support and was advised to bring in the phone, which I cannot do..
> I’ve been poked around and found there was an update, which I installed and
> the problem was fixed. My question is has Apple changed it’s policy? Or was
> this just because they were In a rush to get the update out. The problem
> was a serious one. I had no access to my contact list and could not use the
> phone except with Siri or Bluetooth.
>
> —
> PeterN

The only issue I found was that I was promted to install an IOS update (I got a little red circle
with a 1 in it on the systems icon) but I didn't want to install the update at that time so I hit
remind me later or not now whatever the option is to not do it immidiatly.
Then the little red circle disapeeared and I forgot all about the update, so wasn't promted again.
This is quite differnt from what I get on the iMac computer, where I'm always getting prompts to
install the lastest updates almost everyday or on restarts, and I get a "remind me tomorrow" "remind
me in 1 hour" options. etc...

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 06:30:16 -0500
In article<dd610909-1eac-4a97-ae9e-a43b927ad977@googlegroups.com>,
Whisky-dave<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

> The only issue I found was that I was promted to install an IOS update (I got
> a little red circle with a 1 in it on the systems icon) but I didn't want to
> install the update at that time so I hit remind me later or not now whatever
> the option is to not do it immidiatly.
> Then the little red circle disapeeared and I forgot all about the update, so
> wasn't promted again. This is quite differnt from what I get on the iMac
> computer, where I'm always getting prompts to install the lastest updates
> almost everyday or on restarts, and I get a "remind me tomorrow" "remind
> me in 1 hour" options. etc...

it's definitely not every day and it can be turned off if you prefer.

Full headers:
From: peter <peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 8 Dec 2017 18:30:36 GMT
Whisky-dave<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, 7 December 2017 17:00:59 UTC, peter  wrote:
>> nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> what version does your 8+ currently have? you may be up to date already.
>>>
>>> as i said, it sometimes may take a few days for it to check on its own.
>>> 11.2 was released over the weekend so it may not have checked yet, but
>>> if you prefer, just manually request it.
>>>

>> I called support and was advised to bring in the phone, which I cannot do.
>> I’ve been poked around and found there was an update, which I installed and
>> the problem was fixed. My question is has Apple changed it’s policy? Or was
>> this just because they were In a rush to get the update out. The problem
>> was a serious one. I had no access to my contact list and could not use the
>> phone except with Siri or Bluetooth.
>>
>> —
>> PeterN
>
> The only issue I found was that I was promted to install an IOS update (I
> got a little red circle with a 1 in it on the systems icon) but I didn't
> want to install the update at that time so I hit remind me later or not
> now whatever the option is to not do it immidiatly.
> Then the little red circle disapeeared and I forgot all about the update,
> so wasn't promted again. This is quite differnt from what I get on the
> iMac computer, where I'm always getting prompts to install the lastest
> updates almost everyday or on restarts, and I get a "remind me tomorrow"
> "remind me in 1 hour" options. etc...

I did not get the dot

--
PeterN

Full headers:
From: peter <peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 7 Dec 2017 14:35:55 GMT
nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article<p09nap02o7m@news6.newsguy.com>, peter
><peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Prior to getting my new iPhone I would be notified that there is an update
>> available. I have had issues with my plus that have been solved by updating
>> the iOS system. Both times I had not received a notice that an update was
>> available that would fix the bug. Has anybody else had that issue, or is
>> there a setting that I have missed. If it is a setting, which one?
>
> updates can take a few days to appear for everyone, or you can request
> it at any time.

The iPhone is a tool. I don’t want to have to check for updates every
minute.  When there is a fix for a known bug, the user should be notified.
That is what they used to do

--
PeterN

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 13:55:06 -0500
In article<p0bjkb026ra@news7.newsguy.com>, peter<peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net> wrote:

> >> Prior to getting my new iPhone I would be notified that there is an update
> >> available. I have had issues with my plus that have been solved by updating
> >> the iOS system. Both times I had not received a notice that an update was
> >> available that would fix the bug. Has anybody else had that issue, or is
> >> there a setting that I have missed. If it is a setting, which one?
> >
> > updates can take a few days to appear for everyone, or you can request
> > it at any time.
>
> The iPhone is a tool.

so are you.

> I don

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 23:03:44 -0500
On 12/7/2017 1:55 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> updates can take a few days to appear for everyone, or you can request
>>> it at any time.
>>
>> The iPhone is a tool.
>
> so are you.
>
>> I don¹t want to have to check for updates every
>> minute.
>
> nobody said you did.

Then when i have a semi=functional paper weight, how long should I wait
between checking for updates?
an hour?
a day?
wait a few days for an Apple store appointment?

Get real. I'm not in the mood for your crap. A lot of users don't use
Siri. Are you suggesting I go find a Bluetooth device so I can make a
call.  This is not one of the debates that you like to get involved in.
It is a serious issue. As for Apple policy, I am making my own queries,
and when I have an authoritative answer i will let the good people here
know.

--
PeterN

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 23:13:14 -0500
In article<p0d2v70b0m@news3.newsguy.com>, PeterN

> >> The iPhone is a tool.
> >
> > so are you.
> >
> >> I don1t want to have to check for updates every
> >> minute.
> >
> > nobody said you did.
>
> Then when i have a semi=functional paper weight, how long should I wait
> between checking for updates?
> an hour?
> a day?
> wait a few days for an Apple store appointment?

your original query was about why you didn't get an update
notification, which i explained multiple times.

if you're having a specific issue, that's different.

> Get real. I'm not in the mood for your crap.

i'm not in the mood for *yours*.

you wanted to know why updates don't magically appear for all users the
moment an updates is released and i told you. updates are staggered,
something any major company does, for reasons that should be obvious.

once again, if you want an update and it hasn't pushed to you yet, you
can request it. very simple.

> A lot of users don't use
> Siri. Are you suggesting I go find a Bluetooth device so I can make a
> call.

nobody suggested anything remotely close to that. more of your made up
idiocy

> This is not one of the debates that you like to get involved in.
> It is a serious issue.

i never said it wasn't serious. more of your made up idiocy.

> As for Apple policy, I am making my own queries,
> and when I have an authoritative answer i will let the good people here
> know.

i told you what their policies are with regards to updates.

Full headers:
From: peter <peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 8 Dec 2017 18:28:41 GMT
nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> so are you.

>>> nobody said you did.
>>
>> Then when i have a semi=functional paper weight, how long should I wait
>> between checking for updates?
>> an hour?
>> a day?
>> wait a few days for an Apple store appointment?
>
> your original query was about why you didn't get an update
> notification, which i explained multiple times.
>
> if you're having a specific issue, that's different.
>
>> Get real. I'm not in the mood for your crap.
>
> i'm not in the mood for *yours*.
>
> you wanted to know why updates don't magically appear for all users the
> moment an updates is released and i told you. updates are staggered,
> something any major company does, for reasons that should be obvious.
>
> once again, if you want an update and it hasn't pushed to you yet, you
> can request it. very simple.
>
>> A lot of users don't use
>> Siri. Are you suggesting I go find a Bluetooth device so I can make a
>> call.
>
> nobody suggested anything remotely close to that. more of your made up
> idiocy
>
>> This is not one of the debates that you like to get involved in.
>> It is a serious issue.
>
> i never said it wasn't serious. more of your made up idiocy.
>
>> As for Apple policy, I am making my own queries,
>> and when I have an authoritative answer i will let the good people here
>> know.
>
> i told you what their policies are with regards to updates.

If you are not b sing again, they changed their policy, which was my
original complaint

--
PeterN

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 13:39:34 -0500
In article<p0elkp0107q@news3.newsguy.com>, peter<peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net> wrote:

> >> As for Apple policy, I am making my own queries,
> >> and when I have an authoritative answer i will let the good people here
> >> know.
> >
> > i told you what their policies are with regards to updates.
>
> If you are not b sing again, they changed their policy, which was my
> original complaint

they have not.

Full headers:
From: peter <peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 8 Dec 2017 20:23:28 GMT
nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> i told you what their policies are with regards to updates.
>>
>> If you are not b sing again, they changed their policy, which was my
>> original complaint
>
> they have not.

Your statements are far from authoritative, unless you are part of the top
management at Apple.

--
PeterN

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 17:01:08 -0500
In article<p0esc002bes@news4.newsguy.com>, peter<peter.new.remove@removeverizon.net> wrote:

> >> If you are not b sing again, they changed their policy, which was my
> >> original complaint
> >
> > they have not.
>
> Your statements are far from authoritative, unless you are part of the top
> management at Apple.

nonsense. one need not be an apple employee at any level to know what
their software update policies are, and had something changed (which it
did not), it would have been widely reported in the usual apple-related
news sites and podcasts.

From: PeterN <peter.new@verizon.net>
Full headers:
From: PeterN <peter.new@verizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 17:52:53 -0500
On 12/8/2017 5:01 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> they have not.
>>
>> Your statements are far from authoritative, unless you are part of
>> the top management at Apple.
>
> nonsense. one need not be an apple employee at any level to know
> what their software update policies are, and had something changed
> (which it did not), it would have been widely reported in the usual
> apple-related news sites and podcasts.

You've had the last word, as you must have any discussion. Hope you are
happy.

--
PeterN

Subject: ot. iPhone updates
Full headers:

From: David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 09:56:37 +0000
On 06/12/2017 21:26, peter wrote:
> Prior to getting my new iPhone I would be notified that there is an update
> available. I have had issues with my plus that have been solved by updating
> the iOS system. Both times I had not received a notice that an update was
> available that would fix the bug. Has anybody else had that issue, or is
> there a setting that I have missed. If it is a setting, which one?
>

> —
> PeterN

Maybe you now need to subscribe to the Apple security notices?

   https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/security-announce/

--
Cheers,
David

Next <
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 08:30:51 -0500
In article <p0b38l$mhg$1@dont-email.me>, David Taylor<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> Maybe you now need to subscribe to the Apple security notices?

no